PDA

View Full Version : New Kings/Sonics organitzation targeting Buford.

Kuestmaster
01-21-2013, 02:55 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski@WojYahooNBA

Y! Sources: To overhaul Kings organization, new Seattle group has discussed targeting Spurs' R.C. Buford, Larry Bird

I doubt RC would be willing to consider it, but you never know.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-21-2013, 03:00 AM
Well he might as well decide to quit being an assitant GM and become a full time one ;)

PÒÓCH
01-21-2013, 03:01 AM
The Spurs better not let him go, it'd be as bad as letting Timmy go.

scanry
01-21-2013, 03:07 AM
Don't think Buford would leave the Spurs anytime soon. Pop has anyway given him the reigns to the organization.

Kuestmaster
01-21-2013, 03:11 AM
If he wants to spread spurs style ala Sam Presti maybe he leaves and Pop becomes the full time GM-coach. I don't know if that's even possible, but for sure Pop is the coach with more power in his team right now.

freetiago
01-21-2013, 03:14 AM
only thing left to strip is bud and brett brown tbh
i can see bud leaving within 3 years and brown im not sure
i know bud was heavily sought after about 1 or 2 seasons ago

racm
01-21-2013, 03:15 AM
Why does this man have no Executive of the Year yet, despite a killer resume, especially last season?

1. Traded George Hill for Kawhi Leonard, a move that has paid dividends for both teams involved
2. Traded HWMNBN for Stephen Jackson. HWMNBN is routinely getting DNP-CDs whilst Jackson hit big shots in the previous playoffs.
3. Claimed Boris Diaw off waivers. He's our third best big.
4. Signed Patrick Mills after a stint in China. He's our best towel waver.

:lol

Sean Cagney
01-21-2013, 03:38 AM
The Spurs better not let him go, it'd be as bad as letting Timmy go.

LOL not as bad as TIM GONE but not good.

spurs1990
01-21-2013, 03:38 AM
I think Pop has already held the dual title of GM/Coach for a number of years.

The article did mention Seattle offering Buford equity in the franchise. Hard to pass up that moolah.

Either way I'm positive the Spurs have a strong figure to take his place if he departs.

racm
01-21-2013, 03:49 AM

The article did mention Seattle offering Buford equity in the franchise. Hard to pass up that moolah.

Either way I'm positive the Spurs have a strong figure to take his place if he departs.

Pop held it from the time he took the coaching reins until he promoted RC to GM. IIRC Pop's still President of Basketball Ops, so he still gets the final say.

And we could have Danny Ferry replace him!... oh, wait. :lol

lmbebo
01-21-2013, 06:06 AM
doubt he leaves. but hope he doesn't. Guessing RC would have to ask permission, would he? I think he would at least to gauge his value

boutons_deux
01-21-2013, 06:11 AM
If the offer is MANY $Ms more, anybody would take the money.

TDMVPDPOY
01-21-2013, 06:38 AM
show me the money....

Richie
01-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Lets be honest, when Pop retires from coaching in a couple years he'll move upstairs ala Pat Riley. Maybe Buford wants to run his own team.

Mel_13
01-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Pop won't stand in Buford's way if a better position is available elsewhere, but I believe the chances of RC leaving are small. It's reasonable to assume that RC and Bud have had chances to leave in the past and have stayed. To me, that means that they are aware of the succession plans when Pop retires and that RC will get all the power that Pop currently has over basketball ops and Bud will become HC.

I also believe that Pop leaves the NBA when he retires as HC.

Richie
01-21-2013, 09:27 AM
You don't think Pop will move back upstairs after he retires? Buford will probably take an enlarged role but I'd be surprised if Pop just left the Spurs completely after more than 20 years.

TDMVPDPOY
01-21-2013, 09:41 AM
sshould leave the sinking ship atm

therealtruth
01-21-2013, 09:59 AM
I don't like the idea of the Seattle group stealing the Kings. They had the same thing happen to them and want to do the same thing to another team.

exstatic
01-21-2013, 10:57 AM

Pop surrendered the GM title almost 14 years ago. It was in the summer of 1999, after Sean announced his kidney disease and they were chasing after Lamond Murray. His agent totally fucked over Pop after reaching an agreement. He let RC Negotiate the deal with Will Perdue, who had the same agent. I believe it was official within a year.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Pop surrendered the GM title almost 14 years ago. It was in the summer of 1999, after Sean announced his kidney disease and they were chasing after Lamond Murray. His agent totally fucked over Pop after reaching an agreement. He let RC Negotiate the deal with Will Perdue, who had the same agent. I believe it was official within a year.

I remember that very well. He went to Cleveland instead. The Spurs dodged a bullet big time there. Probably might have played a bit of a role in getting Bowen too.

Bartleby
01-21-2013, 11:05 AM
I also believe that Pop leaves the NBA when he retires as HC.

Same here. I don't see him doing anything with basketball after the Duncan era.

timvp
01-21-2013, 11:28 AM
RC, for his drafting skills alone, would be a horrible loss for the Spurs. When talking about then next 10-15 years, RC is probably the most important person in the whole organization.

Budkin
Won't happen. Why would RC leave?

Spur|n|Austin
Why does this man have no Executive of the Year yet, despite a killer resume, especially last season?

1. Traded George Hill for Kawhi Leonard, a move that has paid dividends for both teams involved
2. Traded HWMNBN for Stephen Jackson. HWMNBN is routinely getting DNP-CDs whilst Jackson hit big shots in the previous playoffs.
3. Claimed Boris Diaw off waivers. He's our third best big.
4. Signed Patrick Mills after a stint in China. He's our best towel waver.

:lol

It really is baffling; I thought last year was his season to win it.

timvp
01-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Won't happen. Why would RC leave?

Everyone has their price.

When you start talking about equity in a franchise, that's going to be difficult to turn down.

Kermit
01-21-2013, 11:34 AM

When you start talking about equity in a franchise, that's going to be difficult to turn down.

True. Holt and the minority should step up with some equity in the Spurs and a designated driver to boot.

Redshadows
01-21-2013, 12:38 PM
RC could be GM for a lot of years in the future.

Don't want to lose RC.

benefactor
01-21-2013, 12:43 PM
True. Holt and the minority should step up with some equity in the Spurs and a designated driver to boot.
:lol :tu

I agree with Mel. He will stay.

will_spurs
01-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Equity + a rebuilding franchise... that's a much better opportunity than just going to any random franchise that's likely to be a lot less successful and a lot more stupid than the Spurs.

Darkwaters
01-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Keeping RC around is incredibly important. If the Kings/Sonics abscond with him then, well, that'd suck.

Redshadows
01-21-2013, 12:48 PM

timvp, when will RC's contract with Spurs end?

timvp
01-21-2013, 12:52 PM
timvp, when will RC's contract with Spurs end?

RC's contract status has never been made public, AFAIK. I have no idea how much he makes from the Spurs or how long he's under contract. I'd think/hope at least around $2 million -- considering Pop makes in the $7-8M ballpark -- but I really have no idea.

Redshadows
01-21-2013, 01:08 PM
RC's contract status has never been made public, AFAIK. I have no idea how much he makes from the Spurs or how long he's under contract. I'd think/hope at least around $2 million -- considering Pop makes in the $7-8M ballpark -- but I really have no idea.
Thanks.

Hopefully the Spurs could keep him.

Kermit
01-21-2013, 01:17 PM
I assume the Sonics are targeting the most successful G.M.'s, but how would a Phil Jackson/R.C. Buford dynamic work? Because rumors are rampant that Phil's joining the franchise when they move (in a front office capacity). There is probably no love lost between Phil and the principal players within the Spurs organization. It could greatly effect R.C.'s decision making process if he has to work with Phil on a daily basis. Of course, equity in a team and $2-3 million more a year could cure any ill will.

Steve-O-Matic
01-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Personal financial motivations nothwithstanding, RC has nothing left to accomplish/prove with the Spurs, so I could easily see him being drawn to the challenge of architecting the rebirth of the 'new' Sonics franchise as it coincides with the twilight of the Duncan/Ginobili/et al dynasty years in San Antonio. That's not a prediction, just an acknowledgement of the potential allure from a career path perspective for Buford. We'll see what happens.

Solid D
01-21-2013, 01:59 PM
RC is the President and General Manager of 4 Sports Franchises plus the AT&T Center (SS&E).

Yeah, the best run NBA team over the past 15 years, a strong WNBA organization, an AHL hockey club and the reigning D-League champion. What could Seattle offer him that wouldn't be a step down?

DPG21920
01-21-2013, 02:03 PM
More money and more authority. Currently he contends with Pop who is the clear voice and leader of the organization. Not saying it's likely, but to some people that matters.

spursfan1000
01-21-2013, 02:34 PM
I could easily see him moving for more money ...

Solid D
01-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Naturally, more money could be offered. From an authority standpoint, Pop is the President and head coach of Spurs Basketball but he doesn't run the other sports franchises, nor the AT&T Center ops.

Solid D
01-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Basically, the Seattle ownership could serve as investors-only and then offer RC the Chairman and CEO duties, if they were actually willing to give that type of control to him. Now that could be a step up as long as the duties and authority were commensurate with the title.

With Spurs Sports & Entertainment, Peter Holt has the Chairman & CEO authority... but he has ownership shares.

Bruno
01-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Spurs should do whatever it takes to keep Buford.

To me, having a good GM is more difficult and more important than having a good coach because the NBA is a player's league.

Juggity
01-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Not sure I would ever be able to forgive the Sonics if they stole Buford, drunkard though he might be. Fuck you, Sonics. Hands off.

bigfan
01-21-2013, 04:49 PM
It is a league of professionals and it is up to Mr Holt and Co. to insure RC sticks around. I do not fault any player, coach or management type from seeking to move up the food chain. Its obvious to any Spurs fan RC is almost as important as Pop and more important than any individual player to having a sucessful Spurs franchise.

exstatic
01-21-2013, 06:44 PM
I'd be wary of the new SEA ownership group until they have some sort of track record. Ballmer strikes me as a meddling owner type. RC knows he'll be more or less the shot caller here without ownership interference.

DPG21920
01-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Spurs should do whatever it takes to keep Buford.

To me, having a good GM is more difficult and more important than having a good coach because the NBA is a player's league.

Doesn't Pop have quite a bit of say in personnel decisions? I agree with you about Buford but the Spurs seem to be in a unique spot with a coach that seemingly makes the big FO decisions as well.

DPG21920
01-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Basically, the Seattle ownership could serve as investors-only and then offer RC the Chairman and CEO duties, if they were actually willing to give that type of control to him. Now that could be a step up as long as the duties and authority were commensurate with the title.

With Spurs Sports & Entertainment, Peter Holt has the Chairman & CEO authority... but he has ownership shares.

Do you really think RC cares about the Toros, Sstars...? Honest question. You seem to think it's a big deal, but to most the only thing that matters in SSE is Spurs.

Dex
01-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Source: Buford will not be going anywhere (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/01/21/source-buford-will-not-be-going-anywhere/)