PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Frontrunners to acquire Al Jefferson

irishock
02-06-2013, 06:22 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225982/Report-Spurs-Could-Trade-For-Al-Jefferson

The San Antonio Spurs are the frontrunners to acquire Al Jefferson, according to a report.
Jefferson will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason and the Utah Jazz are unlikely to re-sign them.
“Those teams are practically incestuous, they are on such good terms internally,” one NBA source said.
Dennis Lindsey, current GM of the Jazz, is formerly of the Spurs' front office.

lefty
02-06-2013, 06:23 PM
lol no

He will go to a big market

midnightpulp
02-06-2013, 06:31 PM
"Presumably they’d also ask for Tiago Splitter, because somebody would need to back up Kanter, and because Splitter is having an improved season in the year his contract expires – meaning Utah would not be taking on any long-term financial obligation."

While Big Al is definitely the better individual player than Splitter, I'm not sure I want to give up Tiago, who's playing very good basketball right now and nice fits nicely in the Spurs system.

But then again, the Spurs aren't winning the championship as currently constructed, so it might be worth the gamble. Jefferson is the best low post big in the NBA not named Duncan or Gasol.

midnightpulp
02-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Oh, and Jefferson is about the worst defensive big in the NBA. One of the main reasons the Spurs interior defense has vastly improved this season is because of Splitter's mobility and activity. Duncan and Jefferson would get annihilated in pick-n-roll situations.

KL2
02-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Splitter>>>AJ, AJ is putting up better numbers however his defense is horrendous.

whitemamba
02-06-2013, 06:38 PM
jefferson is a solid player. deserves to get paid, but his defense is a liability..

DeadlyDynasty
02-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Splitter>>>AJ

You are stupid.

KL2
02-06-2013, 06:52 PM
You are stupid.

Splitter is scoring 11PPG and 6 RPG on 60% shooting in just 23 mpg, Splitter is no scrub.

Aj is putting up 17 & 10 on 47% shooting in 33 mpg.

AJ practically gives up as many points as he scores on defense. There is a reason SA has the 4th ranked defense, it's the pairing of Splitter-Duncan. Last year they were ranked I think at 15.

stretch
02-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Splitter>>>AJ, AJ is putting up better numbers however his defense is horrendous.

You are stupid.

Agreed.

Perhaps Splitter is a better fit for the Spurs, but certainly not superior to Al Jefferson.

And how much longer is Timmy intending to play? if he ends up retiring in the next year or two for some reason, AJ would be a nice replacement to continue trying to be competitive while Parker and Ginobili are still productive.

stretch
02-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Splitter is scoring 11PPG and 6 RPG on 60% shooting in just 23 mpg, Splitter is no scrub.

Aj is putting up 17 & 10 on 47% shooting in 33 mpg.

AJ practically gives up as many points as he scores on defense. There is a reason SA has the 4th ranked defense, it's the pairing of Splitter-Duncan. Last year they were ranked I think at 15.

AJ also has to create basically all the offense for himself and a lot for his team.

Splitter can just sit around and do clean up work off of whatever Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, and others don't accomplish.

LittleCriminal
02-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Jackson,Blair and Joseph for Al Jefferson... throw in Bonner's ass too!

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-trade-brewing-between-jazz-and-spurs/

DPG21920
02-06-2013, 07:52 PM
AJ also has to create basically all the offense for himself and a lot for his team.

Splitter can just sit around and do clean up work off of whatever Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, and others don't accomplish.

I don't think you have watched him play. While he may get assisted a lot, it's really because of his superior PnR play. He doesn't just get off rebounds/garbage points, they go to him quite frequently in PnR situations and he delivers. He's also improved (even if it is strange looking) at iso-low post plays.

DPG21920
02-06-2013, 07:52 PM

I don't think you have watched him play. While he may get assisted a lot, it's really because of his superior PnR play. He doesn't just get off rebounds/garbage points, they go to him quite frequently in PnR situations and he delivers. He's also improved (even if it is strange looking) at iso-low post plays.

Not to mention he is a much better passer than Al as well. I would wager that Tiago's %'s in the low block are better than Al's along with at the rim. Al is a much more smooth, polished player on the low block but where he has Tiago beat is his ability to face up from 15 feet and shoot in addition to handling the ball and driving.

LakerHater
02-06-2013, 08:13 PM
I hope they'll take Blair for Jefferson!

SpurSwag
02-06-2013, 08:34 PM
if we can pull this off without losing tiago, do it by all means necessary. If we could somehow convince Al to be the anchor of the second unit, that'd be fantastic

irishock
02-06-2013, 08:36 PM
I hope they'll take Blair for Jefferson!

Only the Lakers can get that type of value

Reck
02-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Oh, and Jefferson is about the worst defensive big in the NBA. One of the main reasons the Spurs interior defense has vastly improved this season is because of Splitter's mobility and activity. Duncan and Jefferson would get annihilated in pick-n-roll situations.

I'd still take a chance.

KaiRMD1
02-06-2013, 11:43 PM
With the way Splitter is improving, hells to the no.

Monostradamus
02-07-2013, 12:32 AM
I would absolutely say Splitter > Al without thinking twice. Post scoring is nice, but Splitter's entire package is far more attractive than Jefferson's one trick pony act.

Juggity
02-07-2013, 12:35 AM
You are stupid.

Al's defense speaks for itself.

Splitter may not be

>>>AJ

But for the Spurs, he's definitely

>AJ

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2013, 12:38 AM
defense and rebounding...does AL do any of that?

even though splitters defense and reb can easily be replace by the emergence of baynes how quickly he fits into the system

SpursIndonesia
02-07-2013, 12:49 AM
defense and rebounding...does AL do any of that?

even though splitters defense and reb can easily be replace by the emergence of baynes how quickly he fits into the system

IMHO, Big Al is actually a decent one on one defender in the post, and not bad help defender from the weakside, it's his PnR defense that truly horrendous, while that play is exactly the main playbook of todays NBA. Playing in the late 80's-early 90's, i think he will be more than okay defensively. And his rebounding, while not otherworldly, is stil BETTER than Splitter ever was up to this point.

He's a very good post player & bigman, actually well worth his 14 mil salary, it's just he's a bad fit for a team like Spurs of today.

rayjayjohnson
02-07-2013, 01:49 AM
phenomenal pickup if the spurs can get big al. i love his game, and he'll BEAST in the black and silver

Latarian Milton
02-07-2013, 02:03 AM
al is overrated and the spurs should've learned a lesson from the other jefferson that they acquired a few years ago, which was a pure blunder. dude might look good for certain teams but im not fully convinced he will be the right one for spurs tbh, and his salary would be a burden to them spurs who're financially tightened.

SpursIndonesia
02-07-2013, 08:22 AM
al is overrated and the spurs should've learned a lesson from the other jefferson that they acquired a few years ago, which was a pure blunder. dude might look good for certain teams but im not fully convinced he will be the right one for spurs tbh, and his salary would be a burden to them spurs who're financially tightened.

As a Duncan replacement, i think he will actually thrive as a Spur. Too bad (and great for us Spurs fans), TD's signed to 2015.

Raven
02-07-2013, 08:38 AM
no need to go old now that splitter proved us he can be a cornerstone for the franchise.

SpursIndonesia
02-07-2013, 08:58 AM
no need to go old now that splitter proved us he can be a cornerstone for the franchise.

Big Al is about the same age as Splitter, though he does have much more NBA mileage on those legs & body (AFAIK he's quite durable and not a monkeyballer).

DeadlyDynasty
02-07-2013, 01:58 PM

:lmao I love how you can plug any player into Pop's Fool's Gold Machine and Spurfan immediately thinks he's a cornerstone player.

Brunodf
02-07-2013, 02:02 PM

:lol This guy is dumb.
AJ is the third worst defensive player in the league.
AJ shots 44% in the post, Splitter 46%.
AJ has given up the second most points per possession in the PnR, Splitter allows the fewest points per possession.
Splitter FG% 60% vs AJ 48%

Trainwreck2100
02-07-2013, 02:03 PM
:lmao I love how you can plug any player into Pop's Fool's Gold Machine and Spurfan immediately thinks he's a cornerstone player.

As opposed to :cry save us with your one arm Dwight Howard :cry

Cry Havoc
02-07-2013, 02:09 PM
That's a tough call. In a bubble, Jefferson is a better player than Splitter. However, Splitter and Tim have great chemistry and anchor the 3rd best defense in the league. I'd be hesitant to make any move that jeopardizes that.

DeadlyDynasty
02-07-2013, 02:12 PM
I would not trade RJ for Carmelo cause I don't wanna mess with the chemistry

Cry Havoc
02-07-2013, 02:16 PM
I would not trade RJ for Carmelo cause I don't wanna mess with the chemistry

:cry If only we had one more all-star on our team we would be unstoppable. :cry

stretch
02-07-2013, 02:19 PM
:lol This guy is dumb.
AJ is the third worst defensive player in the league.
AJ shots 44% in the post, Splitter 46%.
AJ has given up the second most points per possession in the PnR, Splitter allows the fewest points per possession.
Splitter FG% 60% vs AJ 48%

Splitter also has the luxury of playing alongside an all-star PG, all-star wingman, and all-star big man, all of whom are going to be in the hall of fame.

AJ is the best player on his team.

I agree that Splitter is most likely a better fit for the Spurs. But as an individual basketball player? As a guy to lead a team? AJ > Splitter every day of the week.

stretch
02-07-2013, 02:20 PM
That's a tough call. In a bubble, Jefferson is a better player than Splitter. However, Splitter and Tim have great chemistry and anchor the 3rd best defense in the league. I'd be hesitant to make any move that jeopardizes that.

This.

Brunodf
02-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Splitter also has the luxury of playing alongside an all-star PG, all-star wingman, and all-star big man, all of whom are going to be in the hall of fame.

AJ is the best player on his team.

I agree that Splitter is most likely a better fit for the Spurs. But as an individual basketball player? As a guy to lead a team? AJ > Splitter every day of the week.

Yeah but to say that Splitter just "sit around" is stupid tbh. And we don't need someone to take away shots from Parker/Manu/Timmy tbh...

FkLA
02-07-2013, 02:35 PM
People have clearly not seen Splitter play much tbh. Like DPG said, the golden god is arguably the best finishing big man in the pick and roll game. Hes also statistically the best at defending it. His low post game isnt bad either, Duncans resurgence this year has limited his touches in the post but I know last year he was statistically better than Timmy. I dont think calling him a solid, 15 and 10 starting caliber center is farfetched tbh.

Al is the better, more explosive offensive player but considering our offense is explosive enough as is Id rather keep the golden god.

Clipper Nation
02-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Not as funny as how Mitch Kupcake (and Lakerfan) thinks that buying all the biggest names guarantees chemistry and success :lol

stretch
02-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Yeah but to say that Splitter just "sit around" is stupid tbh. And we don't need someone to take away shots from Parker/Manu/Timmy tbh...

So you think Splitter is someone you can consistently rely on to be a serious contributor in points? Like I'm talking a top 2 scoring option on a playoff team, the way Jefferson is?

I agree completely and said multiple times that Splitter fits better most likely with the Spurs current setup, can you not read? But my reply was to the idiot that said Spliter >>>>>>>>>>> Jefferson. That's just a load of crap.

People have clearly not seen Splitter play much tbh. Like DPG said, the golden god is arguably the best finishing big man in the pick and roll game. Hes also statistically the best at defending it. His low post game isnt bad either, Duncans resurgence this year has limited his touches in the post but I know last year he was statistically better than Timmy. I dont think calling him a solid, 15 and 10 starting caliber center is farfetched tbh.

Al is the better, more explosive offensive player but considering our offense is explosive enough as is Id rather keep the golden god.

I don't think Splitter is a 15/10 center on most squads. He is in an absolutely perfect situation with the Spurs. But replace Al Jefferson with Splitter on the Jazz? Sure he might get 15/10, but they would be a meaningless 15/10 as the Jazz would likely be in the running for the #1 overall pick, while Jefferson is putting up 15/10 type of numbers and getting to the playoffs.

Jefferson provides a number of elements that Splitter can't provide for most teams. Again, he is just in a perfect situation with the Spurs where he provides exactly what the Spurs need from his position.

stretch
02-07-2013, 03:04 PM

I have never seen a coach that somehow finds ways to turn average talent into solid role players the way Popovich does. It is incredibly rare for a player to play in San Antonio, and not be successful (in terms of their own personal contributions). He is an amazing coach.

I have no doubt in my mind, that if guys like Splitter, Leonard, George Hill, and others all started their careers in different organizations, not a single one of them would have turned out the way they currently have. He just seems to find a way to get the best out of his players, and give them the confidence they need to be successful.

Cry Havoc
02-07-2013, 03:10 PM

Saltier than the dead sea. That sub .500 superstar team starting to wear on you? :lol

FkLA
02-07-2013, 03:15 PM
So you think Splitter is someone you can consistently rely on to be a serious contributor in points? Like I'm talking a top 2 scoring option on a playoff team, the way Jefferson is?

I agree completely and said multiple times that Splitter fits better most likely with the Spurs current setup, can you not read? But my reply was to the idiot that said Spliter >>>>>>>>>>> Jefferson. That's just a load of crap.

I don't think Splitter is a 15/10 center on most squads. He is in an absolutely perfect situation with the Spurs. But replace Al Jefferson with Splitter on the Jazz? Sure he might get 15/10, but they would be a meaningless 15/10 as the Jazz would likely be in the running for the #1 overall pick, while Jefferson is putting up 15/10 type of numbers and getting to the playoffs.

Jefferson provides a number of elements that Splitter can't provide for most teams. Again, he is just in a perfect situation with the Spurs where he provides exactly what the Spurs need from his position.

What number of elements? Hes a better offensive player that demands and draws more attention and double teams than Splitter, Ill give you that. Which is kind of a big deal but I dont think its elite enough to were you can just overlook his terrible defense (i.e. Dirk). What other elements does he bring though ?

midnightpulp
02-07-2013, 03:19 PM

I wouldn't call Pop's system a "Fool's gold machine." The only thing (and it's a pretty big thing) holding this Spurs team back from raping the league is the lack of a superstar. Put a 27 year old Duncan and a '05 Ginobili in there, and it's GG NBA. Even then, they still wouldn't be as talented as Miami and OKC on paper, but they still beat either of those teams in a 7 game series because they run a better system.

FWIW, I think Pop's a better coach now than when he was winning championships.

DeadlyDynasty
02-07-2013, 03:24 PM
I have never seen a coach that somehow finds ways to turn average talent into solid role players the way Popovich does. It is incredibly rare for a player to play in San Antonio, and not be successful (in terms of their own personal contributions). He is an amazing coach.

I have no doubt in my mind, that if guys like Splitter, Leonard, George Hill, and others all started their careers in different organizations, not a single one of them would have turned out the way they currently have. He just seems to find a way to get the best out of his players, and give them the confidence they need to be successful.

This is what Spurfan (most of them, anyways) will never understand. Pop's system is amazing at maximizing their scrub talent, but at the end of the day scrubs are scrubs. Splitter wouldn't be nearly as effective anywhere else in the NBA--and Danny Green, Gary Neal, as well as others would be straight up unemployed. Scrubs always end up showing their true colors. See 2012 WCF.

FkLA
02-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Green and Neal are alot more limited than Splitter.

stretch
02-07-2013, 03:29 PM
What number of elements? Hes a better offensive player that demands and draws more attention and double teams than Splitter, Ill give you that. Which is kind of a big deal but I dont think its elite enough to were you can just overlook his terrible defense (i.e. Dirk). What other elements does he bring though ?

Drawing attention and double teams is one of the best aspects a player can bring to the game, so I'm not sure why you are trying to minimize that. It makes the entire game easier for the rest of the team.

But if we really want to break it all down...

low post game
high post game
jumper
ball handling
footwork
leadership
experience
drawing defensive attention
athleticism
offensive rebounding
defensive rebounding
shot-blocking
offensive efficiency

Every single one of those aspects he either is statistically superior in every way possible, or has obviously proven to be superior to Splitter at.

stretch
02-07-2013, 03:31 PM
This is what Spurfan (most of them, anyways) will never understand. Pop's system is amazing at maximizing their scrub talent, but at the end of the day scrubs are scrubs. Splitter wouldn't be nearly as effective anywhere else in the NBA--and Danny Green, Gary Neal, as well as others would be straight up unemployed. Scrubs always end up showing their true colors. See 2012 WCF.

:tu

Green and Neal are alot more limited than Splitter.

I would agree with that. Splitter is still just an average basketball player at best. He might have certain needs he fits well, but is not a special player in any way.

FkLA
02-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Drawing attention and double teams is one of the best aspects a player can bring to the game, so I'm not sure why you are trying to minimize that. It makes the entire game easier for the rest of the team.

How am I minimizing it when I said it was kind of a big deal. I simply said hes not good enough offensively for his defense to be overlooked, like Dirk for example who was such an elite offensive player that he was still one of the best players in the league despite his D.

But if we really want to break it all down...

low post game
high post game
jumper
ball handling
footwork
leadership
experience
drawing defensive attention
athleticism
offensive rebounding
defensive rebounding
shot-blocking
offensive efficiency

Every single one of those aspects he either is statistically superior in every way possible, or has obviously proven to be superior to Splitter at.

About half of those things Al has a minimal advantage in, or possibly even a disadvantage (simply plays more mpg) . Leadership and experience are just lol. Bringing up ball handling when comparing a center and a PF/C whos bread and butter is his post game is just dumb. Im not saying Splitter is better than Al, but Splitter is far from a scrub or even just an average NBA player. Hes the starting center for alot of teams imo.

FkLA
02-07-2013, 03:51 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/tiago-splitter-comfortable-own-house-flourishing-san-antonio-190146616--nba.html

good read tbh :tu

DeadlyDynasty
02-07-2013, 03:54 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/tiago-splitter-comfortable-own-house-flourishing-san-antonio-190146616--nba.html

good read tbh :tu

Title says it all, as well as the first couple paragraphs I read. Decent player in a great situation.

Brunodf
02-07-2013, 03:57 PM

:lmaoThinking that Pop's system makes bigs look better than they really are, go watch some games

midnightpulp
02-07-2013, 04:01 PM

That's what a good system does. While Phil Jackson is more renown for always having loaded teams, his system also maximized scrub talent. Brian Shaw and Ron Harper were corpses for LA's first title run, and Jackson was able to squeeze everything they had left out of them. Bulls teams also had their share of scrubs who stepped up: Steve Kerr, Luc Longley (the Bulls version of Splitter), etc.

stretch
02-07-2013, 04:04 PM
How am I minimizing it when I said it was kind of a big deal. I simply said hes not good enough offensively for his defense to be overlooked, like Dirk for example who was such an elite offensive player that he was still one of the best players in the league despite his D.

How many great players in NBA history played consistently great on both sides of the ball? Just think of many of the greats over the past 30 years.

Magic
Bird
Kareem
Erving
Barkley
Malone
Stockton
Wilkins
Jordan
Pippen
Olajuwon
Miller
Iverson
Garnett
Kidd
Thomas
Ewing
Robinson
Duncan
Shaq
Dirk
Pierce
Nash
Kobe
Lebron
Wade

The only ones on that list who were known for consistently playing well on both ends is MJ, Pippen, Stockton (overrated defender), Olajuwon, Robinson, Garnett, Kidd, Lebron, and Duncan. That's 9 out of 26 transcendent stars over the past 30 years. Now many of the others showed an ability to step up defensively and be at least decent when needed, but if we are honest, that is basically every single player that plays basketball. Most of the ones who don't play consistent defense, its usually because they are A) saving their energy for offense and end of game defense, B) lazy and don't really care, or C) at a disadvantage athletically.

And just how many players in the NBA right now, are leaders of their team, and also happen to be the teams top defender along with top scoring threat? The only one that comes to my mind is Lebron.

So I think you can overlook his defense a bit. Give him an elite defender like Duncan to play alongside, and perhaps his defense improves? It's not particularly easy to have a strong defensive frontcourt when you play alongside Paul Millsap, or are consistently asked to play out of position (being an undersized center).

About half of those things Al has a minimal advantage in, or possibly even a disadvantage (simply plays more mpg) . Leadership and experience are just lol. Bringing up ball handling when comparing a center and a PF/C whos bread and butter is his post game is just dumb.

Which things are minimal or even a disadvantage, due to MPG? Why don't you go look up the stats in terms of %'s and per 36 minute stats, and more of the advanced stats, then get back to me on that, ok?

When I say ball handling, I'm not talking about dribbling the ball up the court like a PG. I'm talking about the ability to maintain solid control of the ball when faced with double teams and traps, or athletes who like to pickpocket you instead of playing defense. Al can handle all those things better than Splitter, and those are all things that big men have to face consistently if they are looking to score points.

Im not saying Splitter is better than Al, but Splitter is far from a scrub or even just an average NBA player. Hes the starting center for alot of teams imo.

average

stretch
02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Title says it all, as well as the first couple paragraphs I read. Decent player in a great situation.

Exactly what i noticed as well lol

DeadlyDynasty
Your homerism impairs your judgment. It's what makes you say (and actually believe) things like Diaw>Lee.

midnightpulp
:tu

I would agree with that. Splitter is still just an average basketball player at best. He might have certain needs he fits well, but is not a special player in any way.

Yep. Even Pop called him a blue collar guy. But sometimes those types of players are what's needed most on a specific team. Jefferson is certainly the better individual player, but he's not what the Spurs need right now.

They need more consistent wing scoring from a player who can create his own shot. Danny Green is a spot up shooter who will likely choke in the playoffs, and Manu can't be counted on to deliver a consistent 18-20 points per game any more.

stretch
02-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Yep. Even Pop called him a blue collar guy. But sometimes those types of players are what's needed most on a specific team. Jefferson is certainly the better individual player, but he's not what the Spurs need right now.

They need more consistent wing scoring from a player who can create his own shot. Danny Green is a spot up shooter who will likely choke in the playoffs, and Manu can't be counted on to deliver a consistent 18-20 points per game any more.

The ONLY reason this trade would make sense IMO is if they knew behind the scenes that Timmy plans to retire for some reason after this season is over, to try to replace him and retool.

stretch
02-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Your homerism impairs your judgment. It's what makes you say (and actually believe) things like Diaw>Lee.

who is the moron that said that?

FkLA
02-07-2013, 04:21 PM
How many great players in NBA history played consistently great on both sides of the ball? Just think of many of the greats over the past 30 years.

Magic
Bird
Kareem
Erving
Barkley
Malone
Stockton
Wilkins
Jordan
Pippen
Olajuwon
Miller
Iverson
Garnett
Kidd
Thomas
Ewing
Robinson
Duncan
Shaq
Dirk
Pierce
Nash
Kobe
Lebron
Wade

The only ones on that list who were known for consistently playing well on both ends is MJ, Pippen, Stockton (overrated defender), Olajuwon, Robinson, Garnett, Kidd, Lebron, and Duncan. That's 9 out of 26 transcendent stars over the past 30 years. Now many of the others showed an ability to step up defensively and be at least decent when needed, but if we are honest, that is basically every single player that plays basketball. Most of the ones who don't play consistent defense, its usually because they are A) saving their energy for offense and end of game defense, B) lazy and don't really care, or C) at a disadvantage athletically.

And just how many players in the NBA right now, are leaders of their team, and also happen to be the teams top defender along with top scoring threat? The only one that comes to my mind is Lebron.

So I think you can overlook his defense a bit. Give him an elite defender like Duncan to play alongside, and perhaps his defense improves? It's not particularly easy to have a strong defensive frontcourt when you play alongside Paul Millsap.

Irrelevant list tbh. Those players were way better offensively and didnt have anywhere near as bad of a rep defensively as Al does.

Which things are minimal or even a disadvantage, due to MPG? Why don't you go look up the stats in terms of %'s and per 36 minute stats, and more of the advanced stats, then get back to me on that, ok?

Splitter: 16.3 ppg, 9 rpg, 1.2 bpg, 60% shooting
Jefferson: 18.7 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 1.2 bpg, 48% shooting

Per 36 this season.

When I say ball handling, I'm not talking about dribbling the ball up the court like a PG. I'm talking about the ability to maintain solid control of the ball when faced with double teams and traps, or athletes who like to pickpocket you instead of playing defense. Al can handle all those things better than Splitter, and those are all things that big men have to face consistently if they are looking to score points.

Thats not ball handling. Normally thats referred to as good hands. Hes better at taking players off the dribble though if thats what you mean, but he should be since hes a PF/C hybrid and Splitter is a pure center.

average
Depends on your definition of average. I think Splitter can be a high-end role player, not a star but thats not average to me either.

FkLA
02-07-2013, 04:26 PM

Thats overplayed and misunderstood tbh. I said that fully expecting Diaw to return to top form (or close to) since he was in a great situation in SA. A top form Diaw being better than Lee is not a ridiculous statement. Its not like I still say that now that Ive seen that hes complacent with being a fatass.

stretch
02-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Irrelevant list tbh. Those players were way better offensively and didnt have anywhere near as bad of a rep defensively as Al does.

Point apparently is missed. But I shouldn't expect less from a Spurs knobslobber, and UTSA dropout.

Splitter: 16.3 ppg, 9 rpg, 1.2 bpg, 60% shooting
Jefferson: 18.7 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 1.2 bpg, 48% shooting

Per 36 this season.

Oh okay, gotcha. So basically AJ > Splitter. Not to mention, this is an off year for AJ compared to what he usually does.

So you haven't shown me how Splitter is > AJ in any of those categories, as you said he would be. I assume you will point to their FG%, but then when you take into account the types of buckets Splitter gets (finishing mostly off of pick and rolls), and the buckets that Jefferson has to get (creating his own shot), I think that debunks that myth. Plus there are plenty of other things to take into consideration, such as the fact that Splitters TO% is double AJs, his usage % is considerably lower, and assist % is lower as well.

Thats not ball handling. Normally thats referred to as good hands.

So being able to dribble through traffic, and protect the ball has nothing to do with ball handling?

:cry great fucking logic :cry

stretch
02-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Thats overplayed and misunderstood tbh. I said that fully expecting Diaw to return to top form (or close to) since he was in a great situation in SA. A top form Diaw being better than Lee is not a ridiculous statement. Its not like I still say that now that Ive seen that hes complacent with being a fatass.

When Diaw plays to his absolute top potential, then I can see him being COMPARABLE to Lee at best. He has more offensive talent, but that's about where it ends.

I know Diaw has plenty of talent, but you seriously think he is going to max it out, after being a lazy, injury prone fatass his whole career?

Lee is basically a 20/10 guy. Diaw has never sniffed those numbers, so I don't know what makes you think that returning to "top form" would mean he could top that. He would have to do a lot more than return to top form. He would have to surpass his previous level of play by A LOT.

:rolleyes

FkLA
02-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Point apparently is missed. But I shouldn't expect less from a Spurs knobslobber, and UTSA dropout.

Im still enrolled tbh. I didnt miss your 'point' either I just thought it was stupid and irrelevant.

Oh okay, gotcha. So basically AJ > Splitter. Not to mention, this is an off year for AJ compared to what he usually does.

So you haven't shown me how Splitter is > AJ in any of those categories, as you said he would be. I assume you will point to their FG%, but then when you take into account the types of buckets Splitter gets (finishing mostly off of pick and rolls), and the buckets that Jefferson has to get (creating his own shot), I think that debunks that myth. Plus there are plenty of other things to take into consideration, such as the fact that Splitters TO% is double AJs, his usage % is considerably lower, and assist % is lower as well.

I assumed Splitters bpg would be better without doing the calculations or bothering to look up the per 36 stats. They ended up being the same. Pretty sure that counts as a minimal advantage though, same with the other numbers. For your other point, check your stats--60% of Als FGs this season have been on jumpshots. 60% of those have been assisted. Dont act like he continually goes one on one in the post.

So being able to dribble through traffic, and protect the ball has nothing to do with ball handling?

:cry great fucking logic :cry

Check previous post after the edit.

jeebus
02-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Well, at least this is a closer discussion rather than that beautiful argument.

Spurs are gonna try to resign Splitter but there's no guarantee some scrub organization (lol Rockets) will throw out $20 million for 5 years at him. AJ would be a good backup option and it wouldn't be hard to persuade him to come here; he practically switched out his gatorade for Duncan's sperm in the playoffs last year.

SpursIndonesia
02-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Not as funny as how Mitch Kupcake (and Lakerfan) thinks that buying all the biggest names guarantees chemistry and success :lol

TRUTH BOMB ! lol. :lol

FkLA
02-07-2013, 05:24 PM
timvpimp whats your opinion of the golden god ?

Chinook
02-07-2013, 05:49 PM
I think people are giving Pop's system too much credit. It took him years to find players like Splitter, Leonard and Green (not Neal, though, because he had Mason before that). They are a big reason why the Spurs' ceiling instantly jumped when they got more playing time. We've seen what happens when Pop has to run his system with less-capable players like Mason, Bogans and pretty much every big before McDyess. Pop can't just transform bad players into good. Green's averaged the same per 36 numbers every year he's been in the league. Splitter and Leonard were both lottery talents.

I don't disagree that these players may not have been as productive as they are now in a different system, but that's true with every player in the league. Lakers fans should know all about systems making good players look bad (Howard and especially Gasol) and "scrubs" look good (Clark, Goudelock and Ebanks at various points). Utah's system has allowed Jefferson to put up his numbers, and San Antonio's has allowed Splitter to put up his. I don't think Jefferson puts up Splitter's numbers for the Spurs unless Pop completely reworks his system. So who cares who's better in a vacuum?

FYM
02-07-2013, 06:34 PM
So after Diaw > lee. We have now spurs fans who wouldn't trade Splitter for Al J :lmao

midnightpulp
02-07-2013, 06:41 PM
So after Diaw > lee. We have now spurs fans who wouldn't trade Splitter for Al J :lmao

He'd be a bad fit at the moment.

Like I said before, Spurs need scoring wing who can create his own shot.

FYM
02-07-2013, 06:46 PM
He'd be a bad fit at the moment.

Like I said before, Spurs need scoring wing who can create his own shot.

A bad fit how ? If you have a shot at landing a guy like Al for this price (splitter). You do it.

talented players always find a way to contribute and to fit (well except for the lakers) and don't tell me that clever guys like pop, Tim, Manu and tp won't be able to play with Al Jefferson. Oh and :lol @ he plays no defense it is not 2008 anymore. Dude is not Duncan but he is no gooden either.

Latarian Milton
02-07-2013, 07:22 PM
al jefferson is a glorfied carl landry imho. a nice role player but not the right material to make a franchise player. dude is undersized for his position and his D is not much better than average tbh

Latarian Milton
02-07-2013, 07:41 PM
there's absolutely no doubt AJ is the better player than splitter as an individual and he would contribute more to the spurs if he became a spur despite him not fitting spurs system as good as splitter. spurs are relatively thin in the paint so a beefy big won't be a bad thing to add to their squad. the question is if this undersized nigga is worth what the spurs are about to give up for him. nigga will give your another scoring option at the offensive end but he's not likely to improve your D by any means. spurs would be a threat to us heat if they had a quality rebounder & shot blocker playing alongside duncan tbh. you can't expect the 36yr old to do everything on both ends of the floor

Brunodf
02-07-2013, 07:50 PM
A bad fit how ? If you have a shot at landing a guy like Al for this price (splitter). You do it.

talented players always find a way to contribute and to fit (well except for the lakers) and don't tell me that clever guys like pop, Tim, Manu and tp won't be able to play with Al Jefferson. Oh and :lol @ he plays no defense it is not 2008 anymore. Dude is not Duncan but he is no gooden either.

3rd worst defender in the NBA.

FYM
02-07-2013, 08:14 PM
3rd worst defender in the NBA.

Yeah sure

spurraider21
02-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Isn't all the talk of dealing Al happening so the jazz clear up their front court? If so what would picking up Tiago accomplish?