PDA

View Full Version : The Flex Offense

Solid D
07-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Since there has been so much talk lately about the role of a Center (5) versus the Power Forward (4) and how certain offenses allow for interchangeability with the Bigs, I found a fairly easy-to-understand, semi-automatic movement diagram of the basic Flex. Please note four basic rules of the Flex listed on the page, and you'll see why a "Classic 5" or "Classic 4" isn't as distinctive in these sets.

Rule #1 if you set a pick you will next get a pick.
Rule #2 when you get a pick you will next set a pick or catch a pass.
Rule #3 if you make a pass you set a pick
Rule #4 if you catch a pass you shoot or make a pass.

Just click on the advance (Play) arrow to move it through the options.

http://eteamz.active.com/basketball/instruction/tips/tip.cfm/412/

Solid D
07-01-2005, 11:50 AM
The Flex is a type of motion offense in the half court. Now, take a look at this page on another example of a Motion Offense, in this case a 3-out, 2-in motion. It doesn't have a step-by-step Play feature but you will probably recognize some of the positioning and elements of some of the Spurs half-court sets (Example: Diagram B where a player overplays the wing)

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/MotionOffense.shtml

E20
07-01-2005, 12:24 PM
People rammed the Flex Offense down my throat when I played. It works if you do it RIGHT and that is with good screens and good ball movement. It just sucks becasue the 3 postion depending on where the ball is has to run from corner to corner and once the 1 or the 2 run set the screen it was there turn to run the baseline for a pass. We didn't use flex that much because we never encountered that many Zone defenses.

Solid D
07-01-2005, 12:50 PM
That's cool except I don't understand what you mean by your last sentence. The Flex isn't designed to specifically attack a zone.

vanvannen
07-01-2005, 12:55 PM
This works perfectly well for Team Argentina and is the basic offensive set they use. They take advantage from it having a 4 that can shoot the 3. (Wolkowisky). I think it would work fine for the Spurs, as the 3 is usually Bowen being him the one that would be used to run from baseline to baseline and being probably our last offensive weapon. (if you are not setting for the 3p)

Rick Von Braun
07-01-2005, 12:58 PM
That's cool except I don't understand what you mean by your last sentence. The Flex isn't designed to specifically attack a zone. Furthermore, the flex is more specifically designed to attack man-to-man defenses. This is why you have all the picks, screens, etc. If the defenders stay put in the zone they are defending, it makes little sense.

E20
07-01-2005, 01:04 PM
That's cool except I don't understand what you mean by your last sentence. The Flex isn't designed to specifically attack a zone.
It's one of the two plays we used to use against a zone since it spreads it out. Sure you can use it against a 1 defense but, sometimes we he had to play against a 1-2-2 or a 2-3 zone so we had to use flex or play #2. Besides there are probably better plays to run against man, 4-down anyone?

E20
07-01-2005, 01:09 PM
What the Spurs should consider running aswell is the play 'Cal'. I'll try to explain it:

-The 4 and 5 start out on the blocks. The 2 and 3 are at the corners.
-The 1 is at the top of the key with the ball.
-The first option is passing it to the 2 or 3 and then the 2 or 3 takes a couple of dribbles towards the 1 and passes it back to him(2nd pass)
-Once the 2nd pass is intiated the 2 or 3 back pedals and the 4 or 5 depending on which side they are on backpicks his defender then the 1 lobs it to the 2 or 3 for a corner trey.
- The 2nd option of the play is if the 4 or 5's man comes to help on the shooter then the person setting the pick should be open to cut to the basket for a layup.

A good play to run with Bruce IMO.

gus
07-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Yep,

Most teams in the Olimpics play zone. Argentina used the Flex to beat it.