PDA

View Full Version : Is Duncan on Pace to Win DPOY? Who Are the Other Favorites?

JingleJangleJingle
01-22-2013, 05:09 PM
TSIA

Drachen
01-22-2013, 05:10 PM
No he is Tim "no DPOY" Duncan.

Richie
01-22-2013, 05:19 PM
He must be favourite at the moment. Teams above us in DefRtg are Memphis and Indiana, do either have a marquee defensive player? Tony Allen maybe?

#1 player in DefRtg, #4 in blocks per game.

TrainOfThought5
01-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Maybe this will be the year that Tim Wins since he doesnt have an elite perimeter defender in Bowen in front of him. ijs.

spurraider21
01-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if dipshit writers vote for Larry Sanders because they read box scores and notice he blocks the most shots, but they don't watch the games and realize he gets scored on all the time due to his lack of size

DesignatedT
01-22-2013, 05:53 PM
I hope he gets the credit hes due this season. Ibaka and Noah maybe as other guys in the discussion? No way Howard wins and I doubt they give to Chandler b2b years.

Juggity
01-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Marc Gasol has to be candidate

Spur|n|Austin
01-22-2013, 05:55 PM
The possibility is there, that would be an amazing achievement at this point of his career.

lmbebo
01-22-2013, 06:00 PM
he won't win it. DPOY voting is a joke.

racm
01-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Noah's the only other guy with a better case IMO but Timmy's the favorite.

Memphis relies on Tony Allen and Marc Gasol, whilst Indiana has Roy Hibbert and Paul George. The Spurs are elite defensively even if Leonard isn't a lock down 1 on 1 defender and is more of a disruptive team defender.

JingleJangleJingle
01-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Who would do the campaigning for him?

racm
01-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Who would do the campaigning for him?

Definitely not Pop.

Brunodf
01-22-2013, 06:20 PM
He should...

HarlemHeat37
01-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Duncan has actually received DPOY hype from the media this season..he has a more realistic shot at winning it this year than in years prior, as Sports Illustrated, TNT and a few major NBA blogs have noticed his defense impact..

I'm still skeptical, but if the best man is going to win the award, it should be Tim..Hibbert has been a defensive beast, as has Gasol, but Indiana and Memphis have arguably the best combination of perimeter defenders in the NBA..

Noah deserves consideration, but the Bulls' D is performing as well as expected with Thibs' system..

Kirilenko, Asik and Sanders deserve credit, but not enough to win DPOY..

Duncan's best perimeter defenders are above average, not stoppers, and he carries a defense on a high-paced team that hasn't relied on defense in years..

pgardn
01-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Ibaka and Chandler also alter a bunch of shots.

Duncan, not so much. Tim has incredibly good positioning and timing. But he is not swatting balls well after the shot.

I will give Tiago some credit as well. Duncan sometime waits after Tiago has already made the shot higher difficultly. Tim is really moving well so that arm length is a factor again. It's a beautiful thing.

Splits
01-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Definitely not Pop.

Disagree. Pop knows what it would mean to Tim's legacy and you're foolish to think he doesn't care.

DesignatedT
01-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Gasol has been good this year but averaging 7 boards a game in 35 minutes doesn't really help his case. It goes a lot further than rebounds but that's not a very impressive clip for a center.

Cane
01-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Duncan's 4th in blocks per game and 1st in defensive rebounds and anchors the Spurs good defense this season :flag:

To go from not a single vote last year to winning DPOY for this season would be one hell of a voting turnaround for the deserving Tim Duncan

team-work
01-22-2013, 09:49 PM
No doubt he deserves to get one. But given the relationship of Pop with Stern after the "Restgate", will the Spurs lobby hard, or will Stern & Co. listen?

cd021
01-22-2013, 09:59 PM
He must be favourite at the moment. Teams above us in DefRtg are Memphis and Indiana, do either have a marquee defensive player? Tony Allen maybe?

#1 player in DefRtg, #4 in blocks per game.

Marc Gasol, I believe, has the 2nd best defensive rating in the league and a better defensive team. It probably changing daily between Duncan & Gasol. If it comes down to those two, I'd think the writers would give it to Tim.

Andthentherewas21
01-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Chances are that they will give Durant or CP3 MVP this year and give Lebron DPOY as a consolation prize.

cd021
01-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Gasol has been good this year but averaging 7 boards a game in 35 minutes doesn't really help his case. It goes a lot further than rebounds but that's not a very impressive clip for a center.

Misleading, Playing high low with Z-Bo away from the rim for dozen + possessions on offense. Randolph is also averaging a career high in rebounding and they are a slow paced team, It would be better to use rebound %

cd021
01-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Chances are that they will give Durant or CP3 MVP this year and give Lebron DPOY as a consolation prize.

Lebron,actually hasn't been mentioned in most, if any mid season award predictions. Gasol, Duncan, Deng, Jordan, are the ones i keep hearing.

Zach Lowe stated Duncan should probably win but plays to few minutes.

dbreiden83080
01-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Disagree. Pop knows what it would mean to Tim's legacy and you're foolish to think he doesn't care.

It doesn’t do much for his legacy either way. DPOY would be just be a footnote in his great HOF career. Would be cool to win but ultimately not a big deal..

Splits
01-23-2013, 01:37 AM
It doesn’t do much for his legacy either way. DPOY would be just be a footnote in his great HOF career. Would be cool to win but ultimately not a big deal..

A center at age 36? It's a pretty big deal. Not a game changer, but it goes in the bio.

Rapper
01-23-2013, 01:53 AM
If Duncan averages 3.0 blocks per game to finish this season then he stands a chance

TrainOfThought5
01-23-2013, 02:01 AM
If Duncan averages 3.0 blocks per game to finish this season then he stands a chance

too few minutes Between blowouts (both ways) and random rest games.

MI21
01-23-2013, 02:03 AM
I don't think Timmy is the best defensive player in the NBA but he definitely the best interior defender and that is often all it takes. It would help to swat a few shots into the stands and yell whilst doing so though.

Man In Black
01-23-2013, 02:35 AM
No...the voters are sheep and have Bean on Auto-pilot despite the fact the LAL sucks. When Tim was at the height of his D powers, he was always forced to split votes with Bruce Bowen. It sucks because both him and Bruce dominated interior and perimeter for so long and both of them deserved one. Being a Spur means you don't get the press, respect yes, but the sheep called Big City Media need Madison Avenue style commercials to notice anything.
Maybe they'll surprise us all, but I doubt it.

slick'81
01-23-2013, 02:37 AM
larry sanders get some props

TDMVPDPOY
01-23-2013, 02:37 AM
deserving?

probably some life achievement award, too late is better then havin none...

Obstructed_View
01-23-2013, 03:00 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if Kobe and Howard got more votes for DPOY than Duncan. Unless someone at ESPN not named Bayless makes a case for it now, nobody will even notice Duncan.

ElNono
01-23-2013, 03:04 AM
I'm gonna write Bill Simmons... I know he's probably still bitter Boston didn't win the lotto with TD, but maybe he can start a public buzz...

Darkwaters
01-23-2013, 03:24 AM
I don't think Timmy is the best defensive player in the NBA but he definitely the best interior defender and that is often all it takes. It would help to swat a few shots into the stands and yell whilst doing so though.

Good point.

http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/garnettyell.jpg

Kevin Garnett - DPOY, 2008

007nites
01-23-2013, 06:13 AM
Remember when they gave it to Marcus Camby in 2007 lol

Russo21
01-23-2013, 07:15 AM
I hope he wins it. It's the only thing missing from his illustrious career.

Mind you they'll probably give it to LeBron just so he gets some hardware as consolation if they give the MVP to Durant

mrjap2x
01-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Remember when they gave it to Marcus Camby in 2007 lol
And Bruce and Tim was 2nd and 3rd respectively :(

Phenomanul
01-23-2013, 08:59 AM

and maybe wag his finger... whilst yelling "not in my house / anything is possible!"...

Unfortunately for those that would want that of him, Tim's not the demonstrative "hey look at me" type...

dunkman
01-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Neither Pippen nor Bowen won the award. That award is a joke, tbh. It's mostly about bpg, rpg and spg stats, not necessarily about good defense.

racm
01-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Neither Pippen nor Bowen won the award. That award is a joke, tbh. It's mostly about bpg, rpg and spg stats, not necessarily about good defense.

Timmy is back in the top 5 in bpg though and unlike Sanders or Ibaka Timmy anchors a top 5 defense.

manufan10
01-23-2013, 09:34 AM
At age 36 and the way he has been anchoring the Spurs defense should really help his case for DPOY. He has been impressive.

urunobili
01-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Abaka...

Leetonidas
01-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Call me crazy, but I think he's going to win one this season. Blocks are the sexy stat for this award and while Duncan has played excellent interior D this season, he is averaging like 3 blocks in 30 minutes :wow

Spurs being #5 in defensive efficiency is strictly because of him. He's #1 in defensive rating. The Spurs without him would be absolute garbage on that end of the floor.

Mal
01-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Dwight Howard will get more votes than Duncan

Leetonidas
01-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Considering the Lakers atrocious defense, I don't think it's even remotely possible he will win the award

Thomas82
01-23-2013, 09:54 AM
No...the voters are sheep and have Bean on Auto-pilot despite the fact the LAL sucks. When Tim was at the height of his D powers, he was always forced to split votes with Bruce Bowen. It sucks because both him and Bruce dominated interior and perimeter for so long and both of them deserved one. Being a Spur means you don't get the press, respect yes, but the sheep called Big City Media need Madison Avenue style commercials to notice anything.
Maybe they'll surprise us all, but I doubt it.

MEDIA = Manipulating Every Decision In the Audience

I. Hustle
01-23-2013, 10:14 AM
MEDIA = Manipulating Every Decision In the Audience

Monkeys Eat Diarrhea If Allowed

Raven
01-23-2013, 11:19 AM
imho he is #1 right now and if he keeps it up, he's only in discussion with Ibaka.

look_at_g_shred
01-23-2013, 12:51 PM
imho he is #1 right now and if he keeps it up, he's only in discussion with Ibaka.

:toast

anonoftheinternets
01-23-2013, 07:29 PM
:lol thinking the media will give duncan DPOY love @ this age ... no matter what...

SI's DPOY picks...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130123/nba-midseason-awards-kevin-durant-chris-paul/

Among the votes are stalwarts like: Andre Iguodala, Larry Sanders, Chris Paul, Paul George :rollin

No votes for Duncan.

Drom John
01-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Defensive Win Shares
George
Noah
Duncan
West
Hibbert
M. Gasol
Griffin
Durant
Boozer
Randolph

TDMVPDPOY
01-25-2013, 10:09 AM
u know whats funni about the dpoy award....kobe bryant the clown last 7 all defensive team selections, his never been top5 in dpoy for the last 7 seasons...

for every dpoy handed out since duncans arrivale in the league, he has exposed those winners every time he played against them in the playoffs or h2h matches....

but the camby one bites the cake to be honest, dude couldnt even stop duncan in the first round that year....

DMC
01-25-2013, 10:09 AM
It's odd that a DPOY doesn't make 1st team, like TC. That tells me all I need to know about the award. Even people like Barkley are sucking at the teat, saying Duncan deserves it but he wants to give it to the younger guys, like it's about sharing.

DMC
01-25-2013, 10:12 AM
u know whats funni about the dpoy award....kobe bryant the clown last 7 all defensive team selections, his never been top5 in dpoy for the last 7 seasons...

for every dpoy handed out since duncans arrivale in the league, he has exposed those winners every time he played against them in the playoffs or h2h matches....

but the camby one bites the cake to be honest, dude couldnt even stop duncan in the first round that year....

"bites the cake" lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Chicago's been winning on the back of their D and the media makes a point to mention that every time they play, so I wouldn't be surprised for voters to hear defense and start looking in that direction.. In terms of both stats (7th in rebounding, 8th in blocks) and legitimately playing defense Noah wouldn't be a bad pick. Would just be Tim's luck that reporters have finally ditched the "Spurs are boring" label in time to cost him when he's as deserving as ever of DPOY.

TDMVPDPOY
01-25-2013, 10:24 AM
i forgot who won dpoy in 05, but duncan sure did feasted on the wallaces in the finals...he was still able to post his seasonal avgs which was below his playoff avgs heading into the finals series....

last few season with pop cranking up the system with more offense and less concentration on defense, also with the limited minutes of duncan probably contributed to his lame ass defensive ratings those years...

(maybe his been exposed he didnt have a serviceable big next to him for the last 2-3 years)...all of a sudden with splitter starting, duncans defensive ratings has improved alot to the numbers post robinson - pre blair era

TDMVPDPOY
01-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Chicago's been winning on the back of their D and the media makes a point to mention that every time they play, so I wouldn't be surprised for voters to hear defense and start looking in that direction.. In terms of both stats (7th in rebounding, 8th in blocks) and legitimately playing defense Noah wouldn't be a bad pick. Would just be Tim's luck that reporters have finally ditched the "Spurs are boring" label in time to cost him when he's as deserving as ever of DPOY.

seriously DPOY has been bullshit

03/04 season artest and ben wallace was suspended due to the fight bullshit, yet artest was still able to win the award
dpoy doesnt care how many games u play, u can missed 15-20 games and still be in contention to win that award, while every other award u have no business winning anything with the number of games missed...

the year camby won, they looked at stats and just gave it to him
the year garnett won, they didnt rely heavily on individual stats but still gave it to him

KG the most overrated hack to win it that year, cause outside of him...everyone else on the celtics that year dont play a lick of defense....

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-25-2013, 10:56 AM
KG wasn't that bad of a pick. Boston's defense was serious shit that year. It had as much to do with Thibideau (sp? ah, fuck it) working as Doc's defensive coordinator, but it's not like KG was just a bystander. Camby's in 07 was the big fucking joke. Absolutely a time when voters just looked at blocks and boards and didn't give it a second thought. I dare say most barely gave it a first one. Honestly I remember being just as steamed the next year when he somehow managed to finish second behind Garnett in the voting.

TDMVPDPOY
01-25-2013, 11:23 AM
KG wasn't that bad of a pick. Boston's defense was serious shit that year. It had as much to do with Thibideau (sp? ah, fuck it) working as Doc's defensive coordinator, but it's not like KG was just a bystander. Camby's in 07 was the big fucking joke. Absolutely a time when voters just looked at blocks and boards and didn't give it a second thought. I dare say most barely gave it a first one. Honestly I remember being just as steamed the next year when he somehow managed to finish second behind Garnett in the voting.

what i dont g et with that year, was the sudden change of how they were going to base it on, previous season it waa about individual stats, next its about team...duncan been doing this for a fkn decade and cant even sniff the award....

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-25-2013, 11:26 AM
what i dont g et with that year, was the sudden change of how they were going to base it on, previous season it waa about individual stats, next its about team...duncan been doing this for a fkn decade and cant even sniff the award....

Now that I agree wholeheartedly with.

TD 21
01-25-2013, 07:06 PM
He's going to get screwed again and when he does, the reasoning will be that he "only plays 30 mpg" and that a bunch of the idiots who have votes or at least influence those who do through their writing or by speaking to them, "just couldn't justify voting for him over (insert winner -- probably Noah) because they play 5-8 more per game".

The other problem is, in the more popular (to old school types) defensive stats, such as points allowed per game and defensive field goal percentage, the Spurs still aren't elite, so even if they remain top five in overall efficiency and he remains top 3-5 in shot blocking, that will probably be held against him too.

It's probably going to take the Spurs doing something they almost never do for him to win it and that's campaigning. Pop will have to mention that he should win it, that he's never won it and go into some detail about just how much of a travesty that is.

Obstructed_View
01-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Dwight Howard vs. Tim Duncan. When people claiming to be basketball fans don't know the difference between statistics and defense, how do we expect media people to?

cd021
01-25-2013, 08:48 PM
SI.Com writers all gave it to Jokim Noah. (5 writers) none of them even game Duncan mention on their runner up list

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130123/nba-midseason-awards-kevin-durant-chris-paul/?sct=uk_t11_a4

jyra
01-31-2013, 08:36 AM
http://blog.cacvantage.com/2013/01/selecting-western-conference-all-star.html

This is article was written concerning the all star voting but there are some really good numbers in there comparing Duncan to other strong defenders like M. Gasol and Ibaka.

The one thing that stood out for me is that Tim has been incredibly strong in pick and roll defense so far which hasn't been the case the last couple of seasons. He seems to be doing really well against ball handlers attacking off the screen, staying in front of them and contesting their shots. But I have to guess that only defense against the ball handler is counted in that table otherwise a 23% allowed FG is way too low, he routinely gives up wide open jumpers in pick and pop situations.