PDA

View Full Version : Job hunting tips

AussieFanKurt
01-31-2013, 07:18 PM
I graduated from a degree in psychology last year and moved cities out of want and currently looking for jobs. Seems to be a hard process. I have a degree and experience in fields I've been applying for (HR/recruitment) but been rejected by quite a few places. Talked to someone yesterday in recruitment who got her job with no degree or experience. I'm a bit confused by this. Is getting a good job sometimes luck? Do I need to put more effort into resume/cover letter?

:wakeup:wakeup

rascal
01-31-2013, 07:23 PM
If she is good looking that could explain it.

rogues
01-31-2013, 07:25 PM
:lol psychology..
:lol living in Australia and graduating from there with a psychology degree..
:lol living in Australia and graduating from there with a psychology degree and being jobless..

lefty
01-31-2013, 07:27 PM
I graduated from a degree in psychology last year and moved cities out of want and currently looking for jobs. Seems to be a hard process. I have a degree and experience in fields I've been applying for (HR/recruitment) but been rejected by quite a few places. Talked to someone yesterday in recruitment who got her job with no degree or experience. I'm a bit confused by this. Is getting a good job sometimes luck? Do I need to put more effort into resume/cover letter?

:wakeup:wakeup

Try in the IT industry

They always need recruiters

The problem with IT companies : not a lot of hot women TBH

GoodOdor
01-31-2013, 07:32 PM
Getting a degree in psychology is your first problem, tbh...

Read this blog - askamanager.com

Lots of useful advice regarding cover letters/resume/interview tips.

AussieFanKurt
01-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Try in the IT industry

They always need recruiters

The problem with IT companies : not a lot of hot women TBH

I'll try, thanks mate. No problems at no hot women, got a hot GF

Getting a degree in psychology is your first problem, tbh...

Read this blog - askamanager.com

Lots of useful advice regarding cover letters/resume/interview tips.

While you may not like a psych degree, I don't understand how its worse than nothing. It was at a good uni and I got good marks.

I'll check that site, thanks

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2013, 10:03 PM
learn how to suck dick fag

i had a friend who also grad with a degree like yours from melb uni....i dunno if shes practicing in the field...but could give a fck anyway

most of them pr/hr jobs....only goto ppl who can suck dick, or mainly hot chicks...most of the time these clowns are up themselves with too much power when it comes to job screening....fck them

GoodOdor
01-31-2013, 10:21 PM
I'll try, thanks mate. No problems at no hot women, got a hot GF

While you may not like a psych degree, I don't understand how its worse than nothing. It was at a good uni and I got good marks.

I'll check that site, thanks

For a point of reference, look at thispego - he has a psych degree......late 20's and still making minimum wage...

AussieFanKurt
01-31-2013, 10:22 PM
For a point of reference, look at thispego - he has a psych degree......late 20's and still making minimum wage...

damn, hope I can do more :lol I'm only 20 so I have time

GoodOdor
01-31-2013, 10:23 PM
damn, hope I can do more :lol I'm only 20 so I have time

Out of curiosity, why a psych degree?

It's not too late for you, do you have any experience? HR is one area you can branch out to, but you need to have some
type of internship/experience to compete against those people who get an HR degree/certificate for entry level positions.

GoodOdor
01-31-2013, 10:26 PM
P.S if you're only 20, do you mean an associate degree, or an actual bachelors?

AussieFanKurt
01-31-2013, 10:31 PM
P.S if you're only 20, do you mean an associate degree, or an actual bachelors?

yeah I've been looking for some internship/graduate jobs

Nah its a degree, graduated high school in 2009 at 17 then degree for 3 years from 2010-2012 - bachelors

GoodOdor
01-31-2013, 10:45 PM
yeah I've been looking for some internship/graduate jobs

Nah its a degree, graduated high school in 2009 at 17 then degree for 3 years from 2010-2012 - bachelors

See, you've made the same mistake as me - you should have been doing internships while still at school:depressed

I would look for an administrative office entry level job, after a couple of years you'll have a much better looking resume with some
skills and knowledge of how an office environment works.

AussieFanKurt
01-31-2013, 10:54 PM
See, you've made the same mistake as me - you should have been doing internships while still at school:depressed

I would look for an administrative office entry level job, after a couple of years you'll have a much better looking resume with some
skills and knowledge of how an office environment works.

Agreed, I'll try doing that. Thanks for the tips

thispego
01-31-2013, 11:08 PM

:lmao

Blake
01-31-2013, 11:50 PM
gotta network, mate.

ashbeeigh
01-31-2013, 11:54 PM
It will take some time to eventually land where you want to be. I graduated with a degree in psychology and Spanish in 2007. If you dig far enough back here you can see that i struggled a lot. I've chosen not to share all my job woes since then. I'm at a job that I love now, (5 and a half years later), in the field. But, it took me a good year and a half to find someone who believed in me enough to let me into the non-profit world. All it takes is one person to say "Hey, I believe in you...." to get the job. Try to be positive throughout everything. That's worked for me. And even though thespeigo and I both majored in Psychology and "making minimum wage" I will be graduating with my Masters in Social Work in August and will be able to make about 40,000 a year without any licensing. I strongly encourage a post grad education, but after you find exactly what you want to do in the field. Take a few years to figure out what you lie and then commit. I'm not saying to go get your MBA or anything at 20.

Also, look for networking opportunities. Within that field it is a big plus to have a big circle. Try some LinkedIn (do you do that in Australia? I don't know) and even Twitter. When I was using social media a few years ago I found a large HR community throughout my job hunt.

And for everyone talking crap about psychology degrees. Shut up. He'll be the one firing you in a few years.

lakerhaterade
01-31-2013, 11:57 PM
I graduated with a degree in psychology
rofl

AussieFanKurt
02-01-2013, 12:13 AM
It will take some time to eventually land where you want to be. I graduated with a degree in psychology and Spanish in 2007. If you dig far enough back here you can see that i struggled a lot. I've chosen not to share all my job woes since then. I'm at a job that I love now, (5 and a half years later), in the field. But, it took me a good year and a half to find someone who believed in me enough to let me into the non-profit world. All it takes is one person to say "Hey, I believe in you...." to get the job. Try to be positive throughout everything. That's worked for me. And even though thespeigo and I both majored in Psychology and "making minimum wage" I will be graduating with my Masters in Social Work in August and will be able to make about 40,000 a year without any licensing. I strongly encourage a post grad education, but after you find exactly what you want to do in the field. Take a few years to figure out what you lie and then commit. I'm not saying to go get your MBA or anything at 20.

Also, look for networking opportunities. Within that field it is a big plus to have a big circle. Try some LinkedIn (do you do that in Australia? I don't know) and even Twitter. When I was using social media a few years ago I found a large HR community throughout my job hunt.

And for everyone talking crap about psychology degrees. Shut up. He'll be the one firing you in a few years.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try the social networking card and get a part time job while I'm looking for a full time since as you said it could take some time

The Reckoning
02-01-2013, 12:36 AM
join the mining boom yo

GoodOdor
02-01-2013, 12:49 AM

Did you ever manage to get enough money to change the little bastards name yet?:lol

GoodOdor
02-01-2013, 12:54 AM

This is terrible advice. Post grad education is only worth it in a very few fields......and if you're barely making 40k after you get it, then this is definitely not one of those.

You need to have a marketable skill. Any employer who sees your bachelors in psychology is gonna ask himself " okay, so what can this guy do with this degree?"

The truth is jack shit.

But it's not too late - learn a skill. Hell, take some basic accounting classes, a quickbooks class, maybe a payroll class, and you might be able to land
an entry bookkeeper position - that's already a start.

AussieFanKurt
02-01-2013, 01:02 AM
I dunno if psych degrees are looked on badly in america but they aren't here

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2013, 01:08 AM
should try the army man.....they might require some ppl like you with those psych degrees...or going into the outback communities

thispego
02-01-2013, 01:14 AM
Did you ever manage to get enough money to change the little bastards name yet?:lol

I had the money, wouldn't you search for a "coupon" if one were available?

"I'd like to pay full price for these wares please!" :D

Latarian Milton
02-01-2013, 01:17 AM
should look into the possibility of continuing your study as a graduate student imho. your only 20 and it's too young an age for you to devote yourself to a tedious job, just wait till the economy recovers and it's gonna be easy for you to get a much better job than what you can get right now tbh

FkLA
02-01-2013, 01:22 AM
OP why didnt you just become an engineer, brah? Then you wouldnt be having this problem right now tbh.

AussieFanKurt
02-01-2013, 01:25 AM
should look into the possibility of continuing your study as a graduate student imho. your only 20 and it's too young an age for you to devote yourself to a tedious job, just wait till the economy recovers and it's gonna be easy for you to get a much better job than what you can get right now tbh

yeah I'm going to go back and do honors soonish

AussieFanKurt
02-01-2013, 01:25 AM
OP why didnt you just become an engineer, brah? Then you wouldnt be having this problem right now tbh.

your probably right, my sister is studying engineering and will always have a job once she finishes

FkLA
02-01-2013, 01:34 AM
your probably right, my sister is studying engineering and will always have a job once she finishes

Was just kidding, bro. If you like and enjoy psychology then theres nothing wrong with that career path. I would recommend that you go to graduate school though, cause atleast here you cant really do much with just a batchelors degree...youre only 20 anyways so why be in a hurry to start working. Take your time and enjoy school, youll have your whole life afterwards to work. Finish graduate school and then you can be a licensed psychologist which should open up your options alot.

ashbeeigh
02-01-2013, 09:53 AM
This is terrible advice. Post grad education is only worth it in a very few fields......and if you're barely making 40k after you get it, then this is definitely not one of those.

You need to have a marketable skill. Any employer who sees your bachelors in psychology is gonna ask himself " okay, so what can this guy do with this degree?"

The truth is jack shit.

But it's not too late - learn a skill. Hell, take some basic accounting classes, a quickbooks class, maybe a payroll class, and you might be able to land
an entry bookkeeper position - that's already a start.

No one goes into Psychology or the helping field for the money. A starting salary is in the mid 20s low 30s. The post grad education is a must. Military social workers can make close to 80k with the right license.The 40 was without the licensing which is still double the starting. My job is not about making money. I will never be living in the Dominion. That was something that I understood from the start. And something that the OP probably knows as well.

And accounting isn't for everyone. Jesus fucking Christ. The mentality that a liberal arts degree is shit is complete fucking bullshit. Without social services veteran's would come home from war with even worse PTSD than they have now, children would suffer through even worse abuse than they are now and homeless people would not receive job training. And don't forget substance abuse assistance.

GoodOdor
02-01-2013, 10:28 AM
And accounting isn't for everyone. Jesus fucking Christ. The mentality that a liberal arts degree is shit is complete fucking bullshit. Without social services veteran's would come home from war with even worse PTSD than they have now, children would suffer through even worse abuse than they are now and homeless people would not receive job training. And don't forget substance abuse assistance.

Oh, it all makes sense now - making a shit salary after 7 years of study - but you're doing it for da kids:cry

Besides, I doubt Aussie guy mentioned anything about wanting to make shit money for the rest of his life just so he can help out veterans and kids....

BUMP
02-01-2013, 10:29 AM

Yeah over here it's a little bit more valuable than getting a B.S. in Toilet Cleaning. You have to go on to med school, nursing school or get a PhD with it to go anywhere.

Interesting study tho tbh imho

GoodOdor
02-01-2013, 10:30 AM
I had the money, wouldn't you search for a "coupon" if one were available?

"I'd like to pay full price for these wares please!" :D

A "coupon" for changing the name of your bastard child? damn dude, some things should be paid in full. I'm sorry to hear that thispego
household is still not doing so well. Hey, if you didn't get all those speeding tickets, maybe you could have gotten that better job, remembah?:depressed

ashbeeigh
02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Oh, it all makes sense now - making a shit salary after 7 ears of study - but you're doing it for da kids:cry

Besides, I doubt Aussie guy mentioned anything about wanting to make shit money for the rest of his life just so he can help out veterans and kids....

Okay. Well, I know we'll never agree so I'm done arguing. Have a good day sitting a a cubicle while I'm sitting at home in my pajamas writing case notes.

Blake
02-01-2013, 10:40 AM

Why would a social worker in pajamas be firing me.

Sportcamper
02-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Aussie I have a friend who has a degree in Film from NYU…He could not land a job that paid over 15 dollars per hour…He went back to school and became a licensed therapist…In So Cal our therapist have therapist…Our dogs see a therapist…In any case my friend is making 200k a year for asking self absorbed rich people “and how did that make you feel”…Seems to me with a degree in psychology you are more than half way there…

ploto
02-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Post grad education is only worth it in a very few fields......and if you're barely making 40k after you get it, then this is definitely not one of those.

There are plenty of fields that REQUIRE a Master's Degree but start at about $40,000 for those who choose that this is the work they want to pursue. Not everyone makes decisions based on how they will make the most money.

ashbeeigh
02-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Why would a social worker in pajamas be firing me.

I didn't say I would be firing you. I said he would be firing you. HR is not my gig.

TheRealCB
02-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Well,there are people in Greece that have degrees in economics or engineering and can't get a job.Let alone psychology. fml :depressed

Blake
02-01-2013, 11:17 AM
I didn't say I would be firing you. I said he would be firing you. HR is not my gig.

Yeah I can tell.

The only way an HR rep can recommend firing anyone is if they do/say something really stupid.

Saying lol psychology degree under an anonymous screen name on a sports message board on your own time is not one of those things.

coyotes_geek
02-01-2013, 11:28 AM

Here in America we just crank out way more psych graduates than there are jobs available in that field. So the story about a psych major not being able to find a job is pretty common over here and a negative stereotype around that degree has been created as a result.

I. Hustle
02-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Should have gone for an art history degree tbh.

TheRealCB
02-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Should have gone for an art history degree tbh.

BUMP
02-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Here in America we just crank out way more psych graduates than there are jobs available in that field. So the story about a psych major not being able to find a job is pretty common over here and a negative stereotype around that degree has been created as a result.

This. I took an intro to Psych class and it is pretty interesting so it's understandable why a lot of people choose it but then again a lot go on to further education so there's no point in hiring graduates with only B.S. degrees.

Axe Murderer
02-01-2013, 01:04 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-01-2013, 01:13 PM
:lmao is 40k a year with a masters degree supposed to be good?

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
The bottom line is that any non-technical undergrad degree today is the equivalent to what a high school diploma was 30+ years ago (while high school diplomas aren't worth the paper they're on). The labor force is so flooded with people who get a liberal arts degree that a mere degree is worthless without a skill that is actually used in the real world.

resistanze
02-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Hell, masters in scientific fields are not what they used to be. I came out with my Masters and couldn't find jackshit. I needed to attend a post-grad program tailor to the pharma field (w/ an internsip component) before I found my career.

coyotes_geek
02-01-2013, 02:54 PM
The labor force is so flooded with people who get a liberal arts degree that a mere degree is worthless without a skill that is actually used in the real world.

On a silver lining note, the US does have the best educated barristas in the world. So there's something for us to feel good about.

thispego
02-01-2013, 03:00 PM
A "coupon" for changing the name of your bastard child? damn dude, some things should be paid in full. I'm sorry to hear that thispego
household is still not doing so well. Hey, if you didn't get all those speeding tickets, maybe you could have gotten that better job, remembah?:depressed

You don't always look for ways to cut costs? I'm sorry but that's just foolish :lol

Speeding tickets are off my record. I now only have 1 ticket in the past 3 years :D

I was able to get in to the job I have now over a year ago despite my driving record. I've been pretty fortunate and was able to get in to something I love doing based on my other merits, they were willing to overlook the speeding tickets as long as I stayed ticket free for a year, which I completed in December. The job pays well, but as you know, our financial situation allows us to choose careers that we enjoy rather than careers that pay us the most. We already have way more than we would ever need, quarterly vacations wherever we want, just a matter of keeping ourselves busy in between.

Things really looking good for ol' pego :tu

btw you workin on my autobiography, badodor? keep up tha good work bruh :tu

GoodOdor
02-01-2013, 03:05 PM
btw you workin on my autobiography, badodor? keep up tha good work bruh :tu

What should I name the chapter about you bailing on your pregnant girlfriends and soon to be born son, tbh?

thispego
02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Uhhhmm, the autobiographies are supposed to be non-fiction I thought? You thinkin outside the box tho - I like that :tu

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-01-2013, 03:35 PM
On a silver lining note, the US does have the best educated barristas in the world. So there's something for us to feel good about.
Agreed, I had Starbucks this morning while studying for a math test and it was delicious.

Axe Murderer
02-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Bottom line is that internships/work experience trumps the GPA in most fields. Employers want people who can help their company and actually having relevant work experience is more important than being good at doing homework and studying for tests.

resistanze
02-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Bottom line is that internships/work experience trumps the GPA in most fields. Employers want people who can help their company and actually having relevant work experience is more important than being good at doing homework and studying for tests.
That's it, and that's all, tbh.

FkLA
02-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Aussie I have a friend who has a degree in Film from NYU…He could not land a job that paid over 15 dollars per hour…He went back to school and became a licensed therapist…In So Cal our therapist have therapist…Our dogs see a therapist…In any case my friend is making 200k a year for asking self absorbed rich people “and how did that make you feel”…Seems to me with a degree in psychology you are more than half way there…

Pretty sure shrinks are psychiatrists not psychologists. I think psychologists make less money and cant really prescribe medication, they act more like counselors tbh.

ashbeeigh
02-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Pretty sure shrinks are psychiatrists not psychologists. I think psychologists make less money and cant really prescribe medication, they act more like counselors tbh.

You areright, Psychologists cannot prescribe things. There are also huge differences between psychologists and therapists. Psychologists usually have a PhD in Psychology and most of the time do assessments of people. They diagnosis people with disorders. Therapists also can diagnosis, but not to the extent that psychologists do. Therapists can have a number of degrees, all of which require different levels of higher education. There are LPC, MFTs and LCSWs that are all therapists and go through different training. Yes, some therapists make bank, but it takes lots of time to go through that and build up a clientele that will produce that large of an income. And as I said before some people in the right area can make a good amount of money. Military social workers (LCSWS...therapists) can start with a base salary of 80,000. My 40,000 is in a community based non-profit world not a government based job.

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Join the military, get real-world experience, then enter the workforce as an experienced professional.

mavs>spurs
02-02-2013, 02:03 AM
^yeah, go get killed in afghanistan that'll look great on your resume err i mean death certificate. dumbass.

Axe Murderer
02-02-2013, 02:22 AM
^yeah, go get killed in afghanistan that'll look great on your resume err i mean death certificate. dumbass.

robinlopez.gif

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Join the military, get real-world experience, then enter the workforce as an experienced professional.

:lol murdering a bunch of kids in a 3rd world country and then peeing on their bodies isn't real-word experience

thispego
02-02-2013, 11:49 AM
rofl. Military experience is becoming more of a negative on a resume than a positive. Seeing as how they let fuckin anyone in the military these days :lol

GoodOdor
02-02-2013, 11:50 AM
:lol murdering a bunch of kids in a 3rd world country and then peeing on their bodies isn't real-word experience

"So, can you tell me about any instance where you had a conflict with someone, and how did you solve it?"

"There's this group of kids that used to throw rocks at me back in Afghanistan, so I shot them, then killed their families."

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-02-2013, 12:40 PM
rofl. Military experience is becoming more of a negative on a resume than a positive. Seeing as how they let fuckin anyone in the military these days :lol
:lol truth bombs

Joining the military basically screams, "I graduated from high school, didn't have a next step, and I have this loser cousin I always looked up to who joined the marines so that's what I did!" It's basically the opposite of real world experience as it's something people who aren't prepared for the real world and/or are scared of the world do.

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-02-2013, 12:44 PM
"So, can you tell me about any instance where you had a conflict with someone, and how did you solve it?"

"There's this group of kids that used to throw rocks at me back in Afghanistan, so I shot them, then killed their families."

"Name a time you played the role of leader in a group project and what steps you took to lead."

"We got orders from our commanding officer to torture Iraqi POWs in the most humiliating fashion. No one else was able to come up with homoerotic torture ideas, so I had to take command and mentor my squad in the methods of sexual humiliation."

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 03:18 PM
:lol Dipshits with their predictable and ignorant schtick taking the bait.

Like it or not, the military remains among the most respected professions and there are countless initiatives to get veterans employed.

Australia has it in their top 10. Facts fly in the face of whatever misguided stereotypes you idiots like to promote.

O.J. Simpson
02-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Like it or not, the military remains among the most respected professions and there are countless initiatives to get veterans employed.

Why do we need initiatives to get veterans hired? Maybe it's due to the lack of formal education and puppy cliff-throwing tendencies?

GoodOdor
02-02-2013, 04:34 PM
"Initiatives to get veterans hired" is basically the army's version of affirmative action:lol

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Why do we need initiatives to get veterans hired? Maybe it's due to the lack of formal education and puppy cliff-throwing tendencies?

Don't ask me...ask the executives for the dozens of Fortune 500 companies that have voluntarily instituted the initiatives.

My opinion would be inevitably biased, though much more informed than your ridiculous opinion.

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 04:55 PM
"Initiatives to get veterans hired" is basically the army's version of affirmative action:lol

Look up the 100,000 Jobs Mission. Last I checked, affirmative action was government driven...not a concept of profit-seeking institutions like Chase.

O.J. Simpson
02-02-2013, 04:58 PM
:lol The worst version of affirmative action but never gets any flack
:lol Being forced to hire a psychopath with no education

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 05:05 PM
:lol The worst version of affirmative action but never gets any flack
:lol Being forced to hire a psychopath with no education

Seriously misinformed post, but I'm not surprised. There's nothing mandatory about it.

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Look up the 100,000 Jobs Mission. Last I checked, affirmative action was government driven...not a concept of profit-seeking institutions like Chase.

They advertise it as a corporate social responsibility project, i.e. something done to help image, not profits.

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 05:25 PM
:lol truth bombs

Joining the military basically screams, "I graduated from high school, didn't have a next step, and I have this loser cousin I always looked up to who joined the marines so that's what I did!" It's basically the opposite of real world experience as it's something people who aren't prepared for the real world and/or are scared of the world do.

You have an incredibly myopic view of those who serve and the reason they join.

I would argue that there are just as many who go to college and grad school because they have no idea what they want to do with their lives, but they rack up thousands of dollars in student loans to check a box instead of learning a trade and getting work experience.

GoodOdor
02-02-2013, 05:27 PM
They advertise it as a corporate social responsibility project, i.e. something done to help image, not profits.

"We're just doing our best to help those who are less fortunate than normal people, you know, the homeless, the drug addicted, the hungry, the veterans, etc:cry"

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-02-2013, 05:27 PM
You have an incredibly myopic view of those who serve and the reason they join.

I would argue that there are just as many who go to college and grad school because they have no idea what they want to do with their lives, but they rack up thousands of dollars in student loans to check a box instead of learning a trade and getting work experience.
I wouldn't disagree with that at all.

Blake
02-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Wow, AF Blue makes joining the military sound great!

DeadlyDynasty
02-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Service before self

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Service before self

tbh

Blake
02-02-2013, 05:40 PM
God
Corps
Country

Imo

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-02-2013, 05:46 PM
:lol Dipshits with their predictable and ignorant schtick taking the bait.

Australia has it in their top 10. Facts fly in the face of whatever misguided stereotypes you idiots like to promote.

http://100000jobsmission.com/more_info

We know that one of the biggest issues facing men and women in the armed forces is finding good jobs when they leave active duty. Veteran unemployment is a pressing issue for our country. The unemployment rate for recent veterans ages 18-25 is significantly higher than the national average.

You can throw rhetoric around like "most respected" all you want, the stats show that veterans face unemployment at a much higher rate than normal. If private sector companies really valued military experience and were jumping at the bit to hire veterans, the stats would suggest something different.

The reason initiatives to get veterans hired exist is because they struggle to get jobs on their own once they leave duty. It's something done out of pity, not something done out of the company's self-interest. If it was done out of self-interest, there wouldn't be any initiative. Hiring veterans would take place on its own.

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Direct quote from the website...

We believe that hiring veterans is not only the right thing to do for veterans, but it's a great thing to do for our businesses. Our nation's military and veterans represent the best this country has to offer and they bring meaningful skills to the workplace.

That's not social responsibility without respect for profitability. A better example of that may be the home Chase gives away to wounded veterans for free.

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 06:08 PM
:lol Both of us quoting the same article and reading two different things into it. It shows clear bias on both our parts.

But, the fact remains that military experience is viewed favorably and provides a clear advantage in the search for a job. Our Aussie friend Kurt would find hunting easier if he had it on his resume. Can't run away from it, no matter how you try to justify it as something other than smart business.

GoodOdor
02-02-2013, 06:10 PM
:lol Both of us quoting the same article and reading two different things into it. It shows clear bias on both our parts.

But, the fact remains that military experience is viewed favorably and provides a clear advantage in the search for a job. Our Aussie friend Kurt would find hunting easier if he had it on his resume. Can't run away from it, no matter how you try to justify it as something other than smart business.

Then why do veterans face a higher unemployment rate than civilians?

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 06:20 PM

You can throw rhetoric around like "most respected" all you want, the stats show that veterans face unemployment at a much higher rate than normal. If private sector companies really valued military experience and were jumping at the bit to hire veterans, the stats would suggest something different.

The reason initiatives to get veterans hired exist is because they struggle to get jobs on their own once they leave duty. It's something done out of pity, not something done out of the company's self-interest. If it was done out of self-interest, there wouldn't be any initiative. Hiring veterans would take place on its own.

I don't know if you're up on current events, but there was a massive drawdown of troops in Iraq last year and another drawdown planned in Afghanistan. You can't expect a low unemployment rate when a flood of thousands of new entrants into the job market is combined with an economy in recession.

Blake
02-02-2013, 06:23 PM

It's even worse for women:

The portion of post-9/11 veterans seeking work fell to 9.7 percent last month, compared to 10.1 percent in August and 11.7 percent in September 2011, according to BLS figures.

However, nearly one out of five women who served in the military at home or abroad during the two wars is now without a job, the new BLS statistics show. As the U.S. troop drawdown continues in Afghanistan, the unemployment rate for post-9/11 female vets surged to 19.9 percent in September, compared to 14.7 percent a year earlier and 12.1 percent in August.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/05/14244058-veteran-unemployment-rate-dips-but-crisis-deepens-for-ex-military-women?lite

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 06:23 PM

Read: drawdown (influx) + recession = greater than average unemployment relative to the civilian population.

Blake
02-02-2013, 06:24 PM
I don't know if you're up on current events, but there was a massive drawdown of troops in Iraq last year and another drawdown planned in Afghanistan. You can't expect a low unemployment rate when a flood of thousands of new entrants into the job market is combined with an economy in recession.

Wow, even more great reasons to join the military!

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 06:32 PM
:lol Blake joining the butthurt clan

I can't help it that the military is viewed as a respected profession, having that experience is advantageous to getting a job, and it doesn't match with your view of a veteran.

BUMP
02-02-2013, 06:39 PM
I can't help it that the military is viewed as a respected profession, having that experience is advantageous to getting a job

What kind of jobs are you referring to?

ashbeeigh
02-02-2013, 06:39 PM
My brother in law just finished with the military, has a degree in like "Human Factors Engineering" or some bs and has been sitting on his butt since he got home in November living off his military unemployment. My sister, who has no degree and no military experience, came home and had a job within two weeks. Yep. That military work sure was a bonus for him. :rolleyes

At least that's one person that I'm making more money than.

baseline bum
02-02-2013, 06:42 PM

Then I threw their fucking dog off the cliff

resistanze
02-02-2013, 06:42 PM
I can't help it that the military is viewed as a respected profession, having that experience is advantageous to getting a job, and it doesn't match with your view of a veteran.

Read: drawdown (influx) + recession = greater than average unemployment relative to the civilian population.
wat

BUMP
02-02-2013, 06:50 PM
My brother in law just finished with the military, has a degree in like "Human Factors Engineering" or some bs and has been sitting on his butt since he got home in November living off his military unemployment. My sister, who has no degree and no military experience, came home and had a job within two weeks. Yep. That military work sure was a bonus for him. :rolleyes

That's because he was looking for a big boy job in the engineering industry where they'll laugh in your face if you think you can just walk in there and expect to get a job because you were in the military. In those areas, employers only care about work experience/skill in the field and det's about it. Not just military but any other "respected" organization.

Let's say two guys, with computer science degrees, are applying for a software developing company.

1. Guy 1: Was an honorary member of the Boy Scouts, joined a million organizations in college, has a 3.4 GPA, tons of friends, social, outgoing, etc

2. Guy 2: Lives in his mom's basement eating his boogers, has no friends, doesn't know where the vagina is located, joins no organizations, 3.1 GPA, morbidly obese, has developed numerous software programs and is exceptional in Microsoft programs.

Guess who's getting the job?

leemajors
02-02-2013, 06:57 PM
I dunno if Human Factors Engineering is a traditional "engineering" degree, seems mostly about workplace ergonomics.

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 07:09 PM

I'll trade one anecdote for another. I was out of the military for less than a month and am pretty sure I make double what you make.

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 07:13 PM
What kind of jobs are you referring to?

You name it. Unless it requires a specific license the military doesn't offer, I'd say they have an advantage.

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 07:15 PM
wat

Put simply...higher than average unemployment for veterans is largely due to external factors and not a general unwillingness to hire them as a specific bloc of the unemployed.

AussieFanKurt
02-02-2013, 07:17 PM
:lol how did this turn into an argument about the military

Blake
02-02-2013, 07:18 PM
I'll trade one anecdote for another. I was out of the military for less than a month and am pretty sure I make double what you make

I've heard people get tortured and/or killed after joining the military.

Is that true?

BUMP
02-02-2013, 07:24 PM
You name it. Unless it requires a specific license the military doesn't offer, I'd say they have an advantage.

Any job that requires a minimum bachelor's degree tbh.

I've never heard from anybody that being in the military will give you a leg up on someone else who's competing for the same job with the same degree. That goes with any non-related organization not just the military.

And think about it from the hiring perspective. You want to hire the candidate who's going to be the best fit for your company while you have limited openings. You're obviously going to want to hire someone who has skills in your field. If I was looking over resumes, military experience or any other random organization you happen to be in isn't going to be a factor unless it's somehow related to what I'm looking for.

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 07:29 PM
:lol how did this turn into an argument about the military

:lol I fed a few :troll

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Direct quote from the website...

That's not social responsibility without respect for profitability. A better example of that may be the home Chase gives away to wounded veterans for free.
It helps their profitability because the general public thinks they're extremely noble for hiring unskilled veterans. It's similar to hipsters who go to Starbucks because Starbucks boasts about how it doesn't get coffee beans from plantations that exploit labor in 3rd world countries.

It's viewed favorably compared to the giant 6+ month long gap a lot of 17-25 year olds have on their resume, that I agree with. If military experience is literally the tie breaker between two otherwise identical candidates, it's probably also viewed favorably, but it's not getting someone a job over someone else with more experience, a more relevant field of study and better grades. Someone who goes to the same college as me, has the same major as me, has the same GPA as me w/ similar internship experience AND also has military experience would have had a leg up on me (that hypothetical person didn't exist though) during the recruitment process last semester, but anyone with my major has to almost try to not get a job.

The beef I think GoodOdor and I have is people delusional enough to think a high school diploma + military experience = being able to get the same job college graduates can get. People who go to college and pick a technical major but have military experience to boot aren't the people i scoff.

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-02-2013, 08:00 PM
I'll trade one anecdote for another. I was out of the military for less than a month and am pretty sure I make double what you make.

IIRC, you're also educated and you got a banking job w/o the initiative thing.

Woo Bum-kon
02-02-2013, 08:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xaJVocF.gif

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 08:38 PM
IIRC, you're also educated and you got a banking job w/o the initiative thing.

:lol

I know this is hard to believe, but some veterans actually have degrees when they get out of the military. I know it doesn't fit your puppy-throwing grunt image of the military, but we do exist.

AFBlue
02-02-2013, 08:50 PM
It helps their profitability because the general public thinks they're extremely noble for hiring unskilled veterans. It's similar to hipsters who go to Starbucks because Starbucks boasts about how it doesn't get coffee beans from plantations that exploit labor in 3rd world countries.

It's viewed favorably compared to the giant 6+ month long gap a lot of 17-25 year olds have on their resume, that I agree with. If military experience is literally the tie breaker between two otherwise identical candidates, it's probably also viewed favorably, but it's not getting someone a job over someone else with more experience, a more relevant field of study and better grades. Someone who goes to the same college as me, has the same major as me, has the same GPA as me w/ similar internship experience AND also has military experience would have had a leg up on me (that hypothetical person didn't exist though) during the recruitment process last semester, but anyone with my major has to almost try to not get a job.

The beef I think GoodOdor and I have is people delusional enough to think a high school diploma + military experience = being able to get the same job college graduates can get. People who go to college and pick a technical major but have military experience to boot aren't the people i scoff.

I actually don't have much beef with this argument. I'm not blind enough to think that corporations don't expect some profit driven by the positive press, nor am I dilusional enough to think the military is a magic trump card in spite of an inferior resume/bad fit.

thispego
02-02-2013, 08:54 PM

Yowch! Spin it all you want afblue but this is the way it is. It's charity for "veterans"

DMC
02-02-2013, 09:53 PM
To the nOPe, I already see your problem, you should have coupled that degree with some cultural studies. You would have been golden.

Start a blog and cut your wrists slowly every day. Write about interesting things like soup and clover infestations. If it gets really bad, film a documentary. You can beg for money here for a Super 8 and some film. 200 should do it. Kill your cousin for sympathy.

But look at the bright side, at least you can look for jobs without some evil gun owner looking at you.

DMC
02-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Yowch! Spin it all you want afblue but this is the way it is. It's charity for "veterans"

Doesn't Taco Bell have a pension program?

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-02-2013, 09:59 PM
To the nOPe, I already see your problem, you should have coupled that degree with some cultural studies. You would have been golden.

Start a blog and cut your wrists slowly every day. Write about interesting things like soup and clover infestations. If it gets really bad, film a documentary. You can beg for money here for a Super 8 and some film. 200 should do it. Kill your cousin for sympathy.

But look at the bright side, at least you can look for jobs without some evil gun owner looking at you.

Brah he's already culturally rich with his degree in psychology. More than you'll ever be.

ashbeeigh
02-02-2013, 11:19 PM
I dunno if Human Factors Engineering is a traditional "engineering" degree, seems mostly about workplace ergonomics.

You are correct.

Well how about a round of applause for you. Great job. Apparently it's not hard to make more than me. Which was established -300000 pages ago.

Expert
02-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Any job that requires a minimum bachelor's degree tbh.

I've never heard from anybody that being in the military will give you a leg up on someone else who's competing for the same job with the same degree. That goes with any non-related organization not just the military.

And think about it from the hiring perspective. You want to hire the candidate who's going to be the best fit for your company while you have limited openings. You're obviously going to want to hire someone who has skills in your field. If I was looking over resumes, military experience or any other random organization you happen to be in isn't going to be a factor unless it's somehow related to what I'm looking for.

Jobs that require security clearance, operational analysts for defense contractors, any company who works for/with the DoD (including many high tech companies) look to recruit ex-military, especially officers. At least that's what Wild Cobra told me after he tracked me down to the remote island I was inhabiting, using nothing more than a shadow on puffer fish he saw on Blue Planet.

thispego
02-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Doesn't Taco Bell have a pension program?

Wouldn't know, bishop ryan

DMC
02-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Brah he's already culturally rich with his degree in psychology. More than you'll ever be.

You're right though. I wish I had more culture training and education. I might take out a loan on my house and go back to school for Women's Studies.

leemajors
02-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Wouldn't know, bishop ryan

pretty far off there

thispego
02-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Yeah right, that dude is bishop Ryan, or a fuckin loser just like him. Lol teenage daughter having a baby. Raised a slut :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-03-2013, 03:11 PM
You're right though. I wish I had more culture training and education. I might take out a loan on my house and go back to school for Women's Studies.

Wow, that sounds like it's very culturally enriching. You'll have more cultural wealth than you'll know what to do with. When you go into strip clubs you'll be able to make it rain with culture.

DMC
02-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Wow, that sounds like it's very culturally enriching. You'll have more cultural wealth than you'll know what to do with. When you go into strip clubs you'll be able to make it rain with culture.

It'll be a Culture Club in fact.

DMC
02-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Yeah right, that dude is bishop Ryan, or a fuckin loser just like him. Lol teenage daughter having a baby. Raised a slut :lol

lol shacked up in a travel trailer with BSC and mom.

thispego
02-03-2013, 11:24 PM
I speak the truth...you don't. Dets tha difference.

So when did your daughter start sleeping around? How long did it take for her to get knocked up? When did you realize there was a problem?

ploto
02-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Once upon a time, people left the military and went straight into Civil Service jobs, but that is not the case anymore.

AussieFanKurt
03-21-2013, 08:37 PM
just to go back to this.... i've got a few calls.. so far they've been a mix of you need more experience for this role (understandable) and you are too qualified for this job.. we need someone who is after an entry level job.... ummmmm

The Reckoning
03-22-2013, 07:58 AM
lol australia. cant you guys just walk into any coles and get a managerial job or onto a construction site and start working your way up?

TDMVPDPOY
03-22-2013, 11:18 AM
just to go back to this.... i've got a few calls.. so far they've been a mix of you need more experience for this role (understandable) and you are too qualified for this job.. we need someone who is after an entry level job.... ummmmm

LOL u idiot even if you remove ur qualifications, they will say ur under qualified, dont get mad at the fake PR HR games of fake jobs and screening of applicants...fck them.

im seriously considering doing the cpa or ca program now after leaving my degree eating dusts for 5 years now, i heard the cpa program is hard now since they got rid of multiple choice questions or someshit, anyway im looking towards enrolling for 2nd half...got offered a job by a friend, but counting other peoples money is not my thing...

TDMVPDPOY
03-22-2013, 11:20 AM
lol australia. cant you guys just walk into any coles and get a managerial job or onto a construction site and start working your way up?

20yrs ago yes, but today even the lamest jobs you need some sort of qualification paperwork, its fkn lame....even a stupid cleaner needs some sort of health and safety certificate, how fkn lame is that

AussieFanKurt
03-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Everything you new something for and there's hardly any entry level jobs

mavs>spurs
03-22-2013, 06:20 PM
i got a job in like 3 weeks, use indeed.com and career builder. go to your schools career fairs and use your schools employer database.

Latarian Milton
03-22-2013, 07:13 PM
getting employed right out of school might be the best chance for a graduate to get a decent job tbh, lets say if he/she leaves school remaining unemployed for a few months, chance is he/she will spend even a longer time being unemployed and when he/she finally gets employed, it's most likely gonna be a deadend shitty job, one that you had to take to raise your family or shit, unless you get back to school and get an advanced degree or shit

The Reckoning
03-23-2013, 12:48 PM
yeah right you aussies can be career students. gov gives full tuition loan with 0% interest that you dont have to pay back until you're through. why dont you just go get another degree?

AussieFanKurt
03-23-2013, 09:00 PM
yeah right you aussies can be career students. gov gives full tuition loan with 0% interest that you dont have to pay back until you're through. why dont you just go get another degree?

because I hate studying

FkLA
03-23-2013, 09:41 PM
go back and become and engineer bro

AussieFanKurt
03-23-2013, 09:42 PM

yeah my sis doing engineering and will rake in the money once shes done

CosmicCowboy
03-25-2013, 05:05 PM
I've hired two kids in the last month the are a year or so out of high school and intentionally didn't want any experience or baggage. I just wanted to make sure they wanted a career and not a job, weren't afraid to get dirty, and understood that I didn't want laborers...I can get those anywhere...I wanted guys that could grow into leaders with the proper direction and training.

CosmicCowboy
03-25-2013, 05:28 PM
And to the OP, choosing to pursue an undergraduate degree in psychology as a stepping stone to a job hunt shows an incredible lack of good judgement. That's like the poster child of stupid.

GoodOdor
03-25-2013, 05:33 PM
I've hired two kids in the last month the are a year or so out of high school and intentionally didn't want any experience or baggage. I just wanted to make sure they wanted a career and not a job, weren't afraid to get dirty, and understood that I didn't want laborers...I can get those anywhere...I wanted guys that could grow into leaders with the proper direction and training.

Nice pitch, but at the end of the day you're just hiring plumbers:lol

"if you work really really hard, the sky is the limit! in 5 years, it could be you 3 ft deep in shit, making 5 figures!!!"

CosmicCowboy
03-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Nice pitch, but at the end of the day you're just hiring plumbers:lol

My "plumbers" are making 50-70K a year + 100% health insurance for them and their family and leaving the "office" everyday at 2pm.

How much are YOU making, stud?

GoodOdor
03-25-2013, 05:40 PM
My "plumbers" are making 50-70K a year + 100% health insurance for them and their family and leaving the "office" everyday at 2pm.

How much are YOU making, stud?

So you pay fresh out of highschool kids 50-70k year +100% health insurance?:lol

Honestly, it would take a lot more than 70k for me to spend my time knee-deep in shit, used condoms and tampons....

Does the smell ever come off, tbh?

CosmicCowboy
03-25-2013, 05:44 PM
So you pay fresh out of highschool kids 50-70k year +100% health insurance?:lol

Honestly, it would take a lot more than 70k for me to spend my time knee-deep in shit, used condoms and tampons....

Does the smell ever come off, tbh?

They aren't plumbers at all dickbreath, and yeah I'm starting them (first day knowing nothing) @ only about 25K a year but they are single and just out of high school.

So what do you do that makes you so high and mighty, asshole?

GoodOdor
03-25-2013, 05:46 PM
They aren't plumbers at all dickbreath, and yeah I'm starting them (first day knowing nothing) @ only about 25K a year but they are single and just out of high school.

Calm down bro, I was kidding:lol

Can't hate on anyone working to support himself/his family, no matter what job it is.

mavs>spurs
03-25-2013, 05:48 PM
you have to actually be talented though, not just major in it

GoodOdor
03-25-2013, 05:49 PM
you have to actually be talented though, not just major in it

Also you have to go to a real school, usta engineering degree is about as useful as aids.

DUNCANownsKOBE
03-25-2013, 05:50 PM
:corn:

CosmicCowboy
03-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Also you have to go to a real school, usta engineering degree is about as useful as aids.

I get it now. You are majoring in dyslexia and haven't joined the real world yet.

And FYI I picked up a few engineering classes there a few years back just for a personal continuing education thing (I already have my degree) and was very impressed with the staff.

GoodOdor
03-25-2013, 05:57 PM
I get it now. You are majoring in dyslexia and haven't joined the real world yet.

And FYI I picked up a few engineering classes there a few years back just for a personal continuing education thing (I already have my degree) and was very impressed with the staff.

Aren't you old as fuck? why bother trying to learn something new when your senile brain will forget it by next week?

DUNCANownsKOBE
03-25-2013, 06:00 PM

This is a serious question just out of curiosity, but what makes you decide on who to hire for these^ positions? You probably have a bevy of people to chose from since the job market for unskilled high school graduates isn't exactly booming, and I'm sure they all bullshit that they're "in it for the long haul" when they interview with you, whether or not they actually are. Are you just really good at detecting who the bullshitters are when you interview them?

FkLA
03-25-2013, 06:09 PM

Its a fully accredited program. Its just these niggas little schtick, dont even bother with them bro.

DUNCANownsKOBE
03-25-2013, 06:12 PM
http://www.independentsalesorganization.com/images/jobs_at_home.jpg

CosmicCowboy
03-25-2013, 06:13 PM
This is a serious question just out of curiosity, but what makes you decide on who to hire for these^ positions? You probably have a bevy of people to chose from since the job market for unskilled high school graduates isn't exactly booming, and I'm sure they all bullshit that they're "in it for the long haul" when they interview with you, whether or not they actually are. Are you just really good at detecting who the bullshitters are when you interview them?

It's an excellent question. I'm not a normal manager. I run loose 2-3 man teams as jobs require and I have core team leaders. I take care of them and they take care of me. I'm a final decision maker but I give them huge latitude. If i have a job that we have to bid I will send a team leader out to look at it, he will come back with notes, we will talk about it and then I will then handle everything from there up to getting the purchase order to do the job. If I I get the job, I am the facilitator to make sure they have every single thing they need to do it. My team leaders are my talent scouts. They bring a guy to me, they own him. It's a really proud group of guys.

TDMVPDPOY
03-25-2013, 07:02 PM
yeah my sis doing engineering and will rake in the money once shes done

posts pics of sister clown

what field she in? i got a friend who studied aerospace eng...hard field to get into for positions, lol ended up being full time sports better instead

got a female friend who was also in the same field, she ended up working on some ship dockyard building ships/military in adelaide, heard shes working on some oil platform atm earning the big bucks...

had another friend got into industrial eng, i think thats more common work since govt is always rebuilding infrastructure and shit...

TDMVPDPOY
03-25-2013, 07:06 PM

25k sounds about right for non skilled work without any formal certificates, actually thats alot for first year pay and 2nd year pay apprentices...

when you do ur years of training and fully skilled is when you earn the big bucks individually or as a business....then again skilled labour sole traders are usually cash in hand clowns

AussieFanKurt
03-25-2013, 07:59 PM
posts pics of sister clown

what field she in? i got a friend who studied aerospace eng...hard field to get into for positions, lol ended up being full time sports better instead

got a female friend who was also in the same field, she ended up working on some ship dockyard building ships/military in adelaide, heard shes working on some oil platform atm earning the big bucks...

had another friend got into industrial eng, i think thats more common work since govt is always rebuilding infrastructure and shit...

pass, son

shes doing mechanical engineering i think - thats what shes best at.

yeah chicks who do engineering seem to earn big bucks because 99% of engineers are blokes/people with asbergers

The Reckoning
03-25-2013, 09:15 PM
yeah im with CC. i have a friend who dropped out of high school and learned to be a carpenter. ended up working on condos and invested a high percentage of his income into apple. before the new iphone shipped he sold all of his stock. he's now a millionaire and only 21 years old and drops a couple 100k into investments every year and lives off of the dividends.

fuck the system.

apalisoc_9
03-25-2013, 10:01 PM
It's an excellent question. I'm not a normal manager. I run loose 2-3 man teams as jobs require and I have core team leaders. I take care of them and they take care of me. I'm a final decision maker but I give them huge latitude. If i have a job that we have to bid I will send a team leader out to look at it, he will come back with notes, we will talk about it and then I will then handle everything from there up to getting the purchase order to do the job. If I I get the job, I am the facilitator to make sure they have every single thing they need to do it. My team leaders are my talent scouts. They bring a guy to me, they own him. It's a really proud group of guys.

You mentioned that you do hire kids out of high-school and presented a few qualities you like in an employee but you now mention that you let your team leaders do the scouting? Maybe I'm just not getting it, but I don't see how you answered his question as far as "hiring" kids. You're still at risk because any of these kids can bullshit their stories with managers and youd think your mangers is giving you a potential leader in the future.

How do you hire your leaders? Do they all get promoted internally?

OP, get a new degree man, Seriously psychology? Why not further your education and go to law or any other course where your psychology credits would be of use..or get two year experience then get an MBA after? Where I go to school, they have career counseling that points us to certain comapnies that would hire fresh graduates..check your school man and see if they offer that kind of service.

I don't know the demand in Australia, but assuming you started unemployed when you started this thread, two months aint really that bad..keep sending resumes, go to career orientations, and again go back to your school and ask if there's any future career fairs etc..In our business related courses here in school, there's about one or two career fairs every semester..Check it out bro. Good luck!

TDMVPDPOY
03-25-2013, 11:57 PM
yeah im with CC. i have a friend who dropped out of high school and learned to be a carpenter. ended up working on condos and invested a high percentage of his income into apple. before the new iphone shipped he sold all of his stock. he's now a millionaire and only 21 years old and drops a couple 100k into investments every year and lives off of the dividends.

fuck the system.

my friend did a GED equivalent for computer science, graduates out of GED school...first job was 100k annually programming during the peak of the industry....got fired after 2 years with the company, work in retail and banking maintaining websites, now operates his own franchise retail outlet startup capital was free; all he does is just pay franchise yearly fees...his raking it in though...

his probably the only friend that i know is not living on credit, owns a few properties..

while most of my bank and finance friends own multiple residential properties and business ventures, all on credit though

you can also live that high banking life if ur willing to take on credit and talk out of ur asses that you own something the bank legally owns...

JudynTX
03-26-2013, 08:14 AM
Do you think Social Media prevents some people from getting hired?

CosmicCowboy
03-26-2013, 08:54 AM
You mentioned that you do hire kids out of high-school and presented a few qualities you like in an employee but you now mention that you let your team leaders do the scouting? Maybe I'm just not getting it, but I don't see how you answered his question as far as "hiring" kids. You're still at risk because any of these kids can bullshit their stories with managers and youd think your mangers is giving you a potential leader in the future.

How do you hire your leaders? Do they all get promoted internally?

OP, get a new degree man, Seriously psychology? Why not further your education and go to law or any other course where your psychology credits would be of use..or get two year experience then get an MBA after? Where I go to school, they have career counseling that points us to certain comapnies that would hire fresh graduates..check your school man and see if they offer that kind of service.

I don't know the demand in Australia, but assuming you started unemployed when you started this thread, two months aint really that bad..keep sending resumes, go to career orientations, and again go back to your school and ask if there's any future career fairs etc..In our business related courses here in school, there's about one or two career fairs every semester..Check it out bro. Good luck!

First, I used the term "team leader" but that is not a formal title. Nobody has a title including me. Most of my guys are Alphas but some are Alpha+'s. All are home grown. I cant' hire outsiders with the complete skill set I need. The Alphas can work together or alone depending on the job requirement. I also have a couple of Beta's that float between jobs crews. Salaries and raises are totally subjective and determined by me.

As far as hiring kids and being at "risk' that they bullshitted me I run that risk anytime I hire an employee.

The reason I give my Alpha employees significant input in the recruiting and hiring (final decision is still mine whether to hire them or not) Is that it gives them a vested interest and ownership in making sure the new employee is successful. They are a lot tougher on the new hires than I would ever be. My constant refrain to my Alphas is that "the more you teach them how to do and let them do, the less you have to do yourself".

As for your advice for him to go back to law school...I don't know about Australia, but in the US that is TERRIBLE advice unless they are an academic superstar and can get into a top ranked law school. 50% of lawyers that graduated a year ago are still unemployed and of those that are employed many are working as basically indentured servants for established attorneys. They only get to eat what they kill (hours they bill and get paid for) and the established attorney is raking as much as half of that.

AussieFanKurt
03-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Do you think Social Media prevents some people from getting hired?

maybe but I think the effect of social media on jobs is over exaggerated . as long as you don't have your display picture as something stupid you're probably fine and don't post anything too controversial on things like twitter

DUNCANownsKOBE
03-26-2013, 09:46 AM
First, I used the term "team leader" but that is not a formal title. Nobody has a title including me. Most of my guys are Alphas but some are Alpha+'s. All are home grown. I cant' hire outsiders with the complete skill set I need. The Alphas can work together or alone depending on the job requirement. I also have a couple of Beta's that float between jobs crews. Salaries and raises are totally subjective and determined by me.

As far as hiring kids and being at "risk' that they bullshitted me I run that risk anytime I hire an employee.

The reason I give my Alpha employees significant input in the recruiting and hiring (final decision is still mine whether to hire them or not) Is that it gives them a vested interest and ownership in making sure the new employee is successful. They are a lot tougher on the new hires than I would ever be. My constant refrain to my Alphas is that "the more you teach them how to do and let them do, the less you have to do yourself".

As for your advice for him to go back to law school...I don't know about Australia, but in the US that is TERRIBLE advice unless they are an academic superstar and can get into a top ranked law school. 50% of lawyers that graduated a year ago are still unemployed and of those that are employed many are working as basically indentured servants for established attorneys. They only get to eat what they kill (hours they bill and get paid for) and the established attorney is raking as much as half of that.
What CC said here about law school is spot on. There's a huge surplus of lawyers in this country right now and even if you get great grades at a B-list law school it leads to jack shit. The "get a worthless degree that 'interests you' for your undergrad then go to law school afterwards" plan that worked well 30+ years ago leads to nothing but massive student debt these days. A lot of grads don't even get the chance to work as lawyers and "eat what they kill" but instead take jobs as glorified paralegals after law school just so there isn't a big time gap on their resume. Unless these problems are idiosyncratic to America and it's much different elsewhere, law school will be nothing but a big money pit..

apalisoc_9
03-26-2013, 09:55 AM

Interesting.

What do you value more skill or attitude? It seems like every place i've ever worked on ( not that i've worked on a lot of companies already) value attitude, personality more than skill.

I sorta of assumed OP is a A+ student and studies in the best school in australia:lol. I think I got him mistaken with another aussie poster here.But yeah like i mentioned, i'm not totally aware of the job market in Australia just pointing out majors where his credits might be of use.