PDA

View Full Version : Next Playstation and XBox thread

NASpurs
01-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Apparently both are going to be out this holiday season and Sony is announcing theirs on February 20th (if reports are (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d-3GMHIgR-U) to be believed). Code names are Orbis for the PS4 and Durango for the next Xbox.

Are you guys excited, worn out, skipping this generation, moving on to PCs?

Trailer for event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d-3GMHIgR-U

Reck
01-31-2013, 10:16 PM
The PS3 is just fine for me, thanks.

Maybe in 5 more years from now.

NASpurs
01-31-2013, 10:31 PM

Interesting. Were you a late adopter?

I was an early adopter for the PS3 and 360 and to tell you the truth, I want something new and shiny next to my TV. The 360 is already eight years old and it's seriously showing its age to me (as well as the PS3). I don't know, I guess I'm a sucker for new tech and stuff like this excites the technophile in me.

lefty
01-31-2013, 10:43 PM

Same here

Reck
01-31-2013, 11:11 PM
Interesting. Were you a late adopter?

I was an early adopter for the PS3 and 360 and to tell you the truth, I want something new and shiny next to my TV. The 360 is already eight years old and it's seriously showing its age to me (as well as the PS3). I don't know, I guess I'm a sucker for new tech and stuff like this excites the technophile in me.

Nah I bought a PS3 on release date (The 20GB one) and when that one died I bought the 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundled.

I still have that one going strong.

My gaming desires has really waned over the years. I hardly play games. I mainly Netflix with it now and I'm only buying like 3 games per year tbh.

Next game I'm looking to buy is that Metal Gear Rising one coming this february.

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2013, 11:28 PM
have a ps3 brick...only a couple of games...but it aint hooked up to anything cause cbf with it...same with the 360 and wii.....

gave up on console gaming....

Brunodf
02-01-2013, 02:07 AM
PC/ Galaxy Note 2

symple19
02-01-2013, 04:17 AM
:lmao consoles

Wild Cobra
02-01-2013, 04:36 AM
Are you guys excited, worn out, skipping this generation, moving on to PCs?

I will buy the PS4 when Gran Turismo 6 is released. Until then, I have no use for it.

Reck
02-01-2013, 05:38 AM
I will buy the PS4 when Gran Turismo 6 is released. Until then, I have no use for it.

LOL which means like 10 years from now.

Wild Cobra
02-01-2013, 07:07 AM
LOL which means like 10 years from now.
Then so be it.

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2013, 02:00 PM

the steering wheel from logitech g27+ whatever....is worth buying for racing games, besides that theres not many good car racing games besides f1 + gt series....

Wild Cobra
02-01-2013, 08:11 PM
the steering wheel from logitech g27+ whatever....is worth buying for racing games, besides that theres not many good car racing games besides f1 + gt series....
I still have two of the original steering wheel from when GT3 came out. At the time, it was the only USB steering wheel made for any game.

http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/gt3/gt3steer.jpg

MannyIsGod
02-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Depends on the price. Anymore than 400 and fuck that. Both systems have things I will want but PS has way more quality exclusives so I will likely stay with them. I'm not going to switch right now though. The PS3 is still a great piece of equipment and I don't feel a need to upgrade.

Bynumite
02-02-2013, 02:15 AM
Bought my Xbox in 07 but i'm still not planning to buy a new console any time soon tbh.

Trainwreck2100
02-02-2013, 02:33 AM
what more could they do?

NASpurs
02-02-2013, 04:23 AM
Nah I bought a PS3 on release date (The 20GB one) and when that one died I bought the 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundled.

I still have that one going strong.

My gaming desires has really waned over the years. I hardly play games. I mainly Netflix with it now and I'm only buying like 3 games per year tbh.

Next game I'm looking to buy is that Metal Gear Rising one coming this february.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I don't game as much as I used to except the occasional FIFA or AAA game that everyone gushes over about. Long are the days when I could play a game for half a day. My systems collect dust but I still like buying them for some reason. :lol

NASpurs
02-02-2013, 04:28 AM
http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-4-spec-rumors-and-launch-details-are-here-243768.phtml (http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-4-spec-rumors-and-launch-details-are-here-243768.phtml)

Latest reports from around the web all in one place

Back in 2008, Destructoid created a tag for 'PS4'. It's about time we put it to good use.

With Sony ostensibly planning to show off its new console by the end of the month and the rest of us salivating in anticipation, now is the time to gather all the info we currently have on the PlayStation 4 (codename: Orbis).

Personally, I'm excited for the bizarre ad campaign to come.

[Psst ... that image above is a fan mock-up.]

The controller

Sony's new console will introduce a new take on the traditional PS controller, according to Edge, keeping the same size while adding a small touchpad in place of the Select, Start, and PS buttons. The touchpad is based on the Vita handheld's rear touch tech.

Along with the touchpad, a new "Share" button will give players the ability to immediately capture and distribute screenshots and video online (similar to OnLive's Brag clips); the console will continuously record the last 15 minutes of gameplay, so video is always ready to go (or maybe military are using it to find the next star fighter?), according to Edge. CVG's source echoed this info, which increases its likelihood to be true. It is unclear if this Share button is a physical button or the touch pad itself, accessed by clicking down on it, according to Kotaku.

PS4 will continue to support Sixaxis (improved with tilt correction) and the Move motion controller, according to documents reported by Kotaku. The system launch will also bring about an improved version of the PlayStation Eye peripheral, according to Edge.

Why is this exciting? Sony's new controller will be a natural evolution, as it continues to occupy a place between current trends (touch, motion controls) without fully committing in the way Nintendo has with the Wii and Wii U or dividing the userbase like Microsoft did with Kinect. It's hard to imagine what can be done with such a tiny touch pad, and it's frighteningly easy to imagine what terrible touch gimmicks can be shoved into games after the Vita. The share feature makes me more hopeful, as it sends an early message that Sony is investing in online infrastructure in a big way.

The hardware

As of January 2013, according to Kotaku, the current development kit consists of:

System Memory: 8GB
Video Memory: 2.2 GB
CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer", 1.6GHz
GPU: AMD R10xx (w/ Liverpool)
Ports: 4x USB 3.0, 2x Ethernet [extra for local sharing, dev. use]
Drive: Blu-Ray
HDD: 160GB [Retail may be larger]
Audio Output: HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 channels, headphone jack

Sony's console may have an advantage over Microsoft's codenamed Durango due to the high performance GDDR5 memroy in the system that can move data at 176 gigabyters per second, according to Edge. A source told the magazine that the PS4 is “slightly more powerful [than Durango]” and “very simple to work with.”

Why is this exciting? The framework of the PS4 will closely resemble a PC, making it easier to develop for and fix (when the inevitable launch batch problems occur). Eurogamer compare the PS4's GPU to the Radeon 7970M laptop GPU (used to run Crysis 2 in the video above). Unless the reports are wrong, PS4 should out do the Durango in terms of sheer power. Can you imagine the next Killzone or Uncharted on this thing?

Rewriting the rulebook on console networks, PS4 will allow more than one user to be logged into a single console at the same time via controllers. Accounts won't be locked to a controller, but each connected controller will require an account to associate it with.

Kotaku reports that this will allow even distribution of trophies in games, such as all four logged players gaining the same achievements from defeating a difficult boss.

There are also premature reports of the console putting a greater emphasis on media, which is kind of stating the obvious at this point. What's more interesting is Sony's plans for the Gaikai tech.

Why is this exciting? Though Xbox Live and PlayStation Network function well enough, it's always a hassle to log in with other players. Starting an offline co-op session can often feel like puzzle to be solved, in certain games. This new system will make the process easier and faster, while putting a greater emphasis on offline couch play -- something hardware manufacturers and game publishers thought would go away, but instead the Wii only increased its value and presence.

Launch

Sony's next console will make its debut at a New York event ("See the future.") on Feb. 20, with a holiday launch in US and Japan to come (Europe in 2014), according to The Wall Street Journal, Polygon, and Edge. The predicted price point is somewhere around $350 - 400.

Possible launch titles:

Whore of the Orient
New EA franchise(s)
New Quantic Dream game
New United Front title
New SquareEnix title
The usual suspects (Uncharted, inFAMOUS, Killzone, etc.)
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
Watch Dogs
Star Wars 1313

Keep an eye on our #PS4 for upcoming news on possible titles.

Why is this exciting? It's a new Sony console! Do I really need to give you a reason?

scott
02-02-2013, 09:30 AM
But will Durango play HD-DVDs?

Possible launch titles:

Whore of the Orient

lol, certainly that can't be serious

scott
02-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Just googled "Whore of the Orient".

Guess that's actually a thing, huh?

Trainwreck2100
02-02-2013, 09:53 AM
most likely the tentative title

NASpurs
02-06-2013, 11:39 AM
http://kotaku.com/5982097/report-the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-block-used-games

A new Edge report (http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/) suggests that Microsoft's next Xbox gaming console, code-named Durango, will require an Internet connection to use. It also won't be able to play used games, Edge says.

Clipper Nation
02-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Man, I remember when new consoles dropping was a big event and there would be a million bullshit rumors flying around about each one.... nobody even cares anymore now :lol

IronMaxipad
02-06-2013, 03:43 PM
http://kotaku.com/5982097/report-the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-block-used-games

A new Edge report (http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/) suggests that Microsoft's next Xbox gaming console, code-named Durango, will require an Internet connection to use. It also won't be able to play used games, Edge says.
DAFUQ?!

Well that makes my decision much easier.

PC master race

Reck
02-06-2013, 04:43 PM

Microsoft still behind the 8-ball. :lmao

Even for the die hard Xbox fans this wont go down well I would presume.

NASpurs
02-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Guess that's the end of Gamestop tbh.

ElNono
02-07-2013, 12:28 AM

If true, my money is going somewhere else...

MannyIsGod
02-07-2013, 12:56 AM
bet you its not true.

symple19
02-07-2013, 06:33 AM
:lmao

NASpurs
02-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Microsoft still behind the 8-ball. :lmao

Even for the die hard Xbox fans this wont go down well I would presume.

These are all rumors but we'll see what is factual or not as the launch approaches. But apparently Sony has a patent that will cut off second hand games in their console as well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-03-sony-patents-tech-to-block-use-of-second-hand-games

Sony's PlayStation division has patented technology that can block the use of second hand games on a console.
The idea sees individual game discs matched to user accounts. Games which have been associated with another user's account will be rejected.
Discs would come branded with a contactless tag which would be recognised and read by your console, using the same sort of NFC technology present in modern bank cards.

Anyway, just posting rumors here. :lol

Speaking of the Xbox:

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/

Wild Cobra
02-08-2013, 03:20 AM
These are all rumors but we'll see what is factual or not as the launch approaches. But apparently Sony has a patent that will cut off second hand games in their console as well.[/URL]
That was a European article. I don't think US laws allow then to do that here.

Wild Cobra
02-08-2013, 03:22 AM
LOL...

The Sony Gods are watching.

A connection to the server could not be established. (ID = 2:6399)

Just happened as I switched users on my PS3, right after posting the last message...

Reck
02-08-2013, 03:36 AM
These are all rumors but we'll see what is factual or not as the launch approaches. But apparently Sony has a patent that will cut off second hand games in their console as well.

That would be a crushing blow to quite a few establishments.

I dont mind buying the games brand new, in fact I prefer it but I also like trading/selling them when I become bored with them.

They want you to buy a game and be stuck with it forever? No, fuck that.

Also this move would put a sudden end to gamefly.

Seems to me this would hurt the gaming industry rather than help it.

Reck
02-08-2013, 10:42 PM
LOL...

The Sony Gods are watching.

Just happened as I switched users on my PS3, right after posting the last message...

Its this site tbh.

Its been stalling /crashing/slow for me the last couple of days.

Wild Cobra
02-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Its this site tbh.

Its been stalling /crashing/slow for me the last couple of days.
This "new and improved" forum program really sucks.

NASpurs
02-09-2013, 09:54 AM
That would be a crushing blow to quite a few establishments.

I dont mind buying the games brand new, in fact I prefer it but I also like trading/selling them when I become bored with them.

They want you to buy a game and be stuck with it forever? No, fuck that.

Also this move would put a sudden end to gamefly.

Seems to me this would hurt the gaming industry rather than help it.

I heard it's the developers that have been pushing for something like this for a while. When people resell their games, the developers don't see a penny from it. It all goes to the Gamestops of the world. Not sure how it works for game rentals though.

Trainwreck2100
02-09-2013, 11:52 AM
what they should do is sell a key to unlock the used game on a different console, something like $5 that would cut into GS profits and give money back to developers.

baseline bum
02-09-2013, 10:36 PM
I heard it's the developers that have been pushing for something like this for a while. When people resell their games, the developers don't see a penny from it. It all goes to the Gamestops of the world. Not sure how it works for game rentals though.

:cry When I sell my car Toyota doesn't see a penny either :cry

ElNono
02-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Farewell first sale doctrine... we hardly knew you...

ElNono
02-09-2013, 11:15 PM
More money to who? Electronics Arts so they can keep eating up good companies and turning them into turd machines?

Book writers didn't have such protections either and they still write today. The copyright cartel greed has no end. I'll do my part in not buying their shit.

ElNono
02-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Redbox-type systems is also fucking them over. Now they make games that only last 10-12 hours. A rental is normally enough to finish the damn thing.

So they try to screw you by only shipping half a game and trying to sell you the other half through DLCs.

Fuck em.

Wild Cobra
02-10-2013, 01:28 AM
Redbox-type systems is also fucking them over. Now they make games that only last 10-12 hours. A rental is normally enough to finish the damn thing.

So they try to screw you by only shipping half a game and trying to sell you the other half through DLCs.

Fuck em.
The problem with the internet download aspect of a game, is the can change the game on you. In GT5 for example, they recently reduced the PP (performance points) of the FR (front engine rear drive) cars. Now the way the car drives and responds is the same, but it changes the classes of races you can use them in.

ElNono
02-10-2013, 01:42 AM
Game updates are fine... heck, if the sold you a broken product, the least they could do is fix it. After all, you paid good money for it.

The nickel and diming is the BS part. The sell you a game full-price (and some are fucking overpriced at that, I could probably count with one hand games worth that much the past year alone) that has half of the game content stripped out for the privilege to pay extra to get that other half. It's their way to stick it to the used games market.

Xevious
02-10-2013, 02:00 AM
Man, I remember when new consoles dropping was a big event and there would be a million bullshit rumors flying around about each one.... nobody even cares anymore now :lol
They used to come out a lot more often with bigger advancements (for the time) than anything they can put out today. Technology has shifted towards portable devices. There's only so many more pixels and frames per second that you can squeeze out of tvs that the human eye will be able to see. Really... what more can consoles do? 3d and motion controlled games seemed like the next logical step. But how many Kinect exclusive games were even worth a shit?

Anyway, I'll wait until both consoles are released and see what games come out before making a decision. Or maybe I'll just wait for somebody to build a holodeck.

MannyIsGod
02-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Yeah game stories that last 6-10 hours is just ridiculous, IMO. I will redbox the hell out of those games and just beat it and return it.

z0sa
02-12-2013, 03:29 PM
I'll grab one when my PS3 dies. Which is hopefully several years away still.

Reck
02-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Game updates are fine... heck, if the sold you a broken product, the least they could do is fix it. After all, you paid good money for it.

The nickel and diming is the BS part. The sell you a game full-price (and some are fucking overpriced at that, I could probably count with one hand games worth that much the past year alone) that has half of the game content stripped out for the privilege to pay extra to get that other half. It's their way to stick it to the used games market.

The ones that do that most them others are Activision. I mainly stay away from them...and EA.

Two of the shittiest, most greedy publishers in gaming.

z0sa
02-12-2013, 05:33 PM
EA is the worst. They annihilated Command and Conquer, my favorite game series (at the time), from the very first one they did, Tiberian Sun.

ElNono
02-13-2013, 03:10 AM
EA obliterated quite a few studios/franchises after buying them out... Bioware comes to mind.

z0sa
02-13-2013, 03:23 AM
Please don't ever remind me of ME again. :lol

ElNono
02-13-2013, 03:40 AM
Single handedly destroyed the Dragon Age potential franchise

Trainwreck2100
02-13-2013, 02:34 PM
2k shit on Madden every year so they signed an exclusivity agreement so they could keep releasing shitty football games

resistanze
02-13-2013, 02:39 PM

0-day DLC :lol

Anyways, I won't buy any console that blocks me from playing used games. I have my standards.

z0sa
02-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Single handedly destroyed the Dragon Age potential franchise

DA:O is badass. Never played DA2.

NASpurs
02-14-2013, 08:14 PM
lol no comment

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/14/playstation-4-prototype-controller/

What you see above is the next PlayStation's controller, at least in some version of prototype, seemingly connected to a development unit for the next PlayStation (codenamed "Orbis"). The image popped up on Destructoid a few hours ago -- we've spoken with development sources who confirmed it to be a recent version of the next PlayStation's controller and a beta unit of the dev kit, though it's not clear how much the pictured controller will match up with the final product (and the console will assuredly look quite different from the dev unit). Sony's expected to show the PlayStation 3's successor at a New York City event next Wednesday, February 20th, wherein a new version of the company's classic DualShock controller is expected to be unveiled.

Corroborating reports, the pictured controller features a rectangular touchpad in between the standard d-pad and four-button setup, though it's missing the rumored Share button. It's also unclear if the blue light seen atop the controller serves a function -- a stand-in for Move support, perhaps? -- and our sources were unable to clarify. What looks like a speaker grill can be spotted just above a newly lowered PlayStation button, which seems to indicate some form of Wiimote-esque sound functionality built into the controller.

Update: A Sony rep tells us, "We can't comment on rumors or speculation."

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/02/ps4controller620x340dtoid.jpg

NASpurs
02-14-2013, 08:16 PM
:lmao

http://www.destructoid.com//ul/245018-9t7BIBi.gif

Brunodf
02-15-2013, 12:37 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/02/ps4controller620x340dtoid.jpg
Ugly

NASpurs
02-20-2013, 02:19 PM
The live press conference starts today at 5 PM CST. Seems like joystiq is going to carry it as well as some other so here it is, if you're interested:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/20/watch-sonys-playstation-event-right-here/

apalisoc_9
02-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Sony would probably dominate the next "console war"

http://i.minus.com/iIxzk8NrwpWc5.gif

IronMaxipad
02-20-2013, 06:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/KvbocTm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ES2WoGa.png

http://i.imgur.com/2Sri1fO.png

IronMaxipad
02-20-2013, 06:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/txyEltk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xYYx6y4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/O4DMGU8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lJhtBFp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4rq143x.png

CuckingFunt
02-20-2013, 06:48 PM
http://www.spike.com/articles/b5tglh/all-access-weekly-watch-sony-s-big-playstation-announcement-live-with-geoff-keighley

If anyone's interested, this stream is working better than the Joystiq stream posted earlier.

CuckingFunt
02-20-2013, 06:54 PM
The graphical beauty of this Killzone demo would be a lot more impressive if it weren't showcasing a franchise and genre of which I'm already bored to death.

NASpurs
02-20-2013, 06:58 PM
The Last Guardian, do it Sony. Show it to me.

NASpurs
02-20-2013, 07:03 PM
The graphical beauty of this Killzone demo would be a lot more impressive if it weren't showcasing a franchise and genre of which I'm already bored to death.

Ditto, I seriously can't remember the last FPS game I played. It was probably Portal if I remember correctly but even that was more of a FPS puzzle game.

MannyIsGod
02-20-2013, 07:26 PM
The Last Guardian, do it Sony. Show it to me.

They can't show you a game that is obviously dead.

MannyIsGod
02-20-2013, 07:26 PM
FPS games sell more than any other type of game out there. Thats why they're showing it. I never bothered with Killzone 3. I'm excited for some more infamous though.

CuckingFunt
02-20-2013, 07:36 PM
They can't show you a game that is obviously dead.

You hush your liar mouth.

apalisoc_9
02-20-2013, 08:17 PM
This is how old games are going to die out. Majority of the games now are FPS with beat down formulas..I can't even tell the difference between Killzone, Halo, COD, Insert another FPS game.

Death In June
02-20-2013, 08:34 PM
I feel pretty 'meh' about the upcoming generation of consoles based on that press conference. The jump from PS3 to PS4 looks incredibly incremental. I was hoping for something to genuinely impress me. Watch Dogs looks cool. A number of those games and tech demos looked fine and well, but nothing felt future proofed for another five to eight year cycle.

apalisoc_9
02-20-2013, 08:56 PM
I feel pretty 'meh' about the upcoming generation of consoles based on that press conference. The jump from PS3 to PS4 looks incredibly incremental. I was hoping for something to genuinely impress me. Watch Dogs looks cool. A number of those games and tech demos looked fine and well, but nothing felt future proofed for another five to eight year cycle.

Agree.

A couple of those games announced are planning on releasing games cross-generation. If the big games are avaialabe on the PS3 i really dont see any reason why i should be purchasing a ps4.

Plus the difference graphics was hardly noticeable IMO.

Reck
02-20-2013, 09:34 PM
The controller looks lame as fuck.

Where they aiming at something like they dreamcast controller with the visual memory card thing? If so they massively fail.

I'm sticking with the PS3 until they cease production.

CuckingFunt
02-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Until there is an exclusive game that I absolutely can't live without, I won't even consider upgrading.

IronMaxipad
02-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Full specs:

http://s16.postimage.org/jxujvct9x/console.png

http://s12.postimage.org/kr1exub9p/controller.png

baseline bum
02-20-2013, 10:02 PM
:cry No more Moore's Law :cry

Trainwreck2100
02-20-2013, 11:21 PM
so did they confirm used games being locked out?

MannyIsGod
02-21-2013, 12:51 AM
The opposite - confirmed they aren't locked out

NASpurs
02-21-2013, 01:55 AM
I'm sure Sony is being tight-lipped about games and features that they're going to unveil the closer we get to the launch and E3 for that matter but nothing that was mentioned be it games or system features made me excited for the PS4. In a pure hardware standpoint, it's cool to see that they're using a X86 CPU instead of shoving that CELL processor down everyone's throats. The 8 GB of system ram is pretty damn good for a console that is expected to multitask with that UStream video recording feature and whatever else Sony has in mind. I think I read that the PS3 has 512 MB which is insane if you think about it but it's also why the PS3 could never fully grow in the XMB because of this limitation.

Cry Havoc
02-21-2013, 02:26 AM
Just FYI, the Playstation 4 has about equivalent graphical processing power as the $600 computer I just built with a mid-high end current gen video card in it (1.80 TFLOPS). The PS4 will be more dated than PCs the day it launches. Same with Xbox too, I'm sure.

lefty
02-21-2013, 04:22 AM
meh

Im not getting the PS4

mingus
02-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Just FYI, the Playstation 4 has about equivalent graphical processing power as the $600 computer I just built with a mid-high end current gen video card in it (1.80 TFLOPS). The PS4 will be more dated than PCs the day it launches. Same with Xbox too, I'm sure.

Graphics never have and never will make or break a game or system for me unless maybe they are complete and utter shit. Probably a extreme minority of gamers actually gives a flying fuck about a 1.80 TFLOPS or any of that shit.

Wild Cobra
02-21-2013, 07:12 AM

Graphics never have and never will make or break a game or system for me unless maybe they are complete and utter shit. Probably a extreme minority of gamers actually gives a flying fuck about a 1.80 TFLOPS or any of that shit.
A PC, even more powerful than a new game console is still just a general purpose computer. Consoles like the PlayStation series and X-Box series are special purpose computers with circuity tailored for one purpose.

symple19
02-21-2013, 11:35 AM

Exactly... And people will be paying the silly price tag when these shitty console come out....by then, that 600 rig you built will be 400.

??LOL CONSOLES

NASpurs
02-21-2013, 11:51 AM

Yeah no shit bro. It's not like Sony is going to put $1500 worth of comparable PC parts and try to sell it in the console sweet spot of $400-$500. Wouldn't make financial sense. They'll probably take a loss when the console hits and as the parts lower in price and production costs lower as well, they'll make a profit on every console gain in a year or two.

NASpurs
02-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Exactly... And people will be paying the silly price tag when these shitty console come out....by then, that 600 rig you built will be 400.

??LOL CONSOLES

There's this thing called options bro. You don't have to choose one or the other, you can choose both. Play the PC version of the game (if it's multiplatform) on the PC and play the console exclusive on the respective console. We're not paying for consoles because the horsepower underneath, the normal person who isn't into PCs is paying for consoles because of the simplicity (not having to tweak games or systems), the multipurpose of system as well as the exclusive games for them. As long as Sony and Nintendo continue to make games, people will continue to buy their consoles.

:lol your console vs PC mentality is hilarious. No one is forcing you to buy one or the other.

Reck
02-21-2013, 12:08 PM
There's this thing called options bro. You don't have to choose one or the other, you can choose both. Play the PC version of the game (if it's multiplatform) on the PC and play the console exclusive on the respective console. We're not paying for consoles because the horsepower underneath, the normal person who isn't into PCs is paying for consoles because of the simplicity (not having to tweak games or systems), the multipurpose of system as well as the exclusive games for them. As long as Sony and Nintendo continue to make games, people will continue to buy their consoles.

:lol your console vs PC mentality is hilarious. No one is forcing you to buy one or the other.

Love this post.

Some people, specially the PC gamers (and probably the only ones) get hung up on this fact that consoles aren't meant for much other than entertainment purposes. Its not supposed to be the latest and greatest super console/computer that does all this extra things besides gaming.

PC gamers seem to be insecure about this. You mention console and they go on a defense tirade for some reason.

Cry Havoc
02-21-2013, 12:45 PM

That's really not the issue here. And if it is, why even bother buying a Ps4? Why bother even looking at the new systems? The PS3 has capable graphics from a generation or two ago, and unless you've played every game, there are "new" titles out there to enjoy. You're telling me, "graphics don't matter" yet you're willing to drop $500+ on a system to meet that end. It doesn't add up.

Yeah no shit bro. It's not like Sony is going to put $1500 worth of comparable PC parts and try to sell it in the console sweet spot of $400-$500. Wouldn't make financial sense. They'll probably take a loss when the console hits and as the parts lower in price and production costs lower as well, they'll make a profit on every console gain in a year or two.

That's actually exactly what they did with the Ps3. It was outrageously expensive at launch - $600. But it cost Sony something like $1300 to make each Ps3, if I remember correctly.

It's not, but we're quickly approaching a point of diminishing returns on consoles because PCs are so cheap these days. When the Ps3 and 360 came out, they were pretty far ahead of the PC architecture at the time. I think the year after, PC started to catch up with it's top end cards, but it still cost $1200+ to put together a system. Now, gaming rigs can be made for ~$500 or less with the new AMD APUs.

Choices are great, but at this point PCs are just a much better value overall, especially if you build it yourself. And honestly, the simplicity argument is almost a non-issue these days. It does take some skill to build a system, but gaming on a computer is incredibly easy with services like Steam and GOG that take care of everything for you, and are incredibly reliable.

Love this post.

Some people, specially the PC gamers (and probably the only ones) get hung up on this fact that consoles aren't meant for much other than entertainment purposes. Its not supposed to be the latest and greatest super console/computer that does all this extra things besides gaming.

But you're now paying $500+ for a gaming system. That is a huge chunk of money. I wouldn't call it insecurity, I would call it being flummoxed by the fact that people are still willing to pay premium dollar for consoles that are aging so quickly.

PC gamers seem to be insecure about this. You mention console and they go on a defense tirade for some reason.

It's not just gamers that are stating how limited consoles are.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/20/crytek-next-gen-consoles-pc/

Cry Havoc
02-21-2013, 12:51 PM
0rJDn0jRnUQ

:lmao Flipping hilarious.

symple19
02-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks for your paragraph long responses...

And I'm insecure? :lmao

symple19
02-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Cry Havoc with the goods and crushing the console kiddies per par

CuckingFunt
02-21-2013, 12:57 PM
0rJDn0jRnUQ

:lmao Flipping hilarious.

"BOOM! Blue and orange!!"

"Cell phones aren't just for taking pictures of kids. You can use them to hack into cash machines and saxophones."

Reck
02-21-2013, 01:16 PM
But you're now paying $500+ for a gaming system. That is a huge chunk of money. I wouldn't call it insecurity, I would call it being flummoxed by the fact that people are still willing to pay premium dollar for consoles that are aging so quickly.

It is a good chunk of money but same can be say for just about anything.

Not everyone likes to be tied up or limited to just one thing.

Sure you can can build your own computer for cheap but not everyone has the time or the knowledge. Some people like certain products and so they buy it.

Take this for example, just because you can make free calls with skype doesn't mean you should go with that because its cheap. You're only limiting yourself that way.

NASpurs
02-21-2013, 01:18 PM
:lmao I'm not going to get into a fucking debate on which is better because it's idiotic and left to teenagers on the freaking Gamefaqs board or wherever they conjugate nowadays. It's fucking simple, you chose PC and don't like consoles,so be it. Just respect that some people don't give a shit about gaming on PCs and don't particularly like the PC exclusives. Stop trying to make into some fucking lame ass console/PC war, no one gives a shit and everyone is too fucking old for that shit. Get this though, a lot of us who are into consoles can also afford PCs. We're not on Spurstalk typing on a freaking console.

:lmao 32 year old symple19 or however old you are taking this shit way too serious. Aren't you a vetern too? Jesus Christ bro.

Brunodf
02-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Overpriced, PC>>>>>>>>>>>>>Consoles

Reck
02-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Cry Havoc with the goods and crushing the console kiddies per par

You seen pretty insecure and acting like an emo little bitch.

Why are you getting all wet from the fact that a computer is superior to a gaming console. [insert no shit here]

LOL crushing and taking this all too seriously. Are you in your teens?

NASpurs
02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
You seen pretty insecure and acting like an emo little bitch.

Why are you getting all wet from the fact that a computer is superior to a gaming console. [insert no shit here]

LOL crushing and taking this all too seriously. Are you in your teens?

:lol yeah no shit man. Reminds me of back in the day when Nintendo vs Sega, Microsoft vs Sony or even Nvidia vs AMD people got into it. Just fucking lame. Jesus Christ, if you're a grown man, you can afford everything. You're not a teenager limited in choice because of your lack of job. That's why kids were always into those flame wars.

Reck
02-21-2013, 01:23 PM
:lmao I'm not going to get into a fucking debate on which is better because it's idiotic and left to teenagers on the freaking Gamefaqs board or wherever they conjugate nowadays. It's fucking simple, you chose PC and don't like consoles,so be it. Just respect that some people don't give a shit about gaming on PCs and don't particularly like the PC exclusives. Stop trying to make into some fucking lame ass console/PC war, no one gives a shit and everyone is too fucking old for that shit. Get this though, a lot of us who are into consoles can also afford PCs. We're not on Spurstalk typing on a freaking console.

:lmao 32 year old symple19 or however old you are taking this shit way too serious. Aren't you a vetern too? Jesus Christ bro.

Damn I should've read this post before quoting him.

Basically said the same thing. I'm just smh here.

CuckingFunt
02-21-2013, 01:35 PM

Congregate.

NASpurs
02-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Congregate.

Damnit, thanks :lol I have trouble with words that look very similar.

Cry Havoc
02-21-2013, 01:41 PM

So, just to be clear here:

You're posting in a sports forum meant almost entirely/exclusively for the purposes of discussion, while simultaneously turning your nose up at people who would debate the issue with you? Of course you have a choice. I even said that's a good thing. I'm just debating the alternatives and the relative advantages/disadvantages of consoles and PCs.

I fail to understand how debating soccer is so grown up and manly but debating video games is something for teenagers, especially since you're posting in a tech section.

And :lol symple, he's probably just still tired from the last round of discussions. :lol

baseline bum
02-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Is this fucking thing really going to be $400-$500? All it looks like is a PC except you can't do work on it. With Sony and MS both going x86 that means the PC ports should be trivial and thus of much higher quality, so it seems like buying a new console would be fucking retarded. When I bought my XBox360 for $450 it had way more than $450 worth of hardware, but paying that now for an obsolete system when PC ports are practically guaranteed to be high quality? :rollin

NASpurs
02-21-2013, 02:11 PM
So, just to be clear here:

You're posting in a sports forum meant almost entirely/exclusively for the purposes of discussion, while simultaneously turning your nose up at people who would debate the issue with you? Of course you have a choice. I even said that's a good thing. I'm just debating the alternatives and the relative advantages/disadvantages of consoles and PCs.

I fail to understand how debating soccer is so grown up and manly but debating video games is something for teenagers, especially since you're posting in a tech section.

And :lol symple, he's probably just still tired from the last round of discussions. :lol

No I have a problem getting into a long out discussion on which is better because it just comes down to choice and personal preference if you have to choose one or the other. I can buy BOTH so getting into a debate with me about personal choice is futile. It's true, consoles have reached a point of diminishing returns because seeing as the PS4 has become too PC centric when it comes to hardware, then yeah it's more or less a mid-tier PC system. It's true when you said that there was a time when new consoles were ahead of PCs and it took PCs a few years to catch up but now with the way the PS4 is put together, those days seem to be gone. But like I said, it comes down to the games and if you have both, games that are on both the PC and even in the newer consoles, will look better on the PC. But I don't give a shit about that because I was never into that, not even in the SNES/Genesis days when games were better on the SNES compared to the Genesis... minus a few. What I care about is the exclusive games that are only meant to be on consoles ( Sony as well as a lesser degree, Nintendo games). As long as those two exist, I will continue to buy consoles and as I said before, PC exclusives don't grab me. I used to be a big PC gamer so it's not like I don't know the appeal. I'm just not into that "scene" anymore. I just want to pop a game into my console, play and move on. I want to use my PC for internet browsing and the occasional Indie game. But long gone are the days when I used to sit down on my computer desk chair and play PC games until the morning. Just not me anymore,so yeah preferences.

There's nothing to debate. New consoles are weak compare to high powered PCs but that's not the point as to why some of us prefer to game on consoles.

Cry Havoc
02-21-2013, 02:16 PM
No I have a problem getting into a long out discussion on which is better because it just comes down to choice and personal preference if you have to choose one or the other. I can buy BOTH so getting into a debate with me about personal choice is futile. It's true, consoles have reached a point of diminishing returns because seeing as the PS4 has become too PC centric when it comes to hardware, then yeah it's more or less a mid-tier PC system. It's true when you said that there was a time when new consoles were ahead of PCs and it took PCs a few years to catch up but now with the way the PS4 is put together, those days seem to be gone. But like I said, it comes down to the games and if you have both, games that are on both the PC and even in the newer consoles, will look better on the PC. But I don't give a shit about that because I was never into that, not even in the SNES/Genesis days when games were better on the SNES compared to the Genesis... minus a few. What I care about is the exclusive games that are only meant to be on consoles ( Sony as well as a lesser degree, Nintendo games). As long as those two exist, I will continue to buy consoles and as I said before, PC exclusives don't grab me. I used to be a big PC gamer so it's not like I don't know the appeal. I'm just not into that "scene" anymore. I just want to pop a game into my console, play and move on. I want to use my PC for internet browsing and the occasional Indie game. But long gone are the days when I used to sit down on my computer desk chair and play PC games until the morning. Just not me anymore,so yeah preferences.

There's nothing to debate. New consoles are weak compare to high powered PCs but that's not the point as to why some of us prefer to game on consoles.

Reasonable post. As far as the exclusivity goes though, that's pretty much out the window now. The Ps4 is x86 based, meaning ports are going to be incredibly easy to make for PC and vice-versa.

I still think that arguing which is better between PC/Ps4/720 is roughly the equivalent of arguing about Man City vs. Chelsea. :lol

NASpurs
02-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Reasonable post. As far as the exclusivity goes though, that's pretty much out the window now. The Ps4 is x86 based, meaning ports are going to be incredibly easy to make for PC and vice-versa.

I still think that arguing which is better between PC/Ps4/720 is roughly the equivalent of arguing about Man City vs. Chelsea. :lol

:lol the difference is that Man City and Chelsea will play on the pitch and we can find out which is better while PC/consoles are inanimate objects sucking our wallets dry.

But yeah, console ports are going to be easy to port especially third party developers who want to release it to as many platforms as they can. But as far as first party developers are concern, that's where my money is going.

lefty
02-21-2013, 02:24 PM
That's really not the issue here. And if it is, why even bother buying a Ps4? Why bother even looking at the new systems? The PS3 has capable graphics from a generation or two ago, and unless you've played every game, there are "new" titles out there to enjoy. You're telling me, "graphics don't matter" yet you're willing to drop $500+ on a system to meet that end. It doesn't add up.

boom :lol

mingus
02-21-2013, 02:34 PM

That's actually exactly what they did with the Ps3. It was outrageously expensive at launch - $600. But it cost Sony something like $1300 to make each Ps3, if I remember correctly.

It's not, but we're quickly approaching a point of diminishing returns on consoles because PCs are so cheap these days. When the Ps3 and 360 came out, they were pretty far ahead of the PC architecture at the time. I think the year after, PC started to catch up with it's top end cards, but it still cost $1200+ to put together a system. Now, gaming rigs can be made for ~$500 or less with the new AMD APUs.

Choices are great, but at this point PCs are just a much better value overall, especially if you build it yourself. And honestly, the simplicity argument is almost a non-issue these days. It does take some skill to build a system, but gaming on a computer is incredibly easy with services like Steam and GOG that take care of everything for you, and are incredibly reliable.

Im not going to be buying next gen systems for graphics. I'll be buying them because they'll stop making games for older systems.

Cry Havoc
02-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Im not going to be buying next gen systems for graphics. I'll be buying them because they'll stop making games for older systems.

So you've played every Ps3 and every Xbox 360 game? Why would you pay $500 for a system and $60 for new games when you could own an older console for $200 and have a massive library of 500+ $20-40 titles?

Cry Havoc
02-21-2013, 02:40 PM
:lol the difference is that Man City and Chelsea will play on the pitch and we can find out which is better while PC/consoles are inanimate objects sucking our wallets dry.

Which kind of makes even LESS sense to debate it, doesn't it? Since there's an obvious conclusion. Whereas PCs and consoles are somewhat nebulous and have a lot of good points going for them either way, so the debate is pretty open.

But yeah, console ports are going to be easy to port especially third party developers who want to release it to as many platforms as they can. But as far as first party developers are concern, that's where my money is going.

And that's honestly the biggest reason why I'm a PC gamer these days. I had nearly as much fun from indie titles like FTL, Chivalry, Natural Selection 2, and League of Legends (hard to call that "indie" now but it was when I started playing) as I have playing everything else. And the total I paid for those 4 games was a grand total of maybe $40.

NASpurs
02-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Which kind of makes even LESS sense to debate it, doesn't it? Since there's an obvious conclusion.

I get what you're saying but there's never really a debate on which team is better. Usually in the soccer forum, all we do is talk shit about each other's team, talk about roster moves, transfer window deadline, have game threads about certain matches and talk about Messi. There's never a debate about team X vs team Y. But I get what you mean. It's never like in the NBA/Spurs forum matching each position and saying Parker>Nash, Kobe > Green, MWP > Leonard, etc. and getting into a debate about the teams. Soccer is way too hard, dynamic, too many variables and unpredictable for that.

And that's honestly the biggest reason why I'm a PC gamer these days. I had nearly as much fun from indie titles like FTL, Chivalry, Natural Selection 2, and League of Legends (hard to call that "indie" now but it was when I started playing) as I have playing everything else. And the total I paid for those 4 games was a grand total of maybe $40.

Recommend me some more Indie games when you get the chance. I've been out of the loop far too long and don't know what's good. I'm playing Primordia and it's been fun so far.

z0sa
02-21-2013, 02:59 PM
For me, the main difference between PC and console will always be the mouse and keyboard. I play mostly everything on low graphics settings anyway to avoid any lag issues (yeah I get serious about my multiplayer gaming sometimes, so sue me). But the mouse and keyboard are just lightyears ahead of a gamepad.... usually.

Cry Havoc
02-21-2013, 03:01 PM
I get what you're saying but there's never really a debate on which team is better. Usually in the soccer forum, all we do is talk shit about each other's team, talk about roster moves, transfer window deadline, have game threads about certain matches and talk about Messi. There's never a debate about team X vs team Y. But I get what you mean. It's never like in the NBA/Spurs forum matching each position and saying Parker>Nash, Kobe > Green, MWP > Leonard, etc. and getting into a debate about the teams. Soccer is way too hard, dynamic, too many variables and unpredictable for that.

Yeah, soccer is definitely a lot more subtle than basketball, that's for sure. Probably one of the reasons why American fanbases haven't really caught on. I'm going to try to get to some Earthquake games this year. Should be a blast. I've been trying to follow Premier League but I just can't find a team to root for, and it seems kind of stupid to root for Everton just because they have Howard. :lol :tu

Recommend me some more Indie games when you get the chance. I've been out of the loop far too long and don't know what's good. I'm playing Primordia and it's been fun so far.

It really depends on what kind of games you like. FTL is amazing. League of Legends is improving constantly, although the current meta is kind of a drag. Binding of Isaac is fucking incredible, like Legend of Zelda meets Super Smash TV. Chivalry is good if you're into that sort of multiplayer sword fighting. Natural Selection 2 is my favorite indie title right now though. Absolutely awesome gameplay.

Cry Havoc
02-21-2013, 03:02 PM
For me, the main difference between PC and console will always be the mouse and keyboard. I play mostly everything on low graphics settings anyway to avoid any lag issues (yeah I get serious about my multiplayer gaming sometimes, so sue me). But the mouse and keyboard are just lightyears ahead of a gamepad.... usually.

I've been starting to play HotS... what do you think of it? Terran just seems annoyingly easy to play these days. No siege mode, widow mines everywhere, ugh.

symple19
02-21-2013, 03:05 PM
smfh... All I had to do was write LOL Consoles and look what happens

I've been doing this and pissing people off for a long time around here

LOL trolled

z0sa
02-21-2013, 03:06 PM
I've been starting to play HotS... what do you think of it? Terran just seems annoyingly easy to play these days. No siege mode, widow mines everywhere, ugh.

Yeah, I switched to Terran for HotS bro :lol You can go mech in 100% of the matchups now thanks to the Widow Mine. In 2v2 I do a widow mine drop every game and it literally always does economic damage (either tons of delayed mining time or just killing 15+ workers in seconds). In 1v1 it's probably "balanced" per se but in team games you can sit back and get a massive force of WMs, tanks, and hellbats so quick.

NASpurs
02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Yeah, soccer is definitely a lot more subtle than basketball, that's for sure. Probably one of the reasons why American fanbases haven't really caught on. I'm going to try to get to some Earthquake games this year. Should be a blast. I've been trying to follow Premier League but I just can't find a team to root for, and it seems kind of stupid to root for Everton just because they have Howard. :lol :tu

Just try to catch as many games as you can. Maybe there will be a player that you start to follow or there's a team's style that you like. Just don't become a glory hunter, meaning following Manchester United because they win trophies. :lol But another suggestion is to get FIFA 13 and play as many EPL teams as you can, and get to know the players that way as well. I've known a lot of people who've gotten into soccer and followed EPL teams because of FIFA. If you're new into the sport, another great game is Football Manager. That game will teach you all the ins and out about soccer including managing a team, formations, transfer windows, etc. Crazy game and really good! But yeah, going to Earthquake games is a good way to get into the sport. There's nothing like catching a game live.

It really depends on what kind of games you like. FTL is amazing. League of Legends is improving constantly, although the current meta is kind of a drag. Binding of Isaac is fucking incredible, like Legend of Zelda meets Super Smash TV. Chivalry is good if you're into that sort of multiplayer sword fighting. Natural Selection 2 is my favorite indie title right now though. Absolutely awesome gameplay.

Thanks for the suggestions. :tu

Cry Havoc
02-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Just try to catch as many games as you can. Maybe there will be a player that you start to follow or there's a team's style that you like. Just don't become a glory hunter, meaning following Manchester United because they win trophies. :lol But another suggestion is to get FIFA 13 and play as many EPL teams as you can, and get to know the players that way as well. I've known a lot of people who've gotten into soccer and followed EPL teams because of FIFA. If you're new into the sport, another great game is Football Manager. That game will teach you all the ins and out about soccer including managing a team, formations, transfer windows, etc. Crazy game and really good! But yeah, going to Earthquake games is a good way to get into the sport. There's nothing like catching a game live.

I actually know quite a bit, mostly from watching over the years and playing Winning Eleven 9. I feel like I have a pretty good knowledge base when I watch, although team's decisions to send a pass 50m down the pitch into 4 defenders still baffles me sometimes when they have perfectly serviceable short passes they could make instead. It's hard not to admire Messi because he's just a monster and doesn't flop nearly as often as most players.

NASpurs
02-21-2013, 03:17 PM
I actually know quite a bit, mostly from watching over the years and playing Winning Eleven 9. I feel like I have a pretty good knowledge base when I watch, although team's decisions to send a pass 50m down the pitch still baffles me sometimes when they have perfectly serviceable short passes they could make instead. It's hard not to admire Messi because he's just a monster and doesn't flop nearly as often as most players.

Yeah, the percentages say catching a team off guard like that won't work but teams still try it. But sometimes the defender will trip or fuck up and that's all is needed in soccer to win a game. A mistake. It's crazy how perfect you have to play to win a game, especially against top tier teams.

vander
02-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Will the Xbox 3 still have Media Center extender?

PM5K
02-21-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm just disappointed in features that probably could have been done this generation via software updates.

mingus
02-21-2013, 08:29 PM
So you've played every Ps3 and every Xbox 360 game? Why would you pay $500 for a system and $60 for new games when you could own an older console for $200 and have a massive library of 500+ $20-40 titles?

What the hell does playing every game on those systems have to do with anything?

MannyIsGod
02-21-2013, 09:12 PM
smfh... All I had to do was write LOL Consoles and look what happens

I've been doing this and pissing people off for a long time around here

LOL trolled

You must be proud.

MannyIsGod
02-21-2013, 09:15 PM
The whole "omg PCs are better" bullshit was bound to show up.

Exlusives, ease of use. Thats it.

Cry Havoc
02-21-2013, 09:24 PM
What the hell does playing every game on those systems have to do with anything?

I'll just repaste this:

Why would you pay $500 for a system and $60 for new games when you could own an older console for $200 and have a massive library of 500+ $20-40 titles?

Cry Havoc
02-21-2013, 09:27 PM
The whole "omg PCs are better" bullshit was bound to show up.

Exlusives, ease of use. Thats it.

PCs are insanely easy to use these days. Everything updates itself. You download games and you play them. Hell with Steam you don't even have to install, they stream right to your hard drive in playable states.

Exclusives are a good point, but since when are exclusives only limited to consoles? Unless you've been playing RTS/MOBA on console and somehow managed to install all the other PC exclusives as well? And any game that's not exclusive is so much more detailed on PC.

Even still, now that consoles are going to x86, it's going to be even less of a difference.

mingus
02-21-2013, 10:48 PM
I'll just repaste this:Yeah, that post proved to me you are an idiot. Your insistence that it answers my question proves to me that you are a persistent idiot.

MannyIsGod
02-22-2013, 12:35 AM
PCs are insanely easy to use these days. Everything updates itself. You download games and you play them. Hell with Steam you don't even have to install, they stream right to your hard drive in playable states.

Exclusives are a good point, but since when are exclusives only limited to consoles? Unless you've been playing RTS/MOBA on console and somehow managed to install all the other PC exclusives as well? And any game that's not exclusive is so much more detailed on PC.

Even still, now that consoles are going to x86, it's going to be even less of a difference.

Look we get it. YOU find advantages to PC gaming. Others find legitimate advantages to console gaming. End of story.

Bynumite
02-22-2013, 08:38 AM
You have superior graphics and performance on PC and the best controls for shooters but if you're only a PC gamer, you will miss a lot of high quality console exclusives and often end up with terrible console ports or no ports at all.

Death In June
02-22-2013, 02:38 PM
PC gaming is for people with no friends.

Cry Havoc
02-23-2013, 04:36 AM
Yeah, that post proved to me you are an idiot. Your insistence that it answers my question proves to me that you are a persistent idiot.

So, why are you buying the newest console again?

leemajors
02-23-2013, 11:59 AM
PC gaming is for people with no friends.

the 90s called, they want their joke back maaaaan

Reck
02-23-2013, 02:41 PM
the 90s called, they want their joke back maaaaan

People still play WOW for days though.

leemajors
02-23-2013, 02:50 PM
People still play WOW for days though.

People watch Netflix for days, too.

Reck
02-23-2013, 02:54 PM
People watch Netflix for days, too.

I dont see how that applies here.

leemajors
02-23-2013, 03:38 PM
I dont see how that applies here.

A tiny subset of people play WoW for days, so PC gamers have no friends.

Reck
02-23-2013, 03:47 PM
A tiny subset of people play WoW for days, so PC gamers have no friends.

You misunderstood me. I didn't mean that all PC gamers have no friends. Just randomly saying that some people, mostly loners still play WoW for days on end.

leemajors
02-23-2013, 03:52 PM
yes, some people are nuts :lol

DJR210
02-23-2013, 04:00 PM
I have already moved on to a sick gaming PC. Best gaming decision I ever made TBH.

DJR210
02-23-2013, 04:06 PM
This is why I quit the console:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128422569

Reck
02-23-2013, 04:53 PM
This is why I quit the console:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128422569

Did it kill your console? :lol

This game is easily in the top 3 of PS3 glitchiest game ever made. I almost bought it but thankfully I did some research and noticed 98% of PS3 users had some sort of major issues with the game so I passed.

DJR210
02-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Did it kill your console? :lol

This game is easily in the top 3 of PS3 glitchiest game ever made. I almost bought it but thankfully I did some research and noticed 98% of PS3 users had some sort of major issues with the game so I passed. Nah, it made me buy a PC because the graphics on console suck, and now after 30 something graphics mods, I get the best graphics I've ever seen on a game.

apalisoc_9
02-23-2013, 08:50 PM
I just want to sit on my fckking couch and play my game on 40+ inch tv...PC lol...

mingus
02-23-2013, 09:30 PM
So, why are you buying the newest console again?

Why not re-read what you wrote to see where your argument went retarded? Maybe then you can ask the right questions.

IronMaxipad
02-23-2013, 09:55 PM
I just want to sit on my fckking couch and play my game on 40+ inch tv...PC lol...
I sit on my couch and play pc games on a 40 inch tv...

apalisoc_9
02-23-2013, 10:01 PM
I sit on my couch and play pc games on a 40 inch tv...

Lol having to do all that trying to connect stuff.

and pc will never have mgs, or uncharted like games too.

leemajors
02-23-2013, 10:10 PM

Yeah, the pc has zero third person 3d platformers.

DJR210
02-23-2013, 11:03 PM
I just want to sit on my fckking couch and play my game on 40+ inch tv...PC lol... I sit in front of a 55" inch gaming on my PC. Get with the times, PC has HDMI out just like a console.

DJR210
02-23-2013, 11:05 PM

The vids from the newest MGS are the PC version.

DJR210
02-23-2013, 11:10 PM

For 1st and 3rd person titles M and K is the way to go once you get used to it.

Cry Havoc
02-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Why not re-read what you wrote to see where your argument went retarded? Maybe then you can ask the right questions.

You want to pay $500 for a console and $60 for new games when there are good games you haven't played that are available on a $200-250 console for $20-40 a piece.

Ok chief. Do what you want with your money. Just don't tell me "graphics don't matter", because everyone knows you're lying.

Reck
02-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Ok chief. Do what you want with your money. Just don't tell me "graphics don't matter", because everyone knows you're lying.

They dont for some people.

Personally I'm into the story of the game and its gameplay mechanics. The visuals aren't terribly important to me. They sure add to the experience but overall I just like to have fun with whatever games I play.

redzero
02-23-2013, 11:58 PM
PC is infinitely better for games like Skyrim and Fallout.

Dem mods, man.

IronMaxipad
02-24-2013, 12:25 AM

Yeah cuz it's such a pain in the ass to connect the pc to tv via hdmi.

CuckingFunt
02-24-2013, 02:31 AM
I prefer console gaming for a number of reasons, including but not limited to my own stubbornness. But I don't go so far as to think PC gamers are stupid losers who've made a wrong decision.

People get way too fucking attached to their own preferences and personal tastes.

apalisoc_9
02-24-2013, 03:26 AM
Yeah cuz it's such a pain in the ass to connect the pc to tv via hdmi.

it is acutally. PC on the living room is not a choice for most people anyway

leemajors
02-24-2013, 11:36 AM

Personally I'm into the story of the game and its gameplay mechanics. The visuals aren't terribly important to me. They sure add to the experience but overall I just like to have fun with whatever games I play.

Big board game fan?

Cry Havoc
02-24-2013, 03:22 PM

That's great, I have no problem at all with that. One of my favorite games of the past year is Faster than Light, which has incredibly basic graphics.

DJR210
02-24-2013, 05:05 PM

Dem mods, man. Yup, that pic I posted from Skyrim has like 80 mods installed.

DJR210
02-24-2013, 05:07 PM
it is acutally. PC on the living room is not a choice for most people anyway
You can build a MicroATX PC with a case the same size as a console. You can also buy the x51 from Alienware which is their attempt at the console crowd. Next un-researched "point" please.

DJR210
02-24-2013, 05:12 PM
I think one aspect of this PC - Console debate that has been overlooked has been cost. I personally love logging on to Steam and taking advantage of a -75% sale on one of the top games. I have saved a ton of cash since making the switch. I got Max Payne 3 for 14.99, GTA IV complete pack for 7.99, Sleeping Dogs was even 2.99 at one point. Even when the game isn't on sale, they are 49.00 opposed to the 59.00 because they can be downloaded, so that adds up too.

apalisoc_9
02-24-2013, 05:22 PM
You can build a MicroATX PC with a case the same size as a console. You can also buy the x51 from Alienware which is their attempt at the console crowd. Next un-researched "point" please.

People would rather buy a box tbh.

Creepn
02-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Main thing about consoles are that they are more socially acceptable than PCs with guests and spouses. Your spouse may think worse of you gaming on a pc than on a console in the livingroom. Friends coming over are more comfortable just picking up the second controller to play Madden with you.

I do miss those pc gaming days of old though.

DJR210
02-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Main thing about consoles are that they are more socially acceptable than PCs with guests and spouses. Your spouse may think worse of you gaming on a pc than on a console in the livingroom. Friends coming over are more comfortable just picking up the second controller to play Madden with you.

You do have a point, but I just cant see how this is an issue. First, the PC is hooked up to the side of the TV, as part of the entertainment center. I have two wireless Xbox controllers connected to the PC. Steam's Mode operates similiarly to the home pages of the consoles. It's only difference is cost, TBH. Second, my spouse wouldn't be my spouse if she didn't accept me as me. But yes, she did have a hard time accepting it compared to a console, but because of the price.

redzero
02-24-2013, 09:52 PM

Then get new friends.

Cry Havoc
02-25-2013, 03:33 PM

:lol omg u nerd why do you like technology so much I'm going to get my smartphone out to take a picture of you cuz ur so nerdy haha nerd

Xevious
02-25-2013, 07:11 PM

Dem mods, man.
THIS is the best argument for the console vs PC argument. Being able to customize games is nice vs waiting around for the next DLC to pay for. The graphics argument is moot IMO. The difference between one system or another has been pretty marginal for years now.

My thing is that I just don't have time to play games like I used to. And since we've entered the smartphone/tablet era, I don't use my PC as much as I used to and it isn't worth it to me to spend money to get a top-end computer. There's a small handful of games I'll shell out for every year and it's just easier to get them on console.

Darius McCrary
02-27-2013, 11:04 PM

Look we get it. YOU find advantages to PC gaming. Others find legitimate advantages to console gaming. End of story.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/35514312.jpg

Cry Havoc
02-28-2013, 12:56 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/35514312.jpg

Umadbro?

U definitely mad.

If you have $500 to blow on machine that does little else but play games, you really aren't too hard up for $$$.

Cry Havoc
02-28-2013, 12:58 AM
THIS is the best argument for the console vs PC argument. Being able to customize games is nice vs waiting around for the next DLC to pay for. The graphics argument is moot IMO. The difference between one system or another has been pretty marginal for years now.

My thing is that I just don't have time to play games like I used to. And since we've entered the smartphone/tablet era, I don't use my PC as much as I used to and it isn't worth it to me to spend money to get a top-end computer. There's a small handful of games I'll shell out for every year and it's just easier to get them on console.

Games are a LOT cheaper on computer, and for similar money you can build a desktop that's just as powerful as the new consoles.

Darius McCrary
02-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Umadbro?

U definitely mad.

If you have $500 to blow on machine that does little else but play games, you really aren't too hard up for $$$.

Nah I'd never pay that much for a console. Just illustrating how, while you make many good points, you have an insular view on the topic.

Cry Havoc
02-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Nah I'd never pay that much for a console. Just illustrating how, while you make many good points, you have an insular view on the topic.

I'll accept that criticism with the caveat that many people who are dismissing PCs as viable are doing so with an archaic vantage point in many areas. This isn't 2000. PCs are easier to use than ever, and the power gap between a PC and a console seems to be growing.

All that said, there are some interesting features to the PS4. I haven't entirely ruled out getting one, but it's going to take something really special to pull me in that direction.

One really amazing feature that I haven't even realized until late is that if you buy a game for PC on a cloud based service, it's instantly and eminently available when you build a new rig.

Cry Havoc
02-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Another thought: Sony should package a PSVita with the PS4 at a discounted price. It would be a great way to push both systems and give them more of a mobile userbase.

Darius McCrary
02-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Yea but they wouldn't do it because it makes too much sense.

Until Pcs meld more commonplace with TV areas in the typical household, consoles will always have footing. Especially when you consider that people living paycheck to paycheck somehow find money to buy iPads, they'll most def have money to buy a console which they can set up next to the TV, and play games seconds after taking it out of the box.

Reck
02-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Handhelds are a thing of the past. The PSP failed misserably, I expect the Vita to suffer the same fate.

The games for those things are almost as much as the games for consoles themselves.

NASpurs
02-28-2013, 11:07 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5987717/sonys-4k-movie-streaming-will-work-on-ps4++at-100gb-a-pop

Oh, and by the way, a typical 4K movie download will chew up more than 100 GB of bandwidth.
-----------

I know that article is mostly about 4K movies but I just had a good laugh at those movies being 100 GB per movie. Can't see Netflix streaming that type of movie anytime soon. :lol

Reck
02-28-2013, 11:19 PM
"as Sony announced plans to roll out a lot more movies for the service in time for summer. And you should have them downloaded and ready to watch just in time for fall."

ROFL

This is one of those ideas you would like to implement into your system but ultimately doesn't work. Or at least not without any sort of alternative route.

NASpurs
03-01-2013, 12:29 AM
The infrastructure as far as internet goes isn't ready for that here... well maybe in some areas but the rest of the U.S. isn't ready. Let's all cross our fingers that Google Fiber expand... and expand in a hurry. Or at least other broadband companies start to ratchet it up. Even fucking Romania has better broadband than we do.

:lol @ that quote

ElNono
03-01-2013, 02:22 AM
this PC vs Console shit again? smh

Pop
03-01-2013, 07:46 AM
I'll accept that criticism with the caveat that many people who are dismissing PCs as viable are doing so with an archaic vantage point in many areas. This isn't 2000. PCs are easier to use than ever, and the power gap between a PC and a console seems to be growing.

Is it really the case or is it just because the current gen of console lasted the longest and is pretty damn old at this point? To me it seems like the evolution of PCs is getting slower, actually the most recent big changes are the focus on power consumption and the way ARM challenged Intel with less powerful procs...

I don't have any current console and I run Ubuntu and basically don't play on it but I'm not sure what to get at this point. Maybe a OUYA, who knows, I don't care that much about graphics tbh.

I'm having plenty of fun playing something like that :
http://bombermine.com/#/play

Xevious
03-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Games are a LOT cheaper on computer, and for similar money you can build a desktop that's just as powerful as the new consoles.True, but the life cycle of a PC isn't nearly as long as the current gen consoles have been.

leemajors
03-01-2013, 11:26 AM
True, but the life cycle of a PC isn't nearly as long as the current gen consoles have been.

Mod communities can keep games going for years.

Cry Havoc
03-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Is it really the case or is it just because the current gen of console lasted the longest and is pretty damn old at this point? To me it seems like the evolution of PCs is getting slower, actually the most recent big changes are the focus on power consumption and the way ARM challenged Intel with less powerful procs...

I don't have any current console and I run Ubuntu and basically don't play on it but I'm not sure what to get at this point. Maybe a OUYA, who knows, I don't care that much about graphics tbh.

I'm having plenty of fun playing something like that :
http://bombermine.com/#/play

When the PS3 was released it was arguably the most powerful gaming machine you could buy for any amount of money. At the very least it was close to the top end PCs of the day.

When the PS4 is released, it won't even be on par with a mid-tier gaming rig, in terms of raw processing power. Now obviously it will be better optimized because it's just meant to game, but the fact remains that PCs have become exceedingly powerful with the yearly NVidia and AMD releases. The PS4 will have ~1.86 TFLOPS of computing power, where as top of the line GPUs today are already managing double that, to say nothing of the next line of video cards that will undoubtedly push the envelope even farther.

Cry Havoc
03-01-2013, 12:10 PM
True, but the life cycle of a PC isn't nearly as long as the current gen consoles have been.

Depends on what you define as "life cycle". The PS3 has been hopelessly out of date for a couple of years, minimum.

Reck
03-01-2013, 04:33 PM
So I just learned that the PS4 wont play PS3 games. :lol

That's pretty pathetic.

Cry Havoc
03-01-2013, 05:06 PM
So I just learned that the PS4 wont play PS3 games. :lol

That's pretty pathetic.

I doubt the 720 will either, especially if they both go to x86.

Yet another point in the PC's favor.

NASpurs
03-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Not to sound like a smartass but of course it's not going to play PS3 games. It would have needed some crazy CPU that doesn't exist right now to emulate the PS3 or some kind of CELL processor inside the PS4 that would have raised the prices. I think they're going to use Gaikai for PS and PS2 games and probably later on PS3 games as soon as the emulation is up to snuff. Besides no on really cares about backwards compatibility. I could count on one hand how many times I used my PS3 for PS2 emulation. It's not a really big selling point for hardcore gamers.

Reck
03-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Besides no on really cares about backwards compatibility. I could count on one hand how many times I used my PS3 for PS2 emulation. It's not a really big selling point for hardcore gamers.

I care. lol

The PS3 has far better games than the PS2 ever had so dumping the PS2 for the PS3 was not really that hard but in this case it is a hard selling point, specially when the PS4 has a very limited and pretty boring launch titles.

Ultimately I will get a PS4 obviously but will wait a long while.

All those sweet upcoming games for the PS3 will keep me busy until the PS4 builds up quite the library.

GT6 apparently will not be a next gen console game but will be for the PS3.

Check this out..

http://www.destructoid.com/gran-turismo-6-is-a-game-for-the-playstation-3--247302.phtml

vander
03-01-2013, 07:24 PM
The PS3 has far better games than the PS2 ever had so dumping the PS2 for the PS3 was not really that hard but in this case it is a hard selling point, specially when the PS4 has a very limited and pretty boring launch titles.

wow :smchode:

Xevious
03-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Depends on what you define as "life cycle". The PS3 has been hopelessly out of date for a couple of years, minimum.

Out of date for who? If all you're interested in is specs, then you're right. But new games are still being released for it. A PC built 5 years ago probably won't play shit anymore though.

Again, for somebody like me who only plays a few games a year, it doesn't make sense to worry about having a top tier PC. Obviously your priorities are different, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Cane
03-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Tbh gaming in general needs a boost, the industry is more boring than Hollywood on a bad day

PC gaming needs more games that are worth a medium/high-end rig, and that isn't really going to happen with consoles dominating the sales charts. All the traditional PC genres like MMO's and strategy games seem to be on the decline as a whole, and FPS are mostly goddam ports (although of course nothing beats a mouse + keyboard...then again consoles have the couch factor)

Not a fan of having to be always online, and it just about killed LAN gaming for me since no one likes to support LAN out of the box anymore

I thought the Sony PS4 was rumored to support used/old games, seems like it would be a smart PR move to help fight against the Big Brother 1984 Microsoft Box crap. Wtf always watching you? And MS is still trying to connect us to Kinect, fuck that

Rabble rabble

ElNono
03-02-2013, 02:02 AM
When the PS4 is released, it won't even be on par with a mid-tier gaming rig, in terms of raw processing power. Now obviously it will be better optimized because it's just meant to game, but the fact remains that PCs have become exceedingly powerful with the yearly NVidia and AMD releases. The PS4 will have ~1.86 TFLOPS of computing power, where as top of the line GPUs today are already managing double that, to say nothing of the next line of video cards that will undoubtedly push the envelope even farther.

And those top of the line GPUs will probably cost you the same as the entire PS4... and if you try to even remotely keep up, say every 2 years, you'll end up spending 4x-6x the cost of a PS4, and that's on the GPU alone.

I think iOS/Android, and the longevity of last's gen console have proven the whole race for GFLOPS, 24xAA, 120fps at 3160x2400 is arcane and fairly irrelevant to the market at large. The whole business has been shifting to both content and affordability.

These days, MS and Sony are way more interested to make sure you go to facebook/twitter/social through their gear and they can control the experience so they can upsell to you. Steam in a lot of ways is a lot like that too.

If you look at Windows 8, there's a whole lot of that going on there. It's a model that worked well for Apple and it's not surprising everybody is going to it. Is it good/bad for the consumer? debatable. It's just the direction things are headed.

ElNono
03-02-2013, 02:05 AM
Out of date for who? If all you're interested in is specs, then you're right. But new games are still being released for it. A PC built 5 years ago probably won't play shit anymore though.

Again, for somebody like me who only plays a few games a year, it doesn't make sense to worry about having a top tier PC. Obviously your priorities are different, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Completely agree. While it's not difficult to see that some of these consoles are starting to show their age, I'm playing TR on the 360 right now and it's gorgeous. Will the PC version running on a top of the line GPU look better? probably. Who cares though?

Reck
03-02-2013, 03:15 AM
ElNono taking a stance for console users? :wow

ElNono
03-02-2013, 09:53 AM
ElNono taking a stance for console users? :wow

Ehhh... no. I'm merely pointing out that cost-wise it's going to be difficult for your 'loaded' PC to compete with the pre-package. If money is no concern to you, then that obviously is not a problem (although, money is normally a concern for the vast majority of us).

This argument is silly because what's 'best' varies from person to person. For example, I tried a lot of combos through time (including souped up PC), and what eventually worked for me (at home, not at work) is to have a modest computer (still have a SSD/memory upgraded MacMini from early 2009) and a console for videogames... and by 'worked for me' I mean cost/satisfaction ratio... you take your average children, and the combination might be completely different.

leemajors
03-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Ehhh... no. I'm merely pointing out that cost-wise it's going to be difficult for your 'loaded' PC to compete with the pre-package. If money is no concern to you, then that obviously is not a problem (although, money is normally a concern for the vast majority of us).

This argument is silly because what's 'best' varies from person to person. For example, I tried a lot of combos through time (including souped up PC), and what eventually worked for me (at home, not at work) is to have a modest computer (still have a SSD/memory upgraded MacMini from early 2009) and a console for videogames... and by 'worked for me' I mean cost/satisfaction ratio... you take your average children, and the combination might be completely different.

My daughter is perfectly content building cities in Minecraft on her iPod touch :lol

Cry Havoc
03-02-2013, 11:52 AM
And those top of the line GPUs will probably cost you the same as the entire PS4... and if you try to even remotely keep up, say every 2 years, you'll end up spending 4x-6x the cost of a PS4, and that's on the GPU alone.

Perhaps, but a modest GPU right now is $150 and will have the same raw processing power as the PS4, meaning that in a year the mid-range $200 GPU will likely surpass the PS4 by a fairly healthy margin. I spent $600 on my recent computer and I'd like to see it go head to head with the PS4, honestly. I think by the time the PS4 is released for $500 you'll be able to buy machines that handily beat it for similar money. I've seen builds on Reddit that have a 7950 for under $700 right now.

I think iOS/Android, and the longevity of last's gen console have proven the whole race for GFLOPS, 24xAA, 120fps at 3160x2400 is arcane and fairly irrelevant to the market at large. The whole business has been shifting to both content and affordability.

I agree that indie titles are definitely making a comeback, but there is obviously still space for the heavy hitters. It would actually be great to see more games that focus on the original Deus Ex type open format gameplay rather than putting you on a rail like CoD does.

These days, MS and Sony are way more interested to make sure you go to facebook/twitter/social through their gear and they can control the experience so they can upsell to you. Steam in a lot of ways is a lot like that too.

What? I've never had to do any kind of marketing. Obviously social media is becoming more important, but I haven't been "forced" to do anything.

If you look at Windows 8, there's a whole lot of that going on there. It's a model that worked well for Apple and it's not surprising everybody is going to it. Is it good/bad for the consumer? debatable. It's just the direction things are headed.

Too early to say. I love Win8 though. Solid, fast as hell, and more control over processes than 7.

Completely agree. While it's not difficult to see that some of these consoles are starting to show their age, I'm playing TR on the 360 right now and it's gorgeous. Will the PC version running on a top of the line GPU look better? probably. Who cares though?

That's like going to a car show and asking the dude why he switched out his headers for high performance, because "who cares" if you're only dropping your 1/4 mile time by half a second? I have the hardware, why wouldn't I want to push it?

For what it's worth, my $600 portable rig plays almost everything on max. If I hadn't wanted to make it so small and easy to carry, I could have gone for even more performance around the same price point.

Depends on what you define by "compete". PCs are obviously more expensive, however at the PS4 launch, it's not going to be nearly as big of a difference as it was when the PS3 was released. You're paying a little extra for a lot more utility and a lot more power as well.

Completely agree, and more power to you. My main point in this is that a lot of the old arguments about PCs (you need $2k and a degree in CS, you can't play on a TV screen/with a controller, they're hard to use and unstable, games aren't as good, etc) have really gone by the wayside in the past 4-5 years. There aren't really negatives to either anymore, once the PS4 launches, it will just be about the tradeoffs you want to make.

ElNono
03-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Perhaps, but a modest GPU right now is $150 and will have the same raw processing power as the PS4, meaning that in a year the mid-range $200 GPU will likely surpass the PS4 by a fairly healthy margin. I spent $600 on my recent computer and I'd like to see it go head to head with the PS4, honestly. I think by the time the PS4 is released for $500 you'll be able to buy machines that handily beat it for similar money. I've seen builds on Reddit that have a 7950 for under $700 right now.

A 'modest' GPU is all Sony needs to run Killzone on 1080p smoothly for the next 5-6 years. That's their equation. You're fixated on stats and nothing I tell you will change that.

I also have $100 that you won't leave your current $600 computer untouched for the next 5-6 years, and that you'll be upgrading every 2/3 years (at the very least), putting more and more money into it or putting together a different box altogether. And that's ok, because that's what works for you. But you are not the average consumer that just wants to play Killzone on 1080p smoothly for the next 5-6 years and are simply better served by buying a PS4 and spending the extra money on something else.

I agree that indie titles are definitely making a comeback, but there is obviously still space for the heavy hitters. It would actually be great to see more games that focus on the original Deus Ex type open format gameplay rather than putting you on a rail like CoD does.

Heavy hitters will play and look great on consoles, like they do now. After all, most of them are written for them specifically then ported to PC. When you think about it, the vast majority of AAA games' main target are console users. That's the market where they make their money on. Souped up PCs are down the foodchain (if they even bother to produce a port). Will it run at more fps and have 12 more shader effects? Possibly. Does it make the console version look like a Commodore 64? ehhh, no.

What? I've never had to do any kind of marketing. Obviously social media is becoming more important, but I haven't been "forced" to do anything.

Uh? I think you didn't understand what I posted.

Too early to say. I love Win8 though. Solid, fast as hell, and more control over processes than 7.

What do you mean too early to say? Win8 is actually late to the party.

That's like going to a car show and asking the dude why he switched out his headers for high performance, because "who cares" if you're only dropping your 1/4 mile time by half a second? I have the hardware, why wouldn't I want to push it?

It's more like needing a commuter car for day to day and also wanting to do some track events here and there. You could buy a Bugatti Veyron and do both, but for the bulk of what you're going to be doing it's going to be a costly waste. Or you could get a cheap commuter and a Porsche and do all of that for a lot less money and both still have fun and get things done.

But here is where the personal choice comes in. You would be the equivalent of the car-freak. You'll likely choose the Veyron regardless, because you love cars and your main thing is masturbating at the car power, instead of thinking in terms of cost/utility. And that's fine, because while you might be a niche, *that* is what gives you satisfaction.

For what it's worth, my $600 portable rig plays almost everything on max. If I hadn't wanted to make it so small and easy to carry, I could have gone for even more performance around the same price point.

That's cool, but does will it play Killzone at 1080p for the next 5-6 years? That's what 'power' means for the average consumer.

Depends on what you define by "compete". PCs are obviously more expensive, however at the PS4 launch, it's not going to be nearly as big of a difference as it was when the PS3 was released. You're paying a little extra for a lot more utility and a lot more power as well.

PS4 will simply have a much larger shelf life than any PC. When you look at cost, you're going to have to look at it from a 'lifetime' standpoint. After all, we all pay upfront for almost everything, but the actual cost depends on it's usable life.

If I buy a PS4, I'm buying the guarantee that games will work well on my 1080p TV, look great, and will have a solid stream of titles for the next 5-6 years. And that's ultimately all that matters.

Completely agree, and more power to you. My main point in this is that a lot of the old arguments about PCs (you need $2k and a degree in CS, you can't play on a TV screen/with a controller, they're hard to use and unstable, games aren't as good, etc) have really gone by the wayside in the past 4-5 years. There aren't really negatives to either anymore, once the PS4 launches, it will just be about the tradeoffs you want to make.

well, I disagree on some of that. Most PCs will require PC maintenance (anti-virus, firewall, spam, etc etc etc) and upkeep (latest drivers, latest steam client, dusting off once in a while, etc etc etc). It's stuff I don't want in my way when I just want to play games. From a convenience standpoint, consoles are still simply more convenient if you just want to play games.

Heath Ledger
03-08-2013, 07:18 AM
I am once again done with pc gaming. Cheating is rampant. BF3 and Black Ops 2 are effectively ruined.

Wild Cobra
03-08-2013, 07:24 AM
I am once again done with pc gaming. Cheating is rampant. BF3 and Black Ops 2 are effectively ruined.

Someone out there has hacked the GT5 save files, and now there are cheat cars they play with online.