PDA

View Full Version : Article: Tiago Splitter continuing positive growth

MarkTravis
02-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Hey guys,

First of all I would like to say thank you for all of the positive feedback for my article on Manu Ginobili that was posted here last year. I appreciate it.

I have a new column out today about Tiago Splitter and how he continues to grow into an important piece for the San Antonio Spurs this season, with a focus on his pick-and-roll defense and offense as well as his increased playing time alongside Tim Duncan.

I'd love to hear your feedack either here or on the site. Thanks guys!

http://www.caller.com/news/2013/feb/06/spurs-splitter-taking-steps-toward-stardom/

ego
02-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Fine article ! :toast

stnick2261
02-06-2013, 12:12 PM
I don't usually read long articles... but this was good

Brazil
02-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Except for the team below your name being the lakers, thanks for sharing. It was a nice read.

Mugen
02-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Good read. Tiago's been great this year.

Destro
02-06-2013, 12:49 PM
nice video clip integration!

LittleCriminal
02-06-2013, 12:49 PM
One of the Best parts of that Article,

"he's (Splitter) likely the most mobile pick-and-roll defender the Spurs have had in quite some time (unless you count Aron Baynes, who I think could breakout if the Spurs trade Blair and move him into the rotation)."

I'm sure 99.9% of this forum feels the same way....

Blake
02-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Ironically, Splitter’s lack of diversity within his offensive repertoire makes him an incredible productive offensive player.

Wut

(and it should be ”incredibly”)

Blake
02-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Hey guys,

First of all I would like to say thank you for all of the positive feedback for my article on Manu Ginobili that was posted here last year. I appreciate it.

You're also welcome for the negative feedback. :tu

MarkTravis
02-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Wut

(and it should be ”incredibly”)

Thanks for the fix. That means that his lack of a complete game actually helps his offensive production because he only does what he is really good at, which is why he is so efficient.

Blake
02-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the fix. That means that his lack of a complete game actually helps his offensive production because he only does what he is really good at, which is why he is so efficient.

It also implies he has no reason to expand his game.

Man In Black
02-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Hey guys,

I have a new column out today about Tiago Splitter and how he continues to grow into an important piece for the San Antonio Spurs this season, with a focus on his pick-and-roll defense and offense as well as his increased playing time alongside Tim Duncan.

I'd love to hear your feedack either here or on the site. Thanks guys!

http://www.caller.com/news/2013/feb/06/spurs-splitter-taking-steps-toward-stardom/
Where is the like button on this thread?

freetiago
02-06-2013, 01:54 PM
I like the pick and roll defense breakdown which matches what the eye thought
spurs "force" teams into mid range shots at one of the highest clips in the league
but since theyre so wide open they hit them near a league high
while the other great defensive teams who have mobile bigs and athletes like the bulls and pacers force them into low percentage shots
its why popovich needs some counter to this strategy (trap) since a team like the thunder has lots of good mid range shooters

Brunodf
02-06-2013, 02:01 PM
"Splitter's defense on the pick-and-roll is the main reason that San Antonio's team pick-and-roll defense has jumped from league worst to league average this season.Splitter ranks first in the NBA in points per possession allowed, giving up a paltry .676 PPP to opposing ball handlers. Splitter is also holding ball handlers to just 34.1% shooting, which ranks him behind just two players: Larry Sanders and Joakim Noah, two elite defensive players."

Didn't know we were that bad...

Thanks.

dylankerouac
02-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Great article, thanks for sharing.

MarkTravis
02-06-2013, 02:35 PM

Correct. Similar to Tyson Chandler, Splitter has no reason to expand his game at this point in his career. He's a very good player right now because he does what he's asked to extremely well. He is an extremely valuable player as-is. There is no reason for him to attempt to add a jumper to his game.

MarkTravis
02-06-2013, 02:37 PM
I like the pick and roll defense breakdown which matches what the eye thought
spurs "force" teams into mid range shots at one of the highest clips in the league
but since theyre so wide open they hit them near a league high
while the other great defensive teams who have mobile bigs and athletes like the bulls and pacers force them into low percentage shots
its why popovich needs some counter to this strategy (trap) since a team like the thunder has lots of good mid range shooters

I've seen the Spurs go with some hard hedges this season as a change of pace against quick players that can shoot (Damian Lillard comes to mind). Not sure they would go full-on with a trap though it is an interesting idea.

MarkTravis
02-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Also, in case any of you are interested, here is my Xs and Os breakdown of the 15 Snug pick-and-roll play that is shown in the Splitter post. http://thechasedownblock.com/40855/breakdown-san-antonios-15-snug-pick-and-roll/

Amuseddaysleeper
02-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Mark, how far do you see the Spurs going this year?

Excellent write up :tu

MarkTravis
02-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Mark, how far do you see the Spurs going this year?

Excellent write up :tu

I think San Antonio is a Western Conference Finals team again. I don't see them beating OKC this year unless Ginobili is able to get over all of these nagging injuries and play at 100% the entire series. If the Clippers can knock out the Thunder - a possibility as that is a decent matchup for them - then I can see the Spurs beating LAC in the WCF, though I think the Clips would also have a chance in that series. Obviously the Grizzlies would be a tough second round test for San Antonio but my sleeper team as far as a potential upset of San Antonio is the Warriors. If those two matchup in the second round I think the Warriors will give San Antonio a run for their money.

If the standings are the same at the end of the year as they are today then San Antonio would win round one easily. The Rockets are the best possible matchup for the Spurs because they play extremely fast, which plays into the Spurs' hands. If they make a trade, perhaps it becomes a tougher series, but I don't think Houston can beat SAS. And I can't omit the Lakers. Even though I don't think they will make the playoffs, LAL-SAS in the first round could mirror the MEM-SAS from 2011, but that could just be the Laker fan inside me talking.

Overall: I think the Spurs make it back to the Western Conference Finals but I think their path to get there will be a little more competitive and interesting than last season.

wildbill2u
02-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Ask your boss for a raise. Good insight into the nuances of basketball offense and defense and great video illustrations of the points you make. You should be working in a bigger market.

TheSkeptic
02-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Ask your boss for a raise. Good insight into the nuances of basketball offense and defense and great video illustrations of the points you make. You should be working in a bigger market.

Agreed. I wouldn't complain nearly as much about basketball writers if they produced content like this.

Other than the whole Lakers thing, OP did a great job. :tu

MarkTravis
02-06-2013, 03:40 PM

Haha! Thanks! I am actually just 19-years old. I am in college now getting a sports media degree. I appreciate your kind words!

TheSkeptic
02-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Haha! Thanks! I am actually just 19-years old. I am in college now getting a sports media degree. I appreciate your kind words!

...Well that would explain everything.

Spur|n|Austin
02-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Good read, thanks. :tu

MarkTravis
02-06-2013, 04:02 PM
...Well that would explain everything.

Hopefully for the better!

TheSkeptic
02-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Hopefully for the better!

Nah. It was a neutral comment.

You seriously haven't heard all the writer comments about college kids who do a great job but are willing to work for less (or free)? Intern wages and all that?

MarkTravis
02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Nah. It was a neutral comment.

You seriously haven't heard all the writer comments about college kids who do a great job but are willing to work for less (or free)? Intern wages and all that?

Actually I haven't.

TheSkeptic
02-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Actually I haven't.

Oh well now I guess you have. ;)

Really appreciated the article actually. I wish that more of our beat writers were able to provide breakdowns like this. Outside of PtR at times I haven't seen too many that offered a whole lot of additional insight.

MarkTravis
02-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Oh well now I guess you have. ;)

Really appreciated the article actually. I wish that more of our beat writers were able to provide breakdowns like this. Outside of PtR at times I haven't seen too many that offered a whole lot of additional insight.

Well bookmark my staff page then! :) http://www.caller.com/staff/mark-travis/

I will have my take on the Al Jefferson-to-the-Spurs rumors tomorrow!

Slutter McGee
02-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks for this. Enjoy reading it. But if I were you I would start investigating which basketball player is boinking which celebrity instead of writing quality basketball articles. It might be selling your soul, but if you can speak in this kind of detail about what holes are being filled by famous athlete's dicks, you can be very successful.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

pgardn
02-06-2013, 08:25 PM
I liked most of it.

Honestly Splitter gets to the rim as well as any big in the league and he is easy to locate. But finishing...
He has become more creative in using his mobility around the rim as he has very limited hops. But finishing... LOT'S of room for improvement in this area. Lots...

I am shocked at his improvement and not a hater.
We also don't ask him to go up and get anything like Chandler so his use of the rim on reverses is nice to see as well as his work on pivoting to position himself creating better angles, but finishing... Uhmmmm....

freetiago
02-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Lol at the notion Splitter cant finish because he doesnt monkeyball
3rd in the entire nba in field goal percentage

Top 5
1) T.Chandler
2) D. Jordan
3) T.Splitter
4) Amar'e Stoudemire
5) Wight Oward

youll notice a similar trend if you go in the top 10 in nba in field goal percentage

txstr1986
02-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Good read and great analysis. My one pointer would be too shorten your articles if possible. Most people won't get through the whole thing. If you can get across the same point in a shorter article, go for it.

pgardn
02-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Lol at the notion Splitter cant finish because he doesnt monkeyball
3rd in the entire nba in field goal percentage

Top 5
1) T.Chandler
2) D. Jordan
3) T.Splitter
4) Amar'e Stoudemire
5) Wight Oward

youll notice a similar trend if you go in the top 10 in nba in field goal percentage

He should be first based on the bunnies he has missed or the times he has been packed.

Again another fail by #'s. Suggest you watch the games. He is clearly better than last year. THERE IS NO WAY HE IS THE THIRD BEST FINISHER IN THE LEAGUE.

Brunodf
02-06-2013, 10:23 PM
He should be first based on the bunnies he has missed or the times he has been packed.

Again another fail by #'s. Suggest you watch the games. He is clearly better than last year. THERE IS NO WAY HE IS THE THIRD BEST FINISHER IN THE LEAGUE.

Last year he was the second best

pgardn
02-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Yeah.

A better finisher than Tim.

Blake
02-07-2013, 12:54 PM

Correct. Similar to Tyson Chandler, Splitter has no reason to expand his game at this point in his career. He's a very good player right now because he does what he's asked to extremely well. He is an extremely valuable player as-is. There is no reason for him to attempt to add a jumper to his game.

Agree to disagree.

You obviously put a lot of effort into the piece. Keep up the hard work. :tu

Blake
02-07-2013, 12:54 PM

Agree to disagree.

You obviously put a lot of effort into the piece. Keep up the hard work. :tu

SenorSpur
02-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Wonderfully well-written article!

thanks for sharing.

boutons_deux
02-10-2013, 01:13 PM
"positive growth"

that makes as much sense as economists' "negative growth"

Splitter Continues To Grow into his Spurs role

but a good article. :)