PDA

View Full Version : 2007 NBA redraft?

racm
01-23-2013, 08:24 AM
1st: Kevin Durant (F, Texas) (original position: 2nd overall)

Duh. Already the 2nd best player in the league and babied by Stern even more than LeBron. Could soon join the 50/40/90 club.

2nd: Joakim Noah (F/C, Florida) (original position: 9th overall)

A bit of a reach? Maybe, but IMO he's the reason why Tom Thibodeau's defense is clicking as it is in Chicago. Is basically the Andrei Kirilenko of centers, posting roughly 11/10/4/1/2 from the 5.

3rd: Marc Gasol (C, Spain) (original position: 48th overall)

Fat Gasol is another great passing big man and a good defender, and is also key to the Grizzlies' potent play on the defensive end. Pretty amusing to put him in the same draft position as his brother Pau.

4th: Mike Conley, Jr (G, Ohio State) (original position: 4th overall)

IMO the Grizzlies' third best player behind ZBo and Fat Gasol. Does a little bit of everything for a contender's PG: shoots well, passes well, and plays great defense. The fact that his contract is fitting to his production helps too.

5th: Al Horford (F/C, Florida) (original position: 3rd overall)

A double double machine. Could be a tad more aggressive. Yet another big from this draft who passes well.

6th: Arron Afflalo (G, UCLA) (original position: 27th overall)

A reliable swingman who can create for himself and also play off ball. Plays good defense, yet is probably an elite role player at best.

7th: Carl Landry (F, Purdue) (original position: 31st overall)

An undersized low post scorer with the ability to hit a midrange shot. Seems to give whatever team he plays on quality minutes. Is currently helping Golden State make a run at the playoffs.

8th: Tiago Splitter (F/C, Brazil) (original position: 28th overall)

GNSF may get on my goat for this but let's face it, ever since Pop did the obvious and started him alongside TD he's gone from "elite backup center" to "very good starting center". Second in league FG%, and one of a handful of players in the top 20 in both offensive and defensive rating. Yet another big man who can pass pretty well, though not to the degree of Gasol or Noah.

9th: Jeff Green (F, Georgetown) (original position: 5th overall)

The thing about Jeff Green is that it's undeniable that he has talent but for some reason he can't take the next step, which is why he's a sort of overpaid role player right now who shows flashes of why he was drafted 5th overall.

10th: Rodney Stuckey (G, Eastern Washington (original position: 15th overall)

If this draft is so weak that the 10th overall pick is a combo guard who does the same thing every year, I dunno.

11th: Thaddeus Young (F, Georgia Tech) (original position: 12th overall)

He's been the Sixers' most consistent and third best player this season. Make of that what you will.

12th: Marco Belinelli (G, Italy) (original position: 18th overall)

Second best Italian in the league after Gallinari, tbh, but probably has even bigger balls, tbh.

13th: Jared Dudley (G/F, Boston College (original position: 22nd overall)

Look! It's that incredibly solid yet not very athletic role player guy! Is probably Phoenix's most consistent player, though.

14th: Glen Davis (F/C, LSU) (original position: 35th overall)

Look! It's another fat big man from LSU! A good scoring PF but is too slow to guard stretch bigs but is also too small to guard Cs. Filled in for Dwight decently last playoffs, though.

Strategic
01-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Nice start but you hit the enter button too quick, where's the rest? :greedy

dunkman
01-23-2013, 08:42 AM
I don't understand why the Spurs passed on fat Gasol. It's incredible how the Lakers stole him with 48-th pick.

racm
01-23-2013, 08:51 AM
I don't understand why the Spurs passed on fat Gasol. It's incredible how the Lakers stole him with 48-th pick.

Nobody knew he was gonna be THIS good, tbh... I mean I don't regret the Splitter pick but I think he's only second to Manu in terms of being a draft steal in the second round.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Nobody knew he was gonna be THIS good, tbh... I mean I don't regret the Splitter pick but I think he's only second to Manu in terms of being a draft steal in the second round.

The Splitter pick was just fine, but the Marcus Williams pick ahead of Gasol was bollocks. Of course, there are many teams who passed on him, not just the Spurs.

phxspurfan
01-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Nick Young, Wilson Chandler, Aaron Brooks, Spanish Manu were all in this draft. Pretty decent draft...

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_history/2007.html

Also Spencer Hawes, Corey Brewer and Aaron Gray. Three guys I would rather have on this team than our bottom three Blair, Bonner and Neal/Joseph

Also, I think the Spurs did really well in this draft with their top pick, considering almost all of the above mentioned guys were gone by their time to take a pick. Gasol obviously was a steal but the other notable 2nd rounders were all "meh" compared to Splitter:

Carl Landry
Glen Davis
Aaron Gray
Ramon Sessions

Maybe Holt has a secret time machine he's not telling anyone about...or a good fortune teller.

TD 21
01-23-2013, 07:14 PM
No way Horford and Splitter go that low.

1. Durant, 2. M. Gasol, 3. Horford, 4. Noah, 5. Splitter, 6. Conley, 7. T. Young, 8. Afflalo, 9. Landry, 10. Stuckey, 11. Sessions, 12. Hawes, 13. Chandler, 14. Davis

will_spurs
01-23-2013, 07:17 PM
I agree with TD 21. Splitter is a big and can play. There's no way he isn't a top 5 pick just based on that.

will_spurs
01-23-2013, 07:18 PM

Not sure I understand you correctly, do you mean Marc Gasol is 2nd to Manu in terms of 2nd round draft steals? I'd say Arenas belongs in the discussion, even with his shorter career.

exstatic
01-23-2013, 08:19 PM
People understood Splitter's talent. He was projected as lottery talent. We got him late for the same reason we got Scola late: contract issues. I think if you re-drafted, he'd go in the same spot. Teams don't want to wait on players like the Spurs will.

Tuddy
01-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Noah sucks

Drom John
01-24-2013, 09:51 AM
I'd put Splitter much lower (but climbing with a bullet) because of lack of PT, basically downgrade his draft leading WS/48 due to contract delay.
By WS:
1 Durant
2 Horford
3 Gasol
4 Noah
5 Young, Thaddeus
6 Landry
7 Conley
8 Dudley
9 Afflalo
10 Stuckey
11 Sessions
12 Green
13 Davis
14 Fernandez
15 Brooks (148 more games than Splitter)
16 Splitter
17 Hawes
18 Chandler
19 Belinelli
20 McRoberts
21 Wright, Brandan
22 Young, Nick
23 Smith
24 Oden (3rd best WS/48, behind Durant, ahead of Noah)
25 Brewer
26 Thornton
27 Gray
28 Cook
29 McGuire
30 Wright, Julian
54 Printezis
57 Williams negative WS

Mel_13
01-24-2013, 11:17 AM

No team, including the Lakers, had any idea that Gasol could be this good. The Lakers left him on the board to select Sun Yue at #40.