PDA

View Full Version : Dozenth Oden Update: Oden in talks to Sign with the Cavs on Multi Year Deal.

cd021
02-10-2013, 11:42 PM
I apologies in advance for the now cliche Oden updates. I had hoped we would sign him but ...

http://nba.si.com/2013/02/08/greg-oden-cavaliers-cleveland-contract-offer-rumors/?sct=uk_t2_a11 (Entire read here, alot more info at SI)

"The Cavs are expected to offer free agent center Greg Oden a two-year contract with a team option for a third year after the Feb. 21 trade deadline passes, a league source said. The contract would begin immediately. The Cavs have about $4 million in cap space, which they are preserving now for potential trades. Teams around the league don’t want to sign Oden until after the trade deadline."

Beaverfuzz
02-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Why would you want to sign Oden? He's kaput, just like Brandon Roy.

exstatic
02-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Second thread.

cd021
02-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Second thread.

At one point their were 4 updates on the 1st page of ST. this is my 2nd Oden update though.

cd021
02-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Why would you want to sign Oden? He's kaput, just like Brandon Roy.

Potiential is potiential. There are literally like 8 teams trying to sign him,I can't be the only one who would to take a flyer on him.

8FOR!3
02-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Signing Oden I understand. What I don't get is why they gave him a 2 year guaranteed contract.

Mel_13
02-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I apologies in advance for the now cliche Oden updates.

Here's an idea. Don't apologize and just add new info to an existing thread.

TheCerebral1
02-11-2013, 10:47 AM
I don't understand the concept of a two year deal or even an option for Oden.

dbestpro
02-11-2013, 11:05 AM
The Cleveland Clinic did wonders for a guy named Ilgauskas who was in worse shape than Oden. Cleveland is where Oden belongs.

TheCerebral1
02-11-2013, 11:28 AM
The Cleveland Clinic did wonders for a guy named Ilgauskas who was in worse shape than Oden. Cleveland is where Oden belongs.

A solid answer. Yes, Ilgauskas was in bad shape most of his career. Very valid point. They have the hole to fill I can see that too. Though he's not scheduled to play until next season.

Chinook
02-11-2013, 12:40 PM
We have player threads in the Think Tank for this reason. It's always best to look there as opposed to posting player news that doesn't directly involve the Spurs.

And before you say it: No, this never directly involved the Spurs.

Richie
02-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Presumably 2 year deal means the rest of this year and next year, with 14-15 team option?

Darkwaters
02-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Oden thread!

phxspurfan
02-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Good for him. Hopefully he has better luck and gives Cleveland a reason to love basketball again.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-11-2013, 04:27 PM
His agent is definitely working overtime to keep his client in the public domain. I looked up to see who that agent was and he's been pushing this since last summer. Dude's name is Mike Conley.

capek
02-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Here's an idea. Don't apologize and just add new info to an existing thread.

Mel_13
His agent is definitely working overtime to keep his client in the public domain. I looked up to see who that agent was and he's been pushing this since last summer. Dude's name is Mike Conley.

Mike Conley of the Grizz is his son. Conley, Sr has been representing Oden and his son since both of them left Ohio State in 2007. Conley, Jr. was the 4th pick in the 2007 draft in which Oden went #1.

dbreiden83080
At this point i would think his only shot would be to get an invite to training camp and make a team.. How can he get 2 year guaranteed deals when he has not been able to really ever get on the court?

dbreiden83080
02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Presumably 2 year deal means the rest of this year and next year, with 14-15 team option?

He was supposedly only thinking about playing next year..

Beaverfuzz
02-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Potiential is potiential. There are literally like 8 teams trying to sign him,I can't be the only one who would to take a flyer on him.

What potential are you talking about? He's not Grant Hill.

Ice009
02-11-2013, 11:50 PM

He had the potential to be one of the greatest defensive big men of all time. He was always a work in progress on offense, it was his defensive potential that was his main strength.

jesterbobman
02-11-2013, 11:53 PM
The thinking from teams is that he's a really talented big man who has been great when healthy, and if he plays at that level for 20-25 minutes a game he'd be worth 6 million or so. If there's a 1 in 6 chance of him being healthy enough to do that, it's worth it for the minimum.

outmap
02-12-2013, 01:15 AM
The Spurs are freeing up a roster spot for him by trading Blair for a pick or rights.

waisman
02-12-2013, 05:30 AM
4M !? haha.

oden broke .

cd021
02-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Don't get the Grant Hill reference. elaborate...

Chinook
02-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Don't get the Grant Hill reference. elaborate...

Hill came back from terrible knee injuries to have a long and productive career. He never regained his superstar abilities, though.

Darkwaters
02-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Yea, Grant Hill has been solid in a second life as a former superstar turned super 7th or 8th man.

JR3
02-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Multi year deal? that's a risk...

cd021
02-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Hill came back from terrible knee injuries to have a long and productive career. He never regained his superstar abilities, though.

Hill had a big contract that essentially guaranteed he would play in the NBA. Obviously he bounced back after an insane amount of injuries. Oden isn't going to be an superstar, thats not what i meant. I meant he could be an very useful big man within a rotation.

20 minutes a game something like 8pts, 5 rebs., and 1.5 blks per game would basically be what I'd be imagining what he could be as an bench player in the NBA.

Walton was a superstar, and managed to reinvent himself as a 6th man with the C's. McDyess managed to return as a useful role player after several knee issues ,as well. I wouldn't be shocked if Oden can comeback and contribute to someones team.

cd021
02-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Multi year deal? that's a risk...

Partially guaranteed. Use Brandon Roy's contract as an I.E. the second year isn't guaranteed. It's essentially a make good deal. That deal actually could become valuable because he can be traded and waived at a later date.

cd021
02-12-2013, 09:59 PM
He had the potential to be one of the greatest defensive big men of all time. He was always a work in progress on offense, it was his defensive potential that was his main strength.

Ryen Russillo (from SVP & NBA Today) was talking about how one of his former coaches was telling him how much of physical freak he was. He could switch on to a PG at the top of the 3 point line. Keep up with them as the attack the rim and block the shot with ease. That kind of sounds like what Dwight Howard became (pre-Lakers, at least.)

Chinook
02-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Hill had a big contract that essentially guaranteed he would play in the NBA. Obviously he bounced back after an insane amount of injuries. Oden isn't going to be an superstar, thats not what i meant. I meant he could be an very useful big man within a rotation.

20 minutes a game something like 8pts, 5 rebs., and 1.5 blks per game would basically be what I'd be imagining what he could be as an bench player in the NBA.

Walton was a superstar, and managed to reinvent himself as a 6th man with the C's. McDyess managed to return as a useful role player after several knee issues ,as well. I wouldn't be shocked if Oden can comeback and contribute to someones team.

I was just answering your question. And I don't know how contracts worked back then, but nowadays, a player gets all of their guaranteed money no matter what (except when off-the-court stuff allows a team to void a deal). So a modern Hill wouldn't need to make a comeback to get his money.

I generally agree with you that Oden could still end up being an effective role player. However, I think he's going about the process of doing that wrongly. I think he needs to go to Phoenix and wallow in obscurity for a couple of years while slowly building up his health and game. The last thing he needs is to be in a big market, or have Dan Gilbert breathing down his next. Oden still wants to be a superstar, and I don't think he'll be able to come back until he lets that idea go.

cd021
02-13-2013, 10:51 PM
I was just answering your question. And I don't know how contracts worked back then, but nowadays, a player gets all of their guaranteed money no matter what (except when off-the-court stuff allows a team to void a deal). So a modern Hill wouldn't need to make a comeback to get his money.

I generally agree with you that Oden could still end up being an effective role player. However, I think he's going about the process of doing that wrongly. I think he needs to go to Phoenix and wallow in obscurity for a couple of years while slowly building up his health and game. The last thing he needs is to be in a big market, or have Dan Gilbert breathing down his next. Oden still wants to be a superstar, and I don't think he'll be able to come back until he lets that idea go.

I believe Hill was on a 7 deal and spent much of the first 3 or 4 with DNP's. Thats not entire true about contracts. A team can sign a player to a mufti-year with little risk financially. Baynes in on a 3 year deal with the 1st 2 guaranteed for 1.1 million (granted this season is pro-rated so they can pay him less because he signed so late in the season) and his 3rd is worth 1.1 million qualifying offer.

Oden could be signed for a deal somewhat comparable to Brandon Roy ( who got more because he was "more healthy" and productive in his career prior to this season.) 2 year 10 million is what Roy got. Oden could conceivable sign for something like 3 years 10 million, with the the last being either a RFA or an ETA. This would be appealing to Oden because he doesn't need to prove anything in one season and if he is productive he can get an pay increase in RFA.

Splitter deal is also a good one to look at his 1st two season were for a combined 6.6 million with the 3rd being an Restricted Free Agent.

I really believe Phoenix staff to be somewhat overrated, they had Nash & Hill play well late into their careers. That doesn't necessarily translate into them being the best in the business. The Spurs & Celtics training staff should be looked at in that light as well. Oden taking time off from the mental and physical grind of constant rehabbing shows patience and maturity not to rush back. If he returns next year I don't think he would be ready by opening night. When he is healthy enough to play, i'd imagine some D league assignments as well to ease him back into the NBA.

Chinook
02-14-2013, 05:14 AM
I believe Hill was on a 7 deal and spent much of the first 3 or 4 with DNP's. Thats not entire true about contracts. A team can sign a player to a mufti-year with little risk financially. Baynes in on a 3 year deal with the 1st 2 guaranteed for 1.1 million (granted this season is pro-rated so they can pay him less because he signed so late in the season) and his 3rd is worth 1.1 million qualifying offer.

Oden could be signed for a deal somewhat comparable to Brandon Roy ( who got more because he was "more healthy" and productive in his career prior to this season.) 2 year 10 million is what Roy got. Oden could conceivable sign for something like 3 years 10 million, with the the last being either a RFA or an ETA. This would be appealing to Oden because he doesn't need to prove anything in one season and if he is productive he can get an pay increase in RFA.

Splitter deal is also a good one to look at his 1st two season were for a combined 6.6 million with the 3rd being an Restricted Free Agent.

I really believe Phoenix staff to be somewhat overrated, they had Nash & Hill play well late into their careers. That doesn't necessarily translate into them being the best in the business. The Spurs & Celtics training staff should be looked at in that light as well. Oden taking time off from the mental and physical grind of constant rehabbing shows patience and maturity not to rush back. If he returns next year I don't think he would be ready by opening night. When he is healthy enough to play, i'd imagine some D league assignments as well to ease him back into the NBA.

Superstars tend not sign non-guaranteed deals nowadays. So bringing up a rookie deal doesn't really apply to Hill.

Splitter signed a straight three-year, fully guaranteed deal. His year as an RFA doesn't start until next season, if he doesn't get a new long-term deal from someone (he will).

Once again, I am not saying Oden's next deal is going to be fully guaranteed; I'm saying Hill's probably was, so he (Hill) probably didn't need to come back to get his money.

And Greg Oden will never be an RFA again. That only happens in two situations: a free agent with less than three years in the NBA and a first-round pick after his fourth season. Oden was an RFA last season, and he signed a one-year, $9.8 Million deal to get rid of that distinction. Now that he's been released, he'll be a UFA whenever he's a free agent.

cd021
02-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Superstars tend not sign non-guaranteed deals nowadays. So bringing up a rookie deal doesn't really apply to Hill.

Splitter signed a straight three-year, fully guaranteed deal. His year as an RFA doesn't start until next season, if he doesn't get a new long-term deal from someone (he will).

Once again, I am not saying Oden's next deal is going to be fully guaranteed; I'm saying Hill's probably was, so he (Hill) probably didn't need to come back to get his money.

And Greg Oden will never be an RFA again. That only happens in two situations: a free agent with less than three years in the NBA and a first-round pick after his fourth season. Oden was an RFA last season, and he signed a one-year, $9.8 Million deal to get rid of that distinction. Now that he's been released, he'll be a UFA whenever he's a free agent.

My mistake. I apparently misunderstood the points you were making. Hills was fully guaranteed. I forgot about the RFA rules. Splitter is a RFA this off-season. I know you weren't saying that Oden was getting a fully guaranteed deal I was just bringing up contracts that he could be potentially signed to.