PDA

View Full Version : a sort of early evaulation of the 2012 nba draft

antarescrane
01-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Well, that draft was supposed to be the best in recent years, but as it turns out so far, I have not found anybody to be particularly impressive. Sure, Unibrow is who we thought he was, and Lillard has been a very good starting point guard for the blazers. It's probably too early to judge, but what do you guys think? Was it the right decision to get rid of RJ for captain Jack and our pick? Well, I think it was, regardless of the circumstances, but in hindsight, if we had the pick, who do you think would have helped with the depth of this roster, perhaps Ezeli, or Meyers Leonard would have been a good addition?

dunkman
01-27-2013, 09:00 PM
The Spurs have made some mistakes that had cost many draft picks. Taking on RJ's contract, Butler, Malik's 7 seasons contract. But, RC and Pop have mostly done a good job.

TDMVPDPOY
01-27-2013, 09:20 PM
royce white is all you need to know about that draft class...

99 Problems
01-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Just of the top of my head. Excluding the guys mentioned. Barnes showing some quality, Beal looking ok, Drummond (very young) I like and could be very good, MKG nothing wrong with him, Sullinger steady.
i liked the look of servicesman James other day, lot of people here were keen on him in the draft thread. I'll think of a few more.

exstatic
01-27-2013, 09:23 PM
The Spurs have made some mistakes that had cost many draft picks. Taking on RJ's contract, Butler, Malik's 7 seasons contract. But, RC and Pop have mostly done a good job.

They do a DAMNED good job of getting out of them. The generally accepted value of a late first was $3M, the common amount of cash used to "buy" one by many teams in recent years. The Spurs got GS to pay RJ's next year's salary for one of those late first rounders. That's over $10M.

TDMVPDPOY
01-27-2013, 09:25 PM
most of these guys are on fodder farm teams anyway that will not pose any sort of threat to the spurs

racm
01-27-2013, 09:32 PM
They do a DAMNED good job of getting out of them. The generally accepted value of a late first was $3M, the common amount of cash used to "buy" one by many teams in recent years. The Spurs got GS to pay RJ's next year's salary for one of those late first rounders. That's over $10M.

And if the Spurs really thought a 2012 draftee was gonna make an impact they'd trade up or trade for a pick like they did for Leonard. Instead they brought in De Colo and Baynes.

And why is that so? Because the Spurs are getting enough production from all 5 positions on the court, as well as the fact that the rookie would have had to learn the system. De Colo and Baynes have the innate advantage of playing with Tony/Boris and playing for Brett Brown, respectively.

elemento
01-27-2013, 09:33 PM
I think the Pistons got a massive steal with Drummond with the 9th pick. Austin Rivers was a horrible pick by NOLA. Davis is good, but I don't see the KG/Duncan once in a lifetime prospect on him. Fat Morey screwed up big time taking Royce White in the 1st round.

and the Spurs trade was a massive steal for SA. Look at Jefferson now. And GS will have to pay him 11m next season

Captivus
01-27-2013, 09:34 PM
I want to add PJ3, shame he doesn't get playing time, he could another one of those future stars prospects.

racm
01-27-2013, 09:38 PM
I think the Pistons got a massive steal with Drummond with the 9th pick. Austin Rivers was a horrible pick by NOLA. Davis is good, but I don't see the KG/Duncan once in a lifetime prospect on him. Fat Morey screwed up big time taking Royce White in the 1st round.

and the Spurs trade was a massive steal for SA. Look at Jefferson now. And GS will have to pay him 11m next season

The 9th pick has traditionally been a great spot. 1997 had TMac. 1998 had Dirk. 1999 had Marion.

I want to add PJ3, shame he doesn't get playing time, he could another one of those future stars prospects.

Except he's not even tearing up the D-League, averages 14.7/7.0/1.3 on .44/.25/.61 shooting. Cory Joseph is a triple double machine in the D-League and he can't even get PT on the Spurs.

antarescrane
01-28-2013, 12:19 AM
How is Andre Drummond playing? I haven't seen him play much this season, but the stats look pretty nice though(with limited minutes).

chazley
01-28-2013, 12:29 AM
How is Andre Drummond playing? I haven't seen him play much this season, but the stats look pretty nice though(with limited minutes).

He is Javale McGee with a higher IQ. Oh yea, and he's only 19. Kid is going to be a star.

Mel_13
01-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Well, that draft was supposed to be the best in recent years, but as it turns out so far, I have not found anybody to be particularly impressive. Sure, Unibrow is who we thought he was, and Lillard has been a very good starting point guard for the blazers. It's probably too early to judge, but what do you guys think? Was it the right decision to get rid of RJ for captain Jack and our pick? Well, I think it was, regardless of the circumstances, but in hindsight, if we had the pick, who do you think would have helped with the depth of this roster, perhaps Ezeli, or Meyers Leonard would have been a good addition?

Leonard was the 11th pick.

Drom John
01-28-2013, 06:42 AM
2012 by WS, positive WS only, for those available at 30:
Jae Crowder
Jeff Taylor
Bernard James
Draymond Green
Festus Ezili
Quincy Acy
Kyle O'Quinn
Darius Miller
Mike Scott
Kim English
Orlando Johnson
Khris Middleton

Not drafting opened a space for De Colo (unless the draftee was to stay in Austin). Only Crowder is ahead of De Colo. De Colo is ahead of Crowder in WS/48.

Jackson outplayed Jefferson last year. Jefferson, while playing worse, is outplaying Jackson this year. Jackson is off the books this summer, Jefferson is not.
If we had Jefferson, I don't think we could afford Splitter next year.

Darkwaters
01-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Not drafting opened a space for De Colo (unless the draftee was to stay in Austin).

Seriously, why does nobody understand this very simple rule?

Assigning a player to a D-League team has no effect on the NBA roster. The player continues to count towards the maximum roster allowance of 15, and also receives his full NBA salary from his NBA team. He does also counts towards the roster maximum of the D-League team, but is not paid by them.