PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker: Lock For Hall of Fame Now?

ABC
01-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Four (fifth coming) All-Star Selections. Finals MVP. Second and Third team All-NBA selections. Not to mention three rings. I think he's golden.

cd98
01-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Yes. If Reggie Miller and Chris Mullin make it, how can Tony Parker not?

FromWayDowntown
01-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Assuming that he does get picked, Tony Parker will become one of only 20 players in history to have won 3 titles and to have made 5 All-Star teams. Of the 20, the 16 who are eligible for the Hall of Fame are all enshrined:

Bill Russell (11 titles/12 ASG)
Bill Sharman (4/8)
Bob Cousy (6/13)
Dennis Johnson (3/5)
James Worthy (3/7)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (6/19)
Kevin McHale (3/7)
Larry Bird (3/12)
Magic Johnson (5/12)
Michael Jordan (6/14)
Robert Parish (4/9)
Sam Jones (10/5)
Scottie Pippen (6/7)
Slater Martin (5/7)
Tom Heinsohn (8/6)
Vern Mikkelsen (4/6)

The 4 who are not yet eligible for the Hall of Fame are:

Kobe Bryant (5/15)
Shaquille O'Neal (4/15)
Tim Duncan (4/14 (assuming a selection this year))
Tony Parker (3/5 (assuming a selection this year))

(Dwyane Wade sits on the cusp of joining this group, needing one more title (which seems possible, if not likely). If and when he joins this group, he doesn't change the ultimate logic).

I don't think TP's membership in that club will be widely reported, but it certainly would seem to suggest that he's moving in on guaranteeing himself a spot in Springfield (if he hasn't done that already). There are plenty of guys who've won multiple titles, but many of them weren't consistently all-star players; there are plenty of consistently all-star players who fail to win multiple titles. But the select few who have won 3 titles and consistently been selected as all-stars are all immortalized in the Hall of Fame.

JingleJangleJingle
01-23-2013, 04:42 PM
The Spurs Big 3 should all make the Hall-of-Fame

capek
01-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Yep, how gloriously fortunate we've been to have these guys on the team their whole careers. :tu

ffadicted
01-23-2013, 06:01 PM
The Spurs Big 3 should all make the Hall-of-Fame

cheguevara
01-23-2013, 06:06 PM
since basketball HOF is a joke, yes he's probably a lock

Richie
01-23-2013, 06:14 PM
He's a lock as an international committee pick.

The question is who has a better resume, Ginobili or Parker? Same number of rings, Parker has a Finals MVP and more all star appearances, Manu has olympic gold and Euro titles and MVPs

CubanMustGo
01-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Basketball-reference.com ranks Tony 13th among active players, with a 72.6% probability.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html

Mr. Body
01-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Parker is probably the most under-valued and under-appreciated player in the league.

Obstructed_View
01-23-2013, 06:32 PM
The fact that Vince Carter is ahead of Parker on that list is an indication of how under-valued he is.

Southwest Texas Fan
01-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Parker is probably the most under-valued and under-appreciated player in the league.

Agree.

lefty
01-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Regular season only performers are not HOFers

therealtruth
01-23-2013, 06:59 PM
He could help his rep by not failing on the big stage like in '04 and '11. He also got bailed out a couple of times in the Finals.

will_spurs
01-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Regular season only performers are not HOFers

True, although McGrady might prove you wrong. However, this has nothing to do with this thread, no matter how much you wish it would.

Ghjkll
01-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Tony is a mortal lock. He is already a five times all-star, a former finals mvp and member of three (and barring injuries) All-NBA Teams. Two of them 2nd...By the times re retires, he will probably have two more all star games and at least another All-NBA Team. So, his resume will look like: x7 All-Star, x4 All-NBA Team, Finals MVP and three (hopefully, four or more) NBA championships. Even though i´m argentinean, Parker is the most criminally underrated player, even in this forum. Never ceases to amaze me. Manu´s resume in the NBA is crearly inferior.

TD 21
01-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Yes, the body of work is too strong at this point and he's young enough that he can still add significantly more. He's not a true number one option on a championship team, but if that were the standard to make it, the majority of people who are in now wouldn't be.

Dr. Robert Lee
01-23-2013, 08:04 PM

The question is who has a better resume, Ginobili or Parker? Same number of rings, Parker has a Finals MVP and more all star appearances, Manu has olympic gold and Euro titles and MVPs
Manu does given his international prowess.

spurraider21
01-23-2013, 08:19 PM
The fact that Vince Carter is ahead of Parker on that list is an indication of how under-valued he is.
I'm pretty surprised that Bosh is ahead of Pau tbh. Arenas over Billups?

Gagnrath
01-23-2013, 08:35 PM
I dislike that list immensely as people who are in the hall are in some cases show to have lower probability of entry than players who are not, As a numbers website, you should at least have your numbers ranking auto include everyone in the hall at a 100% chance of being in the hall, save maybe rodman who just might do something outrageous enough to get him kicked out.

TMTTRIO
01-23-2013, 11:07 PM
No question Tony will make it. He's had an amazing career and he's still in his prime and can add to it. As for Manu he will make it based mainly on his international career/achievements (gold medal). His NBA resume isn't that impressive as for individual accomplishments other than being a part of three championships. Anything he can do in the NBA can't hurt his chances either but it's not going to be a big reason why he makes it.

DMC
01-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Bill Russell's numbers are disgusting.

therealtruth
01-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Tony gets in for his floater.

Ice009
01-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Who gives a fuck? Spurs are not playing for the hall of fame.

Darkwaters
01-24-2013, 12:50 AM

Without a doubt Ginobili.

Parker's body of work outside the NBA isn't all too significant. Ginobili's is very strong - Italian and Euroleague titles. Italian league MVP. Olympic Gold and Bronze medal.

Sean Cagney
01-24-2013, 12:52 AM

You are probably correct.

spursfan09
01-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Isn't he the first European born - Finals MVP? He's had a great NBA career and deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

TDMVPDPOY
01-24-2013, 10:02 AM
he should be thankful that scrub boobie gibson made him a fmvp...fkn

boutons_deux
01-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Tony, Tim, Manu, Pop, all headed EARLY to the HOF.

ABC
01-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Yeah, for a long time it seemed like it could go either way, but after last year and this year, it feels like he's a lock for the HOF.

will_spurs
01-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Who gives a fuck? Spurs are not playing for the hall of fame.

I'm sure the players give a fuck, including Duncan (or D-Rob). Not sure about Pop, but I'm sure he'll get a bit emotional like all the others before him when he gets inducted.

dunkman
01-24-2013, 05:38 PM
First ballot HOT-er, he's lock to get in.

will_spurs
01-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Assuming that he does get picked, Tony Parker will become one of only 20 players in history to have won 3 titles and to have made 5 All-Star teams.

It's really amazing to see Parker is likely to join this extremely small, extremely elite club of players who had great success both on a personal and team level.

roycrikside
01-24-2013, 05:51 PM
He's been a lock since 2007 and only enhanced his resume since, and I say that as a card-carrying CoM.

ThaBigFundamental21
01-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Maybe from a purely international player standpoint. For an everyday American born player, probably not. His numbers are good, not great. Not HOF imo. If he could play at or near this level for another 5 years, then most def. The NBA has probably the weirdest format for HOF selection. Sabonis? Really? I don't agree.

ABC
01-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Maybe from a purely international player standpoint. For an everyday American born player, probably not. His numbers are good, not great. Not HOF imo. If he could play at or near this level for another 5 years, then most def. The NBA has probably the weirdest format for HOF selection. Sabonis? Really? I don't agree.

The "numbers" that really count are not his point and assist career averages, but his all-star selections (5), finals mvp (1), all-nba selections (2), and rings (3). He's a lock for the hall of fame. If he were born in the United States, he'd be a lock for the hall of fame.

And Parker hasn't done much internationally. Sabonis was great internationally and pretty old when he came to the nba.

racm
01-24-2013, 09:32 PM
TP doesn't have Manu's impressive international resume (given that he was drafted as a teenager) but being the best Frenchman in the league should be noteworthy.

FromWayDowntown
01-24-2013, 10:28 PM
The "numbers" that really count are not his point and assist career averages, but his all-star selections (5), finals mvp (1), all-nba selections (2), and rings (3). He's a lock for the hall of fame. If he were born in the United States, he'd be a lock for the hall of fame.

If Parker's resume had 5 all-star games, 1 Finals MVP, 3 All-NBA selections, 2 All-Defense picks, but only 1 title would he be a lock?

ABC
01-24-2013, 11:52 PM
If Parker's resume had 5 all-star games, 1 Finals MVP, 3 All-NBA selections, 2 All-Defense picks, but only 1 title would he be a lock?

Do I have to answer before I know who you're talking about? :lol

I'm going to say no, not a lock. Two more titles makes a difference.

But after trying to figure out who you were talking about, I'm a little less sure about Parker. Why isn't Jo Jo White in the HOF?

Juggity
01-24-2013, 11:59 PM

But after trying to figure out who you were talking about, I'm a little less sure about Parker. Why isn't Jo Jo White in the HOF?

http://cdnl.complex.com/mp/620/400/80/0/bb/1/ffffff/b28f0838e3c572810113291dce06972e/images_/assets/CHANNEL_IMAGES/SPORTS/2012/06/the-25-most-clutch-players-in-nba-finals-history/billups_264091.jpg

ABC
01-25-2013, 06:06 AM

I didn't fully understand/remember the hall of fame's selection process when I first responded to your post. I see where you're coming from after reading up a bit. I'm still thinking Parker is a sure thing because he'll be evaluated by the International Committee. I think he'd get in if he were evaluated by the North American Committee instead, but he would no longer be a "lock."

TDMVPDPOY
01-25-2013, 07:39 AM
i dont think parker will get in...his nothing more then a role player, his at the level or horry,kerr,fisher....just role players who coat ride to rings have no business being honored.....

Brazil
01-25-2013, 08:08 AM
i dont think parker will get in...his nothing more then a role player, his at the level or horry,kerr,fisher....just role players who coat ride to rings have no business being honored.....

:lmao, never fail to deliver the bads

Obstructed_View
01-25-2013, 08:12 AM

Not if he only averaged 16 and 6 for his career.

100%duncan
01-25-2013, 08:28 AM

Why is that even the question? Manu's not supposed to be in this thread anyway.

TDMVPDPOY
01-25-2013, 08:51 AM

lol french wankers trying to down play ginos international success while boasting about the hero nba success...

Richie
01-25-2013, 10:52 AM

Because the thread is boring otherwise. Of course Tony is a lock for the hall of fame, anyone who disagrees is trolling. I think a debate over who has had the better career, Tony v Manu is interesting. European/Int'l honours vs NBA honours.

Maddog
01-25-2013, 11:28 AM

Not sure why Jo Jo white isn't in the hall of fame
7 All Stars 2 titles and 1 Finals MVP 2 2nd team all NBA
However his stats while good are not awe inspiring 17 ppg (only 44% FG) < 5 APG

My own take- although I don't think this what the voters feel- Is he played during a time when talent was very diluted. His peak years where in the pre merger period. There is indirect evidence to suggest that the ABA was equal if not superior to the NBA the last few years.
I remember watching him and thinking he was a good player but not great. Tony has flaws but teams do have to adjust there game plans for him (sometimes successfully, but do have to change)

Bottom line- I think there are clear cut HOF, but a lot of players on the edge. My own opinion is Tony should be in. However, I am extremely biased since I've been a life long Spurs fan. Should Jo Jo White or Chauncey Billups be in. Don't know. I would favor Chauncey over Jo Jo- just think he is/was a better player. However in many ways Whites objective data is better....

ABC
01-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Not sure why Jo Jo white isn't in the hall of fame
7 All Stars 2 titles and 1 Finals MVP 2 2nd team all NBA
However his stats while good are not awe inspiring 17 ppg (only 44% FG) < 5 APG

My own take- although I don't think this what the voters feel- Is he played during a time when talent was very diluted. His peak years where in the pre merger period. There is indirect evidence to suggest that the ABA was equal if not superior to the NBA the last few years.
I remember watching him and thinking he was a good player but not great. Tony has flaws but teams do have to adjust there game plans for him (sometimes successfully, but do have to change)

Bottom line- I think there are clear cut HOF, but a lot of players on the edge. My own opinion is Tony should be in. However, I am extremely biased since I've been a life long Spurs fan. Should Jo Jo White or Chauncey Billups be in. Don't know. I would favor Chauncey over Jo Jo- just think he is/was a better player. However in many ways Whites objective data is better....

Having only seen White's numbers, it was hard to see how he wasn't in. You're explanation sounds pretty reasonable to me. Thanks for reply. :toast

Richie
01-25-2013, 03:23 PM
http://cdnl.complex.com/mp/620/400/80/0/bb/1/ffffff/b28f0838e3c572810113291dce06972e/images_/assets/CHANNEL_IMAGES/SPORTS/2012/06/the-25-most-clutch-players-in-nba-finals-history/billups_264091.jpg

I think Billups makes it to the HOF. However, since the comparison is with Tony, if Billups had 2 more championships he'd be a lock for the Hall.

TampaDude
01-25-2013, 03:32 PM
TP will make the HOF. 3 titles speaks loudly.

Drachen
01-25-2013, 03:32 PM

It is the basketball HOF, not the NBA HOF.

Brazil
01-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Because the thread is boring otherwise. Of course Tony is a lock for the hall of fame, anyone who disagrees is trolling. I think a debate over who has had the better career, Tony v Manu is interesting. European/Int'l honours vs NBA honours.

because Manu international successes it is not even a question, manu has a better career

Mal
01-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Basketball-reference.com ranks Tony 13th among active players, with a 72.6% probability.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html

How the f Paul is 90% ?

chapnis
01-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Haha, BR has Manu as a 14% probability for HOF. Probably wouldn't read too much into it

And LOL at Chris Bosh 90% chance

spurs10
01-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Yes, a lock. If I can't be there for all four, it would be sweet to make it to at least one of their inductions. Something's in life you just have to do!

Bruno
01-25-2013, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't called Parker a lock but he is getting closer to it.

Regarding Ginobili, you can make a strong argument that he shouldn't be in it by himself but that the 2004 Argentina NT should be the one going to the HOF.

Drachen
01-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Yes

100%duncan
01-25-2013, 08:42 PM
lol french wankers trying to down play ginos international success while boasting about the hero nba success...

You're stupid.

TDMVPDPOY
01-25-2013, 09:17 PM
hopefully he credits claxton, daniels, kerr and udrih for bailing out his ass...

TMTTRIO
01-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Regarding Ginobili, you can make a strong argument that he shouldn't be in it by himself but that the 2004 Argentina (http://www.surfcanyon.com/search?f=slc&q=ginobili%20Argentina&p=wtigck) NT should be the one going to the HOF.

If Manu makes the HOF which I think it will it will be more than just this. Of course he was the leader of his NT that brought several medals to them but he's accomplished so much more overseas. Plus he had several other Euroleague championships/MVPs. In fact they say he's one of only three to have a gold medal, Euroleague Championship, and an NBA championship.

Bruno
01-25-2013, 11:40 PM
If Manu makes the HOF which I think it will it will be more than just this. Of course he was the leader of his NT that brought several medals to them but he's accomplished so much more overseas. Plus he had several other Euroleague championships/MVPs. In fact they say he's one of only three to have a gold medal, Euroleague Championship, and an NBA championship.

Well, if it was up to me, I would put Ginobili and the 2004 Argentina NT in the HOF.

Manu's Euro career is quite overrated. His Euroleague title isn't also a true one. He won it in a year where top Europeans teams were split into two competitions.

FromWayDowntown
01-30-2014, 11:41 PM
3 Rings & 6 All-Star Games
1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (6/19)- HOF
2. Larry Bird (3/12)- HOF
3. Kobe Bryant (5/15)
4. Bob Cousy (6/13)- HOF
5. Tim Duncan (4/14)
6. John Havlicek (8/13)- HOF
7. Tommy Heinsohn (8/6)- HOF
8. Magic Johnson (5/12)- HOF
9. Michael Jordan (6/14)- HOF
10. Slater Martin (5/7)- HOF
11. Kevin McHale (3/7)- HOF
12. Vern Mikkelsen (4/6)
13. Shaquille O'Neal (4/15)
14. Robert Parish (4/9)- HOF
15. Tony Parker (3/6)
16. Scottie Pippen (6/7) - HOF
17. Bill Russell (11/12) - HOF
18. Bill Sharman (4/8)- HOF
19. Dwayne Wade (3/10)
20. James Worthy (3/7)- HOF

ElNono
01-30-2014, 11:53 PM
I think taking his team to the top of the Euro did it, tbh... this just increases his chances.

DMC
01-31-2014, 12:57 AM
Probably, but he's always hovered around the top tier, never considered the best at his position at any time by anyone other than Spurs fans. He was on a good team in a great system, and he's got speed and scoring ability. He's taken the reins, sort of, of this team. I say "sort of" because he seems to treat the team like it's mostly a chore working with guys who are less than him on the court, and I don't see the team leadership in him that both David and Tim displayed. Might not affect his legacy overall, but he's not a franchise guy imo.

Kidd K
01-31-2014, 01:38 AM
Assuming that he does get picked, Tony Parker will become one of only 20 players in history to have won 3 titles and to have made 5 All-Star teams. Of the 20, the 16 who are eligible for the Hall of Fame are all enshrined:
Bill Russell (11 titles/12 ASG)
Bill Sharman (4/8)
Bob Cousy (6/13)
Dennis Johnson (3/5)
James Worthy (3/7)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (6/19)
Kevin McHale (3/7)
Larry Bird (3/12)
Magic Johnson (5/12)
Michael Jordan (6/14)
Robert Parish (4/9)
Sam Jones (10/5)
Scottie Pippen (6/7)
Slater Martin (5/7)
Tom Heinsohn (8/6)
Vern Mikkelsen (4/6)

The 4 who are not yet eligible for the Hall of Fame are:
Kobe Bryant (5/15)
Shaquille O'Neal (4/15)
Tim Duncan (4/14 (assuming a selection this year))
Tony Parker (3/5 (assuming a selection this year))

(Dwyane Wade sits on the cusp of joining this group, needing one more title (which seems possible, if not likely). If and when he joins this group, he doesn't change the ultimate logic).

I don't think TP's membership in that club will be widely reported, but it certainly would seem to suggest that he's moving in on guaranteeing himself a spot in Springfield (if he hasn't done that already). There are plenty of guys who've won multiple titles, but many of them weren't consistently all-star players; there are plenty of consistently all-star players who fail to win multiple titles. But the select few who have won 3 titles and consistently been selected as all-stars are all immortalized in the Hall of Fame.

Great post and great piece of information too.

All but TP are definitely HoFers. . .so TP pretty much should default into there the way reaching certain milestones in the much more difficult to get into baseball HOF locks you up for enshrinement. 3,000 hits, 500 jacks, etc. 3 titles, 5 ASG selections, and Finals MVP, I don't see how TP doesn't get in.

Let's put it this way too. . .Joe Dumars was the 2nd best player on those bad boy Pistons teams. Compare and contrast his stats to TP's. TP crushes his stats. . .

TP also has unique stats on his side like his high FG% for a PG. Not to mention the excellent AST to TO ratio and the AST% to TOV% ratio, some very high statistical seasons, and the high finishing rank in MVP voting one year. Doesn't hurt to be a tremendous winner either.

Sean Cagney
01-31-2014, 04:29 AM
Great post and great piece of information too.

All but TP are definitely HoFers. . .so TP pretty much should default into there the way reaching certain milestones in the much more difficult to get into baseball HOF locks you up for enshrinement. 3,000 hits, 500 jacks, etc. 3 titles, 5 ASG selections, and Finals MVP, I don't see how TP doesn't get in.

Let's put it this way too. . .Joe Dumars was the 2nd best player on those bad boy Pistons teams. Compare and contrast his stats to TP's. TP crushes his stats. . .

TP also has unique stats on his side like his high FG% for a PG. Not to mention the excellent AST to TO ratio and the AST% to TOV% ratio, some very high statistical seasons, and the high finishing rank in MVP voting one year. Doesn't hurt to be a tremendous winner either.

I agree but do not call out the great Joe D! He was great on O and D and an all around player and one of my faves to ever play the game ;) TP is a hall of famer we get the point though AND I FULLY agree with you.

Baam
01-31-2014, 06:59 AM
edit didnt see the date of the post I quoted

barakz21
01-31-2014, 08:43 AM
I think he's already a lock for HoF, but the only question is he can make it in his first year of eligibility. I think another title, 2-3 more all star selections, 1 or 2 more All-NBA selections should push him in. But regardless of whether he actually gets in or not, as a spurfan I'd already be proud of what TP has achieved thus far. I don't think I'm the only one who never thought his career would be what it is today.

Kidd K
01-31-2014, 12:27 PM
I agree but do not call out the great Joe D! He was great on O and D and an all around player and one of my faves to ever play the game ;) TP is a hall of famer we get the point though AND I FULLY agree with you.

Oh I know, I was just comparing stats and accomplishments. Tony has better stats and an extra ring, so imo it makes him a lock