PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs @ Sixers - Jan. 21

timvp
01-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Tim Duncan A
The rest did him good. Very strong on both ends. Came up huge in the fourth. The one player who was consistent.

Tony Parker B+
Great in the first half but fell off a cliff in the second half before recovering late. Production was important.

Kawhi Leonard B+
A roller-coaster of an outing. Had a lot of positives along with handful of mistakes. Difference-maker in the 4th.

Danny Green C
Couldn’t hit from the outside. Became hesitant. To his credit, his D was relatively steady. Played hard.

Tiago Splitter B
Rebounding was great. Interior defense was strong. On O, played a starring role in the collapse.

Boris Diaw C-
Poor rebounding and D was iffy. Passing was commendable but was too sloppy. Adequately aggressive.

Gary Neal D+
Slump continues. Led the 2nd half collapse. Can’t create offense right now. Doesn’t do anything else.

Nando De Colo B-
Produced well. Perhaps most importantly, didn’t turn it over. Unfortunately, his playmaking was poor in the 4th.

Stephen Jackson F+
Horrible offensively; didn’t do anything but miss shots. D was slightly better but still bad. Doesn’t look healthy.

Matt Bonner C-
His encore was underwhelming. Didn’t do much on offense; few open looks. D was decent at best.

Pop B
Appeared to bungle the 4th rotation-wise … but it worked out. Sticking with Leonard paid off.

Bruno
01-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Thanks, for the quick grade.

Without Manu, the bench is obviously very vulnerable and it almost cost the game for Spurs.

BTW, playoffs included, it's Pop's 998th win...

Dr. Robert Lee
01-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Nando wasn't spectacular, but he made a real case for the backup PG position, tbh.

Stephen Jackson is so scrubby right now. Has been all season, tbh. Gary Neal is a scrub, too, tbh. Brickmaster, tbh.

freetiago
01-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Splitter only shot the ball twice in the 4th and 0 times in the 3rd
chuckers on the team were ignoring him
also got hacked bad on two drives and got no calls
cant say its a collapse when no one even attempts to get him invovled

Greens offball/screen defense continues to be terrible
iirc spurs were in the bottom 5 in the nba last year at defending it and its probably still that way this year

With splitter starting and Manu out the bench is to weak to get cocky and overplay them
diaw is to passive to count on
neal is also inconsistent, hes like green all or nothing
Jackson hasnt ever made any shots in the reg season in his 2 years here
de colo is still getting use to the game but his shot selection isnt that great
either passed up layups or shot offbalance 2s

HeroSquad
01-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Nando is running point with Tiago, the Spurs never seem to run the pick and roll. Is Manu's absence to blame? Can Nando not run the pick and roll effectively? I feel like he would be somewhat successful, and at the very least it would keep Gary Neal from hoisting those ridiculous shots.

Darius Bieber
01-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Another good thing: Memphis, LA Clippers, and OKC ALL lost today.

Mouth is Bleeding
01-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Nando is running point with Tiago, the Spurs never seem to run the pick and roll. Is Manu's absence to blame? Can Nando not run the pick and roll effectively? I feel like he would be somewhat successful, and at the very least it would keep Gary Neal from hoisting those ridiculous shots.

Good question.

bklynspursfan
01-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Bench had a tough game. They're usually at the very least if not able to get stops, able to put up points. Can't be too mad at them having an off night, that's why we have stars to close out these kind of games.

4-20 shooting from the bench tonight. That won't happen very often

DesertSpur50
01-21-2013, 10:35 PM

I thinks its due to Manu being a better driver and finisher than de colo. Manu gets the defensive attention from other teams that Nando does not which makes the PnR more effective. If Nando can become more of a scoring threat by penetrating the PnR will open up for him.

TheSkeptic
01-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks as always Timvp.

I'd just like to disagree with Neal's grade. His shooting has been ridiculous as of late and I'm seriously thinking that the Spurs would be better off if his shot attempts were split between Tiago and Kawhi. And also, Pop needs to make the pick and roll with Tiago the main focal point for the second unit again. It didn't work out this time (but then again Splitter only took what 3 shots in the second half?) but I'd feel a lot better about our bench if it was predicated on something like that rather than Neal/Jax/point guard rushing shots on the perimeter as the first option as opposed to the last resort it should be.

Plus I think those screens may be helpful for Manu since he probably shouldn't be running the offense against teams like the Clippers.

freetiago
01-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Nando with Splitter was really effective in a few games when they ran it
but neal is usually handling the ball and chucking

benfti
01-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Im starting to get the impression that Mills might be on the block with Blair

timtonymanu
01-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Im starting to get the impression that Mills might be on the block with Blair

IMO, I think it's just Pop is experimenting again. Nando's been getting alot of DNP's lately. I guess maybe now it's Patty's turn so Pop can see what Nando has.

objective
01-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Mills can veto any trade because of his contract situation.

HeroSquad
01-21-2013, 10:44 PM
I thinks its due to Manu being a better driver and finisher than de colo. Manu gets the defensive attention from other teams that Nando does not which makes the PnR more effective. If Nando can become more of a scoring threat by penetrating the PnR will open up for him.

I figured that this was the likely culprit. Recalling the Miami game though (I know, small sample size), Nando was really effective running the pick and roll with Splitter. He rarely ever drove it to the basket and usually opted to reset the play instead rather than attack the basket. It might be a confidence issue at this point; he really seems to play conservative as of late, handing PG duties to Jackson or Neal. It almost cost the Spurs tonight as both those guys played poorly. I just wish he were a little more aggressive, but I suppose a lot of that is just Pop playing more conservative with a Manu-less bench.

maverick1948
01-21-2013, 10:58 PM
I think Bonner might be more effective on the court if TP would pass him the ball when he is open. Not even gonna to comment on the Chucker Neal who took shots when an extra pass might have gotten us a basket from Bonner who was open twice. When we stopped sharing the ball we lost our lead. Happens every game, either the bench or the starters stop sharing the ball and we give up that lead and have to work to get the W.

Capt Bringdown
01-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Green, Neal, Diaw, Jackson & Bonner a combined 5 for 25.

td4mvp21
01-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Everyone outside of Duncan, Parker, Splitter, and Leonard needs to get their heads out of their asses. With Ginobili out it's time to step up, not shrivel up and put up 5-25 combined. Diaw and Neal are beyond frustrating.

RodNIc91
01-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Nice thoughts Timvp:toast Great work. When do you think Pop will get over his mad scientist routine and tighten up the rotation? Can you further give your thoughts on Jax's recent play? Should we start panicking?

Thomas82
01-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Props to Tim Duncan for another dominant game tonight!! In 34 minutes he had 24 points, 17 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, and a block.....Also, shout out to Tim Duncan for passing Jerry Lucas for 15th place on the all-time rebounding list!!! FYI: Jerry Lucas is the only power forward in NBA history with a 40-rebound game. Next up for TD is Buck Williams with 13,017 rebounds.

Darkwaters
01-21-2013, 11:28 PM
The ESPN recap of the game is one of the sloppiest articles I've read in a while. Several significant grammatical and common sense mistakes.

Kawhi Leonard dunked off a turnover, then buried a 3 off a defensive board to tie it 88-all. Duncan's jumper made it 84-82 and Parker swished one the next time down.

The final score was 90-85, right? Did I miss something?

Andrew Bynum, out all season with knee injured knees, said before the game that he remained on target to return around the all-star break.

Not even sure what that is all about.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400278331

Boomersgold
01-21-2013, 11:34 PM
Green, Neal, Diaw, Jackson & Bonner a combined 5 for 25.

Isn't it the point guard's duty to get these guys open shots?

TDMVPDPOY
01-22-2013, 12:07 AM
Isn't it the point guard's duty to get these guys open shots?

say his name mofo, say it....

turkish spurs fan
01-22-2013, 12:19 AM
duncan should be A+

sananspursfan21
01-22-2013, 12:21 AM
wow, i would have watched the second half had i thought for a second the sixers would make it a close game

Dr. Robert Lee
01-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Fkn scrubs on the bench can't rebound outside of NANDO. Diaw with one motherfucking rebound in 18 MINUTES. Fucking scrubbingly pathetic.

NANDO with THREE rebounds (and four assists!) in 14 minutes while the rest of the bench combines for two rebounds in 66 minutes. Neal collects an egg for boards in 23 minutes. Fucking scrub. Chucker. Dude's shooting 41.8% from the floor this season. Fucking scrub, PATHETIC!

99 Problems
01-22-2013, 01:14 AM
Mills can veto any trade because of his contract situation.

Yes he can. But when or if you are on the outer the management might be upfront and say well if you decide to stay you will ride the bench as you are not in our plans moving forward. There is no doubt there are teams where he plays more minutes for sure. But as already mentioned probably just Pop still trying different things.

TrainOfThought5
01-22-2013, 01:29 AM
lol what does Duncan have to do to get an A+???

Man In Black
01-22-2013, 02:23 AM
It seems that TD's running gait has a slight hitch with his left leg. It doesn't seem to impede his performance but the bigs better help him. No rebounds ... no rings.

BackHome
01-22-2013, 02:44 AM
Yeah I noticed that he was running kinda funky I hope it is not that bad of an injury. One thing is that SJ is giving us nothing so far this season I like him but if he can get us better pieces then pull the trigger.

Fireball
01-22-2013, 04:07 AM
Good game ... I was not amused with the comeback by the Sixers, but the Spurs played great defense in the end to seal the deal. The announcers really got on my nerves by constantly talking about what the Sixers had to do to win the game. But nothing came when the Spurs couldn't either score or defend ... I know they wanna "coach" the young team, but it was pretty lopsided ...

Obstructed_View
01-22-2013, 06:08 AM
Duncan sure looked like he was dragging a leg up the court in the 4th quarter. Anyone else notice he was loping?

EDIT: Just saw the last two posts of page 1. Wish I'd just imagined it.

DanAu
01-22-2013, 06:44 AM
With Manu out and the rest of the season to go I would be VERY surprised if Timmy was played with and injury of any kind at all. I seem to recall him having to sit on his ass in front of the scorers bench for a few minutes because the ref's blocked the sub. My fat ass would be a tad sore if after playing 3/4 of a game I had to sit on a hard wooden floor for a few minutes...Positive thinking ftw.

will_spurs
01-22-2013, 07:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL40ng6o1ew

biskvito
01-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Splitter played a starring role in the offense meltdown by not receiving any touches while the rest went 0-7 from Jumpshotsville. To be honest he received one pass and make ugly looking play that resulted in nothing. From there he didn't receive any more looks and the Spurs couldn't hit nothing of those jumpshots.

Manufan909
01-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Splitter played a starring role in the offense meltdown by not receiving any touches while the rest went 0-7 from Jumpshotsville. To be honest he received one pass and make ugly looking play that resulted in nothing. From there he didn't receive any more looks and the Spurs couldn't hit nothing of those jumpshots.

From what I could see from the play-by-play Splitter took 3 shots in the span of a minute, the first being a blocked jumper (very curious to know where he was on the floor for this), and the second two being missed layups where he played volleyball with the 76ers and pulled down a couple of O boards. I'm sure there was a a time where he was ignored on offense, that sadly happens way too often still. And at that point in the game he was 4-6, even more reason not to be ignored.

I am glad to see he beasted on the glass (it's one of the first stats I check when I pull up the boxscore, after I look up his minutes). Timvp said the Tiago was a plus on the boards in an earlier game where Tiago grabbed 9 rebounds in 36, but I'm only satisfied if he or Duncan grab at least 3 boards every 10 minutes. Above average for a big man is probably 2.7 per 10 min, but I've never looked it up. Long story short, I'm glad Splitter grabbed 4 boards every 10 min this game.

Horse
01-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Refs once again horrendous, nick young is pure trash once in while throws up some junk that goes in.

TheSkeptic
01-22-2013, 02:33 PM
From what I could see from the play-by-play Splitter took 3 shots in the span of a minute, the first being a blocked jumper (very curious to know where he was on the floor for this), and the second two being missed layups where he played volleyball with the 76ers and pulled down a couple of O boards. I'm sure there was a a time where he was ignored on offense, that sadly happens way too often still. And at that point in the game he was 4-6, even more reason not to be ignored.

I am glad to see he beasted on the glass (it's one of the first stats I check when I pull up the boxscore, after I look up his minutes). Timvp said the Tiago was a plus on the boards in an earlier game where Tiago grabbed 9 rebounds in 36, but I'm only satisfied if he or Duncan grab at least 3 boards every 10 minutes. Above average for a big man is probably 2.7 per 10 min, but I've never looked it up. Long story short, I'm glad Splitter grabbed 4 boards every 10 min this game.

Agreed.

Yeah he missed a pair of free throws I think at the start of the 3rd and then didn't really touch the ball after that until those missed shots. I thought he might've been fouled on one of the volleyball attempts though but the ref on that end was letting most things slide. To me this was one of the areas where I thought Pop messed up. He waited way too long to tell the bench players that they needed to give Tiago the ball. He was 4/6 before that point and none of the guards were making anything from the perimeter. He's the second unit's most efficient option with Manu out, he played a bit in the post in the first half, and there's just no reason for guys like Neal and De Colo to be looking him off.

I think that's also part of the reason why he stopped being as patient when he did get the ball. On that last possession specifically, I thought he was a little too far out to start posting up. In a perfect world he passes it back out and gets himself closer to the basket but (I think) because he hadn't been getting touches (and there was no guarantee that he'd get the ball back from the perimeter) he held on to it. Still got a shot up and all but in any case the disproportionate perimeter shooting on the part of our bench needs to stop.

Cuz I mean that's how it is with most bigs. If the guards don't get them regular touches their impact on the offensive side gets stunted. If TD wasn't TD, sometimes I swear our guards would probably forget about him too.

kobyz
01-23-2013, 04:56 AM
Jax has unprofessional way of play that make him very not stable player and could make him not connected to the team game, he need to be more concentrate and less dilettante if he want important role with the team.

Ice009
01-23-2013, 08:00 AM
I don't think you guys remember that he was starting to play good before getting injured. I thought Sjax was awesome that game against Portland where he guarded Aldridge. He really was starting to play at one point earlier in the season.

I agree though that he needs to start playing a lot better. He's giving us next to nothing some games and that is nowhere near good enough. He's one of my favorites, and if he is healthy, then he really needs to start playing much better than he has been.