PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Don't sleep on them Spurs

StrengthAndHonor
01-27-2013, 07:34 PM
I know this is a Spurs forum but to the uninformed, with tonights OKC loss the Spurs are now the # 1 team in the league. They won 17 out of 20 without Kawhi Leonard and Jackson out in some stretches. # 4 in defensive efficiency and owner of the best home record.

Championship this time or another fail year?

jestersmash
01-27-2013, 07:36 PM
I know this is a Spurs forum but to the uninformed, with tonights OKC loss the Spurs are now the # 1 team in the league. They won 17 out of 20 without Kawhi Leonard and Jackson out in some stretches. # 4 in defensive efficiency and owner of the best home record.

Probably the latter. WCSF or WCF is probably our ceiling.

Mugen
01-27-2013, 07:36 PM
not a bad passive-aggressive thread from Danny Manning's No. 1 fan tbh.

StrengthAndHonor
01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
not a bad passive-aggressive thread from Danny Manning's No. 1 fan tbh.

:lol

StrengthAndHonor
01-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Probably the latter. WCSF or WCF is probably our ceiling.

Biggest obstacle, Clippers, OKC, Memphis or Miami?

TDMVPDPOY
01-27-2013, 07:41 PM
thread title.....thought it was about parker, if u know what i mean...

jestersmash
01-27-2013, 07:43 PM

They're all obstacles. If I had to rank them from 'biggest' to 'smallest' obstacle, it's probably something like Miami > OKC > Clippers = Memphis

benefactor
01-27-2013, 07:44 PM
They will be out in the WCF again. It's nice to still be winning though. Thought they would be lottery bound for sure by this time.

HI-FI
01-27-2013, 07:46 PM

you probably have better odds since you're a fan of Lakers and Clippers. but I still have faith in dem Spurs.

We play a beautiful, pure type of basketball and I think if providence can shine our way, we have as good of a chance as anyone. of course if we also need a few jews in NY to give us a chance as well. But I think it's definitely possible.

TD 21

Thunder, Heat, Clippers, Grizzlies, in that order.

Even though I still think the Heat are better than the Thunder, with Duncan's resurgence and Splitter finally playing a role commensurate with his production, combined with the Heat's relative weakness at PG, the Spurs would have some major advantages over them. Also, as has been well documented by now, the Thunder are more reliant on officiating than any team since the O'Neal led Lakers.

Richie
They're all obstacles. If I had to rank them from 'biggest' to 'smallest' obstacle, it's probably something like Miami > OKC > Clippers = Memphis

I think OKC > Miami > Memphis > Clippers.

Memphis is still a worse match up for us than the Clips, and I think we match up better with Miami than OKC.

Agreed though, all tough obstacles. Spurs are definitely outsiders.

TDMVPDPOY
01-27-2013, 07:48 PM
that 3 man team in grey is very dangerous then that assembled cheat team south beach

racm
01-27-2013, 07:50 PM
that 3 man team in grey is very dangerous then that assembled cheat team south beach
TDMVPDPOY with the goods :wow

Spur_Fanatic
01-27-2013, 07:53 PM

Latarian Milton
01-27-2013, 10:44 PM
life will be tough for them spurs come playoffs imho. spurs have the best regular season records in the west and i don't have no doubt they will qualify for the 2nd round with ease since none of the 6-8th teams would pose any serious threat to them in the first round, but there will be little chance for them spurs to get through teams such as OKC, clippers and even memphis maybe, who all expertise in monkeyball which often makes spurs suffer the most.

DMC
01-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Sounds like last season, poised to win the regular season championship.

StrengthAndHonor
01-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Spurs fans are modest. I respect that.

Brunodf
01-27-2013, 11:21 PM
I think OKC > Miami > Memphis > Clippers.

Memphis is still a worse match up for us than the Clips, and I think we match up better with Miami than OKC.

Agreed though, all tough obstacles. Spurs are definitely outsiders.

Just no, Memphis have nothing for us this season.

Clips is a very very dangerous team, their bench can match ours, their defense is good, monkeyballers are monkeyballing better this season...

8FOR!3
01-27-2013, 11:23 PM
I don't see how Western Conference Finals is a "ceiling." Especially in the West, if you're good enough to make it there you're good enough to win there. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but it means it could reasonably go either way.

ffadicted
01-27-2013, 11:24 PM

Clips is a very very dangerous team, their bench can match ours, their defense is good, monkeyballers are monkeyballing better this season...

Ya we've had no problems with memphis for a while now lol I'd be nice to let one of the clipshow/okc take the other one out for us tbh... first seed very important

HarlemHeat37
01-27-2013, 11:35 PM
I haven't been confident in the Spurs winning a title since 2007, but I'm starting to believe this year's team has a good shot at the title, tbh..Duncan's resurgence + Splitter's emergence + OKC losing Harden gives the Spurs a very realistic shot at the Finals..

Latarian Milton
01-28-2013, 12:20 AM
spurs were an elite rebounding team in their championship years, especially their defensive rebounding but the current team ain't nowhere close. in fact they will struggle alot combating those monkeyball teams, and even if they manage to wriggle out of the west somehow they'll have to face miami in the finals whom they have no chance to get through. i predict spurs will get eliminated in the 2nd round or WCF depending on what teams they're gonna play

Monkeyboy14
01-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Spurs have a chance this year, but tbh i see them having an even better chance NEXT year. With the main reasons being, more growth from Kawhi, and a possible offseason signing *cough* Al jefferson *cough* chris Kaman *cough* David West *cough*

Robz4000
01-28-2013, 12:42 AM
If the Spurs get the #1 seed they'll get to the WCF, but they aren't beating OKC. If by some miracle the Thunderefs are knocked out before then the Spurs can win the West. Heat/Spurs Final would be an amazing series, but I'd still think the Heat would be the heavy favorite.

Grit and Grind
01-28-2013, 12:45 AM
I love the Spurs but you just don't win with a bench ... You can not rely on Kawhi or Danny Greeen in the playoffs you need a beats starting 5 and outside of TP9 and Timmy no one is really special

Grit and Grind
01-28-2013, 12:47 AM

Again ...... We have the better starting lienup .... That's what win the playoffs bro ... So what if you win in the regular season it's all about the playoffs

Brunodf
01-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Again ...... We have the better starting lienup .... That's what win the playoffs bro ... So what if you win in the regular season it's all about the playoffs

http://o5.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/baby-smile.jpg

Grit and Grind
01-28-2013, 12:53 AM
TP9 >>>> Conley
TA >>>> Danny Green
Rudy > Kawhi
Zach vs Timmy D ( Coin flip but I would go with Timmy D )
Marc >>>> Tiago

Honestly isn't really a competetion on which team has better defense . I never said the Spurs are bad . They could probably beat us in the playoffs but don't act like Memphis can't win

Monkeyboy14
01-28-2013, 12:54 AM
I love the Spurs but you just don't win with a bench ... You can not rely on Kawhi or Danny Greeen in the playoffs you need a beats starting 5 and outside of TP9 and Timmy no one is really special
Disagree, I mean kawhi didnt choke last year.. so what reason would you have to think he would this year? Plus he is already a top perimeter defender in the league, he would start for a lot (obviously not all) of teams at his position. And tp9 is starting to play out of his mind, that keeps up, you never know :)

Grit and Grind
01-28-2013, 12:57 AM
Disagree, I mean kawhi didnt choke last year.. so what reason would you have to think he would this year? Plus he is already a top perimeter defender in the league, he would start for a lot (obviously not all) of teams at his position. And tp9 is starting to play out of his mind, that keeps up, you never know :)
Kawhi is good when did I say he ever choked I just said you can't win with 3 point shooters . Also great PG don't mean shit in the playoffs that's why I think Memphis has a chance ( Conley is way better than recent PG's in the finals doe ) /. Guys like JJ Baraea , Old Kidd , Mario Chalmers , Westbrick ( Not a true PG ) and Derick Fisher look at them in the Finals

Brunodf
01-28-2013, 01:01 AM
TP9 >>>> Conley
TA >>>> Danny Green
Rudy > Kawhi
Marc >>>> Tiago

Honestly isn't really a competetion on which team has better defense . I never said the Spurs are bad . They could probably beat us in the playoffs but don't act like Memphis can't win

TP> Conley
Gay on a good day> Kawhi
TD> Gasol
Green> Allen( Allen is useless vs Green tbh).
Randolph> Splitter but Zbo can't score at will over Splitter like he did against Macdyess/Blair.

Honestly isn't really a compeTEtion on which team is better overall. I never said the Grizzlies are bad and never said they CAN'T win, but if the Spurs is health, Grizzlies is the least scary matchup.

Thebesteva
01-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Spurs will be regular season champs and choke in the playoffs as usual.

They will then go on to find new European centers and 3 point assassins and stay relevant for another 5 years and be regular season contenders while other teams win rings.

Monkeyboy14
01-28-2013, 01:03 AM
Kawhi is good when did I say he ever choked I just said you can't win with 3 point shooters . Also great PG don't mean shit in the playoffs that's why I think Memphis has a chance ( Conley is way better than recent PG's in the finals doe ) /. Guys like JJ Baraea , Old Kidd , Mario Chalmers , Westbrick ( Not a true PG ) and Derick Fisher look at them in the Finals
You said you cant count on guys like Kawhi and Green in the playoffs. Which like i said i disagree with, well kawhi anyway. And you act like all the spurs do is shoot 3s. We dont live and die by the 3 as much as we use to, we actually havent been shooting it very well lately and we are still winning. And i again disagree with "great pointguards dont do shit in the playoffs." You cant compare tony to the players you named. He is out of there league, and if what you say is true, a nets team lead by Jason Kidd would have never even mad the finals. Also, I would agree with you about this whole pointguard thing if the spurs played hero ball, but they dont. They way they play teamball kind of shows with an elite point guard like tony, it is possible for deep playoff runs/championships. Yeah if they played like OKC or the Heat, tony wouldnt have the effect he does.

Grit and Grind
01-28-2013, 01:03 AM
TP> Conley
Gay on a good day> Kawhi
TD> Gasol
Green> Allen( Allen is useless vs Green tbh).
Randolph> Splitter but Zbo can't score at will over Splitter like he did against Macdyess/Blair.

Honestly isn't really a compeTEtion on which team is better overall. I never said the Grizzlies are bad and never said they CAN'T win, but if the Spurs is health, Grizzlies is the least scary matchup.
Allen is the glue that holds MEM and your saying Danny Green is better than him .... BLASMPHOUS

HI-FI
01-28-2013, 01:12 AM
Grizzlies are a good team. Technically Spurs, Clippers and Grizzlies all deserve a fair shot, but I think Thunderefs will end up with a bunch of bs officiating. in an evenly officiated series, I think Spurs can take on anyone if we're healthy and play to our strengths.

Brunodf
01-28-2013, 01:13 AM
Spurs will be regular season champs and choke in the playoffs as usual.

They will then go on to find new European centers and 3 point assassins and stay relevant for another 5 years and be regular season contenders while other teams win rings.

:lmao Laker fan trying to talk shit about us.
:lolBack to back 2nd round exits:lol 1-8.
:lol10th seed
:lolmost talented team in the world 19-25
:lol 100 million payroll for this shit

Cry Havoc
01-28-2013, 01:14 AM

OKC, because they're the team we'll most likely be playing with 3 fewer men on the court.

AussieFanKurt
01-28-2013, 01:15 AM
Will get 1st or 2nd most wins - will lose in WCF again

Sean Cagney
01-28-2013, 01:18 AM
:lmao Laker fan trying to talk shit about us.
:lolBack to back 2nd round exits:lol 1-8.
:lol10th seed
:lolmost talented team in the world 19-25
:lol 100 million payroll for this shit

That is stupid GAYKER FANS for you to be honest. They talk alot of shit, which is why I hate most of their stupid ass fans.

Trainwreck2100
01-28-2013, 01:26 AM
Grizz haven't had the Spurs number since HWMNBN left. If the Spurs get the 1 seed they are locks for the WCF. As well as 3peat reg season champions

Spurs 4 The Win
01-28-2013, 01:43 AM
Spurs will lose to either OKC or Miami when they take a series lead and the refs intervene and hand it to the other team (just like last year). The only way this doesnt happen is if the spurs play 15+ points better than those teams 4/7 games... doubt that will happen

jestersmash
01-28-2013, 01:54 AM
TP9 >>>> Conley
TA >>>> Danny Green
Rudy > Kawhi
Marc >>>> Tiago

You're comparing the wrong people. You should be comparing the "functional" starters with each other, not just the "technical" starters. Ginobili should be matched up with Tony Allen. I'd give the offensive nod to Ginobili and the defensive nod to TA, and the overall nod to Ginobili.

So you're left with Rudy >>> Kawhi and Marc >>> Tiago. Gasol is obviously a vastly superior 1 on 1 post player than Tiago. Tiago's 1 on 1 post game is virtually non-existent, but his overall offensive game as a rolling role player is just as effective (if not more effective if we go by PER) than Gasol's. That being said, the fact that Gasol doesn't rely on guards feeding him the ball in pick and rolls is a very powerful advantage. Gasol still gets the comfortable nod over Tiago, but not to the extent you implied.

Defensively it's a wash. Gasol's BR defensive rating is 98. Tiago's BR defensive rating is 99. Gasol's BR offensive rating (ORtg) is 117, vs Tiago's 124 BR ORtg.

Thebesteva
01-28-2013, 01:57 AM
That is stupid GAYKER FANS for you to be honest. They talk alot of shit, which is why I hate most of their stupid ass fans.

Yeah because it's only Laker fans that talk trash lol. Spurs fans...can't wait till Timmy and Popo retire and Spurs fade back into oblivion like the Lebron-less Cavs.

Clipper Nation
01-28-2013, 01:58 AM
Can't wait until the Lakers lose a couple games in a row again and your bitch ass runs and hides at LG per par...

HI-FI
01-28-2013, 02:03 AM
Yeah because it's only Laker fans that talk trash lol. Spurs fans...can't wait till Timmy and Popo retire and Spurs fade back into oblivion like the Lebron-less Cavs.
better hope the league doesn't continue on its path towards a hard cap, otherwise the days of purple and gold dominance will come to a crashing halt. then you'll have no more advantage than the rest of us. though Dr. Buss or his dipshit son can save the extra cash and have more tacos for the illega....fans.

Thebesteva
01-28-2013, 02:09 AM
better hope the league doesn't continue on its path towards a hard cap, otherwise the days of purple and gold dominance will come to a crashing halt. then you'll have no more advantage than the rest of us. though Dr. Buss or his dipshit son can save the extra cash and have more tacos for the illega....fans.

Wasn't the hard cap effective as of the offseason? Didn't the Lakers get the two best FREE AGENTS in the entire NBA arguably since the 2010 FA with Lebron? Please, Lakers will keep Dwight, acquire Kyrie Irving in a few years, set a new dynasty while Spurs will be #1 in the west during the regular season. And lose again

Venti Quattro
01-28-2013, 02:09 AM
Don't sleep on them! Boring = 4 rings

Clipper Nation
01-28-2013, 02:13 AM
Wasn't the hard cap effective as of the offseason?

No, there's no hard cap in the league... there's stricter luxury tax penalties that will gradually kick in throughout the next few years though, tbh...

A hard cap is inevitable though considering the amount of failing small market teams around the league... if that isn't addressed, the NBA will turn into an NHL-like mess...

jestersmash
01-28-2013, 02:14 AM
Wasn't the hard cap effective as of the offseason? Didn't the Lakers get the two best FREE AGENTS in the entire NBA arguably since the 2010 FA with Lebron? Please, Lakers will keep Dwight, acquire Kyrie Irving in a few years, set a new dynasty while Spurs will be #1 in the west during the regular season. And lose again

Do you understand what "hard cap" means, tbh?

Thebesteva
01-28-2013, 02:18 AM
Do you understand what "hard cap" means, tbh?

Yes, my point is the Lakers were supposedly going to be handicapped by this last year and couldnt pursue Dwight or CP3 supposedly. They got both, minus the blockage by Stern. I promise you, it may delay the inevitable but the Lakers will be back on top again...probably not with this nucleus thoug.

ElNono
01-28-2013, 02:20 AM
Once Pop and Tim retire, the Spurs will hire Mike Brown and really hit rock bottom... then hire some hyped up coach and post a sub .500 record while being irrelevant...

Not really looking forward to those days, tbh...

Clipper Nation
01-28-2013, 02:20 AM
Yes, my point is the Lakers were supposedly going to be handicapped by this last year and couldnt pursue Dwight or CP3 supposedly. They got both, minus the blockage by Stern.
:cry "Stern hates us for not giving us every food stamp!" :cry

Clipper Nation
01-28-2013, 02:21 AM
Once Pop and Tim retire, the Spurs will hire Mike Brown and really hit rock bottom... then hire some hyped up coach and post a sub .500 record while being irrelevant...

Isn't Budenholzer expected to take over once Pop retires? If not, he needs to get his ass down to Lob City and replace V:lolnny D:loll N:lolgr:lol tbh...

jestersmash
01-28-2013, 02:22 AM

We'll be irrelevant, but I figured we'll be irrelevant under Budenholzer. Why would we hire Mike Brown or anyone else?

HI-FI
01-28-2013, 02:27 AM

damn, El Nono with the downer bads tbh. I think it will be bad but not that bad. I think you're letting your fear of losing Manu get the best of you scrah.

I think as long as Peter Holt is our owner, we will be alright. It really begins with a decent to great owner. I'm starting to warm up to Coach Bud. He won't be a Pop, but he actually seems more competent than Scottie Brooks or Spoelstra. I do hope we get the best coach we can, and I agree that things won't be the same without Pop or Duncan.

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-28-2013, 04:32 AM
The last 2 years says Hi. This team is so damn predictable..... blowing their wad in February and getting bounced in the semis

ElNono
01-28-2013, 04:45 AM
damn, nobody picked up on my thinly veiled troll attempt... let's try with some bolding...

rayjayjohnson
01-28-2013, 05:31 AM
Pretty pathetic attempt at a burn tbh

rayjayjohnson
01-28-2013, 05:34 AM
damn, nobody picked up on my thinly veiled troll attempt... let's try with some bolding...

:lol nono with the nonstop goods

Raven
01-28-2013, 08:10 AM

:lol

Captivus
01-28-2013, 08:55 AM
The team that can play their starters the longer has a better chance, that’s sounds a little obvious but that’s what I think.
That’s the reason I think MIA and OKC are the toughest teams.
I don’t know if the Spurs can win against a team like MIA when they Lebron can play 48 minutes every night.
The bench is only valuable if they can outscore the other bench (DOH!), the things is: How many minutes will Lebron/Wade/Bosh rest. I they don’t rest, they can beat any bench. So that’s my concern. It’s not enough to be tied by the end of the 1st quarter, if Miami's big 3 starts the second.
Off course I could be completely wrong!

racm
01-28-2013, 09:00 AM

son Jim Buss is James Dolan 2.0, I suspect he manages to give a high-scoring non all star like Rudy Gay a max contract and tries to pigeonhole him into D'Antoni's gimmick offense

Mal
01-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Stern and his crew.

Clipper Nation
01-28-2013, 10:32 AM
If Blake keeps playing at the dominant level he's played at lately for the rest of the year (near triple-doubles every night, extremely efficient, showing off his solid passing skills), it has to be the Clippers.... and I'm not just saying that as a Clippers fan, it's just that outside of Duncan, the Spurs' bigs rotation is pretty thin, and Blake could expose that far more than Ibaka (who always settles for pussy jump shots against the Spurs) or P:lolrkins could...

Roger Freemason Jr.
01-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Let's see... Nobody on any of those teams can defend Parker except for Conley and Paul, but even then.. Parker is Parker, and he does what he does. Lebron & Durant are going to score, and do what they do.. but Kawhi will at least make it difficult, especially if Lebron decides to play the passing lanes as per usual, and Westbrook will help Kawhi defend Durant. If Duncan continues his resurgent season, and Splitter continues to grow on the starting line-up, the only other front-court the Spurs will have trouble with is Gasol and Randolph, but who knows if Randolph even stays in Memphis? Blake and Deandre will fly like they do, but I think Duncan can hold it down like he did the last post-season, and hopefully Splitter will help.

The SG match-ups. We know that Green can be a terrific perimeter defender, but he is just kind of inconsistent. Manu is great defender but might be a bit slower than a few other SG's on those elite teams, like Wade and Crawford, but in all honestly, Wade and Crawford are the only ones that trouble me. Kevin Martin is inconsistent, and I don't think he can hit those shots in the late post-season, Tony Allen will defend like always but should remain quiet offensively.

It will be tough, and I feel like the Spurs probably can't take it this year, but when I factor in those things, I can at least be a bit hopeful. Most likely, the Heat ringing again. Also, if Dirk starts averaging 25ppg, do you still sleep on the Mavericks?

DeadlyDynasty
01-28-2013, 10:39 AM
You simply can't take the Spurs seriously when they still rely on so many scrubs for production. Danny Green is still Danny Green at the end of the day. Last year's WCF proved this.

Roger Freemason Jr.
01-28-2013, 10:44 AM
^Sad, but true.

Rummpd
01-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Time will tell, too soon to know what teams might get stronger with the trade deadline and what teams will stay healthy. Most likely there will be at least one upset in the first round playoffs in the West this year - Denver, Golden State, and LAL (which will make it unless another big injury) will all be tough outs. Spurs with their experience should move on however, and if, Spurs healthy and get fair calls (unlike the travesty that was the WCF last year) they can compete with anyone.

benefactor
01-28-2013, 12:56 PM
You simply can't take the Spurs seriously when they still rely on so many scrubs for production. Danny Green is still Danny Green at the end of the day. Last year's WCF proved this.
Indeed. As was mentioned earlier, stars win in the playoffs. If you can't get over 40 minutes per game out of them it's extremely difficult to win a title.

benefactor
01-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Time will tell, too soon to know what teams might get stronger with the trade deadline and what teams will stay healthy. Most likely there will be at least one upset in the first round playoffs in the West this year - Denver, Golden State, and LAL (which will make it unless another big injury) will all be tough outs. Spurs with their experience should move on however, and if, Spurs healthy and get fair calls (unlike the travesty that was the WCF last year) they can compete with anyone.
LOL my beautiful and still petite wife is from Panama and if she did not kick your ass out of sympathy for your lack of masculinity, bring it on, former boxer here and Army doc here with training in the martial arts and while I am middle aged and "heading for the senior tour" in life; would still undoubtedly kick your hiding between a screen name *&^ anytime.

irishock
01-28-2013, 01:14 PM
The Spurs have set themselves up with the biggest officiating obstacle in NBA history. Stern's hatred of the Spurs has reached new dimensions, it's going to be an absolute miracle for them to win the title.

DeadlyDynasty
01-28-2013, 01:51 PM
irishock might be the worst poster in this forum's history.

spurraider21
01-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Biggest obstacle is always beating the team that beat you last... Spurs biggest obstacle has to be OKC just like the Clippers biggest obstacle is the Spurs

StrengthAndHonor
01-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Biggest obstacle is always beating the team that beat you last... Spurs biggest obstacle has to be OKC just like the Clippers biggest obstacle is the Spurs
Interesting. Although I do believe this year Spurs does have a chance beating OKC. Harden's loss was huge for that team.

spurraider21
01-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Interesting. Although I do believe this year Spurs does have a chance beating OKC. Harden's loss was huge for that team.
Harden leaving and Splitters emergence are going to be key if we are to get over the OKC hump. Splitter averaged roughly 10 minutes per game in the conference finals but has been an almost 30 minute per game guy since being plugged into the starting 5

Banzai
01-28-2013, 02:28 PM

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/workaholics-sup.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=5661)

Killakobe81
01-28-2013, 04:37 PM

3 point shooters are valuable ...look how Miller/Battier/Chalmers getting hot turned a close Finals in to a blowout in the deciding game. That being said ... only the Pistons and maybe the Celts ( i think KG was a legit MVP candidate but pierce was the Playoff and finals MVP) have won a title in the last 30 years without a player that was playing at a top 3 MVP level during that season. Dirk would of been that if he stayed healthy in 2011 but if you want to add the Mavs to that list ...fine.

If any team can pull off a 2004 Pistons ....San Antonio would be a great candidate .... but the odds are against it.

My guess is Durant or Lebron is winning it and the media will be hyping up a Magic bird 2.0 if we get a Finals repeat ...

DMC
01-28-2013, 04:42 PM
spurs were an elite rebounding team in their championship years, especially their defensive rebounding but the current team ain't nowhere close. in fact they will struggle alot combating those monkeyball teams, and even if they manage to wriggle out of the west somehow they'll have to face miami in the finals whom they have no chance to get through. i predict spurs will get eliminated in the 2nd round or WCF depending on what teams they're gonna play

The Spurs get more rebounds a game now than they did then. The differential is worse now and the ranking is worse. We allow 1 more offensive board per game now than we did in 2007. The major difference between then and now can be attributed to stacking of teams. The best team in the East was the Cavs. The 2nd best team in the West was the Mavs who lost to the Warriors, or the Suns (I'd take the Suns over the Mavs that year and I think the Suns crush Utah and Cleveland). Utah had an easy road to the WCF and got crushed. None of those teams had more than one legit player that could carry the team. Now you have teams with 4 franchise players. It's a different world.

dbreiden83080
01-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Win or lose i want another crack at OKC in the WCF.. Minus Harden who knows??

Raven
01-28-2013, 04:56 PM

i don't remember such a huge difference in strength from the 4th seed to the 5th.. there will be no upsets this year in the west, as long as there are not bad injuries or trades that change the talent level.. at least, that's my opinion.

irishock
01-28-2013, 05:10 PM

Try posting without an agenda, please.

Killakobe81
01-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Last year Spur fans, Simmons, the advanced stats nerds ... even myself got swept up in the best passing team since the 86 celts hoopla ...and you guys do play the right way. Again the Pistons won like this. But even if you point to the Mavs ...it took Dirk having a Bird like season on offense (and Lebron to defer to Wade ...) for the Mavs to ring. With Lebron now clutch and the more aggressive KD I just dont see those teams being beat. Grizz and Clips though are just the type of teams for the Spurs to beat ... because I dont think their best player is CONSIDERABLY better than Parker & duncan.

Problem is Durant and Lebron are ... sure it's ateam game. But if a legit star is playing at an elite level, in their prime and they get some decent help they usually win. Not saying Spurs winning is impossible, just not likely. But at least your team is btter than mine. and the games are enjoyable to watch ... Spurs are far from boring and they win. Cant ask for more ...but I understand once you win titles ... regular season success means little. I can respect that.

ElNono
01-28-2013, 05:20 PM

amen

timtonymanu
01-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Spurs do look better than last season, but I'm still not convinced they can go all the way. Can Parker and Duncan keep up their level of play in the playoffs? Can Splitter and Leonard be reliable? Can Manu stay healthy? A lot has to go right for the Spurs to get there because LeBron/Durant can outplay our whole team. It's just a matter of clicking at the right time.

JRHernandez88
01-28-2013, 05:50 PM
We winning it all if we get past OKC

rascal
01-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Allen is the glue that holds MEM and your saying Danny Green is better than him .... BLASMPHOUS

He forgot how bad Green was last year in the playoffs. Until Green does for even one year in the playoffs he isn't better than anyone.

Don't overlook the Lakers. Their size will still give the Spurs problems. They start turning it around and sneak in to the playoffs they can knock off the Spurs from the 8th seed.

StrengthAndHonor
01-28-2013, 06:11 PM
We winning it all if we get past OKC

I'm still iffy about their chances against Miami but I do like the idea of Tiago and Duncan playing together. And unlike most coaches, Pop does know how to utilize his players.

Brunodf
01-28-2013, 06:11 PM
OKC/Clippers are the biggest threats.
Heat is a good matchup for the Spurs tbh(no bigs/weak pg spot), they will be raped if the Spurs get to the Finals...

benefactor
01-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Last year Spur fans, Simmons, the advanced stats nerds ... even myself got swept up in the best passing team since the 86 celts hoopla ...and you guys do play the right way. Again the Pistons won like this.
The difference between the Pistons and last years or this years Spurs team is that not only were they an elite defensive team, but their whole starting five played at least 35MPG with their best offensive player and best defensive player/rebounder both playing 40MPG in the playoffs. Compare that with the Spurs, who only had two starting players average over 30MPG and Parker being the only one over 35. That's just not going to equal a championship.

The only way the Spurs can win it all is if they can get over 35MPG from Duncan, Splitter and Leonard, 38-40MPG from Parker and somewhere between 30 and 35MPG from Ginobili. I just don't see that happening.

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2013, 08:35 PM
I'm not a Spurs homer at all, as most people here can attest to, but I'm pretty confident that they will win the West, depending on Duncan/Manu's health(although there is a realistic chance that Ginobili will be hurt and Duncan will be worn out by May, tbh) and barring a 2012 Thunder/2002 Lakers officiating advantage..

This is the first time I've been confident in the Spurs since 2007..

I also believe that the Spurs are the only team in the NBA that could challenge Miami in a 7-game series, tbh..:lol at the "die-hard" fans that overanalyze and believe teams like OKC, Clippers, Indiana and Memphis could beat the Heat in the playoffs..

Reck
01-28-2013, 08:38 PM

Yep, Spurs have one too many playoff proven chokers on the team to have a legit shot.

DMC
01-29-2013, 12:14 AM
Last year Spur fans, Simmons, the advanced stats nerds ... even myself got swept up in the best passing team since the 86 celts hoopla ...and you guys do play the right way. Again the Pistons won like this. But even if you point to the Mavs ...it took Dirk having a Bird like season on offense (and Lebron to defer to Wade ...) for the Mavs to ring. With Lebron now clutch and the more aggressive KD I just dont see those teams being beat. Grizz and Clips though are just the type of teams for the Spurs to beat ... because I dont think their best player is CONSIDERABLY better than Parker & duncan.

Problem is Durant and Lebron are ... sure it's ateam game. But if a legit star is playing at an elite level, in their prime and they get some decent help they usually win. Not saying Spurs winning is impossible, just not likely. But at least your team is btter than mine. and the games are enjoyable to watch ... Spurs are far from boring and they win. Cant ask for more ...but I understand once you win titles ... regular season success means little. I can respect that.

I didn't get caught up in it and I was right about dem Spurs.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-29-2013, 01:17 AM
If the OKC bigs didn't hit 22/25 in game 5 we go to the Finals last year, and this year we have a BETTER team playing much better defence, and OKC have no Harden (who killed us at times with big shots and getting to the line).

I think we have a really good chance this year.

DJB
01-29-2013, 02:02 AM
Spurs have a chance this year, but tbh i see them having an even better chance NEXT year. With the main reasons being, more growth from Kawhi, and a possible offseason signing *cough* Al jefferson *cough* chris Kaman *cough* David West *cough*

Shut up ass clown. You sound like a Mavs fan.

Monkeyboy14
01-29-2013, 02:34 AM
Shut up ass clown. You sound like a Mavs fan.
Why? You actually have a reason behind that? Or are you just trying to get props from other posters for making fun of someone? You are pretty tough, TBH.

Monkeyboy14
01-29-2013, 02:38 AM
Yep, Spurs have one too many playoff proven chokers on the team to have a legit shot.
Who exactly are you talking about? Matt Bonner? Who is out of the ration. Tiago Splitter? Playing better than he has so far and in pops words "finally healthy." Danny Green? Ill give you that.. haha The point is, I dont think the spurs will win it all this year, but i dont think the reason will be players choking.

Sean Cagney
01-29-2013, 02:47 AM

Yes maybe from Bonner to BONNER!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. Green has one series yes, can he turn it around YES! I hope he can that is. Alot will have to go right for the Spurs to make that run, if not they are out in round two or WCF. Time will tell.

racm
01-29-2013, 03:21 AM
Green was invisible in the WCF but was very good in the prior two rounds, tbh.

That's just the thing with streaky shooters. Unlike Bowen his defense isn't as good so he can't be kept on the floor longer.

spursfan09
01-29-2013, 09:41 AM
Every year it seems like a "don't sleep on the Spurs" year, but what happens is that teams don't sleep on them, and the Spurs get exposed for the reg season team they are. I love the Spurs!! And yes they do have a chance, but role players tighten up and Spurs need a clutch super star to get over the hump.

Killakobe81
01-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Spurs best chance would be a OKC/MIA upset. I think Spurs would have a great title chance against any other team. Those are the only 2 guys that CONSITENTLY can just drop 30 efficiently and change the momentum at a moments notice. Spurs balance and coaching gives them an advantage over anyone else. But Durant and Lebron are different you can play them well and they can still beat you.

Spurs 4 The Win
01-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Spurs best chance would be a OKC/MIA upset. I think Spurs would have a great title chance against any other team. Those are the only 2 guys that CONSITENTLY can just drop 30 efficiently and change the momentum at a moments notice. Spurs balance and coaching gives them an advantage over anyone else. But Durant and Lebron are different you can play them well and they can still beat you.

Lets stop acting like the spurs control their own destiny (unless they shoot 15/20 from 3 every night) because the refs have been and will be the deciding factor for the spurs. If the refs called the games down the middle last year, spurs would have gone to the NBA finals. We will see if anything changes this year but I expect more of the same. Spurs are just going to have to play out of their minds to get past OKC/Miami.

TDMVPDPOY
01-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Lets stop acting like the spurs control their own destiny (unless they shoot 15/20 from 3 every night) because the refs have been and will be the deciding factor for the spurs. If the refs called the games down the middle last year, spurs would have gone to the NBA finals. We will see if anything changes this year but I expect more of the same. Spurs are just going to have to play out of their minds to get past OKC/Miami.

06 + 08 series comes to mind....lopsided calls

Killakobe81
01-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Come on now, some missed calls for sure but every team battles those. I hope your team is realisitic about their chances and not blaming the refs for losing. It's just like Laker fans whining in 2008 ...sometimes the other team is just better. Sure some calls go against you but usually the more aggressive team, the hime team and the stars get calls. If you have less star power, lose home games and are less aggressive on defense or offense the refs wont favor you.

But to hear some Spur fans tell it they are the only team that loses and win games 5 against 8 ...

Brunodf
01-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Come on now, some missed calls for sure but every team battles those. I hope your team is realisitic about their chances and not blaming the refs for losing. It's just like Laker fans whining in 2008 ...sometimes the other team is just better. Sure some calls go against you but usually the more aggressive team, the hime team and the stars get calls. If you have less star power, lose home games and are less aggressive on defense or offense the refs wont favor you.

But to hear some Spur fans tell it they are the only team that loses and win games 5 against 8 ...

Agree, Kings fans can tell it too.

jeebus
01-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Who says the Spurs are boring?

http://i.imgur.com/HMEukBo.gif

Killakobe81
01-29-2013, 11:36 PM
Agree, Kings fans can tell it too.

But that's my point Jazz fans claim MJ pushed off ...
Kings fans say they got bamboozled
Laker fans bitched in 2008 about Perks illegal screens and no calls against Kobe and Pau

In every case the better team won.

Mavs may have a case in 2005 but I still think Heat were better

timtonymanu
01-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Who says the Spurs are boring?

http://i.imgur.com/HMEukBo.gif

:cry classy layup :cry

Brunodf
05-28-2013, 03:41 PM

I told you

FkLA
05-28-2013, 05:02 PM
The majority of the spurs fanbase is a bunch of conservative pussies tbh.