PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled by how Gary Neal is being coached

BlackSilver
02-10-2013, 12:07 AM
I know Gary Neal has struggled with his shot this year, and I don't care that he takes a lot of shots...what's strange is that he seems to be shooting from all over the court. No rhyme or reason to where his next shot might come from. I think he is the purest shooter on the team, especially from midrange. But even the best shooters generally have their favorite spots and plays, don't they? For example, when he shoots off a curl/screen at the elbow it's a beautiful thing. Why not run a steady diet of those plays? I remember Rip Hamilton was unguardable at it even though everyone knew it was coming.

Maybe they ARE running those plays for him and he's just not getting separation. Or, Pop wants him to shoot no matter where he's at, because surely he would pull Gary if he went rogue and shot from bad places.

T Park
02-10-2013, 12:21 AM
all the shooters on the team have green lights when they are open. If they are open and continually pass up shots is when they are benched. Other than Boris Diaw...

Dex
02-10-2013, 03:27 AM
I think a lot can be told by Gary's recent quote to the press, (paraphrasing) "If I can see the rim, I'm open".

Like most shooters, I'm sure Pop has told Gary, "If you are open, shoot the ball". Gary, in turn, feels like whenever he has the slightest bit of separation, he has the green light to take the shot. While this is a great strategy to use when he is hot or streaking, it can turn equally bad when he is cold or slumping.

However, shooting relies heavily on confidence. Telling a streaky shooter not to shoot if he is not sure of his shot is a surefire way to throw a wrench in his game. Confident shooters always believe their next shot is going to find bottom, and getting them to second guess that takes away one of their main strengths. Thus, it seems the approach Pop is taking with Neal is to let him shoot his way out of his slump, for better or worse.

Ice009
02-10-2013, 04:07 AM
all the shooters on the team have green lights when they are open. If they are open and continually pass up shots is when they are benched. Other than Boris Diaw...

Sorry, why are you posting under both names?

And I agree with Dex. A shooter has got to shoot his way out of a slump, and above all, stay confident. You can't tell him not to shoot, but you can tell him to reign in his shot selection a little bit.

TJastal
02-10-2013, 07:29 AM
I defenitely think Neal is being affected from having to run point (not his natural position), but what's nagging him even more is the TRIAGE of other guys who are getting minutes randomly at that position. There is no rhythym or rhyme to what Pop will do, and nobody knows what their role is going to be on any given night or how many minutes they will get if any at all.

In addition to the general confusion of the current situation, I don't think anyone (including Pop himself) has any clue what the plan will be come playoff time. It doesn't help anyone's confidence when nobody knows if this clusterfuck will be resolved one way or another or if the clusterfuck IS Pop's plan going forward.

Leetonidas
02-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Pretty sure the playoff rotation will most likely be:

Splitter/Diaw
Duncan/Jackson/Bonner
Leonard/Jackson
Green/Ginobili
Parker/Neal/Mills

Not sure why that's in doubt. You make it seem like the Spurs are a bunch of retards like Royce White shitting themselves because no one knows their roles or when they're getting playing time. It's like you've never watched the Spurs for the last decade

elemento
02-10-2013, 08:40 AM
I don't have a problem with Gary shooting. He is our best shooter. The BIG problem is that the PG experiment with Neal killed his confidence and confidence is really important for a shooter.

Neal is a SG and that's how he should play all the time.

jermaine
02-10-2013, 08:52 AM
You know, I dknt get pop. Why sign mills to an extension an play Neal at pg? Neal playing pg, like Mason seems to be fucking with his shot. Same with Aron. Blair constantly get beat an cant block a shot but Bayons gets no burn. Im puzzled.

Raven
02-10-2013, 01:06 PM
i agree with the author.

callo1
02-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Feast or famine. An ultra niche player who if he isn't on fire, hurts the team badly. If Neal is playing decent, what he does on the court is a wash because he gives it all back on defense.

Don't get me wrong, Neal can be a game saver as we have seen before, but I can't help but feel that he is wearing out his welcome with Pop. Neal is like a field goal kicker in the NFL...you come into the game, and are expected to do that one thing well, and he simply isn't doing it.

callo1
02-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't have a problem with Gary shooting. He is our best shooter. The BIG problem is that the PG experiment with Neal killed his confidence and confidence is really important for a shooter.

Neal is a SG and that's how he should play all the time.

I agree with this 100%, problem is, we are badly needing a backup pg. The only way to cover Neal up on the floor is to have him him on the floor when Manu is essentially running the point. The problem with that is then you are asking an aging Manu to run the show as our only competent backup pg.

I still believe that the second best Spurs pg is sitting in the NBDL, while the opportunity to get playing time with the core players is wasting away. Pop is a great coach, but he has always been bull-headed when it comes to minutes and matchups...playing Neal as a pg is like trying to fit a round peg through a square hole.

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
02-10-2013, 02:40 PM
^ Church

9 out of 10 times his man's gunna go right by him and either score, or make one of his teammates step up leaving someone on the other team wide ass open for an easy shot..
pisses me off.