PDA

View Full Version : speedy claxton???

amoretto
07-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Just wondering ,what team is speedy with now?Also,how much and how many
more years is does he have on his contract?Could a trade be worked out,to
bring him back to S.A.?I think he would be the perfect fit (again) for the
back up PG position.Nothing against beno,though.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Other than bringing the rock up against pressure, Beno has what makes for an ideal backup point. He's got the decision making ability, great range and consistency on his shot, and he's awesome at setting guys up.

Claxton has a fairly big contract, I believe.

boutons
07-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Speedy left because he wanted to start, but that didn't work out very well, even in low-lying New Orleans. And now he's got a high lottery pick PG Chris Paul to compete with.

With front court and contracts of Tony, cheap/developing Beno, Brent, Manu, where would another guard find minutes, never mind start?

ChumpDumper
07-03-2005, 10:30 AM
He's making about $3.6 million next season -- last year of his current deal.

exstatic
07-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Barry for Speedy.

strangeweather
07-03-2005, 01:54 PM
He's making about $3.6 million next season -- last year of his current deal.

Maybe next year, if Beno doesn't keep improving.

spurschick
07-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Barry for Speedy.

No way. I liked Speedy when he was here, but I really think that Barry will be much better next season and will be a strong backup for Beno at PG. I also think that Beno will have shaken off the rookie dust and be stronger in the playoffs.

ducks
07-03-2005, 04:46 PM
spurs get rid of barry for speedy they get out of barry's long contract

slayermin
07-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Beno was a rook and new to the US. I think he will be much better the second go around. I thought he was terrific in his first season, overall.

I would much rather keep Brent. He really gave the Spurs a huge lift by basically shooting them to a win over Phoenix in game one of the west finals. That gave the Spurs all they needed to cruise to an easy series. He also played well in the Finals. He wasn't great on the defensive end but he sure gave his best effort. Barry said he wanted to "Steve Kerr" his way to a title and I think he did that.

timvp
07-03-2005, 07:36 PM
If for whatever reason the Spurs have soured on Beno (bad attitude, lazy, etc), Speedy is on a short list of players I'd want as Parker's backup. The only knock on him is he doesn't stay healthy.

ducks
07-03-2005, 10:28 PM
speedy also can not hit a three pointer like beno

Horry For 3!
07-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Speedy is with the Hornets I believe

FromWayDowntown
07-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Speedy is a nice back-up, but I think he's vastly overrated by some around here, who wistfully remember his 4th Quarter play in Game 6 of the 2003 Finals and proclaim him to be on Parker's level. Frankly, I see more upside and positives out of Beno than I do from Speedy. Beno has been through the rookie wringer now and, despite his poor play in the Finals, actually contributed in positive ways at points during the playoffs. He's not the greatest back-up PG in the history of the NBA, but IMO, Beno does more things than Speedy and can stay relatively healthy for an entire season; plus he does that at about 1/3 of the salary.

manmen
07-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Maybe next year, if Beno doesn't keep improving.

Yeah give him one more year. I think he did great for a rookie next year all our players will have a better gel and with the addition of Luis Scola we should be in great shape. So, forget Speedy Claxton

Duncanoypi
07-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Keep Beno...Speedy lost his speed because of injury...

manmen
07-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Speedy is a nice back-up, but I think he's vastly overrated by some around here, who wistfully remember his 4th Quarter play in Game 6 of the 2003 Finals and proclaim him to be on Parker's level. Frankly, I see more upside and positives out of Beno than I do from Speedy. Beno has been through the rookie wringer now and, despite his poor play in the Finals, actually contributed in positive ways at points during the playoffs. He's not the greatest back-up PG in the history of the NBA, but IMO, Beno does more things than Speedy and can stay relatively healthy for an entire season; plus he does that at about 1/3 of the salary.

I think you hit it right on the button plus Beno can hit 3's

Spurologist
07-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Barry for Speedy. :nope

Sense
07-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Speedy is unhappy with the Hornets... he wasn't considered to start, I'm thinking he's gonna move sometime...

2centsworth
07-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Spurs realize Beno doesn't have the speed for the NBA. Speedy is too expensive.

Barry will be a good backup for now and maybe speedy in '06-'07.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Beno has one flaw in his game and it took the best trapping defense in the NBA to expose it. I'm not worried about him and I wish that the virtual GMs here would stop discounting him so heavily because of it.

midgetonadonkey
07-04-2005, 02:38 PM
I think next year Barry will really step it up. Just remember that Horry had a shitty post-season his first year with the team. He stepped it up big in his second and I think the same will go for Barry. He is too talented a shooter to keep bricking shots.

ducks
07-04-2005, 02:40 PM
horry sucked against the lakers first postseason with the spurs because he tried to hard

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Barry fits in extremely well in the Spurs' offensive system. The problem with him are his postseason 'jitters'. He seemed to get over those by the end of the Finals. Perhaps when he realizes that he shouldn't think and just play might those be a thing of the past.

I hope so.