PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Suns - Jan. 26

timvp
01-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Tony Parker A+
Absolutely scintillatingly clutch in the 4th. Great scoring throughout. Passed well. Rugged defense. Simply great.

Manu Ginobili A
Welcome back; looked much better athletically tonight. Very efficient offensively. Brought fire to the game.

Kawhi Leonard B
Grabbed contested boards. Smoother on the offensive end. D wasn’t consistent. Helped too much too often.

Danny Green D-
Had nothing offensively. Wanted the ball but couldn’t finish. Defense was lackluster. Lost his man repeatedly.

Tiago Splitter C+
Boarding was feeble, especially late. Finishing was iffy. Interior D sporadic. Produced but far from a crisp outing.

Boris Diaw B
Good aggression on offense; his movement was superb. Passing was forgettable. D solid but lacked rebounding.

Stephen Jackson B+
Outstanding offensively in first half. Rebounding and lane protection a big plus. Passed well; took care of it.

Gary Neal D-
Went back to mindless chucking. Didn’t run offense. Broke sets. Eventually got benched.

DeJuan Blair B+
Played mostly under control. His passing and court awareness were great. Dubious D but had quick hands.

Matt Bonner B-
Good effort on D, especially on perimeter. Impact wasn’t notable, though. Outside shooting remains a struggle.

Patrick Mills B+
Was a good change of pace from Neal. Played fast yet under control. Made plays on both ends.

Bud A+
Pulling the plug on Neal and Green was great coaching. Multiple fantastic play calls. Coaching in 4th was splendid.

TDMVPDPOY
01-26-2013, 11:23 PM
danny green has become a joke of a player who cant do anything offensively anywhere inside the 3pt line,

Cry Havoc
01-26-2013, 11:23 PM
How far has Blair's star fallen that tonight was a B+ for him? Yikes.

Brunodf
01-26-2013, 11:24 PM
http://ferringtonpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Mitt-Romney-Sucks-Here%E2%80%99s-Why-Photo-by-2bp.jpg

Cry Havoc
01-26-2013, 11:24 PM
danny green has become a joke of a player who cant do anything offensively anywhere inside the 3pt line,

Fri 1/25
@ DAL
W 113-107 27 4-9 .444 3-4 .750 0-0 .000 3 4 0 3 2 0 11
Wed 1/23
vsNO
W 106-102 29 5-11 .455 2-4 .500 0-0 .000 7 0 0 2 4 1 12

lololol troll

TDMVPDPOY
01-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Fri 1/25
@ DAL
W 113-107 27 4-9 .444 3-4 .750 0-0 .000 3 4 0 3 2 0 11
Wed 1/23
vsNO
W 106-102 29 5-11 .455 2-4 .500 0-0 .000 7 0 0 2 4 1 12

lololol troll

blowing open layups which should be a automatic 2pts if he dunks that shit, `1-2 possessions too many in every game

DesignatedT
01-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Green is what he is. Spurs knew exactly what type of player he was when they signed him. Those thinking he could turn into Ginobili aren't paying attention. He's there to play defense and hit open shots. Nothing more. If he's doing those two things well then 3.5 mil/yr is still a bargain.

chapnis
01-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Giving Parker an A+ now ;) He dominated in the 4th quarter. Manu looked good in his minutes again which was great to see.

Slutter McGee
01-26-2013, 11:36 PM
blowing open layups which should be a automatic 2pts if he dunks that shit, `1-2 possessions too many in every game

I really hate to agree with this jackass, but if green is doing anything but shooting a wide open 3 I tend to cringe. Leonard has been pretty bad around the rim at times, but Green makes him look like fucking Lebron James.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

objective
01-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Danny Green will cost the Spurs a playoff game.

His ability to lose his man for open 3s while ballwatching is second to none. It's not a one game thing, it seems like it's all the time.

He is so over-rated by the virtue of starting and getting to play alongside players like Parker, Splitter, Duncan and Leonard. Tonight he managed a -11 while every other player had a positive plus minus except Mills who only played 4 minutes.

freetiago
01-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Ginobili had one of the quietest 20 points games ive seen
didnt realize it til i looked at the boscore
good too see his old tricks worked tonight

splitter was soft tonight
had bad hands and couldnt control a lot of rebounds
if it was duncan instead of him he probably would have been near the 20 range in rebounds

RD2191
01-26-2013, 11:41 PM
cant count on streaky shooters against okc, its not like timmy and manu are in their primes. idk what the spurs should do so i guess i shouldn't complain, but counting on green and neal is a big big mistake

Capt Bringdown
01-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Good grades. If Jared F'n Dudley doesn't go 10 for 12, Spurs run away with it. Decent b/2b win.

lefty
01-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Bud shits on Pop TBH

TMTTRIO
01-26-2013, 11:47 PM
I think Manu reaggrivated his back injury tonight after Brown brought him down. After he went back to the bench I saw him sitting there with a heating pad on his back the whole time and when he came back in during the fourth he wasn't that effective. When the game ended he was holding his back going into the locker room. Hopefully it's nothing.

spurraider21
01-26-2013, 11:47 PM
i get exhausted just watching TP play. his conditioning is superb. sorta glad he doesn't play huge minutes

TDMVPDPOY
01-27-2013, 12:02 AM
gary neal is a certified scrub we can all agree with, i think he should be starting so he doesnt jack up shots and go back to that spot up shooter role his good at

as for green, at leasts he could be another defensive assignment playing with the bench....

TheSkeptic
01-27-2013, 12:04 AM
Thanks as always. It wasn't a pretty win but any win without TD is a good one.

Tough on Green, tough on Neal, tough on Splitter :tu

Unfortunately I'm starting to expect games like this from Neal. But Green needed to play better defense (I honestly don't get mad when he misses shots anymore) and Splitter needed to just play better. Not sure if those guys were just tired or looking forward to the break, but Splitter in particular didn't do enough. He's at a stage in his development where I think that he has to start taking more initiative. To my mind, he's a good enough player that he should able to help the team out during winning time instead of being carried to the end by Manu and Parker as if he's Green or Neal. He didn't do that this time and I'm glad to see that the gloves are coming off Timvp. :toast

On the other hand, Parker and Manu were awesome (especially Parker). Bud's also still undefeated. Diaw's energy was refreshing and I know he'll play well against his old team. Hopefully TD will be back against Charlotte even if he'll only be needed for about 15 minutes.

TDMVPDPOY
01-27-2013, 12:11 AM
tough on Splitter :tu

Unfortunately I'm starting to expect games like this from Neal. But Green needed to play better defense (I honestly don't get mad when he misses shots anymore) and Splitter needed to just play better. Not sure if those guys were just tired or looking forward to the break, but Splitter in particular didn't do enough. He's at a stage in his development where I think that he has to start taking more initiative. To my mind, he's a good enough player that he should able to help the team out during winning time instead of being carried to the end by Manu and Parker as if he's Green or Neal. He didn't do that this time and I'm glad to see that the gloves are coming off Timvp. :toast

htf is splitter going to take over games or when we need scoring from down low that players stop running up plays for him PNR or just ignoring the hot hand splitter when he comes back after a sub...

RodNIc91
01-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the grades! I think finally Tony is gaining some respect calls from the refs. Splitter as well, although they still overlook him at times. BTW would you mind making some sort of recap/player pairs/thoughts of the team now that we're halfway through?

99 Problems
01-27-2013, 12:22 AM
I love the Suns emblem, but why season after season does their kit look so boring. Not just boring but shitefully boring.

DesertSpur50
01-27-2013, 12:30 AM
George Hill A+

Neat Triple Double and a big three in the end today in loss to Jazz due to crappy officiating down the stretch.

22pts on 10-16 9reb 8ast 2stl

dbestpro
01-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Would like to see the Spurs trade Green and Blair for a good backup SF and then move Jax in at starting SG.

racm
01-27-2013, 12:57 AM
Would like to see the Spurs trade Green and Blair for a good backup SF and then move Jax in at starting SG.

Jax or Neal tbh. Jax is too slow to run around screens chasing guys like Kyle Korver and defends post playing wings or guys like Durant better.

TheSkeptic
01-27-2013, 01:59 AM
htf is splitter going to take over games or when we need scoring from down low that players stop running up plays for him PNR or just ignoring the hot hand splitter when he comes back after a sub...

How much longer are we going to keep saying it's the guards' fault if Splitter isn't getting the ball enough?

Like you said, right now the movie usually goes something like this: the guards (*cough* Neal *cough*) start shooting too much even though Tiago is finishing well around the hoop and getting open. The other team consequently goes on a run. At some point Pop calls a time-out and tells them (mostly Neal) to quit fooling around on the perimeter and to try passing the ball inside on the pick and roll. Splitter usually gets the ball then and he makes the shot more often than not. The bench gets a decent lead and then the starters come in to close it out. Thing is, it shouldn't take a time-out and Pop's orders for that to happen.

As essentially our 4th best player, Splitter needs to be taking more shots than Neal (ok so maybe I'm losing my patience with the chucking) and he needs to recognize that Pop's not going to bench him for missing shots anymore unless he's shooting unnecessary contested pull up 3's a la Gary. He may have to ask for the ball more than once before he gets it to start but as long as he's able to keep finishing and making his FT's while making sound passing decisions with the ball, he'll eventually work himself to a place where he'll get the ball on the second unit as soon as he calls for it. If he gets into obviously good positions and calls without getting the ball repeatedly, Pop will either step in or Manu (heck Jax) will take the ball away from Neal in order to make the play. If Splitter did that consistently, at this stage I don't think the team would ignore him. In fact they haven't been in this recent stretch.

I gave Splitter a pass on this last season because he was underplayed and was just getting acclimated to the NBA. This year he's clearly shown that he has another level of basketball in him and he's showing more aggression by going after offensive boards and he's also raising his hand for the ball more. It's frustrating and all but at some point we have to admit that at least some of this is on Tiago. If he can gesture for the ball when Tony's on the floor, he has no reason to be so passive when Gary's running the show. He has to stop allowing people like Neal to think passing him the ball is a nice suggestion and he needs to be more willing to go get the ball during momentum shifts like the one we saw in Philadelphia.*

*Generally speaking. He clearly got more than enough shots this game.

TheSkeptic
01-27-2013, 02:00 AM
^^ Wow. I'm not sure where this passive aggressive hostility towards Neal is coming from tbh. :lol

racm
01-27-2013, 02:13 AM
^^ Wow. I'm not sure where this passive aggressive hostility towards Neal is coming from tbh. :lol

We Spurfans have a pathological dislike for chuckers.

Splits
01-27-2013, 02:36 AM

His 3ball if off 5% pts this year from the previous 2 at 42%. So naturally he's turned from an ST "Neal with it" clutch shooter into a heroball chucker. Funny how that happens so quickly. Gary will have the last laugh on the court like he did in court.

jestersmash
01-27-2013, 02:50 AM
Yeah I think 3 months ago my annoyance level with Neal was about a 1.5 (on a scale of 10 with 10 being the most annoyed and 1 being not annoyed at all). I think through slumps and a slew of ill advised shots my annoyance level with him has jumped to about a 2.

I'm not terribly worried about him nor am I terribly annoyed with him at this point, especially given the amount of $ he makes.

spurs10
01-27-2013, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the grades! Just watched again, and we closed this in style. Glad everyone, especially Tony, gets some rest! They %#&$in' deserve it!!

KaiRMD1
01-27-2013, 05:10 AM
Is this a contract year for Blair?

SpursIndonesia
01-27-2013, 06:08 AM
Green is what he is. Spurs knew exactly what type of player he was when they signed him. Those thinking he could turn into Ginobili aren't paying attention. He's there to play defense and hit open shots. Nothing more. If he's doing those two things well then 3.5 mil/yr is still a bargain.

Truth. Though i must say, Green's kinda flatlined so far this season, if not slightly regressed, and that's somewhat disappointing.

Fireball
01-27-2013, 06:39 AM

yes

TJastal
01-27-2013, 07:07 AM
How much longer are we going to keep saying it's the guards' fault if Splitter isn't getting the ball enough?

Like you said, right now the movie usually goes something like this: the guards (*cough* Neal *cough*) start shooting too much even though Tiago is finishing well around the hoop and getting open. The other team consequently goes on a run. At some point Pop calls a time-out and tells them (mostly Neal) to quit fooling around on the perimeter and to try passing the ball inside on the pick and roll. Splitter usually gets the ball then and he makes the shot more often than not. The bench gets a decent lead and then the starters come in to close it out. Thing is, it shouldn't take a time-out and Pop's orders for that to happen.

As essentially our 4th best player, Splitter needs to be taking more shots than Neal (ok so maybe I'm losing my patience with the chucking) and he needs to recognize that Pop's not going to bench him for missing shots anymore unless he's shooting unnecessary contested pull up 3's a la Gary. He may have to ask for the ball more than once before he gets it to start but as long as he's able to keep finishing and making his FT's while making sound passing decisions with the ball, he'll eventually work himself to a place where he'll get the ball on the second unit as soon as he calls for it. If he gets into obviously good positions and calls without getting the ball repeatedly, Pop will either step in or Manu (heck Jax) will take the ball away from Neal in order to make the play. If Splitter did that consistently, at this stage I don't think the team would ignore him. In fact they haven't been in this recent stretch.

I gave Splitter a pass on this last season because he was underplayed and was just getting acclimated to the NBA. This year he's clearly shown that he has another level of basketball in him and he's showing more aggression by going after offensive boards and he's also raising his hand for the ball more. It's frustrating and all but at some point we have to admit that at least some of this is on Tiago. If he can gesture for the ball when Tony's on the floor, he has no reason to be so passive when Gary's running the show. He has to stop allowing people like Neal to think passing him the ball is a nice suggestion and he needs to be more willing to go get the ball during momentum shifts like the one we saw in Philadelphia.*

*Generally speaking. He clearly got more than enough shots this game.

But Splitter getting more touches just wouldn't be fair to the rest of the team.

racm
01-27-2013, 07:27 AM

Also for Splitter, Jax, and Manu (though the later too are long-in-the-tooth vets so they're less affected).

Baynes
01-27-2013, 10:42 AM
wow, its been long since the last D or lower grade for Danny Green.

Even when he's shooting bricks, he always gets B.

timvp falling out of love of Green? good!

timvp
01-27-2013, 01:02 PM
wow, its been long since the last D or lower grade for Danny Green.

Even when he's shooting bricks, he always gets B.

timvp falling out of love of Green? good!

Going HAM after being a Spurs fan for 24 hours. Impressive, thb.

exstatic
01-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Jax or Neal tbh. Jax is too slow to run around screens chasing guys like Kyle Korver and defends post playing wings or guys like Durant better.

Jack SF
Kawhi SG

Baynes
01-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Going HAM after being a Spurs fan for 24 hours. Impressive, thb.
naaah, a fan for years. a lurker as well :)
I like your grades and always looking forward to it, I just noticed the fact that you love Green :bang.

calling someone HAM just because you thought that its a new spurs fan is more HAM to me, tbh.

TDMVPDPOY
01-28-2013, 12:34 PM
for t hose that say, spurs are know what they are doing with Green due to his low contract...

his not the same player as jax first stint at the spurs after the 02/03 championship ring, even with the low ball 3m offer by the spurs...jax was 3x the talent of green at the time even if u compared to what green is today....

danny green will never ever be a hybrid of jax or wanting him to play like that young jax....

DisAsTerBot
01-28-2013, 01:12 PM
I like your grades and always looking forward to it, I just noticed the fact that you love Green :bang.

calling someone HAM just because you thought that its a new spurs fan is more HAM to me, tbh.

lol calling someone HAM

benefactor
01-28-2013, 01:16 PM

crofl lurker for years but don't know what HAM means.

Color me unconvinced.

turkish spurs fan
01-28-2013, 01:30 PM
didier drogba signed galatasaray

spurraider21
01-28-2013, 01:33 PM
didier drogba signed galatasaray
this is a spurs forum on a thread about spurs vs suns and you are posting about soccer...

spurraider21
01-28-2013, 01:37 PM
btw if you are intent on posting about soccer on ST... here's the link to the soccer forum. enjoy.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40

timvp
01-28-2013, 01:37 PM

I was just messing with you, tbh. Welcome to the forum. You'll notice that I get accused of loving/hating just about every player...

turkish spurs fan
01-28-2013, 01:55 PM
DROGBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chinook
01-28-2013, 02:17 PM
No one should be shocked with Green's grade. He had a terrible game. One thing he's been pretty good about this season was keeping his defensive intensity even when his shot wasn't falling. But he was just bad against the Suns. He hasn't been that bad at fighting through screens since early last season. As someone who's supported Green pretty consistently over the season, I was disgusted.

That said, I'd rather him have this type of game against the Suns than in the playoffs. If anything, this should lend support to the idea that Green is more streaky than anti-clutch. There's no reason to think he's be under any added pressure lately. I'm less worried about Green choking in the playoffs now than I was before this game.

ace3g
01-28-2013, 02:39 PM
dan mccarney ‏@danmccarneysaen (https://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen) @drew_48moh (https://twitter.com/drew_48moh) was onto something with Icy Hot nickname for Danny Green. % from 3 in recent games: 0, 75, 50, 0, 25, 43, 67, 0, 20, 67, 0.

Pauleta14
01-28-2013, 06:24 PM
DROGBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol

So you get Seinder AND Drogba!?!! Not a bad winter market for Galatasaray... :toast