PDA

View Full Version : 5-on-5: Best deals for top trade targets (Spurs mentioned twice)

lurker23
02-04-2013, 06:59 PM
ESPN did a roundtable discussing the best deals to be had for five of the top NBA trade targets (Garnett, Gasol, Josh Smith, Redick, and Pierce). The Spurs were mentioned twice, but the entire article can be found here:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-130204/nba-best-deals-top-trade-targets

Jack Winter, WarriorsWorld: Garnett and Melo to the Spurs for Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw. Leonard is one of the league's true blue-chip prospects, a great athlete with elite defensive potential. Splitter has value, too. A small-picture view like this is against the Spurs' very fabric as an organization, but Garnett and Tim Duncan on the same front line? If there was ever a reason to swing for the fences, this might be it.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aqnfhwg

Harris: J.J. Redick and Hedo Turkoglu to Spurs for Stephen Jackson, Matt Bonner and Patty Mills. Orlando basically moves ahead one year in its rebuilding by turning Hedo's two-year, $11 million deal into Jackson's expiring $10 million deal. The Spurs would bite the bullet on Hedo's contract in order to gain the stellar Redick, who gives them yet another proficient shooter and defender.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b6xwy9g

-----------

As a Spurs fan, I'm not sure I'd do either trade. Not a huge fan of bringing in Garnett, largely for personality reasons, and definitely not a fan of giving up Kawhi and/or Tiago to do it.

The Redick trade is a little more tempting, but a horrible deal financially, especially considering Hedo's contract for next year. It would also probably push the Spurs into the luxury tax for this season, something I imagine the Spurs don't want to do unless it's a slam dunk trade. While Redick would be nice off the bench, and obviously Hedo knows at least some of the system, I'm not sure the trade really addresses a need the Spurs have at the moment. (Top 2 off the top of my head: backup big (if Baynes doesn't contribute this season) and solid backup PG.)

BatManu20
02-04-2013, 07:04 PM
I saw this earlier and paid it no mind because of how dumb it is. Along with the other outrageous potential trades they were coming up with. Both of these trades would be horrible and will never happen, period.

SanDiegoSpursFan
02-04-2013, 07:07 PM
I'd say no to both. Garnett isn't worth giving up 2 starters and our 1st big off the bench for, and the Orlando trade brings in too much money to be worth it. Also I don't really want Hedo back here.

freetiago
02-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Hedo will never wear a Spurs jersey again but if it was possible to get Reddick i would make some deal
i dont like green as a starter
hes been proven to be an inconsistent shooter whos defense relies on confidence from making shots

Jalen Rose the other day suggested a Jackson+Splitter for Garnett swap
i would do that one in a heartbeat tbh

5e67AvcxHrU

Cry Havoc
02-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Redick a proficient defender is absolutely hilarious. Dude couldn't guard an unused postage stamp.

Cry Havoc
02-04-2013, 07:11 PM

Yes, I mean, why WOULDN'T we want to put Duncan on the court with a guy he can't stand? :rolleyes

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2013, 07:15 PM
I'd love to have KG on the Spurs, but there's no way I'd do it for Leonard and Splitter, that's just ridiculous:lol..

Redick would be a nice fit, but I'd vomit if I had to see Turkoglu in a Spurs jersey again..

playblair
02-04-2013, 07:17 PM
horrible trades ........... but never say never scott layden is the spurs assistant gm ...........

freetiago
02-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Yes, I mean, why WOULDN'T we want to put Duncan on the court with a guy he can't stand? :rolleyes

:lobt2:

and btw reddick is a high iq player
he can easily fit into the team concept of san antonios defense
and its not really possible to be a worse defender then danny green at getting through screens
if your a SG in SA you need to be able to defend screens/run guys of the 3 point/contest mid range shots which reddick can do

i dont like this stat but it actually proves that danny is worse since hes the starter on an elite defensive team

Danny Green opposing SG per for 48 minutes = 15.5
Reddick = 14.3

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-04-2013, 07:20 PM
There are few guys out there worth moving Leonard for and at this stage I don't think Garnett's one of them, to mention nothing of the fact that he could be the one guy in the entire league that Tim Duncan might object to.

And while Jackson is looking used up this season the idea of trading him for Hedo would send this board into full blown meltdown mode. Simply the amount of lol threads that would be started downstairs in response to the freakouts over such a trade would be enough to crash a server.

EVAY
02-04-2013, 07:20 PM

This is where I come out on this. Garnett absolutely does not fit with Spurs' mentality. He seems emotionally unstable half the time, and we don't need another geriatric case. Keep Splitter. Check out Baynes. If Garnett wants to come here for Jackson, the mental cases would probably cancel each other out.

But really, it makes no sense.

MI21
02-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Redick a proficient defender is absolutely hilarious. Dude couldn't guard an unused postage stamp.

Reddick is a decent defender these days. People assume he can't defend because he is unathletic and white, tbh.

That said, both of these deals disgust me and the Spurs wouldn't do either.

td4mvp21
02-04-2013, 07:31 PM
These trades are so fucking shitty. Leonard AND Splitter (and Diaw, who has a no-trade clause - he'd veto this one) for Garnett and a prospect? And as someone mentioned, SJAX for Hedo? :lol :lol :lol

spurraider21
02-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Leonard AND Splitter for KG? lmao. melo is a cool prospect but definitely not the kicker needed to make that trade happen. we'd either have to start Green as SF again or start Jax, neither option seems appealing.

And the second deal is just lulz. I don't want Turkoglu anywhere near the Spurs. Dude was a bum when we signed him last time, and he has an intolerable contract. We dumped RJ for Jax to clear cap room, lets not bring in Turkoglu, essentially undoing that trade.

The only one I would go for is the KG for Jax and Tiago... but even that one isn't a slam dunk. The Tim-KG "love affair" has been well cited. That aside, its really pushing our chips all in, giving up the future (both in a player like Tiago and potential cap room) for KG's last legs. It would certainly boost our titles chances for this year and next, though. I would say ownership is likely hesitant to pick up KG's remaining years, but its not as if Tiago is going to come cheap, anyway.

That lineup of Parker, Manu, Kawhi, KG, and Timmy sure does have me salivating, though.

letmk
02-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Not only the proposed trade involving Spurs, many of the trades they propose are just out of rational basketball mind. It shows how out-of-touch those so-called experts are with the real business.

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2013, 07:38 PM
If Tim would be cool with a KG trade, I'd give up Splitter-Jackson for him, despite the fact that I'm a huge Splitter fan..

Garnett is still an elite defensive player, he's a great passer and he still had an automatic mid-range J..his lack of post game and clutch scoring would be a moot point on this Spurs team..also, we wouldn't have to worry about KG performing in the playoffs, while Splitter is still a question mark in the playoffs, tbh..

BlackSilver
02-04-2013, 07:41 PM
These trades boggle the mind so much more than anything cooked up on ST.

letmk
02-04-2013, 07:48 PM
If Tim would be cool with a KG trade, I'd give up Splitter-Jackson for him, despite the fact that I'm a huge Splitter fan..

Garnett is still an elite defensive player, he's a great passer and he still had an automatic mid-range J..his lack of post game and clutch scoring would be a moot point on this Spurs team..also, we wouldn't have to worry about KG performing in the playoffs, while Splitter is still a question mark in the playoffs, tbh..

If this trades goes through and everybody is healthy, I would put 50% on Spurs, and 50% on the field. But with the history, KG's non-trade clause and Spurs' management's conservative approach, the chance of its happening is slim to none.

Warlord23
02-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Leonard + Splitter + Diaw > KG, and it isn't close. I would argue that Splitter's game is improving at a rapid enough rate that he is now a great fit in the Spurs frontcourt. Also, losing Leonard severely hampers the ability to defend elite wing players (Durant, Kobe, Harden) in the West or even if the Spurs made the Finals (LBJ, Carmelo) by some miracle.

elemento
02-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Horrible and clueless traded tbh

Old KG is not worth Leonard and Splitter

And lol @ Hedo

ontheraise
02-04-2013, 08:02 PM
ROFL!!!!!!

phxspurfan
02-04-2013, 08:04 PM
worst trade ideas ever. True Marshmallow Fluff. Very ESPN

timvp
02-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Hell no to Splitter and Kawhi for KG. Splitter for KG I'd probably agree to ... I think. KG probably gives the Spurs a better chance to win this year and his contract better fits with the long-term plan of the franchise than whatever Splitter will sign in the offseason. But I'm not 100% sold I'd do it; I'd have to take a closer look at KG to see if he fell of a cliff this season (glancing at his stats, it kinda looks like he did).

As for the other trade ... it's not a horrible idea but it just isn't that compelling from San Antonio's angle. Redick is the best player in the trade but the Spurs have a ton of smallish shooting guards. Absorbing Hedo's $12M contract for next year isn't worth the upgrade you'd get going from Neal to Redick.

TDMVPDPOY
02-04-2013, 08:09 PM
the trade for hedo makes alot of sense....we got alot of guys who like to perform the disappearing act that he would fit right in

spurraider21
02-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Hell no to Splitter and Kawhi for KG. Splitter for KG I'd probably agree to ... I think. KG probably gives the Spurs a better chance to win this year and his contract better fits with the long-term plan of the franchise than whatever Splitter will sign in the offseason. But I'm not 100% sold I'd do it; I'd have to take a closer look at KG to see if he fell of a cliff this season (glancing at his stats, it kinda looks like he did).

As for the other trade ... it's not a horrible idea but it just isn't that compelling from San Antonio's angle. Redick is the best player in the trade but the Spurs have a ton of smallish shooting guards. Absorbing Hedo's $12M contract for next year isn't worth the upgrade you'd get going from Neal to Redick.

taking on hedo's contract for jax's is essentially undoing the RJ trade... banking on redick to be a huge difference maker. no way

Expert
02-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Melo? lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Both stupid trade ideas IMHO.

If we could find a way to swap Neal for Reddick, that would be great, but the rest is garbage.

Russ
02-04-2013, 08:18 PM
ESPN did a roundtable discussing the best deals to be had for five of the top NBA trade targets (Garnett, Gasol, Josh Smith, Redick, and Pierce). The Spurs were mentioned twice, but the entire article can be found here:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-130204/nba-best-deals-top-trade-targets

Jack Winter, WarriorsWorld: Garnett and Melo to the Spurs for Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw. Leonard is one of the league's true blue-chip prospects, a great athlete with elite defensive potential. Splitter has value, too. A dumb-ass trade like this is against the Spurs' very fabric as an organization, . . .

Fixed it.

Ice009
02-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Delete the Hedo trade. I don't even want to read it. Who knows what I would do if either of those trades go down.

All I can say is, both trades must be made up by Spurs haters.

Paranoid Pop
02-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Splitter for KG I'd probably agree to ... I think.

Lol at it being a hard decision.

KG probably gives the Spurs a better chance to win this year and his contract better fits with the long-term plan of the franchise than whatever Splitter will sign in the offseason. But I'm not 100% sold I'd do it; I'd have to take a closer look at KG to see if he fell of a cliff this season (glancing at his stats, it kinda looks like he did).

So where's Green for you, better or worse than both? But I wouldn't take back Hedo for Reddick and that's coming from a Green skeptic.

xellos88330
02-04-2013, 08:26 PM
ESPN is trying so hard to make the Spurs look desperate and in serious need of help. If only they would pay more attention to the team at the top of the standings. Granted... seeding doesn't matter and winning the west won't be any easier, but having that record with injuries to both small forwards, Manu, Duncan and at the same time only having 3 bigs in the rotation is more than noteworthy.

PingPong
02-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Wow! Two old men, two unskilled rookies and the legendary turd towers. What a frontcourt, Spurs.

:lol

Paranoid Pop
02-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Wow! Two old men, two unskilled rookies and the legendary turd towers. What a frontcourt, Spurs.

Garnett, Duncan, Baynes would be an incredibly tough frontcourt, two proven playoffs performers and defensive anchors plus a strong rebounder who can pulls his own weight and shoot a jumper for a soft big who got hacked last year and is gonna be overpaid this summer, yeah not really a hard choice.

Splitter so skilled he got hacked and has absolutely no way to make a basket besides the layup :lol.

Paranoid Pop
02-04-2013, 08:47 PM
ESPN is trying so hard to make the Spurs look desperate and in serious need of help. If only they would pay more attention to the team at the top of the standings. Granted... seeding doesn't matter and winning the west won't be any easier, but having that record with injuries to both small forwards, Manu, Duncan and at the same time only having 3 bigs in the rotation is more than noteworthy.

Well we were desperate, that's why the FO finally pulled their fingers out of their asses and took a gamble/opportunity by trading GHill. I'm not sure we still aren't. We got better but are we good enough, still seems like a long shot.

The last team led by a PG had an awesome defensive frontcourt let's not forget...

PingPong
02-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Garnett, Duncan, Baynes would be an incredibly tough frontcourt, two proven playoffs performers and defensive anchors plus a strong rebounder who can pulls his own weight and shoot a jumper for a soft big who got hacked last year and is gonna be overpaid this summer, yeah not really a hard choice.

Splitter so skilled he got hacked and has absolutely no way to make a basket besides the layup :lol.

And Fab Melo, he's dominant. ...in d-league!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0aPhku-v_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy6OemhtCC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tqhgbSUkmM

Two old men, two scrubs from shitty dleague and the legendary turd towers.

:lol:lol

TD 21
02-04-2013, 08:59 PM
I realize it's not going to happen, but the only way I could see the Spurs even giving strong consideration to Garnett for Splitter-Jackon, is if two things happened. 1) They were given some level of assurance that Garnett intends to play at least another season, if not two and if they were at least fairly confident he could physically hold up. 2) They were confident they could find a legit replacement (not just a body, but someone established, with good size, who's at least got a shot at adequately defending Durant/James) for Jackson.

Even then, as tempting as it would be and as much as I'd love to see a Duncan-Garnett front court, this wouldn't be as easy a decision as it may appear at first blush. His rejuvenated performance post All-Star break last season is still fresh in people's mind, but this season he's fallen further than in '09-10, when he played a good portion of that season with his knee not quite right. He simply cannot play big minutes anymore and can't be relied on for any semblance of consistency scoring/rebounding wise.

Bong
02-04-2013, 09:00 PM
fist time poster but been a spurs fan for 17 years!!!

trade option #1: no no and no, splitter is a very good player especially this year his defense, offense improved greatly and a good passing big his +/- are high (on the + side of course), kawhi - if we trade him we would we would have a problem on guarding NBA all star SG, and SF in the likes of lebron, wade, durant and other.

trade option #2: probably a good deal, but both players from magic have a big problem in defense not like captain jack he could guard the nba best, if we need to trade jack i hope we could get a deal like paul george or harrison harnes both are athletic SF and a good defender IMO that could back up kawhi

Paranoid Pop
02-04-2013, 09:06 PM
I realize it's not going to happen, but the only way I could see the Spurs even giving strong consideration to Garnett for Splitter-Jackon, is if two things happened. 1) They were given some level of assurance that Garnett intends to play at least another season, if not two and if they were at least fairly confident he could physically hold up. 2) They were confident they could find a legit replacement (not just a body, but someone established, with good size, who's at least got a shot at adequately defending Durant/James) for Jackson.

Even then, as tempting as it would be and as much as I'd love to see a Duncan-Garnett front court, this wouldn't be as easy a decision as it may appear at first blush. His rejuvenated performance post All-Star break last season is still fresh in people's mind, but this season he's fallen further than in '09-10, when he played a good portion of that season with his knee not quite right. He simply cannot play big minutes anymore and can't be relied on for any semblance of consistency scoring/rebounding wise.

Boris can play some 3, he can backup KY for 12 min in the playoffs, but then again Pop would most likely go micro with Green at the 3.........

Cry Havoc
02-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Reddick is a decent defender these days. People assume he can't defend because he is unathletic and white, tbh.

That said, both of these deals disgust me and the Spurs wouldn't do either.

He's really not. People don't attack him as often because the Magic's defense is abysmal so they have no reason to single out a bad defender on that team when they're all a sieve. Can you name even one guy on the team who's average at defense?

On a team like the Spurs, he would get completely exploited. He's a slightly taller, less athletic version of Gary Neal. Plus, dude is getting an MRI on his shoulder, could be out for a while. He would be even WORSE because he would have to learn our system and doesn't have the physical gifts to make up for missed assignments.

:lobt2:

Oh, okay, so Garnett and Tim are just going to put aside the fact that they hate each other. :lol

and btw reddick is a high iq player
he can easily fit into the team concept of san antonios defense

No one easily fits into this defense. Least of all not undersized (6'4", but 19:lol pounds)

and its not really possible to be a worse defender then danny green at getting through screens

:lmao Because screens are the only thing that matters on defense.
:lmao Because I know several players who don't even attempt to get through screens.

if your a SG in SA you need to be able to defend screens/run guys of the 3 point/contest mid range shots which reddick can do

Clearly you've never watched him play.

i dont like this stat but it actually proves that danny is worse since hes the starter on an elite defensive team

Danny Green opposing SG per for 48 minutes = 15.5
Reddick = 14.3

Oh, okay. I was under the impression that it took more than one stat to prove anything.

3 point % this season:

Redick - 39.9%
Green - 40.6%

I guess we should keep Green since this "proves" he's a better shooter. :lol :lol

SpursIndonesia
02-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Splitter + Jax for KG, all things considered, 100% approved (by me). And i'm a BIG KG hater out there. :D

superbigtime
02-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Are these guys even watching Spurs games? Of course not. They have no CLUE how valuable Diaw, Splitter, and Kawhi are. Jax is a different story, but for Hedo?? Niggle, please.

letmk
02-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Are these guys even watching Spurs games? Of course not. They have no CLUE how valuable Diaw, Splitter, and Kawhi are. Jax is a different story, but for Hedo?? Niggle, please.

Especially Kawhi. With the Heat and OKC as the favorite, the Spurs may stand a 10% chance?

Without Tim or Tony, Spurs are obviously out of contention, zero chance. But without Kawhi (and no suitable replacement), Spurs would still be able to compete on some level, but the chance also dips to 1%.

10% and 1% are not meant to be accurate, but you get the point.

freetiago
02-04-2013, 09:37 PM
a lot of bads in one post
no one actually even knows how much tim hates garnett if he even does anymore tbh
whatever happened between them was rumored to have happened in 1999, those 2 geezers probably dont even remember what happened between them by now
and yes san antonios schemes are run in most teams that have defensive bigs
considering that the magics coach is a former spur and they run spurs sets i would say yes he could
defending players around screens is probably the #1 most important thing for a SG
he doesnt have to protect the rim and really he could let his man blow by him like all the other guards on the team do since Tim is there

JJ Redicks 3 point percentage with Jameer Nelson and Vucevic creating contested 3s for him = 40% and he does it consistently
Danny Green with 3 hall of famers and the best ever at his position creating wide 3s for him = all or nothing inconsistent 41%
in the past 5 games alone jj redick had a 29 point game (better then danny career high) and he had a 31 point game (10-17 including 8-11 from 3 which also shits on danny career high)
and the month of january hes putting up 18/3/3.6 on 50/47/88%
i seriously doubt danny will ever sniff those numbers in his career for even a 2 week stretch

also considering the magic are ranked 30th on most power rankings and 26th defensively
danny green having a worst defensive PER for a supposed defensive specialist on the 4th ranked defensive team compared to the guy who cant guard a postage on the 4th worst defensive team is the real :rollin

and if the spurs did get JJ Redick it would allow Manu to be inserted into the starting lineup
Redick has improved a lot on his assisting this year
hes at 23% while manu is at 26%

Big P
02-04-2013, 09:44 PM
lol...these "trades" were on a espn roundtable?? :wow....better trades have been made up here...:lol

Brunodf
02-04-2013, 09:45 PM
:lmao Hell no

Bill_Brasky
02-04-2013, 09:49 PM
I'd love to have KG on the Spurs, but there's no way I'd do it for Leonard and Splitter, that's just ridiculous:lol..

Redick would be a nice fit, but I'd vomit if I had to see Turkoglu in a Spurs jersey again..

Basically how I feel....I'd love to have Redick starting over Green, but I'm definitely NOT down with losing Jackson AND having to eat Turkey's contract.

objective
02-04-2013, 10:11 PM

fwiw Hedo's contract only has $6M guaranteed for next year. It's actually why I don't think Orlando would do the deal.

All Orlando would get is 6 million in savings . . . I think they could do better for Redick.

As for the Spurs, Redick would be a lot better than Green. But he's a free agent this summer. Even buying out Hedo would put the Spurs in too bad a position to re-sign Redick, Splitter and Manu. Can't see it happening. Maybe if Manu told the Spurs behind the scenes that he had decided to retire, then sure.

If the Magic would take back Green, maybe things become manageable. Maybe as a back-up he's useful at his salary, and there are Spur connections there.

MI21
02-04-2013, 10:11 PM
He's really not. People don't attack him as often because the Magic's defense is abysmal so they have no reason to single out a bad defender on that team when they're all a sieve. Can you name even one guy on the team who's average at defense?

On a team like the Spurs, he would get completely exploited. He's a slightly taller, less athletic version of Gary Neal.

I don't know what to say to you but Redick is a fine fundamental defender. Andre Iguodala he is not but he isn't Gary Neal either. I think you may be stuck in past opinions when he was a really bad defender. Sure, you aren't going to ask him to shutdown Dwyane Wade or Kobe Bryant in a playoff game, but he is far better than you are giving him credit for. For the record, I don't care for the trade but I just wanted to point out this incorrect analysis of Redick's game.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21612936/report-celtics-shopping-for-jj-redick

he Celtics are quite familiar with Redick from the Celtics-Magic playoff battles of years past, where Redick not only burned them with his 3-point gunnery but his surprisingly good defense. He's quite honestly the best defender of Ray Allen and Celtics screenbuster that I've seen in the league.

He fits a lot of what the Celtics want to do, adding a willing shooter with a little bit of handle who can stretch the floor and defend.

http://nba.si.com/2013/02/04/jj-redick-nate-robinson-under-the-radar/

Beyond that, Redick does a terrific job of staying in front of his man on defense and uses his hands to control driving lanes and stay within contesting range. He doesn’t have the speed to stick with every mark, but his footwork is tight enough to deny favorable angles to more dangerous opponents. He’s also proved to be an effective funnel for a team with a quality shot blocker in the past, making him that much more valuable to a potential suitor should the Magic look to trade him as rumored.

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/225751/Redick_Continuing_To_Improve_As_He_Morphs_Into_Orl andos_Veteran

His improvements have been noticed and are greatly appreciated by Jacque Vaughn, his first-year head coach.

“He's been great,” Vaughn said. “His ability not only to shoot the basketball but create opportunities for other guys on the floor. His ability to pass the ball and defensively he's done a great job of being in the right place. He's been a leader for us. Everyday he's had a professional approach to him. He's helped our young guys tremendously.”

Seventyniner
02-04-2013, 10:41 PM
A question about KG's no-trade clause: does it stay intact if he approves a trade? That is, if a team (like the Spurs) trades for him, can they trade him again to a third team during the offseason without his consent?

freetiago
02-04-2013, 10:52 PM
A question about KG's no-trade clause: does it stay intact if he approves a trade? That is, if a team (like the Spurs) trades for him, can they trade him again to a third team during the offseason without his consent?

no trade clauses doesnt mean a player is immune to a trade
if he chooses to waive his clause then he can be traded
the player will only waive his clause if he gets to go where he wants to go

i cant really think of a situation though where franchise type players who get the clause have ever really used it

and the above critique of redicks defense fits perfectly with the spurs defensive philosophy
a) Force basline into help (Tim)
b) No corner 3s allowed
c) force long 2s
d) protect the paint on pick and rolls

Spursfanfromafar
02-04-2013, 10:56 PM
There's no way the Spurs surrender Kawhi unless it is a no brainer. And getting KG is no longer a no-brainer.

mercos
02-05-2013, 12:10 AM
I wouldn't take either deal. The Spurs don't need help up front at this point. I'm perfectly fine going into the playoffs with a front line of Duncan-Splitter with Diaw coming off the bench. Bonner can play a couple of minutes here or there as needed. There are no dominant front lines out there to worry about anymore. The Spurs biggest priority should be to try and get healthy come playoff time. They were so close last year, I see no reason to change things up right now.

mute
02-05-2013, 01:48 AM
I wouldn't even trade Kwahi for KG straight up... much less for KL + Tiago... do these guys even watch basketball? Why in the world would the Spurs trade away 3 key rotational players...

spurs1990
02-05-2013, 02:48 AM
JJ would flourish in the Spurs system. I've been advocating for him since he came into the league. Fits the franchise to a tee.

eric365
02-05-2013, 04:51 AM
Garnett is one of four players in the NBA (Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki) with a no-trade clause.

That's why no one is talking about sending him to the Bobcats
Going to the spurs when they lost Ray Allen and now Rondo for the year could be something KG agree with

Mal
02-05-2013, 05:18 AM
No and fuck no

Mal
02-05-2013, 05:29 AM
Spurs need to trade for big men, who could take some attention, boost TV ratings. I truly believe that biased refs could stop Spurs from getting into finals. Only OKC with refs can stop them. Probably Stern wants another Durant - LeBron finals. His beloved Knicks and Lakers are out of the picture.

Miami is another story, and they are good enough to win it all, without help of refs.

Garnett wont bring it all attention, and Spurs wouldnt be able to limit Durant, by trading too guys who can guard him for a guy who cant.

BatManu20
02-05-2013, 05:29 AM
The Celtics are 4-0 since Rondo's been out with the ACL. They were 0-6 in their last 6 games with him. If thy start to turn it around, the Celtics won't be trading anybody, so the point is moot as of right now. Plus, KG is one loyal dude and won't leave Bean town unless he knows for sure they don't have a shot.

hater
02-05-2013, 05:39 AM
Lol no way garnet and duncan play together. They archvillians, it just dont happeen

Not to mention garnett old shitbag is way overrated these days

Raven
02-05-2013, 05:47 AM
so we didn't sign him for this season when we could for free and now we trade three key players ... sounds legit.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-05-2013, 05:56 AM
so we didn't sign him for this season when we could for free and now we trade three key players ... sounds legit.

eh? who?

Mal
02-05-2013, 06:00 AM

You arent talking about Garnett, are you ?

iManu
02-05-2013, 06:38 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a75l33q

This would provide an answer for the Celtics rebounding woes while also providing instant offense and giving them more flexibility going forward.

Mal
02-05-2013, 06:54 AM
This would provide an answer for the Celtics rebounding woes while also providing instant offense and giving them more flexibility going forward.

But Celtics didnt show any intention on blowing this team up, and going into rebuild mode. They are 4-0 since Rondo being out, playing good basketball.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-05-2013, 06:58 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a75l33q

This trade is ridiculous, all teams bar Spurs say fuck no. It doesn't resolve Boston's rebounding at all and it certainly doesn't give them more flexibility.

TJastal
02-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Hedo will never wear a Spurs jersey again but if it was possible to get Reddick i would make some deal
i dont like green as a starter
hes been proven to be an inconsistent shooter whos defense relies on confidence from making shots

5e67AvcxHrU

Garnett is pretty much done, his glory days ended back in '08. The spurs would be lucky if he made it to the end of the season without rupturing something.

And Reddick plays no where near the defense Green does. Thank god you are not running this team.

Mel_13
02-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Garnett has a no trade clause. He's not waiving that clause to come to San Antonio and be the 4th banana. Those that say that Duncan's feelings about KG are fictional or ancient history didn't read that long interview he gave to SI last May.

And Hedo back to the Spurs? That's about as likely as GS calling and asking for Jack back.

freetiago
02-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Garnett is pretty much done, his glory days ended back in '08. The spurs would be lucky if he made it to the end of the season without rupturing something.

And Reddick plays no where near the defense Green does. Thank god you are not running this team.

The celtics were the #1 defensive team last year, largely in part to their pick and roll defense
KG is about the only player in the nba who has the skillset of being able to defend the pick and roll and hit the mid range shot
Al Horford, Gasol and Duncan are the only 3 other players but neither Gasol/Duncan are as mobile and Horford isnt as good

and Green is overrated
i would give him another season after last years choke to see how he handled himself
and hes still the same inconsistent player whos regressed defensively and confidence relies on his shotmaking
and Garnett averaged 19/10 in the playoffs last year
far from done

MaNu4Tres
02-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Apparently KG would only opt out if Pierce gets traded and if he's going to LA. Add that to Duncan's dislike for KG and its obvious it ain't ever going to happen.

In all honesty, I think I have a better chance knocking up Minka Kelly within the next month, tbh.

letmk
02-05-2013, 01:03 PM

Whether the chance of trade for Garnett is 10% or 1%, let's put it aside for now. But what you are saying is largely irrelevant.

Signing free agent is a two-way street. When Garnett signed to go back to Celtics, the ceiling of the Celtics was as high as, if not higher, that of the Spurs. Now that changes dramatically. Even though the Heat and Thunder are still favorites, but nobody would be surprised if the Spurs win it all. But it would surprise the whole world if the Celtics win the champion this season.

TD 21
02-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Boris can play some 3, he can backup KY for 12 min in the playoffs, but then again Pop would most likely go micro with Green at the 3.........

As we've discussed in the past, I don't believe Diaw can consistently play SF, but even if he could, that would mean Bonner or Blair would be firmly entrenched in the rotation again.

Paranoid Pop
02-05-2013, 11:55 PM
As we've discussed in the past, I don't believe Diaw can consistently play SF, but even if he could, that would mean Bonner or Blair would be firmly entrenched in the rotation again.

Meh that would be up to :pop: but that could open up some minutes for Baynes, we could use the rebounding boost.

TheCerebral1
02-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Jack Winter, WarriorsWorld: Garnett and Melo to the Spurs for Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw. Leonard is one of the league's true blue-chip prospects, a great athlete with elite defensive potential. Splitter has value, too. A small-picture view like this is against the Spurs' very fabric as an organization, but Garnett and Tim Duncan on the same front line? If there was ever a reason to swing for the fences, this might be it.
Awful in every sense of the word. Giving up Splitter and Leonard for an almost done Garnett does not make any sense to me. Also, fuck Garnett. I cannot stand him as a player. Melo will not ever really be more than a shot blocker.

Paranoid Pop
02-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Awful in every sense of the word. Giving up Splitter and Leonard for an almost done Garnett does not make any sense to me. Also, fuck Garnett. I cannot stand him as a player. Melo will not ever really be more than a shot blocker.

I wouldnt give up Boris who could backup Sjax at the 3 but I would listen to any offer that brings us Garnett, inxluding ones that involve KY.

I think Pierce has to come as well if we deal KY tbh, we go full tosb but with the best tosb out there.