PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A. Smith on Spurs #1 In Power Rankings

ace3g
02-06-2013, 01:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XzLpb7SbEqo

http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-articles/february/video-stephen-a-smith-has-issues-with-spurs-atop-power-rankings.html

Poolboy5623
02-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Why does this guy have a job?

Dingle Barry
02-06-2013, 01:15 PM
God I hate that motherfucker.

biskvito
02-06-2013, 01:16 PM
seems he's saying power rankings are not so important come playoff time... nothing new

Captivus
02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
I dont disagree completely.

xellos88330
02-06-2013, 01:19 PM
I hate to say it, but I love to hear this guy talk shit about the Spurs. It is a nice reminder that just because you are no TV, doesn't mean you know shit. :D

For the record, I do believe that he makes one good point. If Tim, Tony, Manu start slowing down in the playoffs, who do the Spurs then turn to?

Mel_13
02-06-2013, 01:19 PM
He said that the Heat and the Thunder are his top 2 favorites for the title this year. Can't disagree with that.

dbreiden83080
02-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Why does this guy have a job?

ESPN fired him like 4 times a few years back. He seemed to slip back in through the back door..

Boomersgold
02-06-2013, 01:22 PM
:bang

Boomersgold
02-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Stephen A Smith seems to hate the Spurs. He says he isn't biased, but it's not that hard to see that he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1LRRjRYCdo

thunderup
02-06-2013, 01:23 PM
:lol The man tells the truth. I love how he gets a rise out of you spurfans when he actually has a point.

Boomersgold
02-06-2013, 01:25 PM
:lol The man tells the truth. I love how he gets a rise out of you spurfans when he actually has a point.

No, he doesn't. How can the top ranked team in the West conference not be in the top 5 of his "Power Rankings"....?

Ice009
02-06-2013, 01:25 PM
This guy a straight up hater. Nothing more to say about the clown. I didn't even bother watching the video clip. We all know what the deal is, and that it will be tough to win, and that we are not the favorites, but the point is, this guy said the same shit when the Spurs were on top.

thunderup
02-06-2013, 01:27 PM
No, he doesn't. How can the top ranked team in the West conference not be in the top 5 of his "Power Rankings"....?
It's the regular season. We all know how spectacular the spurs looked in the regular season last year, only to be shown up by the better team eventually.

Chinook
02-06-2013, 01:27 PM
I agree with him on the power rankings except for idea that the Pacers should be above the Spurs. They don't have any stars, which should be worse than having old stars. I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking that the teams with the biggest superstars are going to win. After Durant did what he did last year, it's a pretty good argument.

That being said, the lack of Harden can't be overlooked. You can't say that superstars are what win games from one side and then say that Harden's loss is offset by role players on the other side. It just doesn't make sense.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-06-2013, 01:29 PM
If you replace Harden with Martin last year, the Spurs win that series in 6.

I have no problem with the Thunder being listed as the favorites to come out of the West, but to say they're better than last year is a stretch.

spurraider21
02-06-2013, 01:35 PM
i cant blame him. all year last season skip was talking about the spurs and stephen A sat there at took it. then the spurs started to roll in the playoffs and stephen A finally bought into the spurs and picked them to beat OKC (and go on to win it all). then when OKC rallied and beat the good guys, Stephen A once again was able to call the spurs regular season warriors... he doesn't intent to buy into them again until they prove they can beat okc. Although I disagree with him (Thunder minus Harden will be more beatable come playoff time), I can't blame him for doubting the spurs

timtonymanu
02-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Meh. I don't disagree with what he said other than the Knicks and Pacers being in the top 5.

He's right. Who outside of the Big 3 can be relied on? There's no given. Splitter? He choked last year. Leonard? He's still growing as a player. Green and Neal? Yeah right. I do believe in the Spurs but I don't understand why some of you are so butthurt about what he said. Heat and Thunder are still the two best teams in the NBA.

spurs10
02-06-2013, 01:44 PM
It's the regular season. We all know how spectacular the spurs looked in the regular season last year, only to be shown up by the better team eventually.
Talk about being 'shown up' in the playoffs! When the calls stopped going your way, you guys crumbled very quickly. Even Durant had a few things to say about the officiating in the WCF. Thunder will be a tough out no doubt, but I don't think they are as good as last year.

Obstructed_View
02-06-2013, 01:53 PM
It's the regular season. We all know how spectacular the spurs looked in the regular season last year, only to be shown up by a team that played out of their minds for precisely six games.

romain.star
02-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Hate him all you want but truth is over the last years, the Spurs have not been able to live up to the expectations raised during very successful regular seasons.

Duncan2177
02-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Stephen A is an ignorant twat.

RD2191
02-06-2013, 02:05 PM
gtfo thunderup, i will beat you to a pulp if i ever see you, fukin homo

ace3g
02-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Imagine when Skip mentions Aron Baynes on the show, lol

bklynspursfan
02-06-2013, 02:12 PM

Unfortunately, when you guys stopped getting all the calls in the finals (after the NBA got their dream matchup) well, we all saw what happened. This is a new year, and 2 different teams...

EricB
02-06-2013, 02:15 PM
I pay zero attention. He's a racist jackass who once said David Robinson wasnt "black enough" to win a ring. Since that and his clear racist rants against Rasho and Splitter, ignore him. Doing this is exactly what the asshat wants.

boutons_deux
02-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Not enough gangsta/ghetto/bad-attitude blacks on Spurs for SAS

DisAsTerBot
02-06-2013, 02:35 PM
lol at the hostess laughing at everything Stephen A Smith said

spurtech09
02-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Spur hater more like it.....:lmao

Spurs 4 The Win
02-06-2013, 02:59 PM

Nice avatar fagget, maybe if it wasnt 8 on 5 for the whole series. Hope we get a chance to punk your little bitch crybaby westbrook and all your inbred trailer park fans.

Obstructed_View
02-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Why doesn't SAS find a team with a bigger fanbase to troll? Bringing in Spurs fans with his shuck-and-jive doesn't seem all that sensible.

FromWayDowntown
02-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Meh. Stephen A. was convinced that the Spurs weren't good enough to win a title in 2003 (back when his go-to move was calling David Robinson a softie) . . . and 2005 (Raasssshoo Nesssterroooovic). . . and 2007 (I seem to recall him picking the Iverson/Anthony Nuggets to beat those Spurs in Round 1 and likely picking Phoenix to beat them in Round 2). For the last decade, he's been annually dismissive of the Spurs' title chances and, at times, has openly rooted against them -- particularly when the Spurs have played the Lakers, always yearning for a June trip to LA and lamenting having to come to San Antonio instead.

He's been right the past few years. He might be right this year too.

He's mostly a loudmouth who gets paid because he drives viewership or readership through making outrageous statements and pissing off people who don't take his assessments with the shaker of salt that should accompany them.

He's the ultimate ESPN company man.

Dex
02-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Don't understand why anybody still pays to attention to anything this ratings whore has to say.

cd98
02-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Don't you find it hilarious that Smith thinks Manu, Parker, and Duncan are too old, but Garnett, who is older than Manu and Parker would guarantee the Clippers a championship?

wildbill2u
02-06-2013, 03:52 PM
I think the Thunder are weaker this year than last. Kevin Martin does not equal Harden, period. No doubt they are still good, just not as good.

BatManu20
02-06-2013, 04:09 PM
I hate Stephen A. as much as the next guy, but until the Spurs prove that they're more than just regular season champs, you can't really fault the guy for feeling that way.

DejuanorwhatDude
02-06-2013, 04:25 PM
I hate Stephen A. as much as the next guy, but until the Spurs prove that they're more than just regular season champs, you can't really fault the guy for feeling that way.

Pretty much. Can't really hate on the guy when the Spurs don't do much to disprove him. However putting the Pacers above the Spurs is hogwash.

TD 21
02-06-2013, 04:26 PM

So that automatically means it'll play out the same way this year?

I don't have a problem with him saying the Heat and Thunder are the two favorites; virtually everyone knows that. But he's like Barkley, in that he thinks if he prefaces his comments about the Spurs by saying he likes and respects them, that it gives him free reign to criticize them after that. It's pathetic. He should just come clean and admit he doesn't like them.

Spurs 4 The Win
02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
So that automatically means it'll play out the same way this year?

I don't have a problem with him saying the Heat and Thunder are the two favorites; virtually everyone knows that. But he's like Barkley, in that he thinks if he prefaces his comments about the Spurs by saying he likes and respects them, that it gives him free reign to criticize them after that. It's pathetic. He should just come clean and admit he doesn't like them.

Barkley actually has been a big proponent for the spurs in the last few years IIRC

phxspurfan
02-06-2013, 04:38 PM
lol, Skip's homerism juxtaposed with Stephen A's hate is classic. Skip directly saying Manu and Tony should put Stephen A.'s quotes on their bulletin board is great

cd98
02-06-2013, 04:47 PM
They made it to the WCF last year and were within two games of making the finals. They swept Smith's beloved Clippers in the playoffs last year. Maybe they haven't won a title, but to say the Spurs are not in the top 5 for playoff power rankings is beyond stupid. He shouldn't be a pundit.

Bill_Brasky
02-06-2013, 04:53 PM
He's definitely a Spurs hater but we saw what happened last year.

Personally I'm uncomfortable with talking heads picking the Spurs to win it all. Seems like we do better when people don't think or talk about us much.

gambit1990
02-06-2013, 04:55 PM
how about we don't give a shit about someone who won't affect our play?

Spurs 4 The Win
02-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Stephen A smith prolly comes to these forums and reads these posts and laughs his ass off cuz he trolls us so hard

elbamba
02-06-2013, 05:16 PM

Thats fine. But the argument is that the Spurs are not a top five team. They finished in the final four last year and have the best record this year. How can they not be a top 5 team at this point?

John B
02-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Among the teams that he mentioned, only the Heat and Thunder have finals experience. The Clippers, Knicks over Spurs in ranking? That's a joke. Skills plus experience win championships. That's why the Spurs cannot be counted out. Plus the Spurs are better this year with another year together esp the improvements of TS and KL. I don't think I can say the Thunders and Heat improved this year tbh. Thunder last year with Harden went 1-4 against Heat in the Finals.

elbamba
02-06-2013, 05:22 PM

4 championships,a trip to the WCF last year and Ibaka shooting like 11 for 11 in game 5 is what kept the Spurs from playing in a fifth finals last year. They have proven that they are more than just regular season champs. Winning a championship requires a degree of luck. Every year the Spurs won, things fell into place. The Spurs will be there again this year with a chance to win it all.

tenbeersbold
02-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Ehh,SAS is a classic individualist vs collectivist

Which is why most "super stars" wouldnt play in SA

Its the TEAM concept that throws 'em and it unfortunately usually breaks down along color lines

Not arguing racial differences or which is better than the other it just is what it is

LarryDavid
02-06-2013, 05:30 PM
It's ESPN...why is this relevant?

Reck
02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Yeah I dont disagree with most of what he said. The thing that bothers me about this tool is his pissy attitude.

He somehow thinks whatever he says is law and should be taken at worth. That's when I :lmao at this guy.

Obstructed_View
02-06-2013, 05:54 PM

I can go along with that, but he said the same thing in 2001, 2003 and 2007. Also, in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008...

TrainOfThought5
02-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Meh. I don't disagree with what he said other than the Knicks and Pacers being in the top 5.

He's right. Who outside of the Big 3 can be relied on? There's no given. Splitter? He choked last year. Leonard? He's still growing as a player. Green and Neal? Yeah right. I do believe in the Spurs but I don't understand why some of you are so butthurt about what he said. Heat and Thunder are still the two best teams in the NBA.

hater
02-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Stevie is speaking some truth. In a really annoying kind of way only this afronerd can

Spurs have busted last 7 playoff runs. They are dark horses this year at best

SpursIndonesia
02-06-2013, 06:27 PM
It depends on how you define "power ranking", it it goes as "the most favorite to win it all", ofcourse the Heat is number one as the defending champ with still reigning roster, and the Thunderefs also comes back as no. 2, but after that, i can't see any other team went in front of the Spurs clearly, unless anyone of the big three (knock on woods) goes down with a season ending injury. And you can make argument, that with their superb consistency so far this season, the Spurs deserve a third spot in that ranking definition.

mercos
02-06-2013, 06:30 PM
I don't disagree that the Heat and the Thunder are favorites to reach the finals again, but his insinuation that the Clippers are ahead of the Spurs is laughable. Without Chris Paul this is a sub-500 team. I love CP3, but he alone is not good enough to put that team past the Spurs. He got swept last year, maybe they could take it to six games this year. Stephen A. slurps anything from LA, Miami, and New York, because that is where he wants to go to cover the finals.

midnightpulp
02-06-2013, 06:48 PM
He's right. Fact is the Spurs' big 3 isn't as good as the big 3s of the Thunder and Heat. Champion team basketball all you want, but more often than not, the later rounds of the playoffs come down to whose stars step up the most, and the Spurs simply don't have 2 guys who can average 25 points per game each throughout a playoff series, meaning role players are going to have to step up big, which you can't always rely on in the post-season.

howbouthemspurs
02-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Stephen is a douche ad he takes it up the ass with a smile. ESPN is paying him to discredit the Spurs as much as he can while praising them at the same time.

pgardn
02-06-2013, 07:00 PM
God he is loud.

I turned the volume down and I swear he started to scream louder.

Steamin Screaming A Smith

Tbiggums47
02-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Amen...He's a clown.....
Don't understand why anybody still pays to attention to anything this ratings whore has to say.

Obstructed_View
02-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Then they shouldn't really call it Power Rankings, and they should only allow OKC, Miami, the two LA teams and New York to be listed.

Old School 44
02-06-2013, 08:53 PM
No problem with him putting Heat and Thunder 1 and 2, BUT Spurs not in top 5....PLEASE!
But of course you know this is all good cop/bad cop shtick with over-the-top Spurs lover Bayless, so I wouldn't really take any of this stuff seriously.

DMC
02-06-2013, 09:42 PM
"Please SAS, don't kill my belief"

Drz
02-06-2013, 11:52 PM
Quick lesson for those of you think it'll come down to your X (3 typically) best players in the playoffs.

Here's what happens when teams (such as us) play the Thunder or the Heat. The Thunder/Heat l have probably four offensive ballers out there.... and someone like Perkins, or Udonis Haslem. We'll slide maybe a scrub defender over to him, but really, that defender's job is to play team defense and help others because we know that 5th guy ain't getting the shots.

Here's what happens when teams play the Spurs. We will have five offensive ballers out there. You better put 5 on 5, because if you leave ANY of our good five open, you will be punished. Help defense? Good luck with it. You stick to your man or you take it up the ass.

That, my friends, is why Stephen A. Smith's point is ridiculous. That it all comes down to stars is old school thinking. Yes, stars are extremely important, but a team like the Spurs with a core of tiny, tiny, tiny bit lesser stars, but a MUCH better 4th and 5th guy -- that is a superior team.

bigfan
02-07-2013, 12:24 AM
I cannot stand that motherfucker. You can bet your ass if the Lakers/Heat/Bulls/Knicks had the best record he would be slobbering all over it.

Thebesteva
02-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Yeah like it's only the Spurs that the ESPN media is hard on...please....every single time they talk about ANY sports team there is 1 guy who presents an argument why the team is overrated and the other guy talks about why the team is the real deal.

Molotov
02-07-2013, 12:39 AM
God I hate that motherfucker.

i hate you

Boomersgold
02-07-2013, 12:40 AM
i hate you

Is that you, Stephen A. Smith?

superbigtime
02-07-2013, 12:41 AM
I don't care if Stephen A Cornbread hates the Spurs or loves them, he can kiss my black ass.

Molotov
02-07-2013, 12:42 AM

Silence!

Clipper Nation
02-07-2013, 01:00 AM
Unfortunately, when you guys stopped getting all the calls in the finals (after the NBA got their dream matchup) well, we all saw what happened. This is a new year, and 2 different teams...

Nice avatar fagget, maybe if it wasnt 8 on 5 for the whole series. Hope we get a chance to punk your little bitch crybaby westbrook and all your inbred trailer park fans.

Talk about being 'shown up' in the playoffs! When the calls stopped going your way, you guys crumbled very quickly. Even Durant had a few things to say about the officiating in the WCF. Thunder will be a tough out no doubt, but I don't think they are as good as last year.

gtfo thunderup, i will beat you to a pulp if i ever see you, fukin homo

:lmao thunderup even getting shat on by GNSF

ontheraise
02-07-2013, 02:00 AM
I hate to say it, but I love to hear this guy talk shit about the Spurs. It is a nice reminder that just because you are no TV, doesn't mean you know shit. :D

For the record, I do believe that he makes one good point. If Tim, Tony, Manu start slowing down in the playoffs, who do the Spurs then turn to?

that shit doesn't make any sense take out the 3 best player of any team in the league, of course they won't be as good.
if wade bosh and james start slowing down who do the heat turn to.
if westbrook durant and ibaka start slowing down who do the thunder turn to.

lol at clipper over spurs. ROLF

thunderup
02-07-2013, 02:05 AM
:lmao thunderup (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=35988) even getting shat on by GNSF
:lmao you siding with spur fans
:lmao thinking the Spurs are gonna knock off OKC

Hoops Czar
02-07-2013, 02:07 AM
that shit doesn't make any sense take out the 3 best player of any team in the league, of course they won't be as good.
if wade bosh and james start slowing down who do the heat turn to.
if westbrook durant and ibaka start slowing down who do the thunder turn to.

lol at clipper over spurs. ROLF

They're a lot younger. If they slow down, the league would lose money and ratings would start to plummet.

Btw, the Spurs are 0-2 vs the Clippers.

DejuanorwhatDude
02-07-2013, 02:24 AM
They're a lot younger. If they slow down, the league would lose money and ratings would start to plummet.

Btw, the Spurs are 0-2 vs the Clippers.

I thought regular season didn't mean anything.

Hoops Czar
02-07-2013, 02:25 AM
I thought regular season didn't mean anything.

Tell that to TNT and ESPN.

Spurs 4 The Win
02-07-2013, 02:40 AM

:lmaoThinking your team is untouchable after trading your 2nd best player and getting skullfucked in the finals

Splits
02-07-2013, 03:19 AM

It's Luva

chapnis
02-07-2013, 03:36 AM
I thought Power Rankings was for who is playing best right now, not who is going to win, otherwise the Heat would always be number 1.

ontheraise
02-07-2013, 03:47 AM

come back when you get a ring!
and don't forget that refs won the serie for you last year!

biskvito
02-07-2013, 04:16 AM
bottom line is OKC still the favorite to win, but you never know how things will happen... Spurs supposedly improved defensively, which may not help because refs won't let you properly guard the stars in this league... Tony Parker playing might be the difference maker for Spurs

therealtruth
02-07-2013, 07:36 AM
What do you expect him to say? After the Spurs finally convinced all the skeptics by the WCF. They win the first two games and then get backdoor swept. Frankly I don't think Pop can handle expectations and it explains why he's never repeated. He believes it's a matter of getting lucky why someone like PJ believes in creating your own luck.

TampaDude
02-07-2013, 11:00 AM
SAS and Skip are the best of friends off the set. It's a SHOW, folks, that's it.

TampaDude
02-07-2013, 11:01 AM
What do you expect him to say? After the Spurs finally convinced all the skeptics by the WCF. They win the first two games and then get backdoor swept. Frankly I don't think Pop can handle expectations and it explains why he's never repeated. He believes it's a matter of getting lucky why someone like PJ believes in creating your own luck.

2004 was a real shock
But the Spurs you can't knock
If not for that late clock
They would have a fifth rock

TJastal
02-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Don't you find it hilarious that Smith thinks Manu, Parker, and Duncan are too old, but Garnett, who is older than Manu and Parker would guarantee the Clippers a championship?

He's just placing his bets. Now I'll place mine. KG has looked pretty good the past few weeks, but if I had to bet on which TOSB's will most likely run out of gas by season end my money is on KG / Pierce.

Horse
02-07-2013, 01:56 PM

Yeah but it was 8 against 5 and luck chuck is now in houston. I'd love to see what would happen if they ever called it down the middle.

Horse
02-07-2013, 02:00 PM
And this asshole smith said during the streak that the spurs would win last season.

TheCerebral1
02-07-2013, 04:56 PM
I can understand some of where he's coming from, but I really feel that this season Splitter will make a difference and will be starting the majority of playoff games. His ability to hit lane runners, defend against the other teams center and the lack of other real threats in the west outside of Oklahoma City give the Spurs a legitimate threat to get past the conference finals. A little tweaking at the deadline like last year to improve the bench could also help.

dunkman
02-07-2013, 05:36 PM
he butthurt, tbh . . .

therealtruth
02-07-2013, 07:50 PM
I can understand some of where he's coming from, but I really feel that this season Splitter will make a difference and will be starting the majority of playoff games. His ability to hit lane runners, defend against the other teams center and the lack of other real threats in the west outside of Oklahoma City give the Spurs a legitimate threat to get past the conference finals. A little tweaking at the deadline like last year to improve the bench could also help.

I agree Splitter has to be the difference for the Spurs. I feel his growth stunted right after the RRT last season. He needs regain confidence in his post game. He should also work on his jumpshot so he can surprise opponents in the playoffs.

crc21209
02-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Stephen A. is a damn tool bag. Just ask anyone. There are even people who are a part of the crew for First Take that are kind of embarrased to be a part of that show. There are a couple of articles about it...

KaiRMD1
02-07-2013, 07:54 PM

And in the playoffs, we know how that "better team" disappeared in the finals showing everyone that they were just as much a fluke, brah

letmk
02-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Anybody still watching, let alone caring, what SAS says does not hate him enough. He is just pure ignorant and a racist. Just ignore him.