PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies: So who said they were better without Gay?

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-10-2013, 06:37 PM
:lmao

Raven
02-10-2013, 06:44 PM
pretty much the worst trade of this year..

Reck
02-10-2013, 06:46 PM
DPG at the fort front. :lol

Brunodf
02-10-2013, 06:46 PM
That trade will payoff in the playoffs tbh...

DPG21920
02-10-2013, 06:48 PM

Link? I thought they would not be noticeably worse. That does not equal better. I felt they might be better defensively but worse offensively for an overall wash. Still really early and as HH said, they are not legit contenders although they were a legit playoff tough out.

Grit and Grind
02-10-2013, 06:49 PM
We are actually playing pretty good without him

Juggity
02-10-2013, 07:01 PM
2011 playoffs against the Spurs is basically the ceiling of what is possible for the Grizzlies. I think Zbo still has another series in him like that one, but without Battier and some of the other traded remnants of that team, it will be more difficult.

Gay was no transcendent superstar for them. Trading him was probably for the best.

DPG21920
02-10-2013, 07:05 PM
It's not like they have completely derailed or something so this is odd timing. They are worse than I thought, but they have not derailed and they weren't wining a title. A WCF run was the ceiling (which is great) but that would have been tough IMO.

Bayless has filled in some scoring, ZBo doing his thing still, Marc too. Conley is being a little more aggressive, but there is an adjustment period.

Clipper Nation
02-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Let's not pretend Rudy Gay isn't anything other than an inconsistent, low-IQ chucker... what really made the Grizzlies worse was trading half their bench to cut costs BEFORE they traded Rudy, tbh...

dunkman
02-10-2013, 07:27 PM
With Gay they had more offense.

Brazil
02-10-2013, 07:30 PM
:lmao yes where are they ??

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2013, 12:10 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ILq4vCD.gif

lefty
02-11-2013, 12:21 AM

AaronY
02-11-2013, 12:55 AM
They won their last 2. Odd timing.

Mal
02-11-2013, 10:21 AM
They still have solid guys on roster, but without slighty chance of winning it all. I mean I do like the way Conley, Gasol, Allen and even freakin Z-Bo are playing, but this team is at most a solid roadbump on somebody`s else drive for title. They need a scorer, but one way better than Gay.
I am pretty sure, they have WCSF exit planned.

Clipper Nation
02-11-2013, 10:46 AM
They weren't going to win a title before the trades anyway, tbh...

Now, if they end up trading ZBo by the deadline as has been rumored, Pera is already in the "worst NBA owners" conversation....

Brunodf
02-24-2013, 10:36 PM
7th straight wins:lmaoOP

AaronY
02-25-2013, 01:51 AM
Meanwhile Gay is chucking away at a 39% clip in Toronto.

racm
02-25-2013, 01:54 AM
Meanwhile Gay is chucking away at a 39% clip in Toronto.

7-3 in their last 10 though. I'd credit it to improved perimeter defense with Calderon out and Valanciunas getting minutes alongside Amir Johnson though.

whitemamba
02-25-2013, 01:56 AM

:rollin

AaronY
02-25-2013, 02:06 AM
7-3 in their last 10 though. I'd credit it to improved perimeter defense with Calderon out and Valanciunas getting minutes alongside Amir Johnson though.
Yeah, and while I'm not a fan of Gay he is a huge upgrade over the garbage Toronto was trotting out at sf before the trade.

SpursIndonesia
02-25-2013, 02:57 AM
Toronto's 5 games behind Milwaukee in the lost column, can they overtake them for that elusive final spot in the eastern conference playoffs standing ?

Memphis ain't got worse, but i think they don't get better all that much, at least not god enough to upset western top three teams out there. But their bottom line got much healthier though, for that i must commend their front office works as of late.

ElNono
03-09-2013, 02:05 AM
DoK with the bads, tbh :lol

midnightpulp
03-09-2013, 02:11 AM
I'll own up too. I thought Memphis made a mistake trading away their best perimeter scorer, who I thought would be a much needed asset come playoff time, since Memphis can't score worth a shit. But holy shit, is Rudy Gay a mental midget and as unclutch as they come or fuckin' what? 0-7 for 0 points and 3 TOs in the 4th and OT of tonight's game.

So many chances to bury the Lakers and this spineless fuck folded like a cheap suit.

Shitty fuckin' player.

Pelicans78
03-09-2013, 08:54 AM
I'll own up too. I thought Memphis made a mistake trading away their best perimeter scorer, who I thought would be a much needed asset come playoff time, since Memphis can't score worth a shit. But holy shit, is Rudy Gay a mental midget and as unclutch as they come or fuckin' what? 0-7 for 0 points and 3 TOs in the 4th and OT of tonight's game.

So many chances to bury the Lakers and this spineless fuck folded like a cheap suit.

Shitty fuckin' player.

He repeated what Eric Gordon did against the Lakers 3 nights ago.

Latarian Milton
03-09-2013, 09:24 AM
they ain't getting anywhere further than the 2nd round no matter w/ or w/o gay imho. their team is flawed and even though they can look good n tough in the regular season the majority of time, they will get exposed in the playoffs when confronting the real good teams like spurs, OKC and clippers.

however, it's still stupid to say losing gay has made the team better. dude ain't a perfect player but he can make solid contributions to any team if used in the right way, and he would be a decent role player for a title contender barring his contract (which's atrocious tbqfh). dumbshits also thought jamal crowford was a cancer when he was playing in NY and now he's an integral part of the best californian basketball team.

jag
03-09-2013, 11:35 AM
I've said this for years and said so recently in the Spurs Forum before the trade. Whether I end up being right or wrong, I always thought Gay was holding the Grizz back. Got a lot of friends who are hardcore Grizz fans, and they feel the same way.

FkLA
03-09-2013, 11:42 AM
First Lee turns out to be the worst interior defender in the NBA even though it was just 'gnsf fallacy' and now this...that jew DoK is in a slump tbh !!

jag
03-09-2013, 11:45 AM
As someone who has watched quite a few Grizz games over the past few years (because they're on local TV here), Rudy Gay has absolutely topped out. He is what he is. You're retarded if you think he has this bank of untapped potential just waiting to be unleashed. His shot selection is horrific. During almost every game he oscillates between being extremely passive/going through the motions on offense, and being a black hole with the ball. Sure he'll go for 20+ points every once in a while, but for every time he does that, he'll turn out a few 3-17, 5-17, 6-17, 7-17 performances. No matter the game, defensive matchup or flow of the offense, dude is getting his shots.

Gay and ZBo have never really clicked, so one of them needs to go. I'm obviously no Grizz fan, but I do know people who are, and many of them wish Rudy Gay would have been gone years ago. There's a reason for that.

Thread
03-09-2013, 11:54 AM
that jew DoK is in a slump tbh !!

DPG21920
03-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Lol

JamStone
03-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Grizz may or may not be better without Gay, but they're still very flawed because of their inconsistent offense. And since many people like to talk about scheduling when it comes to other teams and whether they are playing well or not, isn't it important to note that during their recent stretch of winning, almost all of their wins are against lottery bound teams? 9 of their 11 last wins are such games. The two wins against playoff teams were against Brooklyn and Golden State, middle of the pack playoff teams. No wins against the better teams in the league. I don't know how much better they are without Gay. I tend to think that if they are, it's by an insignificant margin. A better indication will be to see how they perform offensively in the playoffs, or at least against some of the better teams in the league. They do have a handful of games left against some of the better teams so maybe we'll see.

Raven
03-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Gay shooting threes isn't going to cut it tbh..

Grit and Grind
03-09-2013, 03:27 PM
We are 1 game back of the Clippers . But we have the Nuggs and Clippers if we beat both .... HOLY SHIATTT

thunderup
03-09-2013, 03:37 PM
First Lee turns out to be the worst interior defender in the NBA even though it was just 'gnsf fallacy' and now this...that jew DoK is in a slump tbh !!

:lol DUNCANownsKOBE is one of the most overrated posters here. A couple of months he was slurping at the thought of his shitty Arizona basketball team winning a chip. Now they've somewhat fallen off a cliff :lmao.

:lol idiot still probably thinks they will go all the way

Reck
03-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Lol

What does this prove? For how badly Gay can be they still lost a guy that can give you 20 solid points on a game.

Grit and Grind
03-09-2013, 03:47 PM
What does this prove? For how badly Gay can be they still lost a guy that can give you 20 solid points on a game.
He sucks I would rather have Austin Daye

TheCultOfPersonality
03-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Rudy Gay has never been the heart and soul of the Grizzlies (even when the Grizzlies were terrible) so it's not a surprise to me that the Grizzlies are still doing well without him. This isn't a Cleveland losing LeBron James situation here. Too many people who don't keep up with the Grizzlies (cough Magic Johnson) overrate Rudy and think that he's better than he really is.

DMC
03-09-2013, 06:49 PM
The Raptors are a shitty team. Rudy Gay didn't change that in any shape/form/fashion.

Grit and Grind
03-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Rudy Gay has never been the heart and soul of the Grizzlies (even when the Grizzlies were terrible) so it's not a surprise to me that the Grizzlies are still doing well without him. This isn't a Cleveland losing LeBron James situation here. Too many people who don't keep up with the Grizzlies (cough Magic Johnson) overrate Rudy and think that he's better than he really is.
Lol Magic Johnson should be banned from talking basketball and so should Jalen Rose . Bill Simmons was straight up owning those guys about how Memphis went to the 2nd round without Rudy and were 5 minutes away from the WCF lol . They treat Bill Simmons like a nerd just because they played the game and they think they know everything about basketball . That is why ESPN is garbo .

Reck
03-09-2013, 07:41 PM

Who's the blonde in your sig scrah? :hungry:

jesterbobman
03-09-2013, 09:29 PM
I think part of analysing Basketball is recognising that there is a difference between what a player is capable of/ how talented a player is, and how good a player is/ how their play effects the final margin.

Rudy Gay is a physically gifted player(High talent) but doesn't effect the outcome of games in a positive manner on a consistent basis.(Not actually very good). A big part of the stats movement is recognising that talent isn't worth paying for if it doesn't make teams better. We generally overrate players who seem like they should be good, because athleticism is an abviouos trait, whilst being in correct position, effective screens and shot selection aren't obvious from just watching.

td4mvp2k
03-09-2013, 10:48 PM
pretty much the worst trade of this year..
okc 2 tbh

Grit and Grind
03-10-2013, 12:53 AM
okc 2 tbh
You are so fucking dumb . Fugly ass cracker doesn't know shit about basketball . Tell me how we went to the 2nd round without Gay and we were a quarter and half from the WCF .... Tell me how with Rudy Gay we blew a 27 Point lead and lost at home in Game 7 huh . Where was Rudy Gay at those 2 key moments . What has he really done in Toronto they are on the same pace and he is shooting at 39-41% clip . Give me the answer to that ... Oh yeah that's right yo Bitch ass can;t give me a answer huh . Try not to get to salty next time

midnightpulp
03-10-2013, 12:54 AM
You are so fucking dumb . Fugly ass cracker doesn't know shit about basketball . Tell me how we went to the 2nd round without Gay and we were a quarter and half from the WCF .... Tell me how with Rudy Gay we blew a 27 Point lead and lost at home in Game 7 huh . Where was Rudy Gay at those 2 key moments . What has he really done in Toronto they are on the same pace and he is shooting at 39-41% clip . Give me the answer to that ... Oh yeah that's right yo Bitch ass can;t give me a answer huh . Try not to get to salty next time

Fuck Rudy Gay. On my eternal shit list now for that chokejob last night against the Lakers.

td4mvp2k
03-10-2013, 02:33 AM
You are so fucking dumb . Fugly ass cracker doesn't know shit about basketball . Tell me how we went to the 2nd round without Gay and we were a quarter and half from the WCF .... Tell me how with Rudy Gay we blew a 27 Point lead and lost at home in Game 7 huh . Where was Rudy Gay at those 2 key moments . What has he really done in Toronto they are on the same pace and he is shooting at 39-41% clip . Give me the answer to that ... Oh yeah that's right yo Bitch ass can;t give me a answer huh . Try not to get to salty next time:lol @ this DA thinking this team is the same as then.... talk about dumb and salty troll... :lol

TheCultOfPersonality
03-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Who's the blonde in your sig scrah? :hungry:
I don't know her name, but I do know that she is a Lady Cat. I got the photo off of the Charlotte Bobcats website.

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/gallery/2012-13-lady-cats-poster-shoot?page=12

Brunodf
05-01-2013, 12:28 AM
:lolOP

whitemamba
05-01-2013, 12:31 AM
:lolOP

thunderup
05-01-2013, 12:34 AM
:lol I thought DOK was right on this, but nah. Not after the Grizz began to utilize their strengths down low.

:lol DOK

HI-FI
05-01-2013, 12:39 AM
damn, this hasn't been a good week for mono or DoK. so much for expert analysis.

AaronY
05-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Gay was horrible against the Clips in the playoffs last year too

thunderup
05-16-2013, 01:59 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

lefty
05-16-2013, 02:02 AM
http://www.mamieyoung.com/dailydawdle/Photo%20op%20fail.jpg

Brunodf
05-16-2013, 02:12 AM
:king

LkrFan
05-16-2013, 02:14 AM
Link? I thought they would not be noticeably worse. That does not equal better. I felt they might be better defensively but worse offensively for an overall wash. Still really early and as HH said, they are not legit contenders although they were a legit playoff tough out.
-10 points for DPG
-10 points for HH

They are legit sons. Spurs will have to Neal with them grit and grind boys soon enough. :tu

LkrFan
05-16-2013, 02:15 AM

-10 points for D:lolK's shitty thread.

AaronY
05-16-2013, 02:21 AM
You must be in the negatives Lkrfan what with the threads you started pre-season..

AaronY
05-16-2013, 02:22 AM
Sessions Show thread..what was the final point tally on dat one?..

FkLA
05-16-2013, 02:26 AM
:lol Lee
:lol Gay
:lol Curry
:lol DoK

Splits
05-16-2013, 02:44 AM

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Holy+crap+wowow.+via+http+thefilmtroll.com_ad4c0f_ 4579535.gif

UNCLE-DREW
05-16-2013, 02:45 AM
Grizzlies are overrated at this point. They are good but not this good as people say.

yes they are a legit contender at this moment, But did you see how horrible the OKC offence was ? spurs will wrap it up in 6 if parker/manu/duncan plays 75% of their capabilities.

LkrFan
05-16-2013, 03:33 AM
You must be in the negatives Lkrfan what with the threads you started pre-season..
Nope...

http://troll.me/images/smokey-from-friday/i-was-just-bullshittin-and-you-know-this-mannn-thumb.jpg

:lol

DPG21920
05-16-2013, 09:06 AM
-10? I was right about Memphis. I said the Gay trade was good for them when most disagreed. I still don't think they are legit contenders. They can't beat the Heat. Hell, even the Spurs (if they beat GS) should beat Memphis. Memphis is playing well and they are a solid team, but they played an injured OKC team and they have many flaws.

DPG21920
05-16-2013, 09:07 AM
It's not like they have completely derailed or something so this is odd timing. They are worse than I thought, but they have not derailed and they weren't wining a title. A WCF run was the ceiling (which is great) but that would have been tough IMO.

Bayless has filled in some scoring, ZBo doing his thing still, Marc too. Conley is being a little more aggressive, but there is an adjustment period.

td4mvp2k
05-19-2013, 04:36 PM
:lol @ pooh bears... :cry rudy gay :cry

Quadzilla99
05-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Weird bump.

midnightpulp
05-26-2013, 09:37 AM

Shitty fuckin' player.

:stirpot:

AussieFanKurt
05-26-2013, 09:43 AM
We are actually playing pretty good without him

coulda used him this series

JamStone
05-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Could use him in this series, but probably don't make it out of the first round with him.

I think making it to the WCF for the first time in their franchise history kind of negates the Rudy Gay issue, even if they are struggling offensively in this series.

ffadicted
05-26-2013, 09:59 AM
I still think they're better without him. He's a flat out chucker and didn't really fit in with what kind of team they are. It's no doubt that they need better scoring, but Gay is not and was never the solution lol

td4mvp2k
05-26-2013, 11:11 AM
wit gay its 7 games

AaronY
05-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Could use him in this series, but probably don't make it out of the first round with him.

I think making it to the WCF for the first time in their franchise history kind of negates the Rudy Gay issue, even if they are struggling offensively in this series.
Yeah, he was horrible against the Clips last year in the playoffs when they lost to them in 7..

td4mvp2k
05-26-2013, 11:37 AM
The new owners, who took over in November, finally ended weeks of uncertainty Jan. 30 trading away leading scorer Rudy Gay to Toronto. Hollins wasn't happy, having lobbied publicly to keep his starters together for another playoff run.

"When you have champagne taste, you can't be on a beer budget," Hollins said a day after the trade.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9306076/2013-nba-playoffs-memphis-grizzlies-coach-lionel-hollins-focused-san-antonio-spurs-not-contract :lol

TheCultOfPersonality
05-26-2013, 04:15 PM
1. The Grizzlies struggled on offense this season with Rudy Gay on the team this season. The team averaged 93ppg on 43% shooting with him and 93 ppg on 44% shooting without him. You think the Grizzlies movement on offense is bad now wait til those Rudy Gay isolations get started. Plus Rudy is not a reliable 3 point threat.

2. The Grizzlies' 70-80% free throw shooters killed the Grizzlies in Games 2 and 3 (as well as other postseason games this season). We're not talking about overtime if Zach makes his usual 75% from the line in those 2 games instead of 3-8 and 4-8. We're talking about Grizzlies up 2-1 in this series.

Brunodf
05-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Memphis with R.Gay would've lost in the 1st round tbh.
Spurs is one of the few teams that has the big bodies to throw at Zbo and Gasol, just a bad matchup

spurraider21
05-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Yeah the offensively inefficient Grizzlies are sorely missing Gay's 40% shooting :rolleyes

BobaFett1
05-26-2013, 05:32 PM
this thread is gay

Chinook
05-26-2013, 06:27 PM
I wonder if they move Randolph now. They have to see that their roster just isn't going to cut it, and Z-Bo is a liability on defense and a diminishing asset on offense. A team like Houston could probably use him, but I don't know if Memphis wants anything Houston has.

The Grizzlies really just need a legitimate two-guard to bring off the bench. Even a player like Ellis or Lou Williams would go a long way.

DAF86
05-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Yeah, like many have said Gay's chucking ass wouldn't have made much of a difference. What the Grizzlies need is some three point shooting and Rudy isn't very good at that. Memphis needs a player ala Battier in 2011 more than a Rudy Gay, tbh.

racm
05-26-2013, 09:09 PM
tbh if Gay were on the Grizz the Clips would have beaten them, ZBo and Marc would be bullying them inside.

Plus, Pop would pull a Harrison Barnes on him and let him chuck while Gasol and Conley get no shots.

td4mvp2k
05-27-2013, 10:52 PM
:lol grit n grind sweep... :flipoff

Bynumite
05-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Sometimes you need a fearless chucker to drop a timely bucket and Gay was that guy in Memphis.

Memphis went through big stretches where they simply couldn't create nothing offensively.

AaronY
05-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Sometimes you need a fearless chucker to drop a timely bucket and Gay was that guy in Memphis.

Memphis went through big stretches where they simply couldn't create nothing offensively.
He was positively awful last year against the Clippers..they don't even get out of the first round this year if they had him..

Jeff Van Gundy
05-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Dok doesnt sound too bad now tbh....they needed an extra shooter that could get points in the 4th. Conley and pondexter were not enough.

jesterbobman
05-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Doesn't the fact that they made the Conference finals give a pretty strong sense that they're better without him?

I can completely understand their rumoured interest in Jared Dudley, his shooting would've been great, but it's not like Rudy is such a great shooter.

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Dok doesnt sound too bad now tbh....they needed an extra shooter that could get points in the 4th. Conley and pondexter were not enough.
I was wrong about this, tbh. Yeah Memphis ain't ever winning a championship with their current team but it was going nowhere with Gay.

All I'll say is that I place the blame on Hollins just as much as Gay (doesn't change the fact I was wrong tho). A good coach would be able to utilize Gay on a team so sorely lacking in scoring from its wing players.

Raven
05-28-2013, 10:34 AM
i do agree that they would be better with a battier type, but it's pretty obvious the trade was fuckin terrible. In clutch situations they had nobody to turn to and their ball movement sucked with or without Gay. Not to mention, they got a great defender in Prince but he was badly exposed down the stretch, and you cannot play with two offensive black holes in your starting 5. Also, he is due 14M the next two years so it pretty much means that they will have to hit the cap to keep Allen, or they will be forced to leave him, and that's very bad for them.
btw, :lol @ Austin Daye and Ed Davis making some noise :lmao