PDA

View Full Version : Rockets contacted Walker's agent(full mle)

ducks
07-02-2005, 10:59 AM
On the first day of the NBA's free agent negotiating period, Houston emerged as a potential landing site for Antoine Walker .

According to sources, the Rockets contacted Walker's agent, Mark Bartelstein, and expressed interest in the power forward who returned to the Celtics in a trade this past February. Walker, in turn, showed interest in the Rockets and reportedly could be visiting Houston as early as next week.

Director of basketball operations Danny Ainge also contacted Bartelstein to reiterate the Celtics' interest in bringing back Walker. But assuming the Rockets are willing to spend their entire mid-level exception (approximately $5 million for one season), Walker could find Houston a more inviting option than the Celtics because of the Western Conference team's proximity to contending for a title.

The Rockets did sign first-round pick Luther Head, a guard selected with the 24th overall pick in Tuesday's draft.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2005, 11:09 AM
If this comes to pass, we won't have to worry about the Rockets for the next five years.

exstatic
07-02-2005, 11:17 AM
:lol Walker is kryptonite to winning.

Gino2882
07-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Walker is a good player though. A big SF or small PF who can hit the 3. However, not a team player and never had been a winner.

exstatic
07-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Walker is a good player though. A big SF or small PF who can hit the 3. However, not a team player and never had been a winner.
That was what I was saying. Those types of players are an anathema to winning programs. He's Corliss Williamson, with a hype machine behind him.

Gino2882
07-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Ya, but he is a much better player than Corliss Williamson.

Duff McCartney
07-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Walker would instantly shoot the Rockets back down to the 8th seed.

Spurologist
07-02-2005, 12:23 PM
That was what I was saying. Those types of players are an anathema to winning programs. He's Corliss Williamson, with a hype machine behind him.

I think corliss has a ring with the pistons. Walker has escaped the early rounds of the playoffs with dallas and boston. That's winning to some degree unless you're talking about winning a championship. Maybe he just needs to be in the ideal situation for him to succeed. The rockets might be it. You can bank on the fact that the rockets will be better with toine.

T Park
07-02-2005, 12:40 PM
The Rockets will NOT be better with "toine"

What need does Toine fill for the Rockets that they are missing?!?!!??!?!?!??!?!

They need a PF, and they had one in Maurice Taylor, but traded him for Mr 5 million Baker.

timvp
07-02-2005, 03:46 PM
:lmao

R.I.P. Houston Rockets

1Parker1
07-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Rockets need to go after a solid PG and a solid bench player who can be a good role player for them. If they can do that, with Yao and McGrady they can finally get out of the first round and become contenders.

Ozzy
07-02-2005, 04:22 PM
When you have a guy capable of putting up 25-30 shots even though his percentage for the night is .250 what you really need is someone to take the ball out of his hands... Too bad that other guy is also capable of using 25-30 balls per game... (with a .125 percentage on a good night...) :spin :drunk :spin

Felonius Monk
07-02-2005, 04:34 PM
A big SF or small PF who can hit the 3.

A mediocre 3 point shooter at .326 lifetime. He just likes to take a bunch of 'em.

Spursdaone
07-02-2005, 04:41 PM
The curse of the Walker will hit Houston. What a dumb idea to pick up such a crappy team player who plays no defense and is selfish. :lol

sungo99
07-02-2005, 04:45 PM
If only the Spurs could clone Antoine and put him on Phoenix, Dallas and Denver, too. We'd be set for the finals for the next 5 years.

50 cent
07-02-2005, 07:54 PM
:lmao

The Rockets must have the 2nd worst front office behind the Knicks.

mavsfan1000
07-02-2005, 11:11 PM
I hope the rockets pick him up. that will guarantee a first round exit for Houston. :lol

ZStomp
07-02-2005, 11:23 PM
HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM.

Walker sux!!

Good Riddance HOU

Samr
07-03-2005, 12:20 AM
I cannot think of a more financially ill-advised move than signing Antoine Walker to the entire mid-level exception.

Really, if you are going to blow that kind of money, at least blow it on something productive. Like candy. Everyone likes candy.

timvp
07-03-2005, 12:33 AM
I cannot think of a more financially ill-advised move than signing Antoine Walker to the entire mid-level exception.

Really, if you are going to blow that kind of money, at least blow it on something productive. Like candy. Everyone likes candy.

:tu

Better idea than Antoine Walker.

ceds
07-03-2005, 12:42 AM
I'll believe it when i see it

There is no way in hell Van Gundy would allow this

sickdsm
07-03-2005, 10:01 AM

Some money raja's getting.

Same desription as a younger glenn robinson.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Seeing as how they road Cutino Mobley out of town on a rail for his ability to never pass up a shot I don't think that the Rockets would really be that eager to grab Toine. Between him and McGrady, Yao would never touch the ball. So I don't know, it could be the right move.

Mr. Body
07-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Every time Antonie Walker gets the ball, that's another shot McGrady's not taking. Maybe the rest of the league is behind this signing?

Rockets need to put good young role players around the two stars they already have, not stretch for another 'star.'