PDA

View Full Version : The French Connection

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 09:03 PM
In the past few days, timvp and I have established some connections in France that get to watch the Spurs' projects (Mahinmi and Sanikidze) on a regular basis as part of their work.

Here's just some feedback we've gotten on Mahinmi:

Ian Mahinmi is a tremendous potential. He was put on the map last summer thanks to his performance in the Under-18 European Championship. He showed very good things (especially in defense) in a limited playing time as he was Johan Petro's backup. This season he played with the first team of STB Le Havre (Pro A, first French Division). His offensive game is still raw and he needs to lift some weights but he is already efficient in defense thanks to his height. He is a very nice and polished man. But he is not soft and plays with aggressiveness. He signed his first pro contract this season and I think he needs to develop in Le Havre, close to his family.

timvp was also given a lot of pictures of Ian which he'll post in this thread. Throughout the season, we should get a lot of updates on the prospects' progress.

Solid D
07-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Good deal. Nice!

timvp
07-01-2005, 09:07 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/ian1.jpg
http://www.spurstalk.com/ian2.jpg
http://www.spurstalk.com/ian3.jpg
http://www.spurstalk.com/ian4.jpg
http://www.spurstalk.com/ian5.jpg

ShoogarBear
07-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Maybe those same connections can also give you the hookups on some excellent non-fly-containing Bordeauxs.

SequSpur
07-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Why leave him over there? Just bring him in and he can start practicing.

He obviously sucks.

ShoogarBear
07-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Hey, Sequ, who did you want the Spurs to draft?

SequSpur
07-01-2005, 09:37 PM
No one. They shoulda dumped it.

caspian
07-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Why leave him over there? Just bring him in and he can start practicing.

Cuz it's more beneficial to his development that he get attentive coaching and have a chance to play than to sit the bench with the Spurs right now.

SequSpur
07-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Disagree.

someone that big should be learning from Duncan, Muhammed and Rasho.

Combine those and you can come up with something better than French Fries.

danyel
07-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Sequ is a genious.

I wonder why has no one hired him as a basketball advicer yet.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Sequ, you know that when the Spurs drafted Manu they left him in Europe for 3 years to develop too. So it's not like players can't develop over there. If this kid was a year from being able to play in the NBA, then I'd say bring him over now too so that he could learn under Duncan. But he's not even close. He's 18 and very raw.

caspian
Disagree.

someone that big should be learning from Duncan, Muhammed and Rasho.

Combine those and you can come up with something better than French Fries.

That's not exactly how it works in practice for the "project" 4th-stringer. He's inordinately low on experience already (so I hear), he needs real game-time minutes...and lots of them.

smeagol
No one. They shoulda dumped it.
I give you . . . Grumpy!

Go Grumpy, go . . . Dopey, Bashful, Sneezy and the rest of the gang are waiting!

SequSpur
07-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Manu wasn't 6-10 going on 7 foot.

Summer Camp, Summer Camp, Preseason, IR for one season. Then he'll be fine.

They just don't want to pay him.

danyel
07-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Sequ is the biggest troll on this board...yeah thats right, he is a troll on the team he is "supposed" to root for board

Dre_7
07-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Sequ, you know that when the Spurs drafted Manu they left him in Europe for 3 years to develop too. So it's not like players can't develop over there. If this kid was a year from being able to play in the NBA, then I'd say bring him over now too so that he could learn under Duncan. But he's not even close. He's 18 and very raw.

Yeah, but Sequ thinks Manu sucks too, so not a good argument. :lol

mookie2001
07-01-2005, 09:51 PM
historically i own exactly half of connections
i wish yall would have checked with me beforehand

ive got perfection as a result of...

danyel
07-01-2005, 09:53 PM
thanks for proving my point Sequ

PS: Thats some sweet ceramic (tiles? not sure what the word is in english), thanks for the link, i'll see if I can get some.

Spurologist
07-02-2005, 03:38 AM
Did anyone notice that a total of 4 french players were drafted.

Gelebale
Petro
Turiaf (ok. he played for zags)
Mahinmi

Tony might have opened that door for frenchmen into the league. Don't ever remember this many frenchmen drated in the NBA draft.

milkyway21
07-02-2005, 03:49 AM
Sequ, you know that when the Spurs drafted Manu they left him in Europe for 3 years to develop too. So it's not like players can't develop over there. If this kid was a year from being able to play in the NBA, then I'd say bring him over now too so that he could learn under Duncan. But he's not even close. He's 18 and very raw.sooooo young. but he shld be here to learn the NBA moves early.i'm just hoping if the Spurs bring him in soon, i he won't turn to be another Darko.:cry, the Detroit Pistons' :fro mascot.

BTW, speaking of French connection, I read a column the other day that there's a parade in honor of Tony Parker scheduled in Franch for winning his 2nd ring.

Hope you could post some of the pictures here soon.

RobinsontoDuncan
07-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Kori, manu was playing in the italian leagues, which are by far the best leagues in europe, Ian is playing in the french leagues against no talent polish centers that "eat nails for dinner" which means all Ian is set to learn is how to be a no talent hack that just is a teams enforcer.

NameDropper
07-02-2005, 08:05 AM
Rumor has it Pop and R.C.'s knowledge of basketball towers over SequSpurs...not that it's difficult to do.

xcoriate
07-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Kori, manu was playing in the italian leagues, which are by far the best leagues in europe, Ian is playing in the french leagues against no talent polish centers that "eat nails for dinner" which means all Ian is set to learn is how to be a no talent hack that just is a teams enforcer.

Thats about the talent Ian has at the moment. His athletic..... and plays good D for his age. Currently he is an enforcer with less muscle, more quickness, and above average D.

Euro leagues are best suited for his development at the moment. Unless the Spurs see the new CBA farm team thing as a viable option.

Slo spurs fan
07-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Sorry my French pals, but your league sucks and Le Havre won't play in Euroleage. Le Havre isn't good enough even to compete in ULEB cup. He should come to San Antonio or be transfered to Spanish or Italian top 4 teams wich compete in Euroleague. Maybe team from Adriatic league could be good solution too.

Karl Mundt
07-02-2005, 10:44 AM

Italy does have more than one league (as do other European countries), but you do know only the first division is really any good. It is probably the best league in Europe, but the Spannish league is pretty good too, and the French league is probably only behind those two, the Greek league, the Adriatic league and the Turkish league, so it's not really that bad. But it doesn't matter anyway as long as he has good coaches at the club (which the Spurs claim he has) and he gets enough playing time. I don't know what his contract status is, but if he's gonna improve, he'll probably go to a better European club before coming to the states. The Spurs roster will probably be too good for the next couple of years for experimenting with draft picks, so i would say pretty confidently i doubt we will see Ian in San Antonio for at least 3 years.

strangeweather
07-02-2005, 12:14 PM
sooooo young. but he shld be here to learn the NBA moves early.i'm just hoping if the Spurs bring him in soon, i he won't turn to be another Darko.:cry, the Detroit Pistons' :fro mascot.

Exactly. If bringing guys over early to learn behind skilled post players but not get any PT were the ticket, Darko would be a monster by now.

Young players need to play, not just practice.

clubalien
07-02-2005, 12:26 PM
david robinson>tim duncan>david robinson reborn (ian)
man is God a spurs fan or what
the spurs keep getting the BEST big man and franchise COREs
build around david with a solid player like Sean elliot
build around duncan with a player like manu
and now our next inhireted dynasty is build around IAN with unknown secound huge star

timvp
07-04-2005, 01:24 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/ian6.jpg
http://www.spurstalk.com/ian7.jpg
http://www.spurstalk.com/ian8.jpg
http://www.spurstalk.com/ian8.jpg

manmen
07-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Cuz it's more beneficial to his development that he get attentive coaching and have a chance to play than to sit the bench with the Spurs right now.

Great point warming the bench doesn't help. Did warming the bench help Darko Milicic it worked for Manu, Luis Scola, and Tony don't rock the boat do what you know works.

hendrix
07-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Hey Kori, I guess Sequspur can be all the stupidly offensive that he wants, since you have to meet with him every now and then and is probably a good friend of yours.
It's not like I'm offended by all the stupidities he says... but he tries so hard to show how much a racist motherfucker he is... well... I'll stop now.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Sorry I didn't see it. I deleted it now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Horry For 3!
07-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Pretty good. Thats good that you have a source now that will give us progress on Ian. :)