View Full Version : live 8

polandprzem
07-02-2005, 09:43 AM
give us your name

www.live8live.com

any thoughts on that idea ??

Faccia di Angelo
07-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Is anyone else gonna check this out? I think the Philadelphia show starts in an hour or so. I was watching streaming feed from Rome right now. I can't remember the last Live 8 concert they had. But why don't they want your money, just awareness?
I would have loved to have seen Duran Duran sing 'Ordinary World' to that Rome crowd.

3rdCoast
07-02-2005, 11:13 AM
WONDERFUL, THEY want us to drop the debt that they owe us, but what about what we owe to other countries? will they drop it for us? no. just wonderful. charity starts at home, in the u.s., help us before we go and try to fix the world

Duff McCartney
07-02-2005, 11:55 AM
I think Live 8 is great...I missed seeing Coldplay and Richard Ashcroft perform Bittersweet Symphony...that would have been beauiful. I think I'd have liked to see the Hyde Park Live 8, it has more artists that I like.

I still don't understand why they have commercials on the broadcast.

Duff McCartney
07-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Oh the Coldplay/Ashcroft song is on....beautiful.

Bluto Blutarsky
07-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah its on right now. very cool.

Duff McCartney
07-02-2005, 12:40 PM
Why is Pat Robertson in the One commercials? That dumb shit has no business being in those commercials. He's as big a thief as any corrupt UN politician.

Rita929
07-02-2005, 12:40 PM
I think the idea behind getting peoples names is so that itis obvious how many people are behind putting poverty reduction on the global agenda. the g8 summit (group of most industrialised democratic nations--ie most powerful, rich countries) are meeting in scotland this month--at heads of state level--they meet once a year to decide what the global issues are and what they want to achieve in the coming year (i think that was also the idea behind the name live8...so basically live8 is taking place right ahead of the summit to prompt world leaders to do something about poverty

T Park
07-02-2005, 12:45 PM
still wondering when Bono will donate some money.

He tells and campaigns for everyone to donate their money, but when it comes to his??

Not a red cent.

Practice what you preach BONO Bano, whatever.

MannyIsGod
07-02-2005, 12:57 PM

He tells and campaigns for everyone to donate their money, but when it comes to his??

Not a red cent.

Tpark, not that you ever have correct information, but here are a few things I think about this:

1. Time is more valuable than writing a check.
2. He does give money, as does his band.

So, what the hell are you talking about?

I don't know much about Bono's politics other than he's very active in the causes he believes in, but I do know that he's non apathetic which goes a long way torwards making progress on any problem.

Bluto Blutarsky
07-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Tpark, not that you ever have correct information, but here are a few things I think about this:

1. Time is more valuable than writing a check.
2. He does give money, as does his band.

So, what the hell are you talking about?

I don't know much about Bono's politics other than he's very active in the causes he believes in, but I do know that he's non apathetic which goes a long way torwards making progress on any problem.
No shit. God Tpark, get a clue.

Bono does do a hell of a lot and goes out of his way to spread his causes and put the message out there, more so than a lot of other very powerful people. He gets in the middle of things. He doesn't just talk the talk. He does give of his own and gets other people involved including his fans.

I really don't understand why some people dislike the guy. Even bigtime politicians who thought he was just some silly rock star have been won over by him. Why? Because he's a very smart, well spoken man with a desire to make changes.

scott
07-02-2005, 01:44 PM
T Park is just mad because Bono got a Spurs bobblehead and he didn't.

Slomo
07-02-2005, 02:00 PM

Not a red cent.

The title of his latest campaign (that he helped finance) was "We're not asking for your money, we're asking for your support". They were asking people to sign a petition to present at the G8 (as I believe is Live8).

Get your facts straight TPark.

Das Texan
07-02-2005, 02:55 PM
amazing cause. i hope it really goes somewhere.

i encourage all of you that care about the world and making the world a better place for everyone to sign the petition.

you can also goto their site at www.one.org

and tpark as he usually is 99 out of 100 times is out in left field with no damn clue. get your facts straight before opening your piehole son.

Duff McCartney
07-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Damn can Dido get any hotter?

AlamoSpursFan
07-02-2005, 04:08 PM
I've got it on in the background. I'm just waiting for Pink Floyd, then I'm out.

T Park
07-02-2005, 04:31 PM
1. Time is more valuable than writing a check

True.

Im just reffering to an article I read, where he was championing people to donate money to a cause, that he had not donated anything to.

The one cause, he champions for I have donated money, and have bought 500 wristbands that Im going to give to my fellow workers, and people that I know, so I am a huge supporter of what hes doing.

Its weird, supporting something that a goofball like George Clooney supports as well.

MannyIsGod
07-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Tpark, you need to stop taking everything right wingers say as gospel.

Shelly
07-02-2005, 04:48 PM
The Who still rules.

Duff McCartney
07-02-2005, 04:59 PM
I got an mp3 of Coldplay and Ashcroft playing Bittersweet Symphony. Damn Ashcroft still rocks the house. I am eagerly awaiting his next solo album.

Duff McCartney
07-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Pink Floyd on now.

Faccia di Angelo
07-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Damn, Pink Floyd. Made it just in time to see it.

Where'd you get the mp3?

MannyIsGod
07-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Rewind to the finals. Rob Thomas and Stevie Wonder performing together.

pooh
07-02-2005, 06:34 PM
It wasn't great...too short for that matter. Back in '85 for the original live aid, they went back and forth from London to Philadelphia, you didn't miss any performance. This was mainly to suit the generation who just can't sit still for five minutes. I can do without Madonna's performance. I would've liked to have seen more of Velvet Revolver though. The biggest highlights to me was the U2/McCartney rendition of Sgt.Pepper and the reformed Pink Floyd. I just wished they would've just stayed and show one groups whole performance, instead of skipping across the globe whenever an "interesting" act took the stage. Maybe Bob and company can get it right the next time. It doesn't hurt to go "old school" and remember the passion and excitement that was the original "Live Aid".

MannyIsGod
07-02-2005, 06:36 PM
It wasn't great...too short for that matter. Back in '85 for the original live aid, they went back and forth from London to Philadelphia, you didn't miss any performance. This was mainly to suit the generation who just can't sit still for five minutes. I can do without Madonna's performance. I would've liked to have seen more of Velvet Revolver though. The biggest highlights to me was the U2/McCartney rendition of Sgt.Pepper and the reformed Pink Floyd. I just wished they would've just stayed and show one groups whole performance, instead of skipping across the globe whenever an "interesting" act took the stage. Maybe Bob and company can get it right the next time. It doesn't hurt to go "old school" and remember the passion and excitement that was the original "Live Aid". You're the biggest bitch I know. I know you were a virgin for 30+ years, but you should be getting some on a regular basis now. So, what the hell is your excuse for being so anal?

They webcast the entire concert, so everyone could have seen what they wanted.

pooh
07-02-2005, 06:38 PM
I remember Live Aid, I'm sorry that you don't.

MannyIsGod
07-02-2005, 06:41 PM
This wasn't a competition with Live Aid #1 to see which was better, this was an event put on for a purpose. I'm sorry I realize that and you don't.

pooh
07-02-2005, 06:45 PM
I know it wasn't a competition, but it was below what the original was. You didn't have the "Queen" to come out and steal the show. The only thing that was close was Pink Floyd and even then MTV and VH1 cut away from it. They did it again with McCarntney's performance as well. I know what the meaning of the day was....they practically were ramming it down everyones' throat every two minutes. The hosts looked like they didn't have a clue.

MannyIsGod
07-02-2005, 07:01 PM
So, you had a problem with the MTV coverage and not the actual event then. Like I said, every location was webcast live.

scott
07-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Anyone have a Pink Floyd setlist?

pooh
07-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Not a complete one Scott. But I know they played Money, Wish you were here, Comfortably Numb and Home again (or if that was the name of the song)

AlamoSpursFan
07-02-2005, 07:29 PM
They're showing a repeat on ABC right now, they said PF was coming up.

Shelly
07-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Fuck lost my post

I'm gonna have to agree with Pooh on this one. Live Aid was way better. I don't think they should have cut to commercial (especially during a big act) and I could have done without the VJs commentary during a song. To me, watching it on a webcast isn't the same.

However, my husband just rented the DVD of Live Aid and he said they left off Led Zeppelin (which I believe was the first time they played together after Bonham died) and Duran Duran (who was the biggest band around at that time).

pooh
07-02-2005, 07:40 PM
I have the Duran Duran set from Live Aid on VHS. They played in Rome this year. The Led Zeppelin performance should be on that DVD. You are right though Shelly that was the first time the three surviving members played together since drummer John Bonham died back in '80. Backing them up on drums was the late Tony Thompson (Chic and Powerstation) and Phil Collins, who was the only performer to play both the London and Philadelphia shows that day.

Pink Floyd sounded great in my opinion. It would've also been nice to have seen Sting reunite with the Police for this gig. The VJ's looked so clueless it wasn't funny. Half of them were probably just in grade school when the original took place.

MannyIsGod
07-02-2005, 07:41 PM
I've pretty expect MTV to fuck up anything they put their hands on, I liked the Webcast much better. The highest resolution actually was very smooth and I was impressed.

AlamoSpursFan
07-02-2005, 07:42 PM
They seem to be focusing more on the music on the replay. I had the MTV one on earlier and the vjs kept breaking in. ABC's playing pretty much the whole songs.

pooh
07-02-2005, 07:43 PM
I thought the Rolling Stones were going to play at Live8. Did they back out at the last minute or what?

scott
07-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Here's to hoping this spurs a PF reunion tour.

pooh
07-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Yeah it would be nice.

spurschick
07-02-2005, 09:18 PM
Here's to hoping this spurs a PF reunion tour.

Roger Waters wouldn't do it in a million years. I am so happy that I got to see PF at the Alamodome a few years ago. I wish they would tour again, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

pooh
07-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Here are some quotes about the reunion on Pink Floyd's website:

"Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if re-forming for this concert will help focus attention then it's got to be worthwhile" - David Gilmour.

"It's great to be asked to help Bob (Geldof) rais public awareness about third world debt and poverty. The cynics will scoff - screw 'em! Also, to be given the opportunity to put the band back together, even if it's only for a few numbers is a big bonus." - Roger Waters.

Judging by the crowds reaction and how well they sounded, don't be surprised if a reunion tour is planned by the end of the year.

Timoha
07-02-2005, 11:38 PM
That was a pretty kick ass show. Anything that has Pink Floyd reuniting is awsume. I liked Madonnas performance. And Paul McCartneys performance reminded me of the time I saw him live :spin.

Anyhow: great show, great cause

ididnotnothat
07-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Live Aid was the shit and the real deal.

Guru of Nothing
07-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Over-privileged rock stars shoving their guilt trip down my throat!

Cool.

Opinionater
07-03-2005, 12:00 AM
IMHO, nobody is shoving anything down your throat.
If you don't care than just tune it out. Many people do.

Guru of Nothing
07-03-2005, 12:06 AM
IMHO, nobody is shoving anything down your throat.
If you don't care than just tune it out. Many people do.

I did tune it out, but don't let that stop you from missing my point.

MannyIsGod
07-03-2005, 12:11 AM
I did tune it out, but don't let that stop you from missing my point.
Well, I missed it, too. Elaborate for us.

Guru of Nothing
07-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Well, I missed it, too. Elaborate for us.

Help me out here. Was this a benefit concert? If so, who benefited?

Duff McCartney
07-03-2005, 01:04 AM
Damn what a fucking cynic.

Guru of Nothing
07-03-2005, 01:15 AM

Nice observtion Seargent Obvious.

Ginofan
07-03-2005, 01:44 AM

Oh....so....ironic.

What the fuck?

~Manny

Gerryatrics
07-03-2005, 01:55 AM
So, while we're all patting ourselves on the back for our "awareness", what exactly was the point of this whole bloated event? What does raising "awareness" do? I think most people realize little kids are starving somewhere in Africa by now. Is World poverty suddenly going to end because Pink Floyd got back together? I mean, they didn't even try to guilt trip people into throwing money at the problem like the bleeding heart celebs who are going to fix all the World's problems usually do. They just want people to be "aware" of the problem, as they walk of the stage at the end of the night with their gift bags and residual checks. All the "awareness" in the World isn't going to fix all of Africa's problems, the only chance of ending the starvation, disease and poverty in Africa is Government reform. I don't think Bono and George Clooney are going to succesfully reform the various governments in Africa with their "awareness" raising. So again, what is the point?

The World is raising "awareness" for the starving children in Africa, so stick that in your pot and cook it... Hooray us.

Timoha
07-03-2005, 03:00 AM
I thought that all the profits from the concert went to help out the needy in Africa? So, it did do something.

Gerryatrics
07-03-2005, 03:13 AM
What profits? The tickets were free. Unless they're collecting the money raised by insanely over-priced concession stands, in which case they could send billions, Live 8 isn't sending anything to starving African kids but "awareness" and warm, fuzzy thoughts.

T Park
07-03-2005, 03:24 AM
rut roh.

Slomo
07-03-2005, 03:27 AM
What profits? The tickets were free. Unless they're collecting the money raised by insanely over-priced concession stands, in which case they could send billions, Live 8 isn't sending anything to starving African kids but "awareness" and warm, fuzzy thoughts.
If I remember correctly the concerts will generate 25 millions $ (not 100% sure on the figure) that will be sent to help fight famine in Africa (advertising money probly). And the leader of the world's richest 8 countries will be presented a petition (that you can sign on-line - if you're really interested that is) that demands help to the poorest countries in the world in the form of help with their debts and trade agreements that would enable them to start functioning on their own.

I'm not sure how much good it will do. But Trying to help is still way better than sitting on your couch and ridiculing those that are doing something.

Das Texan
07-03-2005, 03:40 AM
its the power of the people.

if you have ever belonged to an organization that preaches the power of the people to put pressure on world leaders for global justice then you know it can be very powerful. I'm reminded of the world Amnesty Inernational does.

Gerryatrics
07-03-2005, 05:06 AM
From what I've heard the only concert that raised any money was a British one that gave away tickets using a text message based lottery system. They're going to use the money they made from the messaging fees to pay off the charity event that usually takes place at the park the concert was at. They had to cancel the charity so Live 8 is using the money to give the charity about what they usually raise, the rest is going to help offset the price of the concerts.

And $25 million is a pathetic figure if accurate, if you add up all the celebs that were there mugging for the camera, they'll probably make up that money in about twenty seconds once they go back to their paying gigs. If all these celebs really care so much, let's see them put up 25% of their salaries to help end poverty.

And I don't think convincing the G8 to throw more money at the problem is a positive. It just allows them to write a check and wash their hands of the whole matter, instead of pressuring them to try and encourage real reforms in Africa. Nobody wants to deal with the growing pains of trying to pull Africa into the 21st Century. Just write a big check to whatever country gets the most hits on Google News and add "For starving Children" in the notes section. Doesn't matter if it really goes to buy food or medical supplies, as long as you keep sending them money and the celebs get their face time on the news and their humanitarian awards. If dumping money in Africa's general direction is all that's needed to put an end to world poverty and save the starving children, there wouldn't have been a need for Live 8, Live Aid would have done the job.

whottt
07-03-2005, 05:21 AM
I thought live aid sucked...but it was for a good cause...but all the acts sounded like crap live...

The "Led Zeppelin" performance at Live Aid was an abomination(due to not having any monitors), that left Page and Plant in a state of shame...

I think that was the first time Page had picked up a guitar in 4 or 5 years, neither Phil Collins nor Tony Thompson were fit to hold Bohnam's drumsticks...and Plant was so overmatched by his old vocalizations that he sounded like he was trying to take a crap and dying.

I actually went into a state of depression for like a year over how badly that Led Zeppelin imposter sucked at that show.

When Led Zep reformed for the Atlantic 40th birthday party it was a much better job.

I didn't realize Floyd was reforming with Waters for this...I am going to have to check this out...I know their set didn't suck because Waters is a freak about that kind of stuff and the Gilmour Floyd was one of the best produced live shows I have ever seen.

My guess is that the Who probably kicked the shit out of every one else at that show...like they always do at live shows.

Any time you go to a mutiple act concert with Ted Nugent or the Who playing...you might as well leave after they finish their set...because everyone else is going to sound like shit(and you'll most likely be half deaf after they get done playing).

Horry For 3!
07-03-2005, 05:24 AM
I've listened to Live 8 before. It is alright.

Slomo
07-03-2005, 05:40 AM
From what I've heard the only concert that raised any money was a British one that gave away tickets using a text message based lottery system. They're going to use the money they made from the messaging fees to pay off the charity event that usually takes place at the park the concert was at. They had to cancel the charity so Live 8 is using the money to give the charity about what they usually raise, the rest is going to help offset the price of the concerts.

And $25 million is a pathetic figure if accurate, if you add up all the celebs that were there mugging for the camera, they'll probably make up that money in about twenty seconds once they go back to their paying gigs. If all these celebs really care so much, let's see them put up 25% of their salaries to help end poverty.

And I don't think convincing the G8 to throw more money at the problem is a positive. It just allows them to write a check and wash their hands of the whole matter, instead of pressuring them to try and encourage real reforms in Africa. Nobody wants to deal with the growing pains of trying to pull Africa into the 21st Century. Just write a big check to whatever country gets the most hits on Google News and add "For starving Children" in the notes section. Doesn't matter if it really goes to buy food or medical supplies, as long as you keep sending them money and the celebs get their face time on the news and their humanitarian awards. If dumping money in Africa's general direction is all that's needed to put an end to world poverty and save the starving children, there wouldn't have been a need for Live 8, Live Aid would have done the job.
If I understand the petition correctly that's exactly what they are trying to do.
I thought the concert was not very good, but I'll support the effort and the idea any day.

alamo50
07-03-2005, 05:44 AM
While Live8 was going on I saw performances of Steve Lukather, Rodger Hodson, Marillion and Joe Cocker right here in my hometown of Weert, The Netherlands.

http://www.bospop.nl/media/zaterdag4//joe_4589.JPG

Joe Cocker performed U2's "One Love" song in honor of Live8.
It was awesome..............

http://www.bospop.nl/media/zaterdag4//joe_4622.JPG

Duff McCartney
07-03-2005, 10:17 AM
"This is not Live Aid 2.

These concerts are the start point for The Long Walk To Justice, the one way we can all make our voices heard in unison.

This is without doubt a moment in history where ordinary people can grasp the chance to achieve something truly monumental and demand from the 8 world leaders at G8 an end to poverty.

The G8 leaders have it within their power to alter history. They will only have the will to do so if tens of thousands of people show them that enough is enough.

By doubling aid, fully cancelling debt, and delivering trade justice for Africa, the G8 could change the future for millions of men, women and children."

http://www.live8live.com/

smeagol
07-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Live 8's cause is much better than Live Aid's cause, IMO.

But Live Aid rocked way more than Live 8.

N.Y. Johnny
07-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Stevie Wonder singlehandedly ruined Live 8 :lmao

Shelly
07-08-2005, 06:21 PM
MTV & VH1's Redemption Song
by Sarah Hall
Jul 8, 2005, 12:00 PM PT
back to story

After striking a sour note with viewers over their shoddy coverage of the Live 8 concerts last weekend, MTV and VH1 are making an effort to get back on key.

The networks will each rebroadcast five hours of commercial-free Live 8 concerts Saturday, a week after their initial attempts at covering the event were lambasted by viewers and reviewers alike.

The nets were faulted for featuring the exact same feed, rather than focusing on different sets from the 10 concerts à la coverage of the Olympics. Critics and Netizens also lashed out at the MTV and VH1 for cutting away from key performances to go to commercial breaks and overdosing on offstage banter, with little focus on the music.

"If you weren't there, how did you take in Saturday's mega-concert for African relief, Live 8?" Philadelphia Daily News critic Jonathan Takiff asked Thursday in his column.

"If it was on MTV, you were doubtless disappointed, even angry, as the formerly music-centric but now 'lifestyle'-oriented channel repeatedly demeaned the art and the purpose of the day, clogging the presentation with commercials and idle chatter."

Viewers flooded message boards with similar complaints.

"I was pretty appalled at the MTV/VH1 coverage," one frustrated music group user posted. "They cut away from songs before they were finished! Couldn't they at least let the artists complete one song? I tuned in to see the music, not watch commercials and listen to endless blathering by the VJs."

Some memorable moments that were missed by viewers included the final moments of the reunited Pink Floyd's finale number, "Comfortably Numb," as well as the bulk of Coldplay and former Verve singer Richard Ashcroft's acclaimed pairing on "Bittersweet Symphony." The coverage also focused heavily on the concerts in London and Philadelphia, with little attention paid to the performances unfolding in other countries around the world.

The ratings for the Live 8 telecast reflected viewers' lack of enthusiasm for the broadcast. Though 18 million viewers tuned in for some portion of the broadcast, MTV and VH1's combined audience average was a scant 2.2 million viewers from noon to 8 p.m., according to Nielsen Media Research.

Network executives were semi-willing to concede that mistakes had been made with regards to the coverage.

"At MTV and VH1, we're in a constant and candid dialogue with our audience," MTVN Music Group President Van Toffler said in a statement. "In the wake of our coverage last Saturday, our viewers have resoundingly told us online they want to see full performances from their favorite artists. As a result of viewer demand and thanks to the Live 8 organizers and performers, MTV and VH1 will air 10 consecutive hours from one of the most important musical events of our time."

VH1 will kick off Saturday's rebroadcast, airing the concerts from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., at which point MTV will pick up the coverage, airing the concerts through 8 p.m.

The performances each network airs will vary according to their audience. While both nets will rebroadcast performances by U2, Pink Floyd, Orchestra Baobab, Coldplay and Paul McCartney, VH1 will air Rob Thomas, Sting, Dave Matthews Band and Maroon 5 exclusively, and MTV will air Linkin Park and Jay-Z, the Killers, Kanye West and Green Day exclusively.

Unfortunately for the music nets, viewers may not be willing to give them a second chance, particularly since AOLmusic.com's coverage of the event was praised across the board.

The site set a new Internet record last weekend after it clocked 175,000 simultaneous video streams during its globe-spanning coverage of Live 8. In all, 5 million viewers logged on to check out the performances between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m.

AOLmusic.com will continue to make the performances available for download for the next five weeks.

CalsonicKansei
07-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Live 8 does not raise any money but raises awarness? While children are starving, they are raising awarness, and not money? Dumb.