PDA

View Full Version : Varejao out for the season

ElNono
01-21-2013, 11:53 AM

Sucks for Andy. Some peeps here wanted to trade Splitter for him. Dodged a bullet, tbh.

PingPong
01-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Varejão is the brazilian center version of Manu Ginobili. Always playing in kamikaze mode. And almost half of the cavs team following the path. Half of them played with masks to protect their fractured bones.

spursmartyr
01-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Never wanted to part with Tiago for him. Only asked that the Spurs trade the turd towers and maybe the chucker for him.

Cry Havoc
01-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Crazy way to have your season end.

Brunodf
01-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Good player but is injury prone, i wouldn't trade Splitter for him.

biskvito
01-21-2013, 12:37 PM
bummer, I love to watch him play

seems Nene is doing well this season:
http://dc.sbnation.com/2013/1/10/3856928/nene-hilario-statistical-analysis-washington-wizards-2013

benefactor
01-21-2013, 12:38 PM
lol me

Never have I seen so many freak injuries to one player. Many people labeled him injury prone but I don't think that was really the case as he never had any sort of recurrent chronic injury. He just seems to get strange random major injuries. Crazy.

Strategic
01-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Sucks for Andy. Some peeps here wanted to trade Splitter for him. Dodged a bullet, tbh.

Sorry when any of the good guys have an injury. I wonder if the Cavs can get any cap relief due to this loss?

KL2
01-21-2013, 12:45 PM
They said I had blood clots but I ain't Jamaican man....

timtonymanu
01-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Sucks for Varejao.

He was having quite a season. At the same time, Splitter has figured things out here and is playing on a high level. The Spurs definitely dodged a bullet.

timvp
01-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Bullet dodged for multiple reasons:

1) Cavs were 5-21 when he went down. Since his injury, they are 5-11. That's a pretty drastic improvement when losing a guy so many around here thought was so good.

2) With Varejao out, Tristan Thompson has been able to step in and start racking up the same gaudy-stats-that-confuse-NBA-fans-into-thinking-he's-great-but-actually-he's-just-on-a-bad-team-that-lacks-production-in-the-middle. In those 16 games, Thompson is averaging 13.6 points and 12.1 rebounds. That's pretty darn close to what the great Varejao was doing.

3) Splitter in the starting lineup has done better than Varejao could ever do. Splitter fits into how the Spurs play. Varejao -- who does most of his damage on the offensive boards -- really doesn't. Add in Splitter's high basketball IQ compared to Varejao's low basketball IQ and it's no contest.

4) Trading quality assets for an injury-prone role-playing bigman on the wrong side of 30 is always a bad idea. This is the latest proof.

I'm thankful the Spurs didn't mistake the mirage of Varejao's numbers and make a dumb trade for him.

benefactor
01-21-2013, 12:53 PM
bene wrong about det Splitter. Glad I was.

DPG21920
01-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Poor CLE too. I like Andy, I actually think he's a solid defender but he has to be in the right system. I thought Andy might be a good fit, not because of rebounding, but his ability to defend but Splitter has shown to be better. CLE blew a chance at moving him. I am sure they had some offers, but it seems based on some reports their asking price was a little high (IIRC). If they turned down any offer that would have brought back a pick(s) and/or a pretty decent young player they will be kicking themselves.

spursfan1000
01-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Lol Cleveland they should have traded his ass when they had the chance

ace3g
01-21-2013, 02:36 PM
One of the main sports guys mentioned on twitter a while back that Varejao will miss out on a $1 million bonus if he (most likely) would have made the all star team.

superbigtime
01-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Sucks. Always have liked this guy. But glad There was no Splitter trade.

BRs.Ganso
01-21-2013, 03:15 PM
blame on Byron Scott

he knows Varejao can't play more than 32 minutes every night, and he played 37...

thanks dumbass.

maverick1948
01-21-2013, 03:15 PM
What about offering them Blair for their's or Orlando's 2nd pick? He would be their #3 big.

Bruno
01-21-2013, 03:28 PM
After Al Harrington getting a staph infection this summer, that's the second time in less than a year that a NBA player has serious complications after a surgery. NBA players have a crazy amount of surgeries and I doubt all of them are necessary. Maybe it's time for NBA franchises/players to remember that surgeries should be a last resort option and that there are some risks with them. While I'm not a Doctor, common sense tell me that the surgery first approach most NBA teams have isn't the right one.

phxspurfan
01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
2) With Varejao out, Tristan Thompson has been able to step in and start racking up the same gaudy-stats-that-confuse-NBA-fans-into-thinking-he's-great-but-actually-he's-just-on-a-bad-team-that-lacks-production-in-the-middle. In those 16 games, Thompson is averaging 13.6 points and 12.1 rebounds. That's pretty darn close to what the great Varejao was doing.

Thanks for the fantasy advice! :lol

Paranoid Pop
01-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Poor CLE too. I like Andy, I actually think he's a solid defender but he has to be in the right system. I thought Andy might be a good fit, not because of rebounding, but his ability to defend but Splitter has shown to be better. CLE blew a chance at moving him. I am sure they had some offers, but it seems based on some reports their asking price was a little high (IIRC). If they turned down any offer that would have brought back a pick(s) and/or a pretty decent young player they will be kicking themselves.

Really?

Splitter is probably a better fit next to Tim but that's it.

Paranoid Pop
01-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Bullet dodged for multiple reasons:

1) Cavs were 5-21 when he went down. Since his injury, they are 5-11. That's a pretty drastic improvement when losing a guy so many around here thought was so good.

Doesn't mean much without the SoS. If we lose Splitter and win 20 in a row like last year then he was overrated?

3) Splitter in the starting lineup has done better than Varejao could ever do. Splitter fits into how the Spurs play. Varejao -- who does most of his damage on the offensive boards -- really doesn't. Add in Splitter's high basketball IQ compared to Varejao's low basketball IQ and it's no contest.

Then again someone like McGee could do better than Splitter could ever dream of doing in that same system...

Splitter starting hurt the offense and he's not even a good defender, so really I'd trade him in a heart beat for a monkeyballer who can rebound/defend at elite level if we're gonna go away form the stretch PF formula. Especially since they will have to overpay to keep him.

timvp
01-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Doesn't mean much without the SoS. If we lose Splitter and win 20 in a row like last year then he was overrated?

SoS can't make the difference up between 5-21 and 5-11. Just not statistically possible.

And that was an odd non sequitur strawman you threw out there.

Then again someone like McGee could do better than Splitter could ever dream of doing in that same system...

McGee has a high ceiling so it's possible ... but not really probably. McGee reaching his ceiling is doubtful. Besides, when I think of a player capable of playing in a sophisticated system, McGee doesn't exactly jump out of my brain, tbh.

Paranoid Pop
01-21-2013, 05:08 PM
It's just that Splitter being the second coming all of a sudden kinda surprises me, he's doing ok but PF is still the second weakest starting position after SG and very much upgradable imo.

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Spurs have been top 5 in the NBA in least points allowed in the paint since Splitter was inserted into the starting lineup, and that number isn't even pace-adjusted..

Paranoid Pop seems to choose certain players and blindly hate, tbh..

Splitter is a better secondary big than 1 of the 2 starters at PF/C on 75% the teams in the NBA, tbh..

Paranoid Pop
01-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Spurs have been top 5 in the NBA in least points allowed in the paint since Splitter was inserted into the starting lineup, and that number isn't even pace-adjusted..

Paranoid Pop seems to choose certain players and blindly hate, tbh..

Splitter is a better secondary big than 1 of the 2 starters at PF/C on 75% the teams in the NBA, tbh..

Let's look at the contenders :

Clippers : DeAndre Jordan has a better hook shot and play better D, just a better player overall
NY : if you consider the FT to be Chandler Anthony, it's not even a debate
Heat and OKC : better than their shitty centers but they can go small any time so really it's very circumstantial he's not good enough to dictate the match up so even if he's better it's useless in PO situation, because then it becomes Bosh Lebron and Durant Ibaka (Ibaka destroyed him the last time let's not forget)
Grizz : both are better, not close

But yeah he's probably better than some of FT starters of the shitty teams...

Paranoid Pop
01-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Some dark horses :

Jazz : both are better, their two bigs coming off the bench are probably better as well
Wolves : both are better
Bucks : both are probably better, depends of lineups
Indiana : both are better
Lakers : both are better

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Your argument is that you would rather find an elite defensive player/rebounder, or a stretch 4..

Your examples are Deandre Jordan, a guy that isn't even trusted to see minutes in clutch time and for large stretches in the 4th quarter..and your other example is Memphis, which is obviously superior..

Your stretch 4 examples are Carmelo, Durant and Lebron:lol..

So, basically, it wouldn't be realistic for the Spurs to find an upgrade over the 2 best players in the NBA and another top 5 player:lol..and your only legit example amongst post players is Randolph-Gasol, the best frontcourt in the NBA..

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Some dark horses :

Jazz : both are better, their two bigs coming off the bench are probably better as well
Wolves : both are better
Bucks : both are probably better, depends of lineups
Indiana : both are better
Lakers : both are better

Utah is the only correct example..

Minnesota and LA's frontcourts can't play together, they are going to dismantle their frontcourts during the off-season, so moot point..

Milwaukee?..Larry Sanders and who?..Ilyasova has been atrocious all year..

Indiana could be, but both Hibbert and West are atrocious on one end of the floor..

Paranoid Pop
01-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Utah is the only correct example..

Minnesota and LA's frontcourts can't play together, they are going to dismantle their frontcourts during the off-season, so moot point..

Milwaukee?..Larry Sanders and who?..Ilyasova has been atrocious all year..

Indiana could be, but both Hibbert and West are atrocious on one end of the floor..

27 points 14 rebounds 4 assists 1 TO in his last game, in 26 minutes btw, when was the last time Splitter go that many rebounds... He has struggled but they had a terrible coach/rotation...

Splitter is way better at PF than Green at SG that said, and I'm hopeful about his progress but I'm not sure I'm that confident about him in PO settings.

Paranoid Pop
01-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Your argument is that you would rather find an elite defensive player/rebounder, or a stretch 4..

Your examples are Deandre Jordan, a guy that isn't even trusted to see minutes in clutch time and for large stretches in the 4th quarter..and your other example is Memphis, which is obviously superior..

Your stretch 4 examples are Carmelo, Durant and Lebron:lol..

So, basically, it wouldn't be realistic for the Spurs to find an upgrade over the 2 best players in the NBA and another top 5 player:lol..and your only legit example amongst post players is Randolph-Gasol, the best frontcourt in the NBA..

BY opposition to Splitter who got successfully hacked last year...

DPG21920
01-21-2013, 06:39 PM
BY opposition to Splitter who got successfully hacked last year...

And what has DeAndre done to improve that? How about Splitter?

TheSkeptic
01-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Sucks for Varejao. The thought was probably never on the FO's minds, but it's a good thing the Spurs didn't trade for him.

Dr. Robert Lee
01-21-2013, 09:37 PM
LOL at all those that wanted him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-21-2013, 10:10 PM
I thought Andy would have been a great fit here, but yeah, health was the one concern with him and we dodged a bullet by not trading for him.

As for Splitter, he has grown so much since becoming a regular starter that he has made that potential trade, and any other, pretty much irrelevant.

Harlem mentioned Ilyasova - if we could package Bonner, Blair and Neal for him I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I don't thing the salaries match. Kid can play, but Skiles messed with his head - all he needs is a regular role and he'll find his game again.

PÒÓCH
01-21-2013, 10:17 PM
What position does Varejao play for in the Spurs team? for some reason I don't remeber him, He is a Spur right? this is a Spurs forum right?

Raven
01-21-2013, 10:20 PM
my fantasy team just got mitchslapped, ouch.

timtonymanu
01-21-2013, 10:20 PM
What position does Varejao play for in the Spurs team? for some reason I don't remeber him, He is a Spur right? this is a Spurs forum right?

Umm ... he's being mentioned around here because of Spurs fans interest in him. So yeah, it is relevant.

RD2191
01-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Umm ... he's being mentioned around here because of Spurs fans interest in him. So yeah, it is relevant.
lmao sounds like some timtonymanu would say

timtonymanu
01-21-2013, 10:21 PM
That doesn't make any sense.

:lol following me around

RD2191
01-21-2013, 10:22 PM
sounds like something timtonymanu would say, tbh

RD2191
01-21-2013, 10:22 PM
dammit, wasnt following you, and wrong quote, son of a biscuit

timtonymanu
01-21-2013, 10:24 PM
rofl robdiaz self-owned

RD2191
01-21-2013, 10:25 PM
yes, that was a fail on my part

Samr.
01-21-2013, 10:42 PM

Yeah but he can still clot up the lane!!

.... I mean "clog." Clog up the lane.

L.I.T
01-22-2013, 03:52 AM
27 points 14 rebounds 4 assists 1 TO in his last game, in 26 minutes btw, when was the last time Splitter go that many rebounds... He has struggled but they had a terrible coach/rotation...

Splitter is way better at PF than Green at SG that said, and I'm hopeful about his progress but I'm not sure I'm that confident about him in PO settings.

January 9.

Spursfanfromafar
01-22-2013, 04:02 AM
While it is one thing to compare Splitter with a hustling, hard working center like Varejao (who is unfortunately injured again), it is plain stupidity that some clowns talk about McGee in the same breath as Splitter.

McGee is the most dumbest (per talent/ skill/ height) player in the NBA right now. It is no wonder that despite routine wow and what-the-eff moments, he hardly plays more than 15-20 minutes and can't supplant a stiff named Kosta Koufos in the Nuggets team.