PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Whos the Coach of the Year so far?

whitemamba
02-04-2013, 07:48 PM
1.Tom Thibodeau
2. Mark Jackson
3.Popovich
4. Frank Vogel

no particular order, but those are my nominees.

discuss.

JamStone
02-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Mark Jackson by a lot

StrengthAndHonor
02-04-2013, 08:10 PM
I'd say Tim considering the Bulls are hanging that high without Rose. Everyone thought they'll be fighting for an 8th seed. But Jackson will get it. No one thought that young Warriors team would be this good.

AussieFanKurt
02-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Mark Jackson by a country mile

SpursIndonesia
02-04-2013, 08:15 PM
1.Tom Thibodeau
2. Mark Jackson
3.Popovich
4. Frank Vogel

no particular order, but those are my nominees.

discuss.

Great list, i think Tom Thibodeaux has to work harder with less, but he has won before (right ?) and Jackson has done great things making the Dub a legit black horse in the west, so it's Jackson's to lose right now.

Expert
02-04-2013, 08:15 PM
The Warriors came out of nowhere. Jackson has to get that nod.

Richie
02-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Probably Jackson, but Thibs showing what an elite coach he is keeping the Bulls in contention (although he's riding his stars really hard)

whitemamba
02-04-2013, 08:40 PM
warriors had some hype prior to the season though, mark jackson as well

StrengthAndHonor
02-04-2013, 08:42 PM
My thing with the Warriors is they're a team playing great offensively, sure. Once in a while you have a team like them where everyone seems to be just playing great offensively even without a solid structure. And this translates to a lot of excitement and wins. But they don't really have a solid foundation. They'll run, score threes and ISO Jarrett Jack. Thats pretty much Warriors basketball.

The Bulls under Thibs are playing organized basketball. Their defense is a trademark and I think this is where Thibs brilliance actually reflects on his players. They're a pretty bad offensive team without Rose, thats understandable but in spite of this, they have a real identity and that's to stop a team on their tracks.

IMO, its harder to sell a defensive game plan to a bunch of guys as opposed to offense. This is how you can see a coach is truly making a mark on his team. Thibodeau has successfully implemented this mindset on the Bulls roster. Just look at the type of players getting major minutes for them.

Nate Robinson
Bellinelli
Boozer
Jimmy Butler

The catalysts are Deng and Noah. You can include Kirk here but really he's overrated defensively. Taj is ok but it stops there.

Imagine that lineup ranking 3rd in Defensive rating and 4th in Opponent points per game. That's remarkable tbh.

Jackson will get it not because he's the better coach than Thibs. He will win it because the Warriors are a much more exciting team this season.

racm
02-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Thibs should be considered tbh but Mark Jackson wins it.

Phil Jackson and Jerry Sloan have one COY between the two of them.

racm
02-04-2013, 08:44 PM
My thing with the Warriors is they're a team playing great offensively, sure. Once in a while you have a team like them where everyone seems to be just playing great offensively even without a solid structure. And this translates to a lot of excitement and wins. But they don't really have a game plan. They'll run, score threes and ISO Jarrett Jack. Thats pretty much Warriors basketball.

The Bulls under Thibs are playing organized basketball. Their defense is a trademark and I think this is where Thibs brilliance actually reflects on his players. They're a pretty bad offensive team without Rose, thats understandable but in spite of this, they have a real identity and that's to stop a team on their tracks.

IMO, its harder to sell a defensive foundation to a bunch of guys as opposed to offense. This is how you can see a coach is truly making a mark his team. Thibodeau has successfully implemented this mindset on the Bulls roster. Just look at the type of players getting major minutes for them.

Nate Robinson
Bellinelli
Boozer
Jimmy Butler

The catalysts are Deng and Noah. You can include Kirk here but really he's overrated defensively. Taj is ok but it stops there.

Imagine that lineup ranking 3rd in Defensive rating and 4th in Opponent points per game. That's remarkable tbh.

Jackson will get it not because he's the better coach than Thibs. He will win it because the Warriors are a much more exciting team this season.

Son they run the horns set to death tbh, they don't have Pop's intricate offense or Thibs' defensive gameplanning but they've been effective even with relatively simple sets.

jjktkk
02-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Good list. I would give the nod to Thibs. Pretty impressive what his squad has done without Rose.

timvp
02-04-2013, 08:46 PM
It looked like Jacque Vaughn was going along the Doc Rivers career path and was going to win it ............ and then the bottom fell out. But, yeah, Mark Jackson will coast to it now.

StrengthAndHonor
02-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Teams like the Warriors are easy to figure out. They're a successful regular season team. But come playoff time. None of their offensive sets will be successful against organized basketball squad. They can probably make some noise in the playoffs if they have some veteran presence like the Baron Davis/Stephen Jackson squad. But this team is a first round exit regardless of which seed they end up with.

racm
02-04-2013, 08:51 PM
It looked like Jacque Vaughn was going along the Doc Rivers career path and was going to win it ............ and then the bottom fell out. But, yeah, Mark Jackson will coast to it now.

Especially since it typically goes to teams that exceed expectations. Before the season everyone had GS as a fringe playoff team but they effectively wrested second in the Pacific from the Lakers.

GSW 2011-12 23-43 .348
GSW 2012-13 30-17 .638

The Spurs' last season were the outlier but IIRC they were slated to finish 5th in the West. Chicago went from a .500 team to 1st in the East. OKC went from bottom-dweller to 50 wins.

SpursIndonesia
02-04-2013, 09:03 PM
My thing with the Warriors is they're a team playing great offensively, sure. Once in a while you have a team like them where everyone seems to be just playing great offensively even without a solid structure. And this translates to a lot of excitement and wins. But they don't really have a solid foundation. They'll run, score threes and ISO Jarrett Jack. Thats pretty much Warriors basketball.

IMO, its harder to sell a defensive game plan to a bunch of guys as opposed to offense. This is how you can see a coach is truly making a mark on his team. Thibodeau has successfully implemented this mindset on the Bulls roster. Just look at the type of players getting major minutes for them.

Nate Robinson
Bellinelli
Boozer
Jimmy Butler

No arguing here, but this :

Phil Jackson and Jerry Sloan have one COY between the two of them.

COTY thropy is very democratic IMHO, gotta spread the love around.

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Thibodeau rides his players as much as any coach in the NBA, but he does have an elite system that transcends the status of his players, tbh..he's already established as a very good and proven coach, which typically kills chances at this shitty award, tbh..

Mark Jackson is an average coach, but he's a lock to win it..all he has done is change a culture that was established by a senile Don Nelson(and the few years of post-Nelson recovery) and decided the Warriors should start playing a little defense, tbh..

Latarian Milton
02-04-2013, 09:07 PM
pop has always been underrated when it comes to the consideration of coach of the year due to the fact spurs being a perennial contender imho. replace him with any of the names above as the spurs coach and the spurs would be a marginal playoff team and first round fodder, knowing the fact that spurs don't have much quality outside of the dead corpse of tim duncan. pop surely deserves some credit for making the most out of those trashes tbh

SpursIndonesia
02-04-2013, 09:16 PM
pop has always been underrated when it comes to the consideration of coach of the year due to the fact spurs being a perennial contender imho. replace him with any of the names above as the spurs coach and the spurs would be a marginal playoff team and first round fodder, knowing the fact that spurs don't have much quality outside of the dead corpse of tim duncan. pop surely deserves some credit for making the most out of those trashes tbh

Pop's great for installing the system and discipline (ofcourse, having THREE HOF'ers who were ALL coachable help tremendously) some years ago, but nowadays, i think any half decent coach can comes in and still maintain the Spurs greatness, simply because he just has to keep on humming along with the already established team as constructed. No TD and Manu, no problem, coach Budenholzer still went 5-0.

Cry Havoc
02-04-2013, 09:16 PM

So it means less when they win because they're running a system that you don't see as potentially successful? How many titles do the Bulls have since Phil left town? Yeah, ok, so their system hasn't gone anywhere either. They haven't even made it out of the East yet.

A win is a win is a win. The Warriors are playing at an elite (or near elite level right now), and that's with injuries to some pretty important guys. The Bulls are there too but they are 1) playing in the East and 2) they've been good for a while.

Nate Robinson
Bellinelli
Boozer
Jimmy Butler

Good points, but the bottom line is wins, and the Warriors have been winning in a tougher conference without one of their best defensive players, maybe THE best in Bogut.

The Bulls are also at the absolute bottom of the NBA in scoring. 4th worst in the East, and they would be tied for 2nd worst in the West. Pace matters. The Bulls are also playing in a soft conference and have the 5th easiest schedule in the NBA to date.

Dex
02-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Mark Jackson, if for no other reason than he chose a profession that doesn't make me listen to his "hands down, man down" bullshit.

UZER
02-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Bernie Bickerstaff

mercos
02-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Mark Jackson. Thibs is doing a great job, but he's in the East.

StrengthAndHonor
02-04-2013, 11:46 PM
So it means less when they win because they're running a system that you don't see as potentially successful? How many titles do the Bulls have since Phil left town? Yeah, ok, so their system hasn't gone anywhere either. They haven't even made it out of the East yet..

I can't conceive the idea of comparing that Jordan led Bulls to any Bulls or any team at all. That's a horrible example tbh.

A win is a win is a win. The Warriors are playing at an elite (or near elite level right now), and that's with injuries to some pretty important guys. The Bulls are there too but they are 1) playing in the East and 2) they've been good for a while. ..

I'm not downplaying the Warriors success. I just think Thibs as a "coach" is doing a far better coaching than Jackson. The Warriors players however are a better talent than the Bulls roster, so its no coincidence that they're playing a little bit better.

The Bulls are also at the absolute bottom of the NBA in scoring. 4th worst in the East, and they would be tied for 2nd worst in the West. Pace matters. The Bulls are also playing in a soft conference and have the 5th easiest schedule in the NBA to date.

Given the situation, Thibodeau is doing more with less talent. I value this because it shows his ability as a coach and that was my bottom line.

Can you imagine the Warriors under Thibs? They'll probably a better team. Can you imagine the Bulls under Mark Jackson? I do, lottery in the East. They have contrasting styles but the beauty of Thibodeau's system is he knows how to make his team work. It's no surprise that under him, Boston played their best defense and won a title the same year.

ElNono
02-04-2013, 11:55 PM
It really is Pop (no homer)...

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Strong case for Mike Brown, tbh.

Expert
02-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Pop's great for installing the system and discipline (ofcourse, having THREE HOF'ers who were ALL coachable help tremendously) some years ago, but nowadays, i think any half decent coach can comes in and still maintain the Spurs greatness, simply because he just has to keep on humming along with the already established team as constructed. No TD and Manu, no problem, coach Budenholzer still went 5-0.

It's not like Pop acquired via lopsided trade three HOFers. He built them from ashes of the late pics, all save one, built them up did he.

Arcadian
02-05-2013, 12:38 AM
I can never understand how people rank the best coaches in the league...what are you basing that on? Unless you actually attend practices and understand the systems they run, you really have no idea what you're talking about. And besides, great coaching alone has never won anything. Coaches need players to win games. So it's really difficult (if not impossible) to decipher who the best coaches are, much less to rank them in a particular order. It's just arbitrary.

Pop is a case in point. We can't even agree among Spurs fans whether Pop is a good coach or not. Obviously most of us think he is, but there's always a few who dissent and say he's not really great, he's just lucky to have great players, etc... Now, I'm not saying those people are right - but technically, you can't prove them wrong, either. So both positions are basically unfalsifiable.

SpursIndonesia
02-05-2013, 12:59 AM
It's not like Pop acquired via lopsided trade three HOFers. He built them from ashes of the late pics, all save one, built them up did he.

Yep, he certainly did, mate. :toast

Though he really didn't want to draft TP back then, and thinking of trading him that summer 2003. Thx God for RC Bufford stubborness (sp). :lol

ElNono
02-05-2013, 01:07 AM
Pop has his own faults, especially falling in love with certain questionable talent, and his adjustments (or lack of) during playoff series can be debated.

But in a league where you see teams that used to be elite not that long ago become bottom feeders, the fact that he's still maximizing what his old declining stars give him, and still sustaining an unbelievable winning percentage year after year is pretty amazing. And the team keeps doing most of the upgrades through the draft.

This is a regular season award, and frankly, I think Pop is definitely tops there. Not that Mark Jackson or Thibodeau are not worthy.

Mal
02-05-2013, 01:39 AM
For me D`Anthony. He`s helping Lakers to hang under.500, and it means a lot for me.

whitemamba
02-05-2013, 01:50 AM
For me D`Anthony. He`s helping Lakers to hang under.500, and it means a lot for me.

:lol

Jodelo
02-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Chris Paul!

Cry Havoc
02-05-2013, 04:07 PM
I can't conceive the idea of comparing that Jordan led Bulls to any Bulls or any team at all. That's a horrible example tbh.

You said the Bulls system of coaching was more effective. It hasn't given them a championship, and it's the CotY award, not Coach of the Decade. The Warriors were a ~.350 team last year.

I'm not downplaying the Warriors success. I just think Thibs as a "coach" is doing a far better coaching than Jackson. The Warriors players however are a better talent than the Bulls roster, so its no coincidence that they're playing a little bit better.

They're also playing in a MUCH tougher conference.

Given the situation, Thibodeau is doing more with less talent. I value this because it shows his ability as a coach and that was my bottom line.

Can you imagine the Warriors under Thibs? They'll probably a better team. Can you imagine the Bulls under Mark Jackson? I do, lottery in the East. They have contrasting styles but the beauty of Thibodeau's system is he knows how to make his team work. It's no surprise that under him, Boston played their best defense and won a title the same year.

Maybe, maybe not. Predicting exactly how a coach will do with any given team is pretty unrealistic. Larry Brown struggled with teams and he was a great coach. Regardless, the Warriors improvement this year is amazing, especially without their best post defender.

hater
02-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Tibo???

the guy who kept Rose in garbage minutes when his leg exploded?

SupremeGuy
02-05-2013, 05:45 PM

Phil Jackson and Jerry Sloan have one COY between the two of them.Most overrated coach in the history of sports, tbh.

fevertrees
02-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Monty Williams

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Tom Thibodeau is an overrated coach who's never winning jack shit the way he runs his starters into the ground

jeebus
02-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Thibodeau is a fantastic coach. What he does with his players is genius; I never would've thought playing players 46+ mins a night, every night, then acting shocked when the players all get injured at the end of the year.

DPG21920
02-05-2013, 07:10 PM
I don't get why people are knocking Thibs for playing his players a ton. MIA does it and OKC too and they were both healthy and in the finals..

whitemamba
04-10-2013, 11:18 PM
bump

season is about over

who is COTY ??

MarioSpeedwagon
04-13-2013, 05:35 AM
bump

season is about over

who is COTY ??
D'Antoni