PDA

View Full Version : Will Pop's illness/absence be a blessing in disguise?

silverblk mystix
01-26-2013, 07:36 AM
First of all- I hope Pop is alright and gets well soon, but could this be a blessing for the remainder of the season?

If Pop sees the games from another perspective and just watches which players are contributing, which players are not,etc...

Rotations, time-outs called or not called.etc...

I know coach Bud is still running Pop's system and pretty much sticking to Pop's orders - but could Pop gain something from watching from the sidelines?

What do you think?

scanry
01-26-2013, 07:56 AM
You do realize they watch tape right?

This team needs some one to stop Durant. I say double him and let the others beat us.

jjktkk
01-26-2013, 08:28 AM
What do you think?

You shouldn't start threads.

urunobili
01-26-2013, 08:41 AM

This team needs some one to stop Durant. I say double him and let the others beat us.

Nobody in the NBA stops Durant... I'd put Kawhi on Westbrook TBH

silverblk mystix
01-26-2013, 08:51 AM

Thanks for your input.

Obstructed_View
01-26-2013, 09:29 AM

+1

swaggerjackson
01-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Tony has shown he can do well on Westbrook. Kawhi is so good at denying the ball that I don't think he should be on Westbrook. Let Westbrook dominate the ball and make all the stupid mistakes he is known to make. Put Kawhi on Durant and hope that he deny Durant a few touches. If Durant gets the ball we know he is going to score. But I don't think shutting down Westbrook is the idea. I love it when he plays hero ball.

silverblk mystix
01-26-2013, 10:12 AM
What does Durant have to do with Pop's illness being a blessing in disguise?

scanry
01-26-2013, 11:10 AM
What does Durant have to do with Pop's illness being a blessing in disguise?

Cause the only team in our path to the finals is the Thunder.

The Spurs are a lot like the New England Patriots and this league like the NFL is looking for younger coaches.

Brunodf
01-26-2013, 11:13 AM

They did it last time, Ibaka scored 30 or something

silverblk mystix
01-26-2013, 11:27 AM

The Spurs are a lot like the New England Patriots and this league like the NFL is looking for younger coaches.

That is some worrisome overconfident thinking there....

How many times has it happened where someone thinks only this team stands in our way (example:Lakers) and then someone else (example:suns) beats the Spurs?

Too many times. The Spurs might not even have to face the Thunder for all we know.

I am just wondering if maybe Pop and the Spurs benefit as I don't recall Pop sitting out games with an illness in a long, long time. There was the occasional Pop is out for a game for personal reasons or just taking a breather or an ejection for a half a game - but I don't recall him missing a couple of games with illness and sometimes when you are under the weather and away from things...you get a new or different perspective on life, work, etc...

Just wondering if this little time away (in the middle of a season) might not give Pop something he can use later in the season.

jiggy_55
01-30-2013, 02:10 AM
Some people were laughing at the OP, but look at what Pop said:

“It’s an out of body sort of experience,” he said. “It’s very strange. In other ways, it was real interesting. It was actually, in some ways, pretty educational.”

I would say that Pop probably did notice a few things or learn a few things just from watching the game from a different perspective. Yes, they watch game tape and they analyze those videos for hours, but it's not the same as watching a live game from beginning to end. For him to say it was an educational experience, means he's seen things he might not notice while coaching on the floor.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/01/29/pop-returns-duncan-remains-questionable/

cheguevara
01-30-2013, 02:15 AM
good point. Pop watching his spurs on TV. new perspective. :tu

cheguevara
01-30-2013, 02:16 AM

not the same as watching game live.

TJastal
01-30-2013, 02:16 AM
Thanks for your input.

You should know by now that starting any thread about Lord Poppycock (no matter how tasteful or thoughtful) will generate knee jerk responses from the usual suspects.

:lol

cheguevara
01-30-2013, 02:19 AM

:lmao the west is wide open. Anybody who thinks otherwise is plain delusional

Cry Havoc
01-30-2013, 03:06 AM
:lmao the west is wide open. Anybody who thinks otherwise is plain delusional

If by "wide open" you mean "3", yes, it's wide open for the Clips, Spurs, or Thunderefs to win.

playblair
01-30-2013, 03:26 AM

“It’s an out of body sort of experience,” he said. “It’s very strange. In other ways, it was real interesting. It was actually, in some ways, pretty educational.”

I would say that Pop probably did notice a few things or learn a few things just from watching the game from a different perspective. Yes, they watch game tape and they analyze those videos for hours, but it's not the same as watching a live game from beginning to end. For him to say it was an educational experience, means he's seen things he might not notice while coaching on the floor.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/01/29/pop-returns-duncan-remains-questionable/

more blair pt .............

http://media.tumblr.com/6dc4add66377252f43cd1dd8ed35ec12/tumblr_inline_mhbej0w9M51r62k7o.gif

ThaBigFundamental21
01-30-2013, 04:47 AM
Nobody in the NBA stops Durant... I'd put Kawhi on Westbrook TBH

With the risk of being chastised, I really don't think that is a bad idea. I think Kawhi could completely shut down Westbrook. But who guards Durant? Manu? You can't stop him, but you can't let him drop 50 either. Who guards Martin?

silverblk mystix
01-30-2013, 05:24 AM
With the risk of being chastised, I really don't think that is a bad idea. I think Kawhi could completely shut down Westbrook. But who guards Durant? Manu? You can't stop him, but you can't let him drop 50 either. Who guards Martin?

It would be just as important to make sure the TEAM defense is at its peak - then Durant would be less effective - and it wouldn't just fall on one guy to be responsible for Durant or Westbrook.

silverblk mystix
01-30-2013, 05:25 AM

Sometimes people can't stand the truth.

TJastal
01-30-2013, 08:13 AM
I say yes it will be a blessing.

In the few games I've seen so far Bud seems to have a better feel for setting rotations and knowing which players need to be out on the floor at any particular time.. While Pop is a GREAT GM and has really done great work in the past few years addressing the teams' weaknesses, it seems like every year he finds some way to shoot the team in the foot at the worst time with stupid rotations decisions that make no sense... whether its keeping the wrong guys nailed to the bench (Splitter) and/or trying to force niche role players at best (like Bonner / Blair) into major roles. Like last season after acquiring Diaw which was a great move but then he waited at least a full month to finally work him into a starting role and by then the playoffs were just around the corner and the Diaw had basically no experience working with the starters. Just one example.

I do think its time for Pop to stay in the shadows as the puppetmaster behind the scenes while Bud takes over as the full-time coach. That's alot of responsibility on one man and Pop has been trying to cover both bases for far too long IMHO. The man is completely burned out, both mentally and spiritually.

jmard5
01-30-2013, 08:25 AM

Agree. Should they watched the tapes, those would still be the games Pop coached.

manufan10
01-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Tony has shown he can do well on Westbrook. Kawhi is so good at denying the ball that I don't think he should be on Westbrook. Let Westbrook dominate the ball and make all the stupid mistakes he is known to make. Put Kawhi on Durant and hope that he deny Durant a few touches. If Durant gets the ball we know he is going to score. But I don't think shutting down Westbrook is the idea. I love it when he plays hero ball.

I agree with this. The Spurs should focus on limiting Durant's touches as much as possible, and force Westbrick to play hero ball.

I say yes it will be a blessing.

In the few games I've seen so far Bud seems to have a better feel for setting rotations and knowing which players need to be out on the floor at any particular time.. While Pop is a GREAT GM and has really done great work in the past few years addressing the teams' weaknesses, it seems like every year he finds some way to shoot the team in the foot at the worst time with stupid rotations decisions that make no sense... whether its keeping the wrong guys nailed to the bench (Splitter) and/or trying to force niche role players at best (like Bonner / Blair) into major roles. Like last season after acquiring Diaw which was a great move but then he waited at least a full month to finally work him into a starting role and by then the playoffs were just around the corner and the Diaw had basically no experience working with the starters. Just one example.

I do think its time for Pop to stay in the shadows as the puppetmaster behind the scenes while Bud takes over as the full-time coach. That's alot of responsibility on one man and Pop has been trying to cover both bases for far too long IMHO. The man is completely burned out, both mentally and spiritually.

:lmao

manufan10
01-30-2013, 08:28 AM
First of all- I hope Pop is alright and gets well soon, but could this be a blessing for the remainder of the season?

If Pop sees the games from another perspective and just watches which players are contributing, which players are not,etc...

Rotations, time-outs called or not called.etc...

I know coach Bud is still running Pop's system and pretty much sticking to Pop's orders - but could Pop gain something from watching from the sidelines?

What do you think?

I actually agree with this. Watching a full game could definitely give Pop another perspective. He may have seen something differently that he might not have otherwise have seen.

TJastal
01-30-2013, 08:40 AM
I agree with this. The Spurs should focus on limiting Durant's touches as much as possible, and force Westbrick to play hero ball.

And here we have a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier. Classic knee-jerk response to a perfectly sound theory. Do you really think Pop is "sick" and bedridden, with a thermometer stuck in his mouth? Doubt it. Even Bonner made a snarky comment about him being sick. He's obviously just drained from trying to do two full time jobs going on 10 years now. I submit this is Bud's "audition" for the coaching job. An so far the results have been positive.

spurspokesman
01-30-2013, 09:09 AM
You should know by now that starting any thread about Lord Poppycock (no matter how tasteful or thoughtful) will generate knee jerk responses from the usual suspects.

:lol Exactly. Everyone is so superior around here lol.

manufan10
01-30-2013, 09:22 AM
And here we have a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier. Classic knee-jerk response to a perfectly sound theory. Do you really think Pop is "sick" and bedridden, with a thermometer stuck in his mouth? Doubt it. Even Bonner made a snarky comment about him being sick. He's obviously just drained from trying to do two full time jobs going on 10 years now. I submit this is Bud's "audition" for the coaching job. An so far the results have been positive.

:lol reading too much into the flu.

TJastal
01-30-2013, 09:45 AM
:lol reading too much into the flu.

:lol thinking a flu would keep Pop off the bench.

jjktkk
01-30-2013, 09:48 AM

Just educating the uninformed. BTW, have you decided to actually watch some Spurs games this year, instead of just reading the boxscore?

manufan10
01-30-2013, 09:50 AM
:lol thinking a flu would keep Pop off the bench.

No, it can't be something as simple as the flu. It's some elaborate plan that Pop has cooked up.

:lol CIA Pop

manufan10
01-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Just educating the uninformed. BTW, have you decided to actually watch some Spurs games this year, instead of just reading the boxscore?

Blake
01-30-2013, 09:53 AM
First of all- I hope Pop is alright and gets well soon

Why lie

TJastal
01-30-2013, 09:53 AM

I always watch spurs games when they are televised on ESPN, TNT, or NBATV.

Fabbs
01-30-2013, 09:54 AM

“It’s an out of body sort of experience,” he said. “It’s very strange. In other ways, it was real interesting. It was actually, in some ways, pretty educational.”[FONT=Arial]

Blake
01-30-2013, 09:58 AM

your knee jerked higher than anyone else's.

I bet you had to wipe the drool off the keyboard after you saw your opportunity to type 'poppycock'

TJastal
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
No, it can't be something as simple as the flu. It's some elaborate plan that Pop has cooked up.

:lol CIA Pop

What do you find so "elaborate" about Popovich stepping down to let Bud take over the coaching role? It's a move that's now overdue about 5 years. And don't you think it's odd he's suddenly MIA after hardly ever missing a game in his coaching career? Funny how you end your idiotic thought by making light of Pop's CIA nature, which by itself fits exactly with my theory.

Blake
01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
And don't you think it's odd he's suddenly MIA after hardly ever missing a game in his coaching career?

Lol.

Keep your grey job.

silverblk mystix
01-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Why lie

Why would you think/assume that I lie?

Your mistake.

jjktkk
01-30-2013, 10:09 AM
What do you find so "elaborate" about Popovich stepping down to let Bud take over the coaching role? It's a move that's now overdue about 5 years. And don't you think it's odd he's suddenly MIA after hardly ever missing a game in his coaching career? Funny how you end your idiotic thought by making light of Pop's CIA nature, which by itself fits exactly with my theory.

You make stupid seem so effortless.

Blake
01-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Why would you think/assume that I lie?

Your mistake.

Because you are the one that started the pop sucker thread where you ranted and melted yourself down to a sniveling pussy.

To the entertainment of many here, that was your grand mistake.

Fabbs
01-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Fake and schtikk are desperately trying to change the threads subject. :lol

TJastal
01-30-2013, 10:24 AM

The popsucker thread will be their golden goose forevermore, since Pop finally managed to win a few regular season championships and propel the spurs past the 1st round.

silverblk mystix
01-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Because you are the one that started the pop sucker thread where you ranted and melted yourself down to a sniveling pussy.

To the entertainment of many here, that was your grand mistake.

A stupid person would not realize that the Popsucker thread was accurate. Spurs did not win a title and Pop was one of the major reasons why.
A smart person would realize that Pop realized his mistake in not playing Splitter - and Pop did and has now corrected his stupid mistake.

A smart person would realize I was correct and would refrain from making stupid comments after it had been proven that I knew what I was talking about.

Other stupid posters that would agree with the likes of Schtiiickkk and Cuck would remain stupid anytime they agreed with Sctiiikkk and Cuck at their own peril

biskvito
01-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Maybe Pop said fuck this Stern league, I'm going to Hawai! And Duncan is trying to convince him to come back.

silverblk mystix
01-30-2013, 10:28 AM

What else can a Popsucker do when their stupidity is revealed?

manufan10
01-30-2013, 10:32 AM

The flu isn't some 24 hour bug. I was making fun of the CIA Pop, because you actually believe this is the case right now.

TJastal
01-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Maybe Pop said fuck this Stern league, I'm going to Hawai! And Duncan is trying to convince him to come back.

The popsuckers are all convinced he's bedridden with the flu. I mean, he even said so didn't he? Good gosh, he always tells it like it is...

jjktkk
01-30-2013, 10:43 AM

Flabbs and his two illegitmate sons enjoying their quarterly scat session on ST, per the usual. :wakeup

TJastal
01-30-2013, 11:04 AM
The flu isn't some 24 hour bug. I was making fun of the CIA Pop, because you actually believe this is the case right now.

Oh okay. That also explains why Bonner made those snarky remarks about Pop's strange and sudden hiatus.. err.. *cough* flu. Because we all know that Matty would neeeevvver be privy to any details in Pop's life.... err...

Blake
01-30-2013, 11:05 AM

Why would I be desperate to change the subject? if anything, I would answer yes to the OP question.

As when a star player goes down for a few games, it's good for the long run as it forces players/coaches to step up, find out what they are made of, bring out unknown potential, etc.

I think as mentioned, it has been good for Pop to sit back and get a fresh perspective on the team as well.

but these should be obvious things to even the casual sports fan.

I'd rather make fun of some of you for being backpedaling hypocrites. Much more enjoyable use of my message board time. :tu

Blake
01-30-2013, 11:08 AM
A stupid person would not realize that the Popsucker thread was accurate.

Then there must be an incredibly large number of stupid people.

I think you inaccurately assessed that as well.

TJastal
01-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Why would I be desperate to change the subject? if anything, I would answer yes to the OP question.

As when a star player goes down for a few games, it's good for the long run as it forces players/coaches to step up, find out what they are made of, bring out unknown potential, etc.

I think as mentioned, it has been good for Pop to sit back and get a fresh perspective on the team as well.

but these should be obvious things to even the casual sports fan.

I'd rather make fun of some of you for being backpedaling hypocrites. Much more enjoyable use of my message board time. :tu

So it follows that we can now expect more coaches to start doing this.....whether it's under the guise of "the flu" or some other ailment. It will be a league wide trend for the coach to take a week or two off every year. Maybe they'll put in a new word in the box score that'll read: <random coach> DNP: Perspective.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
:lol The posts speak for themselves tbh.

Blake
01-30-2013, 11:28 AM
The popsuckers are all convinced he's bedridden with the flu. I mean, he even said so didn't he? Good gosh, he always tells it like it is...

:lol :lol :lol ”faking the flu” conspiracy

jjktkk
01-30-2013, 11:29 AM
So it follows that we can now expect more coaches to start doing this.....whether it's under the guise of "the flu" or some other ailment. It will be a league wide trend for the coach to take a week or two off every year. Maybe they'll put in a new word in the box score that'll read: <random coach> DNP: Perspective.

If you really followed the Spurs, You would now by now that Pop doesn't follow trends of other head coaches. Did you know Pop is considered one of best coaches in the NBA, and the Spurs organization, as a whole, is considered one of the best run franchises in all of pro sports? Or that the Spurs are a NBA professional basketball team located in San Antonio Texas? Although I'm no expert, I can pm you some more Spur's related info, to get you up to speed with the rest of Spur's fans on here if you like.

Blake
01-30-2013, 11:45 AM

So you disagree with the OP? Are you now prepared to call out Silverblk Mystix for joining Team Popsucker?

Personally, I think more coaches getting a DNC: GM's decision here and there would not be a bad idea for their team. 82 games is obviously a tough grind, especially for older coaches.

TJastal
01-30-2013, 11:46 AM
If you really followed the Spurs, You would now by now that Pop doesn't follow trends of other head coaches. Did you know Pop is considered one of best coaches in the NBA, and the Spurs organization, as a whole, is considered one of the best run franchises in all of pro sports? Or that the Spurs are a NBA professional basketball team located in San Antonio Texas? Although I'm no expert, I can pm you some more Spur's related info, to get you up to speed with the rest of Spur's fans on here if you like.

Okay schtickk I know its early yet and you probably haven't properly medicated yet... but that's not what I meant. I was halfheartedly surmising that other coaches around the league were all gonna start copying Pop's new coaching philosophy. And I realize the spurs have been very successful over the years and Popovich has had a large part in that. But he's been doing two jobs now for over 10 years. Which is a long time to carry that much burden. Might be time to step back and take a lesser workload.

Spur|n|Austin
01-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Sometimes people can't stand the truth.

It has nothing to do with people not standing the truth; your OP proposed no statement of validity, it simply asked us if we thought it was a blessing in disguise. I for once agree with you, especially after hearing Pop's practice interview yesterday. I wouldn't call it a blessing in disguise, but I do think it was "enlightening" as he put it, to watch your team from the couch live. I personally don't even remember the last time Pop missed multiple games like that.

TJastal
01-30-2013, 11:54 AM
So you disagree with the OP? Are you now prepared to call out Silverblk Mystix for joining Team Popsucker?

Personally, I think more coaches getting a DNC: GM's decision here and there would not be a bad idea for their team. 82 games is obviously a tough grind, especially for older coaches.

Personally, I think Popovich is tired of working 60+ hour work weeks, getting shit on by the commissioner, yelling till his voice is hoarse, having fans and writers daring to question his decisions.... I think this whole "perspective" thing was him contemplating stepping down a notch.

TJastal
01-30-2013, 11:59 AM
It has nothing to do with people not standing the truth; your OP proposed no statement of validity, it simply asked us if we thought it was a blessing in disguise. I for once agree with you, especially after hearing Pop's practice interview yesterday. I wouldn't call it a blessing in disguise, but I do think it was "enlightening" as he put it, to watch your team from the couch live. I personally don't even remember the last time Pop missed multiple games like that.

I can see TNT getting in on this action and MIC'ing up the coaches taking the night off on their couches at home... can you imagine the hilarity that would ensue? :rollin

silverblk mystix
01-30-2013, 12:00 PM

So you agree with me. Ok.

Spur|n|Austin
01-30-2013, 12:02 PM
I can see TNT getting in on this action and MIC'ing up the coaches taking the night off on their couches at home... can you imagine the hilarity that would ensue? :rollin

:lol Well I think Pop would draw the line somewhere, I'm sure he hates being mic'd up enough as it is, but yeah I would almost pay to hear that.

So you agree with me. Ok.

Do people outside of the internet hate you as much as they do here? Serious question, I'm curious.

silverblk mystix
01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
:lol Well I think Pop would draw the line somewhere, I'm sure he hates being mic'd up enough as it is, but yeah I would almost pay to hear that.

Do people outside of the internet hate you as much as they do here? Serious question, I'm curious.

With a few strokes of my keyboard I got you to tell the world you hate me. I think I might go celebrate. Thanks!!!!

Spur|n|Austin
01-30-2013, 12:21 PM
With a few strokes of my keyboard I got you to tell the world you hate me. I think I might go celebrate. Thanks!!!!

Re-read the sentence, nowhere does it say I hate you. I don't hate anybody, it's a strong word. I do think you're kind of a joke thought :tu

Blake
01-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Personally, I think Popovich is tired of working 60+ hour work weeks, getting shit on by the commissioner, yelling till his voice is hoarse, having fans and writers daring to question his decisions.... I think this whole "perspective" thing was him contemplating stepping down a notch.

So his going home sick after showing up to the arena was nothing more than a pre-meditated lie.

That's a fascinating theory.

Tell more about it, please.

Blake
01-30-2013, 12:38 PM

You really feel like the whole literal world reads your posts, don't you.

silverblk mystix
01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
You really feel like the whole literal world reads your posts, don't you.

You did, apparently...

Budkin
01-30-2013, 12:49 PM
They did it last time, Ibaka scored 30 or something

Ibaka turns into Reggie Miller against us.

Blake
01-30-2013, 01:36 PM
You did, apparently...

Nah, not really.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Groupthink delusions.

superbigtime
01-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Does Pop have a Doctor's note for Stern?

It's great that the team is doing well with Bud, especially with missing Tim but there have been some mistakes with the team not keeping the pedal down in the 4th, and playing Splitter which is the best thing he can do is also an obvious move. But you gotta give Bud credit. Hopefully this break has at least solidified more PT for Tiago.

DJR210
01-30-2013, 08:31 PM
I am seriously going to be very amused if Pop ups the ante with the League by "resting" himself hours before the All-Star game begins..