PDA

View Full Version : Sign and Trade: Rasho for Shareef

texasqb2
07-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Dont know if this is old news or not, but it is being speculated on espn.com that we have offered the Blazers Rasho in a sign and trade for Shareef. I'd jump all over this for sure!

MajicMan
07-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Dont know if this is old news or not, but it is being speculated on espn.com that we have offered the Blazers Rasho in a sign and trade for Shareef. I'd jump all over this for sure!

And why would any team want Rash? Unrealistic pipe dream.

timvp
07-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Rasho for Shareef was in Chad Ford's article yesterday.

TheTruth
07-02-2005, 04:30 PM
well, if the Blazers are going to lose Reef anyway, why not try and get something back in return. A legit 7 ftr with proven defensive skills is something. Don't see it happening though.

texasqb2
07-02-2005, 04:31 PM
source? BULLSHIT

I dont post bullshit stuff bro.........

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&id=2098094&CMP=ILC-INHEAD

There's some thought that the team may make a run at Abdur-Rahim, offering Rasho Nesterovic to the Blazers in a sign-and-trade, but Abdur-Rahim (and the Blazers) might have better options elsewhere.

texasqb2
07-02-2005, 04:33 PM
well, if the Blazers are going to lose Reef anyway, why not try and get something back in return. A legit 7 ftr with proven defensive skills is something. Don't see it happening though.

Well its no secret that Shareef wants to be in SA, so the Blazers just have to ask themselves if they would want to take on Rasho at that salary (which is not bad) and they get a free center out of the deal. Shareef doesnt want to be a Blazer so if they do a sign and trade, they dont get to pick the team, Shareef does.

MajicMan
07-02-2005, 04:34 PM
I dont post bullshit stuff bro.........

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&id=2098094&CMP=ILC-INHEAD

There's some thought that the team may make a run at Abdur-Rahim, offering Rasho Nesterovic to the Blazers in a sign-and-trade, but Abdur-Rahim (and the Blazers) might have better options elsewhere.

The idea is bullshit. Rash is garbage. That's like the Lakers saying I'll give you Devon George for Manu.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Meh trade for both sides. Neither side has a tremendous need for player the player each would get. SAR would be nice if Horry wasn't in the picture, but I sure hope that isn't the case.

texasqb2
07-02-2005, 04:36 PM
way to post the wrong part of the articles for us non-insiders...can u just copy and paste that part into this forum? Thanks

Do you just want the Spurs stuff?

Players they might lose: Devin Brown (R), Robert Horry, Glenn Robinson

Players they might pursue: Luis Scola, Shareef Abdur-Rahim

Current cap position: $54.8 million ($5.3 million over the cap)

Analysis: The Spurs want to re-sign free agents Brown and Horry but their No. 1 priority this summer is finding a way to get Scola, a 2002 second-round draft pick, on the team.

Scola is considered the best young power forward in Europe and will command much more cash than most second-round picks. The Spurs will have to dig deep into the mid-level exception to bring him over. Expect him to settle for a minimum of $2.5 to $3 million starting salary.

That really limits what else they can do in free agency. There's some thought that the team may make a run at Abdur-Rahim, offering Rasho Nesterovic to the Blazers in a sign-and-trade, but Abdur-Rahim (and the Blazers) might have better options elsewhere.

texasqb2
07-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Meh trade for both sides. Neither side has a tremendous need for player the player each would get. SAR would be nice if Horry wasn't in the picture, but I sure hope that isn't the case.

you're crazy, Shareef is a great player......I'd take him over Horry anyday

TheTruth
07-02-2005, 04:37 PM
gotta post a link, or everyone is going to call bullshit.

T Park
07-02-2005, 04:39 PM
you're crazy, Shareef is a great player......I'd take him over Horry anyday

You would be more crazy.

Did you watch the playoffs??

Tell me when Shareef even does half of what Horry does, in the REGULAR season.

Nesterovic for Rahim?? Sure,

but not at the expense of Scola and horry.

strangeweather
07-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Tell me when Shareef even does half of what Horry does, in the REGULAR season.

Well, Shareef has career averages of 19.9 points and 8.2 rebounds. I don't remember Horry having any 40/16 seasons lately.

Nesterovic for Rahim?? Sure,

but not at the expense of Scola and horry.

That's the part I'm not comfortable with either. Scola and Horry can coexist just fine, because Horry doesn't need a ton of minutes in the regular season, so as soon as Scola earns them, he can play them.

Shareef would definitely want a good chunk of somebody's minutes, and I'm not sure whose minutes they are. I suppose they could be Devin Brown's, but Shareef complained about playing SF in Portland. If it means we don't bring back Horry and/or don't bring in Scola, I'm not sure he's an improvement.

MannyIsGod
07-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Name me one winning team Shareef has averaged that for and whlie you're at it count off the number or game winning shots he's ever made. When you're done, tell me why we would even need a guy to score 19.whatever a game when Duncan and Manu are already the first 2 options on this team.

In other words, Fuck SAR.

Gummi
07-02-2005, 05:55 PM
It would be nice to get Shareef, but I think that the Spurs wouldn't be very interested in Shareef if they would get Scola. Both are PF and both players need some playing time. Shareef isn't comming here to play 15 minutes a night. He might want to play here, but not at the expense of playing 15 minutes a night. There are other teams out there that will offer him a starting spot and good money to.

The Spurs need to focus on Scola, Horry, Brown, and then add some players to fill the roster (Marks, Johnson etc.). Build a great TEAM with players that want to perform for this franchise. No need for trades and more trades IMO.

Gino2882
07-02-2005, 06:35 PM
I dont see SAR as a big option. Who plays backup Center? and what if Nazr walks next season? Scola nor SAR can play center.

SirChaz
07-02-2005, 06:40 PM
SAR wants to start someplace I'd bet.

I don't see how that happens in San Antonio as long as Duncan is playing the 4.

strangeweather
07-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Name me one winning team Shareef has averaged that for and whlie you're at it count off the number or game winning shots he's ever made. When you're done, tell me why we would even need a guy to score 19.whatever a game when Duncan and Manu are already the first 2 options on this team.

Shareef seems like a decent guy, and for most of his career he's wanted to go to a winning team with a good organization. Hopefully he'll find one this season, and then he can start contributing to a playoff team.

The fact that he probably wouldn't add much to this team isn't the same thing as saying that he sucks. T-Mac wouldn't be a good addition to this team, because he and Ginobili do similar things. That doesn't mean that T-Mac is a worthless player or that Devin Brown is better than T-Mac.

Gino2882
07-02-2005, 06:47 PM
I was just looking at SAR's numbers. 87% from the free throw line and 39% from 3.

Still he just have a spot here, unless Pop plans on rotating Duncan, Nazr, Scola, SAR.

MannyIsGod
07-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Shareef seems like a decent guy, and for most of his career he's wanted to go to a winning team with a good organization. Hopefully he'll find one this season, and then he can start contributing to a playoff team.

The fact that he probably wouldn't add much to this team isn't the same thing as saying that he sucks. T-Mac wouldn't be a good addition to this team, because he and Ginobili do similar things. That doesn't mean that T-Mac is a worthless player or that Devin Brown is better than T-Mac.
I don't know Shareef personally and nor do I care too. Whether he sucks is debatable. Half the people in the NBA are capable of scoring at that rate given an offense around them.

What I do know is that he's never been a winner. He's had free agent opporunities in the past and hasn't gone to places where he can win, he's gotten paid. Hey, there's nothing wrong with that but when you're a perinial loser don't expect anyone to label you a winner.

He may be an overall better talent than Robert Horry, but Horry's intangibles are much more valuable to this team than a better all around athlete.

bigzak25
07-02-2005, 07:10 PM
if this would clear cap space for the spurs, i.e., if reef had like one year left on contract, i'd be concerned....but since this only happens as a sign and trade?

i doubt Pop would trade down in size and put team chemistry in question. i think, apparently many do, that reef is overrated and there's gotta be something wrong with his heart. he wouldn't be jumping around the league like he has if he was all that.

just scola and a respectable run at horry. i like dev and def. want to what LJ3 can bring, but if the coaches know already and are willing to shop around...that's cool.

the spurs will prob just unload rasho for an expiring contract in midseason, depending on scola and nazr's progress.

scott
07-02-2005, 07:11 PM

We would be trading them Rasho, not a legit 7 footer with proven defensive skills.

T Park
07-02-2005, 07:24 PM
not a legit 7 footer with proven defensive skills.

except for Nesterovic is a 7 footer with defensive skills.

Unless, Popovich is wrong about him.

constantstate
07-02-2005, 07:31 PM
if they cant bring over scola this year... getting sar for rasho wouldnt be a bad move. sar is very horry-like. he could take most of the regular season mins that horry doesnt want, and be a very good offensive option if duncan has to sit out some games. get a guy like mutombo for depth at the center spot.

nazr/mutombo
duncan/sar/horry

ive read on here that next year scola's contract is up, so we wont have to buy it out at 2mil etc. sar would still have a ton of trade value and maybe a ring.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Word is this idea is being floated by Rahim's agent. SAR wants to come get a ring in SA, and his agent is trying to earn his paycheck.

Doesn't mean it's reciprocal.

Duncan05
07-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Shareef is a very good player, but I dont think that he would fit in with the Spurs team. Also he comes at a bigger expense than Scola and Horry combined. So i Disagree with that trade.

strangeweather
07-03-2005, 12:05 PM
they would be incredibly stupid to strade Shareef for Rasho

Shareef is an unrestricted free agent, so the Blazers will be lucky to get anything at all for him. Without a sign and trade, Shareef probably just signs for the midlevel somewhere.

There are a couple of non-Spurs sign-and-trade rumors floating around as well.

rascal
07-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Make the trade SAR for Rasho. I'd even throw in Scola. Scola could end up being a bust in the nba. SAR is a proven nba worthy starter.

Scola hasn't even played a game in the nba and already many here are expecting him to be a strong starting nba player.

CalsonicKansei
07-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Well, Shareef has career averages of 19.9 points and 8.2 rebounds. I don't remember Horry having any 40/16 seasons lately.

That's the part I'm not comfortable with either. Scola and Horry can coexist just fine, because Horry doesn't need a ton of minutes in the regular season, so as soon as Scola earns them, he can play them.

Shareef would definitely want a good chunk of somebody's minutes, and I'm not sure whose minutes they are. I suppose they could be Devin Brown's, but Shareef complained about playing SF in Portland. If it means we don't bring back Horry and/or don't bring in Scola, I'm not sure he's an improvement.

Glenn Robinson a.k.a big dog had career averages of 20 points a game and above, I figure we can get rid of Robinson then sign someone like SAR. I think letting Robinson go will put us under the cap. plus I think SAR wants to win some games and not lose. Robinson was good back then but he is very questionable this time around. The main thing is letting Robinson go to put us under the salary cap in my opinion. We could definitly use some of his 12.1 million salary for us.

Karl Mundt
07-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Glenn Robinson a.k.a big dog had career averages of 20 points a game and above, I figure we can get rid of Robinson then sign someone like SAR. I think letting Robinson go will put us under the cap. plus I think SAR wants to win some games and not lose. Robinson was good back then but he is very questionable this time around. The main thing is letting Robinson go to put us under the salary cap in my opinion. We could definitly use some of his 12.1 million salary for us.

Robinson was playing for the minimum, the Spurs would be over the cap anyway. If the Spurs did the sign and trade, they would be without a back-up center and three back up PFs: SAR, Horry and Scola. Portland might actually take Rasho if they weren't gonna end up with anything anyway, but SAR would have to narrow down the list of the teams he would sign for dramatically if they were to choose the Spurs offer (i'm sure they have others to consider). And if SAR would really consider the Spurs that seriously, he would probably be looking at some sort of guarantee that he will get significant playing time. The only way that happens is if Horry or Scola (or both) are not here next year. I definitely prefer the five man rotation as it seems now, with Tim, Horry, Scola, Nazr and Rasho.

Boulevard1
07-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Shareef for Jerome Kersey :smokin

batman2883
07-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Shareef for Rasho would be a great trade, Rasho is just wasting the Spurs money riding the bench anyways. I do however have to agree with other people and say that it wouldnt be worth it at the expense of Robert Horry, no one actually comes up bigger than Horry at clutch moments.

spursfaninla
07-03-2005, 08:30 PM
As far as rotations go;

center: duncan, nazr, horry
pf: SAR, Scola, Horry

is better than

nazr, rasho, horry

duncan, scola, horry

Which is what it comes down to in terms of minutes.

You may say that Horry and SAR don't fit cap wise, which is another issue; if thats the case, perhaps we are better off with what we have now.

Spurs košarka kultura
07-04-2005, 04:09 AM
This talk of Horry/Rasho/Scola is ludicrous why would you want to trade any of these guys for a player who HAS NEVER PLAYED IN A SINGLE PLAYOFF GAME, EVER!!!
Granted Scola hasn't either but he does have a gold medal and thats more the SAR can say. Shit i'd rather have Spree. ( I know, I know they don't play the same position, I'm just making my point.) Fuck SAR!

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Vince + SAR = dynasty.

Gino2882
07-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Vince + SAR = dynasty.

Vince + SAR = problem

texasqb2
07-04-2005, 01:07 PM
You guys are crazy, well most of you. Shareef is a wonderful talent and is a solid player. He shoots at a high percentage, he rebounds well, hes a big body. Some of you are saying he would be too expensive, the only way he'll make decent money is if we do the sign and trade and deal Rasho. Some of you are saying why would the Blazers want Rasho? Well if Shareef says he doesnt want to come back to Portland, they can lose him without getting anyone in return. So if the Spurs wanna offer Mike Wilks for him and Shareef will only play for SA, Portland has to take the deal or just lose him without getting anything in return. A lot of teams would love to have Rasho at like 6 million.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Some of you are saying why would the Blazers want Rasho?I ask that because they have much the same player in Pryzbilla.
Shareef is a wonderful talent and is a solid player. He shoots at a high percentage, he rebounds well, hes a big body.Given all that, where would he fit on a team that is planning on splitting minutes between Duncan, Horry and Scola at the 4?

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 01:17 PM
There is no doubt that SAR would fit in well offensively in SA. My concerns are on the defensive end as well as his size. SAR has always been on the low end when it came to size for a 4 in this league. This is important for the Spurs. TD would have to commit to defending the opposing center on a nightly basis. If you don't project SAR in the starting lineup then how are minutes going to be split between him and Horry? The only way SAR makes sense is if the Spurs lose Horry and he's the primary backup big behind TD and Nazr. Otherwise, there aren't too many minutes available, unless you think that SAR could steal some minutes at the 3.

To me, you could sign a Glenn Robinson or Kukoc or someone for a lot less and who actually better fills one of your few 'needs'.

Then again, to Holt Cat, perhaps you can shave off some savings in the budget by signing SAR to a MLE level contract and shipping out Radoslav...

constantstate
07-04-2005, 01:40 PM
well rasho sure isnt going to play the 3. if you're going to extend nazr... a guy that you already went with in favor of rasho in the playoffs... then rasho gets cut out of the rotation entirely again (no matter who you bring in)

duncan already plays the 5 for long stretches. so a guy like sars can at least come in and play long 4's, guys like wallace, kg, dirk etc... if big dogg can come in and block 3 shots in 6mins in a playoff game... sars can buy into the "defense first" thing too? anyway, horry's size doesnt get in the way, and he already does that for the spurs.

i would think that sar's would take some scoring pressure off of td, and take horry's mins in the regular season. (at least in the first half of the season) and be another scorer in case td had to sit out any time during the regular season too. (rest or injury) *knock wood*

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Sure, but Big Dog was at the 3 spot. Having SAR getting heavy minutes at the 4 would be a step down defensively from what the Spurs have now and that includes Radosoft.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 01:45 PM
if you're going to extend nazr.Are you?

constantstate
07-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Sure, but Big Dog was at the 3 spot. Having SAR getting heavy minutes at the 4 would be a step down defensively from what the Spurs have now and that includes Radosoft.
i agree, but its not like no one was worried about big dog's speed or anything too? or about horry guarding rasheed in the post? i think sars could fill in, and also be another scoring threat off the bench, when someone puts in players like mc"i'vegotmykneeson"d'ice

constantstate
07-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Are you?
i'm just saying if they do. its either that or decide to go with a player that they didnt seem to have any confidence in, in the playoffs last year? but maybe it was the injury? who knows?

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 01:51 PM
i'm just saying if they do.That's a big if at this point.

constantstate
07-04-2005, 01:53 PM
That's a big if at this point.
would you?

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 01:53 PM
would you?Depends on the price.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 01:54 PM
i agree, but its not like no one was worried about big dog's speed or anything too? or about horry guarding rasheed in the post? i think sars could fill in, and also be another scoring threat off the bench, when someone puts in players like mc"i'vegotmykneeson"d'ice

Yes, it would be nice for the Spurs to have some scorers off the bench. I'm of the view that it would be better for that scorer to be at the backup 3 spot and for the 4/5 rotation to be more sound defensively. Horry or SAR makes sense in the 4/5 rotation, not both.

ambchang
07-04-2005, 01:55 PM
I am not sure if SAR will be a good fit with the Spurs. He is a crafty low post scorer, minimal defense, decent passer and rebounder.
While the Spurs play best with agile shooting big man around Duncan (see Horry vs. Nazr).
A player like Donyell Marshall, or somebody in the Tom Gugliotta ilk will be best (but then, Googs is like 45 years old and retired, but players similar to him).
Raef Lafrantz, Divacs, Brad Miller will all be fits on offense, but I don't see them being quick enough to cover on the defensive end .... well, seems like Marshall is the only one, but then there is no way the Spurs can afford him.

constantstate
07-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Yes, it would be nice for the Spurs to have some scorers off the bench. I'm of the view that it would be better for that scorer to be at the backup 3 spot and for the 4/5 rotation to be more sound defensively. Horry or SAR makes sense in the 4/5 rotation, not both.
hey i want a backup 3 thats long and fast and doesnt shoot... just defends. and a vet backup point. (either to take over as backup or to have as a 3rd point guard) but the question was how sars would fit. horry doesnt like to play the first half of the season, and besides you'd like to save his legs and not have to do what we did this last year with him maybe? (the same with bowen) cause they're both gonna be a year older.