PDA

View Full Version : Gary Neal Is Slowly Becoming Roger Mason :(

JingleJangleJingle
02-07-2013, 02:28 AM
Why does this always happen...we have a fearless chucker who is clutch but then after a year or two they just hit rock bottom.

Is it just coincidence? Is it the system? Is it Pop?

DejuanorwhatDude
02-07-2013, 02:32 AM
Pop is valuing defense more and more thus Neal will see his minutes plummet.

SupremeGuy
02-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Chucker Neal is really aggravating me. Every time he touches the ball I start yelling chucker and boom there he goes bricking up the house. F'n lame.

spurraider21
02-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Mason was starting and averaged 30 minutes per game his first season on spurs... and averaged 11 points in his 1 good season

Neal plays about 21 minutes a game and averages around 10 points in all 3 of his spurs seasons so far.

In Mason's 2 years with the spurs he shot a combined 40% from the field... in Neal's worst year (at this point of the season) he's shooting 41%.

Neal "chucks" about 3.5-4 threes per game while Mason was chucking up over 4 threes per game.

spursparker9
02-07-2013, 04:15 AM
He is becoming the shoot guard version of Blair

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
02-07-2013, 04:15 AM
freakin horrible tonight against the wolves missing everything, airballing shit, stupid ass shot selection,
not to mention no matter who hes gaurding they are 9 time outta 10 gonna score on him.
starting to worry bout this dude............................................

Johnny RIngo
02-07-2013, 06:11 AM
Why does this always happen...we have a fearless chucker who is clutch but then after a year or two they just hit rock bottom.

Mason didn't even have one good year. He fell off towards the second half of his first season with us.

Darkwaters
02-07-2013, 06:21 AM
I'm definitely worried about him as hes in a serious slump.

But history backs him up. Hes been great for us in the past and has literally won us playoff games. Hes displayed that clutch ability that we salivate over. Thats why I'm willing to let him shoot his way out of this slump. Because hes proven that he can hit shots on the big stage. Shooters go through slumps, and hes in a bad one. But I'll throw my support behind him all day long. Hes earned that much.

Besides, it's not like we're losing games because of him. We're still on an 11 game win streak afterall.

bigfan
02-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Well, he certainly has sucked lately but he is the only guy that is never afraid to take a shot. Remember in the playoffs when we pass around (think Diaw/Bonner) and nobody shoots? For right now I think we just hope he gets his touch back soon; we all know the guy can be a lights out shooter.

bus driver
02-07-2013, 09:54 AM
its like sean said, he is in a slump.

bklynspursfan
02-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Let him get his slump out the way now... Yes he's looked horrible, but this dude has hit plenty of big/timely shots for us.

Russ
02-07-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm the biggest Gary Neal fan around, but even I'm getting a little bit worried . . .

Bill_Brasky
02-07-2013, 12:15 PM
He can hit big shots in the playoffs. We need him.

8FOR!3
02-07-2013, 12:18 PM
He's in a slump, he's a pretty bad defender, but when the playoffs come we're going to need a guy for certain situations who's a fearless shooter. Neal fits the mold.

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2013, 12:23 PM
the only time this clown hits big shots was when he was playin his original role

not the role of hero mode

look_at_g_shred
02-07-2013, 12:49 PM
:toast
He's in a slump, he's a pretty bad defender, but when the playoffs come we're going to need a guy for certain situations who's a fearless shooter. Neal fits the mold.

Hemotivo
02-07-2013, 01:47 PM
he will shoot better after the trade deadline

ace3g
02-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Not sure but this is easily his worst stretch of basketball in a Spurs uniform. Usually he has 1 or 2 games every now and then where he can't miss that makes you forget about his defensive deficiencies.

DPG21920
02-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I know he's partying a lot fwiw :lol

hater
02-07-2013, 03:42 PM
IMO teams just learn to neutralize these one trick ponies over time. And it gets worse in the playoffs where teams face each other multiple times

It's a good thing this is becoming evident in regular season and not in playoffs. But it's really a problem with no solution. Neal, Green = one trick ponies that will be nonfactors in the playoffs

Budkin
02-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Don't understand what happened. He used to Neal with it.

objective
02-07-2013, 05:19 PM
according the Jazz pbp guy Mason is #1 in the NBA for 3pt shooting at 55% since January 1.

Could Neal be worse than Mason? :lol

DapDaGenius
02-07-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't like Neal controlling the ball. He forces way too many shots. He is best just shooting when we pass him the ball for the shot.(This has been said many times.).

FkLA
02-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Neal gets into a slump hes suddenly RMJ. Then he ends up shooting himself out of it, while hitting a couple clutch shots in the process and ST shuts up. Rinse and repeat. Ive probably seen this same thread about 10 times since last season.

KaiRMD1
02-07-2013, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't go that route. Roger Mason had a good half season with us, Neal has been pretty good for two and a half seasons. He's a shooter, simple as that. Guy is gonna have slumps but for the most part, he makes threes. To expect anything else from him besides shooting and missing is asking too much unfortunately. But he's not Roger Mason, not even close. He's what Roger Mason should have been if anything.

mingus
02-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Neal is far passed the point where he has to prove that he isn't the embarrassment that RMJ is.

mingus
02-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Neal is a dead eye shooter who is in a slump. Even the best shooters have slumps.

Beaverfuzz
02-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Neal needs to take one of the day's off and shoot over 400 shots from the field, with at least 150 coming from downtown. Shoot your way out of it.

heyheymymy
02-07-2013, 09:58 PM
neal is still the real deal but he is in a pretty long standing rut right now. reminds me of finley the last few seasons of his career. clanking 3s for a few weeks straight, then all the sudden making it pour and hitting like he usually does again for a stretch.

Capt Bringdown
02-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Some guys start out showing something and slowly fade. Call it the Sidney Wicks syndrome. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wickssi01.html)
Nothing but diminishing returns from here on out with Neal I'm afraid.

lefty
02-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Pop destryoing Neal like he destroyed Mason

By playing them as backup PG

You dont play natural SG's as backup PG's, unless they are Manu, or Kobe for 5 games

Silent
02-08-2013, 01:20 PM
I noticed this trend :( sad

superbigtime
02-08-2013, 02:30 PM

He's in a protracted slump and he will shoot his way out of it. Even when his 3 ball is not falling, he can score with slashing jumpers. Mason could never do that, and he had zero play making ability. Even though Gary Neal can be frustrating, you gotta admit he does make some nice passes and tries to make up for it. Mason sucked. I'm surprised he still has a job. Giving up on Neal is like selling a stock low, you'll just regret it when the inevitable rebound comes along.

superbigtime
02-08-2013, 02:32 PM
I don't like Neal controlling the ball. He forces way too many shots. He is best just shooting when we pass him the ball for the shot.(This has been said many times.).

This.

Embedded
02-08-2013, 03:35 PM
He's injured and playing through the pain. Remember how good his lift is, well one of his calf muscles hurts at the point of release - that would throw anybody shot off.

cd021
02-08-2013, 05:41 PM
He's in a protracted slump and he will shoot his way out of it. Even when his 3 ball is not falling, he can score with slashing jumpers. Mason could never do that, and he had zero play making ability. Even though Gary Neal can be frustrating, you gotta admit he does make some nice passes and tries to make up for it. Mason sucked. I'm surprised he still has a job. Giving up on Neal is like selling a stock low, you'll just regret it when the inevitable rebound comes along.

According to Spursnation, Neal has only hit something like 30% of his shots in the last 10 games and 27% from 3. This is not including the 2-8 in Minnesota. He was already shooting below his 3pt% career average before this slump. He isn't a great passer, one of the few spurs who isn't. Mason was a better 3pt shooter, but Neal is more of a scorer unfortunetly he is undersized as a 2 guard, rather slow at both positions, and unathletic to boot. He can't just attack the rim like Parker and Manu when their jumpers go south.

cd021
02-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Pop destryoing Neal like he destroyed Mason

By playing them as backup PG

Neal had to play backup PG last season, wtih Manu & T.J Ford injured for the majority of the season. Neal can dribble... decent enough for a role playing 2 guard but below average for a PG. Playing Neal at the 2 guard this season, isn't going to work. Green plays 25 + minutes, Manu 23.5 minutes, Neal can't find consistent minutes there.

You dont play natural SG's as backup PG's, unless they are Manu, or Kobe for 5 games

Brunodf
02-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Slowly? 3 months and counting

waisman
02-08-2013, 05:51 PM
oh...If Neal can dribble...

BackHome
02-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Neal = Bonner

Ice009
02-09-2013, 09:36 PM
I know he's partying a lot fwiw :lol