PDA

View Full Version : Tiago: 'I want to stay'

Spurs Brazil
01-24-2013, 05:45 PM
In a interview to the ESPN Brazil website: http://espn.estadao.com.br/noticia/305654_agora-titular-splitter-revela-fazer-parte-da-onu-nos-spurs-e-descarta-lakers-na-briga-no-oeste Tiago said he's feeling good now and want to stay with the Spurs.

The interview was after yesterday game. He said with TD out he was involved in a lot of pick and rolls and Tony did a great job finding him open.

Now, playing more minutes, he said he's feeling better physically and it's more confident in his game.

He said Spurs, Thunder and Clippers will be the teams that will fight to win the west. Said it's difficult to the Lakers to go to the Playoffs but if they find a way to go in they will be a difficult team to play against

To finish he said he like to hang around with the group that some in Spurs organization call United Nations: Manu, Boris, Tony and Patty. He said they go to eat together during the road trips

benefactor
01-24-2013, 05:46 PM
I'd say there is an 80% chance he re-signs.

RD2191
01-24-2013, 05:49 PM
who does tim duncan hang out with?

Libri
01-24-2013, 05:53 PM

Antonio Daniels

TrainOfThought5
01-24-2013, 05:53 PM

Hakeem, Kareem, Bill Russell, and David Robinson. theyre a clique.

ThePop
01-24-2013, 05:55 PM

Bigger question is who Kawhi eats with?

lefty
01-24-2013, 05:55 PM

The tired old shitbags

td4mvp2k
01-24-2013, 06:09 PM

He dont eat!

jermaine
01-24-2013, 06:12 PM
His momma!:lol

capek
01-24-2013, 06:23 PM
It's great to hear him say it, though now that he's starting I'm not too surprised. I absolutely love what he brings to the Spurs with the way he runs the court and his footwork, so I really hope we're able to resign him.

SpursRock20
01-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Nando's left out of the United Nations, haha.

SupremeGuy
01-24-2013, 06:30 PM
I always just assumed he'd stay with the Spurs. I think he feels the same way. Some team would really have to make a grand gesture to lure him away from SA.

dylankerouac
01-24-2013, 06:42 PM

I enjoyed that.

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2013, 06:46 PM
4 yr deal for 32 million will get it done, tbh

KL2
01-24-2013, 06:51 PM
I just hope some team doesn't make him an offer he can't refuse.

racm
01-24-2013, 06:55 PM
The Spurs can match any offer but I reckon the Spurs get him agreed on a deal early in the offseason.

pad300
01-24-2013, 06:56 PM
4 yr deal for 32 million will get it done, tbh

I suspect more like $10 Million/year.

jag
01-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Bonner is Canadian... What's he got to do to get an invite to the UN dinners?

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2013, 07:04 PM
I suspect more like $10 Million/year.

Disagree 8 mil per seems more reasonable

Brunodf
01-24-2013, 07:07 PM
7mil/year is fair enough

racm
01-24-2013, 07:11 PM

You mean "wants to be Canadian". Joseph is a real Canadian though.

jag
01-24-2013, 07:13 PM
As far as i'm concerned, he's Canadian.

Chinook
01-24-2013, 07:19 PM

Yeah, Asik money seems about right. I'd go from 22/3 to 36/4.

KL2
01-24-2013, 07:30 PM

You never know with all these desperate GM's out there. I think that is a fair price however I could easily see teams offering him $10 mill a year. Splitter has also been playing very well lately, he's starting to establish himself as one of the best centers in the Nba.

He'll be one of the hottest fa's IMO. When you look at the top FA Centers next year you've got Howard, Bynum, Pekovic, Kaman, and A Jefferson. Howard will get picked up quickly, same with Pekovic, Bynum is not only injury prone but very immature, AJ is terrible defensively hurting his value, Splitter and Kaman are pretty equal.

Ditty
01-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Splitter would defintley earn at least $8 million a year if he was in his early 20'. I think he will get a nice offer from a upcoming team that needs a big guy, but I don't think he is worth more then $8 million a year to the Spurs being 28 years old already, and fits more of a role to be the first big man off the bench for a contender. If he comes back for about 3 years/$12 million I think that will be fair unless he is solid in the playoffs and we have another late postseason run.

pad300
01-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Yeah, Asik money seems about right. I'd go from 22/3 to 36/4.

Good luck with that hope. He's the starting PF on one of the top 4 teams in the league. He's putting up a PER of 20.5, and did the same last year. He putting up a WP/48 of .223 (and put up .183 last year). This is his only shot at a big NBA pay day. I don't think he's not going to be cheap...

rmt
01-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Splitter would defintley earn at least $8 million a year if he was in his early 20'. I think he will get a nice offer from a upcoming team that needs a big guy, but I don't think he is worth more then $8 million a year to the Spurs being 28 years old already, and fits more of a role to be the first big man off the bench for a contender. If he comes back for about 3 years/$12 million I think that will be fair unless he is solid in the playoffs and we have another late postseason run.

Obviously, some one doesn't know what any half-way decent big man goes for these days.

Richie
01-24-2013, 07:54 PM
What he eventually gets paid doesn't really matter. All that matters is his cap hold is only $7.5m so if we wanna pay him anything more than that we can wait til later in the summer and still go after free agents.

Mel_13
01-24-2013, 07:57 PM
What he eventually gets paid doesn't really matter. All that matters is his cap hold is only $7.5m so if we wanna pay him anything more than that we can wait til later in the summer and still go after free agents.

Not if he signs an offer sheet with another team. Then the Spurs have three days to decide whether or not to match.

Unless some team offers him max or near-max money, Tiago will be back.

pad300
01-24-2013, 08:00 PM

Sorry, not going to happen. Look at the cap analysis:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124967&page=66&p=6317389&viewfull=1#post6317389

Chinook
01-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Not if he signs an offer sheet with another team. Then the Spurs have three days to decide whether or not to match.

Unless some team offers him max or near-max money, Tiago will be back.

I think Richie (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=29995) is hoping that Splitter would come to the Spurs with the deal first, and they can "match" it then without actually letting him sign the offer sheet. Then they can finish their free-agent with only his cap hold on the books business and officially ink him afterwards. So long as the Splitter wants to stay and trusts the front office's word, then that could well happen, if they don't just agree to a deal without him actually going to other teams.

With that weird unofficial week before signings can actually begin, the Spurs have plenty of time to get their ducks in a row before they even have to worry about someone inking Splitter to an offer sheet.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
01-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Wait..what? Tony and Manu hang out together! Impossible! Their fans are sworn enemies.

therealtruth
01-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Maybe Pop realized the best chance of keeping Splitter was starting him.

Danny.Zhu
01-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Does that mean he has eventually forgiven CIA for not playing him for 2 years?

maverick1948
01-24-2013, 08:51 PM
4 years 36 mill 1st yr 8 mil with raises each year. 4th year team option.

Capt Bringdown
01-24-2013, 08:53 PM
I hope he stays. Parts of his game I'd like to see improved, but he's fun to watch & we're a better team when he's on the court. Best big man since the Admiral to play alongside TD?
What a pity he's been so foolishly bottled up prior to this year.

NRHector
01-24-2013, 08:54 PM
You mean "wants to be Canadian". Joseph is a real Canadian though.

he did get the canadian citizenship and I believed he wants to play with the canadian national team

Ditty
01-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Obviously, some one doesn't know what any half-way decent big man goes for these days.

Obviously Splitter isn't elite at anything or even that young. Would of been nice if he came over when the big 3 were in their primes. Do you expect the Spurs to have anyone close to there 30's to be apart of the rebuild project in a couple of years?

TheSkeptic
01-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Obviously Splitter isn't elite at anything or even that young. Would of been nice if he came over when the big 3 were in their primes. Do you expect the Spurs to have anyone close to there 30's to be apart of the rebuild project in a couple of years?

Think you might want to read up on the stats there. And the age thing is what makes him a bit of a flight-risk if the Spurs don't fork over the cash to be honest. $8-$10 mill is about where the offers are going to be if he keeps this up. The Spurs should let Neal walk if that's what it takes to re-sign him.

capek
01-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Blair!

Nobody eats with Blair. Any time you turn your head or go to the bathroom, food is missing off your plate whenever Blair's around.

Chinook
01-24-2013, 09:20 PM
Splitter's age shouldn't be a problem. It's perfectly reasonable to expect a big man to play at a high level until he's 32. That's as old as he'll be if he were to sign a maximum contract with another team in the off-season. The reason why his age may matter is because teams may not think he has much upside. But he doesn't need to show greater potential than he has alreadyl; he only needs to show consistency. He also needs to show greater durability, as he does have a bit of an injury history. I believe he's doing a good job at both of those aspects recently.

I could see a 3/25 deal being a good one for Splitter, as it should leave him enough time to get another big deal before his production starts to go down hill. If he plays as well as he has been recently, the Spurs may even try to offer him a five-year contract.

Brunodf
01-24-2013, 09:20 PM

PnR

cheguevara
01-24-2013, 09:22 PM

http://modchip.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/xbox-2.jpg

UN crew:
Manu, Tony, Diaw, Patty, Tiago

Gasta Wannabe Crew:
Jackson, Green, Blair

Loners:
Duncan
Kawhi

Sandwich Crew:
Bonner
Coyote

Strategic
01-24-2013, 09:32 PM
At first I thought Splitter wouldn't be too expensive to keep, but if he improves as much from now until the end of the year as he did from the first of this season up until this point, that may change. He may start out at 8 mil., but I think he will be closer to 10 per year the last couple years of a contract. If he does make said improvement whose to say he won't get it?

racm
01-24-2013, 09:33 PM

UN crew:

Gasta Wannabe Crew:
Jackson, Green, Blair

Loners:
Duncan
Kawhi

Sandwich Crew:
Bonner
Coyote

Nando (and Joseph + Baynes)?

RD2191
01-24-2013, 09:46 PM
lmfao @ sandwich crew

SpursIndonesia
01-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Asik's money seems correct, perhaps extended to 4th year. He's overall better than Asik right now, but a bit older and seems willing to give a slight hometown discount, so that money's quite fair IMHO.

HarlemHeat37
01-24-2013, 10:14 PM
I don't know if I'd say he's better than Asik, tbh..

Asik is terrible from an offensive standpoint, but he's arguably the best defensive player in the NBA..he's also a better rebounder than Tiago, IIRC..

Splitter will receive a similar contract though, especially since Asik has actually lived up to his contract, so far..elite pick&roll player, good rebounder, becoming better at finishing, good defensive player, mobile, good passer, intelligent player..those aren't skills you find in many bigs..

He still can't create his own offense on a consistent basis, and he's still soft at times, so any team that signs him should have a good pick&roll guard on the roster, along with a PF that can create for himself..

Splitter's value will ultimately depend on his playoff performance IMO..if he can continue improving and help the Spurs get the title(his performance is probably the x-factor IMO), I don't really give a fuck what happens with him after this season, tbh:lol..

itzsoweezee
01-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Tiago is absolutely going to be offered at least $10M per year by some team out there. Spurs are going to have to shell out to keep him around. He seems to be worth it though.

Ditty
01-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Think you might want to read up on the stats there. And the age thing is what makes him a bit of a flight-risk if the Spurs don't fork over the cash to be honest. $8-$10 mill is about where the offers are going to be if he keeps this up. The Spurs should let Neal walk if that's what it takes to re-sign him.

Well he has pretty good stats when it comes to getting his points off pick n rolls and garbage buckets but besides that he is above average defensively compared guys like Asik last year who had some elite talent defensively, and got $8 million from a Rockets team that was desperate for a big man. I'll wait until the playoffs to see if he worth it, if he average close to a double double and play good defense against a qulity big man then he might be worth it short term on a solid contract. Leonard and possibly Green and maybe Joseph are probably the only players that will probably be on this team in two years when we start to become a lottery team.

TDMVPDPOY
01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
splitter the modern day chris dudley...

Ditty
01-24-2013, 11:03 PM
PnR

Yeah that is a nice skill he has by being able to roll hard towards the rim, but besides that he is average at everything else. Ginobili will probably retire this year or next year, and De Colo might be able to work with Splitter but he is not a starter for a quality team in this league and Parker will possibly be gone himself as I don't see him apart of the rebuilding project in two years. Pretty sure we can find a big man in the draft in the next few years who will be younger and possess as good skills as Splitter.

Ditty
01-24-2013, 11:10 PM
I don't know if I'd say he's better than Asik, tbh..

Asik is terrible from an offensive standpoint, but he's arguably the best defensive player in the NBA..he's also a better rebounder than Tiago, IIRC..

Splitter will receive a similar contract though, especially since Asik has actually lived up to his contract, so far..elite pick&roll player, good rebounder, becoming better at finishing, good defensive player, mobile, good passer, intelligent player..those aren't skills you find in many bigs..

He still can't create his own offense on a consistent basis, and he's still soft at times, so any team that signs him should have a good pick&roll guard on the roster, along with a PF that can create for himself..

Splitter's value will ultimately depend on his playoff performance IMO..if he can continue improving and help the Spurs get the title(his performance is probably the x-factor IMO), I don't really give a fuck what happens with him after this season, tbh:lol..

+1 on the analysis of Splitter

Houston was desperate for a big man also, and Asik has elite skills as a defender.

Unless Spurs somehow sign, trade or draft another power forward which I don't see happening in the next 2 years I don't see how it makes sense giving Splitter more then $5 million a year. The last thing I want to see is paying a over 30 year old Tiago and Parker over $20 million combined in 3-4 years and getting the 8th seed every year and getting beat down by the Thunder :lol

td4mvp2k
01-24-2013, 11:26 PM

Blair!

Nobody eats with Blair. Any time you turn your head or go to the bathroom, food is missing off your plate whenever Blair's around.Isnt that Eddy Curry?

AFBlue
01-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Good stuff. I think this was in question last year when he was being used exclusively as Duncan's back-up, but now that he's being featured more prominently and getting more minutes it makes for a mutually beneficial situation.

Like others have said, barring an offer from another team in the $12-15M/yr range, he'll be in a Spurs uni for a while.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-25-2013, 12:11 AM
So who does Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard eat with? God, I'd feel terrible if it was room service by themselves.

PingPong
01-25-2013, 12:22 AM

Nando de Colo has a spanish(as splitter's wife) girlfriend and is french with portuguese origins. He is the one that fits better in the UN crew.

chapnis
01-25-2013, 12:27 AM
I think they 'United Nations' came together because they got along and liked each other, not because they wanted it to be the most diverse group of players...

Spursfanfromafar
01-25-2013, 12:29 AM

No way Splitter rejects free agency for 8 mill. It has to be atleast a $10 million per year contract considering the market value for big men in the league (see DeAndre Jordan, Javale McGee etc who have been signed recently after the new CBA).

Spursfanfromafar
01-25-2013, 12:35 AM
And while the Asik-Splitter comparison is legitimate to a certain extent; Asik played as a No 4 big with the Bulls on a minimum contract. He was great defensively for the Bulls paired with Gibson, but he was recognised only by the stat crunching Morey and given the poison pill contract. His "real" value came in only after playing as the No 1 big for Houston and kind of justified his contract now. Splitter on the other hand has been far more productive with the Spurs, has been the No 2 big after Duncan and despite limitations has an awesome game for a modern day NBA center. He most certainly would sell for more than $8 million in the current NBA market that privileges big men even with limitations (see McGee/ DeAndre Jordan/ Robin Lopez). The Spurs would certainly recognise that and get a $10 million * 4 contract, in my opinion. Not a case of overpaying in my opinion as Splitter would be in his prime for the next 4 years.

SpursIndonesia
01-25-2013, 02:15 AM
Yeah, 40 mil/4 years might be the fair market value for Splitter, but i think the Spurs can get away with around 36 mil/4 years offering, the money loss will be more than made up by being more happy playing for a contender and in great environment of likeable teammates. But i think Splitter will ask for non written, gentleman promise from the Spurs FO that he won't be traded unless with his approval/consent.

Mal
01-25-2013, 03:32 AM
The price will be around 32-40 mln / 4 years. He`s good, and good bigs are being paid well.

freetiago
01-25-2013, 03:34 AM
Of course he would say that if asked
hes a classy player
no one has ever said they want to leave
even a faggot like dwight coward still says he wants things to work out when we all know hes booking it first chance he gets

Richie
01-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Sorry, not going to happen. Look at the cap analysis:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124967&page=66&p=6317389&viewfull=1#post6317389

A fair analysis, there are just too many unknowns. For example, the salary cap could be over $60m as the Lakers just signed a $4bn TV deal with Time Warner. Furthermore, we could use our pick as a draft and stash, Manu could take a figure more like $5m and suddenly we've gone from having $5m to spend on a free agent to having $8m-$10m on one depending on the cap. Another option could be dumping Bonner on a team for our 2nd round pick, saving us $1m.

I personally think the most important thing is to get a quality big next to Tim and Splitter. While we all have hope for Baynes, odds are the guy won't be a major contributor. If we can find a way to scrape together $8-$10m for a player like David West it could be he difference between Tim having fresh legs in playoff time or not. Having a competitive front line without Duncan (as a West/Splitter combo would be imo) would allow us to give him more games rest and keep his body fresher when he does play.

Obviously the front office will have done the calculations more thoroughly and spoken to Manu about what kind of salary he is expecting. If they think we will only have MLE type cap space in the summer then it's all a fairly pointless conversation, but squeezing just a couple million more in cap room for a new big could be a difference maker.

Brazil
01-25-2013, 07:58 AM
but but I thought TP didn't like Manu and didn't want to pass him the ball

exstatic
01-25-2013, 08:22 AM

Toros crew, tbh

DMC
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
lol

DMC
01-25-2013, 10:24 AM

UN crew:

Gasta Wannabe Crew:
Jackson, Green, Blair

Loners:
Duncan
Kawhi

Sandwich Crew:
Bonner
Coyote
What is a gasta?

I. Hustle
01-25-2013, 10:46 AM
http://cdn2.mamapop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/argument-invalid-morgan-freeman.jpg

skin
01-25-2013, 01:03 PM
A 32-36 / 4 yrs deal seems good for for sides.

SenorSpur
01-26-2013, 04:45 PM
If we can find a way to scrape together $8-$10m for a player like David West it could be he difference between Tim having fresh legs in playoff time or not. Having a competitive front line without Duncan (as a West/Splitter combo would be imo) would allow us to give him more games rest and keep his body fresher when he does play.

First off, I'm certain David West will be looking for something a bit north of $8-10 mil, if he can get it.

Secondly, and this is something that has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, West is a black hole offensively, poor rebounder and defender. He's not someone that would be a seamless fit into the Spurs system.

Finally, the Spurs do not need to foolishly look to free agency to bolster their frontline. They can and should look to the draft - and I believe they will. A young, emerging player like either Patric Young (Florida) or Gourgui Deng (Louisville) would be far better options. Either of these young guys would instantly be defensive upgrades over anyone else the Spurs currently have on their frontline - not named Duncan and Splitter. Besides helping to bolster the Spurs frontline for the future, each would come relatively younger and cheaper, which would help maintain some semblance of financial stability. This is a fact that not lost on a front office as astute as the Spurs.

That said, I'm all for the Spurs securing Splitter for the future. I believe something in the realm of 4 yrs, 32-36 mil should do the trick. The trick is the Spurs will have to cut some corners somewhere to secure Splitter at that price.

Richie
01-26-2013, 07:30 PM
First off, I'm certain David West will be looking for something a bit north of $8-10 mil, if he can get it.

Secondly, and this is something that has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, West is a black hole offensively, poor rebounder and defender. He's not someone that would be a seamless fit into the Spurs system.

Finally, the Spurs do not need to foolishly look to free agency to bolster their frontline. They can and should look to the draft - and I believe they will. A young, emerging player like either Patric Young (Florida) or Gourgui Deng (Louisville) would be far better options. Either of these young guys would instantly be defensive upgrades over anyone else the Spurs currently have on their frontline - not named Duncan and Splitter. Besides helping to bolster the Spurs frontline for the future, each would come relatively younger and cheaper, which would help maintain some semblance of financial stability. This is a fact that not lost on a front office as astute as the Spurs.

That said, I'm all for the Spurs securing Splitter for the future. I believe something in the realm of 4 yrs, 32-36 mil should do the trick. The trick is the Spurs will have to cut some corners somewhere to secure Splitter at that price.

A couple point. First of all, I cant see how David West can command more than $10m. In 2008 when he was coming off a 21/9 season and signed for less than $10m. 2 years ago he signed for the Pacers for $20m/2yr after averaging 19/7.5. I doubt he'll be expecting to make a career high in earnings at 32 with declining stats.

Second, David West is an elite pick and pop player, the guy is one of the best mid range jump shooting big men in the game. Furthermore, the guy is a high IQ player. Byron Scott said he was one of the smartest players he has ever coached, that his BBIQ is "off the charts". Pop likes high IQ guys. Not to mention West is playing 34min/game for the best defensive team in the league, he can't be that bad a defender.

Lastly, Dieng isn't going to be on the board when we are drafting. And even if he is, what kind of minutes do you think Pop will give him? The whole point is to get someone who can play enough to sit Timmy outon back to backs and reduce his minutes when he does play. You think late first round rookie is going to impress Pop enough both offensivelyand defensively to get that kind of time? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Even if one of the guys you mentioned turns out to be a Hibbert, or even Deandre Jordan quality player in a couple years, who cares? Timmy and Manu will be retired and the championship window will be shut. Hibbert and Jordan only got 15min~ on bad teams as rookies, and you think we're gonna pick someone up who will be ready to step in and play 25min+ in the Spurs system with Pop? I'll be ecstatic if we can, but I doubt it.

Obstructed_View
01-26-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm not saying Byron Scott is wrong, but I've never seen that much indication that David West has a high basketball IQ. Okay, yeah, I'm saying Byron Scott is a moron. Sorry.

rascal
01-26-2013, 08:33 PM
He will stay. The spurs will bring back the entire team again next year.

AFBlue
01-26-2013, 09:06 PM
He will stay. The spurs will bring back the entire team again next year.

Can't be so definitive on either point tbh.

Splitter's likely value is in the 8-10M/yr range, but it only takes one team to look at Splitter as the #1 center available without the injury concerns or primadonna attitude. I could see a scenario where a team throws $12M/yr at him to be "the guy", and that would put the Spurs in a tough spot.

As for the other guys, Ginobili and Diaw are virtual locks to be back. Mills is close to a lock.

The two biggest questions outside of Splitter are Jax and Neal. I have no idea what their expectations or actual market value could be.

SenorSpur
01-26-2013, 09:14 PM
A couple point. First of all, I cant see how David West can command more than $10m. In 2008 when he was coming off a 21/9 season and signed for less than $10m. 2 years ago he signed for the Pacers for $20m/2yr after averaging 19/7.5. I doubt he'll be expecting to make a career high in earnings at 32 with declining stats.

Second, David West is an elite pick and pop player, the guy is one of the best mid range jump shooting big men in the game. Furthermore, the guy is a high IQ player. Byron Scott said he was one of the smartest players he has ever coached, that his BBIQ is "off the charts". Pop likes high IQ guys. Not to mention West is playing 34min/game for the best defensive team in the league, he can't be that bad a defender.

Lastly, Dieng isn't going to be on the board when we are drafting. And even if he is, what kind of minutes do you think Pop will give him? The whole point is to get someone who can play enough to sit Timmy outon back to backs and reduce his minutes when he does play. You think late first round rookie is going to impress Pop enough both offensivelyand defensively to get that kind of time? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Even if one of the guys you mentioned turns out to be a Hibbert, or even Deandre Jordan quality player in a couple years, who cares? Timmy and Manu will be retired and the championship window will be shut. Hibbert and Jordan only got 15min~ on bad teams as rookies, and you think we're gonna pick someone up who will be ready to step in and play 25min+ in the Spurs system with Pop? I'll be ecstatic if we can, but I doubt it.

The attributes you've described about West's game are very true. At the same time, the deficiencies I outlined in my post are also true. I don't care how effective West is in the pick-n-pop game, if Pop is serious about the Spurs being a better defefensive team, you don't accomplish that by adding another terrible defender. That said, even if the Spurs were interested, it's doubtful they'd be able to clear enough money to afford another 8-10 mil dollar contract, with Splitter's new contract being their first priority. Anyway, assuming the Spurs retain Splitter, they will not be in a position to afford signing a high-priced veteran in free agency. Besides, West isn't going to any team where he will be coming off the bench. Therefore, West is luxury player they likely cannot afford and one that doesn't really make sense.

The Spurs have proven time and again in their ability to fill out their roster via the draft and through reaonably-priced free agents. As for the draft, I'm not talking about a rookie big coming in an playing 25-30 mins a night. Again, if Splitter is retained, they will merely need someone to bolster the frontline depth on the roster. Besides, Pop isn't as down on rooks as you seem to think. Did anyone ever think Pop would integrate Leonard into the starting lineup as quickly as he did? Or how about Pop inserting a young Parker into the starting lineup a mere six games into his rookie season in 2001? That said, if either of the selections that I mentioned are available at the end of the round, the Spurs would be foolish to pass them up. Either one of them would be nice additions to bolster their frontline as a 5th big.

Richie
01-26-2013, 09:56 PM
The attributes you've described about West's game are very true. At the same time, the deficiencies I outlined in my post are also true. I don't care how effective West is in the pick-n-pop game, if Pop is serious about the Spurs being a better defefensive team, you don't accomplish that by adding another terrible defender. That said, even if the Spurs were interested, it's doubtful they'd be able to clear enough money to afford another 8-10 mil dollar contract, with Splitter's new contract being their first priority. Anyway, assuming the Spurs retain Splitter, they will not be in a position to afford signing a high-priced veteran in free agency. Besides, West isn't going to any team where he will be coming off the bench. Therefore, West is luxury player they likely cannot afford and one that doesn't really make sense.

While he isn't going to be winning any all defensive awards any time soon, David West is playing major minutes in the #1 defensive team in the league this year. He isn't amazing, but he isn't the terrible defender you make him out to be. If he can be part of a top defence next to Hibbet and George, he can be in a top defence next to Duncan and Leonard.

When it comes to the available salary, we'll have to see. The whole point of my post was that we just don't know what the salary cap will be, we don't know what salary Manu is willing to take etc... If the cap is $62m, we could have $15m to pay Manu and a free agent, leaving Jackson the room exception ($2.5m) after we've signed everyone. Splitters cap hold is only $7.5m so if he wants a big contract we can wait until after free agency assuming he helps out by not signing with another team in restricted free agency.

As others have pointed out, the cap could easily end up $60m or less, we'll draft a guy and keep him, we'll give Manu a bigger contract and then we'll have only the MLE left. As I said there are too many unknowns at this point, but we could end up with the cap room to make a move in free agency.

The Spurs have proven time and again in their ability to fill out their roster via the draft and through reaonably-priced free agents. As for the draft, I'm not talking about a rookie big coming in an playing 25-30 mins a night. Again, if Splitter is retained, they will merely need someone to bolster the frontline depth on the roster. Besides, Pop isn't as down on rooks as you seem to think. Did anyone ever think Pop would integrate Leonard into the starting lineup as quickly as he did? Or how about Pop inserting a young Parker into the starting lineup a mere six games into his rookie season in 2001? That said, if either of the selections that I mentioned are available at the end of the round, the Spurs would be foolish to pass them up. Either one of them would be nice additions to bolster their frontline as a 5th big.

A fifth big isn't going to let us rest Timmy more in the coming years. Of course Splitter is helping carry the load, but after him we are pretty poor up front. Blair will almost certainly be gone, and while I'm not a great fan of he or Bonner I can see their talent and how they help the team to win games. Hopefully Baynes will be at least equal to Blair, although that is certainly not a given, and a front line of Splitter/Diaw/Baynes/Rookie may be good enough to win a couple games but we will still be relying on Timmy a lot.

No doubt, I'd love the Spurs to draft Dieng, but even if we do I'm not expecting him to play. If Tiago only got 12min/game (whom Pop says was exactly the same player in his rookie season as he is now) I have little hope for any rookie big.

FireMicoHalili
01-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Isn't "I want to stay" the safest way to earn your dollars heading into free agency? It's good PR but at the same time makes other teams throw more money at you to lure you away. I haven't seen anyone say he didn't like to stay in the team unless he's soured on the idea of playing in that team.

SenorSpur
01-26-2013, 10:45 PM
While he isn't going to be winning any all defensive awards any time soon, David West is playing major minutes in the #1 defensive team in the league this year. He isn't amazing, but he isn't the terrible defender you make him out to be. If he can be part of a top defence next to Hibbet and George, he can be in a top defence next to Duncan and Leonard.

When it comes to the available salary, we'll have to see. The whole point of my post was that we just don't know what the salary cap will be, we don't know what salary Manu is willing to take etc... If the cap is $62m, we could have $15m to pay Manu and a free agent, leaving Jackson the room exception ($2.5m) after we've signed everyone. Splitters cap hold is only $7.5m so if he wants a big contract we can wait until after free agency assuming he helps out by not signing with another team in restricted free agency.

As others have pointed out, the cap could easily end up $60m or less, we'll draft a guy and keep him, we'll give Manu a bigger contract and then we'll have only the MLE left. As I said there are too many unknowns at this point, but we could end up with the cap room to make a move in free agency.

A fifth big isn't going to let us rest Timmy more in the coming years. Of course Splitter is helping carry the load, but after him we are pretty poor up front. Blair will almost certainly be gone, and while I'm not a great fan of he or Bonner I can see their talent and how they help the team to win games. Hopefully Baynes will be at least equal to Blair, although that is certainly not a given, and a front line of Splitter/Diaw/Baynes/Rookie may be good enough to win a couple games but we will still be relying on Timmy a lot.

No doubt, I'd love the Spurs to draft Dieng, but even if we do I'm not expecting him to play. If Tiago only got 12min/game (whom Pop says was exactly the same player in his rookie season as he is now) I have little hope for any rookie big.

Points taken. I totally agree with you in that Blair will likely be gone and Bonner will be on an expiring contract next year. I, too, am hopeful that Baynes can move up the rotation and become the 4th big. That leaves an open spot for a 5th big. Therefore having a young, cheap option in the pipeline would seem to be the way to go. That's really all I was getting at.

In what will certainly be a financial climate that will be more restrictive and punitive, I just don't think it wise to throw big money (double-digit millions) into any free agent this summer - especially one who is north of 30 years old - whether it be West or anyone else.

As for the summer priorities, I'm sure the big priority will be getting Splitter under contract. After that, who knows?

Obstructed_View
01-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Isn't "I want to stay" the safest way to earn your dollars heading into free agency? It's good PR but at the same time makes other teams throw more money at you to lure you away. I haven't seen anyone say he didn't like to stay in the team unless he's soured on the idea of playing in that team.

Good point. There's a long tradition of free agents using the Spurs as a ploy to get more money. About time a Spurs free agent decided to take advantage of that. :lol

Richie
01-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Points taken. I totally agree with you in that Blair will likely be gone and Bonner will be on an expiring contract next year. I, too, am hopeful that Baynes can move up the rotation and become the 4th big. That leaves an open spot for a 5th big. Therefore having a young, cheap option in the pipeline would seem to be the way to go. That's really all I was getting at.

In what will certainly be a financial climate that will be more restrictive and punitive, I just don't think it wise to throw big money (double-digit millions) into any free agent this summer - especially one who is north of 30 years old - whether it be West or anyone else.

As for the summer priorities, I'm sure the big priority will be getting Splitter under contract. After that, who knows?

Fair points about the luxury tax. I'm hoping Bonner will be waived to make way for a new big man, but knowing Pop this may be a pipe dream. I just feel the more help Timmy gets up front, the longer he can play. A new big man may be the difference between Timmy taking his 3rd year player option or not, or between having fresh legs in the playoffs or not.

It's a fair point about not throwing too much at an older player like West. I just feel Spurs need to be thinking extremely short term for Duncans last 2 years. After that we'll head in to the lottery to rebuild. While financial prudence is necessary, these next 2 years could be the last as a contender for a long time, gotta do whatever it takes to maximise that potential. Of course, Splitter is probably the #1 priority in that case.

spurraider21
01-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Splitter still needs to improve his back to the basket game tbh, if he wants to become the main big man post-Timmy. But he's an absolute must-resign

SpursIndonesia
01-26-2013, 10:58 PM
IMHO, the Spurs will give a fair contract for him (Asik's money), but they won't overpay, as simple as that. They have TP's prime years contract and TD's ending career contract to show him what kinda "sacrifices" have been done by the team leaders to keep the team intact and competitive.

SenorSpur
01-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Fair points about the luxury tax. I'm hoping Bonner will be waived to make way for a new big man, but knowing Pop this may be a pipe dream. I just feel the more help Timmy gets up front, the longer he can play. A new big man may be the difference between Timmy taking his 3rd year player option or not, or between having fresh legs in the playoffs or not.

It's a fair point about not throwing too much at an older player like West. I just feel Spurs need to be thinking extremely short term for Duncans last 2 years. After that we'll head in to the lottery to rebuild. While financial prudence is necessary, these next 2 years could be the last as a contender for a long time, gotta do whatever it takes to maximise that potential. Of course, Splitter is probably the #1 priority in that case.

Very true. Unfortunately, there's not many players willing to sign a 2-year contract. Any free agent signing would likely be an albatross around the Spurs rebuilding program, once Duncan retires.

That said, are you uncertain whether the Spurs can contend for Western Conference supremacy next year with a frontline of Duncan, Splitter, Baynes, Diaw - along with an unnamed player?

Richie
01-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Very true. Unfortunately, there's not many players willing to sign a 2-year contract. Any free agent signing would likely be an albatross around the Spurs rebuilding program, once Duncan retires.

That said, are you uncertain whether the Spurs can contend for Western Conference supremacy next year with a frontline of Duncan, Splitter, Baynes, Diaw - along with an unnamed player?

No doubt we can contend. My trepidation is the amount of work Duncan has to do with that front line. Not knowing how Baynes will turn out, it's perfectly plausible that he may have to carry a heavier load with that front line than he does this year. My goal with the West suggestion is to have a big man rotation that can compete without Timmy, so he can rest back to backs and play under 30 min/night.

I agree players likely won't sign 2 year contracts, but 3 years would be fine too. It would give us a big expiring to trade the year Timmy retires. Even a 4 year contract may not be a huge hindrance to our rebuilding, as we would have the expiring to trade in the second year. David West at $27m/3yr would be a good deal and give us a nice asset to be used in a trade in the 3rd year. That would give us a front line of Timmy/Splitter/West/Diaw/Baynes, and I think a rotation of Splitter/Baynes and West/Diaw could easily hold it's own in the regular season when Timmy needs games off.

It's not that I'm dead set on West, I just think he would be a good fit. I do think we have a great opportunity this summer with a number of quality free agent big men hitting the market, to squander it by effectively only having an MLE level salary to offer would be disappointing.

SenorSpur
01-26-2013, 11:23 PM
No doubt we can contend. My trepidation is the amount of work Duncan has to do with that front line. Not knowing how Baynes will turn out, it's perfectly plausible that he may have to carry a heavier load with that front line than he does this year. My goal with the West suggestion is to have a big man rotation that can compete without Timmy, so he can rest back to backs and play under 30 min/night.

I agree players likely won't sign 2 year contracts, but 3 years would be fine too. It would give us a big expiring to trade the year Timmy retires. Even a 4 year contract may not be a huge hindrance to our rebuilding, as we would have the expiring to trade in the second year. David West at $27m/3yr would be a good deal and give us a nice asset to be used in a trade in the 3rd year. That would give us a front line of Timmy/Splitter/West/Diaw/Baynes, and I think a rotation of Splitter/Baynes and West/Diaw could easily hold it's own in the regular season when Timmy needs games off.

It's not that I'm dead set on West, I just think he would be a good fit. I do think we have a great opportunity this summer with a number of quality free agent big men hitting the market, to squander it by effectively only having an MLE level salary to offer would be disappointing.

Valid concerns - all of them. As a matter of fact, I've got the same concerns with respect to Timmy's load for and have shared those thoughts in several posts in previous years. Thank God that Tiago has turned into player we all heard about before his arrival. As you've stated, I'm hopeful Baynes can become a workhouse and carry his share of the frontline load. Still, another player is needed to help alleviate Duncan's workload - particularly in the areas of rebounding, defense, shotblocking and post-scoring. I don't know who else would be available in free agency, but I also wouldn't rule out a young big either. Either way, I've got confidence the Spurs will make the right decision.

Richie
01-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Valid concerns - all of them. As a matter of fact, I've got the same concerns with respect to Timmy's load for and have shared those thoughts in several posts in previous years. Thank God that Tiago has turned into player we all heard about before his arrival. As you've stated, I'm hopeful Baynes can become a workhouse and carry his share of the frontline load. Still, another player is needed to help alleviate Duncan's workload - particularly in the areas of rebounding, defense, shotblocking and post-scoring. I don't know who else would be available in free agency, but I also wouldn't rule out a young big either. Either way, I've got confidence the Spurs will make the right decision.

Ruling out the 'big' free agents of Howard, Smith and Bynum who will all likely get max or near max contracts out of the Spurs price range, there are a few options. Millsap and Jefferson will both also probably be out of reach for the Spurs, so that leaves players like West, Kaman, Brand, JJ Hickson who could all be good additions to help Timmy. The fact that there are a number of bigger names on the market might help the Spurs out as other franchises chase Howard etc... we can chase the more realistic guys.

SenorSpur
01-26-2013, 11:58 PM
Ruling out the 'big' free agents of Howard, Smith and Bynum who will all likely get max or near max contracts out of the Spurs price range, there are a few options. Millsap and Jefferson will both also probably be out of reach for the Spurs, so that leaves players like West, Kaman, Brand, JJ Hickson who could all be good additions to help Timmy. The fact that there are a number of bigger names on the market might help the Spurs out as other franchises chase Howard etc... we can chase the more realistic guys.

Personally, I like Hickson and he would make the most sense. He's still young, plays both ends of the floor, has a nice baseline jumper and is active around the basket - and best of all he's a legit 6'9". Millsap is a bit undersized and Jefferson and Kaman are major defensive liabilities. Even though they're all accomplished offensive players, they just have too many warts for my taste. Guys like that scare me.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-27-2013, 07:38 PM
I really hope he stays now that he's integral to the team. A 4 year $36 mil deal would be great, although I reckon he'll end up getting closer to $10mil/yr.

BackHome
01-27-2013, 10:55 PM
The Spurs need to sign him they can't go with a new center it would take them to long to learn our system and get playing time. By that time Timmy career is over but going forward we sign Splitter and sign Bebe/Muscala/Dieng/or Carmichael in the first round. Then we bring over Hanga for SG and make a move on getting a good backup PG....we will also probably not sign Blair and SJ so adding another SF would be good.