PDA

View Full Version : Bucks offer Redd the max

Big Pimp_21
07-01-2005, 09:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2099115

The Bucks are serious about keeping Redd, so it looks like Ferry should zero in on Ray "Bruce Bowen Touched Me" Allen.

whottt
07-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Overpaid...bigtime.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Interesting.

All along the Bucks said they weren't going to jump all the way to the max right away. And here it is July 1 and they caved.

Do you guys all consider Redd a max player?

SequSpur
07-01-2005, 09:49 PM
He was an allstar. So in order for them to keep, they must overpay.

King
07-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Talent and potential wise, no, not at all.

Market value wise...yeah.

Dre_7
07-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Redd is an awesome player!

If I was MIL, I woulda given him the max too.

smeagol
07-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Some NBA teams are plain stupid.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 09:53 PM
It's not like the Bucks were going to get anyone else in free agency, and there's a fair chance they would've ended up paying the max in a bidding war anyway.

Pistons < Spurs
07-01-2005, 09:54 PM

Absolutely not. But they sort of had to offer him a max deal. He's the only really good thing that team has going for it...except for Bogut.

Not really too suprising. Many other teams were gonna be throwing some big money his way.

SequSpur
07-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Redd was gone if they didn't max him.

BillsCarnage
07-01-2005, 09:59 PM
If i were Redd, i'd bolt to the Cavs.. They have a much brighter immediate future. He's going to make the $$ where ever he goes.

dbreiden83080
07-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Redd is definately not a max player, he is a great shooter but really that's all. He is not much of a slasher a defender or a passer. Redd reminds me a lot of Allen Houston in his prime a great shooter who can occasionaly have a big offensive night but not consistant enough. The knicks way overpaid for houston and they are regretting it now, we'll see if the bucks pull the trigger.

whottt
07-01-2005, 10:10 PM
He's not worth it under any circumstances...There are maybe 2 or 3 guards in the NBA worth that much and Redd is not one of them.

Bad signing by the Bucks...what's the worst that could have happened to them by not signing him? Winning the lottery again(*yes I know, but you get my point)?

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 10:14 PM
There are maybe 2 or 3 guards in the NBA worth that much and Redd is not one of them. Well about nine make the max, so there you go.
what's the worst that could have happened by not signing him? They'll win the lottery again?The new prospective owners might not offer as much.

whottt
07-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Well about nine make the max, so there you go.

So? Stupidity isn't an excuse for more stupidity...oh wait...I forgot who I'm talking with.

The new prospective owners might not offer as much.

Your point?

exstatic
07-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Allan Houston, part II.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 10:18 PM
The market is what it is. Redd would probably get the max no matter how much you whine.

That was my point. It only took you six hours to get my point last time, so I'll check back tomorrow to see how you're doing on this one.

whottt
07-01-2005, 10:18 PM
But Allan Houston makes the max...so therefore Redd is worth it[/Chump]

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 10:20 PM
I never said he's worth it, you stupid piece of shit.

You already proved today you can't read, so quit while you're behind.

BillsCarnage
07-01-2005, 10:23 PM
After a discussion on a Suns board, JoJo is likely to get a similar offer from the Suns. He's a better defender, can play PG, and create off the dribble..

I think it might be a bit high too.

whottt
07-01-2005, 10:24 PM
The market is what it is. Redd would probably get the max no matter how much you whine.

Not from me he wouldn't, dumbass.

That was my point. It only took you six hours to get my point last time, so I'll check back tomorrow to see how you're doing on this one.

Your points suck.

dbreiden83080
07-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Houston making the max is proof he is not worth it, that was a bad mistake that the knicks are regretting and so will the bucks, who the hell pays 16 mil a year to a damn jumpshooter.

whottt
07-01-2005, 10:25 PM
I never said he's worth it, you stupid piece of shit.

Yes you did...

You already proved today you can't read, so quit while you're behind.

And you've proved, yet again, that you are the master of redundancy.

mcornelio
07-01-2005, 10:26 PM
have all nba owners lost their mind?

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Not from me he wouldn't, dumbass. Wake me when you own a team, fucktard.
Your points suck.As I said, I'll wait til tommorrow when you get a chance to ask a couple of people what it really means.

whottt
07-01-2005, 11:00 PM
[Sorry whottt, I killed you post by accident. Let the record show you insulted me and I insulted you back.]

BillsCarnage
07-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Ah, Spurs fans fighting with Spurs fans.... I love it!

:lmao :lmao :lmao

ShoogarBear
07-01-2005, 11:05 PM
There is no way to justify Redd making the max.

"The Bucks had to do it to keep him". Bullshit. What they've done now is further lower the bar on who is a max player.

These are the same stupid owners who every CBA get the players association to bail their stupid asses out.

whottt
07-01-2005, 11:08 PM
There is no way to justify Redd making the max.

"The Bucks had to do it to keep him". Bullshit. What they've done now is further lower the bar on who is a max player.

These are the same stupid owners who every CBA get the players association to bail their stupid asses out.

Stop ragging on Chump's heroes...

whottt
07-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Ah, Spurs fans fighting with Spurs fans.... I love it!

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Newbie...

Your turn will come...but right now you represent little more than a kicked ass...where's the fun?

constantstate
07-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Interesting.

All along the Bucks said they weren't going to jump all the way to the max right away. And here it is July 1 and they caved.

do you remember when a few years ago people were talking about him as trade bait... and/or as the missing "piece" to a team looking for shooting. now??? wow. but i think they had to offer him that contract. they'd look like they werent willing to do everything possible to keep their own people happy.

constantstate
07-01-2005, 11:13 PM
what were they gonna do... let him go... and entice other free agents to milwaukee on the promise of beer, cheese and that sunny winter weather?

ShoogarBear
07-01-2005, 11:14 PM
The other thing, the Bucks have now effectively killed any long-term rebuilding chances they have, unless they plan to go the Mark Cuban route.

BillsCarnage
07-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Newbie...

Your turn will come...but right now you represent little more than a kicked ass...where's the fun?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. did you post something?

Don't worry, i've seen plenty of spurs fans fighting on this board. TPark, now he's a Spurs fan.

:lmao

BillsCarnage
07-01-2005, 11:16 PM
The other thing, the Bucks have now effectively killed any long-term rebuilding chances they have, unless they plan to go the Mark Cuban route.

Oh yeah, the Bucks have are ready to throw $$ away. Next up, they sign Zydrunus-what's-his-name for $20mil/per... :lmao

I'm being facetious, btw.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 11:24 PM
The other thing, the Bucks have now effectively killed any long-term rebuilding chances they have, unless they plan to go the Mark Cuban route.Doesn't really look that way. In fact they should have room for at least on more max free agent in two seasons; only Redd and Bogut are currently firmly on the books. Those two and room for one, maybe even two other max free agents?--that makes the " prospective new ownership group" angle very, very clear.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Michael Redd, meet Allan Houston :lol

whottt
07-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Don't sweat it Chump...it happens to me too...

Rick Von Braun
07-01-2005, 11:48 PM
Redd is NOT worth the max. Some NBA owners are crazy!

xcoriate
07-02-2005, 12:53 AM
Bucks had to do it. They got a low post player in Bogut who can find the shooters... Of which Redd is there only one. Ford (assuming he starts next year...) and Mason cant hit a J to save there lives but none the less have other qualities. REdd is the ideal here a good shooter who next year can share the load with Bogut.

If Ford is back to his playmaking best and Mason continues to beat out injuries they can be good next year, but that of course requires them resigning Redd or at the very least finding someone suitable to replace (which they wouldn't have done, no way Larry Hughes or Allen were going to the Bucks).

They had to keep him at all costs, and it looks like they've done so.

duncan_21
07-02-2005, 01:17 AM
I think it's a big mistake from a talent:salary ratio. But if you're mil and you need a star I guess you overpay. I think he's a good 2nd player. A number one, he is not in my book.

whottt
07-02-2005, 01:21 AM
How good can he be if they won the freaking lottery last year? They were one of the worst teams in the NBA. Exactly what are you going to be missing if he's not there?

He's not a franchise player so therefore you do not pay him like one...doing so is what screws up a team.

constantstate
07-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Bucks had to do it. They got a low post player in Bogut who can find the shooters... Of which Redd is there only one. Ford (assuming he starts next year...) and Mason cant hit a J to save there lives but none the less have other qualities. REdd is the ideal here a good shooter who next year can share the load with Bogut.

If Ford is back to his playmaking best and Mason continues to beat out injuries they can be good next year, but that of course requires them resigning Redd or at the very least finding someone suitable to replace (which they wouldn't have done, no way Larry Hughes or Allen were going to the Bucks).

They had to keep him at all costs, and it looks like they've done so.
all of that... plus... what would be the point in getting into a bidding war and dragging things out. other teams had already said they were looking at him as option 1... this makes him option 2 or 3 or 4. (and makes it easier for the team to get rolling with other moves)

kevm2
07-02-2005, 01:29 AM
Weren't the bucks in the playoffs in 04? Lebron James wasn't, but what would happen if the Cavs lost him? The cavs weren't in the playoffs this year either. Does that mean he's expendable? Sure, if you're a team that can attract free agents easily, you don't offer the guy the max, but this is arguably one of the only really good players the Bucks have. And you can't just pull great players out your ass. If the Bucks lose Redd, who can they attract to Milwaukee to replace him?

Bogut would rather play with a Michael Redd than without, and if they lost Redd and couldn't find a considerable replacement for him in the meanwhile, Bogut would probably bolt.

whottt
07-02-2005, 01:36 AM
LeBron James isn't getting the max right now...hate to break it to you...by the time he is eligible for it? He'll be worth it.

Redd has been in the NBA for 5 years....and his major accomplishment on his own is leading his team to the #1 pick.

Tell you what...when he Bogut/Redd combo produces a title or even a top 3 seed, I'll admit I was wrong.

You don't pay a one dimensional shooter like Redd the max...it's just stupid.

If they want to throw max dollars at a shooter they ought to throw them at Ray Allen...he's better.

kevm2
07-02-2005, 01:57 AM
The problem is, there's no way in hell that Ray Allen is going anywhere near Milwaukee. Seattle can offer Allen the most money to entice him to say, and other, more glamourous teams can offer Allen just as much as Milwaukee to convince him to leave. On the other hand, the Bucks can offer Redd more money than any other team. I don't know the specifics of this "Allen Houston" rule, but if they really don't Redd, couldn't they use that to get his salary off the books? It's unfortunate, but Milwaukee has to pay a sizeable premium to draw and keep players there.

And besides, Milwaukee is going to have a really solid team. Bogut, Redd, and TJ Ford. They may not win the championship, but the franchise surely will draw a lot more revenues with Redd there than without.

whottt
07-02-2005, 02:01 AM
I think you could get someone as effective, if not more effective, than Redd for less money...

All Redd is going to do is take shots away from Bogut...and shoot them at 44% clip.

He's not a good passer, he hasn't been a particularly good shooter in a couple of years(like since Ray Allen left)...

The guy is a shooter that shoots 35%...

Not worth it...

kevm2
07-02-2005, 02:07 AM
Well honestly, I think Bogut will improve Redd's shooting if he is indeed 'the real deal.' Bogut drawing attention will free up Redd to shoot at a higher percentage. In mostly any other franchise, I'd agree with you. But with the Bukks, who have a hard time attracting free agents, I say they may have to take the hit and pony up the money for Redd.

BTW, who do you see as having a reasonable chance of going to Milwaukee at reasonable money?

baseline bum
07-02-2005, 04:29 AM
What a stupid signing. Look at how much Miami regrets signing Eddie Jones to that deal, and he was a WAY more complete player than Redd will ever become when he signed that deal. If I'm Milwaukee I let the guy walk in a second if he's asking for max. There's just no way this guy's $50 million better than Manu.

You never break the bank for marginal talent. Look at Chicago when they panicked and paid Ron Mercer $8 million per. Redd's never even sniffed an All-NBA Team AFAIK, and he's a max player? I feel sorry for Bucks fans, because that organization is run terribly.

Kobe = max player
TMac = max player
Iverson = max player
Allen = max player
LeBron = max player

... and that's it for guards.

xcoriate
07-02-2005, 05:02 AM
^ I stopped ready after the bit where you said tmac doesnt deserve the MAX thats a joke.

SlovenianGuy
07-02-2005, 05:37 AM
TMAC i dont think deserves the Max, because without good teammates, he cant go anywhere (Orlando Magic).

So kobe doesn't deserve it either, because without good teammates, he can't go anywhere (Los Angeles Lakers 2004/2005).

baseline bum
07-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Whoops... I'd put Wade on my max list too.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Well, it's the basic small market dilemna -- overpay to keep your own free agent or completely strike out in free agency. What has been their big FA splash the last three years? Mo Williams?

At least Harris has shown the ability to mitigate really bad signings somewhat -- he did turn Tim Thomas' outlandish deal into the more manageable (and expirning in two seasons with pretty much every other deal save Redd and Bogut) deal of Booth.

In the end, I think this is part of a ramp-up to a sale and possible move. Having two cornerstone players and mondo capspace in two seasons would make for one of the better franchise starting points in recent memory, and would go a long way to offset to huge debt the Bucks have amassed.

This offer also forces any other team courting Redd to start at the max too -- there really isn't much else to be done seeing as he's unrestricted.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-02-2005, 12:10 PM
With that deal Michael Redd is destined to be a NY KNick when the Bucks get sick of paying his deal :lol

T Park
07-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Michael Redd is not even close to being a max player. Come on.....

This is the typical example of how loser teams, stay being loser teams.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Well our boy Ferry just reportedly offered him the max as well.

As expected, the Cavaliers hit the ground running on the first day teams can talk to free agents.

An NBA insider said one of the team's first moves was to make a five-year maximum-contract offer of about $72 million to Milwaukee Bucks shooting guard Michael Redd. ESPN.com reported late Friday night that the Bucks also offered Redd a maximum contract of about $94 million over six years. Insiders said Redd is still expected to visit the Cavaliers within the next few days.

The Cavaliers prepared an elaborate recruitment program for prospective free agents they intend to pursue with their $28 million in salary-cap room. It is believed that veteran point guard Eric Snow and star LeBron James were personally involved in the recruiting process.

Redd exercised an option to get out of his contract, which paid him $3 million last season, and became an unrestricted free agent Friday. He's believed to be on the radar of the Denver Nuggets, Atlanta Hawks and Los Angeles Clippers, as well. Under salary-cap rules, the Bucks are able to offer more than any of those teams.

Redd has expressed in the past that money won't be the only issue, and the team's competitiveness will play a role. The Bucks currently do not have a coach, and Redd is likely to wait until that decision is made before finalizing his future.

For Redd to leave Milwaukee, though, he'd be leaving millions on the table. One way that the Cavaliers could help him make it up is by offering an opt out midway through the contract, perhaps after the third year.

In that case, Redd would have the chance to become a free agent again while still in his prime and further maximize his earning potential.

In all, the Cavaliers contacted agents for dozens of players Friday. Two insiders confirmed that one of the team's first calls went to Chicago Bulls restricted free agent Eddy Curry.

Re-signing Zydrunas Ilgauskas is believed to be the team's No. 1 option at center, but James has been pushing Curry in recent weeks. In the past several months, Curry and James have become very close friends and speak on the phone almost daily. In a news conference last week, James mentioned that he wanted the Cavaliers to pursue Curry but didn't mention Ilgauskas.

Curry, however, missed the last month of the season with a heart problem, and doctors have differed on whether he has a genetic defect that causes him to have a large heart. He's also restricted, meaning the Bulls could match any offers.

The Cavaliers are also believed to have contacted Curry's teammate, power forward Tyson Chandler. He is also a restricted free agent.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/12041030.htm

As I said -- the market is what it is.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Re-signing Zydrunas Ilgauskas is believed to be the team's No. 1 option at center, but James has been pushing Curry in recent weeks. In the past several months, Curry and James have become very close friends and speak on the phone almost daily. In a news conference last week, James mentioned that he wanted the Cavaliers to pursue Curry but didn't mention Ilgauskas.

I'm almost inclined to think a Z/Malik trade could happen if they land Curry.

atlfan25
07-03-2005, 05:16 AM
i like Redd, he has put up solid numbers for my fantasy team :smokin

Horry For 3!
07-03-2005, 05:17 AM
Michael Redd is a pretty good player. He can light it up many games but then he has those games where he is ice cold.