PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Timberwolves - Feb. 6

timvp
02-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Tony Parker A
Shouldered a gigantic load while remaining efficient. Attacked consistently and ran the show with an iron fist.

Kawhi Leonard A-
Shot selection a bit iffy at times but he produced on O. Defense was tenacious. Fantastic on the boards.

Danny Green B+
Shot the lights out from deep. His threes made the difference. Otherwise, though, he had many bizarre decisions.

Tiago Splitter B
Decision-making on O was questionable. When purposeful, he was solid. Played strong, physical D.

Boris Diaw C-
Shot enough but didn’t make enough. Rebounding was too weak. D was average. Never found a groove.

Matt Bonner C+
Lively on D; won a few scrums. Missed another three-pointer then began to hesitate and didn’t move to space.

Stephen Jackson C
Outside shot looks shaky. Ball control was dodgy. Rebounded well and competed hard on D … but looks slow.

Gary Neal C-
He’s not going to stop shooting. Unfortunately, he remained cold. D wasn't that good but rarely got burned.

Nando De Colo A
Outstanding playmaking off the dribble. Played pick-and-rolls to perfection. D active; confidence high.

DeJuan Blair C+
Great work on the glass and passing a plus but struggled elsewhere. Miscues on both ends limited his value.

Aron Baynes B+
Physicality on D was great. Protected the rim well. Set mean screens. Far from flawless but effort was there.

Pop A
Utilized a full 11-man rotation. Mixed and matched to find working combos. Playcalling in 4th was outstanding.

EricB
02-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Disagree on Baynes. Didn't think he was good at all.
thought Splitter was quite weak especially rebounding.

chapnis
02-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Baynes was a C/C+ for me. His block was sick though!

angelbelow
Splitter was invisible for most of the game but was instrumental in helping the Spurs put this game away. As was Parker, Leonard, and Green.

I liked his activity but also thought he played poorly. Looked lost for most of the game IMO.

Mugen
im with TPark on Baynes. Hope he's better in the next few games.

Agree w/ pretty much everything. 1st half was forgettable for everybody sans Kawhi tbh.

DPG21920
02-07-2013, 12:28 AM
:lol Ginobili called Danny Green "Dverde"

Boomersgold
02-07-2013, 12:31 AM

Is that Argentinian for something?

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2013, 12:32 AM
baynes and splitter did a very good job at keeping the greek animal from doing any damage tonight...

tonights win was all joey crawfords 6th man role....

DPG21920
02-07-2013, 12:34 AM

verde is Spanish for "green" the color. So DVerde =DGreen

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2013, 12:37 AM
the emergence of baynes, has made blair expendable...

freetiago
02-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Splitter only played 9 minutes in the first half
didnt play the entire second quarter
easy to look invisible when teammates ignore you and the coach doesnt play you and opts for the Turds
even Sean trying to explain it at halftime was saying "well i think theyre trying to give Baynes a look which is why Splitter didnt play", but Baynes only played 3 minutes at that point

i disagree with the nando grade
i thought he got a lot of broken play type assists where he would lose his dribble and find a shooter at the last second
but he was put in a bad position
i believe the lineup he played with that led to the timberwolves comeback was
nando
green
jackson
blair
bonner

l o l

and that wanker is right
a lot of Spurs players made the right rotations on Pek and stood there with the hands up and they were calling them for fouls
they even called a few jump right up with arms up fouls on a few players
Pekovic even got a rip through foul

one interesting thing i saw the Spurs do defensively was send a helper (Leonard) to disrupt the open pick and pop guy then rotate back to his guy
it should help from us getting torched from the mid range but it still wont suffice vs OKC and Miami when Kawhi is Durant

Darius Bieber
02-07-2013, 12:42 AM
This game seemed kind of weird. It feels like the Spurs neither won or lost...

superbigtime
02-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Tiago should have played more, Blair less. Neal has turned into Finley. Give Mills some PT Pop.

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Tiago should have played more, Blair less. Neal has turned into Finley. Give Mills some PT Pop.

something needs to be done with neal and decolo everytime these 2 are on the court at the same time...fkn the backup pg role sucks dick seriously when 1 doesnt know who should be the floor general, cause neither does a good job at it

playblair
02-07-2013, 12:52 AM
call up cojo ...................

Boomersgold
02-07-2013, 12:53 AM
more blair hate ..................

Blair wasn't that bad, tbh. Wasn't a bad showing from him.

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2013, 12:55 AM
Blair wasn't that bad, tbh. Wasn't a bad showing from him.

he didnt do anything worth mentioning cause whatever his role was, is easily taken up by bayne

polandprzem
02-07-2013, 12:56 AM

TPark would disagree with you

ElNono
02-07-2013, 01:00 AM
I thought Baynes was better than Blair... which is not saying much, tbh

timvp
02-07-2013, 01:00 AM

Baynes was a C/C+ for me.

Obviously Baynes wasn't great but I thought he did well relative to the situation. He played physical D on Pek, made a few decent rotations and altered a few shots. On offense, yeah that post-up attempt on Ridnour was embarrassing but his screens created a ton of open room. Solid work given his modest expectations at this point in his transition, IMO.

(Speaking of Baynes, not sure how the stat keeper missed his controlled tip-in attempt ... )

Splitter only played 9 minutes in the first half
didnt play the entire second quarter
easy to look invisible when teammates ignore you and the coach doesnt play you and opts for the Turds
even Sean trying to explain it at halftime was saying "well i think theyre trying to give Baynes a look which is why Splitter didnt play", but Baynes only played 3 minutes at that point
At the time, I thought Pop was crazy. But in hindsight, it was actually a smart move. He could have put Splitter back in during the second quarter but Splitter already had two fouls and Pekovic was out there getting every call. If Splitter picks up a third there, it's likely he'll be in foul trouble the rest of the way. Instead, Pop gave Baynes some work against a guy he was built to defend.

And then, even with Pop playing it safe, Splitter still picked up four fouls. So, yeah, in hindsight Pop's caution regarding Splitter's foul trouble was justified. He kept him ready for a closing push and it worked out well.

i disagree with the nando grade
i thought he got a lot of broken play type assists where he would lose his dribble and find a shooter at the last second

Disagree, IMO. De Colo was patient and kept his dribble until he found an opening. Lately he's been too quick to pass it or otherwise give up on pick-and-roll sets. When he strings it out and utilizes his court vision, he is much more effective.

one interesting thing i saw the Spurs do defensively was send a helper (Leonard) to disrupt the open pick and pop guy then rotate back to his guy
it should help from us getting torched from the mid range but it still wont suffice vs OKC and Miami when Kawhi is Durant
It also helps that Rubio is so inept scoring-wise that it's basically 4-on-5. Even if you give him an open lane, chances were good he'd find a way to miss the shot.

Speaking of which, I liked Neal on Rubio. Neal's bad defense actually worked out well because it coerced Rubio into taking more shot. :lol

This game seemed kind of weird. It feels like the Spurs neither won or lost...
Disagree, IMO.

Great win. I think we're numb to Spurs wins at this point but this was a road win without TD or Ginobili. Yeah, Parker is beasting but getting a road win without two of your top three dogs is impressive regardless.

Snaq O'Meal
02-07-2013, 01:01 AM
baynes and splitter did a very good job at keeping the greek animal from doing any damage tonight...

Greek? I thought Pek is from Montenegro and is a Monteniggle (as Bane may call him).

HI-FI
02-07-2013, 01:05 AM
great win tbh, both teams were down key contributors. I love watching Kawhi grow with this team, just realizing more potential. it's great to see his mid range jumper is coming back following his tendonitis.

good to see Nando with a good grade. it seemed there were a ton of airballs tonight.

John B
02-07-2013, 01:05 AM
I like how Baynes was physical against the 290 lbs Montenegro native. And that's what the Spurs fans have been waiting for the longest time. I also like how he slides on the PNR ala Tiago. Even better, this guy has outside shooting so he can pop those perimeter shots, which opens the lanes for TP and Ginobili.

Bring on the Lakers… oh wait Pau is out 4-6 weeks with partial tear on his plantar fascia. And Dwight is also out with fake shoulder injury.. haha

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Greek? I thought Pek is from Montenegro and is a Monteniggle (as Bane may call him).

does montenegro have a mythical animal thats half man half something else? i leave the definition GOAT what you think it is, whether its GOAT or g.o.a.t...cause on some nights he plays like one of them descriptions

one of the highlights tonight from bayne on pekovic

http://youtu.be/mEqniEvNcnk

KL2
02-07-2013, 01:09 AM
Baynes started off really well, it was fun seeing him and Pekovic battling, he set some GREAT screens that picked off Rubio and allowed TP to score a couple of times or make a pass to a wide open shooter.

Towards the end he started doing poorly, I am certain it was due to his conditioning, he was breathing heavily and started jogging instead of running.

playblair
02-07-2013, 01:13 AM
........ @ baynes having a better game than blair ............ the guards continuously drove @ baynes .............

blair = better defender & rebounder..........

AussieFanKurt
02-07-2013, 01:15 AM
playblair please ban yourself

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2013, 01:16 AM
........ @ baynes having a better game than blair ............ the guards continuously drove @ baynes .............

blair = better defender & rebounder..........

so what was the excuse with the airball 3ft from the ring?

BackHome
02-07-2013, 01:28 AM
I love watching Splitter now he keeps on getting better and better and my man is dunking the ball...YEAH:) :)

Neal needs to visit a sport shrink man he is playing bad.

Bonner and Diaw are twins........:(

SJ is pretty much done as a player that air ball. :( ....well at least he will retire a Spur:) ...

freetiago
02-07-2013, 01:29 AM
whoever makes these scouting reports for the spurs should be fired tbh
theyve overhelped vs all the pass first point guards with no offensive game
prigioni rondo and rubio all had big games running the pick and roll and finding open shooters and making simple passes to the roll man who no Spur would step up to defend after Tiago stopped penetration
Popovich is giving too much respect to the PGs
if we play OKC he should force westbrook to beat us and cover Abaka better

also i liked what i saw from Diaw tonight minus the missing shots
he actually posted up quite a few times and drew double teams
but the guys at the top of the key who he passed it to were Leonard and Parker and they never shoot elbow/straight on 3s
if it was Manu or Neal they would have converted them

Neals also supposedly playing injured
if manu wasnt always questionable to play then spurs should shut him down
they can probably get away with playing mills in his place anyway

Baynes looks lost and fatigued
i remember him not going to the high post for a pass and Leonard had to keep signaling him to be there
also getting stripped by Ridnour on a hook shot..:lmao

Darkwaters
02-07-2013, 03:05 AM
SJ is pretty much done as a player that air ball. :( ....well at least he will retire a Spur:) ...

Which one? I think at least 5 players had airballs tonight, including Green, Parker and Jackson on the Spurs.

Darkwaters
02-07-2013, 03:09 AM
And damn, Rubio is shooting 31% from the field this year? Not from 3, but from the field? Thats just terrible.

chapnis
02-07-2013, 03:11 AM
Yeah there were a crazy number of air balls. And no idea why Rubio keeps shooting, they're leaving you open for a reason!!

letmk
02-07-2013, 04:02 AM
I think the grading should be based on the context. SAy like, Green's 3-pointers in the rout against Bobcats in their home court is just one of hot-hands of the team.

But tonight, each and every one of his 3-pointers is much needed. This game was written as a losing trap game all over the place. More often than not, nobody other than Tony can create anything. And the momentum was totally shifted to Timberwolves in many occasions in 4th quarter alone. But each time, Green's timely 3-pointer brings Spurs back into the game.

Actually not only his shooting, he has a few very impressive assists. One is in early 4th quarter, when the Spurs were in offense drought, he had one very neat pick-n-roll assist to Tiago. That play is rarely seen outside of Tony and Manu. Another one is toward the end of 4th quarter, he set up Tony beautifully with a cut to secure the victory.

Granted, he leaves a lot to be desired in this game, as the 5 seconds timeout (or even less?) by Pop after only 2-and-half-minute can attest for that. But overall, this win largely owes to Green's performance, and I think he deserves an A-.

biskvito
02-07-2013, 04:02 AM
splitter takes so few shots that if he misses 2 out of 5, it seems he missed too much... he made 60%, and 100% FT

Nero5
02-07-2013, 04:19 AM
It wsa the first time I have seen a Spur not be moved around at will by Pek. Baynes is his size. Not a great game from him, but his screens were effective.

spurraider21
02-07-2013, 04:38 AM
something needs to be done with neal and decolo everytime these 2 are on the court at the same time...fkn the backup pg role sucks dick seriously when 1 doesnt know who should be the floor general, cause neither does a good job at it
manu is the true backup pg... its why neal usually starts in the second unit

racm
02-07-2013, 04:41 AM
It wsa the first time I have seen a Spur not be moved around at will by Pek. Baynes is his size. Not a great game from him, but his screens were effective.

Baynes doesn't have to fill up the stat sheet. Just set great screens (Tony can attest to Pek being a great screener), clean up on the boards, and finish.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Matt Bonner pulled down a one handed rebound in traffic and made a basket when the Spurs were down 1. If that's not an A- performance at least then I don't know what is. ;)

For a guy who just joined the team, Baynes' defensive position is incredible. His ability to block shots and set screens is very good as well. Joey Crawford had a hard-on for rookie meat; I have no idea what fouls he was calling, but given minutes the whistles will start to get more friendly. He looks like a real NBA player.

Tony Parker made Luke Ridnour look like Tim Hardaway in slow motion with his inability to defend the world's slowest crossover. That was embarrassing.

Something's wrong with Gary Neal. If it's not physical, they need to let him work his way through it. He's a bargain, and if he returns to form, he's got a ton of value.

If the Spurs decide that they're likely to move Jack, they should consider picking up Gelabele if the Wolves don't.

DapDaGenius
02-07-2013, 04:59 AM
call up cojo ...................

Call up Cojo, get rid of Nando and Blair. Bring in Adam Hanga. Alternate Cojo and Hanga in Dleague trips.

ceperez
02-07-2013, 05:49 AM
I think the grading should be based on the context. SAy like, Green's 3-pointers in the rout against Bobcats in their home court is just one of hot-hands of the team.

But tonight, each and every one of his 3-pointers is much needed. This game was written as a losing trap game all over the place. More often than not, nobody other than Tony can create anything. And the momentum was totally shifted to Timberwolves in many occasions in 4th quarter alone. But each time, Green's timely 3-pointer brings Spurs back into the game.

Actually not only his shooting, he has a few very impressive assists. One is in early 4th quarter, when the Spurs were in offense drought, he had one very neat pick-n-roll assist to Tiago. That play is rarely seen outside of Tony and Manu. Another one is toward the end of 4th quarter, he set up Tony beautifully with a cut to secure the victory.

Granted, he leaves a lot to be desired in this game, as the 5 seconds timeout (or even less?) by Pop after only 2-and-half-minute can attest for that. But overall, this win largely owes to Green's performance, and I think he deserves an A-.

+1

SpurSpurSpurs
02-07-2013, 06:34 AM
And damn, Rubio is shooting 31% from the field this year? Not from 3, but from the field? Thats just terrible.

He is overrated even before he was drafted in the NBA. Not surprised of his FG %. And if you're the starting point guard of Spain NT, you don't need to do much TBH.

racm
02-07-2013, 06:55 AM
Rubio's jump shot is broken and he can't finish at the rim (even pre-ACL injury he was last in the league at at-rim shot percentage).

TJastal
02-07-2013, 07:10 AM

He made "weird decisions" whatever that means.....

Captivus
02-07-2013, 07:34 AM
I liked Baynes. He has only played in what...3 games? He faced Pek, which is not an easy task, and he didn’t look completely overmatched.
Let’s see how he plays against Detroit: Monroe, Drummond (?), Maxiel.

skulls138
02-07-2013, 07:42 AM
K Leonard is getting more creative offensively, taking medium range jumpers and layups. Cool.

racm
02-07-2013, 08:07 AM
K Leonard is getting more creative offensively, taking medium range jumpers and layups. Cool.

That was his game in college. Being the Spurs' starting 3 has forced him to learn the corner 3.

callo1
02-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Pop's rotations were a C at best.

bus driver
02-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Stephen Jackson C
Outside shot looks shaky. Ball control was dodgy. Rebounded well and competed hard on D … but looks slow.

isnt his ball control always dodgy

EVAY
02-07-2013, 10:20 AM
I actually agree with most of these grades. Baynes is looking fine, imo, for being as new as he is out there. And one the best things he does that the offense hasn't had since the days of Oberto and Nesterovich is play pulling guard. He sets great blocks for the guards making the runs to the basket. That can prove invaluable to our point and shooting guards who have been continually getting pounded as the 'go to the rim'. And if we don't get people going to the rim, we won't open up the three pointers, so that is a real plus for the team. I know he's going to get a lot of fouls called on him because he is new. He just has to be out there to do it. I foresee a second unit with Baynes and Diaw on the court at the same time as a good back up to the starting lineup with Splitter and Duncan.

And I am really pleased with DeColo. He looked confident to me, was finding open guys, made a few mistakes but so did everybody else out there. That's okay, he's a better back up than anyone other than Ginobili, imo, and I'm glad he is getting the burn in his first year to make him better.

I was glad that Green made his threes, and we needed them. But man, that man is the worst finisher on fast breaks in the history of basketball. He can blow a layup, a pull-up, a floater, etc. etc. His three has to be good for him to be on the team, imo.

Mal
02-07-2013, 10:31 AM
This Bynes dude is already being used as part of rotation ?

look_at_g_shred
02-07-2013, 10:34 AM
I actually agree with most of these grades. Baynes is looking fine, imo, for being as new as he is out there. And one the best things he does that the offense hasn't had since the days of Oberto and Nesterovich is play pulling guard. He sets great blocks for the guards making the runs to the basket. That can prove invaluable to our point and shooting guards who have been continually getting pounded as the 'go to the rim'. And if we don't get people going to the rim, we won't open up the three pointers, so that is a real plus for the team. I know he's going to get a lot of fouls called on him because he is new. He just has to be out there to do it. I foresee a second unit with Baynes and Diaw on the court at the same time as a good back up to the starting lineup with Splitter and Duncan.

And I am really pleased with DeColo. He looked confident to me, was finding open guys, made a few mistakes but so did everybody else out there. That's okay, he's a better back up than anyone other than Ginobili, imo, and I'm glad he is getting the burn in his first year to make him better.

I was glad that Green made his threes, and we needed them. But man, that man is the worst finisher on fast breaks in the history of basketball. He can blow a layup, a pull-up, a floater, etc. etc. His three has to be good for him to be on the team, imo.

And even when he doesn't block the shot, his presence is felt by the player driving to the rim and it alters their shot.

dbestpro
02-07-2013, 10:35 AM
so what was the excuse with the airball 3ft from the ring?

Reminds me of the quotes out there when Tiago first joined the team. The answer is it takes time, and for Bonner and Blair, time is up.

Paranoid Pop
02-07-2013, 10:39 AM
The offense looks like shit with De Colo running the point tbh. Cojo and Mills could probably do better. De Colo has a nice potential at SG, too bad the Neal-Green combo is cockblocking everyone else at that position.

Didn't Bud play Mills more than Pop IIRC? Probably surpassed the master already tbh.

silverblackfan
02-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the quick grades. Very interesting game, but it seemed like the Spurs had only to focus to get the game back under control. They have been doing that lately.
Tony is really taking his game to the next level. He has become so consistent on his mid-range shot that he is really unguardable when a good screen is set. Baynes is providing those screens and is looking very good at boxing out the lane for Tony to get to the rim. Hell, banging against Pec is no easy task, but for a rookie to hold his own without fouling out in 5 minutes...
Got to love the Spurs FO for finding these guys.

Embedded
02-07-2013, 11:05 AM
I agree with Mr. Baynes being developed quickly. The night where Bonner and Blair suffered knee "effusion" was a ruse, imho. Mr. Baynes will take some of the pounding off of Mr. Duncan and Mr. Splitter.

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2013, 11:13 AM
i really wanna see baynes shoulder screen some clown into the stands...

if we can get another big like that, we have ourselves the version of oakley/mason to clear out players

temujin
02-07-2013, 11:13 AM

:lol
Paisaje de Catamarca
con mil distintos tonos de GREEN......

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2013, 11:24 AM
with decolo, how much can u guys allowed him to be passive on the offensive end which is scoring...or you clowns ok with him as long no stupid shit and creating plays, since the depth of the bench scoring wise is 2nd to none in the league....

timvp
02-07-2013, 11:31 AM

Good post but I don't understand why you think the grades aren't "in context". Regarding Green, as I typed, his threes made the difference. Without them, the Spurs probably don't win (or at least it's a lot more difficult).

But part of the reason the Spurs were struggling was Green and his poor decisions. Off the top of my head, his poor decisions including:

-Playing Rubio for the shot instead of the pass to begin the game ... even though Rubio would struggle to score in an empty gym. The result was Rubio assisting on Minnesota's first four baskets. Without Rubio's assists, the T'Wolves would have struggled to score against the Spurs starting lineup.

-Picking up a second foul less than six minutes into the game by needlessly reaching in on Rubio near halfcourt. That's a bad decision because: 1) Ginobili was out so Green can't afford to get into foul trouble 2) Again, defending Rubio close makes no sense because he can't shoot.

-A fake backdoor cut that resulted in Splitter throwing the ball out of bounds. Green didn't acknowledge the mistake ... maybe because he doesn't know that's a mistake. Pop benched him, told him not to do that and sent him back in.

-On a one on four fast break, he pulls up for a long two-pointer. Air ball. The play there was to drive it all the way in or wait for his teammates. The Spurs had the lead and didn't need such a low percentage shot when they were trying to stop a T'Wolves rally. Parker yells at him. Pop benches him.

-Spurs up 7 early in the fourth. On an inbounds play, Green inexplicably doesn't defend JJ Barea in the corner. He just lets him stand there wide open. Barea gets the inbounds pass and drains a three-pointer that ended up sparking an 8-0 run.

There were other incidents where he'd leave his man on D for no reason, make freelance cuts on offense that hurt the spacing and otherwise were Green just didn't play smart, fundamental basketball. If he played smart throughout, the Spurs probably don't need him to catch fire from deep.

Overall, I think it was a good game for him. He got to learn on the job. Pop let him play through his mistakes. And then he got to experience what it feels like to come up clutch in the fourth quarter. I don't think he played great but this game should help him out going forward.

Spur|n|Austin
02-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Argentinian? You mean Spanish? :lol

roycrikside
02-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Good post but I don't understand why you think the grades aren't "in context". Regarding Green, as I typed, his threes made the difference. Without them, the Spurs probably don't win (or at least it's a lot more difficult).

But part of the reason the Spurs were struggling was Green and his poor decisions. Off the top of my head, his poor decisions including:

-Playing Rubio for the shot instead of the pass to begin the game ... even though Rubio would struggle to score in an empty gym. The result was Rubio assisting on Minnesota's first four baskets. Without Rubio's assists, the T'Wolves would have struggled to score against the Spurs starting lineup.

-Picking up a second foul less than six minutes into the game by needlessly reaching in on Rubio near halfcourt. That's a bad decision because: 1) Ginobili was out so Green can't afford to get into foul trouble 2) Again, defending Rubio close makes no sense because he can't shoot.

-A fake backdoor cut that resulted in Splitter throwing the ball out of bounds. Green didn't acknowledge the mistake ... maybe because he doesn't know that's a mistake. Pop benched him, told him not to do that and sent him back in.

-On a one on four fast break, he pulls up for a long two-pointer. Air ball. The play there was to drive it all the way in or wait for his teammates. The Spurs had the lead and didn't need such a low percentage shot when they were trying to stop a T'Wolves rally. Parker yells at him. Pop benches him.

-Spurs up 7 early in the fourth. On an inbounds play, Green inexplicably doesn't defend JJ Barea in the corner. He just lets him stand there wide open. Barea gets the inbounds pass and drains a three-pointer that ended up sparking an 8-0 run.

There were other incidents where he'd leave his man on D for no reason, make freelance cuts on offense that hurt the spacing and otherwise were Green just didn't play smart, fundamental basketball. If he played smart throughout, the Spurs probably don't need him to catch fire from deep.

Overall, I think it was a good game for him. He got to learn on the job. Pop let him play through his mistakes. And then he got to experience what it feels like to come up clutch in the fourth quarter. I don't think he played great but this game should help him out going forward.

I dunno, LJ. First off, he already experienced being clutch in the fourth quarter last year in that regular season win at OKC where he went nuts.

But I'm starting to think Green is like a rich man's SG version of Bonner. He's not very athletic for his position, he's incredibly uncoordinated dribbling and driving to the basket, he can't even finish off his dunks half the time, his basketball IQ is terrible, especially on defense, and against OKC in the playoffs he choked.

I guess for the money he's making we should be happy with Green, but I don't trust him, not for a second. He's a tease and the second we take him playing well for granted he'll let us down.

Paranoid Pop
02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
The thing is Pop and Tp seem to like him very much so it feels like its useless to even talk about it, he's a lock to start for a long time, we just have to hope for the best.

ElNono
02-07-2013, 01:43 PM

You're a hater, apologize to Danny Green right now...

Spur|n|Austin
02-07-2013, 01:47 PM
This Bynes dude is already being used as part of rotation ?

Tim's out.

Mel_13
02-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Didn't Bud play Mills more than Pop IIRC? Probably surpassed the master already tbh.

Nah, didn't happen.

Patty's playing time in three games under Bud:

DNP-CD
4:16
DNP-CD

And he wasn't the PG for those 4 minutes. He played off the ball next to Manu.

Paranoid Pop
02-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Nah, didn't happen.

Patty's playing time in three games under Bud:

DNP-CD
4:16
DNP-CD

And he wasn't the PG for those 4 minutes. He played off the ball next to Manu.

Compared to what? Two one minutes games?

Also Manu is never the PG, he might be the playmaker but I'm not sure how you can't argue that at this point zzzZZZzzz.

Bruno
02-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Yeah, it seems that De Colo is passing Mills in the rotation. Mills played more early in the season but in December/January/February, Mills has played 241 minutes while De Colo has played 341 minutes.

Right now, Pop PG depth chart seems to be:
Parker.........................Neal...........De Colo..Mills................................Joseph

Mel_13
02-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Compared to what? Two one minutes games?

Also Manu is never the PG, he might be the playmaker but I'm not sure how you can't argue that at this point zzzZZZzzz.

:rolleyes

Your agenda was, and is, showing.

Blake
02-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Jack's air ball three from the corner in the 4th quarter was brutal.

I think Sean touched on his hand still being an issue.

If that's true, I don't need to see him shooting threes, especially in the 4th.

BRs.Ganso
02-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Baynes was horrible on ofense

he lost the ball on post game to RIDNOUR... lol

Slippy
02-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Like what i saw out of Kawai. Keeps on getting better on both ends. When he was out, I saw him as as the missing link on what the Spurs wanted to do on defense and now it's showing. Those "middle of the pack" rebounds of his were huge and on offense his confidense is building.

Grades and comments are spot on.

PingPong
02-07-2013, 05:27 PM
I think Baynes did well against the satyr Pekovic. Even if he didn't shit in offense. This game was a more realistic demonstration from Bane and he can improve a lot, since he's raw. But he will be a reality in 2014-15, not right now. Until that, he will be the 4th or 5th big.

TD 21
02-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Yeah, it seems that De Colo is passing Mills in the rotation. Mills played more early in the season but in December/January/February, Mills has played 241 minutes while De Colo has played 341 minutes.

Parker.........................Neal...........De Colo..Mills................................Joseph

It's all situational. Injured Ginobili = De Colo ahead of Mills, in order to make up for some of the lost play making (and as an added bonus, to get Neal off the ball more). Healthy Ginobili = Mills ahead of De Colo, because he's a more adept spot up shooter. More of the latter could be coming, as Pop is clearly losing patience with Neal and has an aversion to a Ginobili/De Colo back court, which leaves Mills by default.

I understand why he didn't, but more and more it's looking like he should have went away from Neal earlier and at least given Mills and De Colo a 4-5 game stretch each as the primary backup. Instead, with the deadline two weeks away, they still don't have an answer and barring a trade, they're probably not going to for the remainder of the season.

Strategic
02-07-2013, 11:41 PM

This is the one position the Spurs don't have anyone to fill in big minutes if the starter goes down.

Bruno
02-08-2013, 04:36 AM
It's all situational. Injured Ginobili = De Colo ahead of Mills, in order to make up for some of the lost play making (and as an added bonus, to get Neal off the ball more). Healthy Ginobili = Mills ahead of De Colo, because he's a more adept spot up shooter. More of the latter could be coming, as Pop is clearly losing patience with Neal and has an aversion to a Ginobili/De Colo back court, which leaves Mills by default.

In December/January/February, Mills has played 68 minutes with Ginobili and De Colo has played 106 minutes with Ginobili.

Chinook
02-08-2013, 07:19 AM
But I'm starting to think Green is like a rich man's SG version of Bonner. He's not very athletic for his position, he's incredibly uncoordinated dribbling and driving to the basket, he can't even finish off his dunks half the time, his basketball IQ is terrible, especially on defense, and against OKC in the playoffs he choked.

I guess for the money he's making we should be happy with Green, but I don't trust him, not for a second. He's a tease and the second we take him playing well for granted he'll let us down.

Most of that critique isn't true ... of Bonner. Matt can actually finish pretty well. He can dunk and do layups a lot better than Green. He also manages to get his floaters up pretty accurately. It's just not his place to try to play in the paint. He'll often pass it back out if he gets the ball down in the post, because he doesn't want to take a low-percentage shot. If you have Bonner posting people up, then your gameplan is probably destroyed already. His (and Green's especially) BBIQ is pretty high, actually. He just doesn't really exploit it. He's not Duncan or Diaw, but he's not McGee, either.

In general, I hate that people think Green and Bonner are comparable. The only think similar about them is that they shoot three-pointers. That's it. Green's main value is his ability to fill up a stat sheet; Bonner has a good night if he gets 10 points and four rebounds. Green was an elite defender by some advanced metrics last year; Bonner is an elite offensive players by some advanced metrics. Green freelances on D, which gets him into trouble sometimes, but which has also lead to some victories (OKC last year and Houston this year); Bonner is actually a decent post defender, but he doesn't play good help. Most importantly, Green's production continued through the first two series of the playoffs; Bonner's doesn't even make it to the last month of the regular season.

If this season should have taught us anything it's that Green didn't necessarily choke versus the Thunder. He's had stretches of games this season where he shot just as poorly as he did in that series. It's not so much pressure as it is the law of averages evening things out. Does being the Barry Sanders of three-point shooting make him risky to keep in the rotation? Perhaps, and I am sympathetic to that argument. But a difference between this season and the OKC series is that Green is not letting three-point droughts take away the other parts of his game. There has been games where he's shot poorly from three but was near perfect on twos (including dunks and layups) and games were he's shot terribly from everywhere but still played a key role on defense and/or rebounding. If Green had been able to do that in the WCF, then maybe the Spurs could have overcome his shooting woes. But that's not choking (or at least there's no reason to believe it has to be); that's a young player getting down on himself because he's missing shots.

Even in that series, he had the best defensive points/100 on the team. When was the last time Bonner has been cold from deep, but still managed to have good stats in a series? I just think that Green is trying to do too much. On offense, he's trying to fill the void left by Manu by making more aggressive decisions on offense making riskier passes. That's lead to turnovers for sure, but it's also lead to him making some good drive-and-kick assists. We'll see how he develops, because if he can get his passing down, he'll be much more valuable.

TD 21
02-08-2013, 05:57 PM
In December/January/February, Mills has played 68 minutes with Ginobili and De Colo has played 106 minutes with Ginobili.

I stand corrected.

I think most of us had presumed that they'd prefer a shooter/off ball type next to Ginobili (I know they signed Ford and were probably hoping if all went well he could hold down that spot for 2-3 years, but that was before Green emerged, so the intent was to pave the way for Ginobili to start), but maybe that's not the case. Maybe they've just flat out had enough of guys who can't run an offense masquerading as PG's, or maybe with De Colo's improved shooting they think they may be able to have their cake and eat it too. One thing is clear: Neal or no Neal, Mills is just not in their plans as anything more than a deep bench option.

therealtruth
02-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Even in that series, he had the best defensive points/100 on the team. When was the last time Bonner has been cold from deep, but still managed to have good stats in a series? I just think that Green is trying to do too much. On offense, he's trying to fill the void left by Manu by making more aggressive decisions on offense making riskier passes. That's lead to turnovers for sure, but it's also lead to him making some good drive-and-kick assists. We'll see how he develops, because if he can get his passing down, he'll be much more valuable.

I think the best way to bust a shooting slump is to make a play on defense and get a steal or fastbreak point. Easy baskets tend to make the basket bigger.

Chinook
02-08-2013, 10:41 PM
I think the best way to bust a shooting slump is to make a play on defense and get a steal or fastbreak point. Easy baskets tend to make the basket bigger.

:lol If you think any shot at the rim is "easy" for Green, you haven't been watching him.