PDA

View Full Version : Suns to add Raja Bell

BillsCarnage
07-01-2005, 01:48 PM
the skinny on Bell from Hoops Hype:
Extremely aggressive on the defensive end... More skilled than most people think on the offensive end... Runs the floor like a deer.

The Suns are gearing up with defense in mind. This whole offseason and training camp will be about defense.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 01:48 PM
If Hoopshype says it, then it must be true.

nkdlunch
07-01-2005, 01:49 PM
^ :lol

BillsCarnage
07-01-2005, 01:51 PM
No, it's on ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2098485

Phoenix Suns- Utah Jazz: The team struck the first deal of the free-agency period on Friday, coming to an agreement in principle with free agent Raja Bell.

"Raja Bell intends to sign a contract with the Suns when the moratorium ends," his agent, Herb Rudoy, told ESPN Insider Chad Ford. "Raja really wanted to play with Steve Nash and saw a great opportunity to do just that."

The Suns will sign Bell with part of their mid-level exception. Last year the exception was for $4.9 million and is expected to go up slightly this year.

Suns GM Bryan Colangelo declined comment on the story, citing league policy that prohibits NBA teams from commenting on free-agent negotiations during the moratorium.

Bell and the Suns can make things official on July 22, when the moratorium is lifted.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 01:53 PM
That's very good for the Suns. Most were hoping that the Spurs would look at him.

ShoogarBear
07-01-2005, 01:53 PM
I like both the Suns' moves so far this off-season.

Now we'll have to see if D'Antoni a) can coach any defense and b) knows how to use a bench.

Also whether there will be any PT problems.

MannyIsGod
07-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Nice pickup, Bell is very solid.

baseline bum
Excelllent signing.

timvp
Bell is a good signing. He's a tough defender and is getting better offensively. He's also a dirty player, which is probably needed on the soft Suns roster.

But I wonder how good he'll be in a running game. It sounds like the Suns are going away from what worked last year. They aren't going to become a defensive team overnight. They should have stuck with the offensive gunners and just try to outscore their way to a title.

A team with Steve Nash will never win by trying to play good defense.

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 01:58 PM
^^I don't think Suns are trying to concentrate on playing defense 48 min like Spurs, Pistons, Rockets, etc. so much as they are trying to teach them to make more stops in crucial situations (i.e 4th Q of Games 1 and 2)

BillsCarnage
07-01-2005, 02:02 PM
I keep saying it.. The Suns don't need to play 48min of D. What they need are players who are good defenders and when the games are close at the end(Spurs series) that can get four or five stops when they need. Or when a team is making a run during a game they can stop it defensively. By no means are they moving from an offensive oriented team. D'Antoni will coach more defense in training camp.

The Suns now have three players (Amare, Marion, KT) whocan grab at least 10rebs/game. There might be nights when they get 40-45 between them. That's what killed them the most agains the Spurs. Only Marion was a fundamental rebounder with boxing people out.

Now they can give Nash a rest, make JoJo the PG, and put JoJo/Bell on Gino/Parker.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Good signing, the Suns seem for real this summer.

easjer
07-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Great pick up for the Suns. They remain my favorite team outside the Spurs.

caŽlo
07-01-2005, 02:10 PM
suns so far seems to be right on target.

theyre signing quality players. still dont like the fact that they traded q though.

FromWayDowntown
07-01-2005, 02:18 PM
I wonder about the "only get stops when we need to" logic. To play Raja Bell in a 4th Quarter, gotta have a stop situation, the Suns will have to take Nash, Johnson, or Marion off the floor (and I think, really only Nash), or will have to play extremely small by removing either Stoudemire or Thomas. Whomever they take off the floor in those situations, the Suns will be taking away from their greatest strength in an effort to improve at only one spot. If you play Bell for Nash, the Suns are going to have to save timeouts or hope for lots of deadballs, or they'll be forced to play crunch time moments in tight games without Nash on the offensive end, which didn't prove to be a good move for the Suns last season.

I think the Suns are better with Bell, because they'll be better in the middle quarters on the defensive end, but I wonder about the crunch-time explanation for that move.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Well, I've said it at least once today, their picking up defenders, but it remains to be seen if the Suns are going to actually commit to playing defense. They're making the moves to get a good defensive team started, but it's not an overnight, wave a magic wand sort of thing.

BillsCarnage
07-01-2005, 02:22 PM
They're making the moves to get a good defensive team started, but it's not an overnight, wave a magic wand sort of thing.

I agree, but that's what training camp is for.

whottt
07-01-2005, 02:23 PM
The Suns are going through the same learning process that the Mavs did...it's funny, they are doing the exact same things...but they are getting further away from what made them so great this season...

Bell is a good signing...but he'll jack up bad shots and gets stupid fouls...that will slow their running game down.

The Thomas trade wasn't good...at all.

Thomas doesn't like playing D unless he's getting to shoot his mediocre 17 foot J 15 times per game...

He also doesn't come out on picNrolls...

Basically...Kurt Thomas was a cancer on the Knicks....

The Knicks have been trying to get rid of Thomas for something since Isiah has been the GM...and they finally did it...

How anyone can say Phoenix got the better end of that trade is beyond me...even with QRich flaming out in the playoffs...

Phoenix will not be as good this year as they were last year....Bank on it.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Spurs should sign Greg Buckner.

Horry For 3!
07-01-2005, 03:04 PM
That was a pretty good move for the Suns but I still they need a hell of a lot more to beat the Spurs.

timvp
07-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Spurs should sign Greg Buckner.

Well if the Suns continue their transformation into the Mavs, I think Buckner is next for them.

Get ready Walt Williams, you're next.

:smokin

ShoogarBear
07-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Maybe Bradley will play another year . . .

ducks
07-01-2005, 03:08 PM
suns better be carefully they may be lucky to win 50 games next year

if they are learning a new system it is going to take time
and then they could flame out in the first round if they do not not have a good seed

Spursdaone
07-01-2005, 03:14 PM
They are doing the exact system except Marion will be where Q was and Kurt thomas will be where Marion was but a little closer or vice versa.

Extra Stout
07-01-2005, 03:18 PM
suns better be carefully they may be lucky to win 50 games next year

if they are learning a new system it is going to take time
and then they could flame out in the first round if they do not not have a good seedI don't think they'll fall off that much. Nash, Stoudemire, Marion, and Joe Johnson are still there, and that nucleus is what drives the team.

62-20 probably won't happen, and I think they know that. They're trying to beat the Spurs, not just get the #1 seed.

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 03:20 PM
I think some are in denial that is a tremendous signing for them. Add in the fact that Amare Stoudemire could get BETTER next year makes this team scary. However, trading Richardson could hurt team chemistry and what are the chances that Nash has another MVP season like last year.

I like the Suns aggressiveness and like the fact they are trying to improve.

The Spurs have their own business. Getting Horry back, bringing over Scola, and scoring a quality FA has to be done.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 03:24 PM
So far the Suns have made moves that are obviously designed to improve their chances versus the Spurs. One thing is certain: Manu now has a bright red target on his back in the league. He's not an unknown anymore. He isn't a guy who can take a chance on defensively because nobody can be that good. He is that good and NBA opponents are going to treat him as such.

Maybe KThomas and Bell will improve the Suns defensively. Considering where they are starting from, it couldn't hurt.

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 03:26 PM
IMO Kurt Thomas is not a good defender. In fact I think he might hurt the Suns. He doesnt fit their style of offense and they had to give up a very important guy in the locker room to get him.

ducks
07-01-2005, 03:26 PM
nash is not going to play better next year
nash I am thinking is going to start slowing down
suns are going to need to rest him more and save him for postseason

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-01-2005, 03:27 PM
So far the Suns have made moves that are obviously designed to improve their chances versus the Spurs. One thing is certain: Manu now has a bright red target on his back in the league. He's not an unknown anymore. He isn't a guy who can take a chance on defensively because nobody can be that good. He is that good and NBA opponents are going to treat him as such.

Maybe KThomas and Bell will improve the Suns defensively. Considering where they are starting from, it couldn't hurt.

Well I think the Suns figured out that little fact about Ginobili around the time he was dropping 40 something on them in that OT game. I'm surprised that they're overhauling the team this much, to the point where I think it's to their detriment. Their team identity is shifting from "Run and Gun" to "Man, We REALLY want to beat the Spurs."

ducks
07-01-2005, 03:28 PM
one thing I like against the suns is their engine is nash and tp makes him work like a dog

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Bell's a guy who can fit in a run and gun style offense. KThomas will slow them down some, but if they are facing a Spurs team with TD and a center, then they can get away with it.

The Spurs are the champs. They are the marked team now. Just like Pop once built a team to beat the Jazz and another to beat the Lakers, now teams are doing the same...

strangeweather
07-01-2005, 03:33 PM
The Knicks have been trying to get rid of Thomas for something since Isiah has been the GM...and they finally did it...

After all, if Isiah wants to get rid of him, he can't be any good. :spin

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Interesting how everyone in the media wants teams to run more like the Suns and Mavs, but all the teams in the league, including the Suns, are scrambling to fashion teams to be more like the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Spurs might want to entertain an offer to Greg Buckner. I still think he (or Bell) would be a nice addition to the team. The Spurs have managed to go through a season without a prototypical backup 3 and they fared rather well.

ShoogarBear
07-01-2005, 03:45 PM
What apparently hasn't sunken in to the media is that the Spurs could play like the Suns or Mavs if they wanted to, but those teams can't yet play like the Spurs.

whottt
07-01-2005, 03:49 PM
After all, if Isiah wants to get rid of him, he can't be any good. :spin

I keep seeing everyone rag on Isiah...I haven't seen him get burned on a trade yet....

And his one tested draft pick was a winner that we could certainly use on this team.

Anyone that thinks the Knicks didn't rule ass in this draft is on crack...

They owned this damn draft from top to bottom...and that trade with Phoenix was clearly one that benefitted the Knicks more than the Suns...

Spursdaone
07-01-2005, 03:50 PM
As long as the suns have Nash, Stoudemire, and Marion they are going to be a running team. Now they add to their inside or 3 point game with now a mid range game which will improve their half court even more. I hope San Antonio could find a way to stop this offense which they couldn't do last year consistently. Kurt might not be a great defender but is better than Amare.

whottt
07-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Kurt's not a better defender than Amare if he isn't getting the # of shots he thinks he deserves(which is too many)...

The Knicks wanted to trade Thomas before Nazr...

Spursdaone
07-01-2005, 03:55 PM
With cancerbury being worst point guard defender in the league and Crawford one of the worst in the league how could Kurt Thomas stay on the floor without getting in foul trouble. He isn't a great player but on a good team that needs his type of player that is perfect. People will still have trouble stopping Stoudemire in the running game.

HubieBrownBuysOffMe
07-01-2005, 04:12 PM
You like this signing if you're Phoenix, because (1) Bell is a good defender, and (2) you didn't play good defense against the world champs in the playoffs. Add to that, you help your bench, and you've got tremendous upside on this signing.

If you're San Antonio, you can wait and see how things shake out. Why? because, (1) you're the champs, (2) you have Number 21 returning no matter what, and (3) you've made Hubie Brown a fan!

Hyuk,hyuk, hyuk!!!!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Phoenix is definitely coming after SA with the deals for Kurt Thomas and Raja Bell.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2098485

exstatic
07-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Raja was a good bench pickup, but Kurt will get worked in the Western Conference.

benjirh
07-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Raja was a good bench pickup, but Kurt will get worked in the Western Conference.

why will he get worked?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-02-2005, 01:41 PM
damn is this official? What if we start seeing teams everywhere building themselves to beat us....its like when the spurs built themselves to beat utah and then the lakers...

Gummi
07-02-2005, 02:13 PM
I couldn't care less that Raja Bell is comming to the Suns. If it was Ilgauskas or Ray Allen then I would be a bit scary, but Raja Bell. Nah, I don't think he's going to make any difference at all. He's not going to play that much either. Marion and Johnson will take almost all of his minutes and then there's Jim Jackson.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-02-2005, 02:35 PM
What if we start seeing teams everywhere building themselves to beat us....its like when the spurs built themselves to beat utah and then the lakers...

Dude, teams have been doing that for three years now, where the hell have you been?

D'Antoni even came out and said with the Thomas trade that the goal was to get the pieces necessary to beat San Antonio.

That makes their intentions about as plain as you can make them. When a team wins two titles in three years, it's got a target on its back.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-02-2005, 02:36 PM
I don't think he's going to make any difference at all

Well he at least gives you a guy who can try and defend Ginobili, which is one more than they had last year (zero).

Brutalis
07-02-2005, 02:38 PM
What the hell is everyones problem?

Kurt will not, and cannot, bang with the big boys. He is too small, and soft.

Didn't anyone watch him play over the last few years? If you have you'd know that the odds of him flopping are 2-1 on him doing even close to 10-10.

Give me a goddamn break. Pathetic Suns.

Kori Ellis
07-02-2005, 02:46 PM
I don't know if Kurt Thomas will be able to fit into their system. It will be interesting. But Raja is a sweet pickup for them. He'll get yelled at for playing D and not getting back on offense :lmao but he should be okay.

BTW, AHF .. check your messages.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Raja Bell gave Tony Parker alot of trouble in the first half of the WCF of 2003

But Tony worked through it. It gave hte media fodder for their 'parker suffers againts bigger physical guards' theory

T Park
07-02-2005, 04:07 PM
This is a good signing for Phoenix, the only problem is, it still doesn't fix the root of their problem.

Poor frontcourt and backcourt defense.

Their MVP is a pathetic defender, and their center, while being damn near unbeatable on the offensive end, is almost, not as bad, but almost as pathetic as Steve Nash.

This improves their bench, IF, they resign Joe Johnson and Jim Jackson.

But if they let a guy like Jim Jackson goes, this IMO, hurts their bench.

FromWayDowntown
07-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Well he at least gives you a guy who can try and defend Ginobili, which is one more than they had last year (zero).

True, but to play Bell against Manu at crunch time, the Suns will either have to go small, or they'll have to take one of Nash, Johnson, or Marion off the floor. I don't see how either of those options is a positive for them.

T Park
07-02-2005, 04:17 PM
exactly right FWD, thats the first thing that came into my mind when they signed Bell,
well, this might be an option for the last 5 mins of a game, to put Bell in for Nash.

But, DAntoni might not have the juevos to yank Nash, and put a more defensive team in there.

The price you pay, for overpaying for a half court guard.

Spursdaone
07-02-2005, 04:20 PM
I couldn't care less that Raja Bell is comming to the Suns. If it was Ilgauskas or Ray Allen then I would be a bit scary, but Raja Bell. Nah, I don't think he's going to make any difference at all. He's not going to play that much either. Marion and Johnson will take almost all of his minutes and then there's Jim Jackson.
Did you forget that Joe Johnson now will be able to have more time at the point guard so Nash will have more rest and Bell and Jim Jackson will get time also.
No one on that lineup now should play over 40 minutes in the regular season due to the new depth Phoenix has.

FromWayDowntown
07-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Did you forget that Joe Johnson now will be able to have more time at the point guard so Nash will have more rest and Bell and Jim Jackson will get time also.
No one on that lineup now should play over 40 minutes in the regular season due to the new depth Phoenix has.

The Suns should have dealt for Mike James instead. :lol

TheTruth
07-02-2005, 04:28 PM
never hurts to have a defensive minded player on a team. Great singing.

Spursdaone
07-02-2005, 04:29 PM
The Suns should have dealt for Mike James instead. :lol
Bell for James. :lol

SirChaz
07-02-2005, 06:38 PM
T_Park,

Johnson will be back and Jackson still has a year left on his deal.

Also Amare is improving on defense.

Gino2882
07-02-2005, 06:48 PM
T_Park,

Johnson will be back and Jackson still has a year left on his deal.

Also Amare is improving on defense.

It is not so much Amare improving on defense, it is more Amare wanting to play defense. The guy has a chance to dominate in the NBA for 10 years if he chooses to.

Spursdaone
07-02-2005, 06:50 PM
It is not so much Amare improving on defense, it is more Amare wanting to play defense. The guy has a chance to dominate in the NBA for 10 years if he chooses to.
Having Kurt Thomas is a luxury for Amare so he won't have to guard the other teams center. This will keep him out of foul trouble and he can be more aggresive on defense late in games and take the tougher assignment. I feel that is what the problem was is foul trouble.

TheTruth
07-02-2005, 07:24 PM
I would rather have amare guarding most ctrs. Most of the dominant post players in the NBA now are PF's.

Spursdaone
07-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Kurt Thomas will guard the more dominant player and Amare can guard the other. In the 4th quarter I would put Amare on the better player if he is not in foul trouble.

Jdspur20
07-02-2005, 07:38 PM
the skinny on Bell from Hoops Hype:
Extremely aggressive on the defensive end... More skilled than most people think on the offensive end... Runs the floor like a deer.

The Suns are gearing up with defense in mind. This whole offseason and training camp will be about defense.

getting one decent defensive player doesn't change the way they run there run and gun.

T Park
07-02-2005, 07:48 PM
It is not so much Amare improving on defense, it is more Amare wanting to play defense

Exactly right.

Having Kurt Thomas is a luxury for Amare so he won't have to guard the other teams center

have you ever watched Kurt Thomas play defense??

Hes decent, but not great.

All thomas will do, is let the Suns starting lineup be a normal starting lineup,

Stoudamire
Thomas
Marion
Johnson
Nash

B
Jackson
Bell
Hunter
Barbosa

Good bench.

Depends on how D'Antoni goes into training camp this year.

if they stress defense hard hard hard core, maybe, they could beat the Spurs.

Spursdaone
07-02-2005, 07:51 PM
the suns aren't a great defense but they aren't terrible either. what was terrible was their defensive rebounding and giving up second shots. Kurt Thomas specializes in defensive rebounding which is perfect for Phoenix.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-02-2005, 08:33 PM
people are sounding like kurt thomas is the second coming of dikembe mutombo or something

Spursdaone
07-02-2005, 08:40 PM
people are sounding like kurt thomas is the second coming of dikembe mutombo or something
what quotes thought that way?

Dos
07-02-2005, 10:51 PM
phoenix might try and get defensive, but they will never be as tough as the pistons were this year, I am thinking they are trying to copy how seattle played the spurs in the WC semi-finals. Seattle wasn't great defensively, but they proved a much tougher team than the suns were in the WC Finals.

Spursdaone
07-02-2005, 10:55 PM
phoenix might try and get defensive, but they will never be as tough as the pistons were this year, I am thinking they are trying to copy how seattle played the spurs in the WC semi-finals. Seattle wasn't great defensively, but they proved a much tougher team than the suns were in the WC Finals.
Welcome to the forum but I have to disagree about how tough Phoenix can be. Amare is just going to get better and now they will be a much improved rebounding team. 3 guys who can rebound instead of 2. Marion and Joe Johnson will be guarding Ginobili instead of Q. Richardson. That will make a difference.

mavsfan1000
07-02-2005, 11:06 PM
this sucks. That was the player Dallas wanted. :pctoss I hate Phoenix.

T Park
07-03-2005, 03:22 AM
That was the player Dallas wanted

They had him 2 years ago, why didn't they keep him??

Question

Horry For 3!
07-03-2005, 05:39 AM
It looks like Raja Bell is on the Suns now. I believe they made a deal to him.

Horry For 3!
07-03-2005, 05:39 AM
this sucks. That was the player Dallas wanted. :pctoss I hate Phoenix.

Mavs did have Raja Bell and they let him go to the Jazz. Now he is with the Suns.

sickdsm
07-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Is it just me or did anyone else's jaw dropped when they heard the cash he was going to get? say the MLE pencils out to $5 million, the contract is for 5 or 6 years.

Nope i was wrong, even Raja's jaw dropped. He said he absolutely couldn't believe the amount of money. He's a good pickup but why did they overbid so fast by that much? Hunter is NOT expected back bc he wants more than the minimum. If they give the full MLE to raja he won't resign.

Bad move.