PDA

View Full Version : is baynes worth trading blair?

mabrignani
01-31-2013, 02:09 PM
i know hes still a noob to NBA, and his first points were a nice dunk...but it took him 3 quarters to get there and his skill set really doesnt look that awesome

Chinook
01-31-2013, 02:17 PM
I wanted to make up some smart-ass answer, but honestly, the answer is no. If Blair is worth keeping, he's worth keeping regardless of Baynes. If he's worth trading, Baynes doesn't really change that.

manufan10
01-31-2013, 02:19 PM
In all honesty, I think it's just time to move on from Blair. He's in the final year of his contract, and he is probably not going to be resigned. I doubt he would want to resign with the Spurs anyways. The Spurs might as well look into the possibility of trading him so that they get something in return instead of him just walking at season's end.

Spurs da champs
01-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Blair is breaking down, Baynes shows promise with his rebounding, screens & defense, yesterday he really did look like a tall Reggie Evans.

DAF86
01-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Blair is worth trading Blair.

Paranoid Pop
01-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Would Bynum grab 30 rebounds over Baynes head?

Paranoid Pop
01-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Also the true question to me is : does Baynes allow the FO to think about trades involving Tiago who is gonna get paid this summer?

Mel_13
01-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Also the true question to me is : does Baynes allow the FO to think about trades involving Tiago who is gonna get paid this summer?

No. Only eight games until the trade deadline. Even Linsanity took more games than that.

Paranoid Pop
01-31-2013, 02:44 PM
No. Only eight games until the trade deadline. Even Linsanity took more games than that.

All I'm saying is we now have two legit centers and two legit PFs. Before they signed Baynes, Splitter was the only legit backup C, making him untouchable. Now it's not quite as clear cut imo.

The thing is they most likely don't want to fuck with the nice dynamic they have currently so it's indeed very unlikely.

DrunkTXLabrat
01-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Would Bynum grab 30 rebounds over Baynes head?

awesome. that was the night i realized blair has to go.

Mel_13
01-31-2013, 02:48 PM
All I'm saying is we now have two legit centers and two legit PFs. Before they signed Baynes, Splitter was the only legit backup C, making him untouchable. Now it's not quite as clear cut imo.

The thing is they most likely don't want to fuck with the nice dynamic they have currently so it's indeed very unlikely.

I understand what you're saying about the roster composition, but what you said about the current dynamic of the team will govern their decisions between now and the trade deadline.

Darkwaters
01-31-2013, 02:49 PM

The dude has played, what, 19 minutes of NBA time....against the Bobcats?

And you want to replace the stud that is Tiago Splitter? Dumb dumb dumb.

DrunkTXLabrat
01-31-2013, 02:53 PM
paranoid pop you are offically my favorite poster. the spurs should line up a splitter trade for the deadline and play the heck outta baynes. if baynes looks even better and splitter can net something like what the thunder got for harden, i'd say spurs should take it. i would miss the hell outta splitter btw. i think he deserves big money, and that's the only reason to consider trading him. i'm not against keeping him and paying him either.

PingPong
01-31-2013, 02:53 PM

:rollin:rollin

We will have a better glance of his capacity against the Wizard's bigs... But I'm sure he will be at his prime in 2015.

td4mvp2k
01-31-2013, 06:49 PM

paranoid pop you are offically my favorite poster. the spurs should line up a splitter trade for the deadline and play the heck outta baynes. if baynes looks even better and splitter can net something like what the thunder got for harden, i'd say spurs should take it. i would miss the hell outta splitter btw. i think he deserves big money, and that's the only reason to consider trading him. i'm not against keeping him and paying him either.:lol

spurraider21
01-31-2013, 06:52 PM
we aren't really going to get anything of note for blair. maybe a protected 2nd rounder. do we really have anybody that is going to fill in that roster spot anyway?

it might almost be worth holding him. its not like we're hooked with him, his contract is done after the year. who knows maybe he can come on in a playoff game if we have foul trouble and get a couple of put backs. hopefully he won't have to see a minute, but i'd rather him him than an empty bench spot

Bruno
01-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Baynes surely make Blair even more expendable. Baynes replicate a lot what Blair brings (rebounding, P&R, physicality...) and while he isn't as talented as Blair, his 5 additional inches make him the better player.

Even if Spurs get nothing for him, I'm all for trading Blair. Blair is emotional and trading him will avoid a potential meltdown he could have over not playing. Trading away Blair would also allow Spurs to try some players at his roster spot. For example, by looking at stats/profiles, I'm somewhat intrigued by DJ Kennedy.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Baynes is going to be a plus rebounder in this league. He has a nose for the ball despite him obviously not being used to the speed of the NBA game and he already has the ability to root people out using his lower body. Watching him lean into forwards and watching them bump a few feet over was nice to see. He also has not had a conditioning program like the Spurs have. If he puts the work in and stays healthy he will be an asset to this team.

Blair is an undersized PF with bad knees. He is worth trading for a song if you can find a buyer with or without Baynes.

KL2
01-31-2013, 07:28 PM
Don't see anything worth trading for, his value is too low. He could provide a much needed spark off the bench just like he did against OKC last year. When the shit hits the fan in one of these playoff games like it always does or someone gets inured he'll fill that role. He's not done as an NBA player yet, he's still a serviceable player. I do hope SA doesn't resign him though.

freetiago
01-31-2013, 07:40 PM
spurs need to try to pull off a mahinmi/dj agustin type swap

swaggerjackson
01-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Blair is not untouchable. This is true regardless of Baynes presence. But trading Blair is totally dependent on what we get back. At this point I don't see the Spurs getting offered much for Blair, therefore I think he will finish out the season on the Spurs roster. But I also think the Spurs will shop him heavily. I just doubt they find anything that makes sense for all parties involved.

Blair is cheap, knows the system, and he has been know to go off in select games. It is not like the He Who Shall Not Be Named situation where merely getting him off the roster improved our team. Keeping Blair around does not hurt anything, and therefore the Spurs are not going to be pushed into making a bad decision just to get rid of him.

dunkman
01-31-2013, 08:27 PM
The Spurs still need a third C (Blair) and a third PF (Bonner). Duncan is well Duncan, Splitter has starter quality, Diaw is a backup quality PF, hopefully Baynes will prove himself as a backup quality C. Baynes upside is that he may be a starter quality center, or something special. If something like that materializes, well the Spurs could think about making a trade.

MaNu4Tres
01-31-2013, 08:45 PM
Paranoid Pop has been my favorite poster thus far in 2013. Such quality rants.

skulls138
01-31-2013, 08:55 PM
Baynes impressed me. He's not only tall and does the big man stuff (rebounding and block shots) but he looks like he could get "nasty" when called for, something we need.

cd98
01-31-2013, 09:10 PM
Kind of funny how one game against the worst team in the NBA all of a sudden makes Blair expendable. I'm not saying that won't ultimately happen. But don't be so trigger happy. Honestly Blair would have got better numbers than Baynes against the Bobcats if he were healthy and got the same minutes.

DrunkTXLabrat
01-31-2013, 09:42 PM
blair wouldn't have gotten that monster block

skulls138
01-31-2013, 11:44 PM
Yeah Blair may have gotten better numbers but wouldntve impressed me as much because Baynes made it look dangerous to go against him trying to get a rebound.

Darkwaters
02-01-2013, 12:57 AM
paranoid pop you are offically my favorite poster. the spurs should line up a splitter trade for the deadline and play the heck outta baynes. if baynes looks even better and splitter can net something like what the thunder got for harden, i'd say spurs should take it. i would miss the hell outta splitter btw. i think he deserves big money, and that's the only reason to consider trading him. i'm not against keeping him and paying him either.

You realize that the Thunder got WORSE after they traded Harden, right? I think I'd rather get better, or just stay the same.

Darkwaters
02-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Kind of funny how one game against the worst team in the NBA all of a sudden makes Blair expendable. I'm not saying that won't ultimately happen. But don't be so trigger happy. Honestly Blair would have got better numbers than Baynes against the Bobcats if he were healthy and got the same minutes.

In all honesty, Blair has been expendable for a long time - so long as we got another big back in return. Even before Baynes played a game, he filled that quota once he was signed. Blair has been downright cuttable since Baynes officially arrived, his Bobcats performance not withstanding.

Afterall, what are we trying to replace in Blair? A deep injury reserve and situational player? Through 48 games hes played 478 minutes, less than 10mpg. And most of that is front-loaded on the early season when he was in the rotation. Hes basically been a garbage time player for a while now.

Capt Bringdown
02-01-2013, 02:18 AM
Blair is emblematic of a short-sighted and gimmicky Spurs team that gets backdoor swept and eliminated in the first round.
The sooner we turn the page on Blair the better.

Ice009
02-01-2013, 02:48 AM

Is the trade deadline before or after the all-star game?

heyheymymy
02-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Is the trade deadline before or after the all-star game?

Sunday, February 17 = NBA All-Star Game 2013

2:00 PM (CT) on Thursday, February 21 = NBA Trade Deadline 2013

DrSteffo
02-01-2013, 08:45 AM

Splitter was the fourth or fifth best player on the team and he still is. The combo Duncan/Splitter has been beasting. The reason for keeping Splitter is that he is very good and a good fit next to Duncan. The Spurs typically keep players worth keeping. Baynes will compete with Bonner and Blair for minutes. Bonner and Blair have limited trade value.

Old School 44
02-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Doesn't really matter much one way or the other. Not that Blair has tremendous value anyway, but the more playing time Baynes gets over him, the less the Spurs will be offered in a trade for Blair. With his cheap contract, as insurance, just leave him at the end of the bench and let him walk at the end of the year.

cd98
02-01-2013, 09:09 AM
In all honesty, Blair has been expendable for a long time - so long as we got another big back in return. Even before Baynes played a game, he filled that quota once he was signed. Blair has been downright cuttable since Baynes officially arrived, his Bobcats performance not withstanding. Afterall, what are we trying to replace in Blair? A deep injury reserve and situational player? Through 48 games hes played 478 minutes, less than 10mpg. And most of that is front-loaded on the early season when he was in the rotation. Hes basically been a garbage time player for a while now.

cd98
02-01-2013, 09:09 AM
In all honesty, Blair has been expendable for a long time - so long as we got another big back in return. Even before Baynes played a game, he filled that quota once he was signed. Blair has been downright cuttable since Baynes officially arrived, his Bobcats performance not withstanding.

Afterall, what are we trying to replace in Blair? A deep injury reserve and situational player? Through 48 games hes played 478 minutes, less than 10mpg. And most of that is front-loaded on the early season when he was in the rotation. Hes basically been a garbage time player for a while now.

The minute Duncan got injured, he became relevant and important. He was only expendable in the minds of short attention spanned Spurstalk fans. Before Baynes, if Duncan went down and Tiago played 30 minutes our backup center was either Blair or Bonner because Diaw moved to power forward. Blair did well in that role recently, but hasn't been called to play that role much bc Duncan has been healthy. Does Baynes take Blair's spot? I don't know. Hard to know after one game. Sure Baynes is taller, and that may be enough, but Blair is a better passer, catcher, finisher, turnover generator on defense, while probably about equally good on rebounding. Maybe Baynes shows enough to justify the switch but it will take more than one game to know.

Russo21
02-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Baynes will be a freakin monster. Before long we'll be mentioning him in the same breath as Manu and Tony and Tiago as our next great import. Write that down.

Russo21
02-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Thursday, January 31 2013

The Warriors would love to get their hands on Denver's Timofey Mosgov, or even San Antonio's DeJuan Blair. (http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_22485967/andrew-bogut-likely-standing-alone-golden-states-sole) But acquiring worthy help would require the Warriors to part with someone they like. San Jose Mercury-News (http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_22485967/andrew-bogut-likely-standing-alone-golden-states-sole)

Here's hoping the Warriors do want him and offer us a nice package. He very well could be on his way off the spurs.

Obstructed_View
02-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Baynes swatting that block up into the air and catching it made me forget about whatshisname from Pitt.

Darkwaters
02-01-2013, 12:10 PM
The minute Duncan got injured, he became relevant and important. He was only expendable in the minds of short attention spanned Spurstalk fans. Before Baynes, if Duncan went down and Tiago played 30 minutes our backup center was either Blair or Bonner because Diaw moved to power forward. Blair did well in that role recently, but hasn't been called to play that role much bc Duncan has been healthy. Does Baynes take Blair's spot? I don't know. Hard to know after one game. Sure Baynes is taller, and that may be enough, but Blair is a better passer, catcher, finisher, turnover generator on defense, while probably about equally good on rebounding. Maybe Baynes shows enough to justify the switch but it will take more than one game to know.

So when Duncan got hurt he became relevent. Sounds like an injury reserve to me (exactly what I said earlier - see below) and not some critical part of the team.

Even with Duncan sidelined he still only averaged less than 15 mpg in the last 3 games that he played. Did he put up monster numbers one game. Sure, against a sub .500 Dallas team. And he wasn't exactly a rebounding force in that game either.

If all we're looking for is a guy that can step in and play about 10-15 minutes a game, if, and only if, someone is banged up and taking a night off - I say Blair is totally expendable with the addition of Baynes. Remember, we still have Matt Bonner thats on the outside of the rotation waiting to step in.