PDA

View Full Version : Celtics Sulinger out for Season, Blair looking more appealing to C's?

cd021
02-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Jared Sullinger is reportedly out for the season (back surgery). Given how bad Boston has been rebounding, Blair appears to be a cheap option that would allow them to improve their worst part of the team.

Offensive Rebound Percentage -21.9% (29th in the NBA)
Total Rebounds-1398 (28th in the NBA)
Total Rebounds Per Game-39.6 (28th in the NBA)

Sullinger played every game as the backup PF, averaging 20 mpg in 45 games
He loss in devastating to the Celtics considering he lead the team in rebounds per 36 minutes with 10.7. By comparison Garnett averages 2 rpg, per 36, less than Sullinger. He also is the teams best offensive rebound with 3.7 offensive boards per 36 minutes, with Brandon Bass ,2nd, with 1.5 rpg fewer than Sullingers.

Dejun Blair provides similar numbers on the glass, even in the worst season of his career.

Per 36 Minutes
Rpg-9.8 (2nd, to Tim Duncan)
ORPG-3.2 (Leads the Team)

Career Numbers
Per 36 Minutes
RPG-11.2rpg
ORpg-4.3 Opg

Offensively their shooting percentages and in terms of per minute scoring Blair appears to be an upgrade 13.9 pp36 to Sullinger's 10.9 this season.

Blair also brings to the table career averages of 8 ppg, in 19 minutes mpg and 1 spg (where he has ranked 10th, 2nd and 7th amongst centers)

The Celtics could, from my understanding, trade a pick for Blair an be able to take on his salary without having to send out a player. Blair is making $1,054,000, while the Celtics are at $70,775,006. They can not exceed $74.3 million because they used the full mid level exception on Jason Terry.

The Spurs may be able to acquire a 1st rounder (conditional, considering the Celtics could miss the playoffs) this season, or a future 1st rounder. Unless their willing to move Garnet or Pierce, along with Lee or Melo to get a good return. Aquiring Blair could help them fill the void after losing 2 of their top 4 rebounders in a span of a week.

MaineSpursFan
02-01-2013, 09:47 PM
blair for rondo straight up seems good to me

ThePop
02-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Blair for Bradley

ColinB
02-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Blair for Bird.

MaineSpursFan
02-01-2013, 09:58 PM
blair for oscar robertson

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2013, 10:02 PM
yes the celtics would take on a shit scrub blair, when they dont need to

fkn clowns creating stupid trade threads

Seventyniner
02-01-2013, 10:06 PM
blair for 3 of the 1960s championship banners

cd021
02-01-2013, 10:09 PM
yes the celtics would take on a shit scrub blair, when they dont need to

fkn clowns creating stupid trade threads

They don't need Blair, really? they're on the verge of missing the playoffs and are one of the wost rebounding teams in the league. They're with out a player ,who accounts for nearly 50 points (points and points off assists) They currently don't have a backup PF. Garnett & Pierce can't carry a team but so far. Terry & Lee have been disappointments and Green has been inconsistent.

Moving a pick for Blair isn't a stupid idea. Making a comment in which you are actually saying nothing in particular about a viable trade is.

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2013, 10:35 PM
They don't need Blair, really? they're on the verge of missing the playoffs and are one of the wost rebounding teams in the league. They're with out a player ,who accounts for nearly 50 points (points and points off assists) They currently don't have a backup PF. Garnett & Pierce can't carry a team but so far. Terry & Lee have been disappointments and Green has been inconsistent.

Moving a pick for Blair isn't a stupid idea. Making a comment in which you are actually saying nothing in particular about a viable trade is.

why would the celtics trade away a draft pick for blair if they are in rebuild mode?

ffadicted
02-01-2013, 10:43 PM
wtf is with all these threads man... every time any other team does any move, someone's gotta come up in here and make a thread about it in the spurs forum as if it's a team shifting move.

NBA forum exists for a reason: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208932

scanry
02-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Note to OP: The Celtics are in full blown rebuild/tank mode. There's no point in even making the playoffs right now. I see them trading away KG & Pierce by the trade deadline and trading Rondo in the off-season.

cd021
02-01-2013, 10:52 PM
why would the celtics trade away a draft pick for blair if they are in rebuild mode?

Did I miss something? They still have Pierce and Garnett and several long term deals Bass & Lee along Green & Terry. They really can't anyway. There not gonna be able to move most of these deals without moving Melo, Bradley or Sullinger (obviously can't be traded now). It makes sense for them to at least play out this season.

They've won 3 straight and are only 5 games back of the 3rd seed with 4 teams ahead of them, no better than 6-4 in their last 10. Know ones exactly running away with things besides Miami & N.Y. As for the 1st round pick, I said it could be a pick this year or in the future. With Blair you know what you're getting, he has produced for the past 3 1/2 seasons in the NBA. They may take someone who may not be able to help them immediately anyway (like Melo). Blair gives them a legit PF to go along with Bass, without having to play Jeff Green or Pierce out off position.

cd021
02-01-2013, 10:57 PM
wtf is with all these threads man... every time any other team does any move, someone's gotta come up in here and make a thread about it in the spurs forum as if it's a team shifting move.

NBA forum exists for a reason: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208932

This is a little different than someone tinkering with Trade Machine on their lunch break and posting a ridiculous trade that they thing the spurs or some other team would actually accept.

Alright I have to ask but did you read anything that i wrote? You do realize I talk about Dejuan Blair several times in this article. He is actually the subject of this article, how is this not Spurs related exactly?

ffadicted
02-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Yes, and tbh thinking we can get a 1st rounder for blair is laughable. The celts don't want blair the trade makes no sense for them. They will be rebuilding soon, you don't bring a player with no ACLs in his worst season into a rebuilding future team

cd021
02-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Note to OP: The Celtics are in full blown rebuild/tank mode. There's no point in even making the playoffs right now. I see them trading away KG & Pierce by the trade deadline and trading Rondo in the off-season.

To quote Jimi Hendrix " You can see that, you must be looking the future of a thousand years" You are acting like there is some EASY button in which they can unload Pierce and get back a 1st rounder or a young talent.

Garnet can't be moved that easily with out having to trade someone like Bradley to justify some team trading for a 36 y.o with 2 years of guaranteed money and can't play more than 28 mpg in the regular season and 33 in the post season. Rondo being moved in the off season? He is on one of the best contracts in the league and is a top 5 guard. How exactly is that gonna help the C's rebuild? Know way all 3 are gone by next season. Maybe 1, Paul Pierce, but that's doubtful.

SpursIndonesia
02-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Expecting a first rounder might be too optimistic, but Blair + a Spurs 2nd rounder for TWO Celtics 2nd rounders (both unconditional), i think that just might work.

cd021
02-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Yes, and tbh thinking we can get a 1st rounder for blair is laughable. The celts don't want blair the trade makes no sense for them. They will be rebuilding soon, you don't bring a player with no ACLs in his worst season into a rebuilding future team

Blair is only 23 and has been healthy for most of his NBA career, its odd that you bring up the no ACL's considering it hasn't been a problem for the Spurs. He contrasts with the recent history of C's bigs, old and injury prone

Shaq
Jermaine O'neal (twice)
Chris Wilcox
Kendrick Perkins

Blair, even in his worst season, is still putting up comparable numbers to Sullinger and is a better rebounder. He has been buried in the spurs rotation after Duncan, Splitter, Diaw, & Jackson. Hickson was waived last season by the Kings, and has turned out be an excellent starter for the Blazers. One teams luxury is another teams necessity.

The Heat nearly traded Haslem & or a 1st rounder for Blair in the offseason. They turned out to be an even worse rebounding team than the Celtics. How exactly is it laughable to think that a player who has a history of being an excellent rebounder can't help a terrible rebounding team. I said it could be a conditional 1st round pick either this draft or anytime in the near future. That isn't a laughable at all. Why is everyone assuming they can just blow it up that easily, they don't have the spurs flexibility cap wise. They are better off making the playoffs.

cd021
02-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Expecting a first rounder might be too optimistic, but Blair + a Spurs 2nd rounder for TWO Celtics 2nd rounders (both unconditional), i think that just might work.

Maybe more realistic but the Celtics are in between a rock and a hard place...

SpursIndonesia
02-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Maybe more realistic but the Celtics are in between a rock and a hard place...

Yeah, i agree that if they don't want to blow it up right now, they might as well try to give the best punch they can and ride both Garnett & Pierce until the wheels fall off.

exstatic
02-02-2013, 12:16 AM
They don't want Blair. Sullinger was this draft's version OF Blair. Why would they want more damaged goods? Draft red flags are just that.

scanry
02-02-2013, 12:38 AM
To quote Jimi Hendrix " You can see that, you must be looking the future of a thousand years" You are acting like there is some EASY button in which they can unload Pierce and get back a 1st rounder or a young talent.

Garnet can't be moved that easily with out having to trade someone like Bradley to justify some team trading for a 36 y.o with 2 years of guaranteed money and can't play more than 28 mpg in the regular season and 33 in the post season. Rondo being moved in the off season? He is on one of the best contracts in the league and is a top 5 guard. How exactly is that gonna help the C's rebuild? Know way all 3 are gone by next season. Maybe 1, Paul Pierce, but that's doubtful.

Don't see Rondo sticking around for the rebuilding period. He's already been through once and i don't see him through another. Rondo to OKC would be perfect, Boston will get Westbrook and OKC will benefit big time. :wow

dunkman
02-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Now or never tbh . . .

Slutter McGee
02-02-2013, 11:09 AM
We ain't gonna get much for Blair. I am more curious about what overseas players teams have the rights to.

Slutter McGee

ThaBigFundamental21
02-02-2013, 11:26 AM
All right, please don't quote Jimmy Hendrix you dipshit.

Richie
02-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Not a horrible thread, all depends if the Celtics want to blow it up. If they want to try and make the playoffs, maybe they do this trade.

Doubt we would get much more than a 2nd rounder though, but a mid second rounder is better than nothing. We'd need to take a minimum player back though, so not sure it's worth the hassle. At least come playoff time we know who Blair is, what his role in this team is and what he can give us.

LarryDavid
02-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Blair for a dvd copy of "Celtic Pride"

This.

exstatic
02-02-2013, 04:16 PM
The Celtics don't have a trade exception or any cap room to accept his deal. I doubt we want to take out their trash for a player who knows less about our system than Blair. Unless there is a third team, I doubt we trade him to Boston.

If we trade Blair, I'm thinking it's a salary dump with nothing coming back in terms of players.

cd021
02-02-2013, 04:47 PM
All right, please don't quote Jimmy Hendrix you dipshit.

Hendrix is always relevant. Didn't expect that kind of response, douche.

venitian navigator
02-04-2013, 12:35 PM
The Celtics team has been builded for this year's play offs. All veterans for the last ride.
For doing so they've given 3 years contracts to Garnett and Terry.
With Rondo out for the season, their plan is dead, and now they know ther's no way they can win it all this season.
Next one will be already too late.
So I see them triyng to capitalize for what they can with Pierce and Garnett at the deadline...but maybe their best choice could be full rebuild and asking just for expiring contracts.
The Rondo/Westbrook trade has no chance this year (okc can't trade for an injured player), next summer could be a good idea.

The Clippers are offering Bledsoe and Butler for Garnett, but neither looks so enticing (Bledsoe plays Rondo's role, Butler is already aged).

If they really want to rebuild, they have to find a team willing to take the more bad contracts possible.
Considering age, the bad contracts are the veterans's three year's ones, and they are Garnett's one (but KG is still playing good) and Terry's one (who, till now, is playin really bad...).

For absurd, SA could be the only team with enough expirings or semi expirings to take them both.

A trade of KG + Terry for SJ (expiring), COJO (young, just 1 million and possible to cut), Blair (expiring), Bonner (only 1 million guaranteed next year) and Neal (expiring) works... but frankly it could be really weird to trade for maybe the two players that have been considered the most "spurs haters"...

Embedded
02-04-2013, 02:38 PM
I would keep Blair and his Spurs' corporate knowledge for the rest of this year, through the playoffs, and through the Finals, and give him his championship ring.

spurraider21
02-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Forget terry. At this point he's just a less efficient version of Neal

Holden_Caulfield
02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
blatche for blair! do it!

td4mvp2k
02-04-2013, 08:40 PM

:lol

cd021
02-04-2013, 10:54 PM
The Celtics team has been builded for this year's play offs. All veterans for the last ride.
For doing so they've given 3 years contracts to Garnett and Terry.
With Rondo out for the season, their plan is dead, and now they know ther's no way they can win it all this season.
Next one will be already too late.
So I see them triyng to capitalize for what they can with Pierce and Garnett at the deadline...but maybe their best choice could be full rebuild and asking just for expiring contracts.
The Rondo/Westbrook trade has no chance this year (okc can't trade for an injured player), next summer could be a good idea.

The Clippers are offering Bledsoe and Butler for Garnett, but neither looks so enticing (Bledsoe plays Rondo's role, Butler is already aged).

If they really want to rebuild, they have to find a team willing to take the more bad contracts possible.
Considering age, the bad contracts are the veterans's three year's ones, and they are Garnett's one (but KG is still playing good) and Terry's one (who, till now, is playin really bad...).

For absurd, SA could be the only team with enough expirings or semi expirings to take them both.

A trade of KG + Terry for SJ (expiring), COJO (young, just 1 million and possible to cut), Blair (expiring), Bonner (only 1 million guaranteed next year) and Neal (expiring) works... but frankly it could be really weird to trade for maybe the two players that have been considered the most "spurs haters"...

Clippers Get
Kevin Garnett
Courtney Lee

Boston Gets
Caron Butler
Eric Bledsoe
Lamar Odom
1st Round Pick

Butler is needed to help make the trade math work. Him and Bledsoe combine for $9.6 million next season to Garnett's $12 million. It is only small cap relief,i agree. Bledsoe is going to be a stud, if they were to throw in a 1st round pick I think the Celtics would have a hard time turning a deal like that down.

Adding Courtney Lee into the deal would save the Celtics alot of money ($16.25 Million) over the next 3 seasons. Lamar Odom would have to be included but he is an expiring $8 Million contract. The Celtics would save $18.65 Million over the next 3 seasons,acquire a high ceiling talent and another 1st rounder in the draft (giving them 4 1st round picks in 2 years)

Bledsoe is a combo but SG is his natural position, The only problem would be a lack of size in the back court with Rondo & Bledsoe only 6'2. Bradley would either have to play small forward in small lineups or become a 6th man for the forseeable feature (He could still play something like 25-27 minutes, like Hill did behind Parker & Manu)

The Spurs trade you suggested wouldn't work. The Celtics have 14 players and would be sending out 2 meaning that they would be over the 15 man roster.

cd021
02-04-2013, 10:55 PM

We missed the boat on that one.

cd021
02-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Forget terry. At this point he's just a less efficient version of Neal

That is a low blow, I'd still trust Terry late in games than Neal.

spurraider21
02-04-2013, 11:03 PM
That is a low blow, I'd still trust Terry late in games than Neal.

I really think Neal and Terry are about the same player at this point, Neal coming cheaper. I trust both to hit big shots tbh, but Neal has less of an attitude problem

Andthentherewas21
02-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Clippers Get
Kevin Garnett
Courtney Lee

Boston Gets
Caron Butler
Eric Bledsoe
Lamar Odom
1st Round Pick

Butler is needed to help make the trade math work. Him and Bledsoe combine for $9.6 million next season to Garnett's $12 million. It is only small cap relief,i agree. Bledsoe is going to be a stud, if they were to throw in a 1st round pick I think the Celtics would have a hard time turning a deal like that down.

Adding Courtney Lee into the deal would save the Celtics alot of money ($16.25 Million) over the next 3 seasons. Lamar Odom would have to be included but he is an expiring $8 Million contract. The Celtics would save $18.65 Million over the next 3 seasons,acquire a high ceiling talent and another 1st rounder in the draft (giving them 4 1st round picks in 2 years)

Bledsoe is a combo but SG is his natural position, The only problem would be a lack of size in the back court with Rondo & Bledsoe only 6'2. Bradley would either have to play small forward in small lineups or become a 6th man for the forseeable feature (He could still play something like 25-27 minutes, like Hill did behind Parker & Manu)

The Spurs trade you suggested wouldn't work. The Celtics have 14 players and would be sending out 2 meaning that they would be over the 15 man roster.

Well the Clippers deny the whole thing supposedly. http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-clippers-garnett-20130204,0,5007341.story

cd021
02-05-2013, 02:08 PM
I really think Neal and Terry are about the same player at this point, Neal coming cheaper. I trust both to hit big shots tbh, but Neal has less of an attitude problem

I didn't disagree with you, I just think Terry is a better closer. Neal late game heroics are a little exaggerated.

DesignatedT
02-16-2013, 09:31 PM
hmm

Chinook
02-16-2013, 09:46 PM
hmm

Y-yes?

KL2
02-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Would rather have Melo than Wilcox however Melo wouldn't be of use this season.

cd021
02-16-2013, 10:06 PM
On a pre All star weekend roundtable on NBA TV, a Celtic insider (beat writer) mentioned Dejuan Blair specifically. The question was about whether the Celtics were going to make a trade. He mentioned Blair as a way to tweek the roster.

cd021
02-16-2013, 10:09 PM

That ship has sailed. Blatche has been a surprise to say the least.

cd021
02-16-2013, 10:11 PM

Blu-Ray? You got your self a deal. Lol.

cd021
02-16-2013, 10:13 PM

Melo. But he will take up a roster spot along with CJ heading into next season. Having him on the roster means less room for changes in the off season.

Chinook
02-16-2013, 10:14 PM
hmm

Y-yes?

On a pre All star weekend roundtable on NBA TV, a Celtic insider (beat writer) mentioned Dejuan Blair specifically. The question was about whether the Celtics were going to make a trade. He mentioned Blair as a way to tweek the roster.

Thanks.

buttsR4rebounding
02-17-2013, 02:47 AM

Melo has some real upside although he is somewhat goofy. He recently sustained a concussion hitting his head on a door frame walking into a hotel room. But his play in the D-League has improved significantly. Ever since Fab Melo had a monster triple double against the Erie Bayhawks on December 22nd, where he logged 15 points, 16 rebounds, and 14 blocks, Melo has turned his D-League season around.
Prior to that game, Melo was averaging 7.1 points, 5.2 rebounds, and 2 blocks a game shooting 49% from the field.
After that game, Melo has been averaging 16.6 points, 8.1 rebounds, and 4.4 blocks, shooting 56% from the field. At a legit 7 feet w/ a 7' 3" wingspan he could develop into a real defensive presence. You can't sneeze at 14 blocks no matter what level you are playing at.

jesterbobman
02-17-2013, 03:03 AM
If we were to trade Blair to Boston, I'd try to ask to swap first round picks. Moving up 10 spots in the draft would be a good return for Blair. Obviously would need some protection(Lottery), in Which case it'd turn into a 2014 2nd. Blair might not be worth a 1st to other teams, but moving up from 30 to 20 normally costs about that, so we'd be getting that value.

BackHome
02-17-2013, 11:49 AM
I don't see the Celtics giving us anyone since they are so thin and they don't have a second round pick this year. I like the idea of trading places with them for the their first rounder which would probably be 14-19 pick this year.

I still think the Spurs need to look at moving Neal and SJ they could help us get a good backup PG and a younger more athletic SF..

cd021
02-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Great stuff. Any player you would compare him to?

hater
02-17-2013, 04:34 PM
so they lost a player to injuries and they proceed to get a replacement with no knees? mmm ok

DrunkTXLabrat
02-17-2013, 04:55 PM
if blair goes to boston it'd be part of a 3 way deal. the spurs need a young stretch 4. one who's fast enough to guard wings, and good at rebounds. closest the celts have is green, but that contract won't match.

td4mvp2k
02-17-2013, 09:58 PM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209639&page=3

cd021
02-18-2013, 01:00 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209639&page=3

Not sure why you posted that link. I didn't copy your info if thats what your implying. We both obviously have NBA TV.

cd021
02-18-2013, 01:06 PM
so they lost a player to injuries and they proceed to get a replacement with no knees? mmm ok

Didn't seem to mater much when he missed a small hand full of game in his 1st 3 seasons. Its clear that the NO ACLS are a non factor completely pointless to bring it up. Jeff Green had a heart condition so does Wilcox they are contributing on a playoff team like Blair is.

Kidd K
02-18-2013, 04:12 PM

More people would be inclined to post there if the typical posts and poster population there didn't suck as much as they do.

Anything remotely related to the Spurs will net a much better, and cleaner thread posted here than there. Makes sense to me why they would rather post here. The NBA Forum section is filled with trolls and massive ignorance.