PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Kobe Challenges Dwight To Play Through Shoulder Injury

mindcrime
02-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Kobe Bryant challenged Dwight Howard to return to the Los Angeles Lakers' lineup following their win over the Nets.

The Lakers lost Pau Gasol to injury in the game and Bryant thinks Howard can play through the injury.

"He's probably worried about the damage in his shoulder," Bryant said. "I don't think he's ever had to play through injuries in his career. I think it's a new experience for him."

Bryant has postponed surgeries until the offseason and played through pain several times throughout his career.

"When I was growing up, going through high school and middle school, unfortunately but fortunately I dealt with injuries," Bryant said. "Not injuries that were debilitating but injuries you have to play through where you have to manage the pain. When you go through those things you learn your body and what you can push through.

"But Dwight has never been hurt. The [back injury last season] was debilitating and he couldn't play. When you have an injury that hurts you but you can play through it that's something you have to balance out and manage and he's never really had to do that."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225976/Kobe-Challenges-Dwight-To-Play-Through-Shoulder-Injury

:lol Kobe basically calling Dwight a pussy!

Brazil
02-06-2013, 03:31 PM
:lol

kobe is not wrong but damn it is not going to help Lakers locker room

Spur_Fanatic
02-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Awesome. You can always count on Kobe to put the cancer back in the locker room.

UZER
02-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Kobe with the "look at me I'm better" per par.

KL2
02-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Bragging about playing with jammed fingers lol.

JamStone
02-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Kobe never had a problem with being a dick to teammates.

In this instance, I might agree with him more if not for the fact that Dwight Howard does have to think about his career as well as his team. Since he doesn't have a contract beyond this season and is still set up for a big (and maybe last big) contract for his basketball career, he has to weigh the risks of playing with the shoulder injury. More players should man up and play through injuries, and even though Dwight Howard has been a jackass the last couple seasons, I would totally understand if he felt he needed to protect his career interests this time.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
The big difference is that Kobe's game has some tools in it that allow him to be effective playing hurt. TOSB Kobe is still capable of contributing. Pretty much all Dwight's got going for him is his athleticism. If he can't beat his man down the court for position, power through defenders on the post, or outleap someone for an alley oop he's a liability.

Doesn't look like the Lakers are going anywhere this year, and from we've seen of Dwight when he's less than 100% all that playing hurt will do is give them a chance to really wonder if he's worth tying up for 5 years.

baseline bum
02-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Kobe never had a problem with being a dick to teammates.

In this instance, I might agree with him more if not for the fact that Dwight Howard does have to think about his career as well as his team. Since he doesn't have a contract beyond this season and is still set up for a big (and maybe last big) contract for his basketball career, he has to weigh the risks of playing with the shoulder injury. More players should man up and play through injuries, and even though Dwight Howard has been a jackass the last couple seasons, I would totally understand if he felt he needed to protect his career interests this time.

Like when Grant Hill manned up and played in 2000?

Johnny RIngo
02-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Kobe's getting paid 30 million this year. Dwight's in a contract year and has his future to think of. I understand Kobe's angry about his legacy being tarnished(that's all he thinks about these days) but it's selfish of him to expect a teammate to play through an injury - especially when his future earnings are at stake.

JamStone
02-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Exactly. But in retrospect, it wasn't as much an issue of Grant Hill playing while hurt. It was more of an issue of him getting a misdiagnosis of the actual injury to his foot. That's what fucked him up. Had he known what was really wrong with his foot, he probably doesn't "man up" and play through it. He thought he could because doctors said it was okay when it really wasn't.

Koolaid_Man
02-06-2013, 07:47 PM
So I'm guessing Dwight should only play hurt (through non debilitating pain) when he's signed the deal....my take is that regardless of what happens (for the most part) to Dwight he's getting a max deal...unless he has a major knee injury...he can play right now he's just taking a few extra days...he doesn't have the drive nor has he ever had it to be the best he can be....He coasts on raw athleticism... Cully was so right about this guy....

Technique
02-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Just like Avery Bradley

Stalin
02-06-2013, 10:22 PM
kobe's manipulation in order to coattail yet another big to the playoffs is so transparent, IMO TBH

KaiRMD1
02-06-2013, 10:59 PM
The thing is playing through injury can make things worse for the player in the shoulder. Kobe will feel it when he gets older but oh well, King Kobe speaks

Latarian Milton
02-07-2013, 01:54 AM
playing through injuries ain't the same thing to bigs as it is to guards imho. when your big is injured you better keep him out of the match until he's fully healed. bigs' bodies bear more weight which puts their bones & joints at bigger risk of getting damanged than them guards imho

Splits
02-07-2013, 02:05 AM
"We don't have time for (Howard's shoulder) to heal," Bryant said Wednesday in an exclusive interview with ESPNBoston.com's Jackie MacMullan. "We need some urgency."

The interview with MacMullan came one day after Bryant publicly challenged Howard, stating that playing through an injury is "something that you have to balance out and manage."

Bryant also asserted that Howard is preoccupied with how he is perceived by fans and media.

"Dwight worries too much about what people think," Bryant told MacMullan. "I told him, 'You can't worry about that. It's holding you back.' He says, 'OK, OK, OK,' but it's always hovering around him.

"He just wants people to like him. He doesn't want to let anyone down, and that gets him away from what he should be doing."

Bryant also speculated that Howard, in his first season with Los Angeles, may not be accustomed to the Lakers' standards.

"(Howard) has never been in a position where someone is driving him as hard as I am, as hard as this organization is," Bryant told MacMullan. "It's win a championship or everything is a complete failure. That's just how (the Lakers) do it. And that's foreign to him.

"When you think about it, there aren't many organizations that look at it that way. There are only two that can really honestly say that's what they live by -- Los Angeles and Boston."

Wow. Don't even know where to begin with all this shit talk. One thing is for sure, Kirby is demented. Powertrip-full-of-himself-narcissistic demented.

Leon Black
02-07-2013, 02:06 AM
Kobe needs to ease up on this shit until Dwight actually resigns. Once he signs that contract then rip into his azz

HI-FI
02-07-2013, 02:08 AM
Wow. Don't even know where to begin with all this shit talk. One thing is for sure, Kirby is demented. Powertrip-full-of-himself-narcissistic demented.
I've been saying that forever. there's something wrong with the nigga. look up the definitions for sociopath or narcissistic personality disorder, Rapist fits the definition to the T. someone like that should never be in a position of leadership imo.

Dwight is as good as gone.

Koolaid_Man
02-07-2013, 07:37 AM
I've been saying that forever. there's something wrong with the nigga. look up the definitions for sociopath or narcissistic personality disorder, Rapist fits the definition to the T. someone like that should never be in a position of leadership imo.

Dwight is as good as gone.

STFU Bitch...nothing wrong with that dat Nigga...you punks just not use to seeing a real live nigga tell it like it is...yall live in a fantasy world and don't have a clue about what's happening beyond that fucking dirty rat infested river walk....you don't give to 5 rings individually and 16-17 as an organization pussy footin around

Raven
02-07-2013, 07:46 AM
dwight should just have surgery now so he can be ready for next season.

Koolaid_Man
02-07-2013, 07:49 AM

go comb your nappy ass hair bitch :lol

ambchang
02-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Best way to speak to a teammate is through the media. Very insightful.

djohn2oo8
02-07-2013, 10:32 AM

That would be full of win imo :rollin

djohn2oo8
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
TBH, Kobe must be giving Dwight SVG flashbacks.

midnightpulp
02-07-2013, 11:25 AM
STFU Bitch...nothing wrong with that dat Nigga...you punks just not use to seeing a real live nigga tell it like it is...yall live in a fantasy world and don't have a clue about what's happening beyond that fucking dirty rat infested river walk....you don't give to 5 rings individually and 16-17 as an organization pussy footin around

The reason Kirby is so insistent Dwight step up and play through the pain is because he knows he's big man dependent.

AaronY
02-07-2013, 11:44 AM
The reason Kirby is so insistent Dwight step up and play through the pain is because he knows he's big man dependent.
Also time is running out on his career obv and his chance to catch MJ in rings. Can't afford to waste a year

Bynumite
02-07-2013, 11:56 AM

When you're trying to make a run for a playoff spot and your options are starting a 7 foot cheerleader in Sacre or D'Antoni's specialty, small ball. I think Dwight playing through pain is your best option tbh.

Bill_Brasky
02-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Treat your body right and it'll treat you right. "Playing through the pain" is probably one of the most retarded things an athlete can do with a semi-serious injury.

mindcrime
02-07-2013, 12:30 PM
I seriously doubt Dwight is going to risk his future just to please Kobe. They have a very, very slim shot at winning it all anyway. In all honesty, what would be the point?

djohn2oo8
02-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Treat your body right and it'll treat you right. "Playing through the pain" is probably one of the most retarded things an athlete can do with a semi-serious injury.

Even more retarded to try and get a big man to play through the pain. Dwight may be the biggest bitch in the league but he still doesn't have a contract. It's not his fault the Lakers are a shit ass team. D'antoni has Kobe, Nash, Clark, MWP, Jamison etc. The job of the coach is to coach and win with who he has. By begging Dwight to come back, he acknowledges he's a shit coach, and by Kobe urging him to come back, he acknowledges he is big man dependent and does not make his teammate better.

djohn2oo8
02-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Dave McMenamin (http://twitter.com/mcten) @mcten (http://twitter.com/mcten) about 7 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/mcten/statuses/299568981877075968)
Dwight on Kobe pressing him to play: "That's his opinion, that's it. He's not a doctor, I'm not a doctor. That's his opinion."

djohn2oo8
02-07-2013, 12:34 PM
"I want to play," Howard said after shootaround Thursday in Boston. "I mean, why wouldn't I want to play? But, at the same time, this is my career, this is my future, this is my life. I can't leave that up to anybody else because nobody else is going to take care of me. So, if people are pissed off that I don't play or if I do play, whatever it may be, so what? This is my career. If I go down, then what? Everybody's life is going to go on. I don't want to have another summer where I'm rehabbing and trying to get healthy again. I want to come back and have another great year. That's what I want to do."

Howard is considered a gametime decision for the Celtics game. 12 minutes ago

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-07-2013, 12:37 PM
When you're trying to make a run for a playoff spot and your options are starting a 7 foot cheerleader in Sacre or D'Antoni's specialty, small ball. I think Dwight playing through pain is your best option tbh.

Best for the Lakers certainly. But if Dwight's not thinking team first (and I think it's a fair assumption he's not) that's one more good reason to sit. Playing hurt could carry the risk of either further injury or just looking bad on the floor without his signature explosiveness. He sits until he's healthy and there's no risk of someone taking his spot in the rotation or even eating into his minutes or touches when he returns.

Koolaid_Man
02-07-2013, 12:43 PM

we're all dependent on something :toast

Koolaid_Man
02-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Kobe and Dwight are not cut from the same cloth when it comes to leadership and toughness....

djohn2oo8
02-07-2013, 12:47 PM
:lol Kobe met with Shaq to ask what he should do about Dwight

Koolaid_Man
02-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Kobe is an OG...he probably knows that Dwight is not hurt anymore but that he's just trying to get in more rest..if Dwight was hurt as bad as he would have you believe you would hear it from Mitch and the LA medical staff...I think Kobe is equating this to him getting a pimple on his face and refusing to go to the prom because of it...Kobe is from the old school he's not of this new generation of soft cats running to the bench for every little scratch. Interesting is that Nash is just like Kobe, they play through pain and always have their whole careers...Nash agrees with Kobe but won't say it because he's more PC than Kobe...

Kobe has been around players all this time and I think he's speaking out because he knows Dwight is being a pussy about this...nothing more nothing less...Dwight will learn to appreciate Kobe later in his life as he looks back on it...

djohn2oo8
02-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Dave McMenamin (http://twitter.com/mcten) @mcten (http://twitter.com/mcten) about 5 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/mcten/statuses/299575913186746369)
Nash on Dwight: "I think everyone has got to play through some pain in this league ..."

Clipper Nation
02-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Dave McMenamin (http://twitter.com/mcten) @mcten (http://twitter.com/mcten) about 7 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/mcten/statuses/299568981877075968)
Dwight on Kobe pressing him to play: "That's his opinion, that's it. He's not a doctor, I'm not a doctor. That's his opinion."

:lmao You can just tell Dwight hates Kirby...

mindcrime
02-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Dave McMenamin (http://twitter.com/mcten) @mcten (http://twitter.com/mcten) about 5 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/mcten/statuses/299575913186746369)
Nash on Dwight: "I think everyone has got to play through some pain in this league ..."

Damn, Kool with the goods and right on the money about how Nash feels.

UZER
02-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Dudes just coming back from back surgery, and now the shoulder...without a contract. He has every right to shut it down to ensure he heals properly. Lets say plays and gets hurt even worse and has to have more surgery, he loses leverage as a free agent. Lets say he plays and does career ending damage...he loses out on all that money.

I'm this situation, he has every right to be selfish. Kobe of all people should know about just looking out for yourself.

I still think he's a puss btw.

StrengthAndHonor
02-07-2013, 01:16 PM
People concerned about Dwight's contract is hilarious. He will get a max next year even if he tears his shoulder tissues to pieces. Bynum has been injury proned most his NBA life and he has yet to play single game this year and y'all know Philadelphia will still offer him a max contract next year.

Dwight needs to do one or the other. If he's really concerned about his health then shut that season down otherwise just stop talking and play when you're ready.

FkLA
02-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Im starting to like Dwight tbh. One of the few players that doesnt just sit there and take Kobes shit.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Im starting to like Dwight tbh. One of the few players that doesnt just sit there and take Kobes shit.

Well, he's at least not taking Kobe's shit about just sitting there.

FkLA
02-07-2013, 01:33 PM

Koolaid_Man
02-07-2013, 01:41 PM

Dwight will play tonight...I guess Kobe's prodding worked :toast

Koolaid_Man
02-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Damn, Kool with the goods and right on the money about how Nash feels.

these guys are from the old school

Koolaid_Man
02-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Damn...my Nigga is kinda harsh but I tell ya he's the last of a dying breed...:lol

"We don't have time for (Howard's shoulder) to heal," Bryant said Wednesday in an exclusive interview with ESPNBoston.com's Jackie MacMullan. "We need some urgency."

That does sound pretty fucking callous...Kobe wants 6 bad....:lol I don't blame my nigga

Koolaid_Man
02-07-2013, 01:45 PM
"Dwight worries too much about what people think," Bryant told MacMullan. "I told him, 'You can't worry about that. It's holding you back.' He says, 'OK, OK, OK,' but it's always hovering around him.

Koolaid_Man
02-07-2013, 01:45 PM
"We don't have three years," Kobe said. "We've got this year."

Mel_13
02-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Here's the full testy exchange when Dwight got annoyed when asked if he has talked to Kobe about his injury ...

Reporter: Have you talked to Kobe about it, just your situation?

Dwight Howard: "What situation?"

Reporter: In terms of your injury and all that?

DH: "Have I talked to Kobe?"

Reporter: Yes, just as far as outlining, like, telling him your perspective?

DH: "Of what?"

Reporter: Of you wanting to take the long view?

DH: "Why do I have to explain that to Kobe?"

Reporter: Well, because he’s a teammate …

DH: "He’s a doctor?"

Reporter: No, but he’s a teammate.

DH: "OK. So I should explain that to all my teammates then, right?"

Reporter: I’m not insinuating that. I’m just asking, have you talked to him?

DH: "I’m asking you …"

Reporter: I don’t know if you’ve talked to him.

DH: "I’m asking you, I’m supposed to tell all my teammates?"

Reporter: No, I’m just asking if you talked to him.

DH: "Just Kobe. Just Kobe."

Reporter: Considering the comments he made yesterday …

DH: "I don’t know what he said."

Reporter No. 2: He says we don’t have time for Dwight’s shoulder to heal. We need urgency. We need him back on the floor. This is the Lakers. It’s either a championship or a complete failure.

DH: "OK."

Reporter No. 2: What do you say to that?

DH: "That’s his opinion."

http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/89fa0ae2-ee2f-4212-9e7e-ec40e68e8888/?source=twitter

Cry Havoc
02-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Here's the full testy exchange when Dwight got annoyed when asked if he has talked to Kobe about his injury ...

Reporter: Have you talked to Kobe about it, just your situation?

Dwight Howard: "What situation?"

Reporter: In terms of your injury and all that?

DH: "Have I talked to Kobe?"

Reporter: Yes, just as far as outlining, like, telling him your perspective?

DH: "Of what?"

Reporter: Of you wanting to take the long view?

DH: "Why do I have to explain that to Kobe?"

Reporter: Well, because he’s a teammate …

DH: "He’s a doctor?"

Reporter: No, but he’s a teammate.

DH: "OK. So I should explain that to all my teammates then, right?"

Reporter: I’m not insinuating that. I’m just asking, have you talked to him?

DH: "I’m asking you …"

Reporter: I don’t know if you’ve talked to him.

DH: "I’m asking you, I’m supposed to tell all my teammates?"

Reporter: No, I’m just asking if you talked to him.

DH: "Just Kobe. Just Kobe."

Reporter: Considering the comments he made yesterday …

DH: "I don’t know what he said."

Reporter No. 2: He says we don’t have time for Dwight’s shoulder to heal. We need urgency. We need him back on the floor. This is the Lakers. It’s either a championship or a complete failure.

DH: "OK."

Reporter No. 2: What do you say to that?

DH: "That’s his opinion."

http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/89fa0ae2-ee2f-4212-9e7e-ec40e68e8888/?source=twitter

Kobe actually becoming a worse teammate as he ages. I thought that wasn't possible. Wow.

djohn2oo8
02-07-2013, 02:14 PM
:lol Homey don't play dat

Kobe Bean Bryant
02-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Our GaWD

Cry Havoc
02-07-2013, 02:18 PM
"I think everyone has got to play through some pain in this league and I'm not sure where Dwight exactly with his (injury), but hopefully he's ready to come back soon," Steve Nash said. "I think it's inevitable he's going to feel some discomfort and pain."

The full Nash quote is a LOT more cautious.

Bynumite
02-07-2013, 02:32 PM
All of a sudden ST is so worried about Dwight's injuries and well being... it's adorable. During the last offseason spurfan could lynch this nigga for joining the Lakers :lol

Spurfan displaying that fake class as usual and pretending to give a fuck about Dwight when we all know why they want to see that nigga off the court :lol

#Injurytroppers :lol

djohn2oo8
02-07-2013, 02:34 PM
All of a sudden ST is so worried about Dwight's injuries and well being... it's adorable. During the last offseason spurfan could lynch this nigga for joining the Lakers :lol

Spurfan displaying that fake class as usual and pretending to give a fuck about Dwight when we all know why they want to see that nigga off the court :lol

#Injurytroppers
This ain't about last year dawg.

Clipper Nation
02-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Dwight being ON the court certainly hasn't worried anyone, since the Lakers are under .500 and Dwight's injury gets reaggravated every three games anyway :lol

Clipper Nation
02-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Kobe actually becoming a worse teammate as he ages. I thought that wasn't possible. Wow.
Kirby is like the Benjamin Button of the NBA, getting LESS mature by the year :lol

midnightpulp
02-07-2013, 03:02 PM

Damn right. I'm disappointed his shoulder injury wasn't more serious. Dwight returning gives Lakers' fans a glimmer of hope that they can still make the playoffs, and some of the more deluded fans might believe they can pull off a 1st round upset and make a run. If Dwight shuts it down, the Lakers' chances of making the playoffs plummet and they have zero chance at making any noise in the post-season.

I want you fuckers hopeless.

Cry Havoc
02-07-2013, 03:03 PM

What? No one is "worried" about him. It's simply an observation that it's stupid to play with a serious injury when he has the rest of his career to think about.

You want to risk the career of your all-world center on a season that's already sinking? Go right ahead.

midnightpulp
02-07-2013, 03:06 PM
What? No one is "worried" about him. It's simply an observation that it's stupid to play with a serious injury when he has the rest of his career to think about.

You want to risk the career of your all-world center on a season that's already sinking? Go right ahead.

They do.

They know if they miss the playoffs with the most overhyped and expensive roster in league history, there's going to be hell to pay from Lakers haters.

Cry Havoc
02-07-2013, 03:07 PM
They do.

They know if they miss the playoffs with the most overhyped and expensive roster in league history, there's going to be hell to pay from Lakers haters.

Actually I think it's more along the lines of they know Dwight will walk, and they'd rather sacrifice the rest of his career now in order to make one half-assed playoff run than lose him in his prime to Houston/Brooklyn/etc.

Raven
02-07-2013, 03:09 PM

it's exactly because we're not worried at all, it just seems so dumb to waste time on a lost season knowing he's just a drag to his team anyway..

Mugen
02-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Dwight droppin' truth loads all over that interview. "Is he a doctor?" :lol

Mugen
02-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Dave McMenamin @mcten Nash on Dwight: "I think everyone has got to play through some pain in this league ..."

:lol even Nash piling it on Da-Wight. GTFO of this mess in the summer, Dwight. Not worth it to have a career-long loser and the NBA's all time great coattailer taking shots at you in the media every time some fucktard puts a mic in their face.

spurraider21
02-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Laker nation will have a shit fit if Dwight misses the celtics game and they lose. Kobe will be even more loose lipped if they lose to the C's

LkrFan
02-07-2013, 04:29 PM
You're smarter than that mid. Act like it son.

djohn2oo8
02-07-2013, 04:42 PM
You're smarter than that mid. Act like it son.

Struck a nerve?

hater
02-07-2013, 04:46 PM
:lol @ Metta being the voice of reason in that bukkake of a team:
"He's doing great and [he is] a great teammate," World Peace said. "He's out there, he had a couple 20-20 games and is averaging 18 and 11 or something like that playing hurt coming off that back surgery. I would say he's a soldier and I'm not going to question his injury. He's hurt to me. We have to go out there and we have to hold it down for him."

hater
02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
"Just rub a baby fetus on it" - Kobe Bryant

Thebesteva
02-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Awesome. You can always count on Kobe to put the cancer back in the locker room.

Try telling that to Laker fans who are applauding Kobe for basically ensuring Dwight leaves after this Summer. InB4 Dwight looks amazing in Dallas or Brooklyn next year and Laker fans are crying that we should of kept him.

Mugen
02-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Dave McMenamin @mcten Dwight on Kobe's criticism: "Why does he need me to play so bad? To rebound all his f***** misses?"

:wow

LkrFan
02-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Struck a nerve?
Nah, I'm just calling out nonsense.

Nice sig BTW. :toast

djohn2oo8
02-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Dave McMenamin @mcten Dwight on Kobe's criticism: "Why does he need me to play so bad? To rebound all his f***** misses?"

Don't see that tweet anywhere. Nice try.

Koolaid_Man
02-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Damn right. I'm disappointed his shoulder injury wasn't more serious. Dwight returning gives Lakers' fans a glimmer of hope that they can still make the playoffs, and some of the more deluded fans might believe they can pull off a 1st round upset and make a run. If Dwight shuts it down, the Lakers' chances of making the playoffs plummet and they have zero chance at making any noise in the post-season.

I want you fuckers hopeless.

So if Kobe rings this year without Gasol and Dwight..if they're both hurt and sitting...would you say he's the best ever? Where do rank him if he pulled something like that off?

midnightpulp
02-07-2013, 05:25 PM
So if Kobe rings this year without Gasol and Dwight..if they're both hurt and sitting...would you say he's the best ever? Where do rank him if he pulled something like that off?

Not close to the best ever. But it would definitely bolster his legacy. He'd go from 10th all time to 6th, finally surpassing Duncan and Shaq.

Koolaid_Man
02-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Not close to the best ever. But it would definitely bolster his legacy. He'd go from 10th all time to 6th, finally surpassing Duncan and Shaq.

You only give him 6th ...ringing with no Bigs at all and a 40 yr old PG? Tell me how ya really feel :lol

midnightpulp
02-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Nah, I'm just calling out nonsense.

Nice sig BTW. :toast

It's not nonsense. Kobe Bryant has never won a championship without a top 2 big man or the best overall frontline (as was the case with Gasol, Bynum, and Odom) in basketball.

Not hating here. It's a fact. For all but three years of his career, Kobe has had the luxury to play alongside the best bigs in the NBA.

- Shaq (best big in the league during the 3 peat. Other years he was either the best big or 2nd behind Duncan)
- Gasol (when he came to LA, he was probably the 2nd best low post PF in the league behind Duncan)
- Odom (one of the most versatile forwards in the NBA)
- Bynum (emerged as the 2nd best center in the league sometime around '10)
- Howard (sure, he's been disappointing and injured thus far, but he's pretty much the best center in the league by default. And if he resigns, and regains his athleticism, the Lakers will once again be a threat)

When you step back and consider the big men the Lakers have acquired over the past 20 years, it's kind of unfair :lol

To put it somewhat in perspective, this would be like Duncan playing with Kobe (Shaq), then after Kobe declines (for the sake of the argument, let's say Kobe was 5 years older), he gets a healthy T-Mac (Gasol) in addition to Manu (Lamar Odom) and Tony Parker (Andrew Bynum). Then Tony Parker is traded for Kevin Durant (Dwight Howard). And yes, I know the last comparison seems silly as this point, but Howard was insanely hyped pre-season and considered the 3rd best player in the league.

Real talk. This is why the comparisons to Jordan are ridiculous. Throughout his career, Jordan played with one star and one star only. Scottie Pippen. And he never had the luxury of playing with an all-star big man in an era that was loaded with great bigs. On the other hand, Kobe has been fed top tier, all-star talent the majority of his career.

spurraider21
02-07-2013, 06:08 PM

Yes. If kobe rings without Dwight or Pau I will call him the best basketball player ever. Heck, I know for sure its not going to happen so I'll even concede he's the best football, hockey, and baseball player ever too if he rings without those guys this year

Cry Havoc
02-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Real talk. This is why the comparisons to Jordan are ridiculous. Throughout his career, Jordan played with one star and one star only. Scottie Pippen. And he never had the luxury of playing with an all-star big man in an era that was loaded with great bigs. On the other hand, Kobe has been fed top tier, all-star talent the majority of his career.

It's an important distinction to make that Jordan DID have good teams. Emphasis on GOOD. Not insane. Not stacked. Not loaded (with the exception of the 70+ win team). Just a very good team and a very good system around him that he took to 6 titles. Jordan knew how to get the most out of role players. Kobe, on the other hand, routinely gets the least out of superstar players, because he doesn't know how to really lead.

Kobe is one of the most incredible individual players of all-time. But he isn't a leader. He never has been, and honestly it seems like from his behavior that he never thought it was important to do so. Kobe sees one thing. The ball going in the rim. That's all he pays heed to, like a player based purely on instinct. It's never really dawned on him that the mental aspect of basketball includes more than just putting yourself in position to score as much as possible. Even when he tried to change his role and be the assist man -- he's hogging that too. Nash has had one triple digit assist game in his last 11 games, and for four games straight had 5 or less. Steve Nash. It's unreal that Kobe could make even Nash that much less effective of a player. I didn't think that was possible, given Nash's knack for facilitating the game so well. But Kobe has managed to dominate even Steve Nash, while Nash is on the same team.

FYM
02-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Of course he is challenging him, nice way to fuck up his career and future contract and to keep the hand on the lakers

LkrFan
02-07-2013, 07:15 PM
It's not nonsense. Kobe Bryant has never won a championship without a top 2 big man or the best overall frontline (as was the case with Gasol, Bynum, and Odom) in basketball.

Not hating here. It's a fact. For all but three years of his career, Kobe has had the luxury to play alongside the best bigs in the NBA.

- Shaq (best big in the league during the 3 peat. Other years he was either the best big or 2nd behind Duncan)
- Gasol (when he came to LA, he was probably the 2nd best low post PF in the league behind Duncan)
- Odom (one of the most versatile forwards in the NBA)
- Bynum (emerged as the 2nd best center in the league sometime around '10)
- Howard (sure, he's been disappointing and injured thus far, but he's pretty much the best center in the league by default. And if he resigns, and regains his athleticism, the Lakers will once again be a threat)

When you step back and consider the big men the Lakers have acquired over the past 20 years, it's kind of unfair :lol

To put it somewhat in perspective, this would be like Duncan playing with Kobe (Shaq), then after Kobe declines (for the sake of the argument, let's say Kobe was 5 years older), he gets a healthy T-Mac (Gasol) in addition to Manu (Lamar Odom) and Tony Parker (Andrew Bynum). Then Tony Parker is traded for Kevin Durant (Dwight Howard). And yes, I know the last comparison seems silly as this point, but Howard was insanely hyped pre-season and considered the 3rd best player in the league.

I'm not going to argue any of the above (I can't do it honestly). What I will say is that I am a big proponent of perimeter defense. Take those Bulls teams that MJ had. The common denominator for all 6 rangs? Elite perimeter defense. Perimeter defense allowed Pippen (best defender I've ever seen) and MJ (great defender) suffocate offenses that are dependent on their guards to get into their offenses. On offense, MJ stood 6'6" and Pippen stood 6'8" - so they were both lethal on the block.

You may be saying that what about MJ keeping HOF bigs like Shaq, Ewing, Daughtery (HOF?), Mailman, and the Dream (until MJ retired at least), etc., etc. from winning chips while MJ was a Bull? By suffocating their offenses from the perimeter and they made it hard to get elite bigs the ball so that they can do their damage. And when they did do damage, they ended up wore down. How? The Bulls had around 18-24 "strategic" fouls to use on bigs like Shaq from doing too much damage. Also, MJ and Pip were oftens way better than their counterparts, so when they took their man off the dribble to the hole, it ended up in either a dunk (Pip's dunk on Ewing still makes me laugh out loud when I see it on YouTube), or an And-1, which means foul trouble for their bigs.

But back to Kobe. Again, what you said is true. He has been lucky to play with talented bigs. The Lakers' MO is to win chips with good or great bigs. One gripe with your post: Pau. When he was 0-12 in the playoffs, you and most Spur fans thought nothing of him. Pair him with Kobe, and all of a sudden you put him in the same category as Shaq. Before Kobe, Shaq was swept in the Finals. After Kobe, he won one rang in a fixed Finals with Wade. Before Kobe, Pau was 0-12 (many of them losses to your Spurs). Time will tell what Pau will be like after Kobe. So apparently, Kobe made Pau and Shaq better. Admit it.

LkrFan
02-07-2013, 07:21 PM
It's an important distinction to make that Jordan DID have good teams. Emphasis on GOOD. Not insane. Not stacked. Not loaded (with the exception of the 70+ win team). Just a very good team and a very good system around him that he took to 6 titles. Jordan knew how to get the most out of role players. Kobe, on the other hand, routinely gets the least out of superstar players, because he doesn't know how to really lead.

Kobe is one of the most incredible individual players of all-time. But he isn't a leader. He never has been, and honestly it seems like from his behavior that he never thought it was important to do so. Kobe sees one thing. The ball going in the rim. That's all he pays heed to, like a player based purely on instinct. It's never really dawned on him that the mental aspect of basketball includes more than just putting yourself in position to score as much as possible. Even when he tried to change his role and be the assist man -- he's hogging that too. Nash has had one triple digit assist game in his last 11 games, and for four games straight had 5 or less. Steve Nash. It's unreal that Kobe could make even Nash that much less effective of a player. I didn't think that was possible, given Nash's knack for facilitating the game so well. But Kobe has managed to dominate even Steve Nash, while Nash is on the same team.

Agreed with everything but the bold. ;)

Cry Havoc
02-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Agreed with everything but the bold. ;)

Lawl. That would be a hell of a game. XD

LkrFan
02-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Lawl. That would be a hell of a game. XD

ElNono
02-07-2013, 08:08 PM
So Dwight is playing and Kirby didn't even have to call him a pussy (yet)?

Wasn't this whole sitting out about his career? :rolleyes

dbreiden83080
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Watching first take this morning SAS was saying “He can’t fault Howard for not pushing it with this injury because he has 100 mil coming to him this summer” I will be amazed at any team that is stupid enough to give this clown that kind of commitment. He has been hurt this year, openly admitting his back injury is not healed, now he has a shoulder injury and oh yeah the Lakers have been awful all year long with Howard having a horrendous season. He was supposed to be the final piece to a championship puzzle instead he has whined and moaned through a dreadful injury filled season that may result in the Lakers missing the playoffs... Anyone that is dumb enough to committ big money to Howard you have my sympathies... Some people need to get their heads around that Howard is not a franchise player. He is mentally weak and too limited offensively to build a championship team around.

NRHector
02-07-2013, 10:30 PM
the strategy backfired on kobe :lol

ElNono
02-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Mike D'Antoni also informed us on @TWCSportsNet that Dwight's been cleared to play for awhile...tonight he just decided to play...

dbreiden83080
02-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Mike D'Antoni also informed us on @TWCSportsNet that Dwight's been cleared to play for awhile...tonight he just decided to play...

"Is the season over yet"?

"Can i have my 100 mil now"?

bigfan
02-07-2013, 11:39 PM
So why is Howard wearing that black shit under his uniform?

Bynumite
02-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Dude's on the court but mentally he already checked out.

Thebesteva
02-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Dude's on the court but mentally he already checked out.

It's disgusting news to see Howard has been cleared to play but refuses to. I guess when you have two locker room cancers playing on the same team and a cancerous owner this is what you get.

mavs>spurs
02-08-2013, 12:01 AM
^damn i wonder what kind of bean caused, cholesterol ridden blood was pumping through your little brain whenever you decided to make that shit ass excuse of a troll and actually thought it would be a good idea.

pls add me as a beneficiary on your life insurance policy and proceed to choke yourself to death with kobe's mamba you piece of shit

Thebesteva
02-08-2013, 12:08 AM
^damn i wonder what kind of bean caused, cholesterol ridden blood was pumping through your little brain whenever you decided to make that shit ass excuse of a troll and actually thought it would be a good idea.

pls add me as a beneficiary on your life insurance policy and proceed to choke yourself to death with kobe's mamba you piece of shit

WTF r u talking bout? Too many guys here that learned how to unlock the safe search on their parents computers.

spurraider21
02-08-2013, 12:48 AM
i don't get the hate for jim buss? how do you hate buss but not hate kupchak?

so when the lakers make a trade its "kupchak will make them pay for basketball reasons" but when those moves bust "jim buss is a cancer" lmao

Clipper Nation
02-08-2013, 01:13 AM
So why is Howard wearing that black shit under his uniform?

Mourning the death of the Lakers' season, tbh....

Dex
02-08-2013, 01:36 AM
:lol D'Antoni playing Howard down 30 with 8 minutes to go on the first night of a B2B.

lefty
04-23-2013, 03:28 AM
Bump

:lol Karma is a bitch
:lol Kobe gives shit to BK for not playing through injury
:lol gets injured before the playoffs
:lol misses the playoffs
:lol alone in a hospital with a poor innocent white nurse
:lol another raping case coming up
:lol double whammy

Thread
04-23-2013, 06:35 AM