PDA

View Full Version : CIA rendition: more than a quarter of countries 'offered covert support'

ElNono
02-05-2013, 04:02 AM
Report finds at least 54 countries co-operated with global kidnap, detention and torture operation mounted after 9/11 attacks

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/05/cia-rendition-countries-covert-support

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 04:04 AM
How much of that was because or extradition treaties? Are those numbers excluded?

ChumpDumper
02-05-2013, 04:06 AM
How much of that was because or extradition treaties?Off the top of my head, I'm going to say zero.

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 04:07 AM
Did you know the US has extradition treaties with 108 countries?

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 04:08 AM
Off the top of my head, I'm going to say zero.

I recall that several were. that was many years back though.

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 04:10 AM
Besides, a treaty is not required to hand a criminal over to another government that claims a legal right to them.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2013, 04:17 AM
They call it extraordinary rendition for a reason.
Besides, a treaty is not required to hand a criminal over to another government that claims a legal right to them.Way to undermine your own implied position. :tu

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 04:27 AM
They call it extraordinary rendition for a reason.Way to undermine your own implied position. :tu
If you say so. I think you don't understand where I was going, so your statement has no merit.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2013, 04:28 AM
If you say so. I think you don't understand where I was going, so your statement has no merit.I think you never actually know what you are talking about, so nothing you say ever has any merit.

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 04:35 AM
I think you never actually know what you are talking about, so nothing you say ever has any merit.
Your ignorance must be blissful.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Your ignorance must be blissful.I surmise yours might be a little more troubling.

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 04:40 AM
They call it extraordinary rendition for a reason.
And you believe the Guardian on that?

OK, Your contention is we kidnapped these people, rather than having legal cause to have them.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2013, 04:42 AM
And you believe the Guardian on that?

OK, Your contention is we kidnapped these people, rather than having legal cause to have them.

They call it extraordinary rendition for a reason.There could well be a legal rationale for extraordinary rendition, but I know of no formal treaties for it. If you want to move the goalposts, that's your business.

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 04:45 AM
Calling it that doesn't make it so.

Were they kidnapped, then extradited, or not? Now some treaties even allow for such actions. However, two of the nations listed in the article are not part of any extradition treaty that could compel us to do so. Still, we had diplomatic relationships with them to make extradition possible. With these two countries, did we kidnap them, or not?

ChumpDumper
02-05-2013, 04:49 AM
Since this report has to do with extraordinary rendition, I will repeat my original contention that it has nothing to do with existing extradition treaties.

You can read the whole report and explain how I'm wrong with citations if you wish.

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 04:57 AM
I didn't read the entire 216 page report, but just because the report is calling it that, doesn't make it so. From what I did read, they are the ones adding the extra word, "extraordinary."

Next you will read someplace we didn't go the the moon, and agree with Cosmored.

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 04:58 AM
You can read the whole report and explain how I'm wrong with citations if you wish.
Didn't see it anyplace, except their claim.

Did you find anything?

boutons_deux
02-05-2013, 05:02 AM
Report finds at least 54 countries co-operated with global kidnap, detention and torture operation mounted after 9/11 attacks

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/05/cia-rendition-countries-covert-support

So exceptional America, self-congratulated moral, preening, sanctimonious, God-Preferred "Christian" leader of the planet, isn't so "exceptional" in its kidnapping/torture/murder activities.

America violates "human rights" just like all those shitty countries America accused for decades of violating "human rights".

Or maybe America really is superior, exceptional, it's just that America is excepted from respecting human rights.

I note that Some People are very upset that America can hold America citizens indefinitely without charge or trial, and do murder them, but they aren't upset when America does the same to non-citizens.

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 05:03 AM
So Chumpy...

I think you will agree that rendition is a type of extradition. So by your definition, when does extradition become rendition, and when does rendition become extraordinary rendition?

Winehole23
02-05-2013, 05:12 AM
having failed to show any treaties supporting extraordinary rendition, WC mounts a weak semantic challenge with a hair-splitting flourish.

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 05:16 AM
having failed to show any treaties supporting extraordinary rendition, WC mounts a weak semantic challenge with a hair-splitting flourish.
I am asking for proof that the term "extraordinary rendition" applies.

Were they caught on a battlefield, legally detained, or were they kidnapped?

Chump wishes to argue the agenda of an organization bought and paid for by George Soros. Do you too?

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 05:19 AM
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x262/Wild_Cobra/People/OSIFounder_zps04c539da.jpg (http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/about)

Winehole23
02-05-2013, 05:21 AM
Were they caught on a battlefield, legally detained, or were they kidnapped?dunno. go ask Maher Arar.

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 05:23 AM
dunno. go ask Maher Arar.
According to what I read, he was legally detained. Therefore, he was not "kidnapped" which is a qualifier to become extraordinary rendition.

If you notice, I have not been responding to this from a moral view. Only the legal one. I think what happened to him was terrible.

Winehole23
02-05-2013, 05:24 AM
"There is no doubt that high-ranking Bush administration officials bear responsibility for authorising human rights violations associated with secret detention and extraordinary rendition, and the impunity that they have enjoyed to date remains a matter of significant concern," the report says.

"But responsibility for these violations does not end with the United States (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/usa). Secret detention and extraordinary rendition operations, designed to be conducted outside the United States under cover of secrecy, could not have been implemented without the active participation of foreign governments. These governments too must be held accountable."

widening the the "blame Bush" agenda to include countries that helped him violate basic human rights? I'd be for that.

Winehole23
02-05-2013, 05:27 AM
According to what I read, he was legally detained. Therefore, he was not "kidnapped" which is a qualifier to become extraordinary rendition.this is more hairsplitting. Arar was handed over to Syria to be tortured on the flimsiest pretext.

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 05:29 AM
this is more hairsplitting. Arar was handed over to Syria to be tortured on the flimsiest pretext.
He was a Syrian citizen, they wanted him. What I don't know is, what was Canada's role in it? They acknowledge fault, but I haven't seen what it is.

Winehole23
02-05-2013, 05:35 AM
He was a Syrian citizen, they wanted him.we detained Maher Arar at Syria's request? Bullshit.

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 05:39 AM
we detained Maher Arar at Syria's request? Bullshit.
I guess you're right. I did some reasearch, and it seems things are different than I thought.

The Royal Canadian mounted Police are the ones who informed the FBI of his meeting with a known Al Quada agent. probably coincidence. He had dual citizenship with Canada, but Canada wouldn't take him...

He was therefore deported to Syria as a suspected agent of Al Queda.

It was their fuckup.

Wild Cobra
02-05-2013, 05:59 AM
To add, I would not call extraordinary rendition legal, unless it is explicitly part of a treaty.

I am saying the articles BS of making the claim of so many extraordinary renditions.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Another thread of WC demonstrating he has the intuition of a toilet seat. Keep on guessing; keeping on being shit on.

Winehole23
02-05-2013, 09:34 AM
I am saying the articles BS of making the claim of so many extraordinary renditions.you have no apparent basis for doing so, but you're welcome to it.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2013, 01:57 PM
So Chumpy...

I think you will agree that rendition is a type of extradition. So by your definition, when does extradition become rendition, and when does rendition become extraordinary rendition?I most certainly do not agree that extraordinary rendition is a type of extradition. I'll thank you to not project your complete misunderstanding of terms onto others.

Winehole23
03-30-2016, 08:52 AM
The rationale for the naked photography, described by knowledgeable sources, was to insulate the CIA from legal or political ramifications stemming from their brutal treatment in the hands of its partner intelligence agencies.

Stripping the victims of clothing was considered necessary to document their physical condition while in CIA custody, distinguishing them at that point from what they would subsequently experience in foreign custody – despite the public diplomatic assurances against torture that the US demonstrably collected from countries with a record of torturing detainees.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/28/cia-photographed-naked-detainees

boutons_deux
03-30-2016, 09:02 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/28/cia-photographed-naked-detainees

... more to the mountains of evidence that USA is no better, no less corrupt, no less law-breaker, not EXCEPTIONAL, than any 3rd rate shithole countries.

The Biblical "Shining City on a Hill" is just another myth, a lie Americans tell themselves.