PDA

View Full Version : At least three teams are after McMillan

Kori Ellis
07-02-2005, 02:27 PM
At least three teams are after McMillan
ESPN.com news services

With at least the Portland Trail Blazers, New York Knicks and the Seattle SuperSonics in the running for the coaching services of Nate McMillan, Sonics CEO Wally Walker confirmed he gave McMillan a deadline of the middle of next week to make a decision on which team he wants to coach, The Tacoma News Tribune reported.

Contractually, McMillan was bound to the Sonics through Thursday at midnight.

"All I said to him was, 'If you want to get started earlier than Friday on this, that is OK,' " Walker told the paper. "It is in everybody's interest to move this thing ahead. But I said by next week we need to circle back to see where you are in the hopes that we can get something done between you and the Sonics. We are not talking to other candidates, we are not pursuing anything, we are not making up a list until you come back and we have that discussion."

Asked why the Sonics aren't lining up other candidates in case McMillan decides to leave, Walker said it was all out of deference to McMillan.

"Out of respect for [McMillan] and what he has done here," Walker told the paper. "We will have that discussion. At some point, and I do think that point is next week, we do need to move ahead on this front. And we have to decide on how close he is to making a decision at that point."

According to league sources, the paper reported that McMillan met with the Knicks on Friday. Another source indicated that McMillan will meet with the Blazers this weekend.

Pistons < Spurs
07-02-2005, 06:06 PM
And depending on LB, the Pistons will be looking at him aswell.

Trainwreck2100
07-02-2005, 06:28 PM
I say he'll go to the Knicks, Thomas is supid enough to overpay him.

ShoogarBear
07-02-2005, 06:46 PM
WTF? If the Sonics wanted McMillan, they could have done this a long time ago.

Sounds like they're trying to put up a front for the fans to cover themselves when he walks.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2005, 06:59 PM
The Sonics are handling this horribly. Could it be that they already have Sund-buddy Doug Collins penciled in for the job?

T Park
07-02-2005, 07:38 PM
If they do, the Sonics will be DEFINATELY back in the lottery next year.

A shame, they were shaping up to be a good opponent.

Who replaces them in that division??

Denver I assume.

In the playoffs??? Lakers.

Spursdaone
07-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Utah will make the playoffs next year.