PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss thread 2013

Fabbs
01-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Lets set some goals for what exactly the goals should be.
Pounds as we know only tell a fraction of the story. A person could be 200 pounds and 9 months later be 200 pounds and look and be completely different.

So i motion that perhaps more of a goal should be fat percentage vs muscle mass.
Inches? Lets leave that one optional.

I'm told on good source that as your fat percentage lowers, you burn fat at a faster rate. You'd think going from 36% fat to 30% would be way easier then going from 26% to 20%. Ain't so.

So lets be encouraging.

Fabbs
01-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Jan 27th today.
28% fat
33% muscle
214 lbs.
5'11"

Goals by end of 2013
18% fat
Muscle i need some input on what is a good muscle %
199 lbs

I've been swimming up a storm, but need to add aerobics. Swimmers I'm told the body in 75 degree water goes into fat storage mode. Great for muscle and toning, must add outside aerobics to burn fat.
I love to jog outdoors in green natural settings, but I've flirted with torn meniscus three times. Each time i escaped with only bruised meniscus, but jogging may be too much. I gave it whirl twice last week. Loved it, but knee was howling at me afterwords. Bicycle bores me to tears plus why do manufactures make mens bike seats in such an assinanine way. Elliptical is much better but i do have a mental block/whatever and have simply not been hitting the eliptical.

redzero
01-27-2013, 11:31 PM
How tall are you?

Lincoln
01-27-2013, 11:33 PM
28% body fat? Holy fuck

Lincoln
01-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Eat very lightly for 4 weeks, run on a treadmill or whatever for 30 minutes a day for 4 weeks and you'll lose weight fast

Lifting also burns calories too and will help shed some of that fat

Fabbs
01-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Eat very lightly for 4 weeks, run on a treadmill or whatever for 30 minutes a day for 4 weeks and you'll lose weight fast

Lifting also burns calories too and will help shed some of that fat
Thank you.
I have gone from Porky to tight before and i did it with as you mentioned diet, running and lifting.
A big obstacle now is i do not want to give up swimming, pretty much hooked on it. But i think some lifting should be incorporated.
Also stretching. I've got the charts from a yoga-phys-ed expert but just have not been doing it.

Treadmill/eliptical i just need to do it.

Lincoln
01-27-2013, 11:47 PM
Yea cardio is the most boring part, machines I lose interest very fast. I prefer just running outside with a route planned and a runnin app. Elliptical is nice on your knees though if that's a problem.

But yeah it's just basically burn more calories than you consume, stay away from fatty foods. If you HAVE to cheat, cheat in the morning one day a week so you can hopefully burn it off. And yeah swimming is great for you, it works every muscle and your heart as well.

My problem is gainin weight and puttin on muscle mass. I've kinda plateaued this past month so I'm looking into some workout supplements

Lincoln
01-27-2013, 11:49 PM
And by judging from your height and weight alone, if u can get down to like 190-195 you'll look good no homo. You have some muscle already, just needa burn that fat off to show it off tbh

AussieFanKurt
01-28-2013, 01:07 AM
Gotta burn more calories than you ingest over 48 hr period. Best way to burn calories and continue to even after you finish exercise is short fast stints. So do 30 seconds of fast skipping then brief rest then once again hard out. I hear that just running on treadmill at a consistent speed for ages isn't as good as doing hard out exercise for a short time then an even shorter rest then continue and continue

GoodOdor
01-28-2013, 01:59 AM
153.6 right now, down from 157 a week ago - my goal this time is to get in the best shape
in my life and start playing competitive tennis/soccer again.

My plan - hate going to the gym, so I'm just gonna play as much soccer/tennis as I can. I have 2 guaranteed soccer games a week+anywhere from
1 to 3 tennis games.

My food plan - cereal for breakfast, a healthy lunch(we have an in house chef at work), no sodas. 1 day a week where I can eat/drink whatever I want though.

LkrFan
01-28-2013, 04:27 AM
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii70/HowieStooksbury/weird-fat-man-eating-burger.jpg

^ This u Fabbs tbqh? :lol

The Reckoning
01-28-2013, 05:01 AM
imo only eat when youre hungry. eat a shitload of grain for breakfast, go to the gym 3 times a week and do weight training. in the off days run sprints.

i work with 4 sets of 6 reps on bench, 3 sets of 15 reps leg press, 3 sets of 30 reps calf raises, 4 sets of 8 reps hammer curls, 4 sets 6 reps of incline and 2 sets of 30 reps each side of the arm with forearm lifts. after that i do 2-3 sets of 100 bicycle kicks.

its a 35 min workout and ive gotten the most out of it. plus it's easy.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Thank you.
I have gone from Porky to tight before and i did it with as you mentioned diet, running and lifting.
A big obstacle now is i do not want to give up swimming, pretty much hooked on it. But i think some lifting should be incorporated.
Also stretching. I've got the charts from a yoga-phys-ed expert but just have not been doing it.

Treadmill/eliptical i just need to do it.
If you're swimming on a regular basis why give that up? That's better cardio than you'll get on a treadmill/eliptical.

BUMP
01-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Yeah srsly I don't know why you'd give up swimming/running outdoors for the elliptical.

Not to sound ignorant but i don't see what the difference between an elliptical and just lying down moving your feet in the air really is

mrsmaalox
01-28-2013, 10:52 AM
The elliptical is better than running if you need to do something with less joint impact; but swimming is the ultimate in low impact so you should stick with that. It is supposed to be the perfect exercise.

leemajors
01-28-2013, 10:53 AM
yeah swimming is a whole body activity, much better than running.

Bynumite
01-28-2013, 11:12 AM
28% body fat and your fat whale girlfriend still looks huge next to you? Damn, she really is a whale :lol

manufan10
01-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Are you taking any supplements? I use Super HD by Cellucor. I went from 218 to 195 while using it.

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2013, 12:03 PM
If you're going to be working out/exercising consistently, figure out your maintenance calories..Find a maintenance calorie calculator online and imput your stats, it will indicate your maintenance calories..Take that number and subtract 20% off the total and that will provide you with the number of calories you should be eating per day..that should help you preserve muscle and avoid the "skinny fat" look, if you continue to lose weight..

Honestly, you'll see immediate results by simply cutting off shitty food and working out on a consistent basis..a strict diet will be essential once you're nearing your goal though, since the last few %s of body fat are difficult to shed..

I've never surpassed 20% body fat, but I felt fat once I reached 20, constantly eating shitty food and frequently drinking full 26s..I'm at 190 12% now, but my diet was strict as fuck, and it gets annoying having to watch what you eat, tbh..it's very difficult and you'll probably have many setbacks..

Trainwreck2100
01-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Yeah srsly I don't know why you'd give up swimming/running outdoors for the elliptical.

Not to sound ignorant but i don't see what the difference between an elliptical and just lying down moving your feet in the air really is

Actually lying down and moving your feet in the air for 30 minutes would be a killer core workout

DeadlyDynasty
01-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Diet and exercise work. Crazy, I know.

Trainwreck2100
01-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Diet and exercise work. Crazy, I know.

Dat physics, also I go here for motivation, it reminds me why I despise fat women

http://thisisthinprivilege.tumblr.com/

DeadlyDynasty
01-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Dat physics, also I go here for motivation, it reminds me why I despise fat women

http://thisisthinprivilege.tumblr.com/

crofl good read

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Actually lying down and moving your feet in the air for 30 minutes would be a killer core workout

:lol that's what I was thinking. Lying down and moving your feet in the air would be a much harder workout than the eliptical machine.

CosmicCowboy
01-28-2013, 05:39 PM
I lost 20 pounds just switching from beer to vodka.

Bynumite
01-28-2013, 06:18 PM
I lost 20 pounds just switching from beer to vodka.

That's just the alcohol shrinking your liver, not actual body fat loss :lol

Fabbs
01-28-2013, 06:44 PM
What your take on Dr. Al Sears PACE concept?
Increase Your Exercise Benefits by Ditching Traditional Aerobic Cardio
Cliffnotes are:
The major change is that once or twice a week you do Peak Fitness exercises, in which you raise your heart rate up to your anaerobic threshold for 20 to 30 seconds, and then you recover for 90 seconds.

You would repeat this cycle for a total of eight repetitions. These cycles are preceded by a three minute warm up and two minute cool down so the total time investment is about 20 minutes.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/06/26/10-minutes-of-exercise-yields-hourlong-effects.aspx
Dr Mercola is one of Sears main honks

Drachen
01-28-2013, 06:46 PM
How do you check your body fat percentage/muscle percentage?

Last year I lost 40 lbs from middle march to early July. All I did was ride my bike a lot (maxing out at about 50 MPW) and ate about 2000 calories per day. I wavered after that because I went to the coast and didn't count calories. I slowly backslid after that and am at the point where I am still eating the healthier choices I had instituted, but am not paying attention to portion and have all but quit riding my bike. As a result I have gained 20 lbs back and am at 221. I am 5'10" with a barrel chested build. My goal is 185. I started to ease myself back into it last week Tuesday and am going back to 2000 calories this week (tomorrow). I will pick riding back up this week too.

Fabbs
01-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Working example of PACE/Peak workout. They claim you get much more in much less time. Below is all their quote, exerpt from link above:

Here's what a typical Peak Fitness routine might look like using a recumbent bike:

1. Warm up for three minutes
2. Exercise as hard and fast as you can for 30 seconds. You should feel like you couldn't possibly go on another few seconds
3. Recover for 90 seconds
4. Repeat the high intensity exercise and recovery 7 more times

Be mindful of your current fitness level and don't overdo it when you first start out.

If you are not in great shape and just starting this you may want to start with just two or three repetitions, and work your way up to eight, which is where the magic really starts to happen. You may need to start with just walking and when you do your 30 second bursts your legs would be moving as fast as possible without running - and your arms would be pumping hard and fast.

Bynumite
01-28-2013, 06:58 PM
You guys talk too much, it ain't rocket science.

Eat right, cardio, a good night's sleep and repeat.

Now hit the treadmill Faggs, you lazy fatfuck.

ashbeeigh
01-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Be careful with just running. I've hit a mega plateau (like a year without any weight loss but eating the same that I was when I was losing weight) because I started running at least 15 mpw. I feel a ton better but I gained muscle instead of losing weight. I still need to lose a good twenty pounds to feel accomplished.

Fabbs
01-28-2013, 08:21 PM
fat %? ^^

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-28-2013, 09:31 PM
What your take on Dr. Al Sears PACE concept?
Increase Your Exercise Benefits by Ditching Traditional Aerobic Cardio
Cliffnotes are:
The major change is that once or twice a week you do Peak Fitness exercises, in which you raise your heart rate up to your anaerobic threshold for 20 to 30 seconds, and then you recover for 90 seconds.

You would repeat this cycle for a total of eight repetitions. These cycles are preceded by a three minute warm up and two minute cool down so the total time investment is about 20 minutes.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/06/26/10-minutes-of-exercise-yields-hourlong-effects.aspx
Dr Mercola is one of Sears main honks

If you wanna do something like this and have $120 get the insanity videos. I'm on week 3 right now (stopped and started like 4 or 5 times but this time I'm a lot more focused and don't have as much of a workload at school). It's a 60 day program and roughly 40 minutes a day. You get Sundays off.

No joke, you'll notice a difference in your body within the first week. That's not an exageration at all, it's really unlike any cardio workout I've ever done before. You'll feel completely pathetic after the first few days but by week 2 you'll get in the swing of it and it'll go smoother. If you do get in the swing of it then the good news is you quit your gym and save the $120 you spent and then some.

I. Hustle
01-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Does anyone here own the nike fuel band? Do you be liking it?

mrsmaalox
01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Does anyone here own the nike fuel band? Do you be liking it?

I haven't heard much about it. But I just ordered a Fitbit, came highly recommended, so I'll let you know how it is. I've got the last 10lbs to go.....http://www.fitbit.com/home

I. Hustle
01-30-2013, 12:09 PM
I haven't heard much about it. But I just ordered a Fitbit, came highly recommended, so I'll let you know how it is. I've got the last 10lbs to go.....http://www.fitbit.com/home

Yeah let me know about that one too. The only reason I thought of the nike was was because it is something I can wear all day and track how I am doing.

leemajors
01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
with the fitbit you don't have to deal with nike's shitty software.

GoodOdor
01-30-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm competing against my boss and coworker with my fit bit....the coworker already lost his, but my boss averages 16k steps a day....hard to beat:depressed

I. Hustle
01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
So fitbit is legit?
Does it do the same shit?
Can I go on a run with it?
How long does it last before it quits?
Does it count when you stand or sit?

mrsmaalox
01-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Yes you can wear the Fitbit all the time; it doesn't quit, even tracks your sleep patterns.

manufan10
01-30-2013, 12:44 PM
What are the benefits of the Nike Fuel Band or the Fitbit? I don't like to spend money, so I'm curious if it's worth shelling out the money to purchase.

GoodOdor
01-30-2013, 12:47 PM
What are the benefits of the Nike Fuel Band or the Fitbit? I don't like to spend money, so I'm curious if it's worth shelling out the money to purchase.

Gives a bit of motivation, especially if you know other people who use it and can add them as friends and then compete against them.

From personal experience, I end up walking/exercising more than I would have otherwise - if I see I'm at 13k steps, I tell myself I want to make it 15, etc.

I. Hustle
01-30-2013, 01:18 PM

I'm with you brutha. That's the reason I am asking. I am a tightwad when it comes to getting stuff for myself.

leemajors
01-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Here's how much I rode last year:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb64/beestrofowler/bike2012_zps5cc8a6e8.jpg

I'm trying for over 5600 this year.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-30-2013, 05:36 PM

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb64/beestrofowler/bike2012_zps5cc8a6e8.jpg

:lol why the low number in March and April? Wouldn't that be the best time to be biking during the year :lol

I. Hustle
01-30-2013, 05:39 PM
YEAH! LOL low numbers

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
YEAH! LOL low numbers
Compared to the rest of the year they were low, I just found it odd since they're the best months of the year weather wise.

leemajors
01-30-2013, 05:46 PM
:lol why the low number in March and April? Wouldn't that be the best time to be biking during the year :lol

I fucked my ankle up on my bike in April, spoke busted and my rear wheel nearly came off. I was out of commission for two weeks. I think it may have rained a lot in March. I also made my route a lot longer after my accident, went from 16 miles a day during the week to 22.

ashbeeigh
01-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Well you did a good job of hiding your username at the top, but you missed it at the side.

leemajors
01-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Well you did a good job of hiding your username at the top, but you missed it at the side.

it's wrong there, so I left it.

manufan10
01-30-2013, 10:14 PM
A little motivation for all of you:

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/blog/files/2013/01/nipples.jpg

Don't get manboobs. :lol

Fabbs
02-04-2013, 09:41 PM
And by judging from your height and weight alone, if u can get down to like 190-195 you'll look good no homo. You have some muscle already, just needa burn that fat off to show it off tbh
If i get down to 190-195 with 9% fat again the fights between Chump and Cucking Funt over me will be epic.

Fabbs
02-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Dry roasted no salt almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds etc.
Evil or good stuff?
In small amounts i know they are good. The problem is who the _ _ _ _ can eat only small amounts of these? I'd rather avoid but i get them shoved at me a lot.

Okay, i have not purchased the ellipitical -yet.
We have a field close by that has been as green and scenic as the fields of Ireland with the rainfall.
One huge opening in it has what's like a golf fairway and it goes downhill/uphill at about a 12% grade.
So, wearing my Tim Dunkar knee brace, I've been walking down the fairway 100 yards then jogging back up. Keeping impact minimal, swinging my arms to involve the heart more and also take some heat off the knees. Been doing 30 minutes 3Xs a week. Still swimiming.
Work has been a super stressor so diet has been good and bad.
I'll be happy if i break even at next weigh in.

Fabbs
02-17-2013, 07:30 PM
How do you check your body fat percentage/muscle percentage?
I simply using this Taylor brand scale for now:
http://www.taylorusa.com/weight-management/bmi-scales/homedicsandreg-digital-family-bmi-bath-scale.html
http://www.taylorusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/S/C/SC-465_detail.jpg

Not sure how accurate it is.
ST Posters what is the best reasonable way?
Mrs M can that gizmo you and DOK use measure fat and BMI? If so, how accurately?
I can catch the Trainer at the gym. They are always jonesing to get one to buy their services. Offering a free assesment in hopes of hooking. I can see what method they use.

FkLA
02-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Body fat percentage shouldnt even be on your mind until youre under like 15% and trying to get abs. If you really want to know though try bodybuilding.com theres a huge thread dedicated to it...its just an eyeball test but pretty accurate. No point in wasting money on a device to get an exact measurement if youre still a fatty.

FkLA
02-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Be careful with just running. I've hit a mega plateau (like a year without any weight loss but eating the same that I was when I was losing weight) because I started running at least 15 mpw. I feel a ton better but I gained muscle instead of losing weight. I still need to lose a good twenty pounds to feel accomplished.

Youre doing it wrong baby girl. You need to increase your excercise or decrease your calorie intake if youre plateauing, you cant expect to keep losing weight at the same pace (or at all) as you get thinner unless you change your routine. You cant gain muscle on a caloric deficit either.

FkLA
02-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Going to jump in on this thread too if you dont mind Fabbs. Gonna post weight later on tonight along with weekly updates. Gonna show you niggas how its done tbh.

Fabbs
02-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Going to jump in on this thread too if you dont mind Fabbs.
Of course i don't mind. This thread is all about support.
Could you tell me which thread on on Bodybuilding.com has the fat % device goods? Too many sections look thru, i tried.
For me i am in a contest and accurate fatty % is going to matter.

FkLA
02-17-2013, 09:43 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147321393&page=89

Its just a thread though not a device. You post your pic and people give you an estimate based on them, its people that are in great shape and know what theyre doing though. Lots of good info in that Losing Fat section too if you look around.

ashbeeigh
02-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Youre doing it wrong baby girl. You need to increase your excercise or decrease your calorie intake if youre plateauing, you cant expect to keep losing weight at the same pace (or at all) as you get thinner unless you change your routine. You cant gain muscle on a caloric deficit either.

Yes. Thanks for telling me something i didn't know about.

FkLA
02-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Yes. Thanks for telling me something i didn't know about.

Damn why you gotta be all feisty, ash? You didnt know that and I was just trying to help you out tbh.

mavs>spurs
02-17-2013, 11:49 PM
yeah ashbeigh just chill out and tits out

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Going to jump in on this thread too if you dont mind Fabbs. Gonna post weight later on tonight along with weekly updates. Gonna show you niggas how its done tbh.
Remember when you posted a pic of someone's torso that appeared to be toned and said it was yours :lol

Guess that was a lie :lmao

FkLA
02-18-2013, 12:52 AM
:lol

That wasnt me tbh. The other pic I posted was me though, huge difference in the torso length...the toned one was a little hobbits torso. Dont know how yall didnt pick up on that tbh. This is me or atleast it was before I used trying to go on a bulk as an excuse to get lazy and fat as shit, gonna try to get close to that then try to bulk successfully this time...

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg407/scaled.php?server=407&filename=777yq.jpg&res=landing

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/5251/12345vk.jpg

2/17/13-- 228 lbs

GoodOdor
02-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Lost some more weight this week, body looking good. Basically just eat well 6 days a week(no sodas, try not to eat too many carbs) plus play sports at least 3 days a week. Do at least 100 push ups a day. Friday is the day I eat whatever the fuck I want.

Next step is basically start lifting weights - but I hate doing that, so I"m gonna see if I can hold off for a couple more weeks and just do push ups/sit ups + exercise and see how far that gets me.

cantthinkofanything
02-18-2013, 01:38 AM
Lost 21 pounds in 4 weeks. 15 more to go.

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-18-2013, 09:54 AM
:lol

That wasnt me tbh. The other pic I posted was me though, huge difference in the torso length...the toned one was a little hobbits torso. Dont know how yall didnt pick up on that tbh. This is me or atleast it was before I used trying to go on a bulk as an excuse to get lazy and fat as shit, gonna try to get close to that then try to bulk successfully this time...

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg407/scaled.php?server=407&filename=777yq.jpg&res=landing

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/5251/12345vk.jpg

2/17/13-- 228 lbs
I'm pretty sure m>s's words were that was the torso of a Mexican hobbit :lol

I give you a lot of props for admitting a plan to "bulk up!" was an excuse to get lazy and fat, the fact you're willing to admit it is something I've literally never seen from the countless people who used "I wanna add muscle!" as an excuse to eat tons of red meat and stop doing cardio.

As for me, I'm 4 weeks into Insanity but I'm going to redo last week so basically 3 weeks in. I've lost prolly 15 pounds so far but need to improve my diet to get where I want to be by May. The workouts do get more intense after 5 weeks, but if I want the kind of results they advertise I need to keep cutting down on starches and carbs with a diet consisting almost completely of vegetables and lean meats. I've gotten a lot better at it the last few days sticking to the 5 300-400 calorie plan with a serving of vegetables or fruit in every meal.

Normally this is around when I get sidetracked with other shit, but I've already accepted a job offer and this semester isn't too bad school wise so I have no excuses. Insanity is good because it's the most intense cardio you'll ever do while it only takes ~40 minutes a day and doesn't require any equipment. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's busy and has never been really into fitness. After just a few weeks you'll notice improved lung capacity, improved flexibility, and most notably improved speed/leaping ability.

mrsmaalox
02-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Not sure how accurate it is.
ST Posters what is the best reasonable way?
Mrs M can that gizmo you and DOK use measure fat and BMI? If so, how accurately?
I can catch the Trainer at the gym. They are always jonesing to get one to buy their services. Offering a free assesment in hopes of hooking. I can see what method they use.

I just use one of the online calculators where you plug in age, height, weight, and waist measurement. For a female my age the norm is 23-34% body fat and I am smack dab in the middle, I'd like to lower that a little, but generally I'm very pleased with where I am.

The Fitbit doesn't calculate that stuff but there is a pricey wifi scale that pairs with it but I'm not interested cuz I only weigh once a week anyway.

mrsmaalox
02-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Dry roasted no salt almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds etc.
Evil or good stuff?
In small amounts i know they are good. The problem is who the _ _ _ _ can eat only small amounts of these? I'd rather avoid but i get them shoved at me a lot.

Okay, i have not purchased the ellipitical -yet.
We have a field close by that has been as green and scenic as the fields of Ireland with the rainfall.
One huge opening in it has what's like a golf fairway and it goes downhill/uphill at about a 12% grade.
So, wearing my Tim Dunkar knee brace, I've been walking down the fairway 100 yards then jogging back up. Keeping impact minimal, swinging my arms to involve the heart more and also take some heat off the knees. Been doing 30 minutes 3Xs a week. Still swimiming.
Work has been a super stressor so diet has been good and bad.
I'll be happy if i break even at next weigh in.

A little late but.....I think the nuts are a good idea, especially for a quick after run snack. I have a real difficult time determining when and what to eat before and after exercise because I prefer to run empty and a lot of times I'm just not hungry. My general strategy in my quest for improved fitness has been portion control. I don't want to give up any foods so I just eat less of what I'd normally eat. Of course snacking is minimal and when I do snack it's fruit or yogurt or nuts. I'm an emotional eater so I overeat or undereat depending on my mood; I've found that keeping an apple near me at all times really helps. When I get the urge, I go for my apple first and then decide if I'm hungry or just wanting to stick something in my piehole. If I'm not hungry enough to eat an apple, then I'm really not hungry.

leemajors
02-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Tim Ferris has a lot of good nutritional advice for burning fat in the 4 Hour Body.

TheRealCB
02-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Unless we're talking about losing 50 lbs or something like that,just stopping eating junk/drinking sodas and exercising 3 times a week is enough imo.Keep it simple,and have a routine that you can follow for the rest of your life.Otherwise if you go really hard on yourself you'll get tired eventually and go back to your old habits.

FkLA
02-18-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm pretty sure m>s's words were that was the torso of a Mexican hobbit :lol

I give you a lot of props for admitting a plan to "bulk up!" was an excuse to get lazy and fat, the fact you're willing to admit it is something I've literally never seen from the countless people who used "I wanna add muscle!" as an excuse to eat tons of red meat and stop doing cardio.

As for me, I'm 4 weeks into Insanity but I'm going to redo last week so basically 3 weeks in. I've lost prolly 15 pounds so far but need to improve my diet to get where I want to be by May. The workouts do get more intense after 5 weeks, but if I want the kind of results they advertise I need to keep cutting down on starches and carbs with a diet consisting almost completely of vegetables and lean meats. I've gotten a lot better at it the last few days sticking to the 5 300-400 calorie plan with a serving of vegetables or fruit in every meal.

Normally this is around when I get sidetracked with other shit, but I've already accepted a job offer and this semester isn't too bad school wise so I have no excuses. Insanity is good because it's the most intense cardio you'll ever do while it only takes ~40 minutes a day and doesn't require any equipment. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's busy and has never been really into fitness. After just a few weeks you'll notice improved lung capacity, improved flexibility, and most notably improved speed/leaping ability.

You download insanity somewhere or purchased it? I know its worth it but Ive just never been willing to dish out the $100+ on it when I know I could drop weight with other methods. Ive heard there are sites where you can download it but never had luck finding them tbh.

mrsmaalox
02-18-2013, 04:58 PM

Are you eating more than 800 calories yet? Do you have enough energy to exercise?

I. Hustle
02-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Are you eating more than 800 calories yet? Do you have enough energy to exercise?

I can't imagine 800 calories. I am pushing it by only eating 1600. Even that is really low.

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-18-2013, 05:09 PM
You download insanity somewhere or purchased it? I know its worth it but Ive just never been willing to dish out the $100+ on it when I know I could drop weight with other methods. Ive heard there are sites where you can download it but never had luck finding them tbh.

I bought it but took awhile before I got fully into it and now I'm finally getting my money's worth. It's worth it if you know ahead of time that you'll feel out of shape and in over your head the first time you do it.

I've also lost weight using other methods before, but that was when I had more spare time and a job that was an automatic 3-4 hours of good exercise every day. The big selling point for me with insanity is I know it's only 40 minutes a day to get a great workout.

cantthinkofanything
02-18-2013, 05:10 PM

Hell no but it's really the lack of time more than lack of energy. Actually, it's not all that bad. The appetite suppressant makes things tolerable for most of the day and does provide a good bit of energy until late afternoon. I usually supplement with a few cans of Monster Zero.

I have to force myself to eat even 800 calories most days.

Drachen
02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
So, if you need extra motivation you can win 150 dollars for losing 10% of your weight in 6 months.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5853134-Get-paid-150-to-lose-10-of-your-body-weight-in-6-month-challenge-Additional-20-for-Slickdeals-readers-at-Healthywage-com?

manufan10
02-20-2013, 04:17 PM
A little late but.....I think the nuts are a good idea, especially for a quick after run snack. I have a real difficult time determining when and what to eat before and after exercise because I prefer to run empty and a lot of times I'm just not hungry. My general strategy in my quest for improved fitness has been portion control. I don't want to give up any foods so I just eat less of what I'd normally eat. Of course snacking is minimal and when I do snack it's fruit or yogurt or nuts. I'm an emotional eater so I overeat or undereat depending on my mood; I've found that keeping an apple near me at all times really helps. When I get the urge, I go for my apple first and then decide if I'm hungry or just wanting to stick something in my piehole. If I'm not hungry enough to eat an apple, then I'm really not hungry.

That's what I'm doing as well.

I've gone from 218 last year to 185 today. I just started doing a combo of working out at the gym 3 days out of the week and doing Insanity on 3 other days. I don't do anything heavy at the gym. I do 30 minutes of cardio and then 30 minutes of light lifting. So far I'm liking what I'm seeing. I'm still not quite where I want to be, but I'm a lot closer than I was last year.

TDMVPDPOY
02-25-2013, 06:59 PM
man seriously they tell you to eat healthy food per servings, but those servings dont fill you up...sometimes i eat more servings just to fill me up...

slacker77
02-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Hey Cantthinkofanything.Just curious,but do you get you blood pressure checked on the reg?One think I forgot to mention,when my aunt did same diet you're doing was that hers went up to around 144-150ish.Which coincides with that "buzz" you said you get.

ashbeeigh
02-25-2013, 07:46 PM
man seriously they tell you to eat healthy food per servings, but those servings dont fill you up...sometimes i eat more servings just to fill me up...

Are you drinking the recommended amount of water daily? A lot of times the sense of hunger is really thirst,

spursncowboys
02-25-2013, 07:57 PM
You can always fill up on vegetables.

TDMVPDPOY
02-25-2013, 08:22 PM
You can always fill up on vegetables.

alot of potatoes and green vegies still dont fill me up...
ashbeeigh
im not a water person let alone drinking the recommended 6-8 glasses a day, most of the drinks on my table are either half full ranging from different types of bottled flavor drinks....

i dont cook, parents are away on family trip
so far this past fkn month has been pies, fries, nuggets and sausage rolls, let alone the occasional bbq at friends places....vegies here and there, salad side every meal...oh yeh pau pau just make it come in and come out faster :D:D

ashbeeigh
02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
ashbeeigh
im not a water person let alone drinking the recommended 6-8 glasses a day, most of the drinks on my table are either half full ranging from different types of bottled flavor drinks....

so far this past fkn month has been pies, fries, nuggets and sausage rolls, let alone the occasional bbq at friends places....vegies here and there, salad side every meal...oh yeh pau pau just make it come in and come out faster :D:D

IT doesn't matter if you're a water person or not. You need it. Try fiber-y stuff like trail mix and nuts to fill you up too.

spursncowboys
02-25-2013, 09:03 PM
ashbeeigh (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2511)

Not potatoes. But greens and carrots. 2/3 of your meal. Then baby carrots or cucumbers for snacks.
But if you're trying to only lose 10 lbs, you could always cut out high fructose corn syrup. You could lose that in as early as a week.

But it sounds like you have an extremely terrible diet. You should just slowly cut it back to two days a week of fried foods. One day a week of dessert. Good luck :toast

Fabbs
02-25-2013, 09:09 PM
possible sprained ankle or worse. :depressed

And i don't know which movement caused it. It is delayed onset.

ashbeeigh
02-25-2013, 09:57 PM
possible sprained ankle or worse. :depressed

RICE and Advil. I was out for a week earlier this month with an icky sinus infection...all after being out a week earlier in January because of a sprained toe. But you'll be alright!

cantthinkofanything
02-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Hey Cantthinkofanything.Just curious,but do you get you blood pressure checked on the reg?One think I forgot to mention,when my aunt did same diet you're doing was that hers went up to around 144-150ish.Which coincides with that "buzz" you said you get.

Yes. They only give me a prescription for 1 week's worth of suppressants. I have to go back one a week and they take blood pressure, run pulseox, take temp, and weigh. My bp has remained normal with no change so far. I'm assuming that if it got out of whack, they'd quit writing the scripts. Hoping to be done in another month. I'm a little concerned about coming off the meds though.

Fabbs
02-26-2013, 09:55 AM
So, if you need extra motivation you can win 150 dollars for losing 10% of your weight in 6 months.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5853134-Get-paid-150-to-lose-10-of-your-body-weight-in-6-month-challenge-Additional-20-for-Slickdeals-readers-at-Healthywage-com?
Holy Batjuice!
And "up to $1,000 for BMI"...
Can we get for-a-fact verification on this?
As in a ST member or someone they know actually collecting the dough.
Damn i wish i knew about this 6 months ago. I would have cleaned up.

TDMVPDPOY
02-26-2013, 11:25 PM
just had 2 pies and a few nuggets for breakfast with sour cream

dad comes home with half a pot of beef casserole some chinese clown made it, not sure about the meat if its rodent or horse :D:D

lol that urge to stop eating these delicious shit....and we were planning to make beef casserole this weekend to last 3 days...

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-27-2013, 12:42 AM
I thought people in Australia were known for being really healthy?

TDMVPDPOY
02-27-2013, 03:16 AM
I thought people in Australia were known for being really healthy?

aus is not that far behind on the scale of fat shits of the world, just behind you guys by 1...

manufan10
03-05-2013, 12:09 PM
I wonder if this is too good to be true:

http://www.indiegogo.com/amiigo

http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2013/01/16/7ad5c7469d00f6631481c93163d82333_large_610x343.jpg %3F1357191787

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/321/729/f8a53f2f89a5d2d4fc7abf0ad9108466_large.png?1357003 119

The Amiigo (http://www.indiegogo.com/amiigo) can automatically identify more than 100 activities with custom algorithms.
Amiigo is a waterproof bracelet and shoe clip that not only counts how many bicep curls or golf swings you do, but monitors your heart rate, blood oxygen levels, skin temperature, activity level, and the number of calories burned, according to the gadget's crowdfunding campaign (http://www.indiegogo.com/amiigo) on Indiegogo.
Sensors and machine-learning algorithms identify the exercise you're performing, and store the data in the device before uploading it to your mobile device. The tech can discriminate between running on the treadmill, for instance, and exercising on an elliptical machine.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57564368-1/amiigo-fitness-bracelet-knows-what-exercise-youre-doing/

cantthinkofanything
03-05-2013, 12:13 PM

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57564368-1/amiigo-fitness-bracelet-knows-what-exercise-youre-doing/

shit...that's pretty cool. not bad looking either.

mrsmaalox
03-05-2013, 12:19 PM
All those gadgets work. But I think they can get real complicated and expensive. I prefer to keep it simple; there's probably a lot of features on that thing that I'd never use and some info (blood oxygen levels??) that would be helpful to Usain Bolt, but not to me on my 5Ks.

I. Hustle
03-05-2013, 12:19 PM
just had 2 pies and a few nuggets for breakfast with sour cream

dad comes home with half a pot of beef casserole some chinese clown made it, not sure about the meat if its rodent or horse :D:D

lol that urge to stop eating these delicious shit....and we were planning to make beef casserole this weekend to last 3 days...

WTF are you talking about? You had pies? Two of them? Nuggets with sour cream? WTF is that? Beef casserole?

Aussies are f'n disgusting human beings.

DUNCANownsKOBE
03-05-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't think that's an Australian thing :lol, the poster you're quoting is just one weird motherfucker

mrsmaalox
03-05-2013, 12:48 PM
I don't think that's an Australian thing :lol, the poster you're quoting is just one weird motherfucker

Word :lol

Fabbs
03-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Fabbs
possible sprained ankle or worse.

RICE and Advil. I was out for a week earlier this month with an icky sinus infection...all after being out a week earlier in January because of a sprained toe. But you'll be alright!
Had to play the insurance game for a while, finally got sick of that *&^ and went to great sports doc today as the sprain kept lingering.
It's a joint in the ankle. Had treatment today, one more on Wednesday.
I am now officially on the hunt for an elliptical.

Prior to the ankle i was about to post
214 to 211 pounds
28.7 to 28.1 body fatty

Fabbs
08-14-2013, 09:41 PM
chlorogenic acid extracted from uncooked green coffee beans.
One of the latest fat burning hyped products.

I'm not trying it but has anyone?
Jury is still out on it despite what Dr. Oz and all the hucksters proclaim.

Rogue
08-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Classic thread imho, would recommend it to my goddess Scarlett if she also had an account here.

Fabbs
08-14-2013, 10:56 PM
153.6 right now, down from 157 a week ago - my goal this time is to get in the best shape
in my life and start playing competitive tennis/soccer again.

My plan - hate going to the gym, so I'm just gonna play as much soccer/tennis as I can. I have 2 guaranteed soccer games a week+anywhere from
1 to 3 tennis games.

My food plan - cereal for breakfast, a healthy lunch(we have an in house chef at work), no sodas. 1 day a week where I can eat/drink whatever I want though.

quit riding my bike. As a result I have gained 20 lbs back and am at 221. I am 5'10" with a barrel chested build. My goal is 185. I started to ease myself back into it last week Tuesday and am going back to 2000 calories this week (tomorrow). I will pick riding back up this week too.

the insanity videos. I'm on week 3 right now (stopped and started like 4 or 5 times but this time I'm a lot more focused and don't have as much of a workload at school). It's a 60 day program and roughly 40 minutes a day. You get Sundays off.

Updates?

Fabbs
08-14-2013, 11:05 PM
I haven't heard much about it. But I just ordered a Fitbit, came highly recommended, so I'll let you know how it is. I've got the last 10lbs to go.....

A little motivation for all of you:
Don't get manboobs. :lol

Lost some more weight this week, body looking good. Basically just eat well 6 days a week(no sodas, try not to eat too many carbs) plus play sports at least 3 days a week. Do at least 100 push ups a day. Friday is the day I eat whatever the fuck I want.

Next step is basically start lifting weights - but I hate doing that, so I"m gonna see if I can hold off for a couple more weeks and just do push ups/sit ups + exercise and see how far that gets me.

Updates? (I wasn't sure if there was a max # of quotes on could do on ST)

mrsmaalox
08-15-2013, 11:40 AM

Alrighty I'll go first ;) I posted that in January, and I've had a few setbacks since.

Things were going great....then I went on an incredible Caribbean vacation the last week of Feb. Got sick the minute I got back home and was sick as a dog for a month before I was diagnosed with pneumonia. Took another 6 weeks to completely recover; meanwhile my running routine was between 0-25% of my norm. Worked back up to 100% over a few weeks and was feeling pretty darn good, got thru a few minor injuries, aches and pains. Then about 6 weeks ago I started with this damn sore R hip that has really been a bother; had to take a week off, tried to work up slowly but just kept aggravating it. It's taken longer than I hoped but I'm up to about 75% of my regular run, still with occasional soreness.

Now as far as those last 10 pounds? It's now the last 13 pounds! :lol

leemajors
08-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by leemajors

Fabbs, I'm sitting at just over 4200 miles for the year, I should easily get 6k. I am at around 215 too, and have to make sure I eat enough since my surplus fat is disappearing :lol

cantthinkofanything
08-15-2013, 01:23 PM

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/321/729/f8a53f2f89a5d2d4fc7abf0ad9108466_large.png?1357003 119

This thing is still not out yet. They're now making changes to make it smaller. Meanwhile it seems about 10 other alternatives have popped up. Wondering how much market share they've given up by the delays. Especially considering the competition is from much larger companies with presumably many more outlets.

cantthinkofanything
08-15-2013, 01:31 PM

I went from 210 to 178 or so over a few months. I've put 5 of it back on. But I'm definitely much more conscious about my food choices so I feel like I'll probably stay around this weight 5 pounds on either side.

Avoiding sugar, bad carbs, and bad fats is probably enough. But that's easier said than done.

The Reckoning
08-15-2013, 01:47 PM
nah aussies indulge in meat pies with sauce (ketchup) (no homo)

Spur-Addict
08-15-2013, 01:54 PM
This shit isn't hard, it just requires discipline. Get into a habit. I never understood why people can't eat properly most of the time, and can't exercise a few times a week. Lets get creative with some retarded calorie counting program, or portioned out meals, or technological devices. They even have this retarded diet where people stick beads behind their ears and eat veggies and milk only. What the fuck is wrong with people? Just eat properly, and get off your lazy ass. And also, why is it so hard to drink regular water? It's not poison, and it doesn't need to be altered in any way. No, if it's water, it has to have the bullshit flavoring, and the this and the that. No, fast food isn't a staple in ones diet. No, you shouldn't eat BBQ every week. No, whatever cultural food you eat isn't ok to eat consistently because it's in your culture. Yes, you can eat vegetables by themselves. All this is, is a bunch of undisciplined people outside of health issues that are inherent.

ashbeeigh
08-16-2013, 07:58 PM

No updates from me. I'm not trying too hard though. I'm running again and will do RnR again and as of about 10 hours ago signed up for the Austin Half.

FkLA
08-16-2013, 08:16 PM
No updates from me. I'm not trying too hard though. I'm running again and will do RnR again and as of about 10 hours ago signed up for the Austin Half.

You are slacking, smashbeeigh.

ashbeeigh
08-16-2013, 08:54 PM
You are slacking, smashbeeigh.

I know. I blame my hormones and my sugar cravings.

Katherine Robinson
08-16-2013, 10:24 PM
chlorogenic acid extracted from uncooked green coffee beans.
One of the latest fat burning hyped products.

I'm not trying it but has anyone?
Jury is still out on it despite what Dr. Oz and all the hucksters proclaim.

There are few supplements which truly aid in weight loss, that is not one of them.

Fabbs
08-29-2013, 06:34 AM
Jan 27th today.
28% fat
33% muscle
214 lbs.
5'11"

27.2% fat
34% muscle
209 lbs

Progress has now begun as ankle joint injury is past.

Fabbs
08-29-2013, 06:35 AM
There are few supplements which truly aid in weight loss, that is not one of them.
If we climb the mountain and bring you a Kwiki Mart slushee will you tell us which the few are?

Fabbs
08-29-2013, 06:39 AM
Alrighty I'll go first ;) I posted that in January, and I've had a few setbacks since.

Things were going great....then I went on an incredible Caribbean vacation the last week of Feb. Got sick the minute I got back home and was sick as a dog for a month before I was diagnosed with pneumonia. Took another 6 weeks to completely recover; meanwhile my running routine was between 0-25% of my norm. Worked back up to 100% over a few weeks and was feeling pretty darn good, got thru a few minor injuries, aches and pains. Then about 6 weeks ago I started with this damn sore R hip that has really been a bother; had to take a week off, tried to work up slowly but just kept aggravating it. It's taken longer than I hoped but I'm up to about 75% of my regular run, still with occasional soreness.

Now as far as those last 10 pounds? It's now the last 13 pounds! :lol
As much as i love running outside too, Mrs. Maalox is it time for the elliptical?

Fabbs
08-29-2013, 06:49 AM
Fabbs, I'm sitting at just over 4200 miles for the year, I should easily get 6k. I am at around 215 too, and have to make sure I eat enough since my surplus fat is disappearing :lol
:clap

Fabbs
08-29-2013, 06:53 AM
I went from 210 to 178 or so over a few months. I've put 5 of it back on. But I'm definitely much more conscious about my food choices so I feel like I'll probably stay around this weight 5 pounds on either side.

Avoiding sugar, bad carbs, and bad fats is probably enough. But that's easier said than done.
:clap
Have you increased from 800 calories a day?
That's going to get you a part on Zoolander 2.

mrsmaalox
08-31-2013, 12:40 PM
As much as i love running outside too, Mrs. Maalox is it time for the elliptical?

Well if I could afford a really great elliptical I'd definitely get one. I'd never give up my daily dose of the outdoors though----my mind and spirit need it too much.

UZER
08-31-2013, 12:49 PM
Anyone ever tried insanity?

leemajors
08-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Well if I could afford a really great elliptical I'd definitely get one. I'd never give up my daily dose of the outdoors though----my mind and spirit need it too much.

I had some hip pain recently, hip flexor stretches helped a lot.

Katherine Robinson
08-31-2013, 06:17 PM
If we climb the mountain and bring you a Kwiki Mart slushee will you tell us which the few are?

It isn't a secret, throughout the years certain substances have proven weight loss benefits. Two substances, Ephedrine HCL and Clenbuteral, have dramatic effects on weight management - at the cost of potential heart problems which explains their legality. These are beta antagonists and elevate resting metabolic rate. These are illegal as dietary supplements and of course not an option.

Legal alternatives are substances which artificially raise your resting heart rate such as caffeine and 1,3 DMAA. A stronger alternative would be Yohimbe, carrying the now regulated Yohimbine HCL alkaloid. This is an alpha antagonist and affects adrenalin levels. I would not recommend that unless you have a tolerance for alpha blockers.

ashbeeigh
09-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Anyone ever tried insanity?

I posted last year that I did it. I didn't change my diet in combination with it, but did feel as though it helped my endurance a bit. There was no weight loss, but like i said I blame my sugar cravings and hormones. I got tired of the same work outs over and over again, though. It's worth a try.

UZER
09-01-2013, 11:15 PM
I posted last year that I did it. I didn't change my diet in combination with it, but did feel as though it helped my endurance a bit. There was no weight loss, but like i said I blame my sugar cravings and hormones. I got tired of the same work outs over and over again, though. It's worth a try.

if you wanna lose weight you have to eat better. I still eat what I want on the weekends to keep my sanity (pun intended), but, even if you don't diet, you'll get in shape.

Fabbs
09-02-2013, 07:05 AM
if you wanna lose weight you have to eat better. I still eat what I want on the weekends to keep my sanity (pun intended), but, even if you don't diet, you'll get in shape.
Which brings up the subject of when one eats.
Could it be for ashbeeigh and others (me too), that one could be correctly limiting their calorie intake but blowing it by when they eat?

When should a person eat in relation to their workout? Be it aerobics or pumping.
Working out on an empty stomach, say 1st thing in the morning? Good or bad?
Eating just before bed, which im sure is not good, but exactly how evil is it? On those days when one works out in the evening, is it absolutely killer to chase the workout with food?

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Lost 19 pounds since May. Hope to lose 15 more by the end of the year. Currently 201.

UZER
09-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Could it be for ashbeeigh and others (me too), that one could be correctly limiting their calorie intake but blowing it by when they eat?

When should a person eat in relation to their workout? Be it aerobics or pumping.
Eating just before bed, which im sure is not good, but exactly how evil is it? On those days when one works out in the evening, is it absolutely killer to chase the workout with food?

good questions. Honestly, I don't know. I eat better during the week and limit portions. I I really try hard no to overwhelm myself with all of those things because then I'll feel like I'm on a diet which I despise, but I am more aware of it. If during the week I feel like bill millers, I'll have it, but not every day.

eating late won't kill you unless you do it everyday. If I do a workout in the morning, I at least try to eat a banana to give my body something from from its 6/8 hour fast overnight.

I'm doing insanity following the 6 day a week program as a personal challenge. But, I'm realistic enough to know I can't keep that up forever as a normal human, so I plan to do it every other day, or 3 times a week, once im through.

I've lost 20 lbs in a month, and that's with not starving myself on some ridiculous "diet". But that's because insanity kicks your ass.

leemajors
09-02-2013, 10:48 AM
working out before you eat is good, but you need to eat within an hour of working out.

Drachen
09-02-2013, 02:43 PM

I saw someone on one of these the other day. Maybe you could look into it.
http://www.elliptigo.com

ashbeeigh
09-02-2013, 03:36 PM

Of course. That is an area for improvement on my part, but I do have polycystic ovarian syndrome (may be tmi but it plays a part in all of this) which messes with hormones. This imbalance, whatever it is, inhibits some people's ability to lose weight. Yes, there is a specific diet to follow and I could probably lose a bit more if I am strictly on that diet but it's hard. And yes, I know that's part of it. And I'm not whining about the lack of weight loss at all. I'm in way better shape, like you mentioned and have maintained at least a 20 pound weight loss since 2010 so I'm still happy with where i am compared to where I was then.

You need something in your tummy when you work out. If you're going to do something strenuous (like 6 plus mile run) have some toast or maybe some energy chews before hand. Eating after is a must too. More protein the better. But don't overeat just because you worked out. I heard a survey (and maybe I can find it online) that said people that work out and then eat a big meal overcompensate because they think they burned more calories than they really did. Avoid dairy and normal things that may cause stomach problems. They will inhibit your exercise plan.

And as far as eating in the evenings, I have avoided eating 3 hours before bed, mostly. I'm not sure about the science behind that though.

UZER
09-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Of course. That is an area for improvement on my part, but I do have polycystic ovarian syndrome (may be tmi but it plays a part in all of this) which messes with hormones. This imbalance, whatever it is, inhibits some people's ability to lose weight. Yes, there is a specific diet to follow and I could probably lose a bit more if I am strictly on that diet but it's hard. And yes, I know that's part of it. And I'm not whining about the lack of weight loss at all. I'm in way better shape, like you mentioned and have maintained at least a 20 pound weight loss since 2010 so I'm still happy with where i am compared to where I was then.

my comment was not meant like that. I was just saying it in general.

ashbeeigh
09-02-2013, 05:30 PM
my comment was not meant like that. I was just saying it in general.

Ahh. Well I apologize. Many of the things here end up that way. But yes, I agree with you. Exercise alone will not get anyone anywhere.

mrsmaalox
09-02-2013, 10:10 PM
I saw someone on one of these the other day. Maybe you could look into it.
http://www.elliptigo.com

What a machine :) I'd never seen that.

Drachen
09-03-2013, 12:40 AM
I never saw it either. I was out on scenic loop and one of these passed me. I was like, DAMN!

Fabbs
09-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Ephedrine HCL and Clenbuteral,.... - at the cost of potential heart problems.

caffeine and 1,3 DMAA.
A stronger alternative would be Yohimbe, carrying the now regulated Yohimbine HCL alkaloid. This is an alpha antagonist and affects adrenalin levels. I would not recommend that unless you have a tolerance for alpha blockers.
Ephedrine HCL and Clenbuteral. I'll take a big pass.
Caffeine. naw i'm off the stuff and feeling much better. The crash after the jump not even worth it for me. Don't miss the acid in the coffee either.
Clenbuteral. naw.

Yohimbe. Besides weight loss i will most likely hit more home runs? Hmmn. But this alpha blocker issue.....

Don't you have any slam dunkers with no bad side effects?

Fabbs
09-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Lost 19 pounds since May. Hope to lose 15 more by the end of the year. Currently 201.
Do you have some sort of celebration planned for 199?

That's a benchmark for me. Definitely going to celebrate.

Katherine Robinson
09-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Ephedrine HCL and Clenbuteral. I'll take a big pass.
Caffeine. naw i'm off the stuff and feeling much better. The crash after the jump not even worth it for me. Don't miss the acid in the coffee either.
Clenbuteral. naw.

Yohimbe. Besides weight loss i will most likely hit more home runs? Hmmn. But this alpha blocker issue.....

Don't you have any slam dunkers with no bad side effects?

If there was a substance which is legal, effective and without consequence, obesity would not be as big of a problem. I would not consider anything endorsed by Dr. Oz or any TV personality.

To answer your question, I have seen many people with a very strict diet with macronutrients in check benefit from Rasberry Ketones given that their bodyfat is above 20% (25%+ in many cases). This is more of an obesity aid instead of a weight loss supplement, but some people claim to lose weight faster with the supplementation. Besides that, there is nothing you want to spend money on besides a gym membership and food supplements to aid in macro nutrient levels.

I would strongly suggest you get your testosterone levels checked as well if you have trouble losing weight as it is often noted that people with low levels or an imbalance experience sluggish weight loss. Like most men, though, it is simply a lack if proper diet (50/40/10) which causes diminishing losses in weight loss.

Fabbs
10-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Jan 27th today.
28% fat
33% muscle
214 lbs.
5'11"

Goals by end of 2013
18% fat
199 lbs

I've been swimming up a storm, but need to add aerobics. Swimmers I'm told the body in 75 degree water goes into fat storage mode. Great for muscle and toning, must add outside aerobics to burn fat.
I love to jog outdoors in green natural settings, but I've flirted with torn meniscus three times. Each time i escaped with only bruised meniscus, but jogging may be too much. I gave it whirl twice last week. Loved it, but knee was howling at me afterwords. Bicycle bores me to tears plus why do manufactures make mens bike seats in such an assinanine way. Elliptical is much better but i do have a mental block/whatever and have simply not been hitting the eliptical.
Oct 1st
26.5% fat down 1.5%
34% muscle up only 1.0%
206 lbs down 8
all in all ^ not the levels i had hoped to reach by now.
However in the good news dept:
Blood pressure
140/90 is now down to consistent 125/85

I met with pro trainer today. You all have had great input, but i figured i better personalize it even if pro ends up giving exact same advice.
He is convinced i need to add weight lifting to my routine. 30 minutes 3Xs a week followed immediately by 30 minutes of aerobics. Aero be it swimming continued or elliptical.
So we shall see what Jan 1st brings.

Food I'm not completely sold on Eat For Your Blood Type but i will say i do get off good on the foods he claims my blood type corresponds to.
Steak and greens
Pears, blueberrys (alkaline vs acidic)
I continue to ditch coffee for green tea.
Carbs, even complex ones it seems i, like others just cannot win with carbs.

Big Empty
10-01-2013, 05:15 PM
i finally got back under 200 for the first time in 10 years last week! such a great great feeling! im at 198 currently and i want to get back to 168/173 area. I switched to Miller Lite from Bud Light and i eat a grilled chicken salad in the afternoon during the week. Im working out 4-6 times a week sometimes two-a-days. Its working! Slowly but working it took 2 months to lose 10 pounds but i eat alot on the weekends and drink. I'd imagine it would be faster if i cut all that stuff out but i want my cake and want to eat it too.

leemajors
10-01-2013, 06:55 PM
switching from one light beer to another, or just to light beer period, does jack shit.

Fabbs
10-15-2013, 10:49 AM
I would strongly suggest you get your testosterone levels checked as well if you have trouble losing weight as it is often noted that people with low levels or an imbalance experience sluggish weight loss. Like most men, though, it is simply a lack if proper diet (50/40/10) which causes diminishing losses in weight loss.
Interesting, thank you.
Even if a guys home run and rbi production levels have remained up since age 18 (that being normal drop off but no cliff dives), could he have low testosterone?
Fitness guy is convinced i need to add weight resistance lifting. Says my combo of swimming and jogging with no weights could be burning muscle.

Katherine Robinson
10-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Interesting, thank you.
Even if a guys home run and rbi production levels have remained up since age 18 (that being normal drop off but no cliff dives), could he have low testosterone?
Fitness guy is convinced i need to add weight resistance lifting. Says my combo of swimming and jogging with no weights could be burning muscle.

If you do not feel sluggish in comparison to earlier years, you likely have normal hormone levels - but bloodwork is not a big ordeal and can tell things you may not see/feel.

Weight training aids immensely to long term weight loss as you will raise your resting metabolism from the addition of muscle mass. Many argue it is superior to aerobic exercise when concerning strictly weight loss because of the long term benefits which aid in maintaining your bodyfat%. That is not to say aerobic exercise is inferior, it does aid in cardiac performance and breathing.

Fabbs
10-15-2013, 01:53 PM
^^ His take was 30 min weight lifting followed immediately by 30 aero 3Xs a week. Or 4Xs if possible.
72 hours rest in between muscle group being weight bearing worked.
Example

M arms then cardio
T legs then cardio
W off in total
Th arms then cardio
F legs then cardio
S off in total

He adds the modern day thinking is to mix up the way the arms and legs are worked on the two separate days.
Example the Monday arm lifting would then be a different set of arm lifting on Thurs. Claims hitting a different set of arm muscles, or hitting them in a different way stimulates growth better. Vs doing the exact same set of lifts and reps on arms both Monday and Thurs. Ditto legs.

Katherine Robinson
10-16-2013, 08:41 PM
^^ His take was 30 min weight lifting followed immediately by 30 aero 3Xs a week. Or 4Xs if possible.
72 hours rest in between muscle group being weight bearing worked.
Example

M arms then cardio
T legs then cardio
W off in total
Th arms then cardio
F legs then cardio
S off in total

He adds the modern day thinking is to mix up the way the arms and legs are worked on the two separate days.
Example the Monday arm lifting would then be a different set of arm lifting on Thurs. Claims hitting a different set of arm muscles, or hitting them in a different way stimulates growth better. Vs doing the exact same set of lifts and reps on arms both Monday and Thurs. Ditto legs.

Most of this theory of working out certain muscle groups in certain ways and certain times is what many refer to as "broscience". If you stress a muscle group and consume the proper levels of macronutrients, growth is inevitable up to a certain point when you are nearing a soft-cap of muscle size.

Althought there is no harm to try a regime.

benefactor
12-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Final month of the year. My buddy and I were talking about how so many people fall off the wagon in December then have to do "exercise/weight loss resolutions" in January. I know it's hard as hell to keep from becoming a complete fat ass because of all the food mixed with cold weather but it far worse to spend several weeks away from the gym/your diet routine then try to start over. You don't have to not enjoy anything, but do your best not to blow it this month. Just keep reminding yourself starting over sucks much worse than staying with it and you won't.

Right now I'm sitting at 204 and I think my body is comfortable at that weight, so I don't see myself losing much more. I've started mixing up my heavy routine...including a heavy bench ladder that I've really liked. Five sets...8-6-4-6-8...twenty pounds on each time until you reach the middle set then twenty pounds off until the bottom. Here's mine for example:

255 - 8 reps
275 - 6 reps
295 - 4 reps
275 - 6 reps
255 - 8 reps

I've also worked in some pull ups on both the bar and the rings. It seems to have helped my overall back workout..as I've noticed gains on most of my stations since adding them.

Fabbs
11-28-2017, 09:38 AM
I had some hip pain recently, hip flexor stretches helped a lot.
These hip flexor exercises are the bomb.
Cannot believe how much better I am feeling.

Fabbs
11-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Jan 27th today.
28% fat
33% muscle
214 lbs.
5'11"

Goals by end of 2013
18% fat
199 lbs

Ok guys so I took the long way home.
Thanks for the tips.
Nov 2017
199 lbs!

Fabbs
11-28-2017, 09:42 AM
I've read most of the fat measuring weight scales are bogus.
They only read parts of the body, thus give a very inaccurate fat %.

If you guys know which device is great in 2017 moving into 2018, holla.