PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Would Lakers Make The Playoffs With Jordan?

AussieFanKurt
01-25-2013, 04:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8880620

Skip pissing on Kobe

Juggity
01-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Stephen A can't stop worshipping at Kobe's church

Trill Clinton
01-25-2013, 04:51 PM
yes they would.

first time skip said something that made sense.

TE
01-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Stephen A. Smith got ethered in this "debate".

Juggity
01-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Skip is right most of the time honestly. He destroyed petulant Mark Cuban in that get-together a few months ago.

ambchang
01-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Unfair debate. Like asking could Einstein pass a high school physics exam in place of an a student.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Unfair debate. Like asking could Einstein pass a high school physics exam in place of an a student.

Actually that might make for a good debate. English wasn't his first language and supposedly he struggled with tests. Will tweet this suggestion to Skip.

Riddler
01-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Skip is right most of the time honestly. He destroyed petulant Mark Cuban in that get-together a few months ago.

:rollin :lmao

Riddler
01-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Cuban destroyed Skip that time btw

hv2jqFd2-qI

Reck
01-25-2013, 05:19 PM
No shit.

Not only would they get into the playoffs but would have a high chance at winning the 'ship.

ambchang
01-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Watched the clip and surprisingly, purely from a debate pov, Stephen a wo this. He brought up more points that are relevant instead of just doing that Jordan is the greates ever schtick. That said, he conceded that Jordan would lead them to the playoffs, and moved the goal post to whether they would ring.

The fact that Jordan led lesser casts, in a tumultuous situation, in a stronger league to the playoffs will help skip nail home the point. I was surprised Stephen a brought it up and skip didn't capitalize on it, which explains why both are known to have the worst takes in basketball, as neither knows what the hell they are talking about.

jimbo
01-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Didn't watch the clip, but Wizards Jordan definitely wouldn't be able to. Only fair to compare the TOSB Jordan vs TOSB Kobe. Younger Kobe would lead them to the playoffs. They're only a few games out, the difference could be Kobe having enough energy to play O and D.

Juggity
01-25-2013, 05:31 PM

hv2jqFd2-qI

I see Mark Cuban trying hard to beat Skip at his own game and not succeeding.

Raven
01-25-2013, 05:40 PM

hv2jqFd2-qI

:lol Never seen this one ..

DMC
01-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Well yeah unless you think Phil Jackson made that much of a difference. Mike played defense. Nash would play a Steve Kerr type role, just shoot when we tell you to, bring the ball up and run our offense.

I honestly think Nash is a bigger cancer than Kobe, believe it or not. That's saying a lot.

Reck
01-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Cuban most effieciently put Skip on the grill there. No arguements to be had.

Raven
01-25-2013, 05:46 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8880620

Skip pissing on Kobe

you see that's the kind of debate that i hate.. the fact is that not only a 34 years old Jordan would make that team a play off team, but also like 1000 other sgs would make that team a play off team. Always comparing Kobe to Jordan, even if the second always wins the debate, makes people think they are close, but the truth is, any guard that can knock the 3ball and give some D would make that team a playoff team.

HarlemHeat37
01-25-2013, 05:50 PM
I'll compare 2nd 3-peat Jordan to current Kobe and say yes, they would easily make the playoffs, but they wouldn't be a contender..

If you gave them both Jordan and Phil Jackson, then maybe, but I don't buy the argument that past-prime Jordan could take a non-playoff team with an abundance of flaws and transform them into a contender..

Prime Kobe would have the Lakers as the 4th-5th best team in the West, prime Jordan would have them as a contender(although not favorites)..

Spur_Fanatic
01-25-2013, 06:31 PM
I'll compare 2nd 3-peat Jordan to current Kobe and say yes, they would easily make the playoffs, but they wouldn't be a contender..

If you gave them both Jordan and Phil Jackson, then maybe, but I don't buy the argument that past-prime Jordan could take a non-playoff team with an abundance of flaws and transform them into a contender..

Prime Kobe would have the Lakers as the 4th-5th best team in the West, prime Jordan would have them as a contender(although not favorites)..

Agreed.

Josepatches_
01-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Even in 1998 at 36 Jordan still was the best player of the league hands down. Jordan at 36 >>>>> Kobe at 34

But the biggest advantage any Jordan's team would have Vs Kobe's teams is that everybody want to play for MJ while nobody give a shit for a selfish like Kobe.

With MJ playing for the Lakers instead of Kobe everybody would play at 100% and they would be a TEAM.

Ashy Larry
01-25-2013, 10:05 PM
naw. Mike will be 50 in February.

Clipper Nation
01-25-2013, 10:10 PM

hv2jqFd2-qI

I can't stand First Take but even I had to tune in for the first few shows after LeBron rang just to see Skip get shat on... that was classic :lol

scanry
01-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Even in 1998 at 36 Jordan still was the best player of the league hands down. Jordan at 36 >>>>> Kobe at 34

But the biggest advantage any Jordan's team would have Vs Kobe's teams is that everybody want to play for MJ while nobody give a shit for a selfish like Kobe.

With MJ playing for the Lakers instead of Kobe everybody would play at 100% and they would be a TEAM.

MJ was 34 entering the 1997-1998 regular season. He turned 35 before the 1998 playoffs.

What was impressive about that season was how hard MJ had to play in the first 30 - 35 games because Pippen was hurt. I love watching that 1998 championship video. That season cemented the GOAT status tbh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBL72YL3ZCU

TDMVPDPOY
01-25-2013, 10:50 PM
steve nash protecting his coach, the guy who gave him 2 mvps...

Brunodf
01-25-2013, 11:43 PM
They would be a lock to the finals if they had Tony Allen at SG tbh.

mavs>spurs
01-25-2013, 11:55 PM
LMAO at jordan not being a contender with this team..this lakers team is more talented than any team jordan ever had. Fucking ridiculous.

irishock
01-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Jordan could have put up 40 ppg if he played with Nash.

ElNono
01-25-2013, 11:57 PM
tbh, Jordan would've put that pussy Dwight on full blast by now...

Thebesteva
01-26-2013, 12:24 AM
Lakers would be a solid team if Kobe was in his prime. His stats might indicate that he is still an affective player, but that's the problem with facts. They sometimes hide the truth, Kobe's done and so is Pau.

Arcadian
01-26-2013, 12:28 AM
Comparison of 98 Jordan and 13 Kobe:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=bryanko01&y1=2013&p2=jordami01&y2=1998 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=bryanko01&y1=2013&p2=jordami01&y2=1998)

Both at .465 FGs...interesting. Very similar stats all around.

ElNono
01-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Comparison of 98 Jordan and 13 Kobe:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=bryanko01&y1=2013&p2=jordami01&y2=1998 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=bryanko01&y1=2013&p2=jordami01&y2=1998)

Both at .465 FGs...interesting. Very similar stats all around.

The glaring exceptions being 3PA and turnovers... MJ knew he wasn't shooting 3s all that well and basically stopped taking them... Kobe not at all...

As far as turnovers, Kirby has almost in half a season as MJ had all season long...

Thebesteva
01-26-2013, 02:19 AM
LMAO at jordan not being a contender with this team..this lakers team is more talented than any team jordan ever had. Fucking ridiculous.

Have you watched this Laker team? It's a bunch of super star NAMES that are past their prime, washed up. Even Howard, who was supposed to be the new franchise player is not half the player he was in Orlando.

TrainOfThought5
01-26-2013, 03:07 AM
Have you watched this Laker team? It's a bunch of super star NAMES that are past their prime, washed up. Even Howard, who was supposed to be the new franchise player is not half the player he was in Orlando.

Are you saying that Kobe doesnt have enough help, or needs more help, .................................................. ............................... just to make the playoffs?

Thebesteva
01-26-2013, 03:09 AM
Are you saying that Kobe doesnt have enough help, or needs more help, .................................................. ............................... just to make the playoffs?

I'm saying Kobe is one of those guys that no longer has 'it'. He is well past his day, he wasnt kidding when he said he wanted to retire in 2011 because of knee pain.

cheguevara
01-26-2013, 03:33 AM
wow I hope this is a joke thread

first of all Phil Jackson would have never ever retired before Jordan. 2nd, even if he did let's say for health reasons, MJ would have never allowed the hiring of Mike Dantoni, 3rd, Jordan's offcourt handling of his teammates would be so unbelievable ahead of Bean Bryant's that Dwight would have committed Seppuku already allowing lakers to sign another true HOF bigman, Gasol would have a tattoo on his face and would be mauling big niggas on the court, Nash would be staring for the west allstars and Metta Peace would be crossdressing in his offtime. Lakers would be no less than 4th in the NBA standings and would be hands down the favorites to win it all. :lmao at this fucking comparison

StrengthAndHonor
01-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Jordan has never had a situation quite like this. MJ played with a bunch of blue collared workers. No one whined and each players knows their specific roles. What I mean by that is, you won't see little Stevie Kerr taking more than 15 FGA like say Jodie Meeks who has the same role with the Lakers. Pippen wouldn't play like a first option wing taking wild threes and driving uncontrollably in the lane just like Artest. Rodman wouldn't pull a stat sheet and show the media why he only got 2 touches on the post.

There's a huge difference and mainly its the mentality of the team. Lakers players all believes scoring and sharing the ball is priority while that 98 Bulls all believed in one thing. Defense. Let Mike score most of the buckets and the key role players will chip in their usual 6 ,8, 12 and 18 pts and they're set but their priority was defense. I remeber Ron Harper who was a career (20 ppg scorer) before joining the Bulls sacrificing a lot of his game and focused tremendously on defense and setting up the triangle at times yet he never complained about touches. They all have one common goal and that was to stop the opposition first and allow the offense to naturally come from them. As a bonus, they also have a great coach who doesn't force their old legs to run with a new and faster breed of horses. Yeah that coach.

I think Jordan will not sugarcoat anything at that point of his career if he plays with a bunch of unorganized losers. He's not going to be as diplomatic as Kobe. He will probably storm the front office and force a personnel change. Steve Nash or Gasol would probably have a black eye right now for playing passive. Dwight Howard would definitely be crying by now. I remember how tough Jordan was on Kwame when they were both Wizards, calling Kwame a flaming you know what for dropping passes at practice. Dwight would get the same treatment. The only player who would get his respect in this team is Metta World Peace because Metta would seriously kick Jordan's ass.

Lakers will be a better team no doubt. Unlike Kobe, Jordan puts his teammates in line and he's a lot better in the shot selection area. Sometimes I watch Kobe and tell myself, wow this guy thinks he's still 18. He still makes a lot of mistakes a 17 year old veteran normally wouldn't make. 98 Jordan with this team would make the playoffs. Probably a 6th or 7th seed but they will be eliminated in the playoffs by OKC or the Clippers. Jordan is not going bring Dwight's springs back. He's not going to bring Jordan Hill from a season ending surgery. He's not going to prevent Nash, Gasol from injuries. Jordan's impact is worth a good 5-6 more wins in this team as it currently stands but thats about it.

Latarian Milton
01-26-2013, 08:51 PM
just take kobe off their squad and they can easily make the playoffs even w/o jordan.