PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine O'Neal

lefty
01-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Could we use him in limited minutes?

They have a shitty GM so I think it's possible to get him for nothing, especially after this :

Y! Sources: Phoenix GM Lance Blanks and Jermaine O'Neal engaged in loud, angry confrontation near Suns locker room. http://tinyurl.com/bz8h7yd

I don't know how big his contract is, though

timvp
01-22-2013, 05:41 PM
He'd probably fall back apart when he leaves Phoenix's trainers. But, yeah, if he's bought out, he'd be decent to good insurance depth. Not sure I'd give up an actual asset for him though.

lefty
01-22-2013, 05:43 PM
He'd probably fall back apart when he leaves Phoenix's trainers. But, yeah, if he's bought out, he'd be decent to good insurance depth. Not sure I'd give up an actual asset for him though.

Blair is an asset? :D

JingleJangleJingle
01-22-2013, 06:30 PM
We could have used him back in 2003...seriously how the fuck did the Spurs not get a single big-name FA that year? They had tons of cap room, had just won the title, had the best player in the world...i just don't get it. Is SA really that bad of a place?

rascal
01-22-2013, 06:40 PM
No

LittleCriminal
01-22-2013, 06:45 PM
IF Lamont for O'neal works.... I'd say go for it!! Lamont sux!

racm
01-22-2013, 06:46 PM
We could have used him back in 2003...seriously how the fuck did the Spurs not get a single big-name FA that year? They had tons of cap room, had just won the title, had the best player in the world...i just don't get it. Is SA really that bad of a place?

Would you really want to play in a city with only the Riverwalk and fat Mexicans everywhere instead of beaches and shores and hot ladies everywhere?

LakerHater
01-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Sure why not

spurraider21
01-22-2013, 06:58 PM
who would you rather have on your active roster, Aron Baynes or Jermaine O'Neal. thats the question you should ask yourself

will_spurs
01-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Y! Sources: Phoenix GM Lance Blanks and Jermaine O'Neal engaged in loud, angry confrontation near Suns locker room. http://tinyurl.com/bz8h7yd

RT @WojYahooNBA: Suns GM Lance Blanks and center Jermaine O'Neal engaged in a loud, expletive-laced confrontation on Monday, league sources tell Y! Sports.

I like the sound of "expletive-laced".

JingleJangleJingle
01-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Would you really want to play in a city with only the Riverwalk and fat Mexicans everywhere instead of beaches and shores and hot ladies everywhere?

but he went to Indiana :(

KL2
01-22-2013, 07:46 PM
He's terrible, Blair and Bonner>>>>>O'Neal

LakerHater
01-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Maybe Steve Kerr can help us out... Like othr GMs hav with the fLakers!

Dr. Robert Lee
01-22-2013, 09:37 PM
I still remember when was a dominating player in Indiana during the middle of last decade.

Now he's just a scrub, though, tbh. Do not want.

CGD
01-22-2013, 09:52 PM
If Baynes signs I think we're good at our big rotation. Pass. Rather collect more sf/pf combos like Casspi or Williams who may still have upside. It's just where the league is right now. Only 2 big line ups to really worry about are lakers (who I think will ship Gasol btw) and Memphis. Utah is about a year away.

Strategic
01-22-2013, 10:01 PM
If Baynes signs I think we're good at our big rotation. Pass. Rather collect more sf/pf combos

'nuf said!

cd021
01-22-2013, 10:34 PM

Does anyone else think that that Phoenix, training staff is slightly overrated. Duncan, Manu have been all stars at 34 years old. While role players, like Horry, Dice, Finley, Robinson (later in career) and Barry all played pretty well in near to mid 30's.

cd021
01-22-2013, 10:36 PM
If Baynes signs I think we're good at our big rotation. Pass. Rather collect more sf/pf combos like Casspi or Williams who may still have upside. It's just where the league is right now. Only 2 big line ups to really worry about are lakers (who I think will ship Gasol btw) and Memphis. Utah is about a year away.

Baynes is a luxury at this point, Duncan and Splitter can both eat up 33-36 minutes in the post season with Jackson and Diaw playing with one or the other. I'd think he is more for the future than this season.

cd021
01-22-2013, 10:39 PM
I still remember when was a dominating player in Indiana during the middle of last decade.

Actually has played pretty well this season, looks like he is an NBA player.

Easily the oddest career of any Prep to Pro player. Drafted in 1996 at 18 spend first 4 seasons averaging under 10 pts and then exploded jumping up to 20 & 10 for four seasons and then fell off a cliff at age 28 or 29

CGD
01-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Baynes is a luxury at this point, Duncan and Splitter can both eat up 33-36 minutes in the post season with Jackson and Diaw playing with one or the other. I'd think he is more for the future than this season.

I agree, but really with TD/splitt/Boris taking the bulk of the minutes, and toss smallball minutes in there too, there really isn't much left for a 4th big. Btw Bonner and Baynes we have decent situation minutes for what's left. My point is that I think we're now good with the big rotation for this year barring injury, and it may be nice to get a sf instead who can add athleticism to the second unit in spot minutes this year, and then as a project to develop post SJax in years to come. Just my view.

chazley
01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
JONeal has played VERY well this season in limited minutes when healthy. He'd be a good pickup if it didn't cost much. Too bad he can't bring the PHX training staff with him wherever he goes.

buttsR4rebounding
01-23-2013, 01:05 AM
Does anyone else think that that Phoenix, training staff is slightly overrated. Duncan, Manu have been all stars at 34 years old. While role players, like Horry, Dice, Finley, Robinson (later in career) and Barry all played pretty well in near to mid 30's.

Yeah, but they totally blew it with Ian that year he had the ankle injury. Misdiagnosed it and cost him a season--a season that he would have played big minutes next to Tim. I've always wondered how that might have changed his development. If it had been diagnosed correctly he would have missed maybe 20-25 games.

chazley
01-23-2013, 04:37 AM

Pheonix training staff is the best in the league, hands down. The years that Steve Nash, Grant Hill, and Shaq had there in their mid 30s, with injuries that most thought would slow them down significantly, were literally unbelievable. That doesn't mean that the Spurs don't have a great training staff - they've also done a superb job, specifically with Tim Duncan.

Russo21
01-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Sign him up. Reuniting Jackson and O'Neal gives us 2 players from the infamous 'Malace at the Palace'. Then who could say the Spurs are boring

td4mvp2k
01-23-2013, 09:56 AM
O'Neal or Mcdyess wouldnt be bad.

dunkman
01-23-2013, 11:20 AM
The Spurs don't have a roster spot for him, and cutting Blair to add JONeal would mean luxury tax. They won't be able to use the complete MLE next season.

Obstructed_View
01-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Yeah I want a guy who gets into angry confrontations with the GM.

cd021
01-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Yeah, but they totally blew it with Ian that year he had the ankle injury. Misdiagnosed it and cost him a season--a season that he would have played big minutes next to Tim. I've always wondered how that might have changed his development. If it had been diagnosed correctly he would have missed maybe 20-25 games.

You're acting like he was the missing link in the spurs front line. He really isn't anything special. He still looks lost on the court like a freshman on the 1st day of high school. He is a athletic 7'0 footer but is only hitting 45% of his shots, Parker is hitting 52 % of his shots for comparison. He boasts a impressive P.E.R of 11 and is clearly the worst of the 3 struggling Bigs Indiana has (Hibbert, & Hansbrough being the other 2).

Blair & Bonner has been far better than whatever Ian would have produced. Not to mention Tiago, Boris & Captain all have played well in the front line. He was a 3rd stringer in Dallas and then Chandler left and he fell back to 3rd string after a bust of lottery pick (Wright) outplayed him.

cd021
01-23-2013, 09:44 PM

Anyone else still amazed how athletic a 36 y.o Dice was even with all of old knee issues? He would be an excellent addition as 15th man (assuming Blair is moved)

cd021
01-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Sign him up. Reuniting Jackson and O'Neal gives us 2 players from the infamous 'Malace at the Palace'. Then who could say the Spurs are boring

If shit gets real, we all know O'neal can throw hands (and connect, unlike Shaq). Could be useful if someone ain't about this life (Barnes, Ibaka, Perkins)

cd021
01-23-2013, 10:01 PM
I agree, but really with TD/splitt/Boris taking the bulk of the minutes, and toss smallball minutes in there too, there really isn't much left for a 4th big. Btw Bonner and Baynes we have decent situation minutes for what's left. My point is that I think we're now good with the big rotation for this year barring injury, and it may be nice to get a sf instead who can add athleticism to the second unit in spot minutes this year, and then as a project to develop post SJax in years to come. Just my view.

Good points, I still think that they will continue to use small ball as a way of pumping as much offense on the court without losing a ton on D. Jackson Leonard Green/Manu all a good at boarding and Duncan crash the glass (like the @76ers game, a couple of nights ago, or the @ Denver game)

Against OKC, & The Clippers. Pairing Duncan with Jackson,would be a wise move late in games especially with the spurs down. Duncan going against Griffin or Ibaka/ Perkins while four spurs are outside the ark would be especially effective in getting high percentage baskets and getting them into foul trouble. In tightly contested games the Spurs have the luxury of using Splitter as the anchor while Duncan rests without having to use Diaw (if he is ineffective) and using a combo 6 perimeter players.

Parker
Manu/Neal
Kawhi/Green
Jackson
Duncan/Splitter

LASToog36
01-26-2013, 05:11 AM
just cuz he has acls doesnt make him more of an asset than blair ... hes an old bag o bones that wears a headband

007nites
01-26-2013, 06:33 AM
I say we sign him so that he can give Blake a few hard ones in the playoffs. Plus JO doesn't back down from no one.

Obstructed_View
01-26-2013, 07:03 AM
I say we sign him so that he can give Blake a few hard ones in the playoffs. Plus JO doesn't back down from no one.

What have you got against Steve Blake? He won't be in the playoffs btw.:)

therealtruth
01-26-2013, 05:16 PM
People forget we owned OKC up to the WCF with Blair in the lineup. It's not Blair but attacking OKC's bigs (Ibaka,Perk,Collision) on offense that probably made the difference.

Darkwaters
01-26-2013, 05:23 PM

Are you talking about Miami? Because you realize that place is a shithole, right?

Darkwaters
01-26-2013, 05:27 PM
People forget we owned OKC up to the WCF with Blair in the lineup. It's not Blair but attacking OKC's bigs (Ibaka,Perk,Collision) on offense that probably made the difference.

To his credit, Blair has a number of very quality performances against the Thunder historically. Of course, none of them came in the post-season, mostly due to his being dropped from the rotation nearly completely.

ThaBigFundamental21
01-26-2013, 10:10 PM

NICE! I kinda like where this is going.

BatManu20
01-27-2013, 12:34 AM

Yea, in 2003.

td4mvp2k
01-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Yea, in 2003.

No, in 2011.

lefty
02-28-2013, 12:21 AM
Bump

:lol yeah he killed us tonight

lefty
02-28-2013, 12:25 AM
He's terrible, Blair and Bonner>>>>>O'Neal

:lmao

JONeal has played VERY well this season in limited minutes when healthy. He'd be a good pickup if it didn't cost much. Too bad he can't bring the PHX training staff with him wherever he goes.

This

Budkin
02-28-2013, 12:29 AM
Much crow devoured tonight.

Sean Cagney
02-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Much crow devoured tonight.

Yep, but then again some have career nights on us from David Lee (Who is good no doubt but 20-20 lol and Jarret Jack). If you are not great anymore or not a superstar play the Spurs alot of times, some turn into Jordan or Hakeem on the Spurs it seems. He would have been a very good pickup though no doubt, easily I would give him minutes over Bonner and Blair! I would have loved to have him.