PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana

Avante
01-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Of all the states that's the one I wish I'd been raised in. I had no business out here in California.

As we know it borders both Texas and Mississippi. Which would have been perfect for a guy like myself who is totally wrapped up in them old blues. Not a big jazz fan but who knows if I'd been raised around it. Football in the south is unlike football anywhere else, then there's the SEC in both football and track. The SEC alone could beat some countries in track. Now add the passion, where do we see passion like we see coming from the south?

James Lee Burke is my favorite author still living, he writes about detective David Robicheaux and his side kick Clete Purcel (bad bad bad dude) in that gator, jazz, Angola Prison, Hogman Maxey, Creole, voodoo, world. Mesmerizing would fit. Incredible stories and yes movies have been made from some of Burke's books.

My parents were from Missouri and Oklahoma, they met at a county fair when my dad was knocked from the ring by the shows pro fighter. He ended up at mom's feet. I guess if he'd won the fight.....

8TpCDLVB4lw

PGmFTQsArb8

redzero
01-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Eh, nothing to cry home about.

DesignatedT
01-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Texas or GTFO

Avante
01-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Eh, nothing to cry home about.

You do have a point there. Maybe if I had of been raised there it would be, ho hum.

Avante
01-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Texas or GTFO

Texas is too far from Mississippi. I wanted to be smack dab in the middle between Texas and Mississippi. Texas blues does rival the Delta blues.

Texan Blind Lemon Jefferson a far bigger star than anyone from Mississippi.

mrsmaalox
01-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Yea, Blind Whoever is a much bigger star than Elvis :rolleyes

Avante
01-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Yea, Blind Whoever is a much bigger star than Elvis :rolleyes

It wasn't very obvious I was talking about them old blues, sure it was.

And it's not Blind Whoever, if you knew music you'd know about Blind Lemon Jefferson. Remember that movie..."Black Snake Moan"?

h3yd-c91ww8

marini martini
01-24-2013, 06:02 PM

And it's not Blind Whoever, if you knew music you'd know about Blind Lemon Jefferson. Remember that movie..."Black Snake Moan"?

h3yd-c91ww8

Remember it? she lived it! :lmao

mrsmaalox
01-24-2013, 06:10 PM

h3yd-c91ww8

No it wasn't obvious-----you said "anyone" not "any blues"-----and he's still not a bigger star than Muddy Waters or BB King.

mrsmaalox
01-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Remember it? she lived it! :lmao

Dammit, Marini! Now everyone knows about my secret past! :lol

DeadlyDynasty
01-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Worst place I've ever lived in my life, and it wasn't close. I'm jaded though, b/c I worked primarily out of Alexandria, LA.

Avante
01-24-2013, 06:19 PM
A CD featuring music from Louisiana. How cool would...

Rabbit Brown
Professor Longhair
King Solomon Hill
Oscar Woods
Jimmie Davis...one time governor
Buddy Guy
Little Walter
Louis Armstrong
Blind Willie Reynolds
Jellyroll Morton
Lead Belly...discovered in Angola Prison
Robert Pete Williams...discovered in Angola Prison
King Oliver
Kid Ory
Papa Charley Jackson
Dr.John
The Neville Brothers

.....that be?

I confess not a fan of Zydeco music.

Avante
01-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Worst place I've ever lived in my life, and it wasn't close. I'm jaded though, b/c I worked primarily out of Alexandria, LA.

Why did it suck so hard?

DeadlyDynasty
01-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Why did it suck so hard?

It was akin to a 3rd-world country, but primarily populated with poor white trash and filthy negroes. Only good part was that I saved up a lot of money in my short there

Avante
01-24-2013, 06:31 PM
No it wasn't obvious-----you said "anyone" not "any blues"-----and he's still not a bigger star than Muddy Waters or BB King.

You totally missed the point.

Blind Lemon Jefferson was the first male blues star, talking old prewar blues here. Trust me I'm the guy who can rattle off every blues cat who ever recorded, dead serious. Blind Lemon first recored in 1926, three years before ..The King of the Delta Blues...Charley Patton and 10 tears before the famous Robert Johnson. I was talking about them old way back when blues, those who influensed Muddy and King.

Avante
01-24-2013, 06:33 PM
It was akin to a 3rd-world country, but primarily populated with poor white trash and filthy negroes. Only good part was that I saved up a lot of money in my short there

Sounds interesting, right down my alley.

Ever been to Storyville in NO?

CuckingFunt
01-25-2013, 02:09 AM
Sounds interesting, right down my alley.

Ever been to Storyville in NO?

Storyville is projects.

And Fresno suits you.

Avante
01-25-2013, 02:13 AM
Storyville is projects.

And Fresno suits you.

Way back in the day, black on black crime in Storyville was cool with the cops, they weren't going in there over that. In his book...SATCHMO...Louis Armstrong tells some stories about Storyville, some hard to believe. Not sure exactly where but James Alley is somewhere around Storyville.

I my opinion the greatest blues tune from Louisiana.

y3JEVhOAyMo

Fresno like anywhere else has the right/wrong side of the tracks.

CuckingFunt
01-25-2013, 02:21 AM
Way back in the day, black on black crime in Storyville was cool with the cops, they weren't going in there over that. In his book...SATCHMO...Louis Armstrong tells some stories about Storyville, some hard to believe.

I'm telling you that now Storyville, or the part of the city that was Storyville, is now the location of actual projects. And I don't need you to tell me the history of the city I live in.

Fresno like anywhere else has the right/wrong side of the tracks.

Sure. But even the right side of the tracks are in fucking Fresno.

As I've said in the past, much of my family is from the Central Valley, much of my family still lives in the Central Valley, and from 1997 to 2007 I also lived in the Central Valley. I know the area well. And I stick with my statement that you fit in there just fine.

Avante
01-25-2013, 02:28 AM
I'm telling you that now Storyville, or the part of the city that was Storyville, is now the location of actual projects. And I don't need you to tell me the history of the city I live in.

As I've said in the past, much of my family is from the Central Valley, much of my family still lives in the Central Valley, and from 1997 to 2007 I also lived in the Central Valley. I know the area well. And I stick with my statement that you fit in there just fine.

Where was I telling you the history of the city you live in? Not that most people actually know the history of the city they live in or care to know.

Oh hell yes I fit in perfect here in central Cali. Everyone of us here can totally break down the histories of...

Boxing
Rasslin'
NFL
NCAA football
Track & Field
Them blues
Rock & Roll
Sci fi
Country music
Hollywood
Classic TV
Sword & Sorcery

......it's a central Cali thing. Must be the water.

Let's see...

About 20 miles south we have Delano, that's where the fastest HS sprinter in the nation came from back in the early 50's the great Lemon King, an Oly 4x1 medalist and a 100m WR holder. 50 miles or so west is Lemoore, that's where Tommie Smith came from, still considered by historians to be the greatest all around sprinter ever, the 1968 Oly 200m champion and histories first sub 20.00. On the way to Lemoore we find Tulare, that's where Bob Mathias was born, all he did was win the Olympic decathlon, then there's Kingsburg about 50 miles north right off HWY 99, there we find the great Rafer Johnson the 1960 Olympic decathlon Olympic gold medalist. Like Mathias he also played in a couple movies.

All us central Cali-ites can do that.

But it takes a really special central Cali-ite to know that Rafer has a brother named Jim in the pro football HOF and that Tommie Smith had a younger brother named Ernie who was a 9.4 guy while at Oregon State.

Bottom line is yep, just another dumb central Cali hick, hahahaha!!!!!!!!!

symple19
01-25-2013, 03:18 AM

:lol

symple19
01-25-2013, 03:20 AM
And yes, Fresno suits Avante perfectly

lol Cen-Cal

Avante
01-25-2013, 03:36 AM
And yes, Fresno suits Avante perfectly

lol Cen-Cal

So you know everyone in Fresno, hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're a Niner fan, yet here I sit this central Cali-ite who could totally school you on the history of the team.