PDA

View Full Version : Public Speaking

FkLA
02-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Are you good at it? What makes it easier for you ?

Samuel Eto'o
02-05-2013, 06:15 PM
public speaking at utsa must be pretty hard since most of your fellow students don't even speak english.

FkLA
02-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Im bilingual. :)

baseline bum
02-05-2013, 06:32 PM
I would advise you skip the PowerPoint in your lecture since UTSA students are illiterate tbh. Maybe just draw a penis on the blackboard or something.

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Im bilingual. :)
Then present in Spanish and get back to us on what your grade was.

DeadlyDynasty
02-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Klonopin

cantthinkofanything
02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Are you good at it? What makes it easier for you ?

hate it. when I was in school, I'd often take a 0 even if it pulled my grade down by half a letter.

and later, in the classes where passing was contingent on a final presentation, I'd take several vodka shots that morning.

CuckingFunt
02-05-2013, 11:00 PM
I hate it, and always feel like a nervous idiot when I'm doing it, but I always get great feedback and people seem to think I sound natural and completely at ease.

mavs>spurs
02-05-2013, 11:02 PM
used to hate it, don't really care that much anymore but would rather not

thispego
02-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Know what you're talking about and it shouldn't be a problem. Practice practice practice, it'll become second nature

HarlemHeat37
02-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Agreed with thispussy, tbh..

If you're confident in the material, it's very easy..obviously if you're reading some shitty essay/presentation that you wrote in 15 minutes, you'll probably be nervous and shit, unless you've got some smooth charisma..

cantthinkofanything
02-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Agreed with thispussy, tbh..

If you're confident in the material, it's very easy..obviously if you're reading some shitty essay/presentation that you wrote in 15 minutes, you'll probably be nervous and shit, unless you've got some smooth charisma..

that's just not true. some of the smartest people in the world are terrible nervous public speakers. doesn't matter how much of an expert, some people are just not comfortable speaking in public. but maybe it's different when giving the bathroom cleanliness update to your fellow McWorkers.

HarlemHeat37
02-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Obviously speaking for myself, kid..

I'm aware that there are many people that have serious performance anxiety..

thispego
02-05-2013, 11:33 PM
:lol thispussy

BUMP
02-06-2013, 01:07 AM
I'm sporadic tbh it depends on the audience too

Sometimes I have no trouble while other times I'm more nervous than mookie at a TING Christmas dinner!

SA210
02-06-2013, 03:28 AM
I've spoken on the news many times in my activism, since a teen. Always had the jitters, but if I'm ever real pissed I have no problem at all, it just flows lol

manufan10
02-06-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm sporadic tbh it depends on the audience too

Sometimes I have no trouble while other times I'm more nervous than mookie at a TING Christmas dinner!

Same here.

rascal
02-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Get some beta blockers to help you relax. It will keep your heart from beating fast and from you getting dry mouth. The school can issue them for anxiety from public speaking.

Monostradamus
02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
I've spoken on the news many times in my activism, since a teen.

Yeah FYI, posting Youtubes that get 250 views isn't "speaking on the news".

Spur|n|Austin
02-06-2013, 04:47 PM
It was a nightmare for me in college; I honestly did whatever possible to avoid a speech or standing up to speak. As I've gotten older its not as bad, though I sometimes fear future best man speeches. The best advise I ever got, and it's been great in school, and on to my career is to start the speech or presentation with a little humor, something to break the ice. To me, everything is downhill and easier once people have laughed a little.

If you don't get them to laugh, sorry for ya - it's all up hill from there. ;)

stretch
02-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Know what you're talking about and it shouldn't be a problem.

This right here.

If you can have an educated conversation on the topic you are going to be publicly speaking about, then it makes it infinitely easier.

stretch
02-06-2013, 04:53 PM
that's just not true. some of the smartest people in the world are terrible nervous public speakers. doesn't matter how much of an expert, some people are just not comfortable speaking in public. but maybe it's different when giving the bathroom cleanliness update to your fellow McWorkers.

It's still better to know what you are talking about.

Even the best speakers are generally going to have struggles if they go on stage, not knowing what they are talking about. It's incredibly rare for someone to have minimal-to-no knowledge of a subject, go in front of an audience, and give a good sounding public speech.

cantthinkofanything
02-06-2013, 05:02 PM
It's still better to know what you are talking about.

Even the best speakers are generally going to have struggles if they go on stage, not knowing what they are talking about. It's incredibly rare for someone to have minimal-to-no knowledge of a subject, go in front of an audience, and give a good sounding public speech.

I don't disagree but that's not the same issue as those who are prepared but just have trouble speaking in public.

FkLA
02-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I can know what Im talking about and still perform terribly tbh. Ive also sacrificed an A before, instead getting a B cause I just completely took the week of presentations off. I get social anxiety up there or something...cant keep eye contact, randomly blushing, voice cracks. Im probably one of the worst in the world at this shit tbh.

BUMP
02-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I can know what Im talking about and still perform terribly tbh. Ive also sacrificed an A before, instead getting a B cause I just completely took the week of presentations off. I get social anxiety up there or something...cant keep eye contact, randomly blushing, voice cracks. Im probably one of the worst in the world at this shit tbh.

Have you tried the school counseling center or doctor?

tbh it's pretty common and you'd be surprised how many people have to go in for public speaking anxiety.

SA210
02-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Yeah FYI, posting Youtubes that get 250 views isn't "speaking on the news".

That's odd. I wasn't talking about YouTubes.

BUMP
02-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Same here.

For whatever reason, there was this complete blow off class I took senior year of high school with a lot of people I knew but for whatever reason I got ridiculously nervous in that class everytime I had to get up and speak. Whereas, if I'm in a quieter more serious class I have a lot easier time doing it.

DeadlyDynasty
02-06-2013, 06:14 PM
If it's for a class, handout pictures or info on your particular speech before you speak--whatever takes people's attention away from you will make it easier

Frank Dux
02-06-2013, 06:19 PM
I've been practicing since I graduated college about 9 years ago. Now I don't get nervous and my delivery is pretty polished. Toastmasters is pretty awesome and it's helped continue to improve my public speaking, which is important for my job. Not only do you get a lot of practice, but you get critiqued by people each time you speak. I would recommend it to anybody trying to improve their public speaking.

Trill Clinton
02-06-2013, 06:27 PM
i'm great at it.

Spur|n|Austin
02-06-2013, 06:53 PM
I've been practicing since I graduated college about 9 years ago. Now I don't get nervous and my delivery is pretty polished. Toastmasters is pretty awesome and it's helped continue to improve my public speaking, which is important for my job. Not only do you get a lot of practice, but you get critiqued by people each time you speak. I would recommend it to anybody trying to improve their public speaking.

Toastmasters is a great suggestion.

rascal
02-07-2013, 05:42 AM
If it's for a class, handout pictures or info on your particular speech before you speak--whatever takes people's attention away from you will make it easier

Won't work if you have severe social public speaking anxiety. Most people have some anxiety from public speaking if you don't do it enough. You need the beta blockers and hopefully they work enough that you don't look foolish up there. Like BUMP said check with the school counseling center or doctor to get a prescription for the beta blockers..

rascal
02-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Being good at public speaking is a powerful tool. Most people in management positions are relaxed doing it and if you can't it will limit your chances for success. It shows confidence in yourself if you are a powerful public speaker because many people can't do it well.