PDA

View Full Version : Nets going after Abdur-Rahim

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 03:20 PM
From Marc Stein ..

Knowing that unrestricted free agent Shareef Abdur-Rahim will generate fierce competition at the bargain price of roughly $5 million for next season, New Jersey took a proactive step at the first permissible moment. Nets coach Lawrence Frank, according to league sources, took a flight Thursday so he'd be able to see Abdur-Rahim right after midnight ... and not just to reminisce about their days together in Vancouver.

ducks
07-01-2005, 03:21 PM
how are they going to pay him?
jefferson+kidd + carter = BIG BUCKS

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 03:23 PM
They have the full MLE to offer him.

ShoogarBear
07-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Why would you want both Jefferson and SAR?

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 03:26 PM
The Nets could use some frontcourt help. But they'll have a hard time convincing Abdur-Rahim to take the $4.9 million they can offer, the New York Daily News reports.
In fact, Aaron Goodwin, Abdur-Rahim's agent, said it is "doubtful" that he'd take lesser money to go to New Jersey. The only draw might be Lawrence Frank and Jason Kidd. Frank was a scout and assistant with the Vancouver Grizzlies in 1997 when Abdur-Rahim played up north. And Kidd and Abdur-Rahim both played college ball at Cal.

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Not too bright. They don't need another scorer. They need a big guy who can defend.

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Jefferson is a SF. SAR is a PF.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Brad (Albuquerque, NM): Who do you see the Spurs targeting in free agency if anyone? Any truth to the Abdur-Rahim rumors?

John Hollinger: They'd love to get Shareef with their midlevel. The tricky part is still having enough money left over to sign Scola, since the money for him would have to come out of SA's exceptions.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=8568

ducks
07-01-2005, 03:42 PM
with the nets he actually might make the playoffs

ps if he signs just for the mle why the nets?

ps would portland do a sign and trade with sar with portland getting kidd

clubalien
07-01-2005, 03:59 PM
I actual think NJ would be a good place for SAR

batman2883
07-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Totally off the subject but the Spurs should get Bo Outlaw, let him win a championship in his hometown too. I may just be bias since he went to my High School but still give the guy a chance.

whottt
07-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Why does everyone think we absolutely have to bring Scola over this season?

He's still got a year left on his Tau contract...we could get him next season without a buyout...we'll have the MLE next season...and we'll basically have our entire roster locked up 7 or 8 deep by next season..

Not that I want SAR anyway...he's a loser...but we are not in danger of losing Scola right now...it's not like our greatest need is PF either...

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 04:04 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=8568

This SAR rumor has taken on a life of its own. He could be a useful player in SA, but he's never struck me as an ideal target for the Spurs.

Perhaps the feeling is that Duncan needs someone who can score up front with him a little.

ducks
07-01-2005, 04:05 PM
whott you have a point
spurs could offer big dog the full mle

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 04:07 PM
This SAR rumor has taken on a life of its own.

Yeah it's in every article that I read.

The linchpin is Abdur-Rahim. The Nets are competing with the Heat and the Spurs, but New Jersey has some ties to Abdur-Rahim that could go a long way.

Frank and Abdur-Rahim have a close relationship from their time in the Grizzlies' organization. Also, Abdur-Rahim and Kidd attended the University of California.

Sources close to Abdur-Rahim and the Nets say these could be big advantages for New Jersey.

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjYmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY3MTU4MTYmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2

Aaron Goodwin, Abdur-Rahim's agent, said it is "doubtful" that the power forward would settle for the $4.9 million the Nets can offer. But Goodwin did say there are two people that can convince Abdur-Rahim to pick the Nets over potential suitors such as the Knicks, Heat, Cavs and Spurs.

"Lawrence Frank and Jason Kidd certainly help," Goodwin said yesterday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/324179p-277118c.html

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 04:09 PM
I wonder who or what is the source of these rumors of SAR to SA?

SenorSpur
07-01-2005, 04:13 PM
The Nets management are dumb asses. They took a two-time Eastern conference contender and let one of their star players (Kenyon Martin) walk without compensation, along with Kerry Kittles. Apparently management wanted to hold the line on salaries.

After tanking in the standings, driving away fans and listening to the constant complaints of J-Kidd. they go out and acquire VC before the trading deadline. They also cut bait with Alonzo Mourning.

Without a scoring presence in the post, they now are after SAR. Makes no sense. In a round about way, this is an admission that they should have held onto K-Mart. This is all about subtraction by addition.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 04:13 PM
I'd let KMart walk.

spur219
07-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Ya I heard that he might go to the Nets. If he does then the Nets will be back up there and competing in the Eastern Conference.