PDA

View Full Version : NBA: How does someone become an NBA GM?

FkLA
01-29-2013, 07:59 PM
I swear that I or a couple of other smart peeps that can talk ball on here could do a better job than half these retards. Im reading that Toronto is close to landing Rudy Gay and it got me thinking just how incompetent the management up in Toronto has been...I cant remember the last time they made a good move. If theyre not overpaying Landry Fields or trying to land a washed up Nash with a ridiculous contract, theyre dead set on making Bargnani the face of their franchise even though hes a terrible player to build around. You also look at some of the contracts Brooklyn gave out and traded for, how bad the Knicks were for most of the 2000s, Otis Smith being a fucking retard in Orlando, Joe Johnson getting $130 mill in Atlanta, Rashard Lewis being the 2nd highest paid player in the NBA for a while, etc, etc. Why are a bunch of these guys so incompetent?

irishock
01-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Talented suck ups to their owners honestly. Bryan is the biggest puppet MLSE has ever hired.

FYM
01-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Not graduating from utsa tbh

Koolaid_Man
01-29-2013, 08:03 PM
I swear that I or a couple of other smart peeps that can talk ball on here could do a better job than half these retards. Im reading that Toronto is close to landing Rudy Gay and it got me thinking just how incompetent the management up in Toronto has been...I cant remember the last time they made a good move. If theyre not overpaying Landry Fields or trying to land a washed up Nash with a ridiculous contract, theyre dead set on making Bargnani the face of their franchise even though hes a terrible player to build around. You also look at some of the contracts Brooklyn gave out and traded for, how bad the Knicks were for most of the 2000s, Otis Smith being a fucking retard in Orlando, Joe Johnson getting $130 mill in Atlanta, Rashard Lewis being the 2nd highest paid player in the NBA for a while, etc, etc. Why are a bunch of these guys so incompetent?

^ you talkin bout massa?

Bill_Brasky
01-29-2013, 08:10 PM
The whole "not about what you know, but who you know" thing rings true here.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Do you think a good GM would trade David Lee for Boris Diaw?

DMC
01-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Canadian fans aren't as discriminating as the rest of us.

FkLA
01-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Do you think a good GM would trade David Lee for Boris Diaw?

I think a good GM would figure out that Diaw makes a fraction of what Lee makes, tbh.

You think a good GM wouldve signed Amare to a max instead of Bosh in ~2010 ?

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-29-2013, 08:26 PM
I think a good GM would figure out that Diaw makes a fraction of what Lee makes, tbh.

You think a good GM wouldve signed Amare to a max instead of Bosh in ~2010 ?

Kerr was a good GM and he wanted to then quit because Sarver wouldn't let him, so yeah, I do.

FkLA
01-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Kerr was a good GM and he wanted to then quit because Sarver wouldn't let him, so yeah, I do.

I like Kerr but what exactly did he do in Phoenix that was noteworthy, tbh? Could be wrong but the biggest move I remember him making was bringing in Shaq which didnt even work out all that well tbh. Also IIRC wouldnt he had been willing to trade Amare if the JJ Hickson(lol) wouldve been included ?

DPG21920
01-29-2013, 08:36 PM
I like Kerr but what exactly did he do in Phoenix that was noteworthy, tbh? Could be wrong but the biggest move I remember him making was bringing in Shaq which didnt even work out all that well tbh. Also IIRC wouldnt he had been willing to trade Amare if the JJ Hickson(lol) wouldve been included ?

Bringing in Shaq didn't work, but he had to do something different to actually try and win. Not only that, Hickson has proven to be a pretty damn solid player (one of like 5 guys averaging a double double). Also, the Shaq move didn't cripple them at all. Sure with the benefit of looking back the Shaq move was a bust, but you have to take some chances - you just don't take the ones that do irrevocable damage.

DPG21920
01-29-2013, 08:38 PM
And yes, BKY has some bad contracts, however, they went from not a playoff team to a top 3 seed overnight. While not a contender, they are still solid and have room to make moves (although trades might be a little tougher). Not every team is going to be a legit contender, but a team with a shot at making it to the Conference Finals is nothing to sneeze at (especially when you were a non-playoff team just the season before.)

FkLA
01-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Bringing in Shaq didn't work, but he had to do something different to actually try and win. Not only that, Hickson has proven to be a pretty damn solid player (one of like 5 guys averaging a double double). Also, the Shaq move didn't cripple them at all. Sure with the benefit of looking back the Shaq move was a bust, but you have to take some chances - you just don't take the ones that do irrevocable damage.

I agree that the Shaq move was worth a try, and like I said I like Kerr but I just dont think he did anything that jumped out.

Admittedly had no idea Hickson was playing so well in Portland tbh, last I had heard of him was he got cut by the Kings and was picked off waivers by Portland. But either way I just dont see how DoK uses Kerr as a reason why signing Amare to the max wouldve been a good move...especially with the benefit of hindsight.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-29-2013, 09:05 PM

Taking a team that was on the decline and headed nowhere fast to a team that came within 2 games of the NBA finals was noteworthy.

Trading Diaw and Raja Bell for Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley was the noteworthy move I attribute to Kerr. He completely fleeced Charlotte.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-29-2013, 09:06 PM
I agree that the Shaq move was worth a try, and like I said I like Kerr but I just dont think he did anything that jumped out.

Admittedly had no idea Hickson was playing so well in Portland tbh, last I had heard of him was he got cut by the Kings and was picked off waivers by Portland. But either way I just dont see how DoK uses Kerr as a reason why signing Amare to the max wouldve been a good move...especially with the benefit of hindsight.

Now you're moving the goal posts and using strawman arguments. You originally asked would a good GM have given Amare a max deal in 2010 (so hindsight is irrelevant), not would it have been a good move.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Also IIRC wouldnt he had been willing to trade Amare if the JJ Hickson(lol) wouldve been included ?

Since you decided to make hindsight part of this argument, trading Amare for JJ Hickson would have been a great move on Kerr's part.

DPG21920
01-29-2013, 09:14 PM
But to answer your question - yes, there are a lot of bad GM's. For reasons beyond me, people keep making the same mistakes over and over. I'm assuming a lot of that is because they are thinking very short-term due to the nature of the job and like many people they get caught up in name value/hype over many other things.

However, I also believe there are a lot of variables that we as fans do not consider that a GM has to - hence the pretty big gap in what many think a team should do (i.e. tank if you aren't a contender from a fan perspective vs. push for the 8th seed if you are a GM) and what actually happens.

Fans, by in large, usually think only of the on the court ramifications of a move where a GM has financial restrictions (unless your last name is Kupchak) in addition to a lot of other factors.

FkLA
01-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Taking a team that was on the decline and headed nowhere fast to a team that came within 2 games of the NBA finals was noteworthy.

Trading Diaw and Raja Bell for Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley was the noteworthy move I attribute to Kerr. He completely fleeced Charlotte.

:lol That is so dishonest. Sure there had been a decline but its not like Phoenix was free falling or anything.

Sure, with the benefit of hindsight (see you use it when its convenient too). Although Diaw was the starting center for their playoff teams and Bell was a solid role player, so not sure I would go as far as saying he completely fleeced Charlotte.

Now you're moving the goal posts and using strawman arguments. You originally asked would a good GM have given Amare a max deal in 2010 (so hindsight is irrelevant), not would it have been a good move.

Why wouldnt hindsight be used? Especially since alot of the worries about Amare at the time ended up being true.

Since you decided to make hindsight part of this argument, trading Amare for JJ Hickson would have been a great move on Kerr's part.

Wouldve been a terrible move if we had this same discussion about a year ago. But sure it wouldnt have been a bad move, now that Hickson seems to have got his shit together.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-29-2013, 09:37 PM
:lol That is so dishonest. Sure there had been a decline but its not like Phoenix was free falling or anything.
The were the oldest team in the NBA and hadn't gotten to the conference finals since 2006.

Sure, with the benefit of hindsight (see you use it when its convenient too). Although Diaw was the starting center for their playoff teams and Bell was a solid role player, so not sure I would go as far as saying he completely fleeced Charlotte.
Bell looked absolutely done at the time of the trade and Diaw hadn't been a starter since 2007. Keep revising history.

Richardson was the 3rd scoring wheel in the 2010 team that neither Bell or Diaw would have ever been. Richardson was so much better than anyone else in the trade it was a great deal. Seeing how much you love Diaw I'm not expecting you to look at it without bias tho.

Why wouldnt hindsight be used? Especially since alot of the worries about Amare at the time ended up being true.
Because your original question was asking about what a GM would do without the benefit of hindsight. Do you seriously struggle to understand this?

Wouldve been a terrible move if we had this same discussion about a year ago. But sure it wouldnt have been a bad move, now that Hickson seems to have got his shit together.

With the benefit of hindsight, it would have been a great move. That's irrelevant since hindsight had nothing to do with your original question and you only brought it up after I didn't give you the answer you wanted. I was making a point.

GoodOdor
01-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Someone who thinks that Diaw>Lee would definitely not make a good GM.

FkLA
01-29-2013, 10:11 PM
The were the oldest team in the NBA and hadn't gotten to the conference finals since 2006.

Bell looked absolutely done at the time of the trade and Diaw hadn't been a starter since 2007. Keep revising history.

Richardson was the 3rd scoring wheel in the 2010 team that neither Bell or Diaw would have ever been. Richardson was so much better than anyone else in the trade it was a great deal. Seeing how much you love Diaw I'm not expecting you to look at it without bias tho. I meant he ended up being the starting center for Charlottes playoff team, dipshit. Diaw did get fat as shit but he was actually still solid for Charlotte until last year when it became clear he wanted out.

Because your original question was asking about what a GM would do without the benefit of hindsight. Do you seriously struggle to understand this?[quote]
My original question was what would a good GM have done. A good GM wouldve taken into consideration all the uncertainties surrounding Amares future and not signed him to a long-term deal. Hindsight confirms that that was the smart move.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-29-2013, 10:47 PM
My original question was what would a good GM have done. A good GM wouldve taken into consideration all the uncertainties surrounding Amares future and not signed him to a long-term deal. Hindsight confirms that that was the smart move.
The fact Kerr wanted to, and the fact Walsh did (widely considered a good GM) disagrees with this. Giving Amare a max deal after the 2010 season isn't even close to other max deals given out recently in terms of stupidity.

Amare wasn't exactly struggling to find places where he could get a max deal.

FkLA
01-29-2013, 11:31 PM
The fact Kerr wanted to, and the fact Walsh did (widely considered a good GM) disagrees with this. Giving Amare a max deal after the 2010 season isn't even close to other max deals given out recently in terms of stupidity.

Amare wasn't exactly struggling to find places where he could get a max deal.

Alot of non-deserving players have plenty of suitors ready to give them a max deal, that doesnt prove anything tbh. Neither does the fact that worse max deals have been given. Im curious to know how you consider a move that not only had some red flags but ultimately doesnt end up working out good? Thats so dumb and stubborn tbh.

DPG21920
01-29-2013, 11:41 PM
JJ Hickson going HAM tonight

Latarian Milton
01-30-2013, 01:27 AM
not gonna be easy for a proud mexican though, when the majority of your team don't speak no spanish or shit

cheguevara
01-30-2013, 02:08 AM
I'd say out of all the GMs in the world, the bottom 12-15 practice their trade on the NBA. And that's including ALL GMs of the world, including all kinds of leagues like the bowling league, little league, senior citizens leagues and shit like that.

baseline bum
01-30-2013, 02:18 AM
LOL FkLA talking about GMs when he wanted to trade Tony Parker for Brandon Rush and Ed Davis after he fell in love with George Hill's black cock photos.

FkLA
01-30-2013, 03:07 AM
not gonna be easy for a proud mexican though, when the majority of your team don't speak no spanish or shit

Calderon
Ginobili
Delfino
MVPau
Marc Gasol

Bench: Rubio, Horford, Scola, Barea, Ayon, Nocioni
12th man: Najera

^Thats not a bad squad tbh. :hat

LOL FkLA talking about GMs when he wanted to trade Tony Parker for Brandon Rush and Ed Davis after he fell in love with George Hill's black cock photos.

False.

HarlemHeat37
01-30-2013, 03:45 AM
The majority of GMs and front office people are winners of the genetic lottery or have connections with winners of the genetic lottery(former NBA/college/international players)..

There are 5/6 out of the 30 that were either former agents, or former lower-level employees that eventually got promoted after 15+ years of working in basketball..

apalisoc_9
01-30-2013, 03:51 AM
The majority of GMs and front office people are winners of the genetic lottery or have connections with winners of the genetic lottery(former NBA/college/international players)..

There are 5/6 out of the 30 that were either former agents, or former lower-level employees that eventually got promoted after 15+ years of working in basketball..

Though a good chunk of NBA GM's are dumb, you have to take into consideration connections in here. I'm sure those lottery winner guys generally have more connections than your average agent or lower level empoyee.