PDA

View Full Version : Manu answers questions from fans

ElNono
02-02-2013, 01:39 AM
I just translated the NBA/Spurs related ones..

Q: Manu, with 36 years old, being part of the big three and being among the top SG in the NBA, are you thinking of extending your career a few more years?
A: On top of being old, you're adding more years? I'm still 35! Right now I would tell you that I'll play a couple more seasons, but I'll see at the end of the season.

Q: Will you play again in Italy?
A: I don't know. Hard to say, but I think I'm going to finish my career playing for the Spurs.

Q: To what do you attribute the many injuries in your career? Could you've done anything to prevent them (ie: strengthening certain muscles)?
A: Due to my style of play and my physical makeup I don't think I've had many injuries, and I think I took care of myself and still take a lot of care to avoid them. Nevertheless, it's relative, maybe you think they're many.

Q: Are you asked to do things in the court that you don't like to do?
A: Sometimes there's a few things you would do different, but it's not often. In general I agree with the coaching staff with the things I have to do.

Q: Have you guys ever shared a training session with the San Antonio Silver Stars girls?
A: No. We never crossed paths with the Silver Stars. Different training facility, season is in different months too.

Q: I wanted to know if Gregg Popovich made any comment about the criticism he received after the game where the Spurs stars didn't play, including you.
A: Yeah, he made a comment or two, but it stays in the locker room! lol

Q: When you retire from the NBA are you going to live back in Bahia?
A: I have no idea when I'm going to retire, or what I'm going to do then. I'll keep you posted.

Q: Have you thought being an assistant coach for the Spurs in the future?
A: I don't think being a basketball coach is in my future. I don't think it's my thing.

Q: What basketball shoes are you currently wearing to play?
A: I'm currently using Nike Lebron 9, they're real nice. But I think I'll try new ones soon.

Q: Do you like Whataburger in Texas?
A: I don't really eat hamburgers. If I'm in a hurry and I want something quick, I prefer a sandwich store.

Q: What's your opinion on James Harden?
A: Great player. A lot of talent, big competitor and super athlete.

Q: How do you explain your success in the NBA, if you take into account your position on the court, and the great amount and quality of US players? (with all due respect)
A: I've no idea. I guess just a good combination of skill, physical condition and mentality. Like most of the guys that make it and do well in the NBA.

Q: What do you think is the reason for the Lakers failure after the big expectations this season?
A: They've not been able to take advantage of all their weapons in harmony and for the benefit of the team. They still have time. They have a lot of talent.

Q: Gregg Popovich looks like a very serious person. How is it to be coached by him? Thanks.
A: A big pleasure. Besides being a great coach, he's an even better person. I've been very lucky.

Q: Hi Manu, how do you analyze Danny Green's performance drop and his lack of consistency? If he can't pick it up, does San Antonio has the personnel to make up for his numbers?
A: It's a long season. We all have up and downs. Danny is playing very well and he's very important to us.

Q: In every job there's some people that you get along better with and you create relationships that go beyond the job. In San Antonio: Who are the best friends? If you could give 3 or 4 examples...
A: This season we have an important number of foreign players and because of certain affinity and customs, we get together a lot to eat or do other things, most of all with Tiago, Patty and Boris.

Q: Within your former teammates in San Antonio, who were the ones you built a friendship with and spent good times with (Fabri Oberto I'm sure). Claxton? Bruce Bowen? (he looks to be an excellent person).
A: From former teammates, it's difficult to name only two. Obviously Fabri (Oberto) is in a different category because of all the experiences we had together for so many years, but I had great relationships with a lot of other guys, besides Tim and Tony. I could name Sean Marks, Rasho Nesterovic, Bruce, Michael Finley, Hedo Turkoglu, Brent Barry and I'm sure I'm missing many others. Luckily I had to share a team with great players and great people.

Q: Have you thought extending your contract with the Spurs or are you going to look for new horizons?
A: My intention is to stay with the Spurs. I think that's pretty clear. We'll see when the season ends what happens and what are the plans for the team.

Q: Hi Manu, I'd like to know which NBA player you would've liked to be your teammate. Kobe?
A: Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Bill Russell, I don't know… there were so many geniuses in the history of the NBA! Hard to pick one.

Q: Manu, with the arrival of Pancho Jasen to Bahia... do you think you might want to join them and make Bahía Estudiantes the national champions? It would be a big accomplishment for Bahia sports.
A: To be honest my idea is to play a couple more years here. We'll see what I do afterwards, but I'm sure Pepe and Pancho are two great friends and it would be great to share a team like we did in MDQ`11.

Q: If you could take any NBA player and make him an Argentina national, who would you pick?
A: It would have to be a young kid that can give us many years and a tall player too which is always our weakness. I would say Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis, Derrick Favors or somebody like that.

Q: Since you guys play almost every day, when do you guys train?
A: Almost never! We do train, but mostly the tactical part and we do a lot of shooting, but european-style training, never. There's just no time because when you don't train, you rest or rehab to be 100% physically.

Q: What's your ideal (5 players) NBA team?
A: Tony Parker (or Chris Paul), Kobe, Durant, Lebron and Duncan (or somebody tall, that can defend and grab boards). With that team I think I would do pretty good.

Q: Your ideal NBA team without US players?
A: All time or now? All time: Parker or Nash, Petrovic, Kukoc, Nowitzki and Sabonis.

Q: What's the best NBA team right now?
A: There's no ONE best team. I think there's a few that are playing well. Right now Thunder, Clipper, Grizzlies, Heat and us.

Q: If next season the Spurs don't want you back, for whatever reason... what team would you like to go to in the NBA?
A: The best team that calls me.

Q: Why didn't you put some weight like Kobe did? You would've been stronger and surely you wouldn't have had that many injuries, I think.
A: When did Kobe put weight? Since he started playing in the NBA? We all get a little heavier over time, when we grow older. I was 163 pounds when I was 18. Now I'm 198 pounds. I know I'm very light, but my body is like that, like Kobe's is what it is and Lebron's is what it is.

Q: Why are the other stars so blind to share the ball? Can they learn from you? Difficult question to answer, but I had to ask. You're the best!
A: Thanks for the compliment, but I don't think they're "so blind". For example, Lebron is one of the best passers in the league. Everybody has their virtues and defects, and if you think they're stars, undoubtedly they have more virtues than defects.

Q: Who is the funniest teammate on the Spurs? In the National Team?
A: On the Spurs, Patty Mills and Matt Bonner make me laugh a lot. On the National Team, we know each other so much, it's easier to laugh with everyone. Chapu, Yaca, Luifa, Cabeza, Pablo, all of them have something.

Q: How do you think you'll be remembered the day you retire from NBA basketball?
A: You know, I have no idea. The fact that somebody is going to remember you in the NBA when many years go by is an accomplishment in itself. I think it would be a big competitor above all, at least that's what they tell me more often...

Q: Manu, how did you get into the draft? What did you have to do?
A: I didn't do absolutely anything, and I had no expectations to enter. It was a complete surprise. Once you're 22, every player is eligible.

Q: Manu, which one is the rookie you've seen that you think might be a future NBA star?
A: Lillard is the one playing the best, but Anthony Davis will likely be very very good too.

original link (in spanish/italian): http://argentina.manuginobili.com/noticias/fans/respuestas-al-preguntale-a-manu-enero-2013/

freetiago
02-02-2013, 01:49 AM
Manus been injured so much that his brain has forgotten hes been injured so much

siraulo23
02-02-2013, 02:08 AM
:tu

justinandimcool
02-02-2013, 02:11 AM
Amazing, amazing read. It's crazy how candid and involved our players are as far as blogs, interviews, etc. Another reason we're such a lucky fanbase.

Thanks ElNono

Juggity
02-02-2013, 02:17 AM
Q: Hi Manu, I'd like to know which NBA player you would've liked to be your teammate. Kobe?
A: Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Bill Russell, I don't know… there were so many geniuses in the history of the NBA! Hard to pick one.

Manu bitchslapping that Kobe question as he should

chapnis
02-02-2013, 02:23 AM
He answers every question so well. No surprises about Patty and Matt being the team jokers.

Spursfanfromafar
02-02-2013, 03:10 AM
Thanks, El Nono.

I obviously love watching Manu Ginobili play on the court. But what makes him, my favorite, is his analytical thinking, candour and no nonsense style. A great Spurs superstar.

mrjap2x
02-02-2013, 03:34 AM
Who the f*** asked about that silver star question :O

"Q: If next season the Spurs don't want you back, for whatever reason... what team would you like to go to in the NBA?
A: The best team that calls me."

Another wtf question :nope

carina_gino20
02-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks, Nono. I'm glad to read of his intentions to continue playing for a couple more years or so. And loved that "best team who calls me" bit just in case anyone in the Spurs FO had any ideas. :lol

Brunodf
02-02-2013, 11:57 AM
:tu

Captivus
02-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Manu answers questions often. He answered a few that I made in the Argentinean forum.
I was the one that asked him (maybe 1-2 years ago) about the fact that he was getting bald. He said something like:
I play in the NBA and I am good looking, if I had hair that would be too much!

I really appreciate him taking the time to do this.
Gracias Manu!

hooperflash
02-02-2013, 01:23 PM
And loved that "best team who calls me"

Manu was just trying not to pull another Ed Reed, tbh. Lol

spurs10
02-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Thank you ElNono. Always enjoyable...Manu's is a class act!

wildbill2u
02-02-2013, 04:44 PM
When the years go by, we will look back and think, "My God, how lucky were we Spurs fans to have a big three like Tim, Tony and Manu for their entire careers. Tim and Manu are probably a lock for Hall of Fame and Parker should be in the conversation.

Beyond that, they are all 'fan friendly' stars and good citizens of our town. As great as he was Bill Russell was never 'fan friendly' and there are others that could be named.

timvp
02-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Great stuff. Glad that it sounds like he wants to stick around for a few more years.

ffadicted
02-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks Nono!

manu the best
02-02-2013, 04:55 PM
MANU IS GOD!!!! I love this guy.

romain.star
02-02-2013, 04:57 PM
My favorite spur

The guy will be missed when he retire

Mugen
02-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Mattys made me laugh a lot over the years as well.

Pauleta14
02-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Yes!! 2 more years!!! :toast:ihit:flag::lobt2:

TJastal
02-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Who the f*** asked about that silver star question :O

"Q: If next season the Spurs don't want you back, for whatever reason... what team would you like to go to in the NBA?
A: The best team that calls me."

Another wtf question :nope

:lol

I bet I know who asked this question...starts with a P and ends with a P.... :lol

[Q: Hi Manu, how do you analyze Danny Green's performance drop and his lack of consistency? If he can't pick it up, does San Antonio has the personnel to make up for his numbers?
A: It's a long season. We all have up and downs. Danny is playing very well and he's very important to us.

Fabbs
02-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Manu bitchslapping that Kobe question as he should
Yeah but then later on when asked to form his best team he included Kobitch.

TMTTRIO
02-04-2013, 12:15 AM
I know Manu wants to continue to play, but I think for Manu's sake it's time to call it quits and retire after this season. His body's already breaking down and there's no reason why he should play until he has nothing left. I can't even see him lasting one more season.

DPG21920
02-04-2013, 12:30 AM
:lol All the pushing him into retirement questions and the injury questions. Surprised he thinks he has not been injured much - that answer might be with an eye on this next contract and subsequent questions.

MI21
02-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Q: What's your ideal (5 players) NBA team?
A: Tony Parker (or Chris Paul), Kobe, Durant, Lebron and Duncan (or somebody tall, that can defend and grab boards). With that team I think I would do pretty good.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwXjPNt9SingPHOZEreJYXGiOJQbnmI 8iMnHjm20kzgz3TeyWM

MI21
02-04-2013, 12:32 AM
The more years we get to watch Manu the better, tbh.

benfti
02-04-2013, 12:45 AM
I know Manu wants to continue to play, but I think for Manu's sake it's time to call it quits and retire after this season. His body's already breaking down and there's no reason why he should play until he has nothing left. I can't even see him lasting one more season.

No, and also incorrect.

spurs10
02-04-2013, 02:17 AM
No, and also incorrect.

:toast

capek
02-04-2013, 02:27 AM

:lol It's not like this is the NFL, or boxing, where the players are risking traumatic brain injury every time they play. Worst case scenario is a guy like Manu having slightly worse arthritis than the population at large when he gets to a certain age.

He won't be able to carry the team like he has in the past, but that doesn't mean he can't be a damn good role player for a couple more season.

People calling for Manu to retire need to go buy a puppy or something, get themselves something other to mother than :pop: "Manu Ginobili."

lefty
02-04-2013, 02:34 AM
Q: If next season the Spurs don't want you back, for whatever reason... what team would you like to go to in the NBA?
/ (http://argentina.manuginobili.com/noticias/fans/respuestas-al-preguntale-a-manu-enero-2013/)

http://209.160.24.97/ds_img_direct.php?i=manustare.gif&t=8&d=1fjdcjav7c&x=360&y=480&l1=169&l2=61

superbigtime
02-04-2013, 11:27 AM
I love Manu's honesty and the insight into his philosophies. He never puts anyone down. He is truly inspirational and intelligent on and off the court. We are so lucky. Ole Manu!

Manufan909
02-05-2013, 04:54 AM
Manu is so damn awesome... that is all.