PDA

View Full Version : Will Shannon Brown get a suspension?

EVAY
01-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Does anyone know if it will happen, or has it already been decided?

I thought that the League Offices would rule one way or the other yesterday, but have heard nothing.

Did I miss an announcement about it?

Chris
01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Ive seen no substantional sanctions as of yet.

ambchang
01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
It really wasn't that bad of a hit. I was surprised he got ejected in the first place. The undercut was way more dangerous.

Ashy Larry
01-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Sean Elliott sounded as if the dude was stabbed and shot.

EVAY
01-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Ive seen no substantional sanctions as of yet.

Thanks

Seventyniner
01-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Sean Elliott made it sounded as if the dude was stabbed and shot.

Manu would've acted like it too, if he hadn't gotten straightened out in midair by Morris.

TJastal
01-30-2013, 12:59 AM
The nba should have taken the nfl's lead in how to deal with headhunters. Should have been a full season suspension at the very least, if not a substantial fine tacked on for good measure. Just another reason my nba watching continues to decline year after year.

timvp
01-30-2013, 01:01 AM
The nba should have taken the nfl's lead in how to deal with headhunters. Should have been a full season suspension at the very least, if not a substantial fine tacked on for good measure. Just another reason my nba watching continues to decline year after year.

The NBA suspends players 100 times as often as the NFL, tbh.

TJastal
01-30-2013, 01:05 AM
The NBA suspends players 100 times as often as the NFL, tbh.

So when's the last time the league suspended a player or coach for a full season? Or gave a coach a permanent ban? The nba likes to give out petty little slaps on the wrist that in reality do nothing to instill fear into those who would intend to lay serious injury on another player.

exstatic
01-30-2013, 01:15 AM
David Stern probably quietly cut him a bonus check out of Holt's $250K.

timvp
01-30-2013, 01:26 AM
So when's the last time the league suspended a player or coach for a full season? Or gave a coach a permanent ban? The nba likes to give out petty little slaps on the wrist that in reality do nothing to instill fear into those who would intend to lay serious injury on another player.

What is the NFL doing "to deal with headhunters" that you wish the NBA to emulate? Are you comparing Shannon Brown's foul to bounty-gate?

Dr. Robert Lee
01-30-2013, 01:32 AM
LOL, fkn pathetic. This isn't flag basketball, bro. Get used to contact.

Dr. Robert Lee
01-30-2013, 01:33 AM

You can go watch the WNBA, you scrub.

TJastal
01-30-2013, 02:01 AM
What is the NFL doing "to deal with headhunters" that you wish the NBA to emulate? Are you comparing Shannon Brown's foul to bounty-gate?

Of course I'm drawing a comparison, it's a serious safety issue. Would you rather wait until somebody has to be carted off on a stretcher with permanent paralysis?? With all due respect here's where we differ on this issue. You view the incident as just another foul, as indistinguishable as any other during the course of a game. I thought it was a deliberate attempt to cause an injury. Seriously, how often do we see a full on punch or swat to the *head or neck* where its obvious the player is not playing the ball? Not very often. As such it should be reviewable by the league and penalized accordingly. The NBA needs to start cracking down on these types of plays. Just like the NFL has done in implementating rule changes over the years to protect defenseless players especially in the *head or neck area.*

TJastal
01-30-2013, 02:02 AM

You can go watch the WNBA, you scrub.

I'm all for contact in professional men's basketball, but if you allow guys to do what Brown did which was to essentially punch another player from behind in the head and put that player at serious risk of injury there should be consequences.

maverick1948
01-30-2013, 03:35 AM
"To be unsportsmanlike is to act in a manner unbecoming to the image of professional basketball. It consists of acts of deceit, disrespect of officials and profanity. The penalty for such action is a technical foul. Repeated acts shall result in expulsion from the game and a minimum fine of $1000.

A flagrant foul-penalty (1) is unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent.

A flagrant foul-penalty (2) is unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent. It is an unsportsmanlike act and the offender is ejected immediately.

The offender will be subject to a fine not exceeding $35,000 and/or suspension by the Commissioner.

See Rule 12B-Section IV for interpretation and penalties. "

I would assume that since it was on a Spurs player that Brown will get the minimum fine of $1000. And he will miss no time. It was a hard foul and some say it was not that bad but the fact remains that it was a blow to the head that resulted in the flagrant 2 call.

Trimble87
01-30-2013, 05:19 AM
Should have been a full season suspension at the very least, if not a substantial fine tacked on for good measure.

Not a single player missed the entire season because of Bounty Gate. Johnathan Vilma was suspended a full season appealed it and won. Vilma played 11 games last year.

More then that these sanctions were because of a bounty program that had been up for years where coaches and players payed each other to intentionally hurt the other team.

Shannon Brown got a flagrant 2 and that was deserved. If he got a 1 game suspension I would be fine with that but I doubt it is coming.

TJastal
01-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Not a single player missed the entire season because of Bounty Gate. Johnathan Vilma was suspended a full season appealed it and won. Vilma played 11 games last year.

More then that these sanctions were because of a bounty program that had been up for years where coaches and players payed each other to intentionally hurt the other team.

Shannon Brown got a flagrant 2 and that was deserved. If he got a 1 game suspension I would be fine with that but I doubt it is coming.

The bolded part of your comment is what really matters here. In both examples, there was an intent to hurt/injure another player. Whether someone got paid or recieved some other type of satisfaction for the dirty deeds is irrelevant. By not taking sufficient action to make players think twice about putting another player's career/life in jeopardy only insures thugs like Brown will continue to put other players at serious risk.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2013, 11:51 AM
He got ejected. Be glad. This is the league office that suspended Bowen instead of CP3 and warned Tony Parker for flopping. Be glad the league didn't retract the technical and issue an apology to Phoenix.

Fireball
01-31-2013, 11:40 AM
I think he redempted himself last night by fouling Dwight Howard ...

emanueldavidginobili
01-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Shannon Brown is going to try and appeal the Flagrant foul, that's what I read

Obstructed_View
01-31-2013, 12:57 PM
One would think the league would have used the excuse to suspend him so the Lakers would have a better chance.

TJastal
01-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Shannon Brown is going to try and appeal the Flagrant foul, that's what I read

:lmao :rollin :lol

Mel_13
01-31-2013, 01:05 PM
I think he redempted himself last night by fouling Dwight Howard ...

He knocked Howard out of the game and didn't get called for a foul on the play.

TJastal
01-31-2013, 01:07 PM
He knocked Howard out of the game and didn't get called for a foul on the play.

:lmao :lol :rollin

And there goes the lakers' season.

That's what's called "Poetic Justice".