PDA

View Full Version : Would you make this trade

freetiago
01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bfasuky

Rumors are out that hes finally gone to management and demanded a trade
given his current value it could be possible to pull it off since they might be desperate to get rid of him
Lakers have made it known they only want expirers/guys whose contract ends in 2014 so they can live their pipedream of landing lebron in free agency

Spurs get rid of the useless depth and get an elite frontcourt
Lakers get depth/elite 3 point shooting for D'antonis system

Spurfan wont land a free agent with their capspace like they think they can (see 2003) and getting a still elite but misused PF for one year who turns into a huge expiring contract the next when the spurs should be done contending is about as good as they could hope for

spurs1990
01-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Do not want to see SJax in a Lakers uniform.

HeroSquad
01-22-2013, 10:54 PM
As much as I'd love to see Pau Gasol in Spurs uniform, the $38 million over 2 years just doesn't make it a sensible move.

exstatic
01-22-2013, 11:09 PM
As much as I'd love to see Pau Gasol in Spurs uniform, the $38 million over 2 years just doesn't make it a sensible move.

It does if he pulls his head out of his ass. He's a player with the smarts and talent to play in the Spurs system. He's having a shitty year, but the Lakers are a shambles and he's been banged up a bit. He came in at 17p/10r just last year. He can play in the high or low post, pass as well if not better than Duncan, and defend the rim. He just needs a change of scenery.

The trade, as constituted, will never happen. The Spurs would never take on a salary burden that lopsided. If they wanted to make that trade, they'd likely hold out Blair for an emergency 4th big, and throw in Diaw to make the salaries actually much closer. I also think they'd deal Mills before Neal.

freetiago
01-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Mills has a no trade clause and the diaw/blair swap is possbile but blair is an expiring and is also like a jordan hill type player in most of the leagues mind

blair is expendable now with the baynes signing anyway so no need to hold onto him

Andthentherewas21
01-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Hell no, because you give the Lakers just what they need. Bonner is the perfect big for Dwight and D'antoni (stay outside the 3 point line and run up and down the court). Neal would provide them with someone off the bench who can actually shoot and score (despite his present slump). Then you've just strengthened their bench with Sjax (ya he hasn't been great this year but pretty sure he's going to be needed and step-up come May and June).

Worse you subject the Spurs to salary-cap hell for another season, at least, while you potentially give the NBA's most pampered franchise a possible out for the huge luxury-tax hell they've put themselves in by trying to screw over the league this past summer with Nash and Howard. Put another way with a team of Parker, Duncan, Diaw, Bonner, Green, Kawhi, and De Colo your looking at around $39 million next season (so before resigning Manu, Splitter, ect). With Gasol your up to $58 million with a salary-cap around $60 million without resigning them.

Its not as if Gasol is the missing piece for the Spurs. And even if he were, it would be much more satisfying seeing the Lakers miss the playoffs and lose out on their lottery pick (traded to PHX) and come back with the same fucked up situation next season, or even better have Dwight walk in free agency, Pau pissed off, and Nash and Kobe both a year older and slower with nothing but the lowest of salary exceptions to rebuild with.

mabrignani
01-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Only player id trade sjax for would be zbo

TrainOfThought5
01-22-2013, 11:39 PM

given his current value it could be possible to pull it off since they might be desperate to get rid of him
Lakers have made it known they only want expirers/guys whose contract ends in 2014 so they can live their pipedream of landing lebron in free agency

Spurfan wont land a free agent with their capspace like they think they can (see 2003) and getting a still elite but misused PF for one year who turns into a huge expiring contract the next when the spurs should be done contending is about as good as they could hope for

some stupid franchise will bail out the Lakers. But it wont be us.

Brunodf
01-22-2013, 11:39 PM
I would rather save capspace for D.West.

ffadicted
01-23-2013, 12:00 AM
No

Leetonidas
01-23-2013, 12:18 AM
With Tim and Splitter, where does he fit? Honestly with the roster we have I'd rather keep Bonner. Gasol seemingly forgot how to play ball, and while I think a change of scenery might be good for him, I don't see him starting here, and he won't be happy coming off the bench (though he would form one of the greatest 2nd units in history) and I'm not convinced he's a 15 million dollar upgrade over Tiago

exstatic
01-23-2013, 12:35 AM
I would rather save capspace for D.West.

Gasol >>>>>>> DWest.

You 'd also have to renounce as many players as Gasol would cost you to get down to the cap.

Before the lockout, Gasol had made 3 straight All NBA teams.

TimmehC
01-23-2013, 12:38 AM
Peter Holt and co. won't take on the additional salary and lux tax. That's all that matters.

MANUNG-Ginobili
01-23-2013, 12:40 AM
I think this trade is unnecessary with how Tiago is playing right now, Tiago is playing with such high confidence level, and mixing Pau in the picture will only make Tiago's confidence dip down..

Brunodf
01-23-2013, 12:58 AM
Gasol >>>>>>> DWest.

You 'd also have to renounce as many players as Gasol would cost you to get down to the cap.

Yeah that's great, clearly tell the whole story, thanks :lol. Just like Kobe was the best defensive SG last season.:lmao

And we wouldn't need to renounce anyone, Ginobili/Jack contracts are expiring

exstatic
01-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Yeah that's great, clearly tell the whole story, thanks :lol. Just like Kobe was the best defensive SG last season.:lmao

And we wouldn't need to renounce anyone, Ginobili/Jack contracts are expiring

You have to renounce them to get them off your cap. They can then only be signed for the minimum. Neither will do that.

Learn a little about the CBA before you clown yourself even more in the forum.

Brunodf
01-23-2013, 01:07 AM
You have to renounce them to get them off your cap. They can then only be signed for the minimum. Neither will do that.

Learn a little about the CBA before you clown yourself even more in the forum.

Spurs would still have enough capspace if they resign Ginobili for 7-8 mil.

:lmao"Gasol is good because he made the all nba team"

timvp
01-23-2013, 01:22 AM
I'd probably do it.

Won't happen in real life, though. The Lakers are going to still somehow get 90 cents on the dollar for him -- because they're the Lakers. They won't trade Gasol for a deal that headlines .... Gary Neal? Yeah, no, won't happen.

And the real life Spurs might hesitate because 1) he'd be by far the most paid player in the next two seasons, which would create an odd dynamic 2) his demands of being a "star starter" would scare them off 3) they'd view it as too huge of a risk right now

exstatic
01-23-2013, 01:25 AM
Spurs would still have enough capspace if they resign Ginobili for 7-8 mil.

:lmao"Gasol is good because he made the all nba team"

That's usually a good indicator. You don't get fools gold like All Star selections. It's also more exclusive, 15 players vs. 24 plus injury replacements for the ASG.

I think you're the only one arguing that Gasol isn't good enough. Others are bothered about the money. You might want to stop.

ElNono
01-23-2013, 01:27 AM
You also have to wonder how much of Gasol's decline the last couple of seasons is physical... dude's been piling up miles non-stop for the last 4-5 seasons... I like Pau, and I think he's still has gas left in the tank as far as his game is concerned, but it's a lot of dough to commit to a guy without being sure he's 100%.

exstatic
01-23-2013, 01:38 AM
You also have to wonder how much of Gasol's decline the last couple of seasons is physical... dude's been piling up miles non-stop for the last 4-5 seasons... I like Pau, and I think he's still has gas left in the tank as far as his game is concerned, but it's a lot of dough to commit to a guy without being sure he's 100%.

Spurs wouldn't need him to play 37 minutes like LA has. Pop does a good job of managing minutes. He'd probably cap Pau at about 30 minutes.

Brunodf
01-23-2013, 01:51 AM
That's usually a good indicator. You don't get fools gold like All Star selections. It's also more exclusive, 15 players vs. 24 plus injury replacements for the ASG.

I think you're the only one arguing that Gasol isn't good enough. Others are bothered about the money. You might want to stop.

Of course i am bothered about the money, Gasol isn't worth of 19 mil, if his contract was just 5-8 mil i would like to sign him...

spurraider21
01-23-2013, 02:07 AM
Trade half the team for 1 player.
bonner and blair are 2 players the spurs would probably be glad to dump anyway. however, like its been said above, its unlikely the spurs agree to take on so much salary, plus having it all tied up in one player makes it that much harder to deal with. however, the idea of having pau and tiago long term will take some of the pain away of duncan's looming retirement. plus in the meantime you have a starting unit with pau and timmy, giving you far and away the best interior passing duo the NBA has seen in quite some time. and it allows splitter to go back to his bench role.

spurraider21
01-23-2013, 02:09 AM
with Tim Tiago and Diaw its unlikely Pop would give Gasol minutes anywhere near the 37 or so he's averaged with the Lakers. this deal sounds pretty sweet in imaginary land but the spurs wouldn't tack on the salary plus the lakers wouldn't deal pau to a contender in the west

freetiago
01-23-2013, 02:15 AM
im not worried about what Paus said about being a star starter, you have to take into account everything going on in LA and how hes being put 25 feet away from the basket
its obvious hes frustrated being the scapegoat for the past 2 years and not being played to his abilties
also im not looking into the future
its amazing the spurs have still contended for this long
a 38 year old duncan will be heading into next seasons playoffs
id rather take the high risk/high reward move and go for it, now that Duncan/Ginobili arent in their primes the Spurs cant be so conservative all the time
size can still win in the nba, you just need non-monkeyballers to do it (Dallas/LA twice/Celtics/Spurs were the champions before miami who used multiple 7 footers)
Memphis and the Bulls have done really well vs Miami mostly by killing them on the glass
OKC is also a poor rebounding team who can be beat inside
Tiago can go back to the bench just fine, his game might be better suited to be a bench player since he can put up highly efficient numbers and have the offense ran through him vs being a garbage type player in the starting lineup
Pau can do everything Tiago can do including hitting the midrange shot

Id rather see SA hoist the 5th banner then be happy they saved a couple million 10 years from now when the St.Louis Spurs fade into obscurity

Obstructed_View
01-23-2013, 03:04 AM
Even if it had the potential to make the Spurs better, I think I'd rather see LA continue to struggle.

smaka
01-23-2013, 06:24 AM
We don't need a pussy in a Spurs uniform. Pass.

Boomersgold
01-23-2013, 06:43 AM
We don't need a pussy in a Spurs uniform. Pass.

Think of Pau as a more experienced, more refined, more proven version of our very own Tiago Splitter. Both are European finesse players with a great touch close to the basket. If we bring in Gasol, that gives us a dominant center in both our starting and bench units.

benefactor
01-23-2013, 06:59 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124967

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Think of Pau as a more experienced, more refined, more proven version of our very own Tiago Splitter. Both are European finesse players with a great touch close to the basket. If we bring in Gasol, that gives us a dominant center in both our starting and bench units.

No disrespect to Splitter, I like him, but Pau is the much superior player, much more talented. He's not in the best shape now, menatally especially, and it's easy to forget what a force he was in the Lakers title years and with Spain. If Lakers are dealing him for Jack, Splitter and fillers, then Pop will jump at the offer, make no mistake. Sad reality is they'll get a star player for him even if his trade value is at an all time low right now.

Thomas82
01-23-2013, 09:14 AM

If they were willing to throw in their lottery pick this year as a sweetener, I would seriously consider it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot that pick belongs to Phoenix.

td4mvp2k
01-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Pop is :lol at this trade.

Darius Bieber
01-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Okay what if we did this straight up??

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b7ans3p

The worst thing that can happen is that we get another great Towel-Waver a la Patrick Mills and that Splitter/Duncan have a big body to work against during Practice.

td4mvp2k
01-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Why would the Grizzlies do that?

look_at_g_shred
01-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Okay what if we did this straight up??

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b7ans3p

The worst thing that can happen is that we get another great Towel-Waver a la Patrick Mills and that Splitter/Duncan have a big body to work against during Practice.

Blair > Haddadi

Creation88
01-23-2013, 12:36 PM
*looks at calendar*

AAAH! it's the idiotic trade time of the year!

superbigtime
01-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Rather trade Jax for Al Horford.

underdawg
01-23-2013, 04:05 PM
*looks at calendar*

AAAH! it's the idiotic trade time of the year!

yes it is and here's my submission - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a5t9jr8

Detroit's not playing Jerebko and Bonner helps Drummond develop

Chris
01-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Never realized Sjax was on the books for 10 mill :wow

maverick1948
01-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Gasol >>>>>>> DWest.

Both are OLD. NO to both.