PDA

View Full Version : the first face of country music....Jimmie Rodgers

Avante
01-26-2013, 03:46 AM
Yep, he grew up listening to local blacks singing their songs while working on the railroad. They were a huge influense on him. In the beginning country was just blues with a white guy singing instead of a black one. It did evolve.

A case can be made that The Carter Family were the first country artists but Jimmie Rodgers is the one known as..."The Father of Country Music". Yep, they knew each other.

Of course you could go with BHW and AHW. Meaning before Hank Williams and after Hank Williams. Who in my opinion will always be the greatest country singer of all time.

cjO_OK03UNY

_djXCWEhHKU&playnext=1&list=PLA4F8F082434D9CAC&feature=results_video

As good as it gets.

tcIgQWdWWag

These guys were great, but pretty much forgotten except for guys like me.

sQuQtBqNsCI

There was a whole flock of hillbillies from the Appalachians making a dent way back then, Dock Boggs, Clarence Ashley and Frank Hutchison making the most impact, kind of a blues/country/hillbillie mix.

Every fan of country/old time music has heard Hank Williams sing...Lovesick Blues. Well here's where he got it. The great Emmett Miller who performed in black face.

otNICva63mQ

Now toss in Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys, Ernest Tubb and Patsy Montana and you'd be hard pressed to find a better intro to early country.

AussieFanKurt
01-26-2013, 05:08 AM
aren't you a little too young to make out you know all this bullshit

Avante
01-31-2013, 01:21 AM
aren't you a little too young to make out you know all this bullshit

Dude, I have all those old recordings and books on the subject. Yes I know all that bullshit.

Anyone around from the Cival War? Don't we have those who know everything about it?

AussieFanKurt
01-31-2013, 01:24 AM
Dude, I have all those old recordings and books on the subject. Yes I know all that bullshit.

Anyone around from the Cival War? Don't we have those who know everything about it?

which war was the cival war?

can't spell, clearly under 10 years old

Avante
01-31-2013, 01:40 AM
which war was the cival war?

can't spell, clearly under 10 years old

Dude, now it's...spelling.....hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on man how stupid is that? You that hard up to bitch about something? Hell, forget the fact I can totally break down the history of country music, forget that...right?

AussieFanKurt
01-31-2013, 01:42 AM
Dude, now it's...spelling.....hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on man how stupid is that? You that hard up to bitch about something? Hell, forget the fact I can totally break down the history of country music, forget that...right?

oh cool, i dont care about history of country music, even a 6 year old can google that so i'll put you at about that age

Avante
01-31-2013, 01:52 AM
oh cool, i dont care about history of country music, even a 6 year old can google that so i'll put you at about that age

And I go Google shit that doesn't interest me, because.....?

Little man, I have all those old recordings. Tons of stuff, with the CD's ya get these little books about the artists/music....honest. I don't waste time on shit that doesn't interest me, do you?

AussieFanKurt
01-31-2013, 01:54 AM
when do you turn 7?

Avante
01-31-2013, 02:01 AM
when do you turn 7?

I can see what most your threads get little play.

Avante
01-31-2013, 02:34 AM
Here ya go little fella, it don't get more country than this.

qzSs_n9PZAo&feature=relmfu

The great Frank Hutchison.

UwdpBP9pldE

AussieFanKurt
01-31-2013, 02:36 AM
when do you turn 7?

Avante
01-31-2013, 02:39 AM
And how many 6 year olds know who The Skillet Lickers were?

Dude, even you can't be this fucking dense. What's so hard about..."hey a country music fan here"..? Yep, they do exist.

You familiar with Aussie...Dave Hole?

All us 6 year olds know about this guy.

4bIt58CHadY

He's covering an old Slim Harpo tune from the 50's. Damn at this rate think of what I'll know by 10, wow!

koriwhat
01-31-2013, 02:51 AM
where's david allan coe, the highway men, and waylon at?

koriwhat
01-31-2013, 02:54 AM
btw, i recently saw scott h. biram in SA a few weeks back. damn good show!

Avante
01-31-2013, 02:58 AM
where's david allan coe, the highway men, and waylon at?

I have Coe's "Peniteniary Blues" CD, I also have a demo he did, yep his first recordings. I think I have all his stuff.

I have a lot of Waylons stuff, his real early 1966 recordings are great, especially his House of the Rising Sun. My fav version of a tune done by many.

The Highwaymen rival The Million Dollar Quartet of..

Johnny Cash...gets around.
Carl Perkins
Elvis
Jerry Lee Lewis

But, they don't belong in a discussion about old country. Gotta go back to pre Hank Williams to talk old country.

Avante
01-31-2013, 03:00 AM
btw, i recently saw scott h. biram in SA a few weeks back. damn good show!

Familiar with....Ray Wylie Hubbard? I'm not too familiar with Biram.