PDA

View Full Version : SVP/Russillo Debate Kevin Garnett vs. Duncan

DejuanorwhatDude
02-08-2013, 04:01 PM
And come up with the answer that Garnett is better than Tim Duncan. Surprise surprise.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8929865

DesignatedT
02-08-2013, 04:09 PM
The whole thing is about how they love how demonstrative and boisterous he is therefore they'd take him over Duncan. Same ol story that's been going on forever now. Every Garnett > Duncan fan brings up how "boring" Duncan is either directly or indirectly and how crazy Garnett is and how they love watching him. Lame ass argument.

krukow
02-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Ummmm, they actually both said they'd pick Duncan.

They just said it was close (closer than I think it is). Russillo said Garnett could do more, he just didn't (which I'd also agree with. Timmy has maximized his abilities far better than KG).

Dex
02-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Ummmm, they actually both said they'd pick Duncan.

DesignatedT
02-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Oh. I stopped listening after like 4 minutes. Good, it's the logical choice.

spurs1990
At 3:00 SVP says he would take Duncan and then the other guy concurs.

The TAAS test fails once again.

FromWayDowntown
Don't really have any problem with their points, but to me, someone who says that Duncan is either not demonstrative or lacks fire is pretty much conclusive evidence that the speaker doesn't really watch the Spurs.

Duncan isn't as demonstrative as KG, perhaps (though I'd say that when it really matters, it's hard to find more genuine emotional outbursts than Timmy shows), but saying that Timmy isn't competitive or lacks fire is just wrong.

Juggity
02-08-2013, 04:17 PM
In the end, legacy comes down to hardware, attitude, and statistical production.

Duncan is a clear winner in the first two categories and a virtual tie with Garnett in the third.

DesignatedT
02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
The TAAS test fails once again.

TAAS is long gone bro. It was TAKS and now STAAR.

FromWayDowntown
02-08-2013, 04:23 PM
In the end, legacy comes down to hardware, attitude, and statistical production.

Duncan is a clear winner in the first two categories and a virtual tie with Garnett in the third.

Don't forget that Garnett, at this point, has almost 2 full seasons worth of games on Timmy (about 1150 for Duncan to more than 1300 for Garnett). Despite being 150 games back, Duncan is only about 1700 points and 700 rebounds behind KG in just raw numbers. As that suggests, Duncan actually has been a more productive player in terms of points and rebounds (per game) over the lengths of their careers.

capek
02-08-2013, 04:26 PM
The whole thing is about how they love how demonstrative and boisterous he is therefore they'd take him over Duncan. Same ol story that's been going on forever now. Every Garnett > Duncan fan brings up how "boring" Duncan is either directly or indirectly and how crazy Garnett is and how they love watching him. Lame ass argument.

It's like a distillation of generally what's wrong with the media. If you lurk at a site like real gm, you'll have difficulty finding one person who'd seriously argue Garnett>Duncan, and if one does pop up he's quickly named and shamed. And yet this is the prevalent narrative that comes out of the Sports "media." Television Sports media, television News media, is there any remaining doubt that this technology has pushed out "journalism" in favor of "media" to the detriment of us living in any kind of Evidenced-based world, to the point where Tim Duncan is not clearly seen as better than Garnett, Michelle Bachman and Alan West and their ilk can get actual real-world power, etc? This is not just another sign of the dumbing down of America?

I think I'm going to start a youtube channel, like what the Daily Show does with Fox News. Wth I've been meaning to learn adobe premier for a while. PM me if you want to help out. :greedy

eta: :lol didn't listen to it either. Still though, not throwing the smack down on this answer shows bias and false equivalancy. the general thrust of my argument still stands :blah

Brunodf
02-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Debate

:lmao:rollin:lol

spurs1990
02-08-2013, 04:35 PM
TAAS is long gone bro. It was TAKS and now STAAR.

Lol shows my age.

And as far as the debate, the only credence for Garnett is he's never had a Ginobili, Parker, or DRob during the majority of the career (EG pre Boston).

Solid D
02-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Perception: Duncan IQ 130 Garnett IQ 95

Richie
02-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Sounds like the both said Duncan.

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2013, 04:59 PM
everytime this debate comes up....all u need to post is a photo of rasho holding a championship trophy which ends all debate

admiralsnackbar
02-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Don't forget that Garnett, at this point, has almost 2 full seasons worth of games on Timmy (about 1150 for Duncan to more than 1300 for Garnett). Despite being 150 games back, Duncan is only about 1700 points and 700 rebounds behind KG in just raw numbers. As that suggests, Duncan actually has been a more productive player in terms of points and rebounds over the lengths of their careers. Chicken dinner.

mingus
02-08-2013, 06:07 PM
I think it's closer than a lot of Spurs fans think, but I would take Duncan over him because he was more clutch and a better low post scorer. Defensively it's pretty much a wash, but Duncan was pretty much automatic in the post offensively and came through when it mattered most most of the time.

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I think it's closer than a lot of Spurs fans think, but I would take Duncan over him because he was more clutch and a better low post scorer. Defensively it's pretty much a wash, but Duncan was pretty much automatic in the post offensively and came through when it mattered most most of the time.

u are either overrating garnett or underrating duncan down to the level of his competition......

Anonymous Cowherd
02-08-2013, 06:22 PM
I don't understand what desirable facet of the game of basketball KG is meant to be better at.

Johnsyounger
02-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Duncan shreds Garnett. Always has, always will. Talking about how Duncan isnt as demonstrative as Garnett, is like saying if Duncan had a worn a blue jersey he would have been better. That point has nothing to do with anything.

AussieFanKurt
02-08-2013, 06:54 PM
KG is good but fuck me.... he is nowhere near Duncan... Duncan's the best PF ever full stop.. KG is not

timvp
02-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Duncan > Dirk > KG, tbh.

spurraider21
02-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Duncan > Dirk > KG, tbh.

if there's one person's opinion i value on this forum, its yours, but I just don't see this one. are you forgetting about defense?

TDfan2007
02-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Duncan > Dirk > KG, tbh.

When it comes to Dirk vs KG, KG is clearly the better overall player imo. Dirk is/was more clutch and a better scorer, but that's where his advantages end. In his prime, KG was an amazing talent who could do almost anything, and he's also one of the best defenders in league history. KG just never had that intrinsic "X factor" needed to carry a team for necessary stretches. I won't demote him behind Dirk because of that though.

TDfan2007
02-08-2013, 07:37 PM
if there's one person's opinion i value on this forum, its yours, but I just don't see this one. are you forgetting about defense?

Trolling, perhaps...hopefully.

Old School 44
02-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Don't forget that Garnett, at this point, has almost 2 full seasons worth of games on Timmy (about 1150 for Duncan to more than 1300 for Garnett). Despite being 150 games back, Duncan is only about 1700 points and 700 rebounds behind KG in just raw numbers. As that suggests, Duncan actually has been a more productive player in terms of points and rebounds (per game) over the lengths of their careers.

Yes...and factor in playoff appearances and TD actually has a few more total points (reg season + playoffs) than KG, despite having 2 less seasons.

therealtruth
02-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Duncan > Dirk > KG, tbh.

Dirk > KG?

Obstructed_View
02-08-2013, 08:17 PM

Dirk's stepped up and carried two teams to the finals. There's something to be said for that. Not sure I agree with LJ, but Dirk's been pretty damn big in big games.

spurraider21
02-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Dirk's stepped up and carried two teams to the finals. There's something to be said for that. Not sure I agree with LJ, but Dirk's been pretty damn big in big games.
i'm not disprespecting dirk at all. his entire 2011 playoff run was one of the best individual playoff performances i have seen in a LONG time.

dunkman
02-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Dirk is better then KG, imo too. KG is a choker, Dirk is clutch and was unstoppable. Both had one MVP award, while KG has one DPOY, Dirk has carried the '11 Mavs and also the '06 Mavs to the finals. The best player of the '08 and '10 Celtics wasn't really KG.

Arguments could be made who's better, but in all fairness is hard to argue that any of the two is better than Duncan.

Obstructed_View
02-08-2013, 08:36 PM
i'm not disprespecting dirk at all. his entire 2011 playoff run was one of the best individual playoff performances i have seen in a LONG time.

And I'm intentionally disrespecting KG's clutchiness. He's Kobe Bryant without the willingness to shoot eight times in the last two mintues of a game and without all the hall of fame teammates to bail him out.

Spursfanfromafar
02-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Dirk indeed > KG. For the simple reason that Dirk, with his dodgy D, is simply the best offensive frontcourt player that I have seen or possibly anyone has seen since the 1980s.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-09-2013, 10:55 AM
I would add one tweak to this discussion which I think often gets left out of the conversation.

I believe that KG and TD have had roughly equivalent role players over the course of their careers (KG has had players on par with Manu and TP), but as far as organizations go, I do not believe that KG has ever had the benefit of playing with as good of a coach as Gregg Popovich.

TDMVPDPOY
02-09-2013, 11:13 AM
lets get this straight, every time the spurs played kg...they never took him seriously enough as a threat...

spurs never rock up to play them, there are other teams in the league spurs look forward to playin against

McGusto55
02-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Fuck KG....One Ring....lol

dunkman
02-09-2013, 02:52 PM
I would add one tweak to this discussion which I think often gets left out of the conversation.

I believe that KG and TD have had roughly equivalent role players over the course of their careers (KG has had players on par with Manu and TP), but as far as organizations go, I do not believe that KG has ever had the benefit of playing with as good of a coach as Gregg Popovich.

Rivers is as good as Pop, the C's get to win a lot of series without HCA. I would like to see the Spurs do that too. The Celtics are a big market team and they draft really well.