PDA

View Full Version : Tiago Splitter v Tyson Chandler

Tuddy
01-26-2013, 08:24 AM
Both good Pick n Roll players at both ends. Chandler is a better rebounder, shotblocker and is more athletic. Splitter has better footwork, vision and has more variety in his finishing. Who would you rather?

KL2
01-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Tyson 10 times out of 10, can you imagine a combo of him and Duncan shutting down the paint? No team would stand a chance against the Spurs, it'd be like TD-DRob lite. Splitter is a nice player to have but Chandler's defense is on a whole other level, he'd instantly transform the Spurs' defense into the best in the NBA and maybe one of the best defenses in franchise history.

I haven't seen Chander really play much since he was with Dallas so I'm assuming he's still playing at a high level defensively.

Richie
01-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Assuming similar salaries, I'd take Chandler all day long.

Chandler at $14m vs Splitter at $8m would be a tougher decision though. Probably still go for Chandler, defence wins championships and Chandler has shown the ability to anchor a championship defence.

biskvito
01-26-2013, 08:47 AM
weird comparison, Chandler is the typical NBA guy, athletic, plays above the rim, rebounds... Splitter is still finding his place

racm
01-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Chandler gets you extra possessions by tipping out offensive rebounds. While Splitter isn't bad at offensive rebounding himself, he doesn't do that too often and more often goes for the putback (or, given the Spurs' aversion to offensive rebounds, get back on defense)

Brazil
01-26-2013, 09:02 AM
:lol really ?

SpursIndonesia
01-26-2013, 09:38 AM
If you have the money, Chandler all the way. But if you can slice 14 mil for Splitter + MLE level player, for money challenged small market team like the Spurs, that might be the choice they would have taken.

Obstructed_View
01-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Splitter when he plays more than 30 minutes this year: 18 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, on 80% shooting from the floor. For a guy making ten million a year less than Chandler, who's only been starting regularly for a month, I'm pretty fucking happy with him.

8FOR!3
01-26-2013, 10:07 AM
The shotblocking and athletic abilities that Tyson Chandler have push him over the edge, but they're both upper tier big guys.

Richie
01-26-2013, 10:22 AM
The shotblocking and athletic abilities that Tyson Chandler have push him over the edge, but they're both upper tier big guys.

Splitter doesn't rebound or block enough shots be be considered an upper tier big man IMO. I'd put him just below them though.

Brunodf
01-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Splitter is cheaper and is better on the offensive end

Darkwaters
01-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Assuming equal salaries I'd go with Chandler all day long.

Still love Splitter though. Hes such a nice piece on this team.

JRHernandez88
01-26-2013, 12:34 PM
LOL Tiago is my guy but I'd go with Chandler. Tiago can get his own shot tho... :clap

Blake
01-26-2013, 12:45 PM
It's threads like these that started the lol gnsf craze.

timvp
01-26-2013, 01:28 PM
:facepalm

DesertSpur50
01-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Tiago Splitter
Per 36 Minutes

Season
Lg
Pos
G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

2012-13
SAS
NBA
PF

Tyson Chandler
Per 36 Minutes

Season
Lg
Pos
G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

2012-13 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/chandty01/gamelog/2013/)
NYK (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/NYK/2013.html)
NBA (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2013.html)
C

I think it's pretty close. I can see cases for both of them. To me Tyson Chandlers defense is a little overrated (at least what I've seen from him) and Tiago's D is continuing to improve, but still not as good as Chandler's. I'll go with Tiago this time around because I've seen his more of his game than Chandler's .

EDIT: This didn't come out right, I'll try and fix it. If anyone can post this better feel free to do so. This isn't going too well for me:(
EDIT 2:As soon as I got it done my internet goes down and have to start from scratch, fuck me
EDIT 3: Ok, finally got it. Although its not the way I wanted it but whatever.

Richie
01-26-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm shocked Chander is only a 1bpg player. Expecting him to be putting up 2+.

Still gotta see more rebounding from Splitter before it even becomes a discussion.

Juggity
01-26-2013, 04:05 PM
For now it's TC due to height advantage, athleticism and defense, but TS in the last 10 games or so has taken a huge leap forward.

It's definitely a lot closer than it has been at any point in Splitter's NBA career.

therealtruth
01-26-2013, 05:04 PM
There was a point last season where Splitter was in God mode around RRT. I am not sure if he's got there yet this season.

cd98
01-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Chandler is overrated. Splitter is underrated. I still think Chandler is better. But it's not as much of a blowout as you would think.

SanDiegoSpursFan
01-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Chandler

Obstructed_View
01-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Chandler must have Timmy's stat guy because his blocks per game don't look all that amazing tbh.

DPG21920
01-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Chandler, while a great defender, has never been an elite shot blocker.

ffadicted
01-26-2013, 06:16 PM
@OP:

http://4funz.com/Funny-Pictures/animals/cats/img-time-to-stop-posting-98

ffadicted
01-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Holy shit it's actually 21 - 15... what is the average bball IQ in this forum these days lol

Tuddy
01-26-2013, 07:03 PM
I think it's pretty close tbh. Splitter can guard 4's and 5's also and you can pretty much ignore Chandler on D unless he catches it right at the rim.

Proxy
01-26-2013, 07:05 PM
:lolfootwork
:lolvariety

Tuddy
01-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Probably still just go with TC.

Em-City
01-26-2013, 07:11 PM
anyone who said splitter should automatically be pinked.

Brunodf
01-26-2013, 07:25 PM
anyone who said splitter should automatically be pinked.

Why? He is 10 millions cheaper, better on O, much faster, can guard the PnR.

pgardn
01-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Chandler period.

Shot altering rebounding team player. The Knicks lose Chandler and they become ordinary.

I do love the way Tiago is slowly adding to his game though. Steady improvement except at the FT line which is massive improvement.

Obstructed_View
01-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Spurs are winning at like a 90% clip with Duncan, Splitter and Leonard on the front line. Not sure how so many of you automatically knee-jerk for Chandler.

benefactor
01-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Holy shit it's actually 21 - 15... what is the average bball IQ in this forum these days lol
This newest batch of greys seems to have shared the spray paint can with TDMVPDPOY one too many times.

chapnis
01-26-2013, 07:43 PM
On the Spurs team with our system and offense it's closer. With Tim being an elite big it makes Tiagos lack of shot blocking and rebound less noticable on this team. I think both players would contribute about equally on this team, but given an average team with a generic offense Chandler would do better than Tiago.

If we could straight up trade Splitter for Chandler now I wouldn't do it (chemistry, etc) but Chandler is still a better playing than Tiago at this stage.

pgardn
01-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Spurs are winning at like a 90% clip with Duncan, Splitter and Leonard on the front line. Not sure how so many of you automatically knee-jerk for Chandler.

Playoffs...

Chandler will not disappear.

In fact he is much more likely to dominate in important areas.

TheSkeptic
01-26-2013, 07:48 PM
It's a testament to Splitter that I actually thought for a moment about this one. The stats posted earlier in this thread are also very interesting.

But you have to go for the the smart and athletic rebounding shotblocker with proven championship experience. Chandler for me.

This could change for me though depending on what happens this season and in the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
01-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Playoffs...

Chandler will not disappear.

In fact he is much more likely to dominate in important areas.

Pretty fucking bold statement for a guy who's averaged 8 points and 7 rebounds in the playoffs over his career and has been out of the first round twice.

I seem to recall Splitter being the best Spurs player in the Grizzlies series, despite no time with the starting unit and no cohesion with anyone.

pgardn
01-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Pretty fucking bold statement for a guy who's averaged 8 points and 7 rebounds in the playoffs over his career and has been out of the first round twice.

I seem to recall Splitter being the best Spurs player in the Grizzlies series, despite no time with the starting unit and no cohesion with anyone.
No way Dallas wins without him.
Knicks done without him.

I personally step away from the numbers with Chandler just like I do with Amare for the opposite reason.

Obstructed_View
01-26-2013, 08:06 PM
No way Dallas wins without him.
Knicks done without him.

I personally step away from the numbers with Chandler just like I do with Amare for the opposite reason.

I'm with you on both of those statments, and what he provides beyond the numbers has value. Some guys are pointing to his stats as though it's a joke to mention both of them in the same breath, when that's just not so.

Credit where it's due: he was beyond great for Dallas. Further, he was an emotional force and was a leader on a team of followers.

Reality check: It's the one and only time he's been a factor in the postseason, and his numbers weren't all that amazing.

As many have mentioned, it's pretty shocking that there's even a discussion about this. At this time last year Splitter was fighting for the backup power forward spot.

pgardn
01-26-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm with you on both of those statments, and what he provides beyond the numbers has value. Some guys are pointing to his stats as though it's a joke to mention both of them in the same breath, when that's just not so.

Credit where it's due: he was beyond great for Dallas. Further, he was an emotional force and was a leader on a team of followers.

Reality check: It's the one and only time he's been a factor in the postseason, and his numbers weren't all that amazing.

As many have mentioned, it's pretty shocking that there's even a discussion about this. At this time last year Splitter was fighting for the backup power forward spot.
Totally agree with last sentence. Splitter is becoming enjoyable to watch. Many fewer palm prints on my forehead with Tiago around the rim from the first dozen times he started next to Tim. And now he looks comfy and aggressive w/out Tim... Amazing. Please no jinx...

rascal
01-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Chandler is a big reason why the Knicks are having a good year and he destroyed the spurs in their two meetings getting easy uncontested dunks on ally oop passes. Where was Splitter in those two games against the knicks ? Splitter is barely a worthy starting center and I am not counting on him to come up big against the top teams in the playoffs, look for this guy to fold under the pressure.

Brunodf
01-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Chandler is a big reason why the Knicks are having a good year and he destroyed the spurs in their two meetings getting easy uncontested dunks on ally oop passes. Where was Splitter in those two games against the knicks ? Splitter is barely a worthy starting center and I am not counting on him to come up big against the top teams in the playoffs, look for this guy to fold under the pressure.

Who scored 13 of 14 spurs 4th quarter points against NYK before being benched?

TheSkeptic
01-26-2013, 08:33 PM

And here is the other extreme. When a guy is putting up a PER of over 20 as a starter, it's a little bit ridiculous to make statements like the bolded imo. Splitter's obviously not at David Robinson's level, but he's still a good player and according to the numbers it looks like he's the 4th most productive player on our team.

pgardn
01-26-2013, 08:34 PM
I think the hesitation is partially due to the understanding developing between Parker and Splitter. You just don't want to give a guy who is meshing for a new face, but... Start from scratch, Chandler.

jimbo
01-26-2013, 08:35 PM

:lol

BNSF with the bad takes

rascal
01-26-2013, 08:35 PM
And here is the other extreme. When a guy is putting up a PER of over 20 as a starter, it's a little bit ridiculous to make statements like the bolded imo. Splitter's obviously not at David Robinson's level, but he's still a good player and according to the numbers it looks like he's the 4th most productive player on our team.

I pay no attention to PER, it is a nonsense stat as far as I'm concerned.

baseline bum
01-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Whose troll is the op? This fucking thread is hilarious!

baseline bum
01-26-2013, 08:44 PM
How come no Kawhi Leonard vs Durant thread? Or 2010 Dejuan Blair vs 1993 Charles Barkley?

rascal
01-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Who scored 13 of 14 spurs 4th quarter points against NYK before being benched?

Garbage time points during a blowout.

Game blog: Splitter scored his first two points of the game on 2 free throws with 8:23 left in the 3rd.
Splitter has to get more involved offensively to prevent the Spurs from playing 4 on 5.

Brunodf
01-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Garbage time points during a blowout.

Game blog: Splitter scored his first two points of the game on 2 free throws with 8:23 left in the 3rd.
Splitter has to get more involved offensively to prevent the Spurs from playing 4 on 5.

Wut? Spurs had the lead, when Splitter was benched NYK made a run and won the game

Obstructed_View
01-26-2013, 09:01 PM
How come no Kawhi Leonard vs Durant thread? Or 2010 Dejuan Blair vs 1993 Charles Barkley?

:lol comparing Tyson Chandler to Kevin Durant and Charles Barkley. You're your own troll tbh.

TheSkeptic
01-26-2013, 09:03 PM
I pay no attention to PER, it is a nonsense stat as far as I'm concerned.

It's not just PER that Splitter does well on rascal. WS, WS/48, ORTG, DRTG, eFG%, TS%, Synergy, etc. All the stats except for TRB% suggest that Splitter's holding his own against NBA starters. The collective numbers show that he's been our 4th most productive player. I don't have a problem with people who don't think he's an all-star or whatever and even in this thread I said that I'd take Chandler.

But to suggest that Splitter's not a good starter is just not in line with reality.

rascal
01-26-2013, 10:33 PM
:lol

BNSF with the bad takes

BNSF What does the N stand for?

rascal
01-26-2013, 10:35 PM
It's not just PER that Splitter does well on rascal. WS, WS/48, ORTG, DRTG, eFG%, TS%, Synergy, etc. All the stats except for TRB% suggest that Splitter's holding his own against NBA starters. The collective numbers show that he's been our 4th most productive player. I don't have a problem with people who don't think he's an all-star or whatever and even in this thread I said that I'd take Chandler.

But to suggest that Splitter's not a good starter is just not in line with reality.

Splitter was over hyped when he came to the Spurs and some are still over hyping him.

ElNono
01-26-2013, 10:50 PM
http://fim.413chan.net/mlp/src/132279646828-The_fuck.jpg

Obstructed_View
01-26-2013, 10:51 PM
I pay no attention to logic, reality, regular statistics, advanced statistics, winning percentage, game results, what happens on the floor, or rational arguments, it is nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

TheSkeptic
01-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Splitter was over hyped when he came to the Spurs and some are still over hyping him.

Most people here have already said that they'd take Chandler over Splitter. It's more like you are underrating him to the point where you're not making sense.

Splitter still has areas where he needs to improve and there are other players we'd rather have. That doesn't mean he's not a good player. He's a quality big who keeps getting better. And even though we have complaints about him and feel there are certain areas he needs to grow in, he's still been our 4th most productive player. It is what it is.

capek
01-26-2013, 11:02 PM
You always gotta go with the elite defense. This team would be sick with Chandler. That being said, this thought experiment doesn't really interest me. We've got a great player in Splitter, and I'm excited to see what he'll do in the playoffs this year now that he's playing so well.

rascal
01-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Most people here have already said that they'd take Chandler over Splitter. It's more like you are underrating him to the point where you're not making sense.

Splitter still has areas where he needs to improve and there are other players we'd rather have. That doesn't mean he's not a good player. He's a quality big who just keeps getting better. Right now we just have to live with the growing pains.

Would 35% of regular NBA fans outside of Spur fans pick Splitter?

Brunodf
01-26-2013, 11:11 PM

Bad argument there, less than 35% of regular NBA fans would pick TP over Westbrick, so by that logic, Parker is overhyped

rascal
01-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Bad argument there, less than 35% of regular NBA fans would pick TP over Westbrick, so by that logic, Parker is overhyped

? I don't get it.

Obstructed_View
01-26-2013, 11:17 PM

The overwhelming majority of regular NBA fans thought two guys from a terrible team should start the all star game. The average NBA fan is stupider than you are tbh.

rascal
01-26-2013, 11:18 PM
The overwhelming majority of regular NBA fans thought two guys from a terrible team should start the all star game. The average NBA fan is stupider than you are tbh.

Who are those two guys?

Slutter McGee
01-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Whose troll is the op? This fucking thread is hilarious!

Yes, I agree. Hypotheticals that in no way will or could happen have no place in serious basketball discussion. Comparing Lebron to Kobe to Jordan.. well that is for weak minded new loser members. Seriously, lighten up. There is only so much to talk about with entering ridiculous hypothetical territory.

Slutter McGee

Brunodf
01-26-2013, 11:21 PM
? I don't get it.

Regular Nba fans are dumb, that's the point, just look at Kobe/Howard/Garnett in the ASG

TheSkeptic
01-26-2013, 11:35 PM

Did you see the stats posted earlier in this thread? It's not like people are being asked to choose between Bonner and Lebron James.

The Spurs fans who didn't pick Chandler are probably thinking in terms of upside, team chemistry, and offensive output because the defense is already elite with Splitter. Those stats listed earlier show that they produce at a similar rate with Chandler rebounding more and Tiago scoring more while having a slight edge in assists, blocks, and steals.

Besides that, the average fan hasn't paid attention to Splitter's game and doesn't bother looking at the advanced stats and numbers. So of course they'd all go for Chandler. They go for names they recognize.

mercos
01-27-2013, 01:48 AM
Now that Splitter is starting, his stats are very close to Chandler's. However, Splitter is helped tremendously by the team around him. I think Chandler's scoring would be higher on the Spurs. Imagine him in the pick and roll with Parker and Ginobili. Chandler also has better defense. Right now, I'd probably go with Chandler, though its a lot closer this year than it was last year.

Raven
01-27-2013, 03:38 AM
not a fair comparison tbh.. glad he's slowly getting those though..

hater
01-27-2013, 04:48 AM
Lol spursfan finds a new low

SpursIndonesia
01-27-2013, 06:41 AM

lol, the majority of NBA fans are outraged with TP's selection for AS game over Curry, why do you think they'll be good judges over low key talent on below radar team Spurs like Splitter ?? :lol

Baynes
01-27-2013, 10:56 AM
naaaaaaaaah. Chandler is not comparable with Splitter.

give Tiago 1-2 years more and when he's already averaging 15-10, then lets talk again.

rascal
01-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Regular Nba fans are dumb, that's the point, just look at Kobe/Howard/Garnett in the ASG

Kobe and Howard are still some of the best players in the league. Garnett gets voted in because of his past.

rascal
01-27-2013, 11:15 AM
lol, the majority of NBA fans are outraged with TP's selection for AS game over Curry, why do you think they'll be good judges over low key talent on below radar team Spurs like Splitter ?? :lol

Where do you get that info that the majority of NBA fans are outraged over TPs selection?

SpursIndonesia
01-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Where do you get that info that the majority of NBA fans are outraged over TPs selection?

Just take a look into comments in forums and websites everywhere, regarding threads or topics about AS game players selection. No body questions about Paul (deservedly) or Westbrook (great stats, monkeyball playing style, & OKC no. 1 standing), and Harden also (because of Houston hometown factor), only Parker's singled out because of his "average" stats and non "wow" playing style. Most agree that some frontcourt players are more undeserving (Howard and Aldridge), but Curry's a backcourt player and they see Parker as the most replaceable. Heck, even analysts are questioning Parker's selection, like Barkley proposing Jamal freakin Crawford, just read those darn articles around.

DMC
01-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Wow, comparing the DPOY and champion center to Tiago Splitter? Really? No.

Paranoid Pop
01-28-2013, 09:56 AM
A Tiago Splitter vs Nick Collison poll would be more interesting tbh.

Blake
01-28-2013, 10:41 AM
a Tiago vs Scola would be fascinating.

BRs.Ganso
01-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Tiago playing real minutes

january:

15 games - 28,4 mpg

12,6 PPG
7,5 RPG

he could done this in 10-11 season too, done better than this.