PDA

View Full Version : Spurs summer league roster

Kori Ellis
07-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Mahinmi to forego summer
Web Posted: 07/03/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070305.7C.BKNspurs.summerleague.2e882288.html

The roster for the Spurs' summer-league team that will compete in the annual Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City won't include their first-round draft pick.

Ian Mahinmi, an 18-year-old forward from France who was the 28th player selected in the 2005 NBA Draft, will be competing for France in the European Under-20 Championships in Russia while the Spurs' summer league team is competing in Utah, beginning July 15.

The Spurs hope to have Sergei Karaulov, a 7-foot center from Uzbekistan whose NBA rights the Spurs acquired from the Atlanta Hawks on draft night in 2004, on the summer-league team. Karaulov played last season in the Russian B pro league.

The Spurs have received commitments from nine players for their summer roster and have scheduled a minicamp, beginning July 10, to which players will be given a chance to make the summer-league squad.

Players expected to be on the Spurs' summer-league roster:

Andre Barrett, a 5-foot-10 point guard who played last season for the Houston Rockets and Orlando Magic.

Justin Hamilton, a 6-3 guard from the University of Florida who played last season for Real Madrid in the Spanish pro league.

Melvin Sanders, a 6-5 forward who played the past two seasons in the Continental Basketball Association.

Britton Johnson, a 6-10 forward from the University of Utah who was on the Indiana Pacers' roster last season.

Marcus Haslip, a 6-10 forward from the University of Tennessee who was a first-round draft pick of the Milwaukee Bucks in 2002 and has played for the Bucks and the Indiana Pacers.

Jamal Sampson, a 6-11 forward who played last season with the Charlotte Bobcats.

Josh Asselin, a 6-11 forward from the University of Michigan who played in the Spanish pro league last season.

B.J. Elder, a 6-4 guard-forward from Georgia Tech who was undrafted Tuesday.

Ondrej Starosta, a 7-2 center from the Czech Republic.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Weird roster. There's players up to 6'5 .. and then players 6'10 and up. The players that I thought the Spurs would target are the 6'8-6'9 SF's. What do I know :lol

missmyzte
07-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Jamal Sampson started out with the Lakers but had back troubles all year that kept him on the injured list. We were sad though when Charlotte took him in the expansion draft.

timvp
07-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Very intersting summer league roster.

I was wondering what Sergei Karaulov was up to.

Samr
07-03-2005, 12:27 AM
This looks very much like a last-ditch effort to find hidden gems. And a poor one at that.

What happened to Devin Brown, LJIII, Beno Udrih, and other guys who have a legitimate, if not guarenteed, shot at getting playing time being put on these teams to further develop or hone their skills? I want to be saying "I can't WAIT for that guy to get some more minutes," as opposed to "well, he has long arms. Maybe he'll last past pre-season."

But I am VERY happy the Spurs might get Karaulov on the team. It'd be nice to see what this guy can do. I am optomistic with him.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2005, 12:31 AM
What happened to Devin Brown, LJIII, Beno Udrih, and other guys who have a legitimate, if not guarenteed, shot at getting playing time being put on these teams to further develop or hone their skills?

Beno is in Slovenia. I didn't think they would make Devin go again this season, but I did think LJ III would go. Maybe because they haven't picked up his option (yet?), they aren't having him in summer league.

timvp
07-03-2005, 12:32 AM
The Third will probably be added if the Spurs pick up his option.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Man, where's the SF conglomerate?

They must have something cooking in FA.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2005, 12:33 AM
Man, where's the SF conglomerate?

They must have something cooking in FA.

Yeah that's what I was wondering. I thought half the roster would be long SF's. I know that some guys not on this list are in their minicamp on the 10th, so they might pick up some SF's for this team then.

whottt
07-03-2005, 12:35 AM
That roster sucks badly...other than the chance to satisfy the Karulov curiosity I get zero enthusiasm out of it...

But maybe, just maybe, the reason we aren't looking for SF's is because we already know Glenn Robinson will be returning...

The need is so obvious at SF that there has to be something in the works....We had to put Barry on Prince a lot in the finals...There is no way Pop wants to have to do that again.

Solid D
07-03-2005, 12:36 AM
Marcus Haslip is a SF but he's been an underachiever.

The best player in that bunch, to me, is BJ Elder. He's got a strong build and he can post up well and he can really shoot the basketball. He's a very solid and competitive player and wasn't drafted because he's short for a 2 guard.

E20
07-03-2005, 12:36 AM
Would it be normal for NBA players like let's say Tony to play in the Summer League?

Solid D
07-03-2005, 12:41 AM
One other player I just noticed is Justin Hamilton. He has played very well for Real Madrid and was the leading scorer for them in the final game against Tau where Tau blew an 8 point lead.

whottt
07-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Was Haislip even in the NBA last season?

Doesn't sound like a guy who is going to contribute anything next season, even if he does have potential.

whottt
07-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Would it be normal for NBA players like let's say Tony to play in the Summer League?

No..

ChumpDumper
07-03-2005, 12:52 AM
Britton and Haislip are "extra long" forwards.

Haislip was a tremendous bust -- #13 pick a few years back -- I think he was traded and waived last season.

LJIII is likely on hold becuase the Spurs have someone targeted who hasn't commited or a trade has yet to be worked out -- these two don't look like threats to him at this point.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2005, 12:52 AM
Well there's only six teams at RMR this year. I wonder if the Spurs are scouting heavily at the Vegas summer league (even though they don't have a team there). There's 16 teams and the rosters I've seen for Vegas seem much better than the RMR ones that I've seen so far.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2005, 12:53 AM
Sampson is actually a very good rebounder, but it remains to be seen if he can do anything else.

leemajors
07-03-2005, 12:53 AM
bj elder was the leading scorer on a pretty solid gtech team (when he was healthy this last year and last). hopefully those ankle problems are mostly behind him.

whottt
07-03-2005, 12:54 AM
Maybe the Spurs have a stud SF lined up but they want to wait until all the other teams lock up their rosters before revealing who he is so they won't get outbid?

The roster so far is very deflating... Doesn't look like a single SF is on that roster.

timvp
07-03-2005, 01:04 AM
I think you guys are underrating Melvin Sanders. I know he's Devin Brown's friend and has been close to making it in the league. In the CBA last season, he had a game of 54 points, 16 rebounds and nine assists. He's also a pretty damn good defender.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Hell, Charles Smith looks healthy -- give him an invite.

Get his running buddy Vonteego Cummings a ring while you're at it.

Solid D
07-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Doesn't look like a single SF is on that roster.

Haslip is a SF. He's not very good but he is a SF. Oh, maybe when you said it doesn't look like a single SF...you meant unmarried. :hat

whottt
07-03-2005, 01:08 AM
That's impressive...but I'm not under-rating him...I'm under-heighting him because he is 6'5...

Correct me if I am wrong...but don't we already have a 6'5 SF that can score, rebound and play pretty good D, who also just happens to be a board favorite?

I just don't see the guy being much help against Odom, Mgrady, Lewis and the like...

whottt
07-03-2005, 01:09 AM
Haslip is a SF. He's not very good but he is a SF. Oh, maybe when you said it doesn't look like a single SF...you meant unmarried. :hat

No, it's just when I searched his name I couldn't find a single active bio page on him at a major site...I just found a page that said he played PF in college...yipee.

timvp
07-03-2005, 01:14 AM
I think the team is pretty strong. Four players with NBA experience. Britton Johnson and Andre Barrett started some games last season, IIRC. Jamal Sampson can rebound very well. Justin Hamilton owned Luis Scola in the Spanish Finals.

Plus Sergei Karaulov might be a superstar knowing the Spurs' scouts :)

ChumpDumper
07-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Well it is summer league after all -- tweeners and scrubs. It's fairly plain the Spurs have something cooking on the FA/trade front. And it's likely something we will not have thought of.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2005, 01:15 AM
Dammit Jim, why couldn't Terrence Morris have a heart?

whottt
07-03-2005, 01:17 AM
It's almost like the Spurs are determined to not have a guy 6'8-6'10 SF on the roster...

Every other team has a glut of them...I think the Lakers have 46 of them on their roster, not including IR...it's not like they are hard to find...

ChumpDumper
07-03-2005, 01:19 AM
It's almost like the Spurs are determined to not have a guy 6'8-6'10 SF on the roster...It's LJ3 or Player to be Named Later.

Sucks not knowing but such is the lot of the offseason Spurfan.

whottt
07-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Maybe the Spurs know LJIII is a keeper and will be a major contributor this season and want to sign him to a 2 year deal now to get his bird rights...

He looked like a defensive stud to me...in the 3 seconds I got to see him...

He runs like Rodman you know...

ChumpDumper
07-03-2005, 01:24 AM
Truth is there aren't many free agent SFs who are better than LJ3. The Spurs could certainly be talking to those few FAs right now. A trade is also possible, but what are the Spurs willing to give up?

whottt
07-03-2005, 01:25 AM
I think the team is pretty strong. Four players with NBA experience. Britton Johnson and Andre Barrett started some games last season, IIRC. Jamal Sampson can rebound very well. Justin Hamilton owned Luis Scola in the Spanish Finals.

Plus Sergei Karaulov might be a superstar knowing the Spurs' scouts :)

Last I checked Karulov's numbers were underwhelming last season...and he's like 24 years old...he looks like a bust to me...to tell you the truth, he looked like a bust from the moment he was drafted.

You are just a Spurs junkie...you have to be one to get excited over that roster...I'd rather get a root canal than watch those guys play.

timvp
07-03-2005, 01:26 AM
I think ChumpDumper is right in thinking that with The Third on hold, that must mean this is something up. They'll probably take the next couple weeks to work free agency and make sure they can't get a better long three. The Third sounds like a fall back plan at this point.

It'd be nice to at least see him on summer league.

timvp
07-03-2005, 01:28 AM
Last I checked Karulov's numbers were underwhelming last season...and he's like 24 years old...he looks like a bust to me...to tell you the truth, he looked like a bust from the moment he was drafted.

All true. He looks like a bust. The only saving grace is that Russian team he was on had a lot of NBA caliber players on it. But being as old as he is and not able to make it to the top league means he'll probably never see anything more than a summer league game.

You are just a Spurs junkie...you have to be one to get excited over that roster...I'd rather get a root canal than watch those guys play.

:lol

Well last year's roster wasn't exactly stacked either. Take out Beno and Devin and what did you have?

Solid D
07-03-2005, 01:35 AM
They may have something up on the FA market but remember the minicamp on the 10th. They are holding that to try to cover as many bases as they can before Summer League starts.

whottt
07-03-2005, 01:36 AM
:lol

Well last year's roster wasn't exactly stacked either. Take out Beno and Devin and what did you have?

That's a good point but last years roster at least had some familiar names on it...other than Karulov and Haislip(who I will associate with being dumped by Milwaukee Bucks from this day forward)...I just don't see anything to get excited about on this roster...at least right now.

Maybe it's just bitterness because my SF project isn't on that team...

ChumpDumper
07-03-2005, 01:39 AM
There are only a few guys who might fit the "better than LJ3" standard in the Spurs' price range (LLE or thereabouts).

Lee Nailon
Bostjan Nachbar
DerMarr Johnson
Rodney White
Glenn Robinson?

Anything else would seem to necessitate a trade, given the Spurs' perceived priorities for the MLE.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2005, 01:40 AM
Maybe it's just bitterness because my SF project isn't on that team...

I think they'll bring 12 players. This roster is only 9 plus maybe Karaulov. I'm sure that they'll bring a couple SF's.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2005, 01:40 AM
There are only a few guys who might fit the "better than LJ3" standard in the Spurs' price range (LLE or thereabouts).

Lee Nailon
Bostjan Nachbar
DerMarr Johnson
Rodney White
Glenn Robinson?

Anything else would seem to necessitate a trade, given the Spurs' perceived priorities for the MLE.

You forgot about LJ's wetdream of Theron. :lmao

ChumpDumper
07-03-2005, 01:42 AM
lol. I said better than LJ3 -- Theron seems roughly his equal.

I'd like to see Sean Banks or Mike Bell on the SL squad.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2005, 01:51 AM
Interesting, Sanders played on the same team Spur SL alum Vincent Yarbrough played on in Belgium last year. Maybe even replaced him (Vince either left or was injured) -- it was only five games and he didn't do anywhere near as well.

T Park
07-03-2005, 02:20 AM
Im interested in watching Karulov.

I dont know how he can be declared a bust, if he was drafted last year and wasnt a starter on the team he played.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Was Haislip even in the NBA last season?

Doesn't sound like a guy who is going to contribute anything next season, even if he does have potential.

People used to say the same thing about Buckets too. [/devil's advocate]

whottt
07-03-2005, 02:39 AM
People used to say the same thing about Buckets too. [/devil's advocate]

:rolleyes

next season, even if he does have potential.[/rif, or non-aggie]

whottt
07-03-2005, 03:23 AM
TPark...your post has changed my mind...I am officially witholding judgement on Karualov until I actually see him play...and I thank you for straightening me out.

Horry For 3!
07-03-2005, 03:30 AM
Players expected to be on the Spurs' summer-league roster:

Andre Barrett, a 5-foot-10 point guard who played last season for the Houston Rockets and Orlando Magic.

Justin Hamilton, a 6-3 guard from the University of Florida who played last season for Real Madrid in the Spanish pro league.

Melvin Sanders, a 6-5 forward who played the past two seasons in the Continental Basketball Association.

Britton Johnson, a 6-10 forward from the University of Utah who was on the Indiana Pacers' roster last season.

Marcus Haslip, a 6-10 forward from the University of Tennessee who was a first-round draft pick of the Milwaukee Bucks in 2002 and has played for the Bucks and the Indiana Pacers.

Jamal Sampson, a 6-11 forward who played last season with the Charlotte Bobcats.

Josh Asselin, a 6-11 forward from the University of Michigan who played in the Spanish pro league last season.

B.J. Elder, a 6-4 guard-forward from Georgia Tech who was undrafted Tuesday.

Ondrej Starosta, a 7-2 center from the Czech Republic.
I know Barrett, Haslip, Sampson & Elder....all the rest I have no idea.

alamo50
07-03-2005, 04:41 AM
Jamal Sampson, a 6-11 forward who played last season with the Charlotte Bobcats

YES!!!

MI21
07-03-2005, 05:04 AM

If he ever made a Spurs team, he could possibly be the most athletic player ever on a Spurs roster. Dude is insane athletically.

mattyc
07-03-2005, 05:10 AM
The Spurs hope to have Sergei Karaulov, a 7-foot center from Uzbekistan whose NBA rights the Spurs acquired from the Atlanta Hawks on draft night in 2004, on the summer-league team. Karaulov played last season in the Russian B pro league.

Isn't that bit regarding the Hawks incorrect?

Regardless it will be interesting to see how he fares.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-03-2005, 06:54 AM
First, you have to keep Linton, if only for the marketable LJ3. I can see that plastered on shirts and shoes.

lol

Second, Kori or LJ, do you know whether or not NBATV will show any of the RMR games?

BronxCowboy
07-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Isn't that bit regarding the Hawks incorrect?

Yeah, I thought Sanikidze was the one they traded from the Hawks for.

BronxCowboy
07-03-2005, 07:00 AM
I'm disappointed that Mahinmi isn't going to be in the summer league. We'll get to see him anyway in either the NBA or the NBDL this season, right?

mattyc
07-03-2005, 07:04 AM
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~29583~2946516,00.html

Spurs look at McGowan: Former Pepperdine forward Glen McGowan will attend a minicamp with the San Antonio Spurs, according to his agent, Brian Elfus. If he makes the cut after minicamp, he'll play in the Rocky Mountain Review summer league in Salt Lake City.

McGowan, who averaged 19.2 points and 7.6 rebounds for the Waves last season, worked out for the Clippers, Lakers, Portland and Washington before the draft but was not selected.

"Glen has the ability to play in the NBA, for sure," Elfus said. "It's a matter of him being in the right situation at the right time. He has tremendous upside."

JUUOT
07-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Justin hamilton played mostly PG in college.
who beleive he could make the spurs roster at third PG?

Kori Ellis
07-03-2005, 10:46 AM
We'll get to see him anyway in either the NBA or the NBDL this season, right?

No. He's supposed to spend the next couple years in Europe.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2005, 10:59 AM
That looks like a summerleague roster. Nothing to get excited over, but yet, nothing to knock. It is definitely interesting that the Spurs want to bring in Karaulov and probably a good idea to see what he can do against summerleague caliber competition.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Here's a little info on Ondrej Starosta (http://www.bcsparta.cz/english/team/player.asp?StrID=STA). Plenty of extraneous info, but the guy is 7'2" tall and weighs in at 260 lbs according to that site...

http://www.bcsparta.cz/druzstvo/STA/starosta-preshlavar.jpg

Ondrej Starosta scoring over Veroslav Sucharda

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Here's some info (http://ramblinwreck.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/elder_bj00.html) on B.J. Elder.

Solid D
07-03-2005, 01:23 PM
It looks like Starosta signed with Strasbourg in the French Pro A League. Maybe it has an NBA out-clause or maybe the Spurs are giving him an opportunity to build on something for the future.

http://www.eurobasket.com/FRA/FRA.asp
ProA & B : Market news - Jun. 29, 2005 - by Aurelien Hipp

*Ondrej Starosta (216-C-79) signs in Strasbourg. The team was looking for a big man (215 or more) to play the Euroleague.Starosta had a pretty good season in Châlons(12.1ppg 9.4rpg in 28mins) but could avoid the team's relegation.Strasbourg also signs Sacha Giffa (195-F/G-77), who played for Pau-Orthez during the playoffs. Payne, Fajardo and Nissime are leaving.

mattyc
07-04-2005, 01:38 AM
Is Luke Schenscher gonna play for us too? I've heard he is?

Kori Ellis
07-04-2005, 02:12 AM
Is Luke Schenscher gonna play for us too? I've heard he is?

He's playing for Denver in the Las Vegas summer league. I'm not sure if he's playing at Rocky Mt. Revue.

Solid D
07-04-2005, 05:18 AM
Here's a guy the Spurs should take a look at in the Summer League...if he's not already committed to someone. Marcus Brown. He was one of the key guys, if not THE key guy for CSKA. Even though he's undersized for a 2-guard (6-3", maybe a little taller), there were times he was the straw that stirred the drink for a team that was in many ways, the San Antonio Spurs of Euroleague.

He's leaving CSKA with possible sights on signing with an NBA team. He's about 30 yrs. old and played briefly in the NBA with Portland and Detroit but he's really established his game over the years and is very seasoned.

http://www.euroleague.net/fotos/noticias/jornada1/med_1435_65.jpg
Marcus Brown

http://www.euroleague.net/noticia.jsp?temporada=E04&jornada=23&id=819

Marcus Brown of CSKA, April MVP

Brown: April's best
Even before it tries to win a Final Four before its home fans in Moscow, it can be said without exaggeration that CSKA Moscow has already played one of the finest seasons of any team in the history of European basketball. After having swept through the Quarterfinal Playoffs with two more clear victories, CSKA was left with an unprecedented 21-1 record that actually grows more impressive on analysis. It suffices to note that CSKA's undefeated regular season record came in the group that produced, by far, the most quarterfinal and Final Four teams. Talk to any of those opponents and they will agree that one player who has kept CSKA's focus sharp and intensity high all season long is the Euroleague's choice as MVP for April, shooting guard Marcus Brown. An all-Euroleague selection last year, Brown has been even more effective than ever this season, especially as a passer. That was evident in April as Brown led CSKA to consecutive Quarterfinal Playoff victories against Ulker. In the series opener at home in Moscow, he was CSKA's best scorer, with 16 points. In the second game, at Istanbul, he tied two teammates with 14 points while dishing out 8 assists. The Quarterfinal Playoffs in April represented the last step of CSKA's long-standing mission to assure itself a place at the Final Four in Moscow. CSKA didn't waver a bit, but rather marched right behind Brown's leadership to a date with destiny.

The Euroleague's MVP of the Month honor is one of several new awards approved before the season by the Euroleague Assembly. Although statistics and performance ratings are taken into consideration for the award, they alone do not determine who is honored. The winner is named by the Euroleague based on his and his team's performance during the previous month.

Brown: CSKA's leader
This season even more than the last one, when he not only made the Final Four but also joined an all-Euroleague team packed with legends, Brown has been CSKA's leader on the court. For what seems like any important possession in every game, the ball always goes through Brown, whether to the basket or a teammate. But watching him when his team does not have the ball - on defense, during free throws and timeouts - is to see his leadership at work. Brown is always communicating with head coach Dusan Ivkovic and with his teammates, making sure everyone knows of the details that need to be taken care of in order for CSKA to win. The results cannot be denied. At the very height of European basketball's competitive history, CSKA has won more consistently than anyone would have predicted. Except for its only down night of the season in the Top 16, CSKA would have posted an undefeated record that would have been unique at so high a level of basketball. After taking that first loss in March, however, CSKA looked as strong as ever in April. With Brown in charge, CSKA was in full control throughout the Quarterfinal Playoffs. The closest Ulker got to a second-half lead in the series was 6 points two times briefly in the opening game. What has been most remarkable about Brown's contribution to CSKA this season is the sacrifices he has made in his own statistics to make CSKA's great collection of talents even better. Always a dangerous scorer, Brown's average has dropped almost 3 points from a season ago, but at the same time he has met the standard of great guards by making the players around him better. April provided further proof that Marcus Brown is the heart and soul of a CSKA team whose season is already special by any measure.

The MVP of the Month is a new award that replaced the MVP of the Regular Season and the MVP of the Top 16. The MVP of the Month was awarded through the end of the Quarterfinal Playoffs, thus making Brown the last of six monthly MVPs honored during the 2004-2005 season. Brown will receive the award during Final Four weekend in Moscow.
New awards structure for 2004-05 Euroleague

spvrs
07-04-2005, 06:11 AM
Britton Johnsen
Birthdate: 7/8/79
NBA Position: Small Forward
College: Utah
Class: Senior
Ht: 6-10
Wt: 210
Hometown: Murray, UT
High School: Murray
Team Site Profile

2002 Stats

Strengths: Athletic wing player with great wingspan and length. Has an advanced understanding of the game. A very cerebral player who plays within his limits to a fault. Excellent frame and good speed for a 6'10" player. Has good hands and plays unselfishly. Solid passing ability combined with height allow him to make excellent feeds to cutters and post-up players. A solid defender but can get overpowered on the boards. Has a well-developed offensive game with the ability to take defenders of the dribble. Has good shooting mechanics and plays a fundamental all around game. His midrange game is excellent, however his range is somewhat limited.

Weaknesses: A great team player who suffers from not enough ego. Seems that he has the tools to dominate, but somehow isn't comfortable doing so. His lack of strength is his biggest limitation. He is pushing 24 years of age, so it is very questionable how much he can bulk up. His age may scare teams into thinking that his development has reached it's peak. Tends to drift and disappear at times, which hurts the Utes as he is clearly their most talented player. Also looks tentative on his shots from 18 feet and out. Seems to have lost some his confidence after his two year Mormon Mission. Was very impressive in Utah's NCAA Tournament run as a freshman. Seems to have lost some of the cockiness that made him so good.

seems like a prospect for the long 3. I doubt there is anything going on with the spurs like a trade for a SF. Spurs are probably waiting on LJIII just trying to see if they are going to get priced out for Devin...